PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NBA 2018-19

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-01-2018, 08:28 PM
I just watched Lance Thomas, who has 11 points at halftime including 2-3 from 3pt land, drive his man and hit a running floater in the line. IMO, he is one of the most incredible post-college development stories among all Dukies ever. Not taking away from his college results. But wow he has worked hard to become so well rounded.

MartyClark
10-01-2018, 08:44 PM
I just watched Lance Thomas, who has 11 points at halftime including 2-3 from 3pt land, drive his man and hit a running floater in the line. IMO, he is one of the most incredible post-college development stories among all Dukies ever. Not taking away from his college results. But wow he has worked hard to become so well rounded.

Yeah, he's fun to watch.

He was definitely a "glue guy" on the 2010 team, good defender and good rebounder. I'm surprised at his post Duke development and can't immediately think of another Duke player who improved as much after leaving Duke for the NBA.

gep
10-01-2018, 10:33 PM
I really respect and like how Lance worked hard to get where he is. As I recall, hopefully correctly, before the 2010 season, at a grad student rally, Coach K introduced the team and the captains... and when he got to Lance, he said something like Lance will be playing in the NBA. At the time, I thought that might be another Coach K hype. Maybe it took a couple of years, but Lance has made it.

And... maybe not as dramatic, but I think JJ also transformed himself and his game well in the NBA :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
10-02-2018, 01:26 AM
I don't have kids, but if I did, I would hold up LT as a shining example of work ethic paying off. I have a strong feeling that Quinn Cook is going to have a seat at Lance's "Told You So" table.

DavidBenAkiva
10-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Here's a quick recap of preseason action from October 1st:

76s 120 vs. Magic 114
Amile Jefferson had 4 pts and 5 rebs in 12 minutes off the bench. He was +9 on the game. The Magic have a crowded frontcourt, but Jefferson seems to have an inside track for a roster spot.
J.J. Redick played 17 minutes, pouring in 12 points on 2-4 shooting and 6-7 from the free throw line.

Knicks 124 vs, Wizards 121
Lance Thomas had 12 pts on 4-5 shooting as a starter. The Knicks are going to be terrible this season and Thomas might be the elder statesman with all those younger players.
Austin Rivers played in his first game for his new team, coming off the bench for 8 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal in 23 minutes. The Wizards are in desperate need of a bench, and Rivers could really help backing up John Wall and Brad Beal. He was a key offseason acquisition. With his improved shooting the past couple of years, Rivers might just carve out a solid 10-15 year career in the NBA.

Pelicans 102 vs. Hawks 116
Jahlil Okafor looked like a more svelte but still powerful version of himself in the first game of the preseason over the weekend, which unfortunately ended in a pretty nasty ankle sprain.It doesn't seem like a serious injury.
Frank Jackson has 4 pts on 2-5 shooting off the bench.
Miles Plumlee had 5 rebounds, an assist, and a block in 16 minutes off the bench. He'll be battling his former Suns teammate Alex Len and Dwayne Dedmon for the starting Center position in Atlanta.

Kings 106 vs. Suns 102
Marvin Bagley III had 7 pts on 2-7 shooting and 3-6 from the FT line, but he chipped in with 2 rebounds, 2 assists, a steal, and 2 blocks in 25 minutes. He even got a block on DeAndre Ayton, who looked really, really good in this game.
Harry Giles also made his preseason debut and looked pretty great himself. He had 14 pts on 5-12 shooting, including 1-2 from the 3 point line and 3-6 from the FT line. He also had 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. Giles and Bagley were paired together a lot and might end up as the primary frontcourt players for the Kings this season.

flyingdutchdevil
10-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Here's a quick recap of preseason action from October 1st:

76s 120 vs. Magic 114
Amile Jefferson had 4 pts and 5 rebs in 12 minutes off the bench. He was +9 on the game. The Magic have a crowded frontcourt, but Jefferson seems to have an inside track for a roster spot.
J.J. Redick played 17 minutes, pouring in 12 points on 2-4 shooting and 6-7 from the free throw line.

Knicks 124 vs, Wizards 121
Lance Thomas had 12 pts on 4-5 shooting as a starter. The Knicks are going to be terrible this season and Thomas might be the elder statesman with all those younger players.
Austin Rivers played in his first game for his new team, coming off the bench for 8 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal in 23 minutes. The Wizards are in desperate need of a bench, and Rivers could really help backing up John Wall and Brad Beal. He was a key offseason acquisition. With his improved shooting the past couple of years, Rivers might just carve out a solid 10-15 year career in the NBA.

Pelicans 102 vs. Hawks 116
Jahlil Okafor looked like a more svelte but still powerful version of himself in the first game of the preseason over the weekend, which unfortunately ended in a pretty nasty ankle sprain.It doesn't seem like a serious injury.
Frank Jackson has 4 pts on 2-5 shooting off the bench.
Miles Plumlee had 5 rebounds, an assist, and a block in 16 minutes off the bench. He'll be battling his former Suns teammate Alex Len and Dwayne Dedmon for the starting Center position in Atlanta.

Kings 106 vs. Suns 102
Marvin Bagley III had 7 pts on 2-7 shooting and 3-6 from the FT line, but he chipped in with 2 rebounds, 2 assists, a steal, and 2 blocks in 25 minutes. He even got a block on DeAndre Ayton, who looked really, really good in this game.
Harry Giles also made his preseason debut and looked pretty great himself. He had 14 pts on 5-12 shooting, including 1-2 from the 3 point line and 3-6 from the FT line. He also had 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. Giles and Bagley were paired together a lot and might end up as the primary frontcourt players for the Kings this season.

If you were to tell me 15 years ago that two teams would start the season with pure Duke front courts (Kings, Bulls with Markannen out), I'd have laughed in your face.

Also, shocking that Duke only has 1 starting PG (albeit he's a top 5 most popular player in the league with a killer handle).

DavidBenAkiva
10-02-2018, 01:18 PM
If you were to tell me 15 years ago that two teams would start the season with pure Duke front courts (Kings, Bulls with Markannen out), I'd have laughed in your face.

Also, shocking that Duke only has 1 starting PG (albeit he's a top 5 most popular player in the league with a killer handle).

Pretty sure Jabari Parker will play the 3 for the Bulls this season. Although, I suppose that he could slide over to the 4 and have one of their reserve wings start instead. But yeah, it's pretty wild when you think about Duke's reputation of not being able to develop big men.

flyingdutchdevil
10-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Pretty sure Jabari Parker will play the 3 for the Bulls this season. Although, I suppose that he could slide over to the 4 and have one of their reserve wings start instead. But yeah, it's pretty wild when you think about Duke's reputation of not being able to develop big men.

With Markannen out, Jabari will likely slide to the 4. In the steady state, Jabari is a 3.

Also, we can develop bigs. We just can't develop PGs ;)

Edouble
10-02-2018, 04:19 PM

Yes, and also the concept of an NBA big is pretty different than what it was 15 years ago.

Think how good a mobile, shooting, athletic Christian Laettner would be in the league today. Duke's positionless concept is more suited to today's pro game than a generation prior.

thedukelamere
10-02-2018, 04:48 PM
And... maybe not as dramatic, but I think JJ also transformed himself and his game well in the NBA :cool:

One of my buddies was a huge Adam Morrison fan and he and I went at it on a daily basis during that amazing '05-'06 season.... Thanks to Facebook's "On This Day" feature, I am able to troll him several times a year by sharing his comments about how JJ would never make it in the NBA and that Morrison was better equipped for the next level.

arnie
10-03-2018, 07:19 AM
MP II made 11 FG on 11 shots with the Nuggets against Lebron last nite.

Furniture
10-04-2018, 05:16 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/1047360924858949632/video/1

fraggler
10-04-2018, 06:01 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/1047360924858949632/video/1

Furniture, I really appreciate the Twitter links. Can you try removing the /video/1 from them? I get a blank page each time I click on the link and have to remove that last bit to get the video to show up. At least it is that way on desktop Chrome.

sagegrouse
10-04-2018, 07:41 PM
Here's an ESPN article (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24896082/kyrie-irving-says-plans-re-signing-celtics) on Kyrie at Fan Day in Boston.

Money quote:

"If you guys will have me back, I plan on re-signing here next year," Irving said at an event for season ticket holders at TD Garden on Thursday night.

As it turns out, he makes a bunch more money if he waits until next summer, when his current contract expires.

flyingdutchdevil
10-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Here's an ESPN article (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24896082/kyrie-irving-says-plans-re-signing-celtics) on Kyrie at Fan Day in Boston.

Money quote:

As it turns out, he makes a bunch more money if he waits until next summer, when his current contract expires.

The earth is round? Announcing resigning?

Kyrie has always thought of himself as intelligent. Maybe it’s really the case now.

cato
10-04-2018, 08:05 PM
The earth is round? Announcing resigning?

Kyrie has always thought of himself as intelligent. Maybe it’s really the case now.

Getting out of Cleveland when we did was also pretty smart. He may have lucked out on his destination, but he recognizes a good gig.

Seems pretty intelligent to me.

Furniture
10-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Furniture, I really appreciate the Twitter links. Can you try removing the /video/1 from them? I get a blank page each time I click on the link and have to remove that last bit to get the video to show up. At least it is that way on desktop Chrome.

No problem. I always double check the links if I post anything. I just tried the same link without the /video/1 and it still works on my iPad so why not.

fraggler
10-04-2018, 08:08 PM
No problem. I always double check the links if I post anything. I just tried the same link without the /video/1 and it still works on my iPad so why not.

Cheers!

UrinalCake
10-04-2018, 10:14 PM
I know he was just playing to the crowd, and it's the kind of thing you have to say when asked, but I kind of feel like he's setting himself up for criticism if in fact he does leave. Fans understand the nature of the business, he would have been better off just not saying anything.

sagegrouse
10-04-2018, 10:22 PM
I know he was just playing to the crowd, and it's the kind of thing you have to say when asked, but I kind of feel like he's setting himself up for criticism if in fact he does leave. Fans understand the nature of the business, he would have been better off just not saying anything.

As the world's foremost proponent of the "Flat-Earth Theory," isn't he immune to criticism?

Kindly,
Sage
'I really think that the Flat-Earth theory would have more adherents if not for the presence of those "globes" in every elementary school classroom. It's hardly fair!'

cato
10-05-2018, 02:05 AM

Why would he play to the crowd? If anything, he wants to put pressure on the team. His best outcome is Celtics sign him for as much as possible, right?

Billy Dat
10-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Perfection is contagious...

28 points without missing a shot (10/10 FG, 7/7 3PT) for JJ Redick this morning in China.

JasonEvans
10-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Perfection is contagious...

28 points without missing a shot (10/10 FG, 7/7 3PT) for JJ Redick this morning in China.

Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KS0qkphCUI

-Jason "are the fans chanting 'Duuuuke' each time JJ touches the ball?" Evans

JasonEvans
10-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Apparently Lakerland is going insane over this sequence from the end of their most recent preseason game where Brandon Ingram's length is on full display. Watch the entire clip... that's some scary stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZZLs8GByfk

-Jason "Ingram had 31 and 9 boards in the game... and he played PG. Lebron was quite impressed (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24899049/lebron-james-los-angeles-lakers-calls-brandon-ingram-special-talent)" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
10-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KS0qkphCUI

-Jason "are the fans chanting 'Duuuuke' each time JJ touches the ball?" Evans

Nope. They were booing him for his racial slur: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24902948/jj-redick-philadelphia-76ers-gets-polite-booing-racist-slur

fraggler
10-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Nope. They were booing him for his racial slur: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24902948/jj-redick-philadelphia-76ers-gets-polite-booing-racist-slur

Alleged racial slur.

lmb
10-05-2018, 02:36 PM

And his performance further proves that JJ thrives on hate

unclsam1
10-05-2018, 11:56 PM
In the first half of the Kings - Warriors game tonight, Cook, Bagley, and Giles were on the court at the same time for several minutes toward the end of the 2nd period. But Durant and Thompson putting on a show giving the Warriors a 30 point half-time lead even with Curry and Green sitting out.

accfanfrom1970
10-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Had a Miles Plumlee sighting, showed up on espn top plays with a dunk.

