PDA

View Full Version : About those road wins

jimsumner
10-13-2018, 10:37 PM
Duke has played three games on the road, against teams from three different Power-Five conferences.

Duke was an underdog in all three.

Duke won all three, by margins of 14, 13 and 14 points.

A useful factoid.

Newton_14
10-13-2018, 11:06 PM
Duke has played three games on the road, against teams from three different Power-Five conferences.

A useful factoid.

Thanks as always Jim. Personally I feel that factoid should carry a lot of weight in the polls/rankings. I would bet very few teams have accomplished that same feat to date this season.

Hopefully today gets us back into the Top 25 where we absolutely belong. That Duke Defense is no joke!

CameronBlue
10-14-2018, 12:55 AM

A useful factoid.

I just hope that Duke has enough healthy players to require chartering something bigger than a King Air to get to the game.

brevity
10-14-2018, 04:23 AM

A useful factoid.

I would bet very few teams have accomplished that same feat to date this season.

This again (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42265-FB-Duke-40-Baylor-27&p=1089444#post1089444)? All right.

I don't know about spreads and underdogs, but Duke is one of 4 teams with 3 road wins against Power 5 conference teams.

Duke (3-0): wins at Northwestern, Baylor, and Georgia Tech
Clemson (3-0): wins at Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest
Florida (3-0): wins at Tennessee, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech (3-1): wins at Florida State, Duke, UNC; loss at Old Dominion

Other teams with 3-0 road records are Buffalo (won at Rutgers), Cincinnati (won at UCLA), North Texas (won at Arkansas), and Marshall.

Other teams with 3-1 road records are Boise State (won at Oklahoma State), Louisiana Tech, and Western Michigan.

Sixthman
10-14-2018, 04:40 AM
This again (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42265-FB-Duke-40-Baylor-27&p=1089444#post1089444)? All right.

I don't know about spreads and underdogs, but Duke is one of 4 teams with 3 road wins against Power 5 conference teams.

Other teams with 3-0 road records are Buffalo (won at Rutgers), Cincinnati (won at UCLA), North Texas (won at Arkansas), and Marshall.

Other teams with 3-1 road records are Boise State (won at Oklahoma State), Louisiana Tech, and Western Michigan.

Boise State lost at Oklahoma State

brevity
10-14-2018, 04:42 AM
Boise State lost at Oklahoma State

So they did. No Power 5 road victories for Boise State. Sorry, everybody. Next time I'll look more carefully, or take a pill for insomnia and not post at all.

budwom
10-14-2018, 08:20 AM
Now we get to see if we can win at home (as well as on the road)...no easy games left...UVA's defense vs Miami was very very good, and they've given us fits the last few years...Pitt played well, unc dominated VT but lost, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

Devilwin
10-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Thanks as always Jim. Personally I feel that factoid should carry a lot of weight in the polls/rankings. I would bet very few teams have accomplished that same feat to date this season.

Hopefully today gets us back into the Top 25 where we absolutely belong. That Duke Defense is no joke!

The Duke defense is indeed no joke. But the offensive line needs work, and so does the secondary. Ga Tech is not a passing team. So we'll see how that shakes out.
The Cheats nearly beat VaTech last night, and that gives me pause. Maybe we just had a bad game..But I still think 8 wins is a possibility.

MarkD83
10-14-2018, 09:13 AM
The Duke defense is indeed no joke. But the offensive line needs work, and so does the secondary. Ga Tech is not a passing team. So we'll see how that shakes out.
The Cheats nearly beat VaTech last night, and that gives me pause. Maybe we just had a bad game..But I still think 8 wins is a possibility.

Having watched all of the VT games this year since my kids are VT grads, my view is the unc game was the "bad" version of this year's VT team.

VT is young and prone to up and down games. Against Duke they were "up" after losing to ODU the week before. Against unc they played like they did against ODU, with very little energy...that is...until the last 6:30 of the game when the VT defense caused a fumble and the offense drove the length of the field for the winning TD.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-14-2018, 09:23 AM
On the one hand, when you consider that NW has a few nice wins, that Army dominated time of possession at Oklahoma and almost beat them, and that Baylor came extremely close to beating Texas at Texas - our three road wins are extremely quality wins.

That said, going forward, it appears Pitt and Virginia have found something good, and I never like it when we're favored over the Cheats in football. That rarely works out. I could see 10-2...or 6-6. (prolly something in between)

OldPhiKap
10-14-2018, 09:40 AM
On the one hand, when you consider that NW has a few nice wins, that Army dominated time of possession at Oklahoma and almost beat them, and that Baylor came extremely close to beating Texas at Texas - our three road wins are extremely quality wins.

That said, going forward, it appears Pitt and Virginia have found something good, and I never like it when we're favored over the Cheats in football. That rarely works out. I could see 10-2...or 6-6. (prolly something in between)

Yup. The teams we have beaten are pretty good. The teams left on our schedule are dangerous.

We are a pretty good team, but the last two games have been sloppy. We have great opportunities ahead if we improve mentally.

duke2x
10-14-2018, 10:45 AM
Now we get to see if we can win at home (as well as on the road)...no easy games left...UVA's defense vs Miami was very very good, and they've given us fits the last few years...Pitt played well, unc dominated VT but lost, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

We've been this way for a long time. Whatever us v. world mentality our team takes for road games needs to be bottled up and shared beforehand. We need to play the same before the 500-800 Duke fans we had there yesterday v. the 25K in Wally Wade.

Just FYI--if you are driving from RDU through NC/SC on I-85 any time in the near future--such as Clemson, allow at least an extra hour for traffic regardless of time. It took me 8+ hours to drive both ways.

jimsumner
10-14-2018, 11:55 AM

Was Clemson an underdog in all three games?

Wander
10-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Easy? No, probably not. But we really are better than UVA and Pitt. We've got a very good chance at having a 7-1 record heading to Miami.

jimsumner
10-14-2018, 01:09 PM

No doubt that Pitt, UVA and UNC all look more formidable today then they did yesterday morning.

But Virginia Tech looks vulnerable. I like Duke's chances in that one. :)

Newton_14
10-15-2018, 02:59 AM
So they did. No Power 5 road victories for Boise State. Sorry, everybody. Next time I'll look more carefully, or take a pill for insomnia and not post at all.

I thought it was only me that suffers from insomnia (and apparently memory loss as well) :cool: