PDA

View Full Version : Roy remains dumbfounded

arnie
10-09-2018, 09:36 PM
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article219739360.html

Newton_14
10-09-2018, 10:15 PM
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article219739360.html

I actually agree with Ol Roy on the NCAA's decision to denied the preseason charity game with South Carolina. The hurricane victims need all of the help they can get. It's stupid to not allow the game. But hey it is the NCAA we are talking about here. So it is right on par with every other dumb decision they have made in my lifetime.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-09-2018, 10:32 PM
I actually agree with Ol Roy on the NCAA's decision to denied the preseason charity game with South Carolina. The hurricane victims need all of the help they can get. It's stupid to not allow the game. But hey it is the NCAA we are talking about here. So it is right on par with every other dumb decision they have made in my lifetime.

The NCAA is perhaps the most tone deaf stupid a** organization I've ever encountered. They are obtuse. They are so bureaucratic. Clearly run by a bunch of academic bureaucrats with no understanding of the real world.

UrinalCake
10-09-2018, 10:45 PM
Saw the thread title and thought this would be about Roy's comments regarding the ongoing FBI trial, in which he insists he has never had any dealings with shoe companies and they have never helped him win a recruit. He's getting slaughtered on Twitter, with many pointing out that the university has gone to great lengths to conceal how much he gets paid by Nike.

Also, I'm sure we all believe that Air Jordans had absolutely nothing to do with him ever landing a recruit.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Having to takes sides between Roy and the NCAA is like trying to decide which kind of turd tastes best.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-09-2018, 11:47 PM
Having to takes sides between Roy and the NCAA is like trying to decide which kind of turd tastes best.
You must spread some comments around...

BigWayne
10-10-2018, 12:30 AM
Clemson and UNCW are playing a charity game. (https://www.starnewsonline.com/sports/20181002/uncw-to-host-clemson-in-hoops-exhibition-for-florence-relief) In order to make it happen they had to give up their closed door scrimmages they had previously scheduled against Ole Miss and Coastal Carolina, respectively. They chose to make a sacrifice to be able to contribute to the relief effort. Roy wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

arnie
10-10-2018, 06:05 AM
Saw the thread title and thought this would be about Roy's comments regarding the ongoing FBI trial, in which he insists he has never had any dealings with shoe companies and they have never helped him win a recruit. He's getting slaughtered on Twitter, with many pointing out that the university has gone to great lengths to conceal how much he gets paid by Nike.

Also, I'm sure we all believe that Air Jordans had absolutely nothing to do with him ever landing a recruit.

Yes, this is a long article on his dumbfoundedness and discusses the FBI trial (not sure everyone will read the whole article). I think he was equally dumbfounded with the 20+ years of cheating.

plimnko
10-10-2018, 06:40 AM

after the "resolution" of the 18 years of academic fraud, I consider them the same turd. in math terms.....uncheats = uncaa = oj

HereBeforeCoachK
10-10-2018, 06:54 AM

Well I don't think of it as taking Roy's side....it's the side of logic and decency....or it's Frank Martin's side....or its the side of the Florence victims....all of that is on one side...only the pathetic NCAA, and some sort of sick mindset that bureaucratic rules are more important than common sense, is on the other side. It's not Roy's side, Roy just happens to be on the right side in this one.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2018, 07:09 AM
Well I don't think of it as taking Roy's side...it's the side of logic and decency...or it's Frank Martin's side...or its the side of the Florence victims...all of that is on one side...only the pathetic NCAA, and some sort of sick mindset that bureaucratic rules are more important than common sense, is on the other side. It's not Roy's side, Roy just happens to be on the right side in this one.

Like BigWayne said, though — they could do this by dropping a scrimmage.

PackMan97
10-10-2018, 08:05 AM
I'm dumbfounded that UNC continues to try and lie and cheat and gain a competitive advantage.

UNC has two "preseason games". Drop one of them. Drop the secret scrimmage. Drop the in-state charity game they already play.