CameronBornAndBred
10-06-2018, 10:32 AM
I don't think anyone has talked about Grayson in this thread yet. He's been having solid to great numbers off the bench, both in minutes and in points.
Last night put up 16 in 6-8 shooting in 24 minutes of play. (Also led the Jazz in turnovers, with 4.)

And...Grayson still loves to dunk.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1048388285687427072

Furniture
10-06-2018, 01:51 PM
I don't think anyone has talked about Grayson in this thread yet. He's been having solid to great numbers off the bench, both in minutes and in points.
Last night put up 16 in 6-8 shooting in 24 minutes of play. (Also led the Jazz in turnovers, with 4.)

And...Grayson still loves to dunk.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1048388285687427072

Here are some highlights. Apparently Grayson is ready for the NBA.

https://dukereport.com/audio-video/watch-grayson-allen-preseason-highlights-dukeofhoops/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Furniture
10-06-2018, 03:39 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/1048618893806166017

Some nice moves here from HG. Good to see....

DevilHorse
10-07-2018, 09:16 AM
A nice article about how the new Head Coach of the Knicks, Dave Fizdale, is appreciating what Lance Thomas continues to bring to the NY Knicks. No news to readers of this forum, although Lance's expanded offensive skill set just shows that he never stopped learning 'basketball'. Never stop learning is a Duke trait, right?!

https://nypost.com/2018/10/07/fizdale-latest-knicks-coach-to-see-lance-thomas-leadership/

Larry
DevilHorse

CameronBornAndBred
10-07-2018, 10:46 AM
A nice article about how the new Head Coach of the Knicks, Dave Fizdale, is appreciating what Lance Thomas continues to bring to the NY Knicks. No news to readers of this forum, although Lance's expanded offensive skill set just shows that he never stopped learning 'basketball'. Never stop learning is a Duke trait, right?!

https://nypost.com/2018/10/07/fizdale-latest-knicks-coach-to-see-lance-thomas-leadership/

Larry
DevilHorse

The longest-tenured Knick, Thomas was a co-captain last season with Courtney Lee, who hasn’t played yet because of a sore neck. There’s a chance Thomas and center Enes Kanter will be voted by the players as co-captains this season.

Not bad for a guy that won't make it in the NBA. :rolleyes:

duke09hms
10-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Whoever would have thought back in 2007-2010 Lance Thomas would have such a better NBA career than Kyle Singler. The guy averaged ~4 ppg in college.

Amazing his achievement and perhaps just as amazing, the irrelevance of Singler's NBA career.

Bay Area Duke Fan
10-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Whoever would have thought back in 2007-2010 Lance Thomas would have such a better NBA career than Kyle Singler. The guy averaged ~4 ppg in college.

Amazing his achievement and perhaps just as amazing, the irrelevance of Singler's NBA career.

How about including Nolan Smith in this comparison?

dukelifer
10-07-2018, 03:20 PM

Simply shows that the NBA is a different game. Thomas was ranked 20th by RSCI- same class as Durant and Oden. At 6'9" he found a niche as an active defender and then worked on his shooting, which has allowed him to stick. Singler did not make the necessary adjustments to his game - and his shooting became increasingly less consistent with time. He had a few decent years and made some money- but he never really committed to get better as a pro. Still, many players would do anything for his overall career.

sagegrouse
10-07-2018, 03:30 PM

Yep, although Kyle has made more money -- to date plus guarantee. Lance will go ahead if he gets another contract. Neither one is likely to starve to death.

DukieInBrasil
10-07-2018, 04:20 PM

this has been brought up before. It kinda depends on how you look at it. Kyle leads LT in almost all counting stats, largely due to a few seasons there where he played pretty well. It's just that Kyle's good years were bunched near the beginning whereas LT's best years have come more recently. Lance even has one extra year of NBA seniority on Kyle (well, 2 now that Kyle is not in the NBA anymore).
However, LT may very well end up with better counting stats in addition to better advanced stats. Kyle leads in pts by about 500, which LT could certainly reach. Plus, longevity and importance with age are important factors that would probably make a pretty convincing argument for LT having the better career, even if only counting up until '17-'18.

Furniture
10-07-2018, 11:20 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/JasmineLWatkins/status/1049064981365514240

Gota love it...

Son of Mojo
10-08-2018, 12:08 AM

Gota love it...

I do?? Why? :/

JasonEvans
10-08-2018, 08:13 AM

Gota love it...

The best part about the Kings getting all hype before the game is that they went out and get absolutely destroyed by the Warriors. I know it is preseason, but when you are losing by 30+ points... at halftime... whew.

-Jason "the earlier twitter video of Harry's highlights from that game showed him taking at least two looooong 2-point jumpers. That's the worst shot in the league unless you are a jumpshooter of the caliber of JJ/Kyrie/CP3" Evans

JBDuke
10-08-2018, 08:43 AM
The best part about the Kings getting all hype before the game is that they went out and get absolutely destroyed by the Warriors. I know it is preseason, but when you are losing by 30+ points... at halftime... whew.

-Jason "the earlier twitter video of Harry's highlights from that game showed him taking at least two looooong 2-point jumpers. That's the worst shot in the league unless you are a jumpshooter of the caliber of JJ/Kyrie/CP3" Evans

I suspect Harry and his coaches are still exploring what he CAN do. What he SHOULD do is the next step...

Natty_B
10-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Great article on Okafor:

https://theathletic.com/576275/2018/10/09/anxiety-depression-had-jahlil-okafor-in-a-dark-place-but-hes-come-a-long-way/

Billy Dat
10-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Great article on Okafor:

https://theathletic.com/576275/2018/10/09/anxiety-depression-had-jahlil-okafor-in-a-dark-place-but-hes-come-a-long-way/

Very good sign that he is taking responsibility for his own issues. Trying to grow up isn't easy, at any age, including middle age!

timmy c
10-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Nice article about Ingram's growth as a player.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2799723-the-metamorphosis-of-brandon-ingram

He was a reluctant superstar to begin with." —Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski

Billy Dat
10-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Sub Zero is still a very confident dude
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/austin-rivers-explains-why-he-and-the-wizards-are-heavily-slept-on-and-why-his-dogs-hate-d-c/

sagegrouse
10-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Sub Zero is still a very confident dude
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/austin-rivers-explains-why-he-and-the-wizards-are-heavily-slept-on-and-why-his-dogs-hate-d-c/

Headline: the dogs hate DC, where they are confined to a balcony, as opposed to their yard in LA.

JasonEvans
10-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Headline: the dogs hate DC, where they are confined to a balcony, as opposed to their yard in LA.

You are set to make $12.65 million this year, Austin. Buy some land for your dogs to run around.

-Jason "Austin is a free agent after this season, so he may not want any land if he sees DC as a temporary stop" Evans

jimsumner
10-10-2018, 02:10 PM
You are set to make $12.65 million this year, Austin. Buy some land for your dogs to run around.

-Jason "Austin is a free agent after this season, so he may not want any land if he sees DC as a temporary stop" Evans

He could buy each of them a farm upstate.

DavidBenAkiva
10-10-2018, 02:50 PM
He could buy each of them a farm upstate.

The Northeast is well past the point of a hot commodity. No land remains in the District.

flyingdutchdevil
10-10-2018, 04:15 PM
The Northeast is well past the point of a hot commodity. No land remains in the District.

Where are you from that DC is considered the Northeast?

elvis14
10-10-2018, 05:10 PM

Well, it's north of Va, so, yeah, Northeast.

NSDukeFan
10-10-2018, 05:29 PM

Isn’t DC the Southwest? It is to me. 😃

MChambers
10-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Have you been to DC? I live in a house in the District with a nice if modest yard. Mr. Rivers could buy in my neighborhood and not hurt his cash flow much at all. And his dogs would be much happier.

devildeac
10-10-2018, 06:04 PM
Isn’t DC the Southwest? It is to me. 😃

Well, one can fly Southwest to DC. (In fact, you can fly Southwest to 99 destinations.:o)

JetpackJesus
10-10-2018, 06:55 PM
ESPN has a nice piece about Kyrie's amazing ball handling.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/24504654/kyrie-irving-art-sick-handles-nba

DavidBenAkiva
10-10-2018, 09:29 PM

The quadrants, my friends. NW, NE, SW, SE. Should have used the acronyms...

DukieInBrasil
10-10-2018, 11:45 PM
I haven't seen the stats for the whole game, but there was a stretch over the 2nd and 3rd quarters in the Bulls game in which Wendell Carter was the worst player on the floor, missing shots, turning it over, not being ready for passes, but he did get an Oboard, but missed the putback.
Jabari was active when he was in, but didn't seem to get much done.

pfrduke
10-10-2018, 11:49 PM
I know it's only preseason (and half of a preseason game at that), but if this is what four rounds of Lakers-Warriors is going to be like this year, I'm all in. Ingram has brought the ball up and initiated the offense on several occasions, and the Lakers are RUNNING - transition alley-oops off of made baskets, constant pressure once they have the ball, and Lebron. Really fun to watch.

pfrduke
10-10-2018, 11:50 PM
I haven't seen the stats for the whole game, but there was a stretch over the 2nd and 3rd quarters in the Bulls game in which Wendell Carter was the worst player on the floor, missing shots, turning it over, not being ready for passes, but he did get an Oboard, but missed the putback.
Jabari was active when he was in, but didn't seem to get much done.

Jabari had a nice first half (13 points; focus of the second unit on offense) - didn't see the second.

fraggler
10-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Jabari had a nice first half (13 points; focus of the second unit on offense) - didn't see the second.

He looked a little like late-career Melo out there (the good and the bad).

DavidBenAkiva
10-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Is preseason basketball even worth following? It's nice to see highlights. But it's a warm-up. Show me what Jabari, Wendell, and the rest can do once the games count for something.

sagegrouse
10-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Howard Beck, long-time reporter of the NBA, has an extensive article on Kyrie (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2799951-its-not-what-kyrie-irving-sees-its-how-he-sees-it?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial) up on Bleacher Report.

Opening passage, on preparing for the dance scene in Uncle Drew:

"He's like: 'I'm good. I don't need a choreographer. I can dance. I promise you guys, I can dance,'" executive producer John Fischer recalled.

But Fischer and his co-executive producer, Marty Bowen, were worried. They'd rented a nightclub in downtown Atlanta and filled it with hundreds of extras. Timing was tight.

"If he can't dance," Bowen said that night, "we're screwed."

They brought in Kyrie's body double, just in case he flopped. It was well after midnight when cameras finally rolled. Lights flashed, beats pulsed, and one by one the other players hit the dance floor. Irving was last.

"And he just steps up and nails it," Fischer said. "The man can dance. He's just a natural performer."

So make that two things the filmmakers learned that night, the second being: Kyrie Irving is profoundly unconventional. Irving thinks differently, speaks differently, plays differently and takes paths that others don't even see, both on and off the court. It's what makes him great. It's what makes him maddening.

Also, he really, really likes messing with people.

The dance routine? Irving had it down cold, long before he walked on set. He'd studied the choreographer's video for 50 minutes. He could have rehearsed and calmed everyone's nerves. He chose suspense for the fun of it.

fraggler
10-11-2018, 08:48 AM
Is preseason basketball even worth following? It's nice to see highlights. But it's a warm-up. Show me what Jabari, Wendell, and the rest can do once the games count for something.

I don't need games to count to enjoy watching basketball, in particular Duke guys. That said, Indiana played their rotation guys for the bulk of the game so it was a reasonable glimpse at what the young Bulls could do against decent competition.

jimsumner
10-11-2018, 11:38 AM

It matters a lot if you're a marginal player trying to make a squad or a second-teamer trying to move up in the rotation or a new player trying to mesh with the holdovers.

