PDA

View Full Version : Audio and Transcripts Fromm Adidas Trial

Avvocato
10-26-2018, 12:58 AM
See link below. Some interesting calls.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25085072/wiretap-audio-evidence-college-hoops-pay-play-released

ChillinDuke
10-26-2018, 09:35 AM
See link below. Some interesting calls.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25085072/wiretap-audio-evidence-college-hoops-pay-play-released

Wow Nassir Little audio is 5 mins long and pretty incredible to me.

- Chillin

devildeac
10-26-2018, 09:51 AM

- Chillin

Probably a lot of typos in that one. :rolleyes::mad:

HereBeforeCoachK
10-26-2018, 10:39 AM
I believe one of the transcripts mixes up Christian with Gassnola.

arnie
10-26-2018, 12:16 PM

- Chillin

Could this have bearing on the Cheat decision to not nominate Little for rookie of year honor.

JasonEvans
10-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Could this have bearing on the Cheat decision to not nominate Little for rookie of year honor.

Care to expand on this? I'm not sure what could be connected here.

Owen Meany
10-26-2018, 02:06 PM
I looked up information on Merle Code when his lawyer tried to bring ZW into this mess. I didn't comment at the time because the story didn't seem to gain a lot of traction here and I didn't want to prolong it. But it seems relevant with the release of these transcripts (I have not listened to them, by the way, so something could have changed from what I read earlier).

Nassir Little was (in)directly named in the initial reporting of the FBI story - that is, it was easy to connect the dots to see that he was Player-12. Code was speaking to someone and claimed that Little was being paid 6 figures to go to Arizona and that adidas needed to match his offer so he would sign with Miami. Apparently, additional texts or calls eventually surfaced that showed that this was likely not true.

It is important to remember that, by their own admission, the defendants in this case broke the rules and were involved in questionable dealings. So a great deal of skepticism is in order when listening to their claims. In their positions, it was in their own self-interests to inflate or fabricate their closeness to families, how much inside information they had, how much money they needed sent their way so they can procure athlete's etc. Now, as they face significant prison sentences, they have even more reasons to lie. So, every claim they make should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Little, Zion, and anyone else whose name gets mentioned, deserve the benefit of the doubt until concrete evidence shows otherwise.

I do find it interesting that the Nassir Little angle seemed to have gathered no traction from the same individuals who were very vocal when Zion Williamson's name was mentioned. Both involve very similar claims made by the exact same individual. The Little claim is much more specific and concerning ($150,000 vs a vague "his dad wants something"). Surely, if you think he lied in one instance, you would doubt his veracity in another, almost identical, situation. I'm not sure how you dismiss one claim but credit the other.

I would hope that Nassir Little being mentioned by Code would prevent UNC fans, in particular, from casting aspersions ZW's and Duke's way. Of course, I would have thought the Myron Piggie talk would have ended when Roy Williams came to UNC, since Piggie was financed by prominent KU booster Tom Grant whose primary goal seemed to be to lure Jaron Rush to Kansas (Grant was very close to the Rush family - the brothers stayed at his home and received significant benefits from him, including private school tuition. In addition, Jaron got nearly 10x the cash from MP that Maggette got).

Bluedog
10-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Am I the only one that thinks these Adidas guys are crazy and don't understand client acquisition in their space? It was almost comical seeing the list of players and by whom they were getting paid from and then who they eventually signed with when they went pro. The players almost always open it up again and go with a different company/agent. What are these grown people thinking??? Clearly, their strategy doesn't even work on top of being illegal. Idiocy.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-26-2018, 05:36 PM
Am I the only one that thinks these Adidas guys are crazy and don't understand client acquisition in their space? It was almost comical seeing the list of players and by whom they were getting paid from and then who they eventually signed with when they went pro. The players almost always open it up again and go with a different company/agent. What are these grown people thinking??? Clearly, their strategy doesn't even work on top of being illegal. Idiocy.

These vermin are the hangers on.....the kind of persons trying to weasel their way into an industry that they are not qualified to participate in nor coach in.

JasonEvans
10-26-2018, 06:20 PM

I've argued for a while that the real motivation here is not to curry favor with the player and then get that player as an endorser. The goal is to steer good players to prominent programs with which your company has an apparel/shoe deal. Adidas makes a heck of a lot more selling Louisville/Kansas/Arizona Final Four and National Championship apparel than they do off all but the truly elite NBA player's shoes. Other than Lebron, Steph, KD, and a few others, the money to be made from "signature shoes" is nothing compared to university apparel deals.

-Jason "put another way, this wasn't about paying the players, it was about giving their programs a competitive advantage on the court" Evans

Bluedog
10-26-2018, 08:08 PM
I've argued for a while that the real motivation here is not to curry favor with the player and then get that player as an endorser. The goal is to steer good players to prominent programs with which your company has an apparel/shoe deal. Adidas makes a heck of a lot more selling Louisville/Kansas/Arizona Final Four and National Championship apparel than they do off all but the truly elite NBA player's shoes. Other than Lebron, Steph, KD, and a few others, the money to be made from "signature shoes" is nothing compared to university apparel deals.

-Jason "put another way, this wasn't about paying the players, it was about giving their programs a competitive advantage on the court" Evans

I could buy that theory. Although with the agent stuff last year they were looking to curry favor with the guys as they didn't represent shoe companies -- and that didn't seem to work.