This is simply UNC trying to find a way for a third pre-season game and I'm very thankful the NCAA did not allow it. It should be seen as nothing more than it is, UNC attempting to cheat and gain an edge over other teams. Anyone want to guess where the ACCT is this season? The Spectrum Center, the same place that UNC wants to play this charity game. Coincidence?

Someone needs to call out UNC. Trying to hid behind "charity" is as despicable as hiding behind the AFAM Studies department.

weezie
10-10-2018, 08:09 AM
...Someone needs to call out UNC. Trying to hid behind "charity" is as despicable as hiding behind the AFAM Studies department.

Finger snaps all around. I like the way PackMan thinks. Deft needle work.

elvis14
10-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Clemson and UNCW are playing a charity game. (https://www.starnewsonline.com/sports/20181002/uncw-to-host-clemson-in-hoops-exhibition-for-florence-relief) In order to make it happen they had to give up their closed door scrimmages they had previously scheduled against Ole Miss and Coastal Carolina, respectively. They chose to make a sacrifice to be able to contribute to the relief effort. Roy wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

BigWayne has it right. Roy is a cheater, and his "aw shucks" good 'ol boy act in front the press is tired and ridiculous.

I'm sorry but it's not even close. UNCheat is by far the worst of the two. Yes the NCAA sucked for letting UNCheat buy it's way out of penalties but the bottom line is that the UNCheaters simply outspent the NCAA in order to skate, which makes UNCheater even worse. Oh and good 'ol dumb-founded Roy should have been fired for cheating.

I'm dumbfounded that UNC continues to try and lie and cheat and gain a competitive advantage.

UNC has two "preseason games". Drop one of them. Drop the secret scrimmage. Drop the in-state charity game they already play.

This is simply UNC trying to find a way for a third pre-season game and I'm very thankful the NCAA did not allow it. It should be seen as nothing more than it is, UNC attempting to cheat and gain an edge over other teams. Anyone want to guess where the ACCT is this season? The Spectrum Center, the same place that UNC wants to play this charity game. Coincidence?

Someone needs to call out UNC. Trying to hid behind "charity" is as despicable as hiding behind the AFAM Studies department.

Thank you PackMan97 for showing what's truly going on here. If UNCheat really wants to help, they showed the kind of $$ they can easily throw around when they bought their way out of punishment (note that they didn't by their way out of being cheaters, just from being punished) and they can throw some of that money around to organizations that provide relief. Sell a few more ugly blue t-shirts if you really want to help.

9F redacted those cheating mother redacted redacted and their redacted dirty redacted mother redacted redacted too!

HereBeforeCoachK
10-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Like BigWayne said, though — they could do this by dropping a scrimmage.

Well that misses a couple big points:
A: Those scrimmages they would have to drop involve other teams, innocent of all of this. In some cases, money has been exchanged for those already...so it's not that easy.
B: BUT MOSTLY: It's the principle. This is to me, not about UNC or Roy or any of that - this is about the NCAA being obtuse and bureaucratic Barney Fife's...kind of like their absurd ruling on State's player, Beverly I think his name was. Sometimes a written rule violates the very spirit of the notion it was designed to protect. In those cases, adults need to step in.
C: My dislike of UNC does not trump my sense of logic. It never will. I simply reject the notion that this is a UNC issue. It's an issue of common sense, and UNC just happens to be involved, as is S. Carolina.

elvis14
10-10-2018, 08:38 AM
A: Those scrimmages they would have to drop involve other teams, innocent of all of this. In some cases, money has been exchanged for those already...so it's not that easy.
B: BUT MOSTLY: It's the principle. This is to me, not about UNC or Roy or any of that - this is about the NCAA being obtuse and bureaucratic Barney Fife's...kind of like their absurd ruling on State's player, Beverly I think his name was. Sometimes a written rule violates the very spirit of the notion it was designed to protect. In those cases, adults need to step in.
C: My dislike of UNC does not trump my sense of logic. It never will. I simply reject the notion that this is a UNC issue. It's an issue of common sense, and UNC just happens to be involved, as is S. Carolina.

