PDA

View Full Version : The Duke SI Cover that wasn't

Billy Dat
10-31-2018, 02:53 PM
Dang Red Sox bumped us from the prime real estate, so we got a digital cover instead

elvis14
10-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Reason #54729 to dislike the Red Sox :-)

Acymetric
10-31-2018, 03:13 PM
Dang Red Sox bumped us from the prime real estate, so we got a digital cover instead

That is a terrible cover line...did they have a middle school intern come up with it or what? Or had they not written it yet and just said "screw it" once it became digital only?

brevity
10-31-2018, 03:17 PM
It’s a blessing in disguise. The SI Online Cover Jinx applies only to online brackets.

weezie
10-31-2018, 03:25 PM
It’s a blessing in disguise. The SI Online Cover Jinx applies only to online brackets.

Agree. I'd be happy to wait for any and all SI (picture magazine for geezers) Duke coverage until very early the morning of 4/9/2019 and only then with a big fat W.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-31-2018, 03:34 PM

^^^ my first thought ^^^^
..and to the poster that thought the headline was weak....I agree with that too.

luvdahops
10-31-2018, 03:43 PM
That is a terrible cover line...did they have a middle school intern come up with it or what? Or had they not written it yet and just said "screw it" once it became digital only?

Disagree, if only for the mental image of Jalen Rose spitting coffee all over himself when he saw it....

throatybeard
10-31-2018, 03:44 PM
The SI cover is like about 10% as visible as it was during the old media era. I had a subscription from 1994-2015; now it wouldn't even occur to me to look at it unless one of my teams had won a championship.

kAzE
10-31-2018, 04:15 PM
I think we dodged a bullet here. Wisconsin's offensive line was featured on the cover of SI this year . . .

Thanks, Red Sox!

cspan37421
10-31-2018, 04:26 PM
The SI cover is like about 10% as visible as it was during the old media era. I had a subscription from 1994-2015; now it wouldn't even occur to me to look at it unless one of my teams had won a championship.

So, are you saying that 10% of the time, it works every time?

HereBeforeCoachK
10-31-2018, 05:01 PM

SI thought of themselves as in the magazine business, and not the sports media business. Thus, it was a new entity named ESPN, and not SI, who caught the whirlwind and became a monster....while SI has become almost irrelevant.

JasonEvans
10-31-2018, 05:38 PM
Joey Baker is like, "wait... what... you want me in the picture too?!?!?!"

MrPoon
10-31-2018, 05:38 PM
Probably reading too much into it but if the plan was to red shirt Baker, would Duke’s media people include him here? Probably reading too much into it but I’ve been on the no-redshirt side of the debate so I’m going to cherry pick this point in my favor.

jimsumner
10-31-2018, 07:02 PM
Back in 1969, Janis Joplin was scheduled to be on the cover of Time or Newsweek. Can't remember which one.

But Dwight D. Eisenhower died. When Joplin was called and told that DDE would be on the cover, she supposedly started screaming into the phone

"My week!! The s** of a b**** had to die in my week."

Back to your regular programming.

fuse
10-31-2018, 07:24 PM
Love the picture. Wish the caption had been original.

weezie
10-31-2018, 08:33 PM
SI thought of themselves as in the magazine business, and not the sports media business. Thus, it was a new entity named ESPN, and not SI, who caught the whirlwind and became a monster...while SI has become almost irrelevant.

ZZZzzzz, oh sorry, I fell asleep during your excellent analysis.

ESPN magazine, is that headache of an eye test mag still around?

AustinDevil
10-31-2018, 09:21 PM
Back in 1969, Janis Joplin was scheduled to be on the cover of Time or Newsweek. Can't remember which one.

But Dwight D. Eisenhower died. When Joplin was called and told that DDE would be on the cover, she supposedly started screaming into the phone

"My week!! The s** of a b**** had to die in my week."

Back to your regular programming.

It’s actually a slightly longer, and funnier/scarier(?), quote: “Fourteen heart attacks and **** had to die in my week. My week!”

JasonEvans
10-31-2018, 10:41 PM
It’s actually a slightly longer, and funnier/scarier(?), quote: “Fourteen heart attacks and **** had to die in my week. My week!”

If only she hadn't taken another little piece of his heart.

jv001
11-01-2018, 10:07 AM

Just glad Zion lost all that weight or it could have been "FATTEST" instead of FABBEST. ;) GoDuke!

phaedrus
11-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Joey Baker is like, "wait... what... you want me in the picture too?!?!?!"

Bonus points to anyone who can name the fifth member of the original Fab Five.

brevity
11-01-2018, 11:17 AM

Jalen Rose. How are these bonus points distributed?

(Seriously, though, I can name Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, and Jimmy King, but could only remember the last name of the fifth guy.)

NSDukeFan
11-01-2018, 11:50 AM

Ray Jackson or the Beatle?

arnie
11-02-2018, 05:16 PM
For some reason, still have subscription to SI. Many years ago couldn’t wait to read the college b-ball edition. This year only a few pages long at rear of magazine and truly lame. At least we get the Fab 5 photo on p. 56.