PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 28, Georgia Tech 14

awhom111
10-03-2018, 09:46 PM
I know that Saturday was a disappointment, but we did not even have a thread announcing a time for this one.

The affiliate list is out, so I thought it would be good to get the thread started so that people can see where to watch the game locally:
http://theacc.com/sports/2018/9/5/acc-network-on-raycom-sports-2018-10-13.aspx

Some of the other details, like the blackout map, will come out next week, but as usual the ACC website will stream the game for everyone with no restrictions.

OldPhiKap
10-03-2018, 10:03 PM
It’s GT’s homecoming according to the tickets.

Reilly
10-03-2018, 10:08 PM
GT favored by 4.5 against L'ville Fri nite.

devildeac
10-03-2018, 10:18 PM

Credit to Bob Green with a set up from PSurprise on the OTB for this one (although Bob posted a different photo of PJ).

duke2x
10-06-2018, 01:08 AM
GT beat Louisville tonight by the score of 66-31. They are scoring in bunches and giving up points in bunches so far this year (41-34 average score against FBS).

ehdg
10-06-2018, 01:45 PM
GT ran all over Louisville with their option running. We need to defend their option run big time for any chance of winning!

jimsumner
10-06-2018, 02:22 PM
66 points, on the road, against an ACC team.

That'll get your attention.

peloton
10-07-2018, 01:45 PM
That'll get your attention.

I certainly hope so, Jim. I would love to see a Duke team come out in Atlanta fired up after underperforming against the Hokies. How we respond is largely (in my opinion) up to the coaching staff and captains of this team. I trust they'll ensure that the guys are duly motivated...as you imply, they better be.

Reilly
10-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Spread? (In the DBR fashion of asking questions that I could find out myself via Google.)

tteettimes
10-07-2018, 07:38 PM
GT fav 2 1/2.....early line

duke2x
10-08-2018, 12:20 AM
GT fav 2 1/2...early line

Sagarin puts GT -1.
Massey's predictor has Duke winning 58% of the time by a 31-28 score but picks GT in the best of X series routinely.

Human predictions are for the end of the week.

CameronBornAndBred
10-08-2018, 12:58 AM
I'm guessing that Duke gets a 6 day hold when game times come out today. TV folks will want to see how we do against GT before they decide to put us and Pitt at noon or afternoon/night.

devildeac
10-08-2018, 07:04 AM
I'm guessing that Duke gets a 6 day hold when game times come out today. TV folks will want to see how we do against GT before they decide to put us and Pitt at noon or afternoon/night.

We play UVA at home on 10/20 before we play Pitt on 10/27 :D.

We'll have the noon or 330 PM slot on 10/20 as #20 NCSU plays #4 Clemson on 10/20 and I'm guessing they get the 700 PM kick-off.

Reilly
10-08-2018, 07:26 AM

We'll have the noon or 330 PM slot on 10/20 as #20 NCSU plays #4 Clemson on 10/20 and I'm guessing they get the 700 PM kick-off.

I would appreciate informed speculation about 10/20 and 10/27 start times. I'm not sure what the ACC is guaranteed.

Saturday, Oct. 20
NC State at Clemson
Virginia at Duke
Wake Forest at Florida State
North Carolina at Syracuse

Thursday, Oct. 25
Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech ................. 7:30 p.m., ESPN

Friday, Oct. 26
Miami at Boston College .............................. 7 p.m., ESPN

Saturday, Oct. 27
Clemson at Florida State
Duke at Pitt
Wake Forest at Louisville
North Carolina at Virginia
NC State at Syracuse

budwom
10-08-2018, 08:11 AM
I strongly suspect we're relegated to noon again for awhile until we show we're ready for better exposure. Would love to win two of the next three (GT, UVA, Pitt) to get us to six wins.
Clemmons and Miami will be arduous games...

Acymetric
10-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Yeah, we're definitely noon against UVA (unless we end up ESPN3 only, in which case I guess we would get 3:30). I could see the 27th being the Raycom special.

duke2x
10-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Yeah, we're definitely noon against UVA (unless we end up ESPN3 only, in which case I guess we would get 3:30). I could see the 27th being the Raycom special.

I'll go further with educated speculation. The least popular two ACC games always go to Raycom and Fox Sports South respectively. A rule of thumb is to avoid the same network and time slot two weeks in a row. Raycom also tries to avoid visiting a campus more than 1 time per season in the current ACC. Thus, I think we get the Fox Sports South noon spot given those 4 games and the UNC game in November.

When you have more than 4 games, it depends on how many ESPN wants to pick up. We could be ESPN-U for Pitt, particularly if both teams win this weekend, because UNC-UVA and Wake-Louisville aren't going to be national draws this year.

CameronBornAndBred
10-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Got em backwards, and we got a nooner anyway. Ugh

devildeac
10-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Got em backwards, and we got a nooner anyway. Ugh

Getting my breakfast stout/s ready to pair with your French toast, bacon/sausage and eggs for that AM tailgate ;).

sagegrouse
10-08-2018, 12:12 PM
I'll go further with educated speculation. The least popular two ACC games always go to Raycom and Fox Sports South respectively. A rule of thumb is to avoid the same network and time slot two weeks in a row. Raycom also tries to avoid visiting a campus more than 1 time per season in the current ACC. Thus, I think we get the Fox Sports South noon spot given those 4 games and the UNC game in November.

When you have more than 4 games, it depends on how many ESPN wants to pick up. We could be ESPN-U for Pitt, particularly if both teams win this weekend, because UNC-UVA and Wake-Louisville aren't going to be national draws this year.

Denver channel 20 (a virtual station linked to NBC-9) often carries ACC football games out here and can be picked up on DirecTV or cable. This helps make up for the seeming preference of the Denver stations to show the despised (by me) Dallas Cowboys as the early Sunday game.

Jim3k
10-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Do we have Cerenord back?

Bob Green
10-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Do we have Cerenord back?

That is still an unknown. There will not be any specific injury information available until the end of the week leading up to game time.

brevity
10-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Georgia Tech has a lot of interesting vintage home football programs that are easily searchable over the Internet, and I found some of them on Duke's site (https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dfp?_=1537838589818&f%5Bcategory_facet_sim%5D%5B%5D=Georgia+Tech).

It was Homecoming on Halloween in 1959, and Georgia Tech was 5-1 and ranked 9th in the polls. Duke came to Grant Field and beat them 10-7.

sagegrouse
10-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Georgia Tech has a lot of interesting vintage home football programs that are easily searchable over the Internet, and I found some of them on Duke's site (https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dfp?_=1537838589818&f%5Bcategory_facet_sim%5D%5B%5D=Georgia+Tech).

It was Homecoming on Halloween in 1959, and Georgia Tech was 5-1 and ranked 9th in the polls. Duke came to Grant Field and beat them 10-7.

When I was a "yoot,"* the Duke-Georgia Tech game was the #1 game in the South.

Kindly,
Sage
* Thanks, Bobby Cremins, for making it hard to forget your accent and to the Three Stooges for making me call the color "poiple."

HereBeforeCoachK
10-08-2018, 07:27 PM
When I was a "yoot,"* the Duke-Georgia Tech game was the #1 game in the South.

Kindly,
Sage
* Thanks, Bobby Cremins, for making it hard to forget your accent and to the Three Stooges for making me call the color "poiple."

That probably goes back to the days when Duke and Maryland played in something called The Oyster Bowl, which I think was in Norfolk.

Indoor66
10-08-2018, 08:12 PM
That probably goes back to the days when Duke and Maryland played in something called The Oyster Bowl, which I think was in Norfolk.

A Pearl of a game.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-08-2018, 08:45 PM
A Pearl of a game.

"....we don't drink, cuss or smoke....norfolk....norfulk...."

budwom
10-09-2018, 08:08 AM

Duke played Merlin, Navy and Virginia Tech at various times in the aforementioned, decrepit Oyster Bowl.

Indoor66
10-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Duke played Merlin, Navy and Virginia Tech at various times in the aforementioned, decrepit Oyster Bowl.

Gotta love them Pearls.

ehdg
10-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Wow that must have been some Trick or Treat for them!!! LOL

DukieInKansas
10-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Denver channel 20 (a virtual station linked to NBC-9) often carries ACC football games out here and can be picked up on DirecTV or cable. This helps make up for the seeming preference of the Denver stations to show the despised (by me) Dallas Cowboys as the early Sunday game.

Don't feel alone - you are not the only one who despises the Cowboys.

Bob Green
10-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Coach Cutcliffe press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6292554

1. Commented on how high of level Georgia Tech is playing in recent games.
2. Stated Duke was healthier with the caveat you are never as healthy as you desire to be.
3. When asked if updates were available on specific players responded "no, not yet."
4. Was asked about running back position and needing three backs in the rotation and responded Mataeo Durant is getting lots of reps in practice.
5. Commented on Daniel Jones looking really good in practice.

There is more in there so give it a listen...

chrishoke
10-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Coach Cutcliffe press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6292554

1. Commented on how high of level Georgia Tech is playing in recent games.
2. Stated Duke was healthier with the caveat you are never as healthy as you desire to be.
3. When asked if updates were available on specific players responded "no, not yet."
4. Was asked about running back position and needing three backs in the rotation and responded Mataeo Durant is getting lots of reps in practice.
5. Commented on Daniel Jones looking really good in practice.

There is more in there so give it a listen...

I was surprised no one asked about Daniel and the lack of zone read plays and whether that might change against GT. It sure hurt us last game.