I've always compared pre-season games to minor league baseball. It doesn't matter all that much who wins the games. But player development matters very much.

flyingdutchdevil
10-11-2018, 11:42 AM
It matters a lot if you're a marginal player trying to make a squad or a second-teamer trying to move up in the rotation or a new player trying to mesh with the holdovers.

I've always compared pre-season games to minor league baseball. It doesn't matter all that much who wins the games. But player development matters very much.

But according to many on DBR, playing time doesn't matter for player development; practice does ;)

I'm very much with you. Preseason is really important for the Amile Jeffersons of the basketball world.

Billy Dat
10-11-2018, 12:42 PM

I think it gets a ton of attention because of all the pent-up offseason demand, much like summer league. One unique aspect of it which occurred to me watching an OT game is that it represents, perhaps, the only opportunity for back of the bench players to play crunch time minutes in an NBA game. I was watching Knicks v Wizards at the start of preseason and the guys on the floor at the end will never sniff the floor at the end of a real close NBA game. I felt good and bad for them at the same time.

It's also the only games where the first quarter is all that matters because that's when most of the starters play and the coach is trying out rotations. Most of the rest of the game are, as others have said, tryouts for guys trying to survive the final cuts.

Tom B.
10-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Well, it's north of Va, so, yeah, Northeast.

I've always thought of the DC area as the extreme Northwest, like Alaska.

(Hi, Gary. :rolleyes:)

Tom B.
10-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Apparently Lakerland is going insane over this sequence from the end of their most recent preseason game where Brandon Ingram's length is on full display. Watch the entire clip... that's some scary stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZZLs8GByfk

Best part of that is Lebron's reactions on the sideline.

JasonEvans
10-11-2018, 02:13 PM

When Ingram steals the ball, watch the Laker bench go insane. Half of them start running up the court with him. You probably could have called a Tech on like 5 guys in that moment. Ha!

elvis14
10-11-2018, 03:52 PM

When the video first starts, it's showing Ingram guarding the inbound and they are talking about the Kings leading scorers: Bagley and Giles #BrotherhoodNBA

JetpackJesus
10-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Howard Beck, long-time reporter of the NBA, has an extensive article on Kyrie (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2799951-its-not-what-kyrie-irving-sees-its-how-he-sees-it?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial) up on Bleacher Report.

Opening passage, on preparing for the dance scene in Uncle Drew:

The Kyrie entry is great. B/R also has an article in that series about Ingram: The Metamorphosis of Brandon Ingram (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2799723-the-metamorphosis-of-brandon-ingram).

EDIT: I see someone linked to it on 10/9. Apologies for the repeat.

BigZ
10-11-2018, 11:45 PM
Grayson seems to be playing great.

DukieInBrasil
10-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Grayson seems to be playing great.

Yeah, Grayson with another nice efficient night, scoring 14 on 5-9 FGs. In pre-season at least, he seems to be a good backup to D. Mitchell.
Bagley and Giles combined for 39 minutes, 29 pts, and and 21 rebs in the loss to Utah.
Frank Jackson also had a nice night for NOLA, scoring 8 on 3-7 shooting, 2-4 from 3.

drummerdevil
10-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Justise Winslow and the Miami Heat have reached an extension worth 3yrs/39 million, per Woj https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1050900923420164097

DukieInBrasil
10-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Justise Winslow and the Miami Heat have reached an extension worth 3yrs/39 million, per Woj https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1050900923420164097

git 'im while he's cheap! If $13M/yr is cheap. His defense has the potential to be all-NBA Defensive Team level, and his 3pt shot improved a bunch last year. If he could figure out how to finish at the rim 50% better he'd be near super-star caliber. Playing the 3&D role to perfection could lead him to a long and profitable career.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-13-2018, 10:09 PM

The third year of that deal is a team option. I think the Heat paid a slight premium in order to maintain that flexibility, which I think was wise. Justise could well outperform that contract, but if he doesn't, Miami isn't locked into anything that's going to hurt them long term. And Winslow provides so many different things, his value floor is still pretty high.

I'm sure this is the sort of deal Miami wishes it signed with Dion Waiters.

phaedrus
10-15-2018, 02:19 PM
It will be hard to compensate for missing him at Duke, but I'm hoping to watch a lot of Harry Giles highlights over the next few years. There's a good compilation of his preseason assists here: https://deadspin.com/the-sacramento-kings-are-going-to-be-apocalyptically-ba-1829759015

dukelifer
10-15-2018, 02:58 PM
It will be hard to compensate for missing him at Duke, but I'm hoping to watch a lot of Harry Giles highlights over the next few years. There's a good compilation of his preseason assists here: https://deadspin.com/the-sacramento-kings-are-going-to-be-apocalyptically-ba-1829759015

Happy for the kid. I was not sure he would ever get his confidence back. He still has very fragile knees and is a bit stiff, but we are beginning to see the awesome talent that he possess.

BigZ
10-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Who will have the best nba career from the 2015 team?

DukieInBrasil
10-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Who will have the best nba career from the 2015 team?

So, we've got Jah, Tyus, Justise, Grayson, Quinn, Amile, MP3, and Semi to choose from?
So far Jah has had the best single season out of that group, though he hasn't gotten much love since. Justise has had the best "improvement arc" so far, and just made the most money out of that group. Tyus is highly beloved by the MIN fan base, or at least they want him to play more than the coach is willing (and then they signed D-Rose to lessen T-Jones' role on the team? savage). Quinn is the only one on the list with a championship! MP3 has already far surpassed expectations by even playing in a single game, let alone play in 2 separate seasons and score a total of 54 pts. Semi had a surprisingly good year as a rookie, in that he contributed at all, which was beyond expectations when he left Duke. Only Amile and Grayson have yet to play in the NBA.
My bet is on Winslow having the best NBA career of the bunch due to his athleticism, versatility and improvement shown so far. Out of that whole group, he's also the one that seems to have the closest to what could be called star power. In a different era, maybe Jah could have been a star, but today's game isn't for him. Yet if he could develop a respectable (33%+) 3pt shot, the story on him could change quite a bit. Tyus seems to be destined to be a back-up PG, maybe a starter as he gains experience. Ditto for Quinn. Amile and MP3 seem destined to be back-up bigs. Semi seems like a "poor man's" Winslow, 3&D all the way. Grayson could blow people away, a la his teammate D-Mitch, or he could drift in to that mosaic of guys with great talent but who just didn't have enough of "it" to make it in the show, a la Jimmer.

sagegrouse
10-15-2018, 07:45 PM
So, we've got Jah, Tyus, Justise, Grayson, Quinn, Amile, MP3, and Semi to choose from?
So far Jah has had the best single season out of that group, though he hasn't gotten much love since. Justise has had the best "improvement arc" so far, and just made the most money out of that group. Tyus is highly beloved by the MIN fan base, or at least they want him to play more than the coach is willing (and then they signed D-Rose to lessen T-Jones' role on the team? savage). Quinn is the only one on the list with a championship! MP3 has already far surpassed expectations by even playing in a single game, let alone play in 2 separate seasons and score a total of 54 pts. Semi had a surprisingly good year as a rookie, in that he contributed at all, which was beyond expectations when he left Duke. Only Amile and Grayson have yet to play in the NBA.
My bet is on Winslow having the best NBA career of the bunch due to his athleticism, versatility and improvement shown so far. Out of that whole group, he's also the one that seems to have the closest to what could be called star power. In a different era, maybe Jah could have been a star, but today's game isn't for him. Yet if he could develop a respectable (33%+) 3pt shot, the story on him could change quite a bit. Tyus seems to be destined to be a back-up PG, maybe a starter as he gains experience. Ditto for Quinn. Amile and MP3 seem destined to be back-up bigs. Semi seems like a "poor man's" Winslow, 3&D all the way. Grayson could blow people away, a la his teammate D-Mitch, or he could drift in to that mosaic of guys with great talent but who just didn't have enough of "it" to make it in the show, a la Jimmer.

The answer also, to bluntly introduce dollar signs, is who gets a lucrative second contract? The Chief Justise is the only one sure to make the honor roll. School is still in session for everybody else.

jimsumner
10-15-2018, 07:55 PM
Interesting question.

Grayson is the wildcard here. All of the rest have been beaten down to one extent or the other by the reality that there are a lot of pretty good basketball players floating around.

Grayson has not.

Yet.

gep
10-16-2018, 12:57 AM
Interesting question.

Grayson is the wildcard here. All of the rest have been beaten down to one extent or the other by the reality that there are a lot of pretty good basketball players floating around.

Grayson has not.

Yet.

and I, for one, am pulling so very hard for Grayson. I want to see him succeed. And I also always like Coach Quin:cool:

Troublemaker
10-16-2018, 08:13 AM
The NBA season starts tonight.

Philly at Boston (Celtics favored by 4.5)

OKC at GSW (Warriors favored by 12.5)

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the first game with all the Dukies involved.

Troublemaker
10-16-2018, 08:27 AM
Incidentally, don't be surprised if the Celtics look average or even bad tonight. It's going to take some time to re-integrate Kyrie and Hayward back into the team and to re-establish roles for Jayson and Brown. I know some of us are now Boston Blue Devils aka Duke Celtics fans due to the (obviously) high Duke content of that franchise and the chance that this could be the next great NBA team after the Warriors. But it might not look so good on opening night. Especially against a Sixers team that has playoff revenge on its mind and is also competing to be the next dynasty after the Warriors (and also has pretty high Duke content itself). (It's quite possible I have oodles of monopoly money on Philly to cover the 2.5 in the first half.)

NSDukeFan
10-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Incidentally, don't be surprised if the Celtics look average or even bad tonight. It's going to take some time to re-integrate Kyrie and Hayward back into the team and to re-establish roles for Jayson and Brown. I know some of us are now Boston Blue Devils aka Duke Celtics fans due to the (obviously) high Duke content of that franchise and the chance that this could be the next great NBA team after the Warriors. But it might not look so good on opening night. Especially against a Sixers team that has playoff revenge on its mind and is also competing to be the next dynasty after the Warriors (and also has pretty high Duke content itself). (It's quite possible I have oodles of monopoly money on Philly to cover the 2.5 in the first half.)

I’ll be surprised if the Celtics look bad, because they have Brad Stevens.

sagegrouse
10-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Post national NBA writer Tim Bontemps surveyed the NBA and came up with a list of the Top 100 players (https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/nba-top-100-players-2018/?utm_term=.260d8b010fcc) "according to their overall talent level." It features five from Duke:

24. Kyrie
35. Jayson Tatum
72. JJ
88. Brandon Ingram
100. Wendell Carter

Credits to all. Carter! Deemed best player of the summer season. Wow!!

nmduke2001
10-16-2018, 02:56 PM
Good Jayson Tatum article...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24989322/thrust-spotlight-boston-jayson-tatum-ready-prime

cato
10-16-2018, 03:16 PM
Good Jayson Tatum article...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24989322/thrust-spotlight-boston-jayson-tatum-ready-prime

Indeed it is. I am so proud to have Jayson Tatum in the NBA representing Duke.

BandAlum83
10-16-2018, 04:43 PM
The NBA season starts tonight.

Philly at Boston (Celtics favored by 4.5)

OKC at GSW (Warriors favored by 12.5)

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the first game with all the Dukies involved.

Is there anywhere I can find a consolidated listing, by team, of Dukies in the NBA?

JasonEvans
10-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Is there anywhere I can find a consolidated listing, by team, of Dukies in the NBA?

Basketball Reference says these are the active Blue Devils (https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.fcgi?college=duke) in the NBA:

https://image.ibb.co/eFcLT0/Capture.png

-Jason "Marshall is listed even though I think he is currently looking for a team. Also, this list does not include the 5 Duke rookies: Marvin, Wendell, Grayson, Gary, and Trevon" Evans

BandAlum83
10-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Basketball Reference says these are the active Blue Devils (https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.fcgi?college=duke) in the NBA:

Thanks, Jason.

