PDA

View Full Version : ACC Preseason Poll

JasonEvans
10-25-2018, 03:01 PM
At Operation Basketball, the media voted and guess who is #1?

ACC Operation Basketball 2018-19 Preseason Poll
(First-place votes in parenthesis)

Duke (52) - 1709
Virginia (47) - 1699
North Carolina (20) - 1641
Syracuse (1) - 1268
Virginia Tech - 1187
Clemson (1) -1148
Florida State - 1127
NC State - 885
Notre Dame - 859
Miami - 816
Louisville - 735
Boston College - 568
Georgia Tech - 324
Wake Forest - 313
Pitt - 241

JasonEvans
10-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Preseason all-ACC teams

First Team

Luke Maye, UNC (111 points)
Tyus Battle, Syr (86)
RJ Barrett, Duke (76)
Kyle Guy, Virginia (62)
Ky Bowman, BC (58)

Second Team

Zion Williamson, Duke (55)
De'Andre Hunter, Virginia (32)
Justin Robinson, Va Tech (29)
Ty Jerome, Virginia (17)
Marcquise Reed, Clemson (16)

ACC Preseason Player of the Year

Luke Maye, North Carolina (50)
RJ Barrett, Duke (22)
Zion Williamson, Duke (15)
Tyus Battle, Syracuse (11)
Ky Bowman, Boston College (7)
Kyle Guy, Virginia (5)
De'Andre Hunter, Virginia (4)
Ty Jerome, Virginia (2)
Justin Robinson, Virginia Tech (2)
Cam Reddish, Duke (1)
T.J. Gibbs, Notre Dame (1)
Jaylen Hoard, Wake Forest (1)

ACC Preseason Freshman of the Year

RJ Barrett, Duke (66)
Zion Williamson, Duke (43)
Cam Reddish, Duke (4)
Jaylen Hoard, Wake Forest (3)
Coby White, North Carolina (2)
Jalen Carey, Syracuse (1)
Nate Laszewski, Notre Dame (1)
Jairus Hamilton, Boston College (1)

-Jason "I think it was awful nice of the ACC to let Jaylen Hoard's mother have a vote in the Player of the Year race" Evans

bullettoothtony
10-25-2018, 03:08 PM
Who would vote for North Carolina over Duke and Virginia?

I'm not saying they couldn't win the regular season but right now no way they're ahead of us and UVA.

JasonEvans
10-25-2018, 03:25 PM

I'm not saying they couldn't win the regular season but right now no way they're ahead of us and UVA.

It isn't that outlandish of a vote, not by a long shot.

In Luke Maye, Cam Johnson, and Kenny Williams they return three double-digit scorers from a year ago. Those three will be men playing with boys in many contests as they are 21, 22, and 21. Manley and Brooks showed they are pretty solid big men in the ACC. Nassir Little will likely challenge RJ and Zion for the title of best freshman in the conference (how did Little get 0 votes for FOY?!?!?!). Coby White is going to be a solid backcourt player from day one.

The only real question mark for the Heels is at PG. Seventh Woods has had an underwhelming career but has shown flashes of real potential. It will be interesting to see if he or White get the starting nod but I would expect them to split time for the most part.

The Heels are experienced with All-ACC caliber players, deep up front, and have a pair of Mickie Dee freshmen... sounds like a very reasonable formula for winning the league.

-Jason "now excuse me while I go take a shower... gross!" Evans

dukelifer
10-25-2018, 03:34 PM

In Luke Maye, Cam Johnson, and Kenny Williams they return three double-digit scorers from a year ago. Those three will be men playing with boys in many contests as they are 21, 22, and 21. Manley and Brooks showed they are pretty solid big men in the ACC. Nassir Little will likely challenge RJ and Zion for the title of best freshman in the conference (how did Little get 0 votes for FOY?!?!?!). Coby White is going to be a solid backcourt player from day one.

The only real question mark for the Heels is at PG. Seventh Woods has had an underwhelming career but has shown flashes of real potential. It will be interesting to see if he or White get the starting nod but I would expect them to split time for the most part.

The Heels are experienced with All-ACC caliber players, deep up front, and have a pair of Mickie Dee freshmen... sounds like a very reasonable formula for winning the league.