Bob Green
10-10-2018, 04:51 AM
Jim Sumner with a look at the Duke-Georgia Tech Rivalry:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/10/17954184/the-duke-georgia-tech-rivalry-is-better-than-you-think-acc-football

The Blue Devils and Yellow Jackets first met in 1933 and haven’t missed a season since then, a pretty long run for two schools that aren’t in the same state and weren’t in the same conference until 1979.

budwom
10-10-2018, 09:41 AM
With the Cone of Silence fully geared up regarding injury, not sure what to think about the depth chart not showing Carter at CB, but showing Cerenord as starting DT.
I suspect it means little....we'll know when we see.
Points must be scored on Saturday...

swiseman
10-10-2018, 11:56 AM
With the Cone of Silence fully geared up regarding injury, not sure what to think about the depth chart not showing Carter at CB, but showing Cerenord as starting DT.
I suspect it means little...we'll know when we see.
Points must be scored on Saturday...

My understanding is Carter and Cerenord have worked with the 1s in practice this week. They've made progress.

devildeac
10-10-2018, 12:18 PM
My understanding is Carter and Cerenord have worked with the 1s in practice this week. They've made progress.

Good info to learn. Thanks!

You forgot to link your article in the N&O this AM about your analysis of the first 5 games and the next 7 games of the season ;).

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article219666470.html

jimsumner
10-10-2018, 12:18 PM

Harmon has also practiced some. Still wouldn't be surprised to see Wohlabaugh start.

Young is a big wildcard.

Pghdukie
10-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Are there any alternate game plans being devised due to Hurricane Mike ?

OldPhiKap
10-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Are there any alternate game plans being devised due to Hurricane Mike ?

Big Mike is headed pretty well east of Atlanta and will be out of Georgia by tomorrow night. I don't think they expect a big impact in the ATL.

East Georgia where I am, however, is gonna get hammered. Southwest Georgia even more so.

swiseman
10-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Big Mike is headed pretty well east of Atlanta and will be out of Georgia by tomorrow night. I don't think they expect a big impact in the ATL.

East Georgia where I am, however, is gonna get hammered. Southwest Georgia even more so.

Godspeed

OldPhiKap
10-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Godspeed

Thanks, Steve.

You'll know I made it through if you see a guy in an Animal House "Eat Me" cake outfit in the Duke section at Bobby Dodd. It's kind of a long story . . . .

swiseman
10-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Thanks, Steve.

You'll know I made it through if you see a guy in an Animal House "Eat Me" cake outfit in the Duke section at Bobby Dodd. It's kind of a long story . . . .

I'll be sure to look for you then!

Pghdukie
10-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Steve.

Will you be wind swept like the Weather Channel reporter for Hurricane Florence

Bob Green
10-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Young is a big wildcard.

Hamstring injuries tend to linger; however, Young must have incurred a severe pull seeing as he hurt it ~ six weeks ago. It would be a big positive to get him back in action if he is ready.

budwom
10-10-2018, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the info, Steve..I do have to say though the statement is Cutcliffian...working with the 1s is a good thing for sure, but not necessarily indicative of a guy who will play. Fingers crossed...

Bob Green
10-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Jim Sumner's Football Notes:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/10/17958550/duke-football-notes-acc-david-cutcliffe

Duke switches from a 4-2-5 to a 4-3-4 when they play Georgia Tech. Look for Koby Quansah to get a start at linebacker, alongside Humphreys and Joe Giles-Harris.

In typical Sumner fashion, the article is full of information so give it a read and discuss.

devildeac
10-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Jim Sumner's Football Notes:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/10/17958550/duke-football-notes-acc-david-cutcliffe

In typical Sumner fashion, the article is full of information so give it a read and discuss.

Ok, Bob, you're going to have to help us here. Outside of Giles-Harris, Humphreys and Quansah, I see very few names with LB after their names on the roster that I recognize. Who else sees action on Saturday? Hill? Morgenstern? Gagnon?

Bob Green
10-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Who else sees action on Saturday? Hill? Morgenstern? Gagnon?

Brandon Hill (#32) is next up in the rotation. Marquis Waters (#10) who plays safety saw action at LB against Georgia Tech last season. He had nine tackles in the game.

devildeac
10-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Brandon Hill (#32) is next up in the rotation. Marquis Waters (#10) who plays safety saw action at LB against Georgia Tech last season. He had nine tackles in the game.

Excellent. Thanks! I'll be looking for those 2 guys if we're able to watch the game as we'll be in Ohio on Saturday and that feed may not be available.

DU82
10-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Excellent. Thanks! I'll be looking for those 2 guys if we're able to watch the game as we'll be in Ohio on Saturday and that feed may not be available.

awhom111 is our resident expert on broadcasts (and a whole host of other things!) but I believe if you’re outside the specific regional sports net areas, you’ll be able to watch online at the ACC Network/ESPN3

awhom111
10-10-2018, 09:44 PM
awhom111 is our resident expert on broadcasts (and a whole host of other things!) but I believe if you’re outside the specific regional sports net areas, you’ll be able to watch online at the ACC Network/ESPN3

This broadcast version's online feed is available everywhere, even in other countries apparently:
http://www.theacc.com/watch/?id=147931

DD might still be in TV luck if he's in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, or Youngstown though.

Maps and ESPN College Extra channel assignments are still not available.

devildeac
10-10-2018, 10:31 PM

This broadcast version's online feed is available everywhere, even in other countries apparently:

DD might still be in TV luck if he's in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, or Youngstown though.

Thanks! We'll be in Cuyahoga Falls for a baby shower and the grandfathers-to-be and the father-to-be (our son) maaaaaaay be looking for something to do between 1200 and 1530 hours, but only if tOSU is not playing at the same time. :rolleyes:

cato
10-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Ok, Bob, you're going to have to help us here. Outside of Giles-Harris, Humphreys and Quansah, I see very few names with LB after their names on the roster that I recognize. Who else sees action on Saturday? Hill? Morgenstern? Gagnon?

Ruh ro. Per Steve Wiseman, Quansah out, potentially for the season:

Junior linebacker Koby Quansah suffered a foot injury in practice on Wednesday that will require surgery. His availability for the rest of this season in now question.

ETA: http://bit.ly/2CEvUhu

Bob Green
10-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Part II of Jim's Duke-Georgia Tech Rivalry article is posted on the main page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/11/17958544/the-duke-georgia-tech-rivalry-is-better-than-you-think-part-ii-blue-devils-football

Duke has won three of the last four, a measure of success not seen in this rivalry since Spurrier was on the Duke sideline.

One of the oldest rivalries in the mid-south is back on.

budwom
10-11-2018, 03:22 PM

ETA: http://bit.ly/2CEvUhu

ack, that is bad...the only good thing is the Humphreys and Giles-Harris often play just about every snap...as mentioned earlier, Waters is perfect for a game like GT...

Bob Green
10-11-2018, 03:38 PM

The hits keep coming...

Next man up: Brandon Hill.

swiseman
10-11-2018, 03:39 PM
ack, that is bad...the only good thing is the Humphreys and Giles-Harris often play just about every snap...as mentioned earlier, Waters is perfect for a game like GT...

Waters and Singleton will be heavily involved in the game plan. Chris Rumph has played well this season. Quansah is good enough to start for many ACC teams so his loss is significant. But Rumph looks pretty good too.

I think Quansah will come back at some point this season. I mean, look at what they did for Daniel Jones. But we won't know about Koby until some time passes. He's certainly out for the foreseeable future

HereBeforeCoachK
10-11-2018, 05:03 PM
The hits keep coming...

Is it just me, or does Duke have an extremely high rate of practice related injuries.....? Going back several years, sure seems the Duke practice field is the most dangerous place for these guys.

jimsumner
10-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Bad news on Quansah. Duke plays a 4-3 against GT and Quansah was due to start.

Duke has two freshmen linebackers, Rocky Shelton and Shaka Heyward. Neither has played yet. But they should both be pretty good down the line.

Is now down the line? Under the new redshirt rules, Duke could play one for four games, then the other for four games, and still redshirt both.

Are either or both better options at this point that players like Xander Gagnon or Jacob Morgenstern?

Darned if I know. But I suspect Duke is pondering this question.

rtnorthrup
10-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Bad news on Quansah. Duke plays a 4-3 against GT and Quansah was due to start.

Duke has two freshmen linebackers, Rocky Shelton and Shaka Heyward. Neither has played yet. But they should both be pretty good down the line.

Is now down the line? Under the new redshirt rules, Duke could play one for four games, then the other for four games, and still redshirt both.

Are either or both better options at this point that players like Xander Gagnon or Jacob Morgenstern?

Darned if I know. But I suspect Duke is pondering this question.

I really liked Shelton's high school film, but this seems a big ask for a true freshman.

Pghdukie
10-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Thanks to each and everyone of you for the updates and very informative viewpoints. An outstanding group of "reporters". Again, Thank You.

awhom111
10-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Here is all the viewing info in one post:

TV stations carrying game:

Web broadcast (available freely and without restrictions):

Blackout map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3450218.jpg

Options based on location:

Black:
-On TV on station from list linked above
-Online via link provided above

Green:
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (may now only be available on DirecTV and Verizon FIOS)
-Online via ACC Network Extra portion of WatchESPN

devildeac
10-11-2018, 11:01 PM
The hits keep coming...

I'd put a helmet, pads, pants, a jersey and cleats on Zion.

(Kidding. Mostly.)

HK Dukie
10-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Daniel Jones goes #9 overall and #1QB off the board to the Giants in next year's NFL Draft?

