Liberty @ (-23.5) UVA, 3:00
VT @ (-3.5) Pitt, 3:30 ESPNU
Miami @ (-4.5) GTech, 7:00 ESPN
FSU @ (-18) ND, 7:30 NBC
(-17) Clemson @ BC, 8:00 ABC

Reilly
11-04-2018, 11:01 PM
Miami @ (-4.5) GTech, 7:00 ESPN ...

So either the nice Miami fans suffer a fourth straight loss, or Paul Johnson loses a home game where favored. That's what I call a win-win.

OldPhiKap
11-04-2018, 11:18 PM
So either the nice Miami fans suffer a fourth straight loss, or Paul Johnson loses a home game where favored. That's what I call a win-win.

Could not have distilled it any better than that.

MartyClark
11-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Could not have distilled it any better than that.

Why do we dislike Paul Johnson so much? What did I miss?

OldPhiKap
11-05-2018, 10:22 AM

GTech fans dislike him too. He is a generally surly and inhospitable guy I am told, and he comes across that way.

He also turned down the Duke job to take the GT job. Which worked great for us, because we got Cut. But still, there is some jilt residue.

And the damn cut blocks . . . .

PackMan97
11-05-2018, 10:24 AM

From what I can tell, he's just a salty individual and he doesn't like other people. Most folks are happy to reciprocate.

Some folks object to the way his lineman block as well. So teams that lose defensive guys for the season after play GT seem to hold it against the guy that designed the offense.

tteettimes
11-05-2018, 10:26 AM

He looks like Michael Moore......and he’s grumpy

sagegrouse
11-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Maybe three reasons?

Quote about Major Major's father in Catch-22: He hated all evil women who turned him down. We offered Johnson before hiring Cut.
He is a sourpuss, and no one likes him, even -- or especially -- at GT. Why should we?
Playing against the triple option is a total pain-in-the-butt and distorts our training and preparation to play other teams.

Acymetric
11-05-2018, 10:46 AM
The interesting thing about PJ...if they ever want to get rid of them, aren't they going to have a heck of a time finding a new coach? Converting that team to a conventional offense seems like it could be...painful.

PackMan97
11-05-2018, 10:47 AM
The interesting thing about PJ...if they ever want to get rid of them, aren't they going to have a heck of a time finding a new coach? Converting that team to a conventional offense seems like it could be...painful.

Not really, just a QB and a WR or two away. They block well, that's for sure. :)

budwom
11-05-2018, 10:59 AM
From what I can tell, he's just a salty individual and he doesn't like other people. Most folks are happy to reciprocate.

Some folks object to the way his lineman block as well. So teams that lose defensive guys for the season after play GT seem to hold it against the guy that designed the offense.

For some of us who followed Cut's hiring, there is MUCH more to the story, though in the end it worked out great for Duke. Johnson was Alleva's first choice to be the next Duke coach, and gave him everything he wanted, but he kept coming back for more...ultimately it became clear to everyone that he had no intention of coming to Duke, he only used what he got from us to increase his offer from Tech.
I don't mind seeing a guy negotiate to get himself the best deal, but I think there is a general consensus that he bargained in bad faith with Duke.
Plus he IS a sourpuss and his OL does like to dive at defensive players' knees and he's also a sourpuss. Glad Tech is stuck with him.
Also glad we just pilfered a commit he wanted to play QB for him (he'll be a receiver at Duke). Karma?

CameronBornAndBred
11-05-2018, 11:00 AM
While hard to defend against (thanfully Duke has figured it out), the triple option tends to be boring football. That is one of the reasons GT fans wouldn't mind seeing him gone, and a big reason I was happy he walked away from Duke.