I suppose I can take a few minutes to do the research and list which teams they play for. I can sort it then and post it back here. I just haven't spent any time to keep up or know what teams they are with off the top of my head.

JasonEvans
10-16-2018, 05:05 PM
I'm doing a NBA fantasy league this year for the first time. We had our draft over the weekend. 12 teams, 13 players per team is 156 total players.

This is not a league with a bunch of other Duke guys. It is just some friends from around the country. So, when I tell you about the draft, please know that there was no bias going on.

We drafted exactly one UNC guy, Harrison Barnes. We drafted 10 Dukies (Tatum, Kyrie, Hood, Ingram, Parker, JJ, Rivers, Justise, Marvin, and Wendell).

-Jason "just an interesting little factoid..." Evans

cato
10-16-2018, 05:08 PM

-Jason "Marshall is listed even though I think he is currently looking for a team. Also, this list does not include the 5 Duke rookies: Marvin, Wendell, Grayson, Gary, and Trevon" Evans

Look at Luol. I missed where he ended up back with Tom Thibodeau in Minnesota?!?

One of three Dukies from the Aughts, along with JJ and Josh.

Well done Mr. Deng.

ETA: or is Josh done? I looked for where he played, and saw that he was waived by the Mavs.

dukelifer
10-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Look at Luol. I missed where he ended up back with Tom Thibodeau in Minnesota?!?

One of three Dukies from the Aughts, along with JJ and Josh.

Well done Mr. Deng.

ETA: or is Josh done? I looked for where he played, and saw that he was waived by the Mavs.

I am pretty sure Singler is out.

Troublemaker
10-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Thanks, Jason.

I suppose I can take a few minutes to do the research and list which teams they play for. I can sort it then and post it back here. I just haven't spent any time to keep up or know what teams they are with off the top of my head.

Article on the DBR front page will be helpful: https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/16/17983100/duke-blue-devils-nba-national-basketball-association-the-brotherhood

jimsumner
10-16-2018, 07:34 PM
I am pretty sure Singler is out.

Singler is playing in Europe.

I suppose he could came back.

Hopefully, Amile Jefferson will see some league time.

I'm not sure the status of Gerald Henderson. Still a free agent and when I talked to him this summer, he seemed pretty sure he was going to be signing with someone.

So, fingers crossed on that one.

JNort
10-16-2018, 10:18 PM
Tatum off to a hot start.
Kyrie not so much.
JJ being steady per usual

Furniture
10-16-2018, 10:28 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/celtics/status/1052382467175329792

Jayson.....

cato
10-17-2018, 12:09 AM
Article on the DBR front page will be helpful: https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/16/17983100/duke-blue-devils-nba-national-basketball-association-the-brotherhood

BlazinDW on the font page. Worth a click.

NSDukeFan
10-17-2018, 06:52 AM

You left me in suspense. Did he choose Helvetica, Times, Sans Serif, Trade Gothic?

Troublemaker
10-17-2018, 08:22 AM
I’ll be surprised if the Celtics look bad, because they have Brad Stevens.

Good call, NS. While Kyrie and Hayward weren't themselves yet, the Celtics defense had the Sixers discombobulated. Not sure all the postups from Philly were the wisest strategy.

From the Duke perspective, Jayson was a stud and led Boston in scoring. He's so good at creating space for his jumper (midrange and three). Hopefully Kyrie shakes off the rust soon.

JJ came off the bench and played 30 minutes. He was only 2 for 8 from three and needed to hit a couple more to make it a game.

JasonEvans
10-17-2018, 08:48 AM

Donald's list...

Atlanta Hawks - Miles Plumlee, Grant Hill (part-owner)
Boston Celtics - Kyrie Irving, Jayson Tatum
Brooklyn Nets - Trajan Langdon (assistant general manager)
Chicago Bulls - Wendell Carter, Jr., Jabari Parker
Denver Nuggets - Mason Plumlee
Detroit Pistons - Luke Kennard
Golden State Warriors - Quinn Cook
Indiana Pacers - David McClure (player development)
Los Angeles Lakers - Brandon Ingram
Miami Heat - Justise Winslow, Shane Battier (basketball development/analytics)
Milwaukee Bucks - Trevon Duval (2-way player)
Minnesota Timberwolves - Luol Deng, Tyus Jones
New Orleans Pelicans - Frank Jackson, Jahlil Okafor
New York Knicks - Lance Thomas
Orlando Magic - Amile Jefferson (2-way player)
Philadelphia 76ers - J.J. Redick, Elton Brand (general manager)
Portland Trailblazers - Seth Curry, Gary Trent, Jr.
Sacramento Kings - Marvin Bagley III, Harry GIles
San Antonio Spurs - Chip Engelland (assistant coach)
Utah Jazz - Grayson Allen, Quin Snyder (head coach)
Washington Wizards - Austin Rivers

That's 21 of the 30 teams in the league with a Duke connection. Remember when "Duke doesn't produce good pros" was a thing?

DukieInBrasil
10-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Good call, NS. While Kyrie and Hayward weren't themselves yet, the Celtics defense had the Sixers discombobulated. Not sure all the postups from Philly were the wisest strategy.

From the Duke perspective, Jayson was a stud and led Boston in scoring and rebounding. He's so good at creating space for his jumper (midrange and three). Hopefully Kyrie, who led the team in assists, shakes off the rust soon.

JJ came off the bench and played 30 minutes. He was only 2 for 8 from three and needed to hit a couple more to make it a game.

so Duke alums led Boston in scoring , rebounding and assists, while defeating PHI, whose bench scoring was led by JJ Redick.
In the other game, Quinn scored 3 pts + 1 ast, on 1-2 FG 1-1 3s.

BandAlum83
10-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Thanks for this!

BandAlum83
10-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Donald's list...

Atlanta Hawks - Miles Plumlee, Grant Hill (part-owner)
Boston Celtics - Kyrie Irving, Jayson Tatum
Brooklyn Nets - Trajan Langdon (assistant general manager)
Chicago Bulls - Wendell Carter, Jr., Jabari Parker
Denver Nuggets - Mason Plumlee
Detroit Pistons - Luke Kennard
Golden State Warriors - Quinn Cook
Indiana Pacers - David McClure (player development)
Los Angeles Lakers - Brandon Ingram
Miami Heat - Justise Winslow, Shane Battier (basketball development/analytics)
Milwaukee Bucks - Trevon Duval (2-way player)
Minnesota Timberwolves - Luol Deng, Tyus Jones
New Orleans Pelicans - Frank Jackson, Jahlil Okafor
New York Knicks - Lance Thomas
Orlando Magic - Amile Jefferson (2-way player)
Philadelphia 76ers - J.J. Redick, Elton Brand (general manager)
Portland Trailblazers - Seth Curry, Gary Trent, Jr.
Sacramento Kings - Marvin Bagley III, Harry GIles
San Antonio Spurs - Chip Engelland (assistant coach)
Utah Jazz - Grayson Allen, Quin Snyder (head coach)
Washington Wizards - Austin Rivers

That's 21 of the 30 teams in the league with a Duke connection. Remember when "Duke doesn't produce good pros" was a thing?

Is pinning this to the top of the thread possible? Or anywhere else where it can be easily accessed for reference as we go through a loooong NBA season?

UrinalCake
10-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Blazin’s list omitted Lindsey Harding, who I believe is a scout with the 76’ers.

DarkstarWahoo
10-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Tatum reminds me of nothing more than a modern-day Tracy McGrady. Of course, he's already had more playoff success than T-Mac ever did.

Tripping William
10-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Donald's list...

Utah Jazz - Grayson Allen, Quin Snyder (head coach), Antonio Lang (assistant coach)

FIFY. :o

NB: When I abbreviated "assistant" to something with ending in " 't ," I got wankerized . . . .

AGDukesky
10-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Tatum reminds me of nothing more than a modern-day Tracy McGrady. Of course, he's already had more playoff success than T-Mac ever did.

This reads like you are trying to insult both Tatum and McGrady, which seems odd...

DarkstarWahoo
10-17-2018, 03:06 PM
This reads like you are trying to insult both Tatum and McGrady, which seems odd...

No insult to Tatum at all! I'm a Celtics fan, and T-Mac was awesome. He just couldn't win in the playoffs.

AGDukesky
10-17-2018, 03:25 PM
No insult to Tatum at all! I'm a Celtics fan, and T-Mac was awesome. He just couldn't win in the playoffs.

Oh ok. It was the “nothing more than” phrasing that sounded negative to me.

DarkstarWahoo
10-17-2018, 03:30 PM
Oh ok. It was the “nothing more than” phrasing that sounded negative to me.

"No one" rather than "nothing" would have been better. That was what I meant.

DukieInBrasil
10-17-2018, 04:04 PM

nothing more than a Hall of Famer? Yeah, i'd hate to be compared to only one of the best players of all times.

SF Dukie
10-18-2018, 02:22 AM
Bagley and Giles scored their first NBA points (6 and 2) in limited minutes against the Jazz tonight. Grayson didn't play.

AGDukesky
10-18-2018, 06:39 AM
Pretty underwhelming day for former Duke players last night.

accfanfrom1970
10-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Pretty underwhelming day for former Duke players last night.

I think we will be seeing Grayson on highlight after highlight as the season progresses. The really cool thing is he has Quinn looking out for him. I think that's a match, well made made with K in mind. From a guy who grew up in NJ watching Spanrakal, it's cool knowing Utah has it.

Truth&Justise
10-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Excited for the new season to be underway!

I know in years past there was a site set up by Grad_devil that would show the previous night's stats for all Duke guys in the NBA. I believe it was http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html.

I really loved checking that each day, but the site seems to be down. Anyone know what the deal is? Or if there's any alternative option?

grad_devil
10-18-2018, 11:42 AM
I know in years past there was a site set up by Grad_devil that would show the previous night's stats for all Duke guys in the NBA. I believe it was http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html.

The URL changed a few years ago: http://huckleberry.mhu.edu/devilStats.html

It doesn't update in real time, but it's typically correct by the next morning. I wrote it for my own usage, but I'm hoping a few of you find it useful as well!

jimsumner
10-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Bagley and Giles scored their first NBA points (6 and 2) in limited minutes against the Jazz tonight. Grayson didn't play.

Frank Jackson also made his NBA debut. Two scoreless minutes.

Still, if we divide the human race into two groups of people, those who have played in a regular-season NBA game and those who have not, then Bagley, Giles and Jackson went from group two to group one last night.

arnie
10-18-2018, 12:22 PM
The URL changed a few years ago: http://huckleberry.mhu.edu/devilStats.html

It doesn't update in real time, but it's typically correct by the next morning. I wrote it for my own usage, but I'm hoping a few of you find it useful as well!

I’ve been using this site for years, beats poring over NBA box scores. Noticed this morning that Bagley was not included. Guess it takes a few days at start to include all the players.

grad_devil
10-18-2018, 12:51 PM
I’ve been using this site for years, beats poring over NBA box scores. Noticed this morning that Bagley was not included. Guess it takes a few days at start to include all the players.

Thanks, Arnie.

I usually have to double check on how the site I scrape the data from displays some of the names. Especially troublesome are names with a suffix (III, Jr., etc.), which is problematic for our crop of 1st year players (MBIII, Wendell Carter Jr., Gary Trent Jr.) I added Marvin to the site, and will try to remember to check for Wendell and Gary, after their first games.

MartyClark
10-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Thanks, Arnie.

I usually have to double check on how the site I scrape the data from displays some of the names. Especially troublesome are names with a suffix (III, Jr., etc.), which is problematic for our crop of 1st year players (MBIII, Wendell Carter Jr., Gary Trent Jr.) I added Marvin to the site, and will try to remember to check for Wendell and Gary, after their first games.