CBSsports thinks so and put it as the lead article on CBSsports.com

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-take-a-sleeper-as-first-qb-off-the-board-replace-eli-manning/

HereBeforeCoachK
10-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Daniel Jones goes #9 overall and #1QB off the board to the Giants in next year's NFL Draft?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-take-a-sleeper-as-first-qb-off-the-board-replace-eli-manning/

I don't see it happening. I just don't. A case can be made that 3 other QBs in the ACC are better. I would love nothing better than for DJ to prove me wrong....but.....

Scorp4me
10-12-2018, 02:03 PM

Don't get me wrong I like the kid but...based on what??? His first season was a trial by fire, his second was marred by an injury (as reported after the season) and his third has been also limited by injury. I'd rather see the results than the continued hype. Hope he has the chance to finally show it!

Banana
10-12-2018, 02:16 PM
My updated unofficial Depth Chart for the Georgia Tech game is attached. 8713 I have not had the time to add any defensive statistics other than tackles.

Coach Cut has indicated that Mateo Durant will get playing time vs Georgia Tech in place of the injured Marvin Hubbard.

Edgar Cerenord and Michael Carter are apparently practicing with the first team, so I suspect they will be back against Georgia Tech, and I am hoping Aaron Young and Zach Harmon will be back, too. Chris Rumph is supposed to play the 3rd LB position that Koby Quansah was to have played against Georgia Tech's option attack before Koby broke his fifth metatarsal. Since Rumph is undersized for a DE at 225 pounds, I would not be surprised if continues to get LB snaps in future games if he has decent coverage skills, which may be a big "if". I cannot figure where to play Jeremy McDuffie, since he is listed as a 2nd team CB and 3rd team safety on the official depth chart. If Carter is back, I suspect McDuffie will really play as a 2nd team CB.

budwom
10-12-2018, 02:17 PM
I don't see it happening. I just don't. A case can be made that 3 other QBs in the ACC are better. I would love nothing better than for DJ to prove me wrong...but....

I 100% agree. Great kid, hoping he has a terrific year, but he has SO much more to prove before he can be discussed as a high draft choice next year. Very inconsistent on long throws (there does seem to be some improvement), touch is often off on some of the shorter throws...spectacularly premature speculation at this point...

swiseman
10-12-2018, 02:33 PM
I don't see it happening. I just don't. A case can be made that 3 other QBs in the ACC are better. I would love nothing better than for DJ to prove me wrong...but....

I agree that such a case can be made. The counter is that Jones is younger than, say, Ryan Finley. DJ is toolsy, as they say. Built like an NFL QB with an NFL arm. Plus Finley, while good and certainly a future NFL QB, is playing with higher-quality receivers. Scouts see that. So while Finley may look better statistically, scouts probably have a different view of DJ.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2018, 03:08 PM
My fondest wish is that Daniel has the type of finish that merits such a high draft pick.

Let's start tomorrow!

duke79
10-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Here is all the viewing info in one post:

TV stations carrying game:

Web broadcast (available freely and without restrictions):

Blackout map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3450218.jpg

Options based on location:

Black:

Green:
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (may now only be available on DirecTV and Verizon FIOS)
-Online via ACC Network Extra portion of WatchESPN

It's on Ch. 51 on the DISH Network.

duke79
10-12-2018, 03:25 PM
I 100% agree. Great kid, hoping he has a terrific year, but he has SO much more to prove before he can be discussed as a high draft choice next year. Very inconsistent on long throws (there does seem to be some improvement), touch is often off on some of the shorter throws...spectacularly premature speculation at this point...

Totally agree with this analysis! DJ has a lot of raw talent but still need substantial "refining" before he is ready for the NFL. If anyone can do it, it should be Coach Cut.

Bob Green
10-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Steve Wiseman previews Duke for the AJC:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/questions-with-duke-beat-writer/9qEOIxchHWdwrGn7abh9UL/

Whenever it comes time to play an option team, Cutcliffe always mentions all the games his staff has coached against Army, Navy and Georgia Tech and says it's a strength. As we saw last weekend at Louisville, a staff that's not as familiar coaching against the option can be exploited and made to look very bad. Duke won't be in that situation.

rtnorthrup
10-12-2018, 03:53 PM
My updated unofficial Depth Chart for the Georgia Tech game is attached. 8713 I have not had the time to add any defensive statistics other than tackles.

Coach Cut has indicated that Mateo Durant will get playing time vs Georgia Tech in place of the injured Marvin Hubbard.

Edgar Cerenord and Michael Carter are apparently practicing with the first team, so I suspect they will be back against Georgia Tech, and I am hoping Aaron Young and Zach Harmon will be back, too. Chris Rumph is supposed to play the 3rd LB position that Koby Quansah was to have played against Georgia Tech's option attack before Koby broke his fifth metatarsal. Since Rumph is undersized for a DE at 225 pounds, I would not be surprised if continues to get LB snaps in future games if he has decent coverage skills, which may be a big "if". I cannot figure where to play Jeremy McDuffie, since he is listed as a 2nd team CB and 3rd team safety on the official depth chart. If Carter is back, I suspect McDuffie will really play as a 2nd team CB.

Fantastic stuff. Rumph is an interesting one. Per my admittedly faulty memory, his dad was a Def. Coach (Def. Coord?) for the Florida Gators, but he wasn't heavily recruited. He is a prototypical 3-4 OLB, or the new generation of pure pass edge rushers. He looked pretty good in earlier games this season and I remember thinking I was a bit surprised to see him play so early in his career. Thought he may be a little more of a developmental project, but don't ever underestimate coaches kids. Especially with Cut. It would be interesting to see us line up in a 5-2 defense. Personally I think it might even confuse Tech's blocking assignments. Humphries and Giles-Harris are used to playing in a 2 man LB unit. Plus our safeties are very solid in the run game.

If he is even close to healthy, McDuffie will play. His speed is a huge asset against the Tech scheme. Tech always seems to hit us with "explosive plays". Look for them to run a number of "trick" plays involving misdirection, and or exotic formations. You almost have to play them man-to-man on the outside, which can leave you open on the back end. I think McDuffie's recovery speed will be important for us. Neither Blackwell nor Hudzick have looked comfortable in man coverage so far.

Bob Green
10-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Some Georgia Tech articles from the AJC:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-tech-may-missing-starter-for-duke/52h5GqFxmcHxOkN3rm9o6J/

“We’re not very healthy,” coach Paul Johnson said Wednesday in his final media availability of the week.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/things-know-before-georgia-tech-duke/5IYEOnsVRusmhni5raQ88J/

“They’re really, really good defensively,” coach Paul Johnson said. “They run to the ball, play hard.”

budwom
10-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Interesting that Rumph could play the third quasi LB spot vs Tech (I like him as a pass rushing DE against most other teams)...I would still guess we'll see a lot of Waters there, because he's a superb tackler, and quick.

Very pleasant to have a decent defense these days, somewhat disorienting in fact. I remember so many horrific defensive performances over the years....one in particular vs Virginia, who led 28-0 after the first quarter, sourpuss George Welsh commenting after the game "I can't help it if they can't tackle."

Also recall a drubbing at GT (TV game, Thursday night), also something like 28-0 after a quarter.

Hoping for a good effort tomorrow, still concerned about the all important middle if Cerenord can't play, which I think is still a distinct possibility...

Reilly
10-12-2018, 04:43 PM
... Rumph ... Per my admittedly faulty memory, his dad was a Def. Coach (Def. Coord?) for the Florida Gators ...

His dad works for the big boys -- with stops at Clemson, Alabama, Texas, Florida ... now Tennessee: https://utsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=3127&path=football

No doubt the greatest thing he's ever seen on a football field came as a South Carolina frosh in 1991, when Duke scored two late TDs improbably to end up with a tie against the Gamecocks.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-12-2018, 05:33 PM
I agree that such a case can be made. The counter is that Jones is younger than, say, Ryan Finley. DJ is toolsy, as they say. Built like an NFL QB with an NFL arm. Plus Finley, while good and certainly a future NFL QB, is playing with higher-quality receivers. Scouts see that. So while Finley may look better statistically, scouts probably have a different view of DJ.

I agree with your notion of a counter argument, and no doubt, Finley's receivers are much better than Duke's. Finley may have the best group in the country in fact. But I'd like to be able to say for sure that DJ is the best deep passer on Duke....and at this point, I don't think we can say that definitively. Best over all passer and over all QB for sure....

OldPhiKap
10-12-2018, 06:53 PM
But I'd like to be able to say for sure that DJ is the best deep passer on Duke...and at this point, I don't think we can say that definitively. Best over all passer and over all QB for sure...

Isn’t best overall passer and best overall QB who you want on the field?

Not sure what you are getting at.

rtnorthrup
10-12-2018, 08:26 PM
His dad works for the big boys -- with stops at Clemson, Alabama, Texas, Florida ... now Tennessee: https://utsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=3127&path=football

No doubt the greatest thing he's ever seen on a football field came as a South Carolina frosh in 1991, when Duke scored two late TDs improbably to end up with a tie against the Gamecocks.

My soph year at Duke, I remember listening to that game on the radio in the dorm.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Isn’t best overall passer and best overall QB who you want on the field?

Not sure what you are getting at.

What I'm getting at is very simple.....which is that while he deserves to start and play at Duke because he's the best QB at Duke, and while I said nothing about taking him off the field at Duke....if he were really close to NFL ready, I don't think the second string QB would have something like 3 of the best 4 deep balls thrown at Duke this season (and I"m counting that long fade from Q for a TD as a long pass because it's trajectory was that of a bomb).

And as I also said, I would be thrilled for him to prove me wrong...thrilled! But man, I see so many QBs putting up 350 yards and 45 points plus every week.....or so it seems....

OldPhiKap
10-12-2018, 08:39 PM
If anyone else is going to the game, PM me. I’m stopping at the Varsity before the game and will smuggle about twenty orders of onion rings into the stadium.

