PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Bryant to transfer

jimsumner
09-26-2018, 02:28 PM
That didn't take long

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/clemson-qb-kelly-bryant-to-transfer-after-losing-starting-job/ar-AAAFpof?OCID=ansmsnnews11

uh_no
09-26-2018, 02:56 PM
That didn't take long

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/clemson-qb-kelly-bryant-to-transfer-after-losing-starting-job/ar-AAAFpof?OCID=ansmsnnews11

let the bidding commence!

wavedukefan70s
09-26-2018, 03:08 PM
I dont think it's a bad move.he may not be a nfl qb.if he wants to shift positions to be more attractive to nfl teams.this option would give him a year to adjust instead of playing back up qb.

elvis14
09-26-2018, 03:55 PM
I've had several discussions with fellow Clemson grads about this today.

The Good: The freshman is so good that we think handing him the keys and just going with him will make us better by the time the playoffs roll around
The Bad: Having TL and KB gave us the ability to have a great run first and a great pass first QB and play matchup football
The Ugly: Bryant's not leaving on great terms, feels he wasn't given a fair shot, we are bummed he feels this way

HereBeforeCoachK
09-26-2018, 03:55 PM
As stated on another thread, I think ACC week 5, where I posted this...I feel for Kelly Bryant...but he's being a bit whiny. I am fine with his decision, but his moaning about not being treated right and being owed the job because of the fact he waited his turn, and so on...that's just denying the reality of sports. The best player plays, and Trevor Lawrence makes Clemson a much more dynamic offense. He gives them the best chance to win it all. (there's also the freshman risk too).

I think Dabo did the right thing, the right way. I think Bryant's decision to leave is fine, but I don't think he's helping himself with his comments.

BTW, I visited a prominent Clemson board, Tigernet, to see what the commentary was...and it was pretty much what elvis14 was saying. They support Dabo, love Trevor Lawrence, love Kelly too and wish he would stay, understand why he won't, but don't like his attitude and comments.

CameronBornAndBred
09-26-2018, 03:57 PM
If the new guy gets hurt, how deep are they now?

elvis14
09-26-2018, 04:09 PM
If the new guy gets hurt, how deep are they now?

Next man up is Redshirt Freshman Chase Brice. A 4-star recruit. Won the Class 7A in Georgia as a senior. Started 4 years in HS and went 40-7. From what I can tell, he had a good spring. He's gotten 25 or 35 snaps in games so far this year and is 5-8 throwing the ball. I don't know who's next after that. Bryant is the 4th QB to transfer out of the shadow of Trevor Lawrence.

BD80
09-26-2018, 04:19 PM
I hear he is taking his ball with him ...

budwom
09-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Next man up is Redshirt Freshman Chase Brice. A 4-star recruit. Won the Class 7A in Georgia as a senior. Started 4 years in HS and went 40-7. From what I can tell, he had a good spring. He's gotten 25 or 35 snaps in games so far this year and is 5-8 throwing the ball. I don't know who's next after that. Bryant is the 4th QB to transfer out of the shadow of Trevor Lawrence.

I wonder how much he expects to play over the next three years?

Acymetric
09-26-2018, 04:38 PM
I dont think it's a bad move.he may not be a nfl qb.if he wants to shift positions to be more attractive to nfl teams.this option would give him a year to adjust instead of playing back up qb.

If he wanted to switch positions he probably could have done that at Clemson. I assume he wants to go somewhere to start at QB. I'm also not entirely convinced that the freshman gives them the best chance to win (only real argument in favor is the "coaches see them in practice" line).

HereBeforeCoachK
09-26-2018, 04:46 PM
If he wanted to switch positions he probably could have done that at Clemson. I assume he wants to go somewhere to start at QB. I'm also not entirely convinced that the freshman gives them the best chance to win (only real argument in favor is the "coaches see them in practice" line).

I'm pretty convinced. The Clemson offense is simply a lot better with Lawrence. He makes plays Bryant cannot. I am not looking forward to Duke having to play him. He's always played way above his age level......he's not a typical hotshot Frosh QB.

wavedukefan70s
09-26-2018, 07:02 PM

I thought he could have switched at Clemson to.but he couldn't get a year to practice that position and play next year.but realistically I think he didn't want to play second fiddle and was hurt or mad about the situation.

DU82
09-26-2018, 07:26 PM
While benching a successful upperclassman is never easy, Dabo at least did Bryant a favor by doing this after game four, and not later. This gives Bryant a redshirt and allows him to keep a year of eligibility, rather than losing it by starting him one more game.

JasonEvans
09-26-2018, 07:46 PM
I wonder how much he expects to play over the next three years?

Well, there may be a lot of blow outs in which he can get time. Trevor Lawrence, who was considered one of the best QB prospects EVER coming out of high school, will be heading to the NFL as quickly as possible. He will be the #1 draft pick in 2021... book it.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-26-2018, 10:23 PM
While benching a successful upperclassman is never easy, Dabo at least did Bryant a favor by doing this after game four, and not later. This gives Bryant a redshirt and allows him to keep a year of eligibility, rather than losing it by starting him one more game.

Yes, classy by Dabo, as were his comments about Bryant afterwards...

And BTW, boo boo boo to both shows on 99.9 The Fan for their coverage of this story. Amateur hour, even with DG, disappointing.

DukieTiger
09-26-2018, 11:45 PM
Just want to clarify, Bryant didn’t get “benched” - all signs point to Clemson still having plans to use a 2 QB system. He likely would have gotten snaps going forward. That said, hard to blame him for wanting a full season as a starter.

It is ironic though that he paid his dues and felