PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB ranked 4th in AP poll

jimsumner
10-22-2018, 12:50 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25053949/kansas-leads-kentucky-ap-preseason-college-hoops-poll

Wahoo2000
10-22-2018, 01:01 PM
6 ACC teams in top 17, 7 in top 22.

Looking like it'll be a bumpy ride this year. Hopefully we (as a league) perform up to, or exceed expectations in the noncon portion of the schedule. Always helps with bids and seedings come March.

flyingdutchdevil
10-22-2018, 01:20 PM
On talent alone, we're top #3. On talent of our starting 5, we're #1. On team chemistry and defense, we're hopefully top #20. On experience, we're top #350.

I have an issue with Virginia NOT being ahead of us. If these polls are a measure of where teams end right before the tournament starts, UVA should be top #3, maybe even #1. And yes - UVA will win the ACC Reg Season (I know, I know...Reg Season winner doesn't establish the winner of the conference. But I think it's more important than ACC Tournament winner).

gocanes0506
10-22-2018, 01:23 PM
Only matters where you finish.

Wahoo2000
10-22-2018, 01:29 PM
On talent alone, we're top #3. On talent of our starting 5, we're #1. On team chemistry and defense, we're hopefully top #20. On experience, we're top #350.

I have an issue with Virginia NOT being ahead of us. If these polls are a measure of where teams end right before the tournament starts, UVA should be top #3, maybe even #1. And yes - UVA will win the ACC Reg Season (I know, I know...Reg Season winner doesn't establish the winner of the conference. But I think it's more important than ACC Tournament winner).

Looooong way to go from right now to get there. Injuries, suspensions, etc. Though I'll admit that experienced/veteran teams seem to have a decided advantage in the long haul of a regular season. For the record, I have no issues with UVA being behind Duke or any of the other teams ranked ahead of them. Or, frankly, any team at all. I think our (UVA) team last season pointed out the "far-from-perfect" nature of these preseason rankings (when we were unranked and projected 6th in the ACC).

I was thrilled to see this morning that Braxton Key's waiver was granted. That guy will/should be our sixth man and provide tremendous versatility and depth off the bench for Bennett. If he can get up to speed quickly in the pack line responsibilities...... I actually think we'll be BETTER overall than we were last season.

JasonEvans
10-22-2018, 02:27 PM
I actually think we'll be BETTER overall than we were last season.

Round of 32, here you come!

Sorry... that was mean ;)

-Jason "I agree with the above comment that Virginia should be the regular season title faves... nothing I have seen the past several years dissuades me from thinking that Bennett is among the 5 best coaches in the land" Evans

Troublemaker
10-22-2018, 02:29 PM
Looooong way to go from right now to get there. Injuries, suspensions, etc. Though I'll admit that experienced/veteran teams seem to have a decided advantage in the long haul of a regular season. For the record, I have no issues with UVA being behind Duke or any of the other teams ranked ahead of them. Or, frankly, any team at all. I think our (UVA) team last season pointed out the "far-from-perfect" nature of these preseason rankings (when we were unranked and projected 6th in the ACC).

I was thrilled to see this morning that Braxton Key's waiver was granted. That guy will/should be our sixth man and provide tremendous versatility and depth off the bench for Bennett. If he can get up to speed quickly in the pack line responsibilities... I actually think we'll be BETTER overall than we were last season.

Who's emerging as your main perimeter backup player? I think the key to UVA's season is that guy. UVA was special last year when Hunter could play the 4, imo. At the very least, even if Hunter plays most of his minutes at the 3, you want the lineup flexibility to toggle back and forth between going two bigs and playing Hunter at the 4.

UrinalCake
10-22-2018, 03:11 PM
We will potentially play two of the top three and three of the top 11 teams before December.

DarkstarWahoo
10-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Who's emerging as your main perimeter backup player? I think the key to UVA's season is that guy. UVA was special last year when Hunter could play the 4, imo. At the very least, even if Hunter plays most of his minutes at the 3, you want the lineup flexibility to toggle back and forth between going two bigs and playing Hunter at the 4.

Kihei Clark is looking like he's going to be that guy. He's a very widdle guy and had little to no recruiting profile, but Jeff Goodman was praising him today. Sounds like he can at least get after guys on defense and give Jerome a few minutes a game.

Key and Hunter are also capable of playing some 2 in a pinch, but that's not going to result in a very effective lineup.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-22-2018, 03:33 PM
6 ACC teams in top 17, 7 in top 22.

Looking like it'll be a bumpy ride this year. Hopefully we (as a league) perform up to, or exceed expectations in the noncon portion of the schedule. Always helps with bids and seedings come March.

Yes indeed, but of course, we can count on Virginia Tech, Miami, Florida State, NC State and some others to lay eggs to nobodies in the early season....as they always do.

Bob Green
10-22-2018, 03:40 PM
On experience, we're top #350.

I'm expecting some bumps in the road along the way.

weezie
10-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Kihei Clark is looking like he's going to be that guy. He's a very widdle guy... but Jeff Goodman was praising him today.

Are you making fun of Goodman's speech impediment? :cool:

And the national love affair with Gonzaga and Mark continues.

