PDA

View Full Version : A cool random Duke story!

Lord Ash
10-19-2018, 10:37 AM
So get this!

Late last night, I'm futzing around on eBay, and I decide to do a google search for "Duke blue devils" just to see what's out there... any cool memorabilia or anything? I sort by "most expensive first" and this championship game ring comes up! Its from the 78 team, with a name that doesn't look familiar; it's not a player that I recognize.

So I'm like "Huh, who is this person?" So I do a quick search, and it turns out it was one of the student managers from that year, a guy who is now a lawyer.

I found his website and sent them a quick note through their website letting them know. I mean, I am sure nobody will see the note or care, but whatever, its worth at least reaching out.

Just a short while later, the guy himself writes back, asking who I am. I told him I'm just a Duke grad who happened to see this... is this his ring?

He said yes, it was! He had it from 78, and was wearing it at the Final Four in 1990, and lost it! He had been looking for it, searching pawn shops and eBay and the like, ever since, even looking into having another made, and was thrilled to see it, because he had been looking for 28 years.

Thankfully he got it from eBay, and it's back with its owner!

Anyway... talk about a COMPLETELY random story, and thought folks might appreciate it:D

thedukelamere
10-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Make sure you buy a lotto ticket today... Maybe the basketball gods will allow you to cash in your good karma for $900M. ;)

tteettimes
10-19-2018, 10:52 AM

Lord Ash
10-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Make sure you buy a lotto ticket today... Maybe the basketball gods will allow you to cash in your good karma for $900M. ;)

Hah! Right?:) Hey, I'll be fine with a national title this year, I'm not greedy;)

CrazyNotCrazie
10-19-2018, 11:08 AM
So get this!

Late last night, I'm futzing around on eBay, and I decide to do a google search for "Duke blue devils" just to see what's out there... any cool memorabilia or anything? I sort by "most expensive first" and this championship game ring comes up! Its from the 78 team, with a name that doesn't look familiar; it's not a player that I recognize.

So I'm like "Huh, who is this person?" So I do a quick search, and it turns out it was one of the student managers from that year, a guy who is now a lawyer.

I found his website and sent them a quick note through their website letting them know. I mean, I am sure nobody will see the note or care, but whatever, its worth at least reaching out.

Just a short while later, the guy himself writes back, asking who I am. I told him I'm just a Duke grad who happened to see this... is this his ring?

He said yes, it was! He had it from 78, and was wearing it at the Final Four in 1990, and lost it! He had been looking for it, searching pawn shops and eBay and the like, ever since, even looking into having another made, and was thrilled to see it, because he had been looking for 28 years.

Thankfully he got it from eBay, and it's back with its owner!

Anyway... talk about a COMPLETELY random story, and thought folks might appreciate it:D

Nicely done - you did a Mitzvah. If I recall, you were the same person who was looking for Hamilton tickets - you should let Miranda know this story...