PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 20, Miami 12

DU82
10-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Well, I'll start the thread if nobody else will.

Anybody else braving the cold 75 degree weather forecast for Saturday evening? (It's one of three ACC stadiums I haven't been to, so I set up a trip back in May. Have to wait a while for FSU and BC.)

Bob Green
10-29-2018, 08:07 PM

Thanks for starting the thread.

Duke is currently an eight points underdog with the Over/Under set at 51:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

It is time to bounce back.

devildeac
10-29-2018, 10:27 PM
Hopefully, memories and performances from Northwestern and Baylor will be recalled and duplicated instead of Pittsburgh.

Reilly
10-30-2018, 09:09 AM
A night game against Miami around Halloween ...

OldPhiKap
10-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Touchdown underdog on the road. We've got them just where we want them.

LGD!

devildeac
10-30-2018, 09:35 AM
A night game against Miami around Halloween ...

Too soon. :mad:

HereBeforeCoachK
10-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Too soon. :mad:

...it will be too soon as long as I live....and years after that too...not to rub it in, but that game cost us about 2-3 more - I believe. The Duke program might've been in an entirely different place now if they'd have been able to put another killer season in the books....the 13-14-15 run would've been really great. It's a corner we didn't turn.

Devilsforlife
10-30-2018, 01:05 PM
...it will be too soon as long as I live...and years after that too...not to rub it in, but that game cost us about 2-3 more - I believe. The Duke program might've been in an entirely different place now if they'd have been able to put another killer season in the books...the 13-14-15 run would've been really great. It's a corner we didn't turn.

I will never get over the Miami game either, but I don't think we were beating UNC in 2015 regardless. They had a damn good team that year. VT 2014 arguably eats away at me more because had we won that, we were assured a spot in the ACC title game for the second straight year.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-30-2018, 04:34 PM
I will never get over the Miami game either, but I don't think we were beating UNC in 2015 regardless. They had a damn good team that year. VT 2014 arguably eats away at me more because had we won that, we were assured a spot in the ACC title game for the second straight year.

I can agree that in 2015, by the time our game with the Cheats came around, they were playing better than Duke was....even though 4-5 games into the season, that was not the case. They were good late that season, real good.

And yes, Virginia Tech 2014 was a bad loss.....Duke favored, at home....of course. That NEVER works out.

Bob Green
10-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Coach Cutcliffe press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6295733

1. You can't have a hangover.
2. On tackling...live work today, best on best, pure scrimmage and you cringe as a coach when you do that.
3. On turnovers (Duke hasn't forced a turnover in four of last five games)...you fix it through emphasis. It has to become important to everyone to create turnovers.
4. You have to win the 4th quarter.

Lots more info in there those are just a few comments that stuck out to me.

rtnorthrup
10-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Coach Cutcliffe press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6295733

1. You can't have a hangover.
2. On tackling...live work today, best on best, pure scrimmage and you cringe as a coach when you do that.
3. On turnovers (Duke hasn't forced a turnover in four of last five games)...you fix it through emphasis. It has to become important to everyone to create turnovers.
4. You have to win the 4th quarter.

Lots more info in there those are just a few comments that stuck out to me.

Nobody does the "we just have to go back to work" press conference as well as Cut. It's really polished at this point.

Reilly
10-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Nobody does the "we just have to go back to work" press conference as well as Cut. It's really polished at this point.

Is that to be understood admirably, snarkily, or both?

duke09hms
10-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Is that to be understood admirably, snarkily, or both?

lol c'mon, Cutcliffe really has polished the art of coachspeak at this point.

duketaylor
10-30-2018, 10:02 PM
I know lots are concerned about injuries, but I thought we'd gotten to the point that we had much improved depth.?? Not having forced a TO in 4 of last 5 games is, well, mindblowing, to me....it's hard not to have something fall or tipped your way.

UVA beat UM and so did BC; why not Duke? Open up the offense more and get the wideouts more stickem (kidding). Execute, tackle, win!! GO DUKE!!!

Reilly
10-30-2018, 10:23 PM

And yet, Cut is as genuine as they come, and has achieved all he has in life by continually putting one foot in front of the other, and not getting distracted, and maintaining focus in the face of setbacks. That's exactly the stick-to-it-tiveness that brought us out of the abyss. Yes, he engages in coachspeak some, and uses hyperbole some, but just as there is truth in cliches, there can be genuinely good fundamental advice in some coachspeak.

msdukie
10-30-2018, 11:18 PM

Anybody else braving the cold 75 degree weather forecast for Saturday evening? (It's one of three ACC stadiums I haven't been to, so I set up a trip back in May. Have to wait a while for FSU and BC.)

I will be there. Also, there is an informal Duke South Florida Tailgate:

DUKE VS. UM - Sat. 7:00 PM
Come to the DUKE BLUE DEVIL Pre-Game Tailgate party in the ORANGE NORTH lot. If you need game tickets, you can buy through StubHub or go to this link to buy through Duke -
https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTickets.dbml…
I will be setting up a tent in the ORANGE NORTH lot around 5 PM. Feel free to call me or text me (305-790-8921) if you plan to stop by for the pre-game festivities and I will share the exact location once set up. Bring your own food / beverage.
GO DUKE!

Bob Green
10-31-2018, 04:54 AM
Jim Sumner article on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/31/18041452/duke-heads-to-miami-with-uncertainty-acc-football

David Cutcliffe isn’t ready to acknowledge that Duke has taken next-man-up as far as it can go.

““It’s called youth. You can’t give up gaps. You have to be consistent with your stance. The explanation for the game is that we just didn’t get it done. There were lots of corrections [in practice today] as you might imagine...my focus right now is getting the people that I know will be there Saturday ready. People who are healthy and practicing should get better.”

budwom
10-31-2018, 09:36 AM

Indeed. I know I'm now qualified to his weekly "injury report."

HereBeforeCoachK
10-31-2018, 09:55 AM
And yet, Cut is as genuine as they come, and has achieved all he has in life by continually putting one foot in front of the other, and not getting distracted, and maintaining focus in the face of setbacks. That's exactly the stick-to-it-tiveness that brought us out of the abyss. Yes, he engages in coachspeak some, and uses hyperbole some, but just as there is truth in cliches, there can be genuinely good fundamental advice in some coachspeak.