DarkstarWahoo
10-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Are you making fun of Goodman's speech impediment? :cool:

And the national love affair with Gonzaga and Mark continues.

I swear I've never heard the man talk! I was going more for a Tommy Boy sort of thing - "Him just a widdle guy. Him scared."

After Clark committed to UVA, a poster on one message board linked to this article (https://slamonlineph.com/university-virginia-cavaliers-land-fil-hs-floor-general-kihei-clark/) with the title "Middle-school boy dribbles oversized basketball," which is one of the more brutally funny things I've seen about a UVA player.

jimsumner
10-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Kihei Clark is looking like he's going to be that guy. He's a very widdle guy and had little to no recruiting profile, but Jeff Goodman was praising him today. Sounds like he can at least get after guys on defense and give Jerome a few minutes a game.

Key and Hunter are also capable of playing some 2 in a pinch, but that's not going to result in a very effective lineup.

One of my primary complaints about Duke's recent recruiting strategy is the serious under-prioritization of widdle players. You can never have too many widdle guys.

Wahoo2000
10-22-2018, 06:48 PM

I fully expect Jerome and Guy to both be logging 32+mpg through the regular season, and 35+ in postseason. Hunter might play as little as 10-15mpg at the "3", and the rest at stretch 4.
Backup minutes I'd speculate as of now:
Kihei Clark about 0-8 at PG (a MUCH less explosive Chris Lykes - VERY small, very quick, excellent handle, good passer. Mediocre explosiveness and shooting)
Marco Anthony about 10-15 between the 2 and 3 (think Devon Hall EARLY in his career)
Braxton Key at about 20-25 at the 3 (similar to Hunter, but a good bit less skilled. Excellent length/defensive ability, underrated driver of the ball)

I think as we wind down toward late Feb and into March, our core rotation will be 7 guys:
Jerome
Guy
Hunter
Diakite
Salt
Key
Anthony/Huff (one of those two will have a "real" role, the other be a consistent 5-8mpg guy).

Getting Key eligible was HUGE from a flexibility standpoint. With him as 6th man, he can sub out ANY starter and we can move positions around to adjust as necessary.

fuse
10-22-2018, 07:07 PM
One of my primary complaints about Duke's recent recruiting strategy is the serious under-prioritization of widdle players. You can never have too many widdle guys.

Today I learned “widdle” makes it past the DBR language filter. I am looking forward to how the community embraces this opportunity 🤣

devildeac
10-22-2018, 07:22 PM
Today I learned “widdle” makes it past the DBR language filter. I am looking forward to how the community embraces this opportunity 🤣

We're all pretty wascally folks.

moonpie23
10-23-2018, 03:00 PM
4 is fine.....it's good for the ego to be #1 in Pre-season, but really doesn't mean much

BandAlum83
10-24-2018, 04:55 PM
We will potentially play two of the top three and three of the top 11 teams before December.

The Champions Classic is not set up as a tournament. It's only one game. We will play only Kentucky and then possibly #11 Auburn among the top 25 before December as I see it.

Indiana, Xavier, San Diego State and Texas Tech are all among "others receiving votes" if we look to the end of December. Don't be surprised if Xavier takes down Auburn, either. But if they do, it wouldn't get them into the top 25 before we play them (because of the timing of games relative to the polls updating).

pfrduke
10-24-2018, 04:56 PM
The Champions Classic is not set up as a tournament. It's only one game. We will play only Kentucky and then possibly #11 Auburn among the top 25 before December as I see it.

Indiana, Xavier, San Diego State and Texas Tech are all among "others receiving votes" if we look to the end of December. Don't be surprised if Xavier takes down Auburn, either. But if they do, it wouldn't get them into the top 25 before we play them (because of the timing of games relative to the polls updating).

Possible matchup with Gonzaga in the Maui final (if both teams make it that far)

BandAlum83
10-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Possible matchup with Gonzaga in the Maui final (if both teams make it that far)

Yup...The other side of the bracket doesn't show up on the Duke schedule. It also adds Arizona as a potential matchup that is on the "others receiving votes" list. So our early schedule is (potentially) very strong indeed! A tough test for a very young team.

For those playing along at home, here is the Maui Classic Bracket:

Maui Classic (https://mauiinvitational.com/news/2018/7/24/general-highly-anticipated-matchups-revealed-in-maui-jim-maui-invitational-bracket.aspx)

MCFinARL
10-25-2018, 10:31 AM
4 is fine....it's good for the ego to be #1 in Pre-season, but really doesn't mean much

Yes. And in fact, with such a young, inexperienced team, I think it may be all to the good to avoid the pressure of a pre-season #1 ranking. Who wants to carry that into the Duke-Kentucky game, which will be pressure enough on its own? Much better to play that game without the idea that Duke is "supposed to" win.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2018, 01:49 PM
Fun little tidbit.

The 2018-19 AP Preseason poll — released Monday — was the 20th preseason poll this century.

Only one team in all of college basketball has been ranked in every single one: Duke.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-23/duke-basketball-has-most-ap-preseason-poll-appearances