Yes- UNC has a lot of experience and talent. I see them as a possible regular season champion. I have not looked at their schedule- but that will play into it. Virginia D is always an issue and they will be hungry this year. Duke is so young and inexperienced - it will take a while to get rolling. Duke is the most dangerous team late in the season - but they will have their ups and downs. So I would give UVA the edge but UNC is right there and Duke is likely third with a chance to be a very good team by March.

wobatus
10-25-2018, 03:46 PM

It is a bit surprising Little got no ROY votes. He's supposedly a top 5 pick in most mocks for 2019. Maybe an opportunity question (as opposed to Laszewski, Hamilton and Hoard), but he should get plenty of playing time.

Kenpom has Duke, UNC and UVa 2, 3 and 4 in the country. Syracuse 8. Very tight.

bullettoothtony
10-25-2018, 04:19 PM
Virginia returns three guys (all of whom are pre-season first and second team all-ACC picks) from a team that lost one conference game and won the ACC Tournament. That alone puts them ahead of Carolina.

And we have three of the top four projected picks in next year's NBA Draft. We're top heavy in terms of overall team talent, but that top heavy talent is obscene.

No way I'd pick Carolina over us or Virginia. And obviously most of the voters agree with me.

Nothing else to add, other than ^ you're right about Little not getting any votes. That's ridiculous.

devildeac
10-25-2018, 04:20 PM

What Jason said above, plus I thought someone here posted that the acc commish provided them with a pretty favorable schedule this year, too :rolleyes:.

tbyers11
10-25-2018, 04:34 PM
It is a bit surprising Little got no ROY votes. He's supposedly a top 5 pick in most mocks for 2019. Maybe an opportunity question (as opposed to Laszewski, Hamilton and Hoard), but he should get plenty of playing time.

Kenpom has Duke, UNC and UVa 2, 3 and 4 in the country. Syracuse 8. Very tight.

Little wasn't nominated by UNC SID

@TheBenSwain (https://twitter.com/TheBenSwain/status/1055521727856459776)

A reminder that Nas Little received 0 votes for All-ACC, Player of the Year or Rookie of the Year because his school did not nominate him #OperationHideNas

11:09 AM - 25 Oct 2018

devildeac
10-25-2018, 04:39 PM

A reminder that Nas Little received 0 votes for All-ACC, Player of the Year or Rookie of the Year because his school did not nominate him #OperationHideNas

I guess ol roy is hoping to develop him over 2 years or more...

:rolleyes:

DarkstarWahoo
10-25-2018, 04:53 PM
I, too, think that T.J. Gibbs will be the ACC POY, an opinion that is in no way insane.

Wander
10-25-2018, 05:07 PM
We all know how this is going to go. Virginia will win the ACC regular season and then lose to Creighton or somebody similar in the second round.

Troublemaker
10-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Yes- UNC has a lot of experience and talent. I see them as a possible regular season champion. I have not looked at their schedule- but that will play into it. Virginia D is always an issue and they will be hungry this year. Duke is so young and inexperienced - it will take a while to get rolling. Duke is the most dangerous team late in the season - but they will have their ups and downs. So I would give UVA the edge but UNC is right there and Duke is likely third with a chance to be a very good team by March.

UVA will be hungry for NCAA tournament success. The ACC regular season crown? That's old hat to them. Gun to my head, I'd pick UVA to finish first but if there were ever a season when they could suffer surprising regular season losses, this would be it. When the buzzer sounded on UMBC's upset in March, I seared into my brain, "Next season, UVA will be underrated in the postseason and probably overrated in the regular season." It's just human nature, and I can't wait to bet on them in the NCAA tourney.

The problem is picking a replacement for them at the top. UNC doesn't have a true PG this season, so there's no way I'm picking them first (although I do recall thinking their schedule is favorable). And Duke has to prove that we can overcome the swoon that we always seem to suffer at the beginning of the ACC slate. Hard to finish on top if you put yourself in an early hole.

JasonEvans
10-25-2018, 05:15 PM

Wait... whaaaat? Since when do teams have to nominate guys for these awards? Are we assuming the media is too stupid to recognize who might be a significant freshman on each team? Why are we even having them vote if we figure they have no idea who the top freshmen may be?

This may be the stupidest thing I have ever heard about preseason award lists, which is a patently stupid thing anyway. I am guessing this is why Cam Reddish didn't get a single vote, Duke was probably only allowed to nominate 2 guys for the award.

And why would Carolina not bother to nominate Little? It isn't like the NBA is unaware of a guy who just won the Mickie Dee game MVP!!