With UNCheat's deep pockets they could pay off whatever team they have to cancel a scrimmage with just as easily has they paid off all those lawyers and PR firms. My dislike of UNCheat exceeds any dislike I'd ever have for the NCAA. Roy's aw shucks the NCAA won't let me do something nice act is pure BS, his school can throw around the $$ to get this done if they really cared.

TruBlu
10-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Couldn’t unc simply donate the proceeds from one of their already scheduled exhibition games?** Or is this too simple, and prevents unc from gaining a competitive advantage by having an extra game.

** Other North & South Carolina schools could donate proceeds from an exhibition game. (Hint, hint.)

PackMan97
10-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Couldn’t unc simply donate the proceeds from one of their already scheduled exhibition games?** Or is this too simple, and prevents unc from gaining a competitive advantage by having an extra game.

** Other North & South Carolina schools could donate proceeds from an exhibition game. (Hint, hint.)

What Carolina wants is to not have to make any sacrifice and to also gain experience playing at the site of the 2019 ACCT.

NC State is donating the proceeds from our preseason event, "Primetime with the Pack" to Wilmington area charities. The event is sold out.

There are a lot of things Carolina could do, but we all know the one thing they won't do. Sacrifice something.

hudlow
10-10-2018, 09:38 AM
"remains dumbfounded"

That indicates to me that somehow, someone thinks there's a chance that it's not a permanent condition?

thedukelamere
10-10-2018, 09:40 AM

I'd choose the turd with the disgusting consistency wrapped in red tape over the wine and cheese turd that has has chunks of unused timeouts in it.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Still waiting on Roy's fundraiser for Haiti.

ChillinDuke
10-10-2018, 09:53 AM

What Carolina wants is to not have to make any sacrifice and to also gain experience playing at the site of the 2019 ACCT.

NC State is donating the proceeds from our preseason event, "Primetime with the Pack" to Wilmington area charities. The event is sold out.

There are a lot of things Carolina could do, but we all know the one thing they won't do. Sacrifice something.

I agree with PackMan on this.

While it literally hurts my brain to defend the NCAA, UNC should not be allowed an extra chance to gain an edge just because they can label it, in this instance, "charity".

There were and are simple ways of helping those affected by the Hurricane without allowing an extra edge. A few of those options have already been discussed - and the most obvious of which (to me) is dropping a "secret" closed-door scrimmage.

- Chillin

TruBlu
10-10-2018, 09:55 AM

State good.

unc bad.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2018, 09:59 AM
State good.

unc bad.

Thus saith TueBlue, thus saith us all.

Wander
10-10-2018, 10:21 AM
A few of those options have already been discussed - and the most obvious of which (to me) is dropping a "secret" closed-door scrimmage.

Yup. If UNC had two preseason games against smaller schools (like we do), I could maybe see the argument that you didn't want to cancel the game, which would be crappy for the smaller school and people who bought tickets. But it should be pretty easy to replace the closed-door scrimmage if charity was really the primary motivating factor (for UNC... South Carolina would have a harder time, but I don't think that's the case Roy was making). They could also donate proceeds from a different game, of course: UNC has four non-conference games against a team from North or South Carolina. So I call BS on Roy, the NCAA made the right decision.

Reddevil
10-10-2018, 10:25 AM
"remains dumbfounded"

That indicates to me that somehow, someone thinks there's a chance that it's not a permanent condition?

I do not see "remains dumbfounded" and 'permanent condition" as mutually exclusive.

I do see the NCAA decision as obtuse. Everyone knows that a good judge finds the necessary wiggle room in the law to provide the proper conclusion. The NCAA is a terrible judge.

That said, I do hope unc will find a way to make it happen, but then they would have to be the adult in the room. Step up for once heels. It's been too long.

UrinalCake
10-10-2018, 10:33 AM
The school should just gather up all those empty seats in the nose dome for every non-Duke game and let flood victims/evacuees have them. They’ll just have to be sure not to yell “miss it” and get themselves thrown out.

devildeac
10-10-2018, 10:41 AM
I do not comprehend why there is a compound word in the title of this thread.

NSDukeFan
10-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Shouldn’t Carolina just play the exhibition game and then deny it to the NCAA? I hear it’s worked before.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Shouldn’t Carolina just play the exhibition game and then deny it to the NCAA? I hear it’s worked before.