I don't disagree with any of that.....but I will say that one of the things I liked best about Spurrier is that he did not ever use coach speak....other than 'ole ball coach" speak, which is different. I have relationships to both Duke and SC, so it was fun to have him coach both of those....(he was much better as Duke coach). It was odd to see people complain about coach cliches on the one hand, and yet take offense at Spurrier when he refused to do that.

Of course, one of the better FB coaches in this area in the last several decades was Jim Grobe, and his pressers were a total root canal of banal coach speak cliches.

Acymetric
10-31-2018, 10:51 AM

Coach Cut is definitely a genuine man, but any discussion about the team itself is about as opaque as possible (which is obviously not the same as dishonest, which he certainly isn't).

Bob Green
10-31-2018, 04:33 PM
Turnovers will be the key to the game. Miami loves to breakout their chain and celebrate in front of the TV cameras, while Duke has not created a turnover in four of the last five games. That will need to change Saturday night.

The following info-bits, from the Game Notes at GoDuke caught my attention:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211778196&DB_OEM_ID=4200

• This week’s tilt features the ACC’s top passing defense in Miami against a Duke air attack that leads the league in TD-to-INT ratio (21:4) ... The Hurricanes rank second in the conference in INTs with 12 while the Blue Devils have thrown a league-low four INTs (tied with Georgia Tech & Virginia Tech) to go along with tossing an ACC-best 21 scoring passes
• The Duke offense features three players — TE Davis Koppenhaver (5), WR Johnathan Lloyd (5) & WR T.J. Rahming (6) — who have 5+ TD receptions each ... Duke is the only school in the ACC with multiple players with 5+ TD receptions

I knew we were having a low interception season but it escaped me that we were leading the ACC in TD passes.

The offense that played against Pitt and the defense that played against Northwestern will need to show up for Duke to leave Coral Gables with a victory.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-31-2018, 05:00 PM
The offense that played against Pitt and the defense that played against Northwestern will need to show up for Duke to leave Coral Gables with a victory.

That team would win for sure.....by a couple touchdowns. That would be a really good team if we can pair those kinds of performances.

jimsumner
10-31-2018, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately, the Duke defense that we saw against Northwestern doesn't actually exist anymore.

ndkjr70
10-31-2018, 05:41 PM
Both parents went to Duke. But duke didn’t have BArch so I am a proud UM alum. I will of course be in the stadium this weekend.

If you have any questions about the stadium, the area, hotels, bars, food, or if you just want to watch highlights of that totally-legal hook-and-ladder winner from a few years back, I’m your guy.

And I think Duke blows Miami out of the water. The team is playing bored and uninspired ball and the QB (Rosier) has not proven to be able to throw a football more than 9 yards. For as long as CMR is calling his own plays, we’re an “ACC Championship game blowout” season at the absolute best.

devildeac
10-31-2018, 06:40 PM
Unfortunately, the Duke defense that we saw against Northwestern doesn't actually exist anymore.

Maybe they could find "it" here:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42516-Have-you-ever-had-a-paranormal-experience

Bob Green
10-31-2018, 07:45 PM

Yep, you're correct, injuries have taken a toll.

knicknut
10-31-2018, 08:32 PM
"On this day in history," ESPN forgets to mention the multiple tackles and illegal blocks, all of which were missed on the "Miracle" play. On the front page of my ESPN.com this evening.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=14022706

Bob Green
11-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Uniform:

Blue Helmet with Duke in script, White Jersey and White pants.

A nice look. :cool:

Reilly
11-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Uniform:

Blue Helmet with Duke in script, White Jersey and White pants.

A nice look ...

Color combo sounds nice. But I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist about the (over)use of the script.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-01-2018, 06:08 PM
Color combo sounds nice. But I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist about the (over)use of the script.

Have we ever won with the devil head?

luvdahops
11-01-2018, 06:49 PM

Not a fan of the script (cheesy look for FB helmets generally, not just ours), prefer the Iron Duke D and blue pants with the white jerseys. Basic and non-gimmicky. Now get off my lawn...

HereBeforeCoachK
11-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Not a fan of the script (cheesy look for FB helmets generally, not just ours), prefer the Iron Duke D and blue pants with the white jerseys. Basic and non-gimmicky. Now get off my lawn...

Wow...interesting. I don't see the script as cheesy at all...it's clean, plain, I think kind of classy. Diff strokes I guess.
However, I also like the Iron D a lot as well...and I like script and Iron D in blue or white, and would love to see either on a shiny silver helmet. If Wake can have that with gold (best helmet in the ACC) Duke should have that with silver.

DU82
11-01-2018, 07:42 PM
Have we ever won with the devil head?

Indiana.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Indiana.

You've answered this question before, haven't you? ;)

HereBeforeCoachK
11-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Indiana.

Well that was a good one, but that's been quite a while. Seems to me it took a super human effort by Sirk and Wilson, and a questionable FG call against Indiana...but heck, I'll take it...especially in that season with the 8 lateral thing. I remember some commentator, not sure if it were on the game broadcast or a sports anchor on Fox or ESPN said of that FG miss by Indiana that the Hoosiers would just have to suck that one up, Duke was owed one...a big one...or words to that effect.

And I'll add this...that devil head helmet looks better in that shiny blue devil on white helmet than it does on that kinda grey helmet...

devildeac
11-01-2018, 08:43 PM
Well that was a good one, but that's been quite a while. Seems to me it took a super human effort by Sirk and Wilson, and a questionable FG call against Indiana...but heck, I'll take it...especially in that season with the 8 lateral thing. I remember some commentator, not sure if it were on the game broadcast or a sports anchor on Fox or ESPN said of that FG miss by Indiana that the Hoosiers would just have to suck that one up, Duke was owed one...a big one...or words to that effect.

And I'll add this...that devil head helmet looks better in that shiny blue devil on white helmet than it does on that kinda grey helmet...