-Jason "if I still was allowed to bet pies I'd be tempted to wager on whether the Heels start Little to start the season. He plays the same position as Cam Johnson and Roy loooooves to not start his freshman studs" Evans

JasonEvans
10-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Virginia returns three guys (all of whom are pre-season first and second team all-ACC picks) from a team that lost one conference game and won the ACC Tournament. That alone puts them ahead of Carolina.

And we have three of the top four projected picks in next year's NBA Draft. We're top heavy in terms of overall team talent, but that top heavy talent is obscene.

No way I'd pick Carolina over us or Virginia. And obviously most of the voters agree with me.

To be clear, I was not saying I would pick Carolina #1. I was merely saying doing so is not some truly outrageous and indefensible thing to do. I largely agree with the percentage of votes:

Duke - 43% to win ACC Reg Season
Vir - 39% to win ACC Reg Season
UNC - 16% to win ACC Reg Season
Syracuse/Clemson - about 1% each
Rest of the ACC - no chance

sagegrouse
10-25-2018, 05:58 PM
To be clear, I was not saying I would pick Carolina #1. I was merely saying doing so is not some truly outrageous and indefensible thing to do. I largely agree with the percentage of votes:

Duke - 43% to win ACC Reg Season
Vir - 39% to win ACC Reg Season
UNC - 16% to win ACC Reg Season
Syracuse/Clemson - about 1% each
Rest of the ACC - no chance

I wouldn't put Duke first. We have no proven college players on the roster. Except maybe Javin. Third or fourth is my guess. We could be better, but we could also be worse.

And that's why they play the games.

WiJoe
10-25-2018, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't put Duke first. We have no proven college players on the roster. Except maybe Javin. Third or fourth is my guess. We could be better, but we could also be worse.

And that's why they play the games.

You are WAY too logical for this site. But then, you are SAGE.

OldPhiKap
10-25-2018, 06:14 PM
My ballot would be:

1. UVA
2. UNC
3. Duke

But we will be the most dangerous team in March if healthy.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-25-2018, 06:28 PM

HAH, got a laugh out of your signature line there. These things always bring up a question that it seems so few ask or answer: do the voters in this poll A: think this is how the teams are now or B: this is how the teams will finish the ACC standings or C: this is how the teams will rank relative to each other at the end of the season?

This is more of a question with things like the pre season AP polls, where the pre season poll then becomes the basis of the first regular season poll.

A team like Duke with 4 frosh as the 4 best players...that's a team that can be great and a real national contender at the end of the season - but hard to think they are there now, and hard to think they'll get that way in time to win the ACC regular season...I think Duke has the best chance of any ACC team to win the Natty, but I don't think they have the best chance to win the ACC reg season. I think the cheats or UVa has that.

EDIT: I see now a good number of posters think Duke will not win the reg season, but will be the best team in March. Smart folks around here...

duke4ever19
10-25-2018, 06:48 PM
I, too, think that T.J. Gibbs will be the ACC POY, an opinion that is in no way insane.

I think Kyle Guy is getting ready to go on an epic revenge/redemption tour this season.

He's got just the right amount JJ Redick arrogance circa 2004 in him and he's going to need it, because UVA will be on the receiving end of all kinds of creative chants.

BandAlum83
10-25-2018, 07:17 PM
I think Kyle Guy is getting ready to go on an epic revenge/redemption tour this season.

He's got just the right amount JJ Redick arrogance circa 2004 in him and he's going to need it, because UVA will be on the receiving end of all kinds of creative chants.

I can hear the alternating chant now:

64!

1!

64!

1!

PackMan97
10-25-2018, 09:07 PM
I'm a bit surprised that Markell Johnson (State) got no love. He was far and away the leading assist man in the ACC last season. Top 5 in steals. ...and led the team to a surprise 11- 7 conference record and NCAAT appearance.

Eh, we'll just prove it on the court like we did last season.

Kedsy
10-25-2018, 11:17 PM
Manley and Brooks showed they are pretty solid big men in the ACC.

Sorry, you lost me right here. Especially with Brooks, who can't shoot outside of a few feet and was a terrible rebounder for a big man last season.

Coby White is going to be a solid backcourt player from day one.

Maybe, maybe not. Players ranked #27 in the RSCI are usually solid players eventually, but certainly not always from "day one." Or even close to always.

Seventh Woods has had an underwhelming career but has shown flashes of real potential.

This is a guy with a career 29% shooting percentage, 76.0 oRtg, and 32.6% TO pct. Those are truly abominable numbers. I can't imagine where you've seen those "flashes of real potential."

