PDA

View Full Version : ACC Pigskin, Ninth Week

OldPhiKap
10-24-2018, 07:27 PM
Looks like we have:

Thursday
GT @ (-3)VT, Thu. at 7:30 ESPN (how is this line even close?)

Friday
(-3.5) MIA @ BC, Fri. at 7 ESPN (same question, though less so)

Saturday
(-7) Clemson @ FSU, Sat. at noon ABC
Wake @ (-2.5) Louisville, Sat. at noon (tell me you had this line preseason — I dare you)
Heels @ (-9) UVA, Sat. at 12:20 (finally, a line I can get behind)
(-2.5) Duke @ Pitt, Sat. at 3:30
(-2) State @ Cuse, Sat. at 7 the Deuce (Cuse actually started as a 1-point favorite !!!)

PackMan97
10-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Looks like we have:

Thursday

Friday

Saturday
Wake @ (-2.5) Louisville, Sat. at noon (tell me you had this line preseason — I dare you)
(-2) State @ Cuse, Sat. at 7 the Deuce (Cuse actually started as a 1-point favorite !!!)

I'll take Clemson against the line for 200 pies please. (just joking, but you get my point).

I'm hoping State doesn't let Clemson beat them twice and bounces back against the 'Cuse.

This is a game Duke needs desperately to get back on track.

Heels are so dangerous, you want them to lose but then you want them to keep Fedora which means they have to beat someone. UVa is a solid team, I don't think Carolina can play disciplined and mistake free enough to win that game.

JasonEvans
10-25-2018, 11:02 AM
I'll take Clemson against the line for 200 pies please. (just joking, but you get my point).

How how how is Clemson only a 7 point favorite against FSU? Has Vegas not seen FSU play this year?

Acymetric
10-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Looks like we have:

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

How how how is Clemson only a 7 point favorite against FSU? Has Vegas not seen FSU play this year?

The only lines there that makes sense to me is the Wake-Louisville line and the Duke line. The rest appear (in my non-expert opinion) to be nonsense.

devildeac
10-25-2018, 11:40 AM

I'm hoping State doesn't let Clemson beat them twice and bounces back against the 'Cuse.

This is a game Duke needs desperately to get back on track.

Heels are so dangerous, you want them to lose but then you want them to keep Fedora which means they have to beat someone. UVa is a solid team, I don't think Carolina can play disciplined and mistake free enough to win that game.

Wow. If Jason were to take that bet and win it, it'd soon be bariatric surgery time. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
10-25-2018, 09:45 PM
Busy bees are swarming in Blacksburg.

devildeac
10-25-2018, 10:17 PM

Wrong thread, turkey.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42237-I%92m-Not-Going-To-Jinx-It-2018-Football-Edition&highlight=jinx

devildeac
10-25-2018, 10:42 PM

Wrong thread, turkey.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42237-I%92m-Not-Going-To-Jinx-It-2018-Football-Edition&highlight=jinx

Stats of amazement for this game:

GT 464 yards rushing and 0 yards passing (0/1)

ToP: GT ~42 minutes, VT ~ 18 minute

:eek::eek:

OldPhiKap
10-25-2018, 10:43 PM
Wrong thread, turkey.

Yeah, but not sure I really care now that we have two losses.

Does this show our win against Tech was really impressive? Or that our loss against VT was really bad?

Because this one wasn’t close, and it was in Blacksburg. 49-28, final.

Gobble gobble.

duke2x
10-25-2018, 10:59 PM
Does this show our win against Tech was really impressive? Or that our loss against VT was really bad?

Yes on defense. Yes to all phases on VT. It also raises the question whether we put too much emphasis on defending GT.

Reilly
10-25-2018, 11:02 PM
ACC Coastal race

VT 3-1 ... BC ...@Pitt ... Mia ... UVa
UVa 3-1 ... UNC ... Pitt ... @GT ... @VT

Mia 2-1 ... @BC ... Duke ... @GT ... @VT ... Pitt
Pitt 2-1 ... Duke ... @UVa ... VT ... @WFU ... @Mia

GT 2-3 ... @UNC ... Mia ... UVa

Duke 1-2 ... @Pitt ...@Mia ... UNC ... @Clemson ... WFU

UNC 1-3 . ... @UVa ... GT ... @Duke ... NCSU

Bob Green
10-26-2018, 04:59 AM
Georgia Tech beats Virginia Tech by rushing for 465 yards and seven TDs yet we could not establish an effective running game against the Hokies. :confused:

Duke rushed for 71 yards on 36 carries.