Grad devil - thanks for your work on this. It's the first site I hit every morning during the season.

arnie
10-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Grad devil - thanks for your work on this. It's the first site I hit every morning during the season.

Yes, if I didn’t really thank you before, I have now. I’m in the same routine as Marty Clark since newspaper delivery was replaced with an IPad.

DavidBenAkiva
10-19-2018, 09:03 AM
A sure sign that I am not crazy is seeing everyone else that goes to the Devils in the NBA page by Grad Devil. I am among my people.

Noticed that Jabari is on the site today but Wendell Carter, Jr. is not. Wendell started for the Bulls in their opener against Philadelphia. Wendell finished with 8 pts., 3 rebs, 3 assists, and a block in his NBA debut. He had a tough assignment guarding Joel Embiid in his NBA debut and showed out pretty well. His defense is ahead of his offensive game at the moment. As a Bulls fan, I am excited to see what he can become.

phaedrus
10-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Excited to see that Seth Curry played his first game in 18 months after missing all of last season with an injury. He scored 5 points in 15 minutes in Portland's win over Lebron and the Lakers.

nmduke2001
10-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Poor Mason got dunked on by a guy that doesn’t need to jump.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=25012796&lang=en

grad_devil
10-19-2018, 10:42 AM
...Noticed that Jabari is on the site today but Wendell Carter, Jr. is not...

Thanks for the heads-up. Wendell fell victim to the 'Jr.' I had appended to his name, which I've since removed. He now shows up. I preemptively removed the 'Jr.' from Gary Trent, so when he gets his name in a box score (not last night, unfortunately - he's listed as 'inactive'?) he should show up as well.

http://huckleberry.mhu.edu/devilStats.html

DavidBenAkiva
10-19-2018, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. Wendell fell victim to the 'Jr.' I had appended to his name, which I've since removed. He now shows up. I preemptively removed the 'Jr.' from Gary Trent, so when he gets his name in a box score (not last night, unfortunately - he's listed as 'inactive'?) he should show up as well.

http://huckleberry.mhu.edu/devilStats.html

Awesome! Thanks.

arnie
10-20-2018, 09:56 PM
JJ with 31, 8 3-pointers and game winning 3 with 17 secs in game.

BigZ
10-21-2018, 12:59 AM
Ingram finally showing some fire.

Wahoo2000
10-21-2018, 01:08 AM

I *like* Ingram, so don't get me wrong, but that's not "fire", that's just a bad look. Rather "Ron Artest"-ish.

Talk trash, play physical, etc. is fine, but not that sequence. Shove a guy 5-6 seconds after a whistle? Get in a ref's face and basically *ask* to be kicked out? Sprint halfway across the court to throw a punch at someone? Bad look. Again, I am a fan of Ingram, but that was an AWFUL 15-20 seconds for him.

subzero02
10-21-2018, 01:09 AM

He just punched Paul from 20 ft away... he might be in the wrong sport. I agree that it wasn't a good look for Ingram. I have to feel that something(s) else transpired during the game to inspire that reaction.

BigZ
10-21-2018, 01:23 AM
In my defense my post was after the push to Harden but before he came back and punched CP0

dukelifer
10-21-2018, 07:18 AM
I *like* Ingram, so don't get me wrong, but that's not "fire", that's just a bad look. Rather "Ron Artest"-ish.

Talk trash, play physical, etc. is fine, but not that sequence. Shove a guy 5-6 seconds after a whistle? Get in a ref's face and basically *ask* to be kicked out? Sprint halfway across the court to throw a punch at someone? Bad look. Again, I am a fan of Ingram, but that was an AWFUL 15-20 seconds for him.

He will pay a price for it. A bit out of character for a kid who holds his emotions in check. We will see if he gets a rep for it.

tbyers11
10-21-2018, 09:21 AM

I have no problem with the initial shove on Harden. He shouldn't do it, but it was a natural reaction to the play where Harden initiated the contact with the stiff-arm AND got the foul call. Harden gets away with SO many plays like that. It's a technical on Ingram but no big deal.

Now jawing at a ref (although I think he was jawing at Harden and the ref got in the middle) and coming back into the 2nd fight from afar to throw a punch were not good looks for Ingram.
------
Now how about that second fight.

CP3 staring the second kerfuffle with Rondo by poking him in the face and them claiming that he did so because Rondo spit in his face. Now, the Lakers claim (and the video evidence appears to agree) that there was never any spitting. Claiming spitting that never happened to make yourself look better would truly be a Chris Paul level punk move. Somebody needs to get Julius Hodge's opinion on the fight

House G
10-21-2018, 09:49 AM
JJ with 31, 8 3-pointers and game winning 3 with 17 secs in game.

Never gets old:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UiK-eCs51Fk

HereBeforeCoachK
10-21-2018, 10:16 AM
In my defense my post was after the push to Harden but before he came back and punched CP0

When I watched that the second time, I'm wondering why the initial foul was on Ingram. Harden clearly lowers his shoulder then leads with his shoulder and elbow to initiate the contact, and to do so violently. I don't think a defensive foul should be called when the o player initiates, which happens a lot.

arnie
10-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Never gets old:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UiK-eCs51Fk

He might get significant minutes if he played on the 2018-2019 Duke team.😏

DukieInBrasil
10-21-2018, 11:42 AM
When I watched that the second time, I'm wondering why the initial foul was on Ingram. Harden clearly lowers his shoulder then leads with his shoulder and elbow to initiate the contact, and to do so violently. I don't think a defensive foul should be called when the o player initiates, which happens a lot.

it's the main reason Harden is able to have any success in the NBA. He creates an offensive foul, defensive player gets called for it, Harden gets FTs.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-21-2018, 11:46 AM
it's the main reason Harden is able to have any success in the NBA. He creates an offensive foul, defensive player gets called for it, Harden gets FTs.

I agree with that, and he clearly expects it. To him, he was ripped off because it was not continuation.....but that was an offensive foul. That move will get you cut on the concrete in pick up.

JasonEvans
10-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Here is video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JgRuYEePC4

I have Ingram on my fantasy team... he's gonna miss at least a couple games, I fear.

gocanes0506
10-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Here is video

I have Ingram on my fantasy team... he's gonna miss at least a couple games, I fear.

Should miss more than a couple. Not even involved in the incident, no provocation, just come in throwing. I hope its 8-12 games. Although it’ll be 3-5.

devildeac
10-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Here is video

Damn, I got no hound in the fracas but any NFL running back would be proud to have Harden's forearm shiver in his skill set.

That being said, BI was waaaay over the line with his actions-both of them.

BD80
10-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Damn, I got no hound in the fracas but any NFL running back would be proud to have Harden's forearm shiver in his skill set.

That being said, BI was waaaay over the line with his actions-both of them.

Maybe CP3 had been taking liberties with BI's private area, he's been known to do that.

How are CP3and Bronny so close that CP3 in bronny jr's godfather?

DukieInBrasil
10-21-2018, 06:01 PM
I mostly follow the NBA to keep up with ex-Duke players (woulda said alums but the majority have only played one year these days). As such, Boston has been my favorite team since i was a kid, and that has only been enhanced by adding 3 ex-Duke players to their roster. I haven't had a least favorite team, until now. That is the Houston Rockets. With BOTH Chris Paul and James Harden, it's a pretty easy choice. I detest the way James Harden plays, or better put, the way refs call everything his way. I detest Chris Paul, well, for being Chris Paul.

gocanes0506
10-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Well spot on for Ingram. Said 3-5 and he got 4.

Absolutely shameful for the NBA to give Rondo that light of a penalty. Spit on a man and throw punches and 3 is all you get?

nmduke2001
10-21-2018, 08:49 PM

The main reasons he has success are his incredible handle and his above NBA average shooting. The ability to draw fouls just makes him less likable to people that already don’t like him.

Duke79UNLV77
10-21-2018, 09:28 PM
The main reasons he has success are his incredible handle and his above NBA average shooting. The ability to draw fouls just makes him less likable to people that already don’t like him.

Watching the Rockets now, I just saw Harden throw an elbow on Beverly, flail, and get the foul call. He gets the type of favorable officiating in the NBA that Hansblahblah got in college. He’s got real talent, but I don’t think he’d be in MVP discussions without the favorable officiating. Maybe, his normal big drop off in postseason is due to a more balanced whistle.

DukieInBrasil
10-21-2018, 10:55 PM

he shoots FTs at an insane rate, largely due to the b.s. fouls that he gets. People know they have to back off b.c of the driving and that any contact will be called a foul. That makes it easier to shoot. So yeah, i was being a bit hyperbolic, but his success is very much enhanced by getting so many fouls called.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-22-2018, 07:54 AM

No, it's not the ability to "draw fouls" - its the insanity with which the NBA referees give him preference. At the sport's foundation, the baseline idea of a foul is an illegal contact that gives the fouling player an advantage. The offender is normally guilty of initiating the contract, or of being out of position. Harden initiates illegal contact, gains an advantage, AND gets the calls. I think the NBA has lost the concept of what a foul is.

Billy Dat
10-22-2018, 08:42 AM
While it's a bad public look for BI, I think overall it's a very positive move for him. He's a young skinny kid who is being viewed as a potential NBA alpha dog. Showing that he sticks up for himself and his teammates will go a looong way in NBA locker rooms. I am sure this incident earned him major points among players, and probably coaches, too.

TKG
10-22-2018, 10:56 AM
While it's a bad public look for BI, I think overall it's a very positive move for him. He's a young skinny kid who is being viewed as a potential NBA alpha dog. Showing that he sticks up for himself and his teammates will go a looong way in NBA locker rooms. I am sure this incident earned him major points among players, and probably coaches, too.

Pushing someone from behind and then throwing a sucker punch earns points? Guess I have more of an NHL view when it comes to sticking up for yourself and teammates.

Billy Dat
10-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Pushing someone from behind and then throwing a sucker punch earns points? Guess I have more of an NHL view when it comes to sticking up for yourself and teammates.

The NHL may as well be UFC compared to the "hold me back" NBA culture of non-fighting. I think that everyone recognizes that despite Paul's greatness as a player, he's a cheap shot punk so the fact that the young fella ran back and threw a jab at him will earn him a lot of points, I think. His build and height remind me of the Motor City Cobra.

RPS
10-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Jabari is already getting crushed for his (lack of) defense and effort.

Breaking: Zach LaVine and Jabari Parker have been as bad as expected on defense (https://theathletic.com/603843/2018/10/22/breaking-zach-lavine-and-jabari-parker-have-been-as-bad-as-expected-on-defense/)

TKG
10-22-2018, 11:50 AM
The NHL may as well be UFC compared to the "hold me back" NBA culture of non-fighting. I think that everyone recognizes that despite Paul's greatness as a player, he's a cheap shot punk so the fact that the young fella ran back and threw a jab at him will earn him a lot of points, I think. His build and height remind me of the Motor City Cobra.

Totally agree with your observation of the “hold me back” NBA thingy.

Love the Tommy Hearns reference.

Natty_B
10-22-2018, 12:14 PM

Breaking: Zach LaVine and Jabari Parker have been as bad as expected on defense (https://theathletic.com/603843/2018/10/22/breaking-zach-lavine-and-jabari-parker-have-been-as-bad-as-expected-on-defense/)

I was going to post the same article - there are some savage quotes in there on Jabari and his "defense" from a pretty measured writer. As the years pass that Mercer loss makes more and more sense.

Troublemaker
10-22-2018, 12:18 PM

This is a pay article.

Whether it's ESPN Insider, The Athletic, or something else, please note when something is a pay article so non-subscribers can just move along. Thanks all!

RPS
10-22-2018, 12:28 PM
This is a pay article.

Whether it's ESPN Insider, The Athletic, or something else, please note when something is a pay article so non-subscribers can just move along. Thanks all!Hmmm. I got it via Twitter link without a problem. Something's funny if you couldn't access it.

BandAlum83
10-22-2018, 12:31 PM
I was going to post the same article - there are some savage quotes in there on Jabari and his "defense" from a pretty measured writer. As the years pass that Mercer loss makes more and more sense.