Every year, people around here overstate the quality of UNC's roster. I don't have any idea what place they'll finish in the ACC, but I don't think any of Brooks, Woods, Manley, or even White would play more than a few garbage-time minutes for Duke this season.

Wander
10-25-2018, 11:47 PM
Every year, people around here overstate the quality of UNC's roster.

Nah, that is the opposite of the trend of "DBR preseason UNC predictions" the past few years. One example is a prominent poster (not you) a few years back handing out insults in the preseason, calling everyone who thought UNC could be better than UVA an idiot who deserved no respect. The season's results didn't exactly turn out that way.

UVa1981
10-26-2018, 12:26 PM
UVA will be hungry for NCAA tournament success. The ACC regular season crown? That's old hat to them. Gun to my head, I'd pick UVA to finish first but if there were ever a season when they could suffer surprising regular season losses, this would be it. When the buzzer sounded on UMBC's upset in March, I seared into my brain, "Next season, UVA will be underrated in the postseason and probably overrated in the regular season." It's just human nature, and I can't wait to bet on them in the NCAA tourney.

The problem is picking a replacement for them at the top. UNC doesn't have a true PG this season, so there's no way I'm picking them first (although I do recall thinking their schedule is favorable). And Duke has to prove that we can overcome the swoon that we always seem to suffer at the beginning of the ACC slate. Hard to finish on top if you put yourself in an early hole.

FWIW, I think this year's UVa team may be better than last year's. (N.B., this is not the same as saying this year's UVa team will be better than Duke's, UNC's, or anybody's.)

To be sure, we (UVa) lost two fine defensive players in Wilkins and Hall. But we picked up a proven, excellent defender in Braxton Key (junior transfer from Alabama, All-SEC freshman team, who received a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately) who played some outstanding defense against Guy in our intra-squad scrimmage. Diakite's post game appears to have flourished in the off-season. Huff appears better in every aspect of his game. Clark (pesky 5-9 PG) is sufficiently frustrating in his on-ball defense to cause Jerome to send the ball after Clark's head. Jerome and Guy are now juniors. Hunter developed physically over the summer.

And, while all of that is true, from all that I've heard from the players, they're owning the UMBC loss. To be sure, this is a different team, this is a different year, and they're teenagers (mostly). But their mindset seems to be right on target. I'm eager to see if it holds through a long season into the NCAAs.

It's that mindset combined with the development that makes me think this team may be substantially better than last year's. In any event, it will be interesting to see what mindset UVa brings when the ball is tipped.

jipops
10-26-2018, 12:27 PM
My ballot would be:

1. UVA
2. UNC
3. Duke

But we will be the most dangerous team in March if healthy.

I feel the same. Just like the last few seasons, we're going to stumble and suffer some frustrating losses due to youth whereas UVA and unc have their experience to go along with an array of talent to rely on. However, I also feel like it's probable we'll finish the season as a better team than unc, and possibly even UVA. But I think getting there is just going to be more of a roller coaster.

JasonEvans
10-26-2018, 01:10 PM
FWIW, I think this year's UVa team may be better than last year's. (N.B., this is not the same as saying this year's UVa team will be better than Duke's, UNC's, or anybody's.)

To be sure, we (UVa) lost two fine defensive players in Wilkins and Hall. But we picked up a proven, excellent defender in Braxton Key (junior transfer from Alabama, All-SEC freshman team, who received a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately) who played some outstanding defense against Guy in our intra-squad scrimmage. Diakite's post game appears to have flourished in the off-season. Huff appears better in every aspect of his game. Clark (pesky 5-9 PG) is sufficiently frustrating in his on-ball defense to cause Jerome to send the ball after Clark's head. Jerome and Guy are now juniors. Hunter developed physically over the summer.

And, while all of that is true, from all that I've heard from the players, they're owning the UMBC loss. To be sure, this is a different team, this is a different year, and they're teenagers (mostly). But their mindset seems to be right on target. I'm eager to see if it holds through a long season into the NCAAs.

It's that mindset combined with the development that makes me think this team may be substantially better than last year's. In any event, it will be interesting to see what mindset UVa brings when the ball is tipped.

Having seen exactly zero games that mean anything this season, I'll say right now that I will probably pick the Hoos to be a Final Four team. Getting a waiver for Braxton Key was a surprise and certainly helps. It is entirely possible that Guy, Jerome, and Hunter will be the best perimeter group in the ACC, if not the nation. I shudder when I think of Duke's freshmen playing against your defense... ugh!

