PDA

View Full Version : Jones To Start Tonight.

Devilwin
09-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Bleacher Report says Daniel Jones will start vs VaTech.

BandAlum83
09-29-2018, 12:22 PM

I'm like, "How is this even possible?!"

BandAlum83
09-29-2018, 12:24 PM

For those who follow such things, what has this done to the Vegas line?

OldPhiKap
09-29-2018, 12:26 PM
For those who follow such things, what has this done to the Vegas line?

It’s probsbly puckered up the folks who bought the line down from -6 to -4.5

Devilwin
09-29-2018, 12:38 PM
My first thought was, "Maybe the injury wasn't as bad as we all thought". Plus he's a 20 year old kid, and they heal quick at that age. Either way, I am nervous about it, and they better protect him like mad..:confused:

OldPhiKap
09-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Wonder how much the run option is still in the playbook. I can’t imagine he is out there unless he can take a hit in the shoulder of some sort.

richardjackson199
09-29-2018, 12:47 PM
Sorry to be that guy.

I think it's a huge mistake for him to play tonight and frankly stupid. 1 Hard Sack from Va Tech and I imagine he will be done for the season with a rebreak. If he sat out this week he would get 2 more weeks rest because we have bye next week. I rebroke my own arm trying to work out when I though it was better, and the re-injury was much worse.

I trust Duke's medical staff is giving him much better medical advice than I could give from my couch. But I'm pretty sure that bones take longer than this to fully heal, and the fact that he needed surgery to re-align it says that he broke it legitimately. I trust billy's insight earlier that Jones would probably be great by now if we could guarantee he wouldn't take a hard hit. And I think back to Bud Foster's defense putting all those vicious late hits on Thad Lewis. And tonight Va Tech's defense is going to be very angry after giving up 28 their last quarter out.

I would love nothing more than Jones to go out, prove me wrong, and get to 5-0 still healthy.

Just one opinion not worth once cent, but I could not disagree with this more from a risk-benefit standpoint.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 12:48 PM
Wonder how much the run option is still in the playbook. I can’t imagine he is out there unless he can take a hit in the shoulder of some sort.

That's a worry to me too, both from the standpoint of limiting our play calling tonight (offense was "turble" last season when QB couldn't run) - and the injury issue...

UrinalCake
09-29-2018, 12:56 PM
There’s also the question of how much rust he’ll have to shake off after being out of action for a couple weeks. If he struggles out of the gate, will we stick with him or go back to Harris? But with all that said, we have to trust the coaching staff and medical staff who obviously know a whole lot more than we do. I’m sure Cut is aware of the risks of bringing him back too early.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 01:18 PM
FYI......speaking of QB risk, Trevor Lawrence just took a wicked hit in Clemson and was down for a while.

chrishoke
09-29-2018, 01:37 PM
I'm thinking we should forfeit. Guys could get hurt out there.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking we should forfeit. Guys could get hurt out there.

...I'm only seeing some concern about one particular player who suffered a broken bone 21 days ago. There is no way he is not more vulnerable than an un-injured player.

chrishoke
09-29-2018, 01:54 PM
...I'm only seeing some concern about one particular player who suffered a broken bone 21 days ago. There is no way he is not more vulnerable than an un-injured player.

Lots of guys on the team have injuries\bumps\bruises etc.

chrishoke
09-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Look, I trust Cut and Duke medical staff. I am not a doctor. I am a lawyer, but I do work in public health.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 02:03 PM
Look, I trust Cut and Duke medical staff. I am not a doctor. I am a lawyer, but I do work in public health.

I trust Cut and the medical staff too....but I'm not sure I trust a hyper-competitive 20 year old athlete to always tell the truth about levels of pain, etc. Obviously we both want the same result (Duke win, healthy Jones) - but I think it's totally reasonable to worry about this decision, and to worry about it is not a slam on Cut or the medical staff, nor is it an overall worry about injuries in general.