I have no recollection of this Mercer loss to which you refer.

Truth&Justise
10-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Has anyone heard any updates on Gerald Henderson?

He had the misfortune to be injured right as his contract expired. Last year the story was he would rehab for a year and then try to come back. If healthy he could still be a valuable contributor for an NBA team, but I haven't heard anything about him this year. Anyone know what's going on?

dukelifer
10-22-2018, 01:03 PM

Well to be fair- I am amazed that Jabari can even play on those knees. You just have to get what you can get from him- which is usually pretty good offense.

Wahoo2000
10-22-2018, 01:07 PM
No, it's not the ability to "draw fouls" - its the insanity with which the NBA referees give him preference. At the sport's foundation, the baseline idea of a foul is an illegal contact that gives the fouling player an advantage. The offender is normally guilty of initiating the contract, or of being out of position. Harden initiates illegal contact, gains an advantage, AND gets the calls. I think the NBA has lost the concept of what a foul is.

Bah - the dreaded "you must spread some comments around".

This soooooo deserved a spork. In fact, deserves multiple sporks.

Aside from the NBA becoming a "all that matters are 3s" league, this is my chief complaint about the direction the association has taken. Kudos.

Natty_B
10-22-2018, 01:07 PM
This is a pay article.

Whether it's ESPN Insider, The Athletic, or something else, please note when something is a pay article so non-subscribers can just move along. Thanks all!

Gotta say I was skeptical at first but a subscription to The Athletic is, IMO, worth it. Here are some fun quotes:

"His (Parker) defensive effort is very poor, especially in transition. He habitually jogs to the middle of the court, not really matching up with anyone."

"Parker’s rotations are nonexistent. If he sees an open 3-point shooter, he often won’t even bother trying to run out and contest the shot. That attitude of quitting on possessions extends to every aspect of his defense."

"If Parker makes a mistake, he will quit rather than trying to get himself back into the action."

"Parker simply lacks the tools to defend against quicker players. Compound that with poor effort, and there’s not much hope for him getting better."

The very good writer (you get good writers with $$ for free you get Ball Durham) Stephen Noh covers the Bulls and is usually very measured, he admits this is only game 2, and not some hot take type.

jimsumner
10-22-2018, 01:08 PM
Well to be fair- I am amazed that Jabari can even play on those knees. You just have to get what you can get from him- which is usually pretty good offense.

To be fair, Jabari never seemed all that motivated on the defensive end when he had healthy knees.

flyingdutchdevil
10-22-2018, 01:15 PM
To be fair, Jabari never seemed all that motivated on the defensive end when he had healthy knees.

But I thought when Jabari was on campus, he was "very inexperienced in defense but really tried hard" ;)

devildeac
10-22-2018, 02:50 PM
Bah - the dreaded "you must spread some comments around".

This soooooo deserved a spork. In fact, deserves multiple sporks.

Aside from the NBA becoming a "all that matters are 3s" league, this is my chief complaint about the direction the association has taken. Kudos.

You're covered.

dukelifer
10-22-2018, 03:03 PM

That is indeed fair

DukieInBrasil
10-23-2018, 01:23 AM
Grayson was finally granted entry into an NBA game, and he was flawless in the the loss. 7 pts on 3 possessions (2-2 FG, 1-1 3FG, 2-2 FTs). Coach Snyder sat Grayson out the 1st 2 games, so today was his first action, and he played well.

Kyrie had a big game for BOS in the home loss, 22-8-5, while Tatum was rather quiet (7pts on 3-12 FGs).
Jabari was the only other Duke alum with a big game, 20 pts on 8-14 shooting, but -11 on the night. Wendell Carter pulled in 9 boards but wasn't a factor on offense.
Tyus Jones scored 10, with 4rebs, 4asts, and 3 steals in the win.
Everybody else with mediocre games.

Billy Dat
10-23-2018, 08:41 AM

Jimmy Butler LOVES him some Tyus Jones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mhx_gbGjqY

Truth&Justise
10-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Grayson was finally granted entry into an NBA game, and he was flawless in the the loss. 7 pts on 3 possessions (2-2 FG, 1-1 3FG, 2-2 FTs).

Grayson greatest shooter in NBA history confirmed.

He's a regular Marshall Plumlee from 3!

Truth&Justise
10-23-2018, 10:25 AM
And Grayson quickly introduced the NBA to his athleticism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Adl0QIzw8

luvdahops
10-23-2018, 10:27 AM
Grayson was finally granted entry into an NBA game, and he was flawless in the the loss. 7 pts on 3 possessions (2-2 FG, 1-1 3FG, 2-2 FTs). Coach Snyder sat Grayson out the 1st 2 games, so today was his first action, and he played well.

Kyrie had a big game for BOS in the home loss, 22-8-5, while Tatum was rather quiet (7pts on 3-12 FGs).
Jabari was the only other Duke alum with a big game, 20 pts on 8-14 shooting, but -11 on the night. Wendell Carter pulled in 9 boards but wasn't a factor on offense.
Everybody else with mediocre games.

Bulls fan here

Wendell has had a pretty rough intro to the league, having faced Joel Embiid, Andre Drummond and DeAndre Jordan so far. Those are obviously tough individual matchups, and he is still adjusting to the speed and movement of the NBA game, not to mention teammates without much history of playing together. But he's had some very encouraging stretches nonetheless, and I expect his production to pick up as he gets more acclimated.

Jabari had a terrific first half last night (16 on 7-11 shooting) but was a non-factor in the second. His defense remains abysmal, and that alone will likely keep him out of the starting lineup for the foreseeable future. The experiment of playing something of a "point forward" role with the second unit has had mixed results at best so far, as evidenced by Jabari averaging just 1 assist per game through the first 3.

JasonEvans
10-23-2018, 11:26 AM
Jabari had a terrific first half last night (16 on 7-11 shooting) but was a non-factor in the second. His defense remains abysmal, and that alone will likely keep him out of the starting lineup for the foreseeable future. The experiment of playing something of a "point forward" role with the second unit has had mixed results at best so far, as evidenced by Jabari averaging just 1 assist per game through the first 3.

I like Jabari and really want him to be a big success in the NBA, but I suspect this season's $20 mil deal will be a high point for him in terms of dollars earned. I doubt the Bulls pick up his $20 mil option for 2019-20 and I suspect he is going to be more like an $8-$10 mil per season kinda guy (if even that) going forward because of his extreme limitations on D.

As for Grayson, the key for him is whether he can move ahead of Alex Burks in the Donovan Mitchell backup sweepstakes. Burks played 18 and 12 minutes in the Jazz first two games while Grayson rode the pine. Last night, Burks only played 6 minutes while Grayson got 11. I'm not saying those two guys only play when Mitchell is out, but that is their primary role and, up until last night, Burks was filling that role more than Grayson was.

dukelifer
10-23-2018, 12:27 PM
I like Jabari and really want him to be a big success in the NBA, but I suspect this season's $20 mil deal will be a high point for him in terms of dollars earned. I doubt the Bulls pick up his $20 mil option for 2019-20 and I suspect he is going to be more like an $8-$10 mil per season kinda guy (if even that) going forward because of his extreme limitations on D.

As for Grayson, the key for him is whether he can move ahead of Alex Burks in the Donovan Mitchell backup sweepstakes. Burks played 18 and 12 minutes in the Jazz first two games while Grayson rode the pine. Last night, Burks only played 6 minutes while Grayson got 11. I'm not saying those two guys only play when Mitchell is out, but that is their primary role and, up until last night, Burks was filling that role more than Grayson was.

After his second knee injury- I thought Jabari’s career was over. He has not improved on D because he really has not played for a good part of his career. If he makes any money playing ball going forward - he is a fortunate guy.

Grayson will get his moment. I suspect D is an issue for him as well.

Acymetric
10-23-2018, 04:31 PM
I mostly follow the NBA to keep up with ex-Duke players (woulda said alums but the majority have only played one year these days). As such, Boston has been my favorite team since i was a kid, and that has only been enhanced by adding 3 ex-Duke players to their roster. I haven't had a least favorite team, until now. That is the Houston Rockets. With BOTH Chris Paul and James Harden, it's a pretty easy choice. I detest the way James Harden plays, or better put, the way refs call everything his way. I detest Chris Paul, well, for being Chris Paul.

Rondo came out and basically called out the BS on the squeaky clean, model citizen Chris Paul narrative that has been in effect (wrongly) for pretty much his whole career. Good for him.

https://whatstheaction.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/paul_hodge1.jpg?w=723

luvdahops
10-23-2018, 05:30 PM
Rondo came out and basically called out the BS on the squeaky clean, model citizen Chris Paul narrative that has been in effect (wrongly) for pretty much his whole career. Good for him.

Agreed

Anyone paying attention can see that CP III is still a chippy I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. punk to the core, and was more the aggressor in the altercation with Rondo, whose account was pretty credible to me (wearing a mouthpiece so could hardly have spat intentionally, had his hands on his hips)

Skydog
10-23-2018, 05:48 PM
It sure looked like Rondo spit from the close up video that was posted. Not very effectively mind you, but spit nevertheless.

jimsumner
10-23-2018, 06:28 PM

But Chris Paul makes cute insurance commercials. He has to be a nice guy. Just has to.

JBDuke
10-23-2018, 06:34 PM
My impression of Paul during his days at Wake Forest and continuing through his time as a pro is that he is a very nice guy off the court, but a jerk and a cheap shot artist on it - certainly to opponents. Are there credible stories about him being a jerk off the court as well?

Steven43
10-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Absolutely 100% spot-on. When Harden started regularly getting away with this junk about five years ago it almost made me want to quit watching basketball. The only thing that has kept me sane is seeing him repeatedly fail in the playoffs when referees stop giving him bogus foul calls. The idea that one can PURPOSELY run full speed into a defender and gain advantage from said thuggery is completely nonsensical. It needs to stop.

JetpackJesus
10-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Agreed

Anyone paying attention can see that CP III is still a chippy I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. punk to the core, and was more the aggressor in the altercation with Rondo, whose account was pretty credible to me (wearing a mouthpiece so could hardly have spat intentionally, had his hands on his hips)

On February 20, 2005 (the Patrick Davidson game), CP3 was called for a technical after slamming the ball into Lee Melchionni's face. After the game, this is what CP3 had to say about that play: ""He fouled me, and I just reacted when I shouldn't have," Paul said. "It was right in front of the referee. That was my fault."

CP3's response was essentially, "Look, guys, I made a mistake. I shouldn't have slammed the ball in that dude's face while the ref was standing right there. Next time I'll make sure the refs can't see me."

***~3 weeks later***

https://youtu.be/9F3tptzEWmM?t=12

He got the ref part down, but apparently he hadn't learned about TV cameras yet.

Anyway, 2005 told me all I needed to know about CP3.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-23-2018, 08:29 PM
My impression of Paul during his days at Wake Forest and continuing through his time as a pro is that he is a very nice guy off the court, but a jerk and a cheap shot artist on it - certainly to opponents. Are there credible stories about him being a jerk off the court as well?

...but.....but.....but.....Grayson....... (says the Duke haters)

JBDuke
10-23-2018, 09:05 PM
...but...but...but...Grayson... (says the Duke haters)

I know you're not being serious, but my take on Grayson was that he acted instinctively, it's just that he had some bad instincts that needed to be addressed. But Paul's actions seem more premeditated than instinctive.

elvis14
10-23-2018, 09:29 PM
I'm not Chris Paul apologist (I was the guy wondering why the refs would call obvious fouls against him in the playoffs last year). But....the video I've seen on ESPN clearly shows Rondo spitting in his face. As far as I know, spitting in someones face is almost always followed by punches being thrown.

The Ingram is situation is interesting. I didn't care for his actions myself but I have seen others giving him props for backing up his teammate.

Really happy to see Grayson get on the court.