I've looked at that replay a buncha times from a buncha different angles on a buncha different sites and I'm still not sure I agree with the folks who think it was good. It was close but I think it just missed to the right, over and outside the upright.

luvdahops
11-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Wow...interesting. I don't see the script as cheesy at all...it's clean, plain, I think kind of classy. Diff strokes I guess.
However, I also like the Iron D a lot as well...and I like script and Iron D in blue or white, and would love to see either on a shiny silver helmet. If Wake can have that with gold (best helmet in the ACC) Duke should have that with silver.

I think script works really well on baseball jerseys and jackets and, to a lesser extent, basketball jerseys and warm ups. On those, there is a big enough surface area for the script to be easily legible, and to allow for embellishments like tails, outline trim colors, elaborate capital letters, etc. That is not the case with football helmets, which is why (IMHO) you don’t see script on them very often, at any level. And while cheesy and classy are certainly in the eye of the beholder, I find it hard to argue that script is clean or plain, at least relative to a logo, acronym, numbers or simple stripes. But the Duke script is definitely cleaner and classier than, say, a 2-tone shell or the Maryland state flag pattern.

My favorite helmet is the blue with the Iron D. I know the shade doesn’t really match the blue jerseys or pants, but I would argue that the helmet shade is closer to the traditional (ie pre-Nike, pre-incorporation of black) Duke Blue. And I think it gives us a bit tougher and more distinctive look than the white with Iron D version, though those aren’t bad. I also would prefer silver or platinum grey over black as our “alternative” shade, but suspect I’m in the minority on that.

luvdahops
11-01-2018, 09:50 PM
I've looked at that replay a buncha times from a buncha different angles on a buncha different sites and I'm still not sure I agree with the folks who think it was good. It was close but I think it just missed to the right, over and outside the upright.

I agree and have also viewed it many times from many angles. It didn’t miss by much, but it did miss.

devildeac
11-01-2018, 10:20 PM
I agree and have also viewed it many times from many angles. It didn’t miss by much, but it did miss.

Whew, now I can remove my Duke blue tinted glasses. Temporarily at least. :o

Bob Green
11-02-2018, 05:48 AM
I like both the script and the Iron D helmet with my favorite being the blue ones. The uniform combination to be worn Saturday in Miami is the same combination worn last year, in the 27-17 victory, at Carolina.

CameronBlue
11-02-2018, 10:49 AM
I want to be happy again. I want to be Julie Andrews on a mountaintop singing "The Hills Are Alive..."!! I want to be ME!!

Please make me happy again, Duke FB and beat the Hurricanes in front of all the thong wearing throngs from South Beach.

Almost Game Day, LGD!!!

Bob Green
11-02-2018, 09:21 PM
Jim Sumner article at GoDuke.com on team captain and wide receiver Johnathan Lloyd:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211778241&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Wide receivers coach Gerad Parker says Lloyd’s influence is obvious.

“He’s team captain for a reason. We have great leadership in the room but it starts with (No.) 5, the way he practices and prepares every day. He’ll do anything to help his football team win, to add worth to the program. He does have a quiet demeanor at times. But he’ll speak up and say what needs to be said. He doesn’t waste a lot of rhetoric.”

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-02-2018, 10:39 PM

Fer sher.
Love, Ima

brevity
11-03-2018, 12:29 AM
I could not find a vintage program from 1976, the only time Duke has won at Miami (Jim Sumner front page article (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/11/1/18050918/jim-on-dukes-last-win-over-miami-blue-devil-football)). But I did find this:

It will have to do. As the article states, it was October 9, 1976 and Duke triumphed over Miami 20-7. (A week later they traveled to Clemson and played to an 18-18 tie.)

peteandpete
11-03-2018, 04:37 AM
I could not find a vintage program from 1976, the only time Duke has won at Miami (Jim Sumner front page article (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/11/1/18050918/jim-on-dukes-last-win-over-miami-blue-devil-football)). But I did find this:

It will have to do. As the article states, it was October 9, 1976 and Duke triumphed over Miami 20-7. (A week later they traveled to Clemson and played to an 18-18 tie.)

Vince Fusco with 6 FGs, including the 57 yarder as time expired, hitting the crossbar first. I was there for that one. Time for us to get some turnovers tonight and get our November party started.

Bob Green
11-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Here is the latest Steve Wiseman article:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article221012385.html

The Blue Devils are a beat-up team, missing starters on both sides of the line of scrimmage like running back Brittain Brown, cornerback Mark Gilbert, linebacker Ben Humphreys, wide receiver Aaron Young and defensive tackle Edgar Cerenord.

A dozen or so other players are playing through bumps and bruises. Still, Cutcliffe put the team through a physical practice on Tuesday that included live scrimmaging between the first-team offense and the first-team defense.

“You cringe every time as a coach you do that,” Cutcliffe said. “We felt like we didn’t have a choice.”

Hopefully, some of those missing starters are on the mend. Having Ben Humphreys, Brittain Brown and Aaron Young healthy and playing would certainly improve the odds tonight in Miami.

TruBlu
11-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Okay, Team. Our annual October swoon is over! It’s November. Time to start playing Duke Football again!

HELL YES, DUKE FOOTBALL!!!!

devildeac
11-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Hopefully, some of those missing starters are on the mend. Having Ben Humphreys, Brittain Brown and Aaron Young healthy and playing would certainly improve the odds tonight in Miami.

Ha! Beat me to it, Bob. I just finished breakfast and headed upstairs to post this. You get up too early in the AM :p.

Here's another quote that'll give us a bit more hope:

"Humphreys and reserve linebacker Koby Quansah, both out for the Pittsburgh game, have practiced this week. Though not fully healthy, they are expected to travel and be in uniform at Miami with hopes of playing. The same goes for defensive tackle Trevon McSwain."

Bob Green
11-03-2018, 08:09 AM
You get up too early in the AM :p.

The early bird gets the worm. :cool:

OldPhiKap
11-03-2018, 08:21 AM

The early worm gets eaten.

Going back to bed.

But — GAME DAY!!! Woot!

dukie’s_daughter
11-03-2018, 09:59 AM

* Maybe tomorrow I’ll figure out how to rotate this... sigh...

devildeac
11-03-2018, 10:18 AM

You can have all the worms. I'll hold out for the bagels and/or doughnuts. ;)

swiseman
11-03-2018, 10:35 AM

Not looking good for Brown or Young.

