PDA

View Full Version : ACC honors Rahming, Giles-Harris and Rumph

jimsumner
10-15-2018, 02:23 PM
http://theacc.com/news/2018/10/15/acc-announces-football-players-of-the-week.aspx

devildeac
10-15-2018, 02:44 PM
http://theacc.com/news/2018/10/15/acc-announces-football-players-of-the-week.aspx

Impressive first start for Rumph. Very impressive. Next man up, indeed.

JasonEvans
10-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Whaaat? TJ Rahming is a nice player and I like him, but he did not have a great game. 4 receptions is nothing special and the TD was thanks to a defender tripping over his own feet. Plus, he had a couple really boneheaded plays: 1) the punt he let bounce and then fielded at the 1 and then ran into the end zone, almost resulting in a safety... 2) his attempt to go for the pylon from waaay too far away, which would have resulted in a drive-killing fumble if he had not been fortunate enough to step out of bounds first.

I mean, if that was the best performance of the week for an ACC receiver, I weep for the conference.

Hang on, let me check all the conference box scores to see who should have won it instead...

https://images.parents.mdpcdn.com/sites/parents.com/files/styles/width_300/public/images/p_101528432.jpg

-Jason "it was not a good weekend for ACC pass catchers" Evans

BandAlum83
10-15-2018, 03:42 PM
Whaaat? TJ Rahming is a nice player and I like him, but he did not have a great game. 4 receptions is nothing special and the TD was thanks to a defender tripping over his own feet. Plus, he had a couple really boneheaded plays: 1) the punt he let bounce and then fielded at the 1 and then ran into the end zone, almost resulting in a safety... 2) his attempt to go for the pylon from waaay too far away, which would have resulted in a drive-killing fumble if he had not been fortunate enough to step out of bounds first.

I mean, if that was the best performance of the week for an ACC receiver, I weep for the conference.

Hang on, let me check all the conference box scores to see who should have won it instead...

https://images.parents.mdpcdn.com/sites/parents.com/files/styles/width_300/public/images/p_101528432.jpg

-Jason "it was not a good weekend for ACC pass catchers" Evans

Jason, while I won't disagree with your points about Rahming's punt returning prowess, I must disagree with your characterization of the TD reception. Rahming made an excellent move to create separation which may have gotten the defender turned around enough to cause the trip. Even if that were not true, the separation it did provide was by far enough to result in a TD, because Jones' throw was pinpoint accurate and hit Rahming in stride.

BandAlum83
10-15-2018, 03:46 PM

That wasn't at all impressive. I mean, according to the GT Coach, I could have shot the gap created by boneheaded O-Line check offs that created gaps big enough to drive a Mac Truck through.

Really.

If only they had stuck to the game plan, GT probably would have won by 3 touchdowns. Maybe 4.

It so refreshing when a coach doesn't blame the refs or the coaching staff. He's keeping it real! It was the fault of the un-named (to the public) lineman. Throw that student-athlete under the bus!

OldPhiKap
10-15-2018, 03:48 PM
That wasn't at all impressive. I mean, according to the GT Coach, I could have shot the gap created by boneheaded O-Line check offs that created gaps big enough to drive a Mac Truck through.

Really.

If only they had stuck to the game plan, GT probably would have won by 3 touchdowns. Maybe 4.

It so refreshing when a coach doesn't blame the refs or the coaching staff. He's keeping it real! It was the fault of the un-named (to the public) lineman. Throw that student-athlete under the bus!

And as a good coach, PJ let him keep doing it so he would learn from his mistakes.

You'll never improve if folks spoon-feed these things to you, after all.

BandAlum83
10-15-2018, 03:51 PM
And as a good coach, PJ let him keep doing it so he would learn from his mistakes.

You'll never improve if folks spoon-feed these things to you, after all.

Truth!

Now PJ has an entire game of film to show the numbskull. That is so much more effective than talking to him at halftime, or taking him out of the game for a sitdown.

A FULL GAME worth of film! Much more effective.

OldPhiKap
10-15-2018, 04:20 PM
Truth!

Now PJ has an entire game of film to show the numbskull. That is so much more effective than talking to him at halftime, or taking him out of the game for a sitdown.

A FULL GAME worth of film! Much more effective.

I know I'm not a coach and all, but if you have a system that allows the line to audible the blocking scheme -- but that does not have a mechanism to pass that call on to the receivers you need to block the end -- is there perhaps a flaw in your system?

Asking for a guy running wind sprints this morning up the stairs of Bobby Dodd. Thanks!

BandAlum83
10-15-2018, 05:31 PM
I know I'm not a coach and all, but if you have a system that allows the line to audible the blocking scheme -- but that does not have a mechanism to pass that call on to the receivers you need to block the end -- is there perhaps a flaw in your system?

Asking for a guy running wind sprints this morning up the stairs of Bobby Dodd. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's not systemic. It is most certainly a personnel problem. The player in question needed to use his OUTSIDE VOICE, not his inside voice.

I'm pretty sure he got confused, the poor soul. He thought he couldn't be so loud as to allow the Duke player to hear and intercept the play call.

OldPhiKap
10-15-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not systemic. It is most certainly a personnel problem. The player in question needed to use his OUTSIDE VOICE, not his inside voice.

I'm pretty sure he got confused, the poor soul. He thought he couldn't be so loud as to allow the Duke player to hear and intercept the play call.

Good point. It ain't a secret of you tell everyone.

jimsumner
10-15-2018, 06:28 PM
The ACC gives an award to the best special-teams player of the week.

Rahming did not win that.

His punt-return issues have no relevance to his successes as a receiver. All four of his catches resulted in first downs, his touchdown the go-ahead score late in the third quarter.

I've seen better receiving performances, including some by Rahming. But it was hardly a negligible performance.

sagegrouse
10-15-2018, 07:48 PM

I can't wait until someone on this Board happens to overlook Chris, and I get to say "Har-RUMPH!!"

devildeac
10-15-2018, 10:24 PM
I can't wait until someone on this Board happens to overlook Chris, and I get to say "Har-RUMPH!!"

Very curmudgeonly of you. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
10-15-2018, 10:51 PM
The idea of Sage as a coiled mouse trap, waiting to spring upon the unsuspecting, is what will sustain me in the lean times.

Indoor66
10-16-2018, 08:31 AM
The idea of Sage as a coiled mouse trap, waiting to spring upon the unsuspecting, is what will sustain me in the lean times.

Lean is a word to use sparingly around DBR, from what I have seen. :p:cool: