PDA

View Full Version : 2001: A Space Odyssey

Jim3k
10-05-2018, 03:50 AM
A new review, after the passage of 50 years (https://www.fastcompany.com/90246195/what-2001-a-space-odyssey-can-tell-us-about-life-in-2018).

The writer, a Dartmouth professor, has some great commentary. But, if you have never seen this classic, it does contain spoilers. So find a DVD from your public library (or stream it, if you can). Use the biggest and newest screen you can find. It was re-released earlier this year, but is probably no longer in theaters.

AI fans will find the film especially amazing.

OldPhiKap
10-05-2018, 07:24 AM
A new review, after the passage of 50 years (https://www.fastcompany.com/90246195/what-2001-a-space-odyssey-can-tell-us-about-life-in-2018).

The writer, a Dartmouth professor, has some great commentary. But, if you have never seen this classic, it does contain spoilers. So find a DVD from your public library (or stream it, if you can). Use the biggest and newest screen you can find. It was re-released earlier this year, but is probably no longer in theaters.

AI fans will find the film especially amazing.

I made my son (14) read the book first, so it would make more sense. He enjoyed both.

One of my favorite films, although some judicious editing near the end might be helpful. (Do not want to give spoilers, but I imagine you know that of which I speak). Otherwise, an absolute masterpiece.

CameronBornAndBred
10-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the link, Jim. 2001 is one of my favorite movies, and favorite books. It's one of those that I will watch on TV every time it is on, but I always encourage anyone to see it in the theater if they can.
The last time I saw it on a big screen as the early 90s in DC, on a HUGE screen. It was intense seeing that imagery on that scale. For as much as I love the movie though, I have never gotten to the end shots without saying to myself "WTF?". That long psychedelic trip scene is one of the most head scratching bizarre moments in cinema history.
If you are curious, here is Kubrick's own explanation for the ending. http://screencrush.com/2001-a-space-odyssey-ending-explained-by-stanley-kubrick/

PS-- Stay off Europa's lawn, kids!

JBDuke
10-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the link, Jim. 2001 is one of my favorite movies, and favorite books. It's one of those that I will watch on TV every time it is on, but I always encourage anyone to see it in the theater if they can.
The last time I saw it on a big screen as the early 90s in DC, on a HUGE screen. It was intense seeing that imagery on that scale. For as much as I love the movie though, I have never gotten to the end shots without saying to myself "WTF?". That long psychedelic trip scene is one of the most head scratching bizarre moments in cinema history.
If you are curious, here is Kubrick's own explanation for the ending. http://screencrush.com/2001-a-space-odyssey-ending-explained-by-stanley-kubrick/

PS-- Stay off Europa's lawn, kids!

Maybe at the Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park? I saw it there on a 70mm print in the late 90's. Maybe a 30th anniversary release? Saw details that I'd never seen before, like the people moving around inside the Moonbase during the lander sequence. Another one to see on the big screen if you get the chance is "Lawrence of Arabia". Just awesome in 70mm.

OldPhiKap
10-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Maybe at the Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park? I saw it there on a 70mm print in the late 90's. Maybe a 30th anniversary release? Saw details that I'd never seen before, like the people moving around inside the Moonbase during the lander sequence. Another one to see on the big screen if you get the chance is "Lawrence of Arabia". Just awesome in 70mm.

Just watched Lawrence this past weekend with SonPK, too. Forgot how good that movie is.

And a 14-year-old that can sit through 2001 and Lawrence is a rare thing these days. Not for those with short attention spans or the need for speed.

CameronBornAndBred
10-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Yes! It would have been '92 for me, pretty sure I was a senior in college or just graduated, and it was definitely Cleveland Park since the zoo is right there.
I've never seen LoA on any screen.

Tappan Zee Devil
10-05-2018, 06:11 PM
I actually met Arthur C. Clarke back in 1987.
I was one of the Co-Chief Scientists on the scientific drill ship Joides Resolution for a leg that put into Colombo and Clarke came down to visit the ship.
We showed him the cores and discussed the science, but what really fascinated him was the laserdisc player in the scientist's lounge. He had never seen one before. So, we put in a disc of 2001 - and had an amazing hour or so as he discussed making the film ("What Stanley and I were trying for in that scene was ...".
He also invited a bunch of us up to house for tea the next day, which was a real treat.

Did you know he was the Chancellor of Sri Lanka's main technical university?

OldPhiKap
10-05-2018, 06:24 PM
I was one of the Co-Chief Scientists on the scientific drill ship Joides Resolution for a leg that put into Colombo and Clarke came down to visit the ship.
We showed him the cores and discussed the science, but what really fascinated him was the laserdisc player in the scientist's lounge. He had never seen one before. So, we put in a disc of 2001 - and had an amazing hour or so as he discussed making the film ("What Stanley and I were trying for in that scene was ...".
He also invited a bunch of us up to house for tea the next day, which was a real treat.

Great story!

I knew he lived in Sri Lanka but did not know of his title/job.

jimsumner
10-05-2018, 07:05 PM

Cool story.

Did you get a selfie? Without a selfie, it's just your word. :)

JBDuke
10-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Just watched Lawrence this past weekend with SonPK, too. Forgot how good that movie is.