That said, you can't just shrug off the loss of your best outside shooter and a dude who was a freaking psychic on defense. Isaiah Wilkins was about as good a help defender as I have ever seen at this level. I truly thought his D should have made him an All-ACC player last year, which would be pretty unlikely for a guy who averaged just 6 points and 6 rebounds per game.

-Jason "UNC is so freaking lucky to only get you guys once... and at home. Friggin Heels... grrrrr" Evans

Wahoo2000
10-26-2018, 09:11 PM
Having seen exactly zero games that mean anything this season, I'll say right now that I will probably pick the Hoos to be a Final Four team. Getting a waiver for Braxton Key was a surprise and certainly helps. It is entirely possible that Guy, Jerome, and Hunter will be the best perimeter group in the ACC, if not the nation. I shudder when I think of Duke's freshmen playing against your defense... ugh!

That said, you can't just shrug off the loss of your best outside shooter and a dude who was a freaking psychic on defense. Isaiah Wilkins was about as good a help defender as I have ever seen at this level. I truly thought his D should have made him an All-ACC player last year, which would be pretty unlikely for a guy who averaged just 6 points and 6 rebounds per game.

-Jason "UNC is so freaking lucky to only get you guys once... and at home. Friggin Heels... grrrrr" Evans

Bolded reminds me soooooooooooo much of 14-15 when people said the same of losing Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell. Not saying this year will be the same, but....... it's eerily similar.

UVa1981
10-28-2018, 12:49 PM

No way do I shrug off the loss of Hall and Wilkins, and I'm not sure which loss is bigger. Hall was our best perimeter defender, a very good 3 point shooter, and a solid rebounder as a guard. Wilkins covered so often for so many on D, his loss is hard to overstate.

That said, Diakite is the best big athlete on the team and was last year two. So I'm telling myself (this may amount to whistling past the graveyard) that Bennett will have developed Diakite's D to the point that he will partially make up for Wilkins' loss in the paint. Huff has a great deal of potential as a rim protector, but he does need to learn that he doesn't have to block every shot. I'm also seeing some potential assets on D, both in the paint and on the perimeter, from Hunter and Key.

With all that said, I don't expect the ridiculous adjusted KenPom defensive numbers this year as last. I do see a good chance the KenPom numbers will be in Bennett's top 5.

Where I see UVa being improved this year--which may more than compensate for some fall-off on D--is on offense. There is no doubt Hunter, Jerome, and Guy will be improved offensively.

I would say Key adds more additional offense firepower on the perimeter, but UVa is a defense first team and, though Key's on-ball defense against looked very, very good, there is more to the pack line than just that. Similarly, Huff brings offensive tools to the mix (high scorer with a mix of dunks, 3 pointers, and put backs in our scrimmage), but the question is: can he play pack line D at a sufficiently high level.

Diakite has polished his offensive game up in promising ways, like nice little left-handed drop steps to the rim.

I expect UVa to be easier to score on this year, but considerably harder to defend. I'll be watching with great interest. Basketball season is right around the corner. Yippee!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
10-28-2018, 01:55 PM
I expect UVa to be easier to score on this year, but considerably harder to defend. I'll be watching with great interest. Basketball season is right around the corner. Yippee!!!

Perhaps even watchable this season......

UVa1981
10-29-2018, 08:40 AM
Perhaps even watchable this season...

We Hoos are easy to please: winnable is always watchable.

dukelifer
10-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Huge monkey on those backs. UVA is going to do well but those nerves will come in the post season.

AGDukesky
10-29-2018, 09:13 AM
Huge monkey on those backs. UVA is going to do well but those nerves will come in the post season.

Agreed but at the same time Bennett will have a laser-focused group for that first game, and I think all the pressure will be off after that first win. Hopefully, no injuries will occur right before the NCAAs either...

Spanarkel
10-29-2018, 09:34 AM

I am NOT trying to be snarky here, but do you know the back story behind Braxton Key's receiving the family hardship waiver that allows him to play for UVa this season? When he decided to transfer in the spring, his twitter post stated that he "needed a change of scenery." I know that he is Ralph Sampson's nephew. IF UVa and Duke were in separate conferences, I'd pull for UVa. Thank you!

OldPhiKap
10-29-2018, 09:49 AM
Agreed but at the same time Bennett will have a laser-focused group for that first game, and I think all the pressure will be off after that first win. Hopefully, no injuries will occur right before the NCAAs either...

Yup. Duke endured what I think is still the most lopsided beatdown in Final Four history to Vegas in 1990. I am sure that was great motivation the next year.