PackMan97
11-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Just a reminder for Duke to take care of business.

luvdahops
11-05-2018, 11:44 AM
For some of us who followed Cut's hiring, there is MUCH more to the story, though in the end it worked out great for Duke. Johnson was Alleva's first choice to be the next Duke coach, and gave him everything he wanted, but he kept coming back for more...ultimately it became clear to everyone that he had no intention of coming to Duke, he only used what he got from us to increase his offer from Tech.
I don't mind seeing a guy negotiate to get himself the best deal, but I think there is a general consensus that he bargained in bad faith with Duke.
Plus he IS a sourpuss and his OL does like to dive at defensive players' knees and he's also a sourpuss. Glad Tech is stuck with him.
Also glad we just pilfered a commit he wanted to play QB for him (he'll be a receiver at Duke). Karma?

My memory on this may be foggy, but didn't he also make some disparaging comments about the Duke program for awhile after being hired by GT? There also seems to be no love lost between PJ and Cut, who generally seems to get along well with other head coaches. And the triple option is not only boring, but also can really limit a team's ability to come back from deficits.

devildeac
11-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Just a reminder for Duke to take care of business.

Yep, we certainly don't want to substitute a "W" for an "L" in c*rolina but we know what that'd spell...

Plus, they can go to L anyway.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-05-2018, 01:05 PM

...yep.....and an analogy that hits closer to home.....kinda like converting from OAD in BB.

DU82
11-08-2018, 11:04 PM
Take all sharp objects away from Wolfpack fans. Wake scores a TD with 30 seconds left to win 27-23.

PackMan97
11-08-2018, 11:05 PM
darnit! I just got all the pee smell out of my mattress...and now this?

devildeac
11-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Deacs 27

Raleigh Bed Wetters 23

So much for a Tier 1 Bowl Game for the NCSU Choke Pack. And I typed that as a secondary WFU fan who was rooting for the red and white but mostly blackly-attired Pack tonight, hoping for a big name bowl for the local team. Blecchh.

Edit: And I was formulating this (com)post as DU82 and Pack Man/PackMan were posting their thoughts.

PackMan97
11-08-2018, 11:08 PM
the red and white but mostly blackly-attired Pack tonight

Solid choice for the black uniforms when playing against a team whose primary color is black.

devildeac
11-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Solid choice for the black uniforms when playing against a team whose primary color is black.

We can have a cooperative black uniform burning some night later this season on the Durham-Wake County line. :p

Faison1
11-08-2018, 11:16 PM
Holy smokes, that was brutal. Did you guys watch all the reactions in the stands?

Having been to many, many games in Wallace-Wade, I feel for those fans. That's a die-hard group of people. They live with a chip on their shoulder due to reflective glow from Tarheel fans.

Having said all that, the ACC frickin' stinks this year!! A true smorgasbord of mediocrity!!

Bob Green
11-09-2018, 04:44 AM
Having said all that, the ACC frickin' stinks this year!! A true smorgasbord of mediocrity!!

Is it mediocrity or parity (below Clemson)? Bowl season will answer the question.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2018, 07:35 AM
I’m going with mediocrity. But would love to be proved wrong.

arnie
11-09-2018, 07:41 AM
Take all sharp objects away from Wolfpack fans. Wake scores a TD with 30 seconds left to win 27-23.

Sort of saw this coming, but thought it might be against the Cheats. Pack lost a lot from last year and replacing WVU with ECU gave them an horrendous OOC schedule. They’ve beaten 2 solid teams, UVA and BC; BC without their stud RB. The Pack doesn’t have a large margin of error, similar to the blue devils.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Sort of saw this coming, but thought it might be against the Cheats. Pack lost a lot from last year and replacing WVU with ECU gave them an horrendous OOC schedule. They’ve beaten 2 solid teams, UVA and BC; BC without their stud RB. The Pack doesn’t have a large margin of error, similar to the blue devils.

Certainly seems like State got complacent. I was driving last night so heard snippets of the game...on a WF network. Sounded like WF's offense was doing zip zero NADA against State. 16-6 after 3Q I think. I quit listening at that point. Quite a 4Q for Wake.

budwom
11-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Certainly seems like State got complacent. I was driving last night so heard snippets of the game...on a WF network. Sounded like WF's offense was doing zip zero NADA against State. 16-6 after 3Q I think. I quit listening at that point. Quite a 4Q for Wake.