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Well damn. Tx Steve.

Bob Green
11-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Not looking good for Brown or Young.

Thanks for the information...as the old saying goes bad news doesn't grow better with age. I had a bad feeling about Brown's season when I saw him go down in the Army game. Newton_14, Devildeac and I were sitting together and we all looked at each other and said "Uh oh."

devildeac
11-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the information...as the old saying goes bad news doesn't grow better with age. I had a bad feeling about Brown's season when I saw him go down in the Army game. Newton_14, Devildeac and I were sitting together and we all looked at each other and said "Uh oh."

I don't recall us saying that exactly but what we most likely said can't be posted here. :o

Reilly
11-03-2018, 11:12 AM

$6.25 in Jan 1955 = $59.09 in Sept 2018, per an inflation calculator. Seems a bit pricey, given I'm thinking gouging at CFB games had not yet become a thing.

Reilly
11-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Gameday Saturday.

77 degrees in Miami at 7 pm tonight. I think the guys in white will play fast.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-03-2018, 11:43 AM

Duke misses him, but I think the injuries to Gilbert, Young and Humphries and some others have been worse due to the lack of someone as capable (as Deon) as fill ins.

jv001
11-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Duke misses him, but I think the injuries to Gilbert, Young and Humphries and some others have been worse due to the lack of someone as capable (as Deon) as fill ins.

Agree. I just hope whoever plays on defense today, tackles better than the team did against Pitt. Looked like the high school JV team I once coached. Wait that was the Little League team I once coached. :cool:GoDuke!

Indoor66
11-03-2018, 01:07 PM

I was at that game - my first.

jimsumner
11-03-2018, 02:13 PM
I want to be happy again. I want to be Julie Andrews on a mountaintop singing "The Hills Are Alive..."!! I want to be ME!!

Please make me happy again, Duke FB and beat the Hurricanes in front of all the thong wearing throngs from South Beach.

Almost Game Day, LGD!!!

If you want to be happy . . .

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+if+you+want+to+be+happy+for+the+ rest+of+your+life&view=detail&mid=A5AB4D877D728BFD140DA5AB4D877D728BFD140D&FORM=VIRE

peloton
11-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Almost Game Day, LGD!!!

I've got to say your post cracked me up, CameronBlue - thanks. However (and with all respect to Julie A.), I want to be more like Pharrell Williams happy...joyous even, after getting back on the winning track against the Canes tonight. Maybe tonight both the team and the coaches bring their A game. Here's hoping that the captains lit into the guys after the Pitt loss.

Let's go Duke!!

cato
11-03-2018, 04:15 PM
I’m feeling optimistic. One of the dads from my daughter’s class has a family member on the team, and it sounds like their energy is up.

Is it kickoff time yet?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-03-2018, 04:18 PM
I’m feeling optimistic. One of the dads from my daughter’s class has a family member on the team, and it sounds like their energy is up.

Is it kickoff time yet?

Beginning of the week, I thought Duke had one chance in ten.....now I'm up to thinking we have one chance in three. Moving in the right direction!!!!

(BTW Baylor beats OK State today.....)

Bob Green
11-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Injury update article:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/ben-humphreys-koby-quansah-duke-football-injury-update-124164321/

Starting running back Brittain Brown, starting wide receiver Aaron Young, reserve safeties Lummie Young and Damani Neal and kickoff specialist Jack Driggers are still back in Durham as their injuries precluded them from making the trip.

Ben Humphreys and Koby Quansah did make the trip as did true freshmen wide receivers Jarrett Garner and Dennis Smith.

-jk
11-03-2018, 06:39 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

BandAlum83
11-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Dinner guests arriving at 7:00 tonight. :(

When they leave, I will be able to watch, but should I check the final score first or not?

Hmmmmm

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Please, please sweet baby Jesus.

ehdg
11-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Wow what a start great run my Deon to find the opening!

ehdg
11-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Great quick kick by Jones to get it out at Miami’s 2.

YmoBeThere
11-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Sigh, how many of those will we see tonight?

rsvman
11-03-2018, 08:14 PM
This weather is really bad.

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 08:22 PM
We need a TO in the worst way.

rsvman
11-03-2018, 08:29 PM
In these conditions maybe it's time to bench Jones and go with the quarterback that is more of a running threat?

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 08:33 PM
In these conditions maybe it's time to bench Jones and go with the quarterback that is more of a running threat?

Couldn't hurt.

arnie
11-03-2018, 08:33 PM

I’d do that to keep Jones from getting killed. Our OL unable to identify who they should block. Sacrifice Harris another QB.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Zero creativity from Roper.

PDDuke85
11-03-2018, 08:39 PM
I’d do that to keep Jones from getting killed. Our OL unable to identify who they should block. Sacrifice Harris another QB.

Seeing this offense in person tonight, please God, let Cut relieve Roper of his play calling duties soon.

Pghdukie
11-03-2018, 09:06 PM
It's the Pitt game all over. Giving up 250 yds on the ground. I'm watching GROUND HOG with Bill Murray

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 09:10 PM
12-10

fuse
11-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Lining up Jones, Harris and Jackson in the backfield would give us some running and throwing options.

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Hot damn!

arnie
11-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Lining up Jones, Harris and Jackson in the backfield would give us some running and throwing options.

We have the lead, pray for another deluge.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2018, 09:33 PM
We have the lead, pray for another deluge.

Miami played better in the deluge. What we have right now is just right. ;)

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 09:33 PM
What a play by our senior tight end!

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-03-2018, 09:45 PM
PI no call.

ns7
11-03-2018, 09:46 PM
PI no call.

Blatant PI

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 09:51 PM
LLoyd with the critical drop. He'll have nightmares about that one.

ChrisP
11-03-2018, 09:51 PM
We have got to lead the nation in passes dropped that HIT RECEIVERS IN THE HANDS! That was not a great first down throw by DJ but come ON Lloyd (gotta catch that).

ChrisP
11-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Obviously, things would have been different had Lloyd not dropped what seemed like an easy 1st down but...3 straight passing plays when we are in Miami territory?

