PDA

View Full Version : Connette on Cut

Reilly
10-31-2018, 10:28 PM
https://thebatteredbastards.com/index.php/2018/10/30/faith-family-future-football-brandon-connette/

JasonEvans
10-31-2018, 11:02 PM
https://thebatteredbastards.com/index.php/2018/10/30/faith-family-future-football-brandon-connette/

I love ya Reilly, but one of the things the mods around here hate is what we call "bald links." That is where someone posts a link without really telling the board anything of what it is about. I mean, it is clear that this is some article that talks about Brandon Connette's opinion of David Cutcliffe, but that is about it.

Think of how much better your post would have been if it had instead said:

"This is a must read article about the horrific moment Brandon Connette found out his mother had cancer and how much his Duke football family, especially Coach Cut, meant to him in his darkest hour. If your eyes are dry after reading this, you are not human."

If you want to be really bold -- you can pick a few really good lines from the linked article and quote them in your post. It really does not take long to do this. For example:

One thing that I remember the most is the four pillars that the Duke Football team is built on even to this day. Faith. Family. Future. Football. During one of our team meetings, our team Chaplin asked us a question…”Why do you play football? Who do you play for?” I thought about it for a while… at first my reaction was to think that I played for my siblings and to be a role model and someone they looked up to as the “Best big brother”. It wasn’t until later that I realized the true reason I played…

For the record, I am not only calling out Reilly here. There are a lot of you who do this. I mention it from Reilly's post because Reilly is one of the better posters on this board and I am sure he can take the criticism for what it is, a plea to make this board a better place.

-Jason "oh, and one more thing, thanks to Reilly for directing me to one of the better articles I will read this week" Evans

rfaison
10-31-2018, 11:43 PM
Outstanding read, thanks for posting.

fuse
11-01-2018, 06:39 AM
I’m not crying, you’re crying.

Thanks for sharing a great read.

moonpie23
11-01-2018, 07:51 AM
"wow" means a lot of things....in this context, it means so much...."wow"....

Indoor66
11-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Reading that article, tears and all, is a joy. It chronicles the journey from boy to man. It journals the qualities and fiber found in a solid family, whether home family or Duke family. The article teaches great lessons in humility and values. Thank you for posting.

weezie
11-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Thank you for the post Reilly! What a story. Sweet young man and fine. loving family.
Gosh...puts all the day to day stuff in the proper perspective.

jv001
11-01-2018, 09:58 AM
I love ya Reilly, but one of the things the mods around here hate is what we call "bald links." That is where someone posts a link without really telling the board anything of what it is about. I mean, it is clear that this is some article that talks about Brandon Connette's opinion of David Cutcliffe, but that is about it.

Think of how much better your post would have been if it had instead said:

If you want to be really bold -- you can pick a few really good lines from the linked article and quote them in your post. It really does not take long to do this. For example:

For the record, I am not only calling out Reilly here. There are a lot of you who do this. I mention it from Reilly's post because Reilly is one of the better posters on this board and I am sure he can take the criticism for what it is, a plea to make this board a better place.

-Jason "oh, and one more thing, thanks to Reilly for directing me to one of the better articles I will read this week" Evans

Thanks Reilly for the great article. "FAITH and FAMILY! and a special thank you to Jason for his addition to Reilly's post. GoDuke!

devildeac
11-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Great find/read. Thanks for sharing. No surprises there as those are the kind of stories/experiences I've heard about Cut from our younger son-in-law who was a football manager for two years while in Divinity School. When Cut did his first "barnstorming" tour early in his tenure at Duke, his four Fs were: faith, family, fellowship and football in that order, so I see they've been modified a bit but the points of emphasis are still very much the same.

ehdg
11-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Wow very good read and it really does choke you up.

chrishoke
11-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Wow. Love BC.

tfk53
11-01-2018, 10:26 PM
Thank you, Reilly - would never have seen this touching piece without your help.
Could not keep my eyes dry.
He clearly has the 4 Fs in proper perspective.
Coach Cut - that is superb coaching!

RepoMan
11-02-2018, 08:18 AM
Great article!

The anti-Maryland

HereBeforeCoachK
11-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Great article!

The anti-Maryland

That's a startling contrast is it not? I don't suppose DJ Durkin has any players who would say anything like this about him.

rsvman
11-02-2018, 10:56 AM

The anti-Maryland
Sounds like a positive, and a good goal for anybody.