I admit I didn't watch the second half, but it appears to me the Pack lost the game in the first half when several drives stalled, resulting in FGs...they had a big advantage and threw it away...
Like in bezbol, when your team has the bases loaded and no one out in the second inning, and you don't score. You can feel the approaching doom...

CameronBlue
11-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Maybe three reasons?

Playing against the triple option is a total pain-in-the-butt and distorts our training and preparation to play other teams.

True but don't you get just a little bit jealous when you see a box score like this one:

Total yards: 1st Downs 27
3rd down efficiency 4-12
4th down efficiency 2-4
Total Yards 565
Passing 104
Comp-Att 2-2
Yards per pass 52.0
Interceptions thrown 0
Rushing 461
Rushing Attempts 74
Yards per rush 6.2

...and to realize the opponent was your arch-rival? After about the first 10 minutes of that game UNC must've felt like they were on death row, watching the scaffolding as it's being erected in the prison yard.

Acymetric
11-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Is it mediocrity or parity (below Clemson)? Bowl season will answer the question.

Well, sort of. Conference bowl season results and the ensuing conference comparisons are as dependent on matchups as they are on quality of the teams.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2018, 09:35 AM
What is the conference record v. P5 teams to date?

PackMan97
11-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Nope, not complacent. Just showing our true colors. Throw over the top is the easiest way to beat us. Teams are starting to figure it out. Once Wake started throwing long they started moving the ball.

I admit I didn't watch the second half, but it appears to me the Pack lost the game in the first half when several drives stalled, resulting in FGs...they had a big advantage and threw it away...

Two FG's kicked from the 6, another from the 12. We've had this problem all season long.

DU82
11-09-2018, 10:41 AM
What is the conference record v. P5 teams to date?

I believe there’s only three wins over P5 teams, or at least only three road wins. One is Clemson over Texas AM, the other two are our wins over Northwestern and Baylor.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2018, 10:59 AM
I believe there’s only three wins over P5 teams, or at least only three road wins. One is Clemson over Texas AM, the other two are our wins over Northwestern and Baylor.

Really?!?

Wow. And Clemson didn't really win their game.

We rule!!

HereBeforeCoachK
11-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Nope, not complacent. Just showing our true colors. Throw over the top is the easiest way to beat us. Teams are starting to figure it out. Once Wake started throwing long they started moving the ball.

Two FG's kicked from the 6, another from the 12. We've had this problem all season long.

I heard Dave Clawson interviewed today, and he said that they slowed their tempo way down, especially in the first half, just trying to stay in the game for a half.
The hurry up part of their offense was kicked to the curb for the most part. They wanted to hang around and have a chance to steal one in the end. He also said they were determined to stop the run, were okay to bend a lot in passing yards away from the endzone - and then try and play tough in the red zone.

Could be that the two best coaches in the league have the initials DC.....his game plan for State worked out perfect.

BD80
11-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Duke's run defense looked awful against Pitt. I guess maybe it was just mediocre:

Pitt rushes for 492 yards on 36 carries against Va Tech. We only gave up 484 on 52 carries.

Ollison rushed for 235 yds with a 97 yd run. Hall rushed for 186 on SEVEN carries, with one carry for 73 yds.

Faison1
11-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Holy smokes, that was brutal. Did you guys watch all the reactions in the stands?

Having been to many, many games in Wallace-Wade, I feel for those fans. That's a die-hard group of people. They live with a chip on their shoulder due to reflective glow from Tarheel fans.

Wow!! I can't believe I did that...I meant Carter-Finley....not Wallace Wade.....sorry guys!!!

OldPhiKap
11-10-2018, 10:23 PM
I like Mark Richt. But things are not going well at The U.