UVa1981
10-29-2018, 10:27 AM
I am NOT trying to be snarky here, but do you know the back story behind Braxton Key's receiving the family hardship waiver that allows him to play for UVa this season? When he decided to transfer in the spring, his twitter post stated that he "needed a change of scenery." I know that he is Ralph Sampson's nephew. IF UVa and Duke were in separate conferences, I'd pull for UVa. Thank you!

I can offer a little color, I suppose. As you say, Key is Ralph Sampson's nephew; thus Key has family in the Harrisonburg area (where Sampson is from and close to Charlottesville), one of whom is ill. People in Charlottesville are being particularly quiet about just who it is and what the circumstances are (understandably, in my view). Those are the broad contours for the basis of the waiver, but very little is being made public, even on back channels.

I do know that Key and Kyle Guy roomed together during their AAU times, so that probably figured into the decision to transfer to UVa. Guy is infectiously gregarious.

brevity
10-29-2018, 10:27 AM
Yup. Duke endured what I think is still the most lopsided beatdown in Final Four history to Vegas in 1990. I am sure that was great motivation the next year.

Nope. “Final Four” includes national semifinals.

2016: Villanova 95, Oklahoma 51 (recap (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400873214))

The margin topped the 34-point Final Four wins by Cincinnati over Oregon State in 1962 and Michigan State over Penn in 1979.

So the 1990 title game has never been the most lopsided in Final Four history. (Most lopsided championship game, sure.)

thedukelamere
10-29-2018, 10:45 AM
I do know that Key and Kyle Guy roomed together during their AAU times, so that probably figured into the decision to transfer to UVa. Guy is infectiously gregarious.

For any Cheat fans who might be lurking in the thread and are confused by vocab words, this roughly translates to kuambukiza in Swahili.

JasonEvans
10-31-2018, 12:05 AM
ESPN released their Pre-Season All-American (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25075864/college-basketball-espn-preseason-all-america-team) list.

Carson Edwards- Purdue
Tyus Battle - Syracuse
RJ Barrett - Duke
Caleb Martin - Nevada
Luke Maye- UNC

No other Dukies to be found on the 2nd or 3rd team. Our St. John's nemesis Shamorie Ponds is on the 2nd team. The 3rd team includes Reid Travis of Kentucky and Virginia's Kyle Guy.

NSDukeFan
10-31-2018, 01:18 PM
ESPN released their Pre-Season All-American (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25075864/college-basketball-espn-preseason-all-america-team) list.

Carson Edwards- Purdue
Tyus Battle - Syracuse
RJ Barrett - Duke
Caleb Martin - Nevada
Luke Maye- UNC

No other Dukies to be found on the 2nd or 3rd team. Our St. John's nemesis Shamorie Ponds is on the 2nd team. The 3rd team includes Reid Travis of Kentucky and Virginia's Kyle Guy.

It’s hard for me to consider the Zion I have seen so far not being an All-American, but maybe that will change with him competing against better competition. I don’t think so.

bullettoothtony
10-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Just curious... are we the last team to have two players named first team all-americans at the end of the year (2001, Battier and Williams)?

bullettoothtony
10-31-2018, 01:28 PM
My bad... Redick and Williams were also first-teamers in '06 (on 3 of the 4, according to wiki).

Troublemaker
10-31-2018, 06:32 PM
Chris Clarke suspended indefinitely for VaTech. Very important player for the Hokies. No indication (at the time of this post) as to why he's suspended yet.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25136244/chris-clarke-virginia-tech-hokies-suspended-indefinitely

AGDukesky
10-31-2018, 06:48 PM
Chris Clarke suspended indefinitely for VaTech. Very important player for the Hokies. No indication (at the time of this post) as to why he's suspended yet.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25136244/chris-clarke-virginia-tech-hokies-suspended-indefinitely

Sounds like this might be permanent with reports he’s been removed from the roster

Troublemaker
11-02-2018, 08:57 PM
Phil Cofer, FSU's leading scorer last season, will be out about 6 weeks with a right foot injury.

http://www.dailycommercial.com/sports/20181102/depth-could-lead-no-17-florida-state-on-deep-postseason-run

HereBeforeCoachK
11-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Phil Cofer, FSU's leading scorer last season, will be out about 6 weeks with a right foot injury.

http://www.dailycommercial.com/sports/20181102/depth-could-lead-no-17-florida-state-on-deep-postseason-run

That ought to help FSU's annual stellar early season against non conference teams........:D