As long as you don’t ask questions or think about it too much — they’ll be hot and crispy.

Jim3k
10-13-2018, 01:38 AM

KOFY-TV. 9:30 -- Channel 20 on most systems for the SF Bay Area

(Didn't check the rest of the thread so don't know if anyone else posted this.)

OldPhiKap
10-13-2018, 06:22 AM
Game day, woot!

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 06:53 AM
Against FBS competition, Duke is averaging 27.25 points per game. I believe it will take more points than that to beat Georgia Tech today. While predictions are a waste of time, they are a lot of fun:

Duke 31, Georgia Tech 28

budwom
10-13-2018, 07:57 AM
If anyone else is going to the game, PM me. I’m stopping at the Varsity before the game and will smuggle about twenty orders of onion rings into the stadium.

As long as you don’t ask questions or think about it too much — they’ll be hot and crispy.

I"ll be able to sniff out your location as far away as Vermont I would imagine...

Sixthman
10-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Against FBS competition, Duke is averaging 27.25 points per game. I believe it will take more points than that to beat Georgia Tech today. While predictions are a waste of time, they are a lot of fun:

Duke 31, Georgia Tech 28

You have to play great defense to defeat a good or better option team. As important as a disciplined team of good tackling defenders (with a little depth of that side of the ball) is to a win, I think you can play great on defense against an option team and still lose. The defense needs some help from its own offense, either in the form of an early lead -- which would knock Ga Tech a little off its game, or some long offensive possessions for Duke, which will give the Defense some sideline time and turn a game above thirty into a game below thirty.

My problem in predicting this game is that I literally know nothing about Tech's defense. My best guess is that they went to school on the Virginia Tech tapes and Duke's offense will get the chance to fix what they could not overcome last time out.

budwom
10-13-2018, 08:59 AM
^ if GT can get great pressure on Jones with only a 3-4 man rush (a la VT), we're in for a long day. Let's hope they can't.

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 09:05 AM
The defense needs some help from its own offense, either in the form of an early lead -- which would knock Ga Tech a little off its game, or some long offensive possessions for Duke, which will give the Defense some sideline time and turn a game above thirty into a game below thirty.

The offense definitely needs to click today to apply pressure on Georgia Tech, which is why I believe we need to score more points than the 27.25 we have averaged to date (I dismiss the NCCU game stats). We will need some explosive plays which were totally missing in the loss to VT.

GT has been turnover prone so the defense needs to come up with some hard hits that jar the ball loose.

First and foremost, the defense has to stop the B-Back Dive play. Hopefully Edgar Cerenord is healthy to play as we need him in the center of the line.

duke2x
10-13-2018, 09:23 AM
My problem in predicting this game is that I literally know nothing about Tech's defense. My best guess is that they went to school on the Virginia Tech tapes and Duke's offense will get the chance to fix what they could not overcome last time out.

GT's defense is bad. This is a tossup, but I think we have to score a lot to win.

Duke--38
GT----31

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2018, 09:30 AM
GT's defense is bad. This is a tossup, but I think we have to score a lot to win.

Duke--38
GT----31

I think you're right. I believe that Tech made a QB change two games ago, and in those games, they are averaging 65 points in those two games. Thus, their 1-3 start is kind of irrelevant now.

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 09:39 AM
...I believe that Tech made a QB change two games ago...

TaQuon Marshall has started at QB every game this season. No QB change took place for the Yellow Jackets.

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 09:41 AM
Brett Friedlander article with some nice words about the Duke run defense:

http://nsjonline.com/article/2018/10/five-questions-to-ponder-before-kickoff-18/

For the season, Duke is allowing an average of just 122.8 rushing yards. Although scheme has something to do with that, it also doesn’t hurt that it features three of the top 10 tacklers in the ACC in safety Dylan Singleton and linebackers Joe Giles-Harris and Ben Humphreys.

Give it a read...

peloton
10-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Time to get back on the winning track! I hope that 2 weeks after the VT loss the staff and team are hungry...no, ravenous for a win today. Let's put up some points and take it to the Yellow Jackets - go Duke!

chrishoke
10-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Let's go Devils!

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Wide receiver Aaron Young on field warming up:

@stevewisemanNC

Duke WR Aaron Young on field warming up and running patterns at Georgia Tech this AM. A hamstring injury has sidelined Young since season-opening win over Army when he had 114 receiving yards.

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 11:10 AM
More good news:

@stevewisemanNC

Duke will have two key defensive players back from injuries today at Georgia Tech. DT Edgar Cerenord and CB Michael Carter both missed last 2 games.

Cerenord in the middle is key to stopping the B-Back Dive play.

devildeac
10-13-2018, 11:11 AM

Duke--38
GT----31

Yea, I don't know what to predict with this one. VT's D gave up 49 to ODU yet held us to 14 :confused:.

WAG for me at:

Duke: 35
GT: 31

sagegrouse
10-13-2018, 11:12 AM
TaQuon Marshall has started at QB every game this season. No QB change took place for the Yellow Jackets.

There you go again! Stopping a conversation by inserting a fact. :D

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2018, 11:14 AM

Well blame it on Steve Logan.....he said that this morning and I normally trust him on QB comments. My bad. Well, his bad too.

devildeac
10-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Carter and Cerenord returning to the line-up warms my heart. Reading that Young is also on the field taking reps is also very good news.

fuse
10-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Cerenord being back is huge.

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Deon Jackson starting at running back:

Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC

Duke will start Deon Jackson at running back in place of Brittain Brown. Also Zach Harmon returns to start at center in place of Jack Wohlabaugh. Harmon hasn't played since Sept. 8.

Brittain Brown has never fully recovered from the Week 1 knee hyper-extension.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Ugh - our fugliest uniform on display today....

DU82
10-13-2018, 12:24 PM
Four plays: three first downs and a touchdown run!

Indoor66
10-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Hello, Bobby Dodd Stadium!

DukieInKansas
10-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Four plays: three first downs and a touchdown run!

Thank you. I'm at work and just pulled up the game. Wondered how we scored. Who ran it in?

DukeDevil
10-13-2018, 12:35 PM
go for it!!! should have been pass interference

edit: whoops...I take that back

ehdg
10-13-2018, 12:36 PM
Didn’t like the 4th n 1 call. Jones should be right under Center n keep it n push straight ahead.

TKG
10-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Ugh - our fugliest uniform on display today...

You’re not a fan of our traditional grey?

DU82
10-13-2018, 12:45 PM

Better than the black. And my favorite helmet logo.

Faison1
10-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Really bad recognition by Daniel Jones....he even pointed out that guy blitzing from his weak side. And still hung on to the ball too long.....

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Where's the live thread?
And how could Jones NOT SEE the corner blitz coming....that fumble is all on him. Shame, he's looking sharp otherwise.

ehdg
10-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Damn we need to get scores or those last 2 possessions could come back to haunt us!

TKG
10-13-2018, 12:48 PM
Better than the black. And my favorite helmet logo.

I agree with you on the helmet logo...hands down, my favorite.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2018, 12:54 PM
I agree with you on the helmet logo...hands down, my favorite.

wow, I don't like the giggling devil at all....cartoonish....on dull grey matte finish. Shiny silver underneath would help. Also, if we ever win one wearing this it would help.

DU82
10-13-2018, 12:58 PM
wow, I don't like the giggling devil at all...cartoonish...on dull grey matte finish. Shiny silver underneath would help. Also, if we ever win one wearing this it would help.

2015 Pinstripe Bowl good enough for you? (The logo, at least.)

TKG
10-13-2018, 12:59 PM
wow, I don't like the giggling devil at all...cartoonish...on dull grey matte finish. Shiny silver underneath would help. Also, if we ever win one wearing this it would help.

Oh, you’re no fun!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-13-2018, 01:03 PM
That emblem is associated with Duke football history. I love it!;)

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2018, 01:05 PM
That emblem is associated with Duke football history. I love it!;)

As I recall, those were not happy days.

75Crazie
10-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Gray is a ubiquitous "color", everybody uses it at some point … which means it has no real meaning. If it is used in lieu of white as a counterpoint to the other team's color jersey, I would not complain. But Tech is white today, which means gray is replacing our chance to show our real colors. In that context, it is hideous.

ratamero
10-13-2018, 01:18 PM
*sigh*

killerleft
TJ Rahming with his entry for worst football decision of 2018.

Devil in the Blue Dress
As I recall, those were not happy days.
Depends on whether you lived on campus then.

sagegrouse
Worst punt return ever.

If Duke had those unis when I was in HS, I would have gone elsewhere

75Crazie
10-13-2018, 01:20 PM
I cannot believe Duke is playing so stupidly. So far, Duke looks by far the dominant team … but the offense and now special team play appears to be brain-locked.

peloton
10-13-2018, 01:26 PM
C'mon, Duke - let's take control of this game again. Make better decisions!

75Crazie
10-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Deja vu … three-man rush pressuring Jones into mistakes.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Well that was some home cookin if I’ve ever seen it. Wow.

YmoBeThere
10-13-2018, 01:33 PM
That call deserves a call to the league office...

ehdg
10-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Were beating ourselves! D is playing good but offense with some bad play calling n decision making is costing us. We should be up big if we just made better decisions n play calling!

CameronBlue
10-13-2018, 01:34 PM

Not to be outdone, Jones with his entry. After a great defensive stand, even it Duke runs out the clock to half, they're in good shape, but Jones gets generous.

ChrisP
10-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Ugh, what TERRIBLE decisions by both Rahming and especially Jones to give GT some tremendous advantages here when we were in control.