CameronBlue
11-10-2018, 11:02 PM
Halfway through the 4th quarter and BC's Total Yards < 100. <gulp>

CameronBornAndBred
11-10-2018, 11:23 PM
Halfway through the 4th quarter and BC's Total Yards < 100. <gulp>

I have no delusional hope for victory next weekend. Totally wrong time of year to face a great team hitting their perfect stride. Just stay injury free.

CameronBornAndBred
11-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Clemson clinched the Atlantic tonight. Shocking, I know.

CameronBlue
11-11-2018, 12:43 AM
I have no delusional hope for victory next weekend. Totally wrong time of year to face a great team hitting their perfect stride. Just stay injury free.

Duke's fortunes lie with Jones obviously, so his health is vital. If there's one glimmer of hope it's that Syracuse who UNC beat by just 3, played Clemson close, to play the transitive game of blissfully ignorant thinking. BC's AJ Dillion has 897 yards on the season wtih 4-150+ rushing games, 5.5 per average. Today Dillion had 39 yards/2.4 per carry, BC 9 total yards rushing, scary. But the BC's QB posed no threat to run.

Clemson hasn't faced a QB quite as versatile as Jones, there's that. DJ won't be breaking any 61 yard TD runs up the middle but just the threat to run may be enough to keep the linebackers honest and open some holes in the Clemson secondary, then maybe Duke can keep it close until the half. Duke has to give them some odd looks, try to confuse them a bit and maybe use the QH package more effectively, not in predictable goal-line situations. Just go PT Barnum on them and put in someone with Tourette's at wide receiver*. Hell I dunno.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2018, 08:39 AM

I remember Spurrier said one time going into a Clemson game where Duke was huge underdog..."well we'll go pitch it around a little bit and see what happens...."
Ironically, I think that was befpre the rainy slog Randy Cuthbert game that Duke won without pitching it around much. The rain really negated Clemson's massive speed advantage. We don't win that game in good weather IMO.

As for this game, I'd recommend Wake's strategy against NC State...Wake is normally up up up tempo, but slowed that down to reduce the number of snaps their beat up D had to play against State. Our D is beat up just as badly....of course....so a low snap count would be a blessing. Interesting, Wake is another small private school coached by a guy with the initials DC.....and it's working pretty well for them.

DU82
11-11-2018, 09:33 AM
...Wake is normally up up up tempo, but slowed that down to reduce the number of snaps their beat up D had to play against State. Our D is beat up just as badly...of course...so a low snap count would be a blessing. Interesting, Wake is another small private school coached by a guy with the initials DC....and it's working pretty well for them.

We did that two years ago against Louisville and their high speed offense. And we should have won that game. (Bogus ‘stopped forward progress” instead of a fumble.) I was thinking (as you were) the same strategy might work Saturday night in Death Valley.

devildeac
11-11-2018, 09:42 AM
We did that two years ago against Louisville and their high speed offense. And we should have won that game. (Bogus ‘stopped forward progress” instead of a fumble.) I was thinking (as you were) the same strategy might work Saturday night in Death Valley.

You forgot the bogus running into the kicker penalty, too, where Cut said our player did exactly as he was told (jump/land in the "neutral zone" about 1-2 feet in front of the ball placement) and their kicker took another step forward and essentially flopped over our prostrate player. :mad::mad:

PackMan97
11-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Congrats to adding to the meme :)

OldPhiKap
11-11-2018, 10:53 AM
Congrats to adding to the meme :)

So — how good is Western Carolina?

Go Catamounts!!

Bob Green
11-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Petrino fired by Louisville:

@ESPNCFB

BREAKING: Louisville fired football coach Bobby Petrino Sunday morning, effective immediately, a source confirmed to ESPN's Mark Schlabach.

The firing was first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Petrino fired by Louisville:

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving louse.

JasonEvans
11-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Couldn’t happen to a more deserving louse.

They are going to pay that louse $14+ million dollars not to coach their team. Sigh.