Or, they could schedule it and just not go.

devildeac
10-10-2018, 11:47 AM

You both have earned an "A" for your essays and 3 credit hours for your work. Congratulations!

arnie
10-10-2018, 11:58 AM
I do not comprehend why there is a compound word in the title of this thread.

You are correct. My fault, should have phrased it “Roy found to be dumb”

House P
10-10-2018, 12:19 PM
You are correct. My fault, should have phrased it “Roy found to be dumb”

I think the correct punctuation is

"Roy remains dumb, found ed"

I have no idea who ed is and why he doesn't capitalize his name, but I tend to agree with his findings.

There were and are simple ways of helping those affected by the Hurricane without allowing an extra edge. A few of those options have already been discussed - and the most obvious of which (to me) is dropping a "secret" closed-door scrimmage.

It seems like an obvious compromise would be for UNC to ask the NCAA if they could make their "secret" scrimmage open to the public if all the proceeds went to Hurricane relief efforts.

lotusland
10-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Without doing a taste test I’m going with the NCAA.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-10-2018, 12:53 PM
I agree with PackMan on this.

While it literally hurts my brain to defend the NCAA, UNC should not be allowed an extra chance to gain an edge just because they can label it, in this instance, "charity".

- Chillin

I reject the notion that this is an edge. That's a real streeeeeeeeeeee-------eeeeeeeeee-------tch.

lotusland
10-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Everyone wants an advantage. Schools would find a cause to raise money for every year. What do mean we can’t raise money to fight the opioid epidemic in surrounding counties???

ChillinDuke
10-10-2018, 01:44 PM
I reject the notion that this is an edge. That's a real streeeeeeeeeeee-------eeeeeeeeee-------tch.

You have to have a hardline rule though. Or else everyone will game it. I'm sure we can find a reason to play a "charity" game in Minneapolis this year, for example. That would be quite convenient.

Charity or not, it's hard for me to believe that no one would broach the topic with the UNC players that the charity game location is the same venue they'll play at in the ACCT.

Look, I can empathize with those affected by the Hurricane and the real need for assistance. I think this event should happen, but not for free. There's a somewhat low cost to making this happen for UNC, and instead of taking almost inarguably the high road here and canceling a closed door scrimmage to help those affected, Roy is whining about others not letting him do what he wants when he wants. I don't buy that. Cancel the dumb "secret" scrimmage and you're frankly beyond reproach.

Well, maybe beyond reproach everywhere except on this Board. Given it's UNC.

- Chillin

hudlow
10-10-2018, 02:03 PM

...or sell some shoes?

DevilYouKnow
10-10-2018, 02:25 PM
In the category of "Even a broken clock is right twice a day," I support Roy's position in this one case.

Kfanarmy
10-10-2018, 02:26 PM
The NCAA is perhaps the most tone deaf stupid a** organization I've ever encountered. They are obtuse. They are so bureaucratic. Clearly run by a bunch of academic bureaucrats with no understanding of the real world.

If it is any consolation, all the member institutions, well almost all, are run by academic bureaucrats as well. Can't expect the NCAA to have more common sense than the average PolySci prof.

arnie
10-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Would you consider it beneficial if we played Vanderbilt in a scrimmage before our opener with Kentucky (and Kentucky did not play an equivalent scrimmage).

devildeac
10-10-2018, 03:24 PM
You have to have a hardline rule though. Or else everyone will game it. I'm sure we can find a reason to play a "charity" game in Minneapolis this year, for example. That would be quite convenient.

Charity or not, it's hard for me to believe that no one would broach the topic with the UNC players that the charity game location is the same venue they'll play at in the ACCT.

Look, I can empathize with those affected by the Hurricane and the real need for assistance. I think this event should happen, but not for free. There's a somewhat low cost to making this happen for UNC, and instead of taking almost inarguably the high road here and canceling a closed door scrimmage to help those affected, Roy is whining about others not letting him do what he wants when he wants. I don't buy that. Cancel the dumb "secret" scrimmage and you're frankly beyond reproach.