And a 14-year-old that can sit through 2001 and Lawrence is a rare thing these days. Not for those with short attention spans or the need for speed.

Yes! It would have been '92 for me, pretty sure I was a senior in college or just graduated, and it was definitely Cleveland Park since the zoo is right there.
I've never seen LoA on any screen.

Lawrence of Arabia was restored in 1989, with David Lean's participation, and then re-released into theaters in 70mm. I was working in Houston that summer and drove an hour across town to see it. It was a transformative experience for me as a movie fan, and really kicked off my interest in classic film. If you get a chance to see it on the big screen, it's definitely worth it.

I've been able to see Lawrence, 2001, Gone with the Wind, Spartacus, The Ten Commandments, The Sound of Music, and The Wizard of Oz on the big screen in different re-releases. The last two aren't really epics in the classic sense of the term, but they both had gorgeous cinematography and were great big-screen experiences.

The one I'm still looking for a chance to see is El Cid, but it's not as popular and so I may never get that chance.

Tappan Zee Devil
10-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Cool story.

In 1987?
Really?

I think I have a DSDP (Deep Sea Drilling Project) publicity photo in a drawer at the lab. I'll look tomorrow (or more likely on Monday) and scan and post it if I find it.

DukeHoo
10-06-2018, 07:02 AM
I recently saw 2001 at the AFI Silver in Silver Spring, MD, which was a real treat (since they also had it in 70 mm projection). They did special showings for both a Kubrick film festival (where I also saw Doctor Strangelove) and 2001's 50th anniversary. I'd always enjoyed the movie (it was one of my favorite sci fi films even when I had only seen it on the tiny TV in my parents basement), but watching it in 70 mm was a transcendent experience.

camion
10-06-2018, 08:52 AM
The only time I have seen 2001 in its entirety was in the spring/summer of 1968. The movie was incredible for that time, but just as important was the fact that it marked the first road trip for me with my brother and his friends from little Maiden, NC to the big city of Charlotte in his newly purchased (used) Plymouth Valiant with push button transmission.

Think about it: 2001, road trip with brother and older friends, new(ish) car. So cool :)

The things remember most from that experience are zero gravity scenes and push button transmission.

Tappan Zee Devil
10-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Cool story.

I know you are teasing about the selfie, Jim - but we aim to please

Arthur C. Clarke discussing sediment cores with (a much younger) TZD

CameronBornAndBred
10-06-2018, 10:38 AM
I always wished they had made Rendezvous With Rama into a movie.

sagegrouse
10-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Holy sea cow!! Tappan Zee Devil, you sly rascal!! This story has to be memorialized in the archives of DBR. Can you recall other things said by the great man?

sagegrouse
10-06-2018, 11:50 AM
I recently saw 2001 at the AFI Silver in Silver Spring, MD, which was a real treat (since they also had it in 70 mm projection). They did special showings for both a Kubrick film festival (where I also saw Doctor Strangelove) and 2001's 50th anniversary. I'd always enjoyed the movie (it was one of my favorite sci fi films even when I had only seen it on the tiny TV in my parents basement), but watching it in 70 mm was a transcendent experience.

I have often mused that, if there were admission requirements to post on DBR, it should include viewing of both Doctor Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb and Animal House. Doubtless there would be other suggestions from the board on required viewing (Hoosiers?) before being allowed to post.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'Yes, I know I am dating myself with these suggestions, but I did go to work at the real-world version of the Bland Corporation (RAND in Santa Monica) a few years after the movie came out'

OldPhiKap
10-06-2018, 11:55 AM
I have often mused that, if there were admission requirements to post on DBR, it should include viewing of both Doctor Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb and Animal House. Doubtless there would be other suggestions from the board on required viewing before being allowed to post.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'Yes, I know I am dating myself, but I did go to work at the real-world version of the Bland Corporation (RAND in Santa Monica) a few years after the movie came out'

George C. Scott was once asked what his favorite role was. Everyone assumed he would say Patton.

Scott said it was General Buck Turgidson.

JasonEvans
10-06-2018, 01:22 PM
I have often mused that, if there were admission requirements to post on DBR, it should include viewing of both Doctor Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb and Animal House. Doubtless there would be other suggestions from the board on required viewing (Hoosiers?) before being allowed to post.

I think The Princess Bride and Airplane would also be up there too. Hardly a week goes by without someone saying "Inconceivable!" or "I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley."

moonpie23
10-06-2018, 01:49 PM
The Princess Bride

possibly the best screenplay ever...

jimsumner
10-06-2018, 02:17 PM
I know you are teasing about the selfie, Jim - but we aim to please

Arthur C. Clarke discussing sediment cores with (a much younger) TZD

Woo hoo!!!

You da man.

That would be at the top of my resume/vita/Facebook page, whatever.

Childhood's End might be my favorite Science Fiction book.

"Any sufficiently advanced form of technology is indistinguishable from magic."

A. Clarke.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-06-2018, 04:49 PM
One of the really cool uses of the theme song.......and this really is cool. I've seen it in person a number of times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaLHrbhdvcA

WV_Iron_Duke
10-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Note the flat screen video-tv screens...