75Crazie
10-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Incredibly porous offensive line. The two Techs have demonstrated the blueprint for taking Duke out of a game.

jacone21
10-13-2018, 01:40 PM
At some point, all that trash talking and chippyness had to come to a head. Whatever happened to "act like you've been there?"

peloton
10-13-2018, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry but if I'm David Cutcliffe I ream the team a new one during halftime.

Yes, I'm a bit frustrated.

ChillinDuke
10-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Lot of things to clean up. And that GT TD was BS.

How did Aaron Young not pull that in?! Beautiful ball.

- Chillin

CameronBlue
10-13-2018, 01:44 PM
Ugh, what TERRIBLE decisions by both Rahming and especially Jones to give GT some tremendous advantages here when we were in control.

I guess you have to put yourself in Jones' shoes, he wants to make a play badly, but in one play he negated just a stellar 1st half's worth of work by the defense. A monumental WTF?? moment.

ChrisP
10-13-2018, 01:49 PM
I guess you have to put yourself in Jones' shoes, he wants to make a play badly, but in one play he negated just a stellar 1st half's worth of work by the defense. A monumental WTF?? moment.

Yes, I realize he was trying hard to avoid a sack there. And of course, plenty to dislike about the O-line's play there (and for much of the 1st half). Can't put it 100% on Jones, to be fair.

sagegrouse
10-13-2018, 01:49 PM
At the end of the first quarter, I thought we should have lead 21-0. At halftime, I think we should be behind 21-7. What an awful second quarter!

Halftime: NOT the best plays --

Rahming punt return -- the worst ever by a Duke football player.

Worst QB response to a potential sack -- DJ -- plus two other fumbles

Worst wide receiver plays -- Scott Bracey falls down and Aaron Young drops a perfectly thrown pass

Worst line play -- unit award to the offense

Some kudos to the defense, but we need to keep it up in the 2nd half. We will really need some help from the offense. How about a big play?

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 01:50 PM
Our Left Tackle was beaten badly on both turnover plays. I'm not given Daniel Jones a pass on the bad decision but we have to get better play from the offensive line in general and the LT specifically.

Rickshaw
10-13-2018, 02:01 PM
I think I've just watched the worst 5 minutes of college football I have ever seen

CameronBlue
10-13-2018, 02:07 PM
There's definitely enough blame to go around on the offense. They have just to realize that ball control is always critical, but moreso against a triple option team that runs the ball 95% of the time. Fewer passes, fewer incompletions, no opportunity to "take a play off." It's the grind of proverbial smash-mouth football that wears down a defense You just can't give Tech extra possessions. I'm still shaking my head over Jones' play, 1:40 to go till the half, Duke in the lead with the ball, deep in Tech territory. Just get to halftime and wait for your opportunities in the 2nd half. SMH, SMH, SMH. First half TOP: 18:02 Tech, 11:58 Duke.

fuse
10-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Clean up the mistakes, and Duke would have turned dominant field play into more first half points.

Feels like another game where Duke will have to count on defense to pull out a win on the road.

arnie
10-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Clean up the mistakes, and Duke would have turned dominant field play into more first half points.

Feels like another game where Duke will have to count on defense to pull out a win on the road.

Yea and we’re mailing it in on punt returns. Rahming has lost all confidence in fielding punts and Cut makes no changes

TruBlu
10-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Is Brown hurt? Haven’t seen him.

arnie
10-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Is Brown hurt? Haven’t seen him.

Apparently not recovered from 1st game injury

ChillinDuke
10-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Daniel Jones is a nice player, and I'm glad he's on our team. But all this talk of top-tier NFL pick seems crazy to me. Maybe I'm just stupid.

- Chillin

ehdg
10-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Damn longer this stays tied the better the chances for GTech to pull off the upset n beat us. Our Offense needs to get it in gear! Let’s go Duke!

TruBlu
10-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Are these the same refs from the Miami trick-or-treat game?

richardjackson199
10-13-2018, 02:39 PM
Daniel Jones is a nice player, and I'm glad he's on our team. But all this talk of top-tier NFL pick seems crazy to me. Maybe I'm just stupid.

- Chillin

The thing is Jones isn't playing as bad as it looks. He has NO protection from O-Line and receivers are dropping well-thrown passes. He made 1 poor decision with that interception, but not nearly as bad as O-Line making him look. Josh Allen and Josh Rosen drafted Top 10 last draft in similar situations. I still think Jones is gone even with games like today

YmoBeThere
10-13-2018, 02:47 PM
Must be the water...too many bone headed plays.

CameronBlue
10-13-2018, 02:49 PM
Must be the water...too many bone headed plays.

This is the danger of global warming. Elevated levels of CO2 and other triatomic molecules lead to cognitive impairment.

75Crazie
10-13-2018, 02:49 PM
The thing is Jones isn't playing as bad as it looks. He has NO protection from O-Line and receivers are dropping well-thrown passes. He made 1 poor decision with that interception, but not nearly as bad as O-Line making him look.
I completely concur. I think Jones has done well today … with the one obvious exception.

tbyers11
10-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Well that escalated quickly :D

Beautiful throw by Jones to Lloyd

CameronBlue
10-13-2018, 02:52 PM
The wheels have come off the Ramblin' Wreck. Wow.

ehdg
Wow pulling away now! Great way to end 3rd quarter with 2 TD’s in the span of 30 seconds. Keep it up Duke!

sagegrouse
I am glad Duke started listening to me. 28-7. Let's go Duke!!

AGDukesky
I completely concur. I think Jones has done well today … with the one obvious exception.

That ball batted out of his hand was a complete lack of pocket awareness. Second half looking much better...

Indoor66
10-13-2018, 02:53 PM
I guess there isn't as much global warming as some thought.

Rickshaw
10-13-2018, 02:53 PM
tough first half close out. redemption and then some

ChrisP
10-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Well, that stunk! Should have been salting it away by now. Another TO!

arnie
10-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Well we’ve won our 5th. The rest will be difficult since will face QBs that can throw.

jwillfan
10-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Arnie such a downer!

Indoor66
10-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Arnie such a downer!

God forbid we enjoy this win. Try living in the moment!

ehdg
10-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Nice win! Defense played really well today! Offense capitalized nicely on the 2 TO’s they got in the 3rd quarter. Put game away end of 3rd quarter with 3 TD’s in about a minute n 49 seconds.

Wander
10-13-2018, 03:37 PM
No reason this team can't finish 9-3.

arnie
10-13-2018, 03:37 PM
Arnie such a downer!

You’re right- I just see hard games to finish the season.

75Crazie
10-13-2018, 03:38 PM
That ball batted out of his hand was a complete lack of pocket awareness. Second half looking much better...
You're right, I forgot about that one. So two bonehead first-half plays, but still in sum a pretty good game by Jones. But we cannot afford those types of plays against the better teams.

PDDuke85
10-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Nice win! Defense played really well today! Offense capitalized nicely on the 2 TO’s they got in the 3rd quarter. Put game away end of 3rd quarter with 3 TD’s in about a minute n 49 seconds.

Love the physicality too. I felt they beat up Tech all day.

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Deon Jackson was a workhorse today carrying the ball 21 times for 98 yards. He also had two receptions for eight yards. Daniel Jones completed passes to nine receivers. T.J. Rahming led the way with four receptions for 91 yards. Aaron Young added three receptions for 25 yards. Chris Taylor, Johnathan Lloyd and Daniel Helm also had two receptions.

The offense didn't look great for 60 minutes but they looked good enough, long enough to secure a big ACC road victory!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Yay DUKE! 5-1! On our way to 11-1! And then 13-1! LGD GTHc!

dudog84
10-13-2018, 03:56 PM
I think I've just watched the worst 5 minutes of college football I have ever seen

Recent Duke football fan, eh? :)

YmoBeThere
10-13-2018, 03:58 PM
I guess there isn't as much global warming as some thought.

Global warming affects everyone...GA Tech’s mistakes in the 3rd support this.

But I still think it was the water.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Recent Duke football fan, eh? :)
LOL! He has no idea! LGD GTHc!

peloton
10-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Chris Taylor, Johnathan Lloyd and Daniel Helm also had two receptions.

Didn't Koppenhaver have a reception for a TD? Maybe my memory is worse than I think.

loran16
10-13-2018, 04:11 PM
Curious if someone (Jim?) will look this up, was this the first time Duke has only used a single running back in a game in the David Cutcliffe era? Deon had good early and late game moments (fumble aside), but the middle of the game featured him bottled up, when a fresher back might've been able to keep pounding the ball on the ground.

Defense was excellent, and that's all that should be said about it. Unfortunately we won't face another option team in the regular season. The offense......the OLine was not good, yet again, and Daniel Jones is gonna get killed if the team doesn't adapt to it - ironically, I suggested in chat we try swing passes, and we did try one which resulted in a Rahming first down, since GT was both surprised by it and was playing back. If the OLine doesn't give DJ more time, he's going to be forced to go back to them more often, which we all know and love sigh.

Also, seriously, someone else return punts please. This is not a new problem for Rahming in this area.

AGDukesky
10-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Every time I doubt this team, the defense makes me look bad. Really impressive performance on the road!

ehdg
10-13-2018, 04:20 PM
Didn't Koppenhaver have a reception for a TD? Maybe my memory is worse than I think.

You are correct Bob! Both TE’s Helm n Koppenhaver had TD receptions.

budwom
10-13-2018, 04:22 PM

Reading this post game, I'm sure you're referring to his idiotic decision to field a punt on the one that wanted to roll into the end zone in the worst kind of way.
But then he nearly outdid himself by nearly hurling the ball into the end zone from the three yard line (after catching a pass), thank the futbol gods he was out of bounds.