I also worry about how Duke's offense looked last season during the six games DJ couldn't/didn't run much.

devildeac
09-29-2018, 02:10 PM
Worst case scenario: Lose big and lose DJ w/recurrent injury.

Best case scenario: Get a big lead, rest DJ and have QH play lots of snaps.

See y'all at WW.

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-29-2018, 02:17 PM
Best case scenario: Get a big lead, rest DJ and have QH play lots of snaps.
See y'all at WW.

Sounds like a plan!
Love, Ima

BandAlum83
09-29-2018, 02:46 PM
Sorry to be that guy.

I think it's a huge mistake for him to play tonight and frankly stupid. 1 Hard Sack from Va Tech and I imagine he will be done for the season with a rebreak. If he sat out this week he would get 2 more weeks rest because we have bye next week. I rebroke my own arm trying to work out when I though it was better, and the re-injury was much worse.

I trust Duke's medical staff is giving him much better medical advice than I could give from my couch. But I'm pretty sure that bones take longer than this to fully heal, and the fact that he needed surgery to re-align it says that he broke it legitimately. I trust billy's insight earlier that Jones would probably be great by now if we could guarantee he wouldn't take a hard hit. And I think back to Bud Foster's defense putting all those vicious late hits on Thad Lewis. And tonight Va Tech's defense is going to be very angry after giving up 28 their last quarter out.

I would love nothing more than Jones to go out, prove me wrong, and get to 5-0 still healthy.

Just one opinion not worth once cent, but I could not disagree with this more from a risk-benefit standpoint.

I fractured my collar bone 10 years ago in A car accident. (Seat belt injury). I was told at the time that surgery is an option to strengthen. I think they put some screws or something. I was also told it can speed recovery. Three weeks? I doubt it at 46. Which I was at the time.

My point is this. Was surgery to "realign?" Or could it have been to put a few screws in to reinforce?

arnie
09-29-2018, 02:53 PM
I fractured my collar bone 10 years ago in A car accident. (Seat belt injury). I was told at the time that surgery is an option to strengthen. I think they put some screws or something. I was also told it can speed recovery. Three weeks? I doubt it at 46. Which I was at the time.

My point is this. Was surgery to "realign?" Or could it have been to put a few screws in to reinforce?

You may on to this. We may not have the complete injury/surgery story.

Pghdukie
09-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Has Jones been practicing ? Will he be rusty,or tentative, or out of sync with the rest of the offense ?

richardjackson199
09-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Has Jones been practicing ? Will he be rusty,or tentative, or out of sync with the rest of the offense ?

Yes he has been practicing. He took 1/3 of practice reps this week I think

nocilla
09-29-2018, 03:40 PM
I think we'll see both QBs tonight. I too am concerned about DJ running the RPO. Which is why I think we'll see both QBs maybe rotating every couple series. I know that typically is not ideal for creating a rhythm in your offense but this team has been successful with both QBs this year and they have both been practicing. Or maybe DJ comes out blazing and then QH takes over later.

I guess we'll just have to see. I'm headed to the stadium shortly!

CameronBlue
09-29-2018, 04:10 PM

That's what YOU call ambulance chasing!

j/k

Avvocato
09-29-2018, 04:26 PM
In the game thread I stated I would have held Jones out until after the bye but have to trust Duke’s medical and coaching staffs. Even if he might be technically healthy, I don’t think it’s worth rushing him back and risking re-injury. As for our offense, in my view, if we can’t run our full offense, then he’s probably not healthy enough to be out there. I also feel we shouldn’t be juggling QBs. If Jones is starting, we need to let him play the whole way (barring injury), except for maybe short yardage packages if they want to let QH run those. Hopefully DJ can run the offense but just be smart out there. Let’s get this one.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 05:43 PM

Practicing but no contact (normal for Duke QBs during the season). The rust will be on not getting hit for three weeks, versus not getting hit for one week. First hard contact will tell a lot.