Some teams just match up better against other teams.

PackMan97
10-26-2018, 08:25 AM
Credit VT for not allowing a single pass completion. They weren't going to allow run oriented GT to beat them through the air and they didn't!

PDDuke85
10-26-2018, 08:29 AM
Georgia Tech beats Virginia Tech by rushing for 465 yards and seven TDs yet we could not establish an effective running game against the Hokies. :confused:

The Georgia Tech offense keeps the D guessing. The Duke offense, not so much.

Acymetric
10-26-2018, 09:15 AM

I don't really understand why people compare rushing yards by GT against rushing yards by any other team. Of course they have a lot of rushing yards...that's their entire scheme! That said, that is a ton of yardage, but I don't think you can look at the rushing success of a triple option team and compare it to rushing success of teams that run normal offenses even though people do it in posts, articles, and radio segments all the time (you just happened to be the most recent example, maybe I'm the crazy one).

Dukelogger
10-26-2018, 09:50 AM
ACC Coastal race

VT 3-1 ... BC ...@Pitt ... Mia ... UVa
UVa 3-1 ... UNC ... Pitt ... @GT ... @VT

Mia 2-1 ... @BC ... Duke ... @GT ... @VT ... Pitt
Pitt 2-1 ... Duke ... @UVa ... VT ... @WFU ... @Mia

GT 2-3 ... @UNC ... Mia ... UVa

Duke 1-2 ... @Pitt ...@Mia ... UNC ... @Clemson ... WFU

UNC 1-3 . ... @UVa ... GT ... @Duke ... NCSU

I sat through the game behind the UVA sideline Saturday and came away more impressed with the Cavs than I was disappointed with my Devils. We're clearly banged up right now and without the depth to continue in an upward trajectory, and UVA looks like a team brimming with confidence and some good chemistry / mojo / whatever. Maybe Bronco's preseason comments that they didn't have any ACC caliber players was meant to light a fire under them, because their Oline and Dline and secondary looked the part. My gut tells me Miami's gonna lose @BC this Saturday and the two Virginia teams will be battling down the stretch for the chance to get pummelled by Clemson in Charlotte on December 1.

Bob Green
10-26-2018, 10:44 AM
I don't really understand why people compare rushing yards by GT against rushing yards by any other team. Of course they have a lot of rushing yards...that's their entire scheme!

Your comment is valid. How about yards per carry? Georgia Tech averaged 6 yards per carry while Duke averaged 2 yards per carry.

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, useless pet peeve of course, as I desire to see Duke's offense emphasize the run more than it does. That is not going to happen. It especially isn't going to happen while Brittain Brown is injured.

Reilly
10-26-2018, 12:20 PM
... useless pet peeve of course ...

No pet peeve is useless; they keep the rage fires burning. Otherwise, life would be placid and full of bonhomie.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-26-2018, 02:19 PM
From what I have seen of the ACC this year it’s Clemson and the 13 dwarfs. Maybe if we put together an all star team from the other 13 they might be able to compete with Clemson.

Another random thought, how about that defensive genius Bud Foster?

Every time I get to feeling this way I try to remember how I would have felt with a 5-2 record for most of my 51 years of being a Duke football fan.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2018, 10:04 PM
BC is 8 minutes away from a bowl bid.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2018, 10:28 PM
BC is 8 minutes away from a bowl bid.

And down goes Miami. Big benefit for Duke...if we make the most of our opportunities.

jwillfan
10-26-2018, 10:29 PM
And down goes Miami. Big benefit for Duke...if we make the most of our opportunities.

Win one at a time. Gotta TCB tomorrow at Pitt first.

jwillfan
10-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Win one at a time. Gotta TCB tomorrow at Pitt first.