Even the announcer managed to bungle stuff up (I think, had the sound of most of the time)...Rahming catches a TD pass and several minutes later the announcer says Rahming hadn't touched the ball all day?

jwillfan
10-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Cut said in the post game that DT whose name I won't try to spell - starts with a C - ruptured his achilles. Senior, done

budwom
10-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Cut said in the post game that DT whose name I won't try to spell - starts with a C - ruptured his achilles. Senior, done

ouch ouch ouch...Cerenord, key guy in jamming up the middle today. We have a lot of depth at that position, but none as good as him...

sagegrouse
10-13-2018, 04:35 PM
[This post is for the record, so I don't have to look up the record in future years.]

I have opined that Duke tries really hard to get a bye week before playing Georgia Tech with its option offense, or, if not, then a match-up with another triple-option or spread option team. Jim Sumner has responded that ACC schedules are set by the league office, so it isn't possible. I have, as usual, exaggerated my claims, but there is some evidence for the bye-week hypothesis.

In the Cutcliffe-Paul Johnson era, here's the list of games, beginning in 2008:

2018 @GT 28-14 bye week
2017 GT 43-20 played Army the week before
2016 @GT 35-38 bye week
2015 GT 34-20 played Northw'n the week before (Sept. game)
2014 @GT 31-25 bye week
2013 GT 14-38 Sept. 14 game, played Memphis week before (Sept. game)
2012 @GT 24-42 bye week

2011 GT 31-38 played VA the week before
2010 @GT 20-30 played BC the week before
2009 GT 10-49 played UNC the week before
2008 @GT 0-27 played VA the week before
Anyway, the record is that since 2012 Duke has played Georgia Tech seven times. Four of those games were preceded by a "bye week;" one of the others were against Army, another triple-option team. The other two were September games, where a zealot advocating my position would say that August practices could be used to prepare for September games.

For the record, Duke is 4-3 over this period, in comparison to 0-4 in the first four games of the Cut-Johnson series.

If scheduling is truly random, then Duke-GT should be preceded by a Duke bye week about one year out of eight (as opposed to four years out of the last seven).

Bob Green
Tough news on Cerenord.

Here are the game highlights from ACC Digital Network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_JeCqEJZJ0

ehdg

Damn that hurts n hate his Duke career ends like that! C thanks for all you’ve done for us on the football field!

Bob Green
10-13-2018, 04:36 PM

Yes, Koppenhaver with 1 catch for 1 yard and 1 touchdown.

killerleft
10-13-2018, 05:12 PM
Yes, Koppenhaver with 1 catch for 1 yard and 1 touchdown.

That was a great play all around. Perfect throw by Daniel Jones, beautiful grab by Davis Koppenhaver.

jimsumner
10-13-2018, 05:23 PM
[This post is for the record, so I don't have to look up the record in future years.]

I have opined that Duke tries really hard to get a bye week before playing Georgia Tech with its option offense, or, if not, then a match-up with another triple-option or spread option team. Jim Sumner has responded that ACC schedules are set by the league office, so it isn't possible. I have, as usual, exaggerated my claims, but there is some evidence for the bye-week hypothesis.

In the Cutcliffe-Paul Johnson era, here's the list of games, beginning in 2008:

2018 @GT 28-14 bye week
2017 GT 43-20 played Army the week before
2016 @GT 35-38 bye week
2015 GT 34-20 played Northw'n the week before (Sept. game)
2014 @GT 31-25 bye week
2013 GT 14-38 Sept. 14 game, played Memphis week before (Sept. game)
2012 @GT 24-42 bye week

2011 GT 31-38 played VA the week before
2010 @GT 20-30 played BC the week before
2009 GT 10-49 played UNC the week before
2008 @GT 0-27 played VA the week before
Anyway, the record is that since 2012 Duke has played Georgia Tech seven times. Four of those games were preceded by a "bye week;" one of the others were against Army, another triple-option team. The other two were September games, where a zealot advocating my position would say that August practices could be used to prepare for September games.

For the record, Duke is 4-3 over this period, in comparison to 0-4 in the first four games of the Cut-Johnson series.

If scheduling is truly random, then Duke-GT should be preceded by a Duke bye week about one year out of eight (as opposed to four years out of the last seven).

So, you're suggesting that Duke schedules a week off before the GT game as often as they can and Paul Johnson and the ACC are okay with it?

killerleft
10-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Reading this post game, I'm sure you're referring to his idiotic decision to field a punt on the one that wanted to roll into the end zone in the worst kind of way.
But then he nearly outdid himself by nearly hurling the ball into the end zone from the three yard line (after catching a pass), thank the futbol gods he was out of bounds.

Even the announcer managed to bungle stuff up (I think, had the sound of most of the time)...Rahming catches a TD pass and several minutes later the announcer says Rahming hadn't touched the ball all day?

TJ Rahming has been a recruiting success for Duke, no question! But there are times he seems to have learned football techniques in a vacuum, that he never picked up the 'playground smarts' that would have helped him avoid those two big mistakes today. Thank goodness for the defense after his first gaff, and the sideline on his second.

uh_no
10-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Yay DUKE! 5-1! On our way to 11-1! And then 13-1! LGD GTHc!

i think you mean 14-1.

sagegrouse
10-13-2018, 06:20 PM
So, you're suggesting that Duke schedules a week off before the GT game as often as they can and Paul Johnson and the ACC are okay with it?

I dunno, Jim, but it seems, as Alice said, "Curiouser and curiouser." "Yes," to the first part of your statement and "I don't know" to the second part. I have also heard that other GT opponents try to do the same thing, but I don't feel like developing the data.

jimsumner
10-13-2018, 06:25 PM
I dunno, Jim, but it seems, as Alice said, "Curiouser and curiouser." "Yes," to the first part of your statement and "I don't know" to the second part. I have also heard that other GT opponents try to do the same thing, but I don't feel like developing the data.

Duke and GT tend to play in the middle of the season. Open dates tend to come in the middle of the season.

Indoor66
10-13-2018, 06:33 PM
Duke and GT tend to play in the middle of the season. Open dates tend to come in the middle of the season.

Go ahead. Kill the high with reasoned thinking. 😂

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Had the ball deep in Longhorn territory when time ran out, Texas 23 Baylor 17

killerleft
10-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Had the ball deep in Longhorn territory when time ran out, Texas 23 Baylor 17

That Hurd guy has hands of stone. Did he finally catch a few?

chrishoke
10-13-2018, 08:54 PM
Player of the game - Chris Rumph in his first start with four tackles for loss. Great job young man.

Son of Jarhead
10-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Curious if someone (Jim?) will look this up, was this the first time Duke has only used a single running back in a game in the David Cutcliffe era? Deon had good early and late game moments (fumble aside), but the middle of the game featured him bottled up, when a fresher back might've been able to keep pounding the ball on the ground.

I wondered that same thing. If I had to guess, it was either Chris Douglas in 2003 or Robert Baldwin in 1994 who might have gone a whole game (both rushed for over 1,000 yards those years).

For Deon, I thought he was really tired right before that fumble. He had already run four straight times on that drive, the last being that play where he ran through, over, and away from several defenders before going out of bounds at the 10. TV showed him as he was walking back in bounds and he waved to the bench, appearing to signal that he needed a break. It looked like he got signaled to stay in. I was worried about his being tired and next play, he fumbles. I sure hope Brown is back next week. I like having a two-headed monster at RB.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2018, 09:23 PM

Victory formation. Sweet.

Sloppy game but a huge win. 5-1, baby!

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Player of the game - Chris Rumph in his first start with four tackles for loss. Great job young man.

He was everywhere.....a beast today!

Newton_14
10-13-2018, 10:40 PM
Very weird game. Thank God we have an outstanding defense! I haven't verified it but unless the last home game against NC State was shorter, todaymay have been the shortest amount of time ever for us to score 3 touchdowns. The wheels totally fell off for Gatech in those last two minutes of the 3rd Qtr and thank goodness because our offense prior to that was putrid. Credit to the O for getting it done when they were presented with a short field opportunity.

O-Line
>Entering the season my biggest concern was our receiving corps but as of right now our biggest weakness is our O-Line, specifically on pass protection. We actually ran the ball well today for the most part, so the O-Line is executing on run-blocking, but on pass protection they were very porous. As Bob noted, Left Tackle is killing us. Daniel was running for his life out there and on some plays it was so bad he didn't even have time to throw a hot-read slant. We have to correct this to be the team we can be and reach our full potential and achieve our highest goals.

Refs
> I must be blind. On Tech's very first possession of the 2nd Half, they clearly fumbled prior to the runner being down; Duke clearly recovered it and a Duke player clearly had the ball when the refs finally got all of the players up from the dogpile, yet the refs signaled Tech ball, and even though there was an immediate timeout due to an injured Duke player but Duke doesn't challenge and the Review Refs who supposedly review every play decided not to review the play. I was dazed and confused at that point. Am I crazy or did that not actually happen??
> If the first Tech touchdown wasn't offensive pass interference then why have the rule? And if the ref threw the flag for interference, why in the heck was the flag picked up? Miami refs??

More confusion:Wanted: Punt Returner For Top 30 Power Five Conference Football Team
> TJ makes perhaps the dumbest/worst play in the history of Duke Football, and in addition to that play, he reverts back to last year's version of himself by allowing multiple punts to hit the ground rather than fair-catching the dang ball, worsening our field position each time, 1. Cut keeps sending him back out there to field punts! and 2. The Raycom Crew announces him as the Player of The Game. Again, I was dazed and confused...