It will be interesting to see who Louisville goes after next. In the wake of Petrino and Pitino, I would hope the school would seek someone honorable... but I doubt it.

75Crazie
11-11-2018, 12:19 PM
They are going to pay that louse $14+ million dollars not to coach their team. Sigh.
They have nobody to blame but themselves. They already had one example proving just what a tool he is … I was gobsmacked when they hired him a second time.

I think a lot of us were disturbed when Louisville was brought into the ACC. Unfortunately, our prescience was only too accurate.

Faison1
11-11-2018, 01:19 PM
Interesting times for ACC Football. Our SEC friends are feeling pretty good right about now. 2015 is just a blip on the radar, according to them.

I wonder if we would win a game if the ACC and SEC matched it's top 6 teams against one another. Do we include Notre Dame? Or, maybe the bottom 6 might be more entertaining?

devildeac
11-11-2018, 01:26 PM

It will be interesting to see who Louisville goes after next. In the wake of Petrino and Pitino, I would hope the school would seek someone honorable... but I doubt it.

Would you hang your Hat on it?

arnie
11-11-2018, 01:42 PM
They have nobody to blame but themselves. They already had one example proving just what a tool he is … I was gobsmacked when they hired him a second time.

I think a lot of us were disturbed when Louisville was brought into the ACC. Unfortunately, our prescience was only too accurate.

Yep, 2nd most corrupt program in ACC.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Yep, 2nd most corrupt program in ACC.
well played sir.....touche

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Duke's fortunes lie with Jones obviously, so his health is vital.

I remember Spurrier said one time going into a Clemson game where Duke was huge underdog..."well we'll go pitch it around a little bit and see what happens...".

It ain't the offense that I'm worried about. I think we'll score points, and us getting more than 20 won't surprise me.
However...
Thought Pitt put points on us? Clemson has a beer for you to hold. :rolleyes:

BD80
11-11-2018, 07:58 PM
It ain't the offense that I'm worried about. I think we'll score points, and us getting more than 20 won't surprise me.
However...
Thought Pitt put points on us? Clemson has a beer for you to hold. :rolleyes:

We need to play Ohio State. Their best player yesterday was their punter. He'd never see the field against Duke's D!

devildeac
11-11-2018, 11:26 PM
We need to play Ohio State. Their best player yesterday was their punter. He'd never see the field against Duke's D!

I dunno. Despite the fact the cheats gained 536 yards (:eek:) yesterday, they punted seven (7; no typo) times. I'm still trying to process that disconnect.

JasonEvans
11-12-2018, 12:23 AM
I wonder if we would win a game if the ACC and SEC matched it's top 6 teams against one another.

Is there any conference in the nation that wins a game against the SEC's top 6? Bama, Georgia, and LSU are gonna be prohibitive favorites against the #1, #2, and #3 teams in every league around. I guess some conference might think it has a chance matching its #4 against whoever is #4 in the SEC (Kentucky/Miss St/Fla/Auburn/TA&M), but I sorta doubt it. Jeff Sagarin's rankings have 5 teams from the SEC West in the top 20. That's ridiculous.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-12-2018, 06:41 AM
I dunno. Despite the fact the cheats gained 536 yards (:eek:) yesterday, they punted seven (7; no typo) times. I'm still trying to process that disconnect.

That is an odd combo....but it happened like this.....very quick scores in the first half, leading to many possessions by both teams. Then a lot of three and outs - very short possessions again - in the second half.

budwom
11-12-2018, 07:46 AM

I got the perfect guy for them, man with tons of executive experience and a moral compass which sits with Looeyville like bananas fit with peanut butter: Pap John Schnatter.
Is that not the obvious choice?

arnie
11-12-2018, 12:42 PM
I got the perfect guy for them, man with tons of executive experience and a moral compass which sits with Looeyville like bananas fit with peanut butter: Pap John Schnatter.
Is that not the obvious choice?

Or a simple trade of head coaches with the Cheats. Change of scenery “always” works well and neither school has to adjust their moral compass.