ChrisP
11-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Can we please get a TD now when it's 1st and goal on the 5?

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Fumble recovery!!!!!!

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-03-2018, 09:56 PM
He tried to tuck that ball. If they call it an incomplete pass, that would be ridiculous.

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Robbery.

AGDukesky
He tried to tuck that ball. If they call it an incomplete pass, that would be ridiculous.

You do realize we are playing Miami right- ridiculous calls are the norm

rsvman
What a terrible call!

ChrisP
11-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Wouldn't be Duke-Miami football without some horrendous officiating

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Wouldn't be Duke-Miami football without some horrendous officiating
Your comment is demeaning to horrendous officials everywhere.

4Gen
11-03-2018, 10:00 PM
If there's any justice, we score seven here.

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 10:03 PM
No justice. 20-12

ChrisP
11-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Surprised we didn't go for it there but I suppose the FG was the smarter call. Let's go DEFENSE!

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Miami going for it on fourfth

ChrisP
11-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Anyone else think that was a generous spot there?

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 10:17 PM
Need to stop them one more time. Come on D!

ChrisP
11-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Let's go DUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 10:29 PM
one last play!!!!!

ChrisP
11-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Please..karma owes us!

chrishoke
Hot damn!

AGDukesky
Wow!

arnie
11-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Hot damn!

Finally, justice

ChrisP
Whoo frickin' hoooooo!

ns7
Glad they called opi

fuse
11-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Way to gut it out.

Duke D hung tough, and O improved sharply as the rain abated.

Let’s go Duke! Bowl eligible!

AGDukesky
11-03-2018, 10:32 PM
Miami had so much good luck on that last drive we were due for that offensive pass interference.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2018, 10:33 PM
Miami held scoreless in the second half.

Kudos to Dylan Singleton who chose Duke over UGA.

ChrisP
Really impressed with our D tonight. Especially after last week. Wow, major heart!

YmoBeThere
Yay!

4Gen
11-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Beat Miami. Beat the Cheats. Bowl game. Anything else will be gravy.

ns7
11-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Miami had so much good luck on that last drive we were due for that offensive pass interference.

It was pretty obvious but they let a worse dpi and holding on Miami both go uncalled.

YmoBeThere
11-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Any word on Joe Giles-Harris status?

OldPhiKap
11-03-2018, 10:38 PM
Great job, Devils!!!

Devilwin
11-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Great job by the defense. Not so much for the offense. But they scored enough to win. Now beat the Tar Heels next week.

peloton
11-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Gutsy win, Blue Devils!! The defense came to play and the offense looked good at times. Props to Collin Wareham - we simply don't win without him hitting those FGs! It wasn't pretty at times yet it was a work of art :p.

CameronBlue
11-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Great job by the defense. Not so much for the offense. But they scored enough to win. Now beat the Tar Heels next week.

Ben Humphries is a passionate young man. Helluva effort by Ben and the defense.

SavDukeGrad
11-03-2018, 10:42 PM
At the beginning of the season, who had us losing to Pitt and UVa, and beating Miami?!? Anyone?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-03-2018, 10:43 PM

Last week v this week...pretty clear how key Ben is

peloton
11-03-2018, 10:44 PM
I have to admit though we're still dropping too many passes. Great to see Jake Bobo get in for some plays...he's the future and I'm liking what I'm seeing. Yes, definitely hoping JGH's injury is not serious.

peloton
11-03-2018, 10:47 PM

Man, Ben is an absolute warrior (cliche I know). He reminds me a bit of Kelby Brown from a few years ago.

Bob Green
11-03-2018, 10:48 PM
That was a great road win! The team played tough and out fought the opponent. LGD! :cool: I am ecstatic!

TruBlu
11-03-2018, 10:52 PM
The chop block on Humphries that got him so mad was probably the turning point in the game. Ben, take out more of your anger on the cheats next week.

devildeac
11-03-2018, 10:55 PM
PI no call.

Not just one either. :mad:

Billy Dat
11-03-2018, 10:55 PM
That was a great road win! The team played tough and out fought the opponent. LGD! :cool: I am ecstatic!

Road win in Miami!!

devildeac
11-03-2018, 10:56 PM

Totally agreed. Dishonest, incompetent acc refs. What'd you expect?

:mad::mad:

OldPhiKap
11-03-2018, 10:59 PM
What a big win.

Go to HELL Carolina!!!

devildeac
11-03-2018, 11:00 PM
The chop block on Humphries that got him so mad was probably the turning point in the game. Ben, take out more of your anger on the cheats next week.

You'll have to define chop block for me. I thought it was a block below the waist on a defender who was already engaged with another blocker. I thought the block on Ben was legit and solo and I despise Miami and acc refs.

Bob Green
11-03-2018, 11:04 PM
You'll have to define chop block for me.

It wasn't a chop block it was a cut block. There are geographic limitations on cut blocking and Humphreys and the officials disagreed on the geography.

ehdg
11-03-2018, 11:13 PM
Really good win n hopefully it helps with recruiting too. Shows them how competitive we are n can win big games! Any word on Joe Giles Harris? We really need that young man!

chrishoke
11-03-2018, 11:14 PM
Our kicking game tonight was flawless in miserable conditions.

Reilly
11-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Thank God for Ben Humphreys.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-03-2018, 11:52 PM

Ohhhhh YESSSSSSSS! Loved his intensity and focus!
So nice to have our six wins in the bag. Now beating the cheats will be one big bowl of gravy!!!
Love, Ima

Bob Green
11-04-2018, 05:45 AM
Coach Cutcliffe post-game comments:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6296529

1. Courageous effort by the team

2. Initial diagnoses is Joe Giles-Harris is not seriously hurt...not a surgery level injury...full evaluation on Sunday

3. Praised Ben Humphreys effort

Bob Green
11-04-2018, 05:54 AM
Jim Sumner recap on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/11/3/18058264/passion-defense-lead-duke-to-20-12-win-at-miami-blue-devils-acc-football

Now, that’s the way to end a losing streak. Duke stunned favored Miami 20-12 Saturday night, running its record to 6-3 and becoming bowl eligible for the sixth time in the last seven seasons.

hillsborodevil
11-04-2018, 06:43 AM
FG kicker Collin Wareham is a stud.

peloton
11-04-2018, 07:15 AM

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/11/3/18058264/passion-defense-lead-duke-to-20-12-win-at-miami-blue-devils-acc-football

Thanks for the reminder Bob (just read it) and thanks to Jim for a wonderful synopsis of the game. I'm still giddy this morning and so proud of the team; the guys showed some real heart - congrats to them all. I'm still hungry though, not sated if you will. There are more wins to be had with some hard work but at the same time, opportunities to rest on their laurels. I trust that the team and coaches are even less sated than we are. Let's build on this.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Our kicking game tonight was flawless in miserable conditions.