End Result: Got The Win Baby
All the weirdness and confusion aside, bottom line is the Devil Went Down To Georgia and came back home with a big road victory against a Coastal Division Foe! 5-1 with a great chance to get to 8 or 9 wins. If we can get the O-Line to actually start blocking someone on pass plays we can light up scoreboards, but as of right now the O-Line is my biggest concern. Quentin needs to stay ready at all times if these guys don't figure it out soon.

Big win Devils! Way to Go!!

Go Duke!

uh_no
10-13-2018, 11:11 PM
> If the first Tech touchdown wasn't offensive pass interference then why have the rule? And if the ref threw the flag for interference, why in the heck was the flag picked up? Miami refs??

I thought the same thing at first, but after seeing the receiver's jersey getting pulled for almost the entirety of the route, much of my rage dissipated. IMO once the DB is initiating contact (in this case by tugging the jersey), he isn't going to get any call, even if the contact later on is far more substantial from the WR.

killerleft
10-13-2018, 11:52 PM

Victory formation. Sweet.

Sloppy game but a huge win. 5-1, baby!

Y'all had an excellent point-of-view at the end of the third quarter, right?

Bob Green
10-14-2018, 06:42 AM
Wanted: Punt Returner For Top 30 Power Five Conference Football Team
> TJ makes perhaps the dumbest/worst play in the history of Duke Football, and in addition to that play, he reverts back to last year's version of himself by allowing multiple punts to hit the ground rather than fair-catching the dang ball, worsening our field position each time, 1. Cut keeps sending him back out there to field punts! and 2. The Raycom Crew announces him as the Player of The Game. Again, I was dazed and confused...

Duke desperately needs a punt returner. I have no idea why Coach Cutcliffe is sticking with T.J. Rahming who is dreadful.

Player of the Game: I've two nominations (and neither one is Rahming) ...

1. Deon Jackson - 180 All Purpose Yards. 98 rushing, 74 kick returns, 8 receiving

2. Joe Giles-Harris - 15 tackles

Bob Green
10-14-2018, 07:11 AM
Jim Sumner recap on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/13/17972286/georgia-tech-gets-a-case-of-the-dropsies-and-duke-takes-full-advantage-winning-28-14-acc-football

Duke’s defense was the big story, essentially shutting down an offense that has been destroying teams in recent weeks. Tech only had one sustained scoring drive and rushed for 229 yards.

They came into the game averaging 373 rushing yards per game.

Tech went 1-4 on fourth down.

arnie
10-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Duke desperately needs a punt returner. I have no idea why Coach Cutcliffe is sticking with T.J. Rahming who is dreadful.

Player of the Game: I've two nominations (and neither one is Rahming) ...

1. Deon Jackson - 180 All Purpose Yards. 98 rushing, 74 kick returns, 8 receiving

2. Joe Giles-Harris - 15 tackles

Yea I thought Jackson was spectacular; with no apparent RB relief on the sidelines he killed a lot of clock.The Rahming episodes are truly baffling. I’ve watched Bobo catch everything thrown his way and he recovered the onside kick yesterday. So what if he’s not has fast as Rahming, if Bobo can 1)judge the flight of a punt, 2)keep the sun out of his eyes and 3)catch the ball before it hits the ground; he’s my nomination.

Bob Green
10-14-2018, 07:39 AM
Yea I thought Jackson was spectacular

Coach Cutcliffe agrees with you. From Steve Wiseman's article at the News & Observer:

"I had great confidence in Deon. He’s a little shook about the (fourth-quarter) fumble. But what a warrior he was today.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article219951900.html

budwom
10-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Let us now enjoy a wee bit of history (if I may articulate): When Duke hired Cutcliffe, Joltin' Joe Alleva first had his sites set on Paul Johnson (and later Karl Dorrel, OMG)...Duke offered Johnson everything he wanted, but it became evident that he was leveraging Duke in order to drive up his price at Georgia Tech...so to Atlanta he goes, beginning at GT at the same time Cutcliffe began at Duke.

I think we got the better end of that deal, and I think some karma may be at work given our recent success vs GT...a lot of people think Johnson negotiated in bad faith with us (having really no intention to come to Duke)...I'm very happy he's there and not here...

OldPhiKap
10-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Y'all had an excellent point-of-view at the end of the third quarter, right?

Yup. After everything happening at the other end zone the first half, the end of the third quarter was right in our fade to Rahming was right into the Duke corner of the stadium.

OldPhiKap
10-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Let us now enjoy a wee bit of history (if I may articulate): When Duke hired Cutcliffe, Joltin' Joe Alleva first had his sites set on Paul Johnson (and later Karl Dorrel, OMG)...Duke offered Johnson everything he wanted, but it became evident that he was leveraging Duke in order to drive up his price at Georgia Tech...so to Atlanta he goes, beginning at GT at the same time Cutcliffe began at Duke.

I think we got the better end of that deal, and I think some karma may be at work given our recent success vs GT...a lot of people think Johnson negotiated in bad faith with us (having really no intention to come to Duke)...I'm very happy he's there and not here...

Agree with all of this. I know lots of GT alum, and they all hate PJ. Hate the option, dislike him personally. The Tech chat boards last night were brutal on him.

budwom
10-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Agree with all of this. I know lots of GT alum, and they all hate PJ. Hate the option, dislike him personally. The Tech chat boards last night were brutal on him.

I relished the Tech boards...they still want to think we suck, it's a disgrace to lose to us, etc, etc.
How 'bout a tip of the hat to Paul Hewitt, whose grotesquely large buyout as fired Tech hoop coach made it impossible to buy out Johnson previously (I love his unpopularity which you reference)..

Now, Johnson would only cost two million (or so I read) to buy out...if they don't make a bowl this year (likely), have to think he'll be gone...

OldPhiKap
10-14-2018, 09:01 AM
I relished the Tech boards...they still want to think we suck, it's a disgrace to lose to us, etc, etc.
How 'bout a tip of the hat to Paul Hewitt, whose grotesquely large buyout as fired Tech hoop coach made it impossible to buy out Johnson previously (I love his unpopularity which you reference)..

Now, Johnson would only cost two million (or so I read) to buy out...if they don't make a bowl this year (likely), have to think he'll be gone...

They also had a buy-out for Chan Gailey which hurt,

Yeah, there was an article entitled, roughly, if we can’t beat Duke at football what is left? For smart people, they are awfully slow on the uptake here. Duke is a very good (not yet great) team and program, led by one of the top coaches in college football. And getting better every year, more or less.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-14-2018, 09:31 AM

I've wondered many times over the years how upset the GaT fans were with the option....I mean, it's kind of a gimmicky little high school type offense, and it has success built on the fact that very few people know how to defend it. I wondered how much I would hate it if Duke had hired Johnson and he were still here. A tiny school like Duke....pre Cutcliffe....might've been okay with a bunch of 6-6 records running the Army/Navy offense.

OldPhiKap
10-14-2018, 09:43 AM
I've wondered many times over the years how upset the GaT fans were with the option...I mean, it's kind of a gimmicky little high school type offense, and it has success built on the fact that very few people know how to defend it. I wondered how much I would hate it if Duke had hired Johnson and he were still here. A tiny school like Duke...pre Cutcliffe...might've been okay with a bunch of 6-6 records running the Army/Navy offense.

The main complaint I hear from GT alum is that they can’t recruit high-quality QBs and WRs to a team that runs all the time.

And sitting in the stands, it is as difficult to see where the ball is when they are on offense as it is designed to be. Which makes it tough to watch.

Also, the obvious — the option works great when you are ahead or tied, but fall behind by a few scores late and you are in trouble. GT took about seven minutes off the clock in the fourth quarter battling back from down 28-7 to get their second TD.

Reilly
10-14-2018, 10:25 AM
... Hate the option, dislike him personally ...

But he's a snazzy dresser.

PDDuke85
10-14-2018, 10:35 AM

https://youtu.be/M1fXcyHYZ2E

A decade of overwhelming joy having Cut at Duke and having Happy Paul in Atlanta. Win, lose or draw, I enjoy Cut’s after game comments, and his Tuesday pressers. That said, I look forward to Happy Paul’s post game comments VS Duke, 3 out of the past 4 years.

tux
10-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Trading Aleva for White and getting Cut over Johnson may be the best and perhaps luckiest stretch for Duke Athletics personnel since hiring K.

But I think Duke fans would have been estatic to get Johnson and more than happy with a bunch of around .500 finishes with that option offense. The offense is tough to defend but, to me, has a ceiling in terms of how far it can take you.

Bob Green
10-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Updated Sagarin ratings:

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Duke - 25

Clemson - 3
Miami - 21
Virginia - 53
Pitt - 73
Wake Forest - 79
Carolina - 99

PDDuke85
10-14-2018, 11:08 AM

A decade of overwhelming joy having Cut at Duke and having Happy Paul in Atlanta. Win, lose or draw, I enjoy Cut’s after game comments, and his Tuesday pressers. That said, I look forward to Happy Paul’s post game comments VS Duke, 3 out of the past 4 years.

Thanks Bob for fixing that link for me
Navy 1
Air Force 0

duke2x
10-14-2018, 11:09 AM
Are these the same refs from the Miami trick-or-treat game?

I'm 80% sure the box score is wrong and that it was the base crew from the Pitt game last year. I'm surprised they didn't call us for a flying wedge again. We won, which is all that matters at this point.