Well, maybe beyond reproach everywhere except on this Board. Given it's UNC.

- Chillin

Beyond reproach? With ol roy and shoe-nc? Never. :p

DU82
10-10-2018, 09:20 PM
So, last year, the NCAA granted a number of waivers to allow for a third exhibition game for schools, with the proceeds going to hurricane relief charities.

At some point this spring or summer, the NCAA decided, and presumably told schools, that no waivers would be granted this year. Yet, Roy is dumbfounded and doesn’t understand why the NCAA won’t change their mind.

Well, Roy, if you were so concerned, you could have scheduled a charity game back when you set up your schedule. Or, you could cancel your closed scrimmage with Villanova (and Carolina could cancel theirs with VT) to play that charity game. But don’t act all huffy and righteous and say you don’t understand why they wouldn’t do what you wanted at the last moment. They told you back in the summer what the rules were.

westwall
10-10-2018, 10:10 PM
B: BUT MOSTLY: It's the principle. This is to me, not about UNC or Roy or any of that - this is about the NCAA being obtuse and bureaucratic Barney Fife's...kind of like their absurd ruling on State's player, Beverly I think his name was. Sometimes a written rule violates he very spirit of the notion it was designed to protect. In those cases, adults need to step in.t

I am still puzzled by your opening posts. You say you are "with Roy" on this, based on "principle" and "common sense"(how Barney Fife fits in here, either way, I don't understand). But you reason that "[s]ometimes a written rule violates the very spirit of the notion it was designed to protect". However, the NCAA'a 'written rule' clearly was designed to protect against an excessive or unfair number of scrimmages/exhibitions by one team. Therefore, it seems to me that the written rule upholds -- rather than violates -- the very purpose it was to designed to protect, and that your 'common sense' inadvertently misdirects the written rule to a very different -- albeit admirable -- purpose. Accordingly, isn't it clear that the NCAA's adherence to it's rule was consistent with the spirit of its underlying 'notion' and well justified, especially in view of the other charitable options open to UNC???

OldPhiKap
10-11-2018, 07:02 AM
I do find it humorous, after playing three games in Canada last month, that we are so indignant about UNC possibly playing an extra scrimmage.

Indoor66
10-11-2018, 07:36 AM
I do find it humorous, after playing three games in Canada last month, that we are so indignant about UNC possibly playing an extra scrimmage.

Apples and oranges. Ours were within the rules. The uncheat plan was not.

OldPhiKap
10-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Apples and oranges. Ours were within the rules. The uncheat plan was not.

Yeah, but if the rules allow one team to play two scrimmages and a foreign tour, while prohibiting another team from playing more than just two scrimmages, perhaps the rules are as founded in dumb as Roy is.

BD80
10-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Yeah, but if the rules allow one team to play two scrimmages and a foreign tour, while prohibiting another team from playing more than just two scrimmages, perhaps the rules are as founded in dumb as Roy is.

So ol' roy is so committed to this charitable act that he will forego the next foreign tour? Didn't think so.

OldPhiKap
10-11-2018, 08:22 AM
So ol' roy is so committed to this charitable act that he will forego the next foreign tour? Didn't think so.

In not defending [redacted]. But if we all agree that extra games are an advantage, why are teams periodically allowed to get an advantage over their competition?

sagegrouse
10-11-2018, 08:54 AM
In not defending Captain Dipshit. But if we all agree that extra games are an advantage, why are teams periodically allowed to get an advantage over their competition?

This has been fun, but .... The NCAA, kinda like the Federal Aviation Administration, the EPA and the Food Drug Administration has a bunch of rules --a thousand, maybe. They are all there for a reason. And, in the case of NCAA hoops, there are hundreds and hundreds of coaches testing every single one of them, looking for an advantage. Then, they howl publicly when they think they have a sensible case forbidden by the rules.

The NCAA was created to enforce rules written by the member schools. Which job do you want: Writing the rules? Or, enforcing the rules? I'll take the first.

devildeac
10-11-2018, 09:36 AM
In not defending Captain Dipshit. But if we all agree that extra games are an advantage, why are teams periodically allowed to get an advantage over their competition?