It really was....Austin Parker was like our MVP for a couple of quarters...and Colin was perfect, solid, dependable...not to mention the snappers, holders, etc. The only mistake I can remember is some how NOT blocking Miami's first punt.

Devilwin
11-04-2018, 08:03 AM
One word of warning..UNC is starving for a win. And, to use a time worn phrase, they are not as bad as their record indicates. They have been right there at the end in several games, actually playing closer to a couple of opponents than we did. So we cannot expect to just show up and win. We are going to have to fight for it.
All that being said, I believe we are the better team, and if the heart is still there like it was tonight, win number seven should be ours. Clemson is the best in the league, and maybe in the nation. Enough said there. Wake is hard to figure. Good one week, atrocious the next. Should be win number eight with an effort like this one.
But we cannot relax on any team left on the schedule. I want eight wins..Or nine!!

Indoor66
11-04-2018, 08:26 AM

Gee, Sumner didn't think Roper did a bad job. Just the opposite.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-04-2018, 08:28 AM
One word of warning..UNC is starving for a win. And, to use a time worn phrase, they are not as bad as their record indicates. They have been right there at the end in several games, actually playing closer to a couple of opponents than we did. So we cannot expect to just show up and win. We are going to have to fight for it.
!

...throw in Duke's history as a home favorite, and this is scary game indeed.....

devildeac
11-04-2018, 08:42 AM

Truth be told, it really wasn't Ozzie who came over last PM for snacks and beers, it was Roper and he was chained to our couch and Ozzie was actually in Miami visiting family and umm, helping the FB brotherhood. ;)

PackMan97
11-04-2018, 09:19 AM
Great win, now take care of the cheaters.

jimsumner
11-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Because everybody had Deon Jackson to Daniel Helm for first and goal. :)

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2018, 10:40 AM
A great quote after a great performance. (And a fun article to read by Steve Wiseman.)

“I’m playing my last four, well, five games now,” Humphreys said. “We get to go to a bowl. We are bowl eligible. Playing with everything I’ve got. Leaving it all out on the field with passion and setting a great example for these guys. I’m going to play every game like it’s my last. I’m just proud that I’m at Duke and I’m able to do it with the guys I’m doing it with.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article220956680.html

UVa1981
11-04-2018, 11:14 AM
All that being said, I believe we are the better team, and if the heart is still there like it was tonight, win number seven should be ours. Clemson is the best in the league, and maybe in the nation. Enough said there. Wake is hard to figure. Good one week, atrocious the next. Should be win number eight with an effort like this one.
But we cannot relax on any team left on the schedule. I want eight wins..Or nine!!

They had the football on Virginia Tech's 1 yard line with a TD lead and only a few minutes left in the game. They should have won the game but instead found a way to lose. Good luck against them.

martydoesntfoul
11-04-2018, 11:31 AM
I think we’re in for some unexpected national pub today given the horrible field condition for the Jets-Dolphins game...

Faison1
11-04-2018, 11:59 AM
So happy for those guys!!

Humphreys is such a stud. Does he have a shot at the Pros?

duke2x
11-04-2018, 12:06 PM
...throw in Duke's history as a home favorite, and this is scary game indeed....

There is never a time when going to Kenan is enjoyable, but we almost need to play all ACC games on the road. :(

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2018, 12:20 PM
I think we’re in for some unexpected national pub today given the horrible field condition for the Jets-Dolphins game...

Like this?

It will mark the second straight year the Jets are playing on a sloppy field in Miami. It also serves as a reminder for the Jets' longtime-suffering fans of the 1982 AFC Championship Game that was played in the mud at the Orange Bowl, where the Dolphins beat the Jets 14-0.

"The field is horrendous," texted one league source at the stadium on Saturday. "It's a complete s---show."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25173584/concerns-hard-rock-stadium-field-conditions-miami-dolphins-game-new-york-jets

Acymetric
11-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Like this?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25173584/concerns-hard-rock-stadium-field-conditions-miami-dolphins-game-new-york-jets

In defense of the Dolphins, the Steelers' field has actually been even worse. I do think the Jets' whining is funny for two reasons: the Dolphins have to play in it too so it isn't like some huge advantage for them, and the comments from the Jets make it sound as though it was targeted at the Jets (that they've had to play in it two years in a row seems irrelevant). Just weather and bad luck is all, everybody calm down!

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2018, 12:35 PM
In defense of the Dolphins, the Steelers' field has actually been even worse. I do think the Jets' whining is funny for two reasons: the Dolphins have to play in it too so it isn't like some huge advantage for them, and the comments from the Jets make it sound as though it was targeted at the Jets (that they've had to play in it two years in a row seems irrelevant). Just weather and bad luck is all, everybody calm down!

Who's fault is it that Duke had to play on two NFL fields in the rain in back to back games? We need answers so we can avoid this next year!
Comparing the two, the Miami folks might want to inquire as to who to talk to about getting the same drainage system that Heinz field employs. It may have been worse at some point, but last week it seemed to stay in pretty good shape.

Acymetric
11-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Who's fault is it that Duke had to play on two NFL fields in the rain in back to back games? We need answers so we can avoid this next year!
Comparing the two, the Miami folks might want to inquire as to who to talk to about getting the same drainage system that Heinz field employs. It may have been worse at some point, but last week it seemed to stay in pretty good shape.

It wasn't raining anywhere close to as hard at Pitt as it was last night, for starters.