JNort
10-23-2018, 09:41 PM
I'm not Chris Paul apologist (I was the guy wondering why the refs would call obvious fouls against him in the playoffs last year). But...the video I've seen on ESPN clearly shows Rondo spitting in his face. As far as I know, spitting in someones face is almost always followed by punches being thrown.

The Ingram is situation is interesting. I didn't care for his actions myself but I have seen others giving him props for backing up his teammate.

Yeah I can't fault CP3 in this situation at all. The replay today clearly shows Rondo spit on him. Ingram was the initial party who had a grievance but was moved away from the situation until he saw an open opportunity. Isn't right, but I get it... I've been there. It's still not the smart move nor neccesarily the right move but I definitely get it.

elvis14
10-23-2018, 09:51 PM
I'm not Chris Paul apologist (I was the guy wondering why the refs would call obvious fouls against him in the playoffs last year). But...the video I've seen on ESPN clearly shows Rondo spitting in his face. As far as I know, spitting in someones face is almost always followed by punches being thrown.

For the record...I have a typo in my last. That was supposed to be "would not call obvious fouls". Waited too long to edit before I saw it. Please don't spit in my face over this mistake :-)

devildeac
10-23-2018, 10:09 PM
For the record...I have a typo in my last. That was supposed to be "would not call obvious fouls". Waited too long to edit before I saw it. Please don't spit in my face over this mistake :-)

Typo?

Nah, I'm not even going to go there...

:p

jv001
10-23-2018, 10:20 PM
Yeah I can't fault CP3 in this situation at all. The replay today clearly shows Rondo spit on him. Ingram was the initial party who had a grievance but was moved away from the situation until he saw an open opportunity. Isn't right, but I get it... I've been there. It's still not the smart move nor neccesarily the right move but I definitely get it.

Better watch out I was told not to mention things like you have below. GoDuke!

Acymetric
10-23-2018, 10:35 PM

Well, on and adjacent to the court (see the incident of trying to break into the Clippers locker room to fight last year, which is not exactly an "on the court cheap shot" issue). But yes, in his personal life he (along with most other players) seems to be a generally good guy.

YmoBeThere
10-23-2018, 11:08 PM
I ran into CP3 at a community event in downtown Winston-Salem when I worked for GMAC Insurance, around '06(after his rookie season). Seemed decent enough in person and I'll be honest I knew his past history so had my doubts.

Acymetric
10-23-2018, 11:19 PM

I don't know, I think the video jives pretty well with Rondo's version of the story. It does look like some spit leaves his mouth, but I'm not sure he intentionally spit. Looks to me like an exasperated lip flap that was a bit...wetter than intended.

subzero02
10-24-2018, 01:24 AM
Redick had a great night, 30 points on 6 of 15 shooting from 3. He also had a go ahead 4 point play in overtime but his team would eventually fall to the Pistons and Blake's 50 point performance.

MChambers
10-24-2018, 07:52 AM
Redick had a great night, 30 points on 6 of 15 shooting from 3. He also had a go ahead 4 point play in overtime but his team would eventually fall to the Pistons and Blake's 50 point performance.

This thread is about fighting and wrestling. And spitting, for that matter. What are you doing writing about basketball?

phaedrus
10-24-2018, 10:03 AM

It was also Redick's first time scoring 30 points in back-to-back games.

He's 34.

nmduke2001
10-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Absolutely 100% spot-on. When Harden started regularly getting away with this junk about five years ago it almost made me want to quit watching basketball. The only thing that has kept me sane is seeing him repeatedly fail in the playoffs when referees stop giving him bogus foul calls. The idea that one can PURPOSELY run full speed into a defender and gain advantage from said thuggery is completely nonsensical. It needs to stop.

James Harden is the pushed-to-the-limit max of efficiency (all the way to the specific way that he probably travels for many shots). I don’t blame him for playing this way - the refs and rules are part of the game. Is it fun to watch? Not if you’re not a Houston fan.

This style of play doesn’t work for 99.9% of the NBA. Harden is a master at it -
If he can’t shoot the way he does, it doesn’t work.
If he can’t dribble and move the way he does, it doesn’t work.
If he can’t shoot free throws the way he does, it doesn’t work.

Harden has developed a skill set that works really well in the modern NBA. Calling it "thuggery" seems like a reach. The games are officiated a certain way and he takes full advantage of the rules. If the NBA wanted to, they could ask the officials to interpret the rules differently, but thus far, they have not. I don’t see why that makes Harden a bad guy. I think Chris Paul is a cheap shot artist. I thought John Stockton was as dirty as they come. Harden, he just forces the action.

BTW, I'm not even a Harden fan. I just don't think he should get as much grief as he gets.

nmduke2001
10-24-2018, 10:37 AM
It was also Redick's first time scoring 30 points in back-to-back games.

He's 34.

JJ has a lot of his Duke swagger back. It started last year and continues this year. He's posing after shots and jawing at people. I've seen him twice this year yell, "this is my house".

moonpie23
10-24-2018, 10:57 AM
Harden has made a career out of committing offensive fouls and having them called as defensive. yes, he's really, REALLY good....but ingram was just demonstrating that a lot for folks (and other players) are sick of him getting away with it...

this in no way excuses running across the gym and sucker punching someone.....

chris paul is a punk...

AGDukesky
10-24-2018, 12:02 PM
This style of play doesn’t work for 99.9% of the NBA. Harden is a master at it -
If he can’t shoot the way he does, it doesn’t work.
If he can’t dribble and move the way he does, it doesn’t work.
If he can’t shoot free throws the way he does, it doesn’t work.

I’m not sure I follow your logic here. Harden is a pretty average to slightly better 3-point shooter - certainly nothing special at 36-37%. I don’t personally consider his handle elite. So the fact that he gets so many calls makes it more egregious that his FT % is high- because he doesn’t deserve what he gets. His dribbling seems better because people avoid challenging him if they want to stay in the game. This is a guy shooting 10 free throws a game since he has been with Houston while Lebron James hasn’t averaged over 8 since 2012! Harden is good but just seems to mesmerize officials with his ridiculous beard. I guess it isn’t his fault, but when you combine his fear of playing defense, the guy justifiably irks opposing fans...

NSDukeFan
10-24-2018, 12:08 PM
I’m not sure I follow your logic here. Harden is a pretty average to slightly better 3-point shooter - certainly nothing special at 36-37%. I don’t personally consider his handle elite. So the fact that he gets so many calls makes it more egregious that his FT % is high- because he doesn’t deserve what he gets. His dribbling seems better because people avoid challenging him if they want to stay in the game. This is a guy shooting 10 free throws a game since he has been with Houston while Lebron James hasn’t averaged over 8 since 2012! Harden is good but just seems to mesmerize officials with his ridiculous beard. I guess it isn’t his fault, but when you combine his fear of playing defense, the guy justifiably irks opposing fans...

I would definitely consider his handle elite.

AGDukesky
10-24-2018, 12:17 PM
^Fair enough, I’m not qualified to judge and didn’t put him in the same category as Kyrie, which is probably too narrow of a basis

UrinalCake
10-24-2018, 12:20 PM
JJ’s amazing clutch shot. Texas fans everywhere are having nightmare flashbacks.

https://youtu.be/FVBjSGd_VJ0

phaedrus
10-24-2018, 01:53 PM
I’m not sure I follow your logic here. Harden is a pretty average to slightly better 3-point shooter - certainly nothing special at 36-37%.

You're not considering degree of difficulty. A large proportion - if not the vast majority - of Harden's three-point shots are off-the-dribble, step-back shots (and, arguably, preceded by traveling, FWIW). At these, he is definitely elite, or at least he was last season.

Furniture
10-24-2018, 10:51 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/1054576448399437824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1054830673138249729&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fduke.forums.rivals.com%2Fthr eads%2Fduke-in-the-nba.10853075%2Fpage-48

Hilarious....

nmduke2001
10-25-2018, 10:00 AM
I would definitely consider his handle elite.

Mods, can you move the Harden discussion to the non-Duke NBA thread? I'd like to continue but I'm the people on this thread are sick of it. Thanks.

JasonEvans
10-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Mods, can you move the Harden discussion to the non-Duke NBA thread? I'd like to continue but I'm the people on this thread are sick of it. Thanks.

No need to move... easier to just say:

If you want to talk about James Harden and his penchant for drawing "fouls", please do so in this thread (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42489-NBA-Regular-season-thread-2019).

jimsumner
10-25-2018, 02:14 PM
But Harden gets all the calls.

And Duke gets all the calls.

Therefore, using the transitive property, isn't James Harden really Duke?

BD80
10-25-2018, 06:45 PM
But Harden gets all the calls.

And Duke gets all the calls.

Therefore, using the transitive property, isn't James Harden really Duke?

If the "discussion" goes much longer, he'll be Hitler.

JasonEvans
10-26-2018, 11:58 AM
Just wanted to update Rodney Hood's situation.

As some folks may recall, Rodney turned down a reported 3-year $21 mil contract from the Cavs in the off season to play out his option with them this year. He is making $3.4 mil off his qualifying offer from Cleveland and will be a free agent next summer. Put another way, he is really really really motivated to have a good year.

So far.... meh. Last night was a pretty typical game for him. 10 points on 4-12 shooting with 3 boards in 30 minutes. He is yet to have a game this year where he shot better than 50% from the field. He doesn't get a lot of FTs or rebounds or assists. His 3 point shooting is really struggling, just 1-9 from deep thus far.

It is obviously early in the season, but Rodney will need to really pick up his play to get more than a mediocre contract.

-Jason "meanwhile, the Cavs quest for the #1 pick is going strong... 0-5 thus far" Evans

dukelifer
10-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Setback for Kennard. Will miss several weeks with a separated shoulder. Pistons having a good year and Luke in the rotation but will be out until end of Nov.

BD80
10-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Setback for Kennard. Will miss several weeks with a separated shoulder. Pistons having a good year and Luke in the rotation but will be out until end of Nov.

Was hit by a nasty pick, but I don't think a foul was called. Fortunately, it is his right shoulder.

Billy Dat
10-27-2018, 09:33 AM
I watched a significant chunk of Wizards (SubZero) vs Kings (Marvin and Harry) last night. Nice W for the Kings.

I didn't see any of Harry's limited minutes. It seems like he's slipping from the rotation out there. Obviously, it's early in the season.

Bagley has been coming off the bench and he looks pretty good. His quick second jump seems elite even among NBA players, he has been taking and hitting corner 3s, his defense still seems a bit suspect, he gets visibly frustrated when he doesn't get the ball on mismtaches, etc. While the season is young, it feels like Joerger is recognizing the need to get him minutes. One oddity, I saw him called for at least 3 travels.

Austin is still Austin. While he has made a name on defense, he wasn't really showing it last night as I saw him picking up tons of bad fouls. In pretty classic fashion, the dude still jacks ridiculous shots, still showing that "I am the man" ego. I guess that's what got him here, along with a little help from the family, so he can do what he's going to do. But, I can't say, as the kids say, "I'm here for it".

I also saw the end of the Nets v Pelicans game where the Nets choked what would have been a great road win in the final minute. I only bring it up to say that as AD deflected the final attempted in-bounds pass to seal the game, I spied a jubilant Frank Jackson celebrating on the court. The game was also notable for a strange occurrence involving a Heel. After the Nets lost the lead, they had a chance to inbounds for a winning shot with 2 seconds left. During the timeout, one of the Pelicans attempted to enter the Nets huddle and Ed Davis shoved the guy down with help from a massive flop. Davis was called for a T which allowed the Pels to hit 2 FTs and go up by 3 instead of 1. Big Ed got robbed imho.