Rank? Maybe.

Nickname? Certainly.

LOL.

UrinalCake
10-11-2018, 09:40 AM

UNC also took a foreign tour to the Bahamas this season.

OldPhiKap
10-11-2018, 09:47 AM
UNC also took a foreign tour to the Bahamas this season.

Yeah, but that was for academic studies. Just ask 'em.

Troublemaker
10-11-2018, 09:53 AM

Because it evens out in the long run if every program is allowed a foreign tour every 4 years (or whatever the timespan is).

UNC should dump the closed scrimmage if they want to do the charity game.

Troublemaker
10-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Well I don't think of it as taking Roy's side...it's the side of logic and decency...or it's Frank Martin's side...or its the side of the Florence victims...all of that is on one side...only the pathetic NCAA, and some sort of sick mindset that bureaucratic rules are more important than common sense, is on the other side. It's not Roy's side, Roy just happens to be on the right side in this one.

One simple way to decrease bureaucracy is to enforce simple rules. You're allowed two games, period.

Think about it. Life is full of tragedies. Who gets to decide which tragedies are worthy of an exception to the rule and which aren't? Probably a bureaucrat or maybe even a committee of bureaucrats. Give in to UNC here, and the NCAA may just have to hire people to handle charity game requests from every NCAA program going forward who will look to take advantage of the exception.

UNC should ditch the closed scrimmage if they really want to do a charity game.

Wander
10-11-2018, 11:49 AM
One simple way to decrease bureaucracy is to enforce simple rules. You're allowed two games, period.

Think about it. Life is full of tragedies. Who gets to decide which tragedies are worthy of an exception to the rule and which aren't? Probably a bureaucrat or maybe even a committee of bureaucrats. Give in to UNC here, and the NCAA may just have to hire people to handle charity game requests from every NCAA program going forward who will look to take advantage of the exception.

UNC should ditch the closed scrimmage if they really want to do a charity game.

Good point – this IS the non-bureaucratic answer.

I feel similarly about transfers. Either every player sits out a year when they transfer, or nobody does. I don't really feel strongly which. Either way will upset some people as a hard rule, but the world will keep turning, and it makes everything less bureaucratic.

royalblue
10-11-2018, 12:44 PM
I guess it’s just “dumb” luck that the president of the Hornets is someone I believed has played at Deans SAC. I’m sure he is Very unbiased and would have no reason to want to give the light blue phantoms a game at the site of the 2019 ACC tourney.
The NCAA does have to keep a ceiling or a roof over the goings on to make sure rules are followed as I seem to remember some issues at this state “school” during the last 25 years

DukieInKansas
10-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Yeah, but that was for academic studies. Just ask 'em.

Their senior thesis - what I did on my summer vacation. (20 pages, double spaced, 24 point font)

OldPhiKap
10-11-2018, 01:02 PM
I guess it’s just “dumb” luck that the president of the Hornets is someone I believed has played at Deans SAC. I’m sure he is Very unbiased and would have no reason to want to give the light blue phantoms a game at the site of the 2019 ACC tourney.
The NCAA does have to keep a ceiling or a roof over the goings on to make sure rules are followed as I seem to remember some issues at this state “school” during the last 25 years

He played in Carmichael, not the Schnozz Center. But yeah, go figure.

The floor is the ceiling.

royalblue
10-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Silly error
Thanks for the correction

JasonEvans
10-11-2018, 02:00 PM
I think the correct punctuation is

"Roy remains dumb, found ed"

I have no idea who ed is and why he doesn't capitalize his name, but I tend to agree with his findings.

I just want to publicly thank House P for making me snarf milk out my nose every single time I look at the title of this thread. Great, great stuff!

lmb
10-11-2018, 02:04 PM

- Chillin

If they wanted to help they could follow the example of the Duke football team.
https://www.facebook.com/DukeFOOTBALL/videos/457594714729786/

dukie’s_daughter
10-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Apparently VT and Liberty have gotten permission to change a previously scheduled open practice in Lynchburg to a hurricane benefit. Good for them!