I'm sure they've made improvements, and there were some other factors (fresh laid sod less than 24 hours before), but look up some photos/vido of the Steelers-Dolphins game from 2007. Worst field I've ever seen anywhere. Literally had guys ankle deep in mud (not just standing pooled water).

loran16
11-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Yeah I'm not sure Heinz Field is any role model to this effect - the difference is that teams are used to the situation in Pittsburgh (in fact don't HS games get played there regularly making it worse?) so no one complains. Besides, as a Jets fan myself, I'm not convinced any field conditions could make that team play worse.

Getting back to this game, man I really hope the offensive line can somehow pull together some improvements, though I'm not convinced they can. The play where Daniel Jones got sacked because Harmon didn't block anyone and just stood there - I'm guessing he thought he was supposed to block the guy the left tackle took, but he didn't even try to double team that guy which was weird - was so emblematic of our season, and Harmon is supposed to be one of our better Olinemen once moved from Center to Guard. Sheesh.

martydoesntfoul
11-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Like this?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25173584/concerns-hard-rock-stadium-field-conditions-miami-dolphins-game-new-york-jetsIndeed!

TruBlu
11-04-2018, 03:09 PM
The announcers last night were intent on pointing out that Duke hadn’t won at Miami since 1976, making it sound like Duke played there every other year since 1976. They failed to point out that there were many years when Duke didn’t play Miami at all, up until Miami joined the ACC.

I also think I heard the announcers once say that Duke hadn’t beaten Miami at all since Miami joined the ACC. In case those announcers read DBR, could someone find the video of the Miami fan a few years ago asking his friend “Duke???” in the closing moments of a Duke victory over the Canes at Wallace Wade? Much appreciated if someone can find it.

ndkjr70
11-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Good game guys. Told you that you’d win, wasn’t surprised at all from my seats.

Your FG kicker is a stud. The game was won (and lost) in large part due to our horrifyingly bad special teams. No clue how a D1 ACC school that’s won 5 national championships has a kicker who was 4 for 10 in high school. My high school kicker went 9 for 13 our senior year and he went straight to work at Panera. Think he has eligibility?

BandAlum83
11-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Congratulations to our boys in blue for a great and gritty victory!!

I didn't get to watch live since we had dinner guests. I started the recording at 12:30 am after cleaning up. I admit I took a peek at the score at one point and saw were up 17-12 early in the 4th. I decided to watch the farm from the beginning without knowing the outcome. It got really hairy in that 4th quarter!! For some reason, my DVR recorded well beyond the end of the game so I was afraid we were headed for overtime.

Just a few observations:

I really like these helmets. I love the background blue and the script looks great.

Am I the only one who still cringes every time an opponent punts to us?

When we were up and had the ball in the 6:00 minutes to go range, it seemed like we snapped the ball everytine with between 8 and 20 seconds left in the play clock. I think we could have burned close to another minute off the clock in that possession. Is there a reason we didn't burn more clock? We stayed in the no huddle offense for that possession, but that doesn't mean we can't snap the ball closer to zero on the play clock. Maybe someone with a football mind can explain this. It would have made the last minute of the game a lot less dramatic.

devildeac
11-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Congratulations to our boys in blue for a great and gritty victory!!

I didn't get to watch live since we had dinner guests. I started the recording at 12:30 am after cleaning up. I admit I took a peek at the score at one point and saw were up 17-12 early in the 4th. I decided to watch the farm from the beginning without knowing the outcome. It got really hairy in that 4th quarter!! For some reason, my DVR recorded well beyond the end of the game so I was afraid we were headed for overtime.

Just a few observations:

I really like these helmets. I love the background blue and the script looks great.

Am I the only one who still cringes every time an opponent punts to us?

When we were up and had the ball in the 6:00 minutes to go range, it seemed like we snapped the ball everytine with between 8 and 20 seconds left in the play clock. I think we could have burned close to another minute off the clock in that possession. Is there a reason we didn't burn more clock? We stayed in the no huddle offense for that possession, but that doesn't mean we can't snap the ball closer to zero on the play clock. Maybe someone with a football mind can explain this. It would have made the last minute of the game a lot less dramatic.

Last night, I was pretty satisfied with Rahming's decisions not to catch the punts when he was receiving as the ball/field were sooooo wet and also figuring Miami would get no favorable rolls after the ball splashed to a stop in the mud most times. I think Bobo made a fair catch once when TJ was on the sidelines getting a minor eye issue examined/treated.

OldPhiKap
11-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Good game guys. Told you that you’d win, wasn’t surprised at all from my seats.

Your FG kicker is a stud. The game was won (and lost) in large part due to our horrifyingly bad special teams. No clue how a D1 ACC school that’s won 5 national championships has a kicker who was 4 for 10 in high school. My high school kicker went 9 for 13 our senior year and he went straight to work at Panera. Think he has eligibility?

Thanks for a classy post. I am a fan of Mark Richt and think he will do a great job at Miami when he gets a few recruiting classes in. Last night was a slop fest, tough conditions for both teams.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-04-2018, 03:50 PM
. I think Bobo made a fair catch once when TJ was on the sidelines getting a minor eye issue examined/treated.

Yes, Bobo did. He catches EVERYTHING near him. The only one on the team with that particular affliction.....

budwom
11-04-2018, 03:50 PM
^ yeah, we were screaming at the TV for Duke to run more time, did not work. Perhaps they could argue going faster would catch Miami off guard, but it didn't. Seemed like a bad idea.
Observation after just watching the second half again: I feel confident in saying that Duke's was the only winning scoring drive in all of football this year featuring a (bad) jump pass from a running back (although it was miraculously completed) and a TD jump pass from a backup QB.

tux
11-04-2018, 04:35 PM
^ yeah, we were screaming at the TV for Duke to run more time, did not work. Perhaps they could argue going faster would catch Miami off guard, but it didn't. Seemed like a bad idea.
Observation after just watching the second half again: I feel confident in saying that Duke's was the only winning scoring drive in all of football this year featuring a (bad) jump pass from a running back (although it was miraculously completed) and a TD jump pass from a backup QB.