JasonEvans
10-27-2018, 09:50 AM
During the timeout, one of the Pelicans attempted to enter the Nets huddle and Ed Davis shoved the guy down with help from a massive flop. Davis was called for a T which allowed the Pels to hit 2 FTs and go up by 3 instead of 1. Big Ed got robbed imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dae9yJDwGw

I agree and not just because Hill flopped when Davis tried to box him out from the huddle. There should be a rule that you are not allowed to enter another team's bench area during a stop in the action. At a minimum, Solomon Hill was trying to interfere with the Nets planning for the final possession; at a maximum he was trying to steal a peek at the play and therefore be better equipped to stop it. Either way, that's cheating and 100% wrong.

-Jason "If the NBA does not have a rule about this, they sure should" Evans

DukieInBrasil
10-27-2018, 03:02 PM
I know he's no longer in the NBA, but i was gardening today and i had a revelation, usavory as it may have been. Duke legend Bob Verga shares a rather unfortunate connection to Spanish slang, at least Mexican/CentAm slang. Or postitive, depending on how one chooses to wield slang.
Verga being spanish-language slang for, er, ahem, the, uh, man bits.
Anyway, he was a great player.

Furniture
10-27-2018, 11:36 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1056386532179959809

CameronBlue
10-28-2018, 11:04 AM
I know he's no longer in the NBA, but i was gardening today and i had a revelation, usavory as it may have been. Duke legend Bob Verga shares a rather unfortunate connection to Spanish slang, at least Mexican/CentAm slang. Or postitive, depending on how one chooses to wield slang.

That topiary beginning to take shape, huh?

HereBeforeCoachK
10-28-2018, 11:07 AM

As a young lad, VERY young lad, I saw Verga play for the Carolina Cougars. Dude could stroke.

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2018, 11:14 AM
He is yet to have a game this year where he shot better than 50% from the field. He doesn't get a lot of FTs or rebounds or assists. His 3 point shooting is really struggling, just 1-9 from deep thus far.

He picked it up a little last night, with 8-15 shooting. 1-6 from three though, eww. 17 point game total.

budwom
10-28-2018, 12:32 PM

On a nicer note, Verga also shares a name (phonetically) with a weather occurrence in which observable precipitation evaporates before it gets to the ground....

MChambers
10-28-2018, 02:01 PM
On a nicer note, Verga also shares a name (phonetically) with a weather occurrence in which observable precipitation evaporates before it gets to the ground...

It never even touches the net?

DukieInBrasil
10-28-2018, 06:38 PM
As a young lad, VERY young lad, I saw Verga play for the Carolina Cougars. Dude could stroke.

Verga strokes with Cougars. Hmmm, that sounds like a NSFW adult film...

nmduke2001
10-28-2018, 10:16 PM
Grayson with 11 in 13 minutes on perfect shooting.

Furniture
10-28-2018, 10:56 PM
grayson with 11 in 13 minutes on perfect shooting.
3/3 fg4/4 ft+17

accfanfrom1970
10-29-2018, 12:38 AM
Verga strokes with Cougars.

I got to see Verga play in a jersey shore summer league a couple of summers, for the Sea Girt Inn. He could shoot from downtown even outdoors.

jimsumner
10-29-2018, 06:03 PM
Those of us of a certain age salivate at the idea of Bob Verga at his peak with today's 3-point line and shot clock.

Furniture
10-29-2018, 11:11 PM
Solid numbers tonight for our boys:

Brandon:24pts,5rbs,3bks
Wendell:18pts,7rbs,4asts
Quinn:16pts in 17 mins
Jabari:15pts,9rbs,6asts
Redick:14pts,8rbs.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-30-2018, 07:32 AM
Those of us of a certain age salivate at the idea of Bob Verga at his peak with today's 3-point line and shot clock.

That's mind blowing to think about.

FWIW the Carolina Cougars had both Verga and George Lehman on the team at the same time....with a 3 point shot in the old ABA

JasonEvans
10-30-2018, 09:02 AM
That's mind blowing to think about.

FWIW the Carolina Cougars had both Verga and George Lehman on the team at the same time...with a 3 point shot in the old ABA

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but Verga was just a 29.6% shooter from the ABA 3-point line during his career. Not like it was a small sample size, he took more than 400 3s in his career.

BandAlum83
10-30-2018, 09:05 AM
I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but Verga was just a 29.6% shooter from the ABA 3-point line during his career. Not like it was a small sample size, he took more than 400 3s in his career.

Get out the umbrella, everyone. Here comes Jason with facts again.

I thought the Verga would have shot 73% for 3-point land.

BD80
10-30-2018, 09:31 AM
Get out the umbrella, everyone. Here comes Jason with facts again.

I thought the Verga would have shot 73% for 3-point land.

I remember him shooting 110% on his threes ...

AGDukesky
10-30-2018, 09:43 AM

Jackson and Okafor with pretty good performances as well

AGDukesky
10-30-2018, 09:57 AM

He only attempted 1.3/game, but I’m not sure if that was because he only made 30% or it was not an area of emphasis for the offense. Also, I assume Jim was salivating at Verga shooting NCAA threes not the ones from 23’9”...

Billy Dat
10-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Just to put the Bulls and GSW numbers in a little context...those stats were achieved amidst an embarrassing 149-124 GSW annihilation of Chicago which was 92-50 at halftime!!!! I was watching the game because Klay Thompson set the 3 pointer record and it was a sad display by Chicago. Per Jabari's famous quote, no one was paying the Bulls to play defense.

I would like to shout out the surprisingly suprising Kings at 4-3 who notched a sweet road win against Miami last night. While their 4 wins aren't against great competition, they were supposed to be terrible. Marvin comes off the bench, plays about half the game, and has been settling into the league quite nicely. Harry has currently fallen out of the rotation, but here's a good recent article on him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803293-harry-giles-would-like-to-re-introduce-himself

HereBeforeCoachK
10-30-2018, 12:51 PM

The 3 line in the ABA was a long way away as i remember......and not a big weapon really at the time. They were the only league that had one. I"m sure his percentage from the college line would have been very good. He scored a ton at Duke, and they weren't lay ups, and there were no threes of course then.

CameronBornAndBred
10-30-2018, 01:07 PM
The 3 line in the ABA was a long way away as i remember...and not a big weapon really at the time. They were the only league that had one. I"m sure his percentage from the college line would have been very good. He scored a ton at Duke, and they weren't lay ups, and there were no threes of course then.

The ABA line was the same as it is now, 23' 9", excluding the sides where it narrows to 22'.
There was a short lived ABL that first used the three pointer professionally, and that one was 25'. I'd give links, but it took a few different websites to figure it out.
The three point shot has a pretty fascinating history.
This page explains a lot, and has a great story to start it off with.
https://www.usab.com/youth/news/2011/06/the-history-of-the-3-pointer.aspx

luvdahops
10-30-2018, 02:16 PM
Just to put the Bulls and GSW numbers in a little context...those stats were achieved amidst an embarrassing 149-124 GSW annihilation of Chicago which was 92-50 at halftime!!!! I was watching the game because Klay Thompson set the 3 pointer record and it was a sad display by Chicago. Per Jabari's famous quote, no one was paying the Bulls to play defense.

I would like to shout out the surprisingly suprising Kings at 4-3 who notched a sweet road win against Miami last night. While their 4 wins aren't against great competition, they were supposed to be terrible. Marvin comes off the bench, plays about half the game, and has been settling into the league quite nicely. Harry has currently fallen out of the rotation, but here's a good recent article on him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803293-harry-giles-would-like-to-re-introduce-himself

I was there in person, and confirm that it was a sad, embarrassing display by the Bulls. Klay did hit a few shots with a Bull defender draped all over him, by many were wide open, even after it was clear that the Warriors were feeding him constantly to chase the record. The Bulls have been hit with some key injuries, as two starters (Markannen and Kris Dunn) and two key bench players (Bobby Portis and Denzel Valentine) are currently out. But only Dunn among that group could have made much difference on Klay last night, and chances are good that Curry would have been his primary assignment. Defense - both individual and team - will be a year long challenge for this Bulls team, even at full strength. The ball movement and unselfishness shown by the Warriors last night was arguably just as impressive as Klay's shooting. And Klay's shooting was phenomenal.

Agree that Bagley seems to be settling in nicely. His per 36 numbers are 19.7 points, 10.6 boards and 2.0 blocks per game. He's shooting 54.5% from the floor and is 3-6 on 3s so far. The sample size is still small, but he's showing both some range and rim protection, the two big question marks around his game pre-draft.

Billy Dat
10-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Agree that Bagley seems to be settling in nicely. His per 36 numbers are 19.7 points, 10.6 boards and 2.0 blocks per game. He's shooting 54.5% from the floor and is 3-6 on 3s so far. The sample size is still small, but he's showing both some range and rim protection, the two big question marks around his game pre-draft.

I agree about the rim protection as he is leading the Kings in blocks, but this unfortunate clip from last night is a sad piece of counter evidence. Poor Marvin, they weren't doing that to him in D1!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkDdw58bO9g

jimsumner
10-30-2018, 04:36 PM
BOB Verga averaged just over 20 ppg in the ABA, a peak of 27.5 ppg one year. And trust me, he didn't do it by posting up or scoring in transition.

Give him a 19'9" 3-point line and he averages 30 ppg in 1967.

BigZ
10-31-2018, 10:39 PM
Wendell putting in work on back to back games

richmclean
11-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Shows how mind blowing Pistol Pete would have been with 3s. Averaged 44 per game much from outside.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

AGDukesky
11-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Shows how mind blowing Pistol Pete would have been with 3s. Averaged 44 per game much from outside.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I find it mind blowing that he attempted 38 shots a game...

UrinalCake
11-01-2018, 11:51 PM
Looks like Okafor got the start tonight! Not sure if Davis is injured or resting or what. The Pelicans have given up 70 points in the first half so that's not a good sign, although Oak has only played 6 minutes so probably not all his fault. I also see that Frank Jackson is getting some burn.

JasonEvans
11-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Looks like Okafor got the start tonight! Not sure if Davis is injured or resting or what. The Pelicans have given up 70 points in the first half so that's not a good sign, although Oak has only played 6 minutes so probably not all his fault. I also see that Frank Jackson is getting some burn.

Oak played 14 minutes, 3-6 FGs, 6 points, 5 rebounds, 4 fouls. He had a +- of +1, best among the Pelican starters as the team lost by 13. Anthony Davis has now missed 3 of the past 4 games with a sprained elbow and Oakafor played mid-teens minutes in all those games. Sadly, he played 0 minutes in the one game Davis played which probably does not bode well for him getting meaninful minutes once Davis is healthy.

luvdahops
11-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Oak played 14 minutes, 3-6 FGs, 6 points, 5 rebounds, 4 fouls. He had a +- of +1, best among the Pelican starters as the team lost by 13. Anthony Davis has now missed 3 of the past 4 games with a sprained elbow and Oakafor played mid-teens minutes in all those games. Sadly, he played 0 minutes in the one game Davis played which probably does not bode well for him getting meaninful minutes once Davis is healthy.

Yeah, most games the Pelicans seem to go with a Davis / Mirotic / Randle big rotation, with one of their SFs serving as a nominal PF when they go small. Which leaves mainly mop up and emergency minutes for Jah. Okafor has played decently when he's been on the court though.

phaedrus
11-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Semi Ojeleye started for the Celtics last night - alongside Tatum and Kyrie. I can think of a few examples of teams starting two Duke guys - has a team ever started three?

Indoor66
11-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Semi Ojeleye started for the Celtics last night - alongside Tatum and Kyrie. I can think of a few examples of teams starting two Duke guys - has a team ever started three?

Personally, I like Semi but I have to count him as an SMU guy, not a Duke guy.

AGDukesky
11-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Personally, I like Semi but I have to count him as an SMU guy, not a Duke guy.

My knee jerk reaction is the same. However, given the number of OADs we have, I guess any time at Duke should count...

flyingdutchdevil
11-02-2018, 01:33 PM
My knee jerk reaction is the same. However, given the number of OADs we have, I guess any time at Duke should count...

And Semi spent more time at Duke than Kyrie or Tatum!

But you're right; he's an SMU guy.