Oh sorry, forgot the "Captain Obvious" emoji ��I'm a real wanker for saying this.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Oh sorry, forgot the "Captain Obvious" emoji ��I'm a real wanker for saying this.

HA! You should be an announcer. (And Pitt is one of those opportunities I was implicating.)

duke2x
10-26-2018, 10:44 PM
From what I have seen of the ACC this year it’s Clemson and the 13 dwarfs. Maybe if we put together an all star team from the other 13 they might be able to compete with Clemson...Every time I get to feeling this way I try to remember how I would have felt with a 5-2 record for most of my 51 years of being a Duke football fan.

I think we've pretty much eliminated ourselves from the ACC Championship game, but I'm expecting Stetson (RPI 300+, (8-20)) in Cameron to be more competitive during that time slot. (I will gladly eat my hoops tickets for a rematch with Clemson, however.)

I think the frustration comes from the fact that 2018 may have been a peak opportunity with this group. 6-6 could be a challenge next year with our schedule and graduation losses.

arnie
10-27-2018, 07:59 AM
I think we've pretty much eliminated ourselves from the ACC Championship game, but I'm expecting Stetson (RPI 300+, (8-20)) in Cameron to be more competitive during that time slot. (I will gladly eat my hoops tickets for a rematch with Clemson, however.)

I think the frustration comes from the fact that 2018 may have been a peak opportunity with this group. 6-6 could be a challenge next year with our schedule and graduation losses.

Yep, OOC record is almost a guaranteed 2-2 with losses to Bama and Notre Dame. Will need to split ACC games (Syracuse added); so 6-6 maybe a reasonable “goal” for the fans.

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2018, 10:37 AM
Yep, OOC record is almost a guaranteed 2-2 with losses to Bama and Notre Dame. Will need to split ACC games (Syracuse added); so 6-6 maybe a reasonable “goal” for the fans.
This is hijacking this thread, but I never pencil in ND as an auto loss. They consistently come very close to losing against teams they are expected to beat, and for what it's worth, the last time we played (in their stadium) we won. And that was a year we didn't go bowling.

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2018, 02:52 PM
FSU is getting shellacked at home, 45-0, by Clemson. It's not even the 4th quarter yet.

Avvocato
10-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Clemson is humming. 45-0 in the 3rd. Not a typical FSU team, though they have played better of late.

Acymetric
10-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Pretty hilarious moment where the ref calls UVA Virginia Tech.

JasonEvans
10-27-2018, 04:21 PM

}%]£}%]^]*!! I wish I had been in Vegas this week! Huge money could have been made.

DarkstarWahoo
10-27-2018, 04:29 PM
I was at the game, and the boos for “Timeout, Virginia Tech” were the loudest it got all afternoon.

PackMan97
10-27-2018, 08:02 PM
State wetting the bed at Syracuse do far

PackMan97
10-27-2018, 11:01 PM
Despite clawing back into the game and having the ball down 3 with a few minutes left to go...we throw an interception and allow the Orange to score a TD while trying to run out the clock.

Orange 51, Bed wetters 41.

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2018, 11:20 PM
Despite clawing back into the game and having the ball down 3 with a few minutes left to go...we throw an interception and allow the Orange to score a TD while trying to run out the clock.

Not a happy Sunday in the Triangle. :(:(:(

devildeac
10-27-2018, 11:56 PM
Not a happy Sunday in the Triangle. :(:(:(

One point of the Triangle provided at least a small dab of salve for Duke and NCSU fans.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Lotta moist mattresses around here...

PackMan97
10-28-2018, 12:09 PM
One point of the Triangle provided at least a small dab of salve for Duke and NCSU fans.

Nothing happened in Cary that I'm aware of...they don't even have a University. What might you be talking about?

75Crazie
10-28-2018, 12:53 PM
Nothing happened in Cary that I'm aware of...they don't even have a University. What might you be talking about?
Dunno, exactly. NCCU lost … not sure if Shaw even has a football program … what else could come after Duke and State in terms of upper education in the Triangle?

devildeac
10-28-2018, 01:29 PM

Perhaps you meant to ask Hoo I might be talking about...

Reilly
10-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Perhaps you meant to ask Hoo I might be talking about...

That's a cavalier response, DD.