Clock management has always been lacking under Cut IMO. The only thing I can imagine is not wanting to affect the rhythm of the offense or invite mental mistakes by changing the timing. But with a lead in the 4th quarter, you should be trying to shorten the game.

OldPhiKap
11-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Clock management has always been lacking under Cut IMO. The only thing I can imagine is not wanting to affect the rhythm of the offense or invite mental mistakes by changing the timing. But with a lead in the 4th quarter, you should be trying to shorten the game.

I don’t disagree with this, but when you start stretching the clock we hear from the folks hating the delay game. Tough to balance.

UrinalCake
11-04-2018, 04:58 PM
I think you continue to run your normal offense, which for us means a fast pace so the defense doesn’t have a chance to rest. If they’re winded late in the game and you can capitalize by continuing to get first downs, that’s a better strategy than running down the play clock but having the drive stall (the equivalent of stall ball in basketball, where you run down the shot clock but then have to force up a bad shot).

Reilly
11-04-2018, 05:04 PM
I liked the quick kicks by Jones. Smart moves that helped. Guess that's a decision made due to opponent, field position, and weather. Wonder which factored the most last night -- in other words, maybe we still would've done it on a dry field?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Clock management has always been lacking under Cut IMO.

End of the half against Texas A&M comes to mind......:(

Reilly
11-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Clock management has always been lacking under Cut IMO ...

End of the half against Texas A&M comes to mind...:(

I strongly disagree. Was it a problem in ATL there, and could they have taken off more time here and there last night? Yep. But in general, I believe Cut has a wonderful feel for game mgmt and the clock, bleeding it when necessary, running a 4:00 minute offense, doing probing runs at the end of the first half and if they hit then hurrying up, etc ... When he miliks it and it works (@Navy) he gets criticized b/c the game got close ... yet, he played the percentages perfectly and he won ... Actually, in December 2007, in his last game as OC at Tennessee, after he had been named as head coach at Duke, his clock mgmt and his ability to milk it and maintain rhythm was what most impressed me. And he's shown it at Duke again and again.

BandAlum83
11-04-2018, 06:00 PM

Still too soon

jimsumner
11-04-2018, 06:13 PM
I don’t disagree with this, but when you start stretching the clock we hear from the folks hating the delay game. Tough to balance.

Cut religiously reads DBR and notes the criticism Krzyzewski gets whenever Duke goes to "stall ball" with a lead late in the game.

Anything is better than falling afoul of DBR critics. :)

sagegrouse
11-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Cut religiously reads DBR and notes the criticism Krzyzewski gets whenever Duke goes to "stall ball" with a lead late in the game.

Anything is better than falling afoul of DBR critics. :)

General Observations:

Why do you quit doing what is working? WRT Miami, I have observed that they have great athletes not always in the best shape. Good reason to maintain the pace of the offensive play.

In basketball, I thought for years and years that taking the air out of the ball seemed to also deflate our offense. The 2010 team was an exception, thanks to Jon, Nolan and Kyle. Since then, we have seemed to do better in a slowdown game. (Yeah, I know -- even if the offense goes flat, Duke usually wins. But it's so painful to watch!)

DU82
11-04-2018, 06:59 PM

You keep mentioning this one. Perhaps if the referee in the end zone who signaled a touchdown would have also stopped the clock as it should have after a TD call, so that a proper review could have happened, the team and coaches wouldn't have been caught with the clock running down to a couple of seconds.

Reilly
11-04-2018, 07:00 PM
What is the sticker on the Duke offensive players' helmets? Looks like a jet maybe ... or an Xmas tree.

The D has had the assasin/"we decide" sticker for years and still uses that. Just noticed last night for the first time that the O had stickers ...

DevilHorse
11-04-2018, 08:32 PM
I think you continue to run your normal offense, which for us means a fast pace so the defense doesn’t have a chance to rest. If they’re winded late in the game and you can capitalize by continuing to get first downs, that’s a better strategy than running down the play clock but having the drive stall (the equivalent of stall ball in basketball, where you run down the shot clock but then have to force up a bad shot).

Our Achilles Heel last week was a Defense that couldn't get off the field. We had a bunch of 3 and outs in the first half. If we had any sense of trying to keep our Defense as fresh as could be, especially with a couple of our top starters injured in this contest or banged up, we have to be able to stretch things out.

Additionally, we had an eight point lead at this point in the game. Could we have considered this a two score lead? Miami did not look like they could score on a 2 point plan (or even a point after); our special team play was special last night. If they were sticking with the Freshman QB, their chances of a 2 point play were pretty low.

Kudos to the team on a hard fought win.

Larry
DevilHorse

jimsumner
11-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Our Achilles Heel last week was a Defense that couldn't get off the field. We had a bunch of 3 and outs in the first half. If we had any sense of trying to keep our Defense as fresh as could be, especially with a couple of our top starters injured in this contest or banged up, we have to be able to stretch things out.

Additionally, we had an eight point lead at this point in the game. Could we have considered this a two score lead? Miami did not look like they could score on a 2 point plan (or even a point after); our special team play was special last night. If they were sticking with the Freshman QB, their chances of a 2 point play were pretty low.

Kudos to the team on a hard fought win.

Larry
DevilHorse

Good points about getting some rest for a banged-up defense.

But, I'm pretty sure no coach at any level of football considers an eight-point lead a two-score lead. And given that any Miami attempt on a two-point conversion would have come against Duke's regular defense, Duke's special-teams dominance would have been irrelevant.

devildeac
11-04-2018, 10:14 PM
I liked the quick kicks by Jones. Smart moves that helped. Guess that's a decision made due to opponent, field position, and weather. Wonder which factored the most last night -- in other words, maybe we still would've done it on a dry field?

I agree. I think last PM, the weather was the most important factor with Duke hoping to pin Miami deep in their own territory and hoping for a turnover after a 25-30 yard that would "die" in the slop .

devildeac
11-04-2018, 10:18 PM
You keep mentioning this one. Perhaps if the referee in the end zone who signaled a touchdown would have also stopped the clock as it should have after a TD call, so that a proper review could have happened, the team and coaches wouldn't have been caught with the clock running down to a couple of seconds.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Finally, someone who saw/remembers the same thing as me (even though I was at the other end of the field).