This team is starting to look way too much like last year statistically. Confirmation bias aside and lies, [expletive deleted] lies aside, look very closely at how our opponents consistently play against other teams v. Duke. Duke's defense holds FBS opponents about 10-11 points below their scores against other opponents. That -11 number is unconscious as the kids say (0 is average). We owe a tremendous amount of credit to our players and defensive coaches (Albert, Guerreri et al.) for what they have done. We really only give up about 7 points a game unless mistakes are involved. Yesterday was another example. It probably was a 14-7 game in Duke's favor. The bad news is that our offense is about -5 (last year was negative) when we want it to be positive. We are in good shape to get to another bowl at this point, but we can't ask our defense to carry 90% of the load every game.

duke2x
10-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Very weird game. Thank God we have an outstanding defense! I haven't verified it but unless the last home game against NC State was shorter, todaymay have been the shortest amount of time ever for us to score 3 touchdowns.

NCSU was 0:26. You may never see that again. GT was about 1:30.

sagegrouse
10-14-2018, 11:46 AM

We scored three TD in 1:30 without a defensive touchdown (like a "pick six"). Pretty impressive.

loran16
10-14-2018, 11:48 AM

Some eerie parallels between these two games honestly. The State game was against an inferior opponent who Duke should have handled more easily, but uncharacteristically struggled, until State made those humongous errors at the end to blow the score open. Same with GT.

budwom
10-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Trading Aleva for White and getting Cut over Johnson may be the best and perhaps luckiest stretch for Duke Athletics personnel since hiring K.

But I think Duke fans would have been estatic to get Johnson and more than happy with a bunch of around .500 finishes with that option offense. The offense is tough to defend but, to me, has a ceiling in terms of how far it can take you.

That's exactly right, there's a limit as to how far that offense can take you, though most of their opponents have trouble with the option, so winning 7-8 games/year is very doable. Still glad we
didn't take the Sourpuss route.

OldPhiKap
10-14-2018, 12:12 PM

As cuddly as a cactus.

Contrast that, though, with any Fedora PC after a loss - “not sure what happened, will have to look at the film”

jimsumner
10-14-2018, 12:34 PM
In case anyone really wants Johnson's post-game quotes,

Opening Statement:
“I’m just really frustrated. I’m frustrated we didn’t play particularly well in the first half on offense, especially on some short yardage stuff. We couldn’t seem to convert. I had thought we made some good adjustments at halftime. We came out to start the second half with a horrendous special teams play that took the ball over to the 8-yard line and got it out of there pretty good. Then, we get a penalty and got behind with no choice but to punt. We flipped the field and put them down on the 5. They made two or three first downs, flipped the field and then put us on the 8. So, it was going to be one of those games. Then we took the ball back out to midfield and then laid it on the ground. Then third-and-whatever-it-was – 12, 15 – they hit us for a big play. They kicked it out of bounds the very first play we laid it on the ground. They score, they kick it off and we lay it on the kickoff return and pretty much the game’s out of reach. I thought we had cleaned that up, but clearly, we haven’t. There is a small margin of error, we can’t win games when we turn the ball over three times. We have stayed away from that [penalties] and today we didn’t do a very good job of that.”

On today’s offense versus prior games:
“We had some chances in the first half, and we couldn’t finish. We got into the secondary and we couldn’t get away. You have to give them [Duke] some credit. We didn’t finish any explosive plays or big plays. We have to do a better job, clearly, coaching ball security and that comes back to us. You can’t have the ball swinging when you’re in a crowd and have it on your hip. I feel like we try to stress it, but clearly we are not stressing it enough.”

On the defense:
“We played well after the first series. We had done some good things defensively, and then when the turnovers started, it’s like we went crazy there too. We got misaligned, and they hit the wheel route. We also turned a guy loose on third-and-12. The guy slipped, but the guy was beat by a mile when he fell down, or it looked like it to me from the sideline. You take the positives, and you try to grow from them. You correct it, and you go play. We can be a pretty good football team if we don’t turn the ball over and we don’t have penalties.”

On the preparation for this week’s game:
“I thought we had a decent week of practice. I’ll be honest, from week one to now the practice hasn’t been much different. The two weeks that we were really executing the practice was about the same as it was this week. I think sometimes when we start out and we don’t have immediate success on offense, the guys try to do too much. They don’t go with the flow and don’t go with the system and then it gets worse, as opposed to just kind of playing.”

On the opening series of the second half:
“It was 7-7 at halftime, and I told our guys ‘We are in great shape. We get the ball first to start the second half.’ I think, maybe other than one game, we have scored every time we had the first possession of the second half we have scored all year. Then we go out there and have a terrible kickoff return and a get penalty on top of that. We had their guy, if our guy didn’t jump because they [Duke] were trying to time the snap up and we jumped offsides. First-and-15 instead of first-and-5, we couldn’t overcome it, and we had to punt.”

On the adjustments made at halftime:
“There wasn’t a whole lot of adjustment, I mean they [Duke] lined up exactly like we knew they would, just like I’m sure they [Duke] could tell you we ran what they thought we would. I mean, when you play each other, that is what happens. We just did a very poor job of execution. You can’t turn people loose and create negative plays. It’s hard to play when it is second-and-12 or second-and-whatever. You have to try to get positive. We are a pretty good team if it is second-and-6, we can do that. In the first half, the thing that killed us was missing on the two short yardage situations. Normally, we are pretty good at that. I look back and it is very poor execution and I probably could’ve helped them with a better call.”

jimsumner
10-14-2018, 12:36 PM
Cut's quotes

Opening Statement:
“I’m real proud of our team in a circumstance on the road for responding to different things that occurred during the game. In the first half, we contributed what I would call four turnovers. We turned the ball over on fourth-and-1, we turned the ball over twice and mishandled a punt to leave the ball back inside the 5-yard line. I thought we did respond to that defensively; we only gave up seven points.

“We turned around in the third quarter and did the same thing back. We created turnovers, and they were created. We responded offensively in a big way. We responded in the kicking game, creating our own turnover in that regard. [We had] great effort and great energy throughout this entire game. I would say our coaches responded well. There were adjustments that had to be made in all areas. Regardless of what Georgia Tech did on offense, and they did a lot of different things at times trying to find a spot to pick on, and our coaches responded well.

“Offensively, we made the decision to run the ball more effectively the second half, and we did. The numbers wouldn’t suggest that, but we did. We avoided many mistakes, sacks, things that were big plays for Georgia Tech in the first half, we were able to avoid those, and we continued to play well in the kicking game.

“It’s a big win, it’s a conference win, and it’s our first conference win. But we know we’ve got a lot of work lying right in front of us.”

On responding to the “chippiness” in the game:
“I thought we did fine. I can’t see on my sideline when something’s away. I saw what led to the start of the worst one. I don’t ever want to see players come off the sideline. I addressed it at halftime. Talking has never won a football game. It’s not who we are or what we do. The officials went in with a calmness and did the best job they could. We got an unsportsmanlike; they got a disqualification unsportsmanlike. We were better after halftime. I didn’t think it was near as bad in the second half.”

Comparing a similar situation that occurred in a 2017 loss to Army:
“In this case, it really didn’t give us yards. In that case, you gave up yards and kept drives alive. That’s a game that sits with every one of us in a certain spot that we’ll never like, but we learned a lot that day about our program. And we’ve won a lot of football games since that time. In that game, we didn’t do anything as well as we could. Hopefully, we continue to grow.”

On shutting down Georgia Tech’s offense:
“We’ve got good players on defense. We’re a good defensive football team. We have a systematic approach to playing an option offense. Believe it or not, we put this system in 11 years ago. We put it in the first spring, knowing that we had Georgia Tech every year in our division. We were playing Army and Navy multiple times on the schedule long-term. So we did a lot of research, a lot of work, talked to a lot of people. We’ve grown the system, but basically, we’ve got a playbook. We still work it in the spring. We try to make our players understand what the expectations are. There’s a whole bunch of guys in Durham, N.C., that I’m going to hug their neck, that had a lot to do with this. That’s how well they simulate Georgia Tech’s offense. They didn’t even make the trip; think about that. People forget those unsung heroes. Wow, did they do a job.”

On Georgia Tech DE Anree Saint-Amour’s performance in the first half:
“He’s a really good football player. He’s quick, he’s long. We thought going in that he was their best pass rusher. We just didn’t execute. We had some people get beat quick. He does great inside moves. When he beats you inside, he’s not very far away from your quarterback. We adjusted some things at halftime, we challenged out players. And I felt like we did a better job of managing him in the second half.”

OldPhiKap
10-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Jim.

Anyone know why GoDuke.com rarely has the actual press conferences when we are on the road? Is it a credentialing thing?

arnie
10-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Lots of votes in coaches poll, maybe get in if we beat UVA?

Bob Green
10-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Lots of votes in coaches poll, maybe get in if we beat UVA?

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2018/8/

PDDuke85
10-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Jim.

Anyone know why GoDuke.com rarely has the actual press conferences when we are on the road? Is it a credentialing thing?

My guess is what we see is what we get, a Cut quickie outside of the locker room at a regular season road game

OldPhiKap
10-14-2018, 01:47 PM
My guess is what we see is what we get, a Cut quickie outside of the locker room at a regular season road game

Yeah, but Jim quoted the actual PC I think. Not sure why it is hard to find video of that whenever we are on the road. (True in basketball often as well if it is not a tournament).

HereBeforeCoachK
10-14-2018, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Jim.

They used to be much better about it...really almost never last couple months...no excuse for them NOT to have one every hoops and football game.

jimsumner
10-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Yeah, but Jim quoted the actual PC I think. Not sure why it is hard to find video of that whenever we are on the road. (True in basketball often as well if it is not a tournament).

These were post-game transcripts provided by Georgia Tech.

budwom
10-14-2018, 01:57 PM
GoDuke.com is often woefully late in doing lots of things, such as even providing basic scores for various teams.