PDA

View Full Version : Good Reason to $ to "The Athletic" - CUT

Billy Dat
10-11-2018, 02:20 PM
https://theathletic.com/582399/2018/10/11/david-cutcliffe-duke-coach-football-profile/

GREAT profile.

PSurprise
10-11-2018, 02:55 PM
https://theathletic.com/582399/2018/10/11/david-cutcliffe-duke-coach-football-profile/

GREAT profile.

Making one an "athletic supporter"

Troublemaker
10-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Good Reason to $ to "The Athletic" - CUT

Do they have a free trial? For one article (even if it's great), I would go the free trial, then cancel, route.

Can't speak for everyone, but my experience with great sports content/analysis online is that there's way more of it freely available (often in podcast form) than I have time to consume. So, I can't really justify paying for The Athletic myself. If I had additional time, I would just consume more of the freely available stuff, no?

The one exception I would make is if The Athletic builds out a great high school basketball recruiting section under Andrew Slater, which is possible in time. Under that scenario, they would be offering something unique that's worth it.

Billy Dat
10-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Do they have a free trial? For one article (even if it's great), I would go the free trial, then cancel, route.

Can't speak for everyone, but my experience with great sports content/analysis online is that there's way more of it freely available (often in podcast form) than I have time to consume. So, I can't really justify paying for The Athletic myself. If I had additional time, I would just consume more of the freely available stuff, no?

The one exception I would make is if The Athletic builds out a great high school basketball recruiting section under Andrew Slater, which is possible in time. Under that scenario, they would be offering something unique that's worth it.

I am one of those guys trying to do my part to prop up quality journalism in an industry under siege. It's not too expensive, and I have liked it so far. Do I read it enough to get my $ worth...maybe not.

But it is a really good profile of Cut.

cato
10-11-2018, 04:27 PM

They do and I am on it right now. I signed up when someone linked a story about Jah.

I like it but doubt I will get beyond the week without canceling.

luburch
10-12-2018, 06:41 AM
The Athletic often runs promo deals so you can get a year-long subscription for $30-40. I did that last year and liked it enough to stick around at the full-price of $60.

The profile on Cut is fantastic.

JetpackJesus
10-12-2018, 07:29 PM

A lot of it depends on your sports market(s) of choice. The Athletic has great national coverage, but it doesn't really cover every market and team yet. I subscribed once they entered the Buffalo market (there was a discount code so it was like $40 for the year). The Sabres and Bills coverage has been really, really good. They also have Braves and Panthers coverage that I enjoy. The Duke coverage has been sparse, though. Hopefully that changes.

Even at the full subscription price of $60/year, I would be more than pleased with the coverage.