PDA

View Full Version : 5 Out Offense

hallcity
10-15-2018, 01:24 PM
I'm reading tweets saying that Coach K said today that he planned to use a 5 Out Motion offense (http://blog.coachbase.com/5-out-motion-offense-complete-guide/) from this year forward as long as he coaches at Duke. I think Golden State has been running this. Is anyone else in the college ranks using this offense?

PackMan97
10-15-2018, 01:28 PM
I'm reading tweets saying that Coach K said today that he planned to use a 5 Out Motion offense (http://blog.coachbase.com/5-out-motion-offense-complete-guide/) from this year forward as long as he coaches at Duke. I think Golden State has been running this. Is anyone else in the college ranks using this offense?

I believe UVa uses it. Is this the offense where you wait for five fans to pass out from boredom before you attempt a shot?

I think Huggins at WVU uses it.

devildeac
10-15-2018, 01:31 PM
I believe UVa uses it. Is this the offense where you wait for five fans to pass out from boredom before you attempt a shot?

Packman really rolling today with this, NCSU football going 14-0 and wanting to keep the Hat on a long term contract with the cheats. :p

Troublemaker
10-15-2018, 01:46 PM

Villanova is one example, of course.

If true, I'm happy to hear it. I think Coach may have reviewed last season and was disgusted by the two-big, lane-clogging offense that he ran. "Never again."

Banana
10-15-2018, 01:48 PM
The way our football season has been progressing, I initially feared that “5 Out Offense” meant that five offensive starters would not be able to play this Saturday against Virginia. 😀

hallcity
10-15-2018, 01:49 PM
Villanova is one example, of course.

If true, I'm happy to hear it. I think Coach may have reviewed last season and was disgusted by the two-big, lane-clogging offense that he ran. "Never again."

Hasn't Villanova run a 4 out motion offense rather than 5 out?

Billy Dat
10-15-2018, 02:02 PM
I think it likely means he has more confidence in our ability to shoot than the national consensus would have one believe. I also think that it is a good way to move guys like RJ, Zion and Cam around the floor to create scoring opportunities. While it would seem to exclude a traditional big like Marquese, there are lots of opportunities to roll, post-up mismatches, etc. I think it's a good development.

Troublemaker
10-15-2018, 02:08 PM
Hasn't Villanova run a 4 out motion offense rather than 5 out?

Not when they had sweet-shooting centers like Omari Spellman and Eric Paschall. Just look at clips of Spellman on youtube.

For Duke, we don't have a Spellman, so the way we void the middle will be to have Javin and Marques set screens on the perimeter (either on-ball or off).

UrinalCake
10-15-2018, 03:04 PM
I hope Vernon Carey doesn’t pay attention to media day 8-(

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-15-2018, 03:19 PM
The way our football season has been progressing, I initially feared that “5 Out Offense” meant that five offensive starters would not be able to play this Saturday against Virginia. 😀

I, too, opened this thread thinking it's about football. Maybe MB could be added to the title. ;)

weezie
10-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Makes sense after seeing a team that barely knew each other in Toronto being able to pass with laser focus.
Although K will likely have more than the hoo strategy up his sleeve. Good Lord...

JasonEvans
10-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Well, but Carey has to know he will need to develop perimeter skills to succeed in the NBA. The NBA simply does not value back-to-the-basket power players any more. Coming to Duke will ensure that Carey gets to build those skills.

Plus, when he does decide to go into the post, having the rest of the team hanging out faar away from the basket will mean maximum space to operate in the lane. Carey can certainly succeed in a big way in this kind of offense.

-Jason "and if you are Isaiah Stewart, this means Duke's style of play fits your game like a glove" Evans

Kfanarmy
10-15-2018, 03:34 PM

Source?

BandAlum83
10-15-2018, 03:37 PM

Without getting too technical, how does this differ from the Motion Offense K brought with him back in 1980?

HereBeforeCoachK
10-15-2018, 03:45 PM
The way our football season has been progressing, I initially feared that “5 Out Offense” meant that five offensive starters would not be able to play this Saturday against Virginia. ��

THIS ^^^....right there with ya Nana.
My next thought? By by Marques....

hallcity
10-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Source?

Steve Wiseman (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article220019745.html) has now written it up. Contrary to some speculation you can read above, Coach K wants to rely less upon outside shooting and more on driving the ball.

BandAlum83
10-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Steve Wiseman (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article220019745.html) has now written it up. Contrary to some speculation you can read above, Coach K wants to rely less upon outside shooting and more on driving the ball.

So if I am to understand, this year will be full of incredible 15 minute highlight reels for each game. Zion filling at least 50% of that!

This is going to be fun to watch!

brlftz
10-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Well, but Carey has to know he will need to develop perimeter skills to succeed in the NBA. The NBA simply does not value back-to-the-basket power players any more. Coming to Duke will ensure that Carey gets to build those skills.

Plus, when he does decide to go into the post, having the rest of the team hanging out faar away from the basket will mean maximum space to operate in the lane. Carey can certainly succeed in a big way in this kind of offense.

-Jason "and if you are Isaiah Stewart, this means Duke's style of play fits your game like a glove" Evans

I thought it was Carey that has perimeter skills, with Stewart being the banger inside.

UrinalCake
10-15-2018, 03:54 PM
I’m just hoping we don’t succumb to the five out DEFENSE.

dukelifer
10-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Okay- but how does that work with zones? Clearly he has the players to play this right now- and so as long as he is coaching could mean just this year.

sagegrouse
10-15-2018, 04:39 PM
So if I am to understand, this year will be full of incredible 15 minute highlight reels for each game. Zion filling at least 50% of that!

This is going to be fun to watch!

Won't Zion usually fill more than 50 percent of the frame?

Troublemaker
10-15-2018, 04:43 PM
Here's the link to the presser on WRAL: https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/17917357/

I assume GoDuke will have it up at some point

With how much Carey likes to float outside and shoot jumpers, he would love the idea of a 5-out offense, imo.

Without getting too technical, how does this differ from the Motion Offense K brought with him back in 1980?

More pick-n-roll and (obviously) more three-point shooting would be my guess. We'll see what it looks like.

Okay- but how does that work with zones? Clearly he has the players to play this right now- and so as long as he is coaching could mean just this year.

Against Syracuse, we would have to play zone offense. The 5-out thing is really more of a m2m offense.

hallcity
10-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Does Bolden have much of a role in this sort of offense?

Troublemaker
10-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Does Bolden have much of a role in this sort of offense?

Sure. Set great screens, then run to the rim and catch lob dunks. That's what his role would be in the NBA, anyway.

If you listen to the presser, Coach K rattles off a bunch of NBA teams that he says falls into the "5 out motion" bucket. And he specifically mentions Houston and Clint Capela as a great rim runner. Frankly, I don't think we're going to see anything revolutionary here. It sounds like we're going to run a lot of the spread pick-n-roll that you see in the NBA.

JasonEvans
10-15-2018, 09:03 PM
I thought it was Carey that has perimeter skills, with Stewart being the banger inside.

Yup. I flip flop them every time. I have some kind of mental block regarding this. It is freaky.

Indoor66
10-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Yup. I flip flop them every time. I have some kind of mental block regarding this. It is freaky.

Maybe it is merely one of the joys that comes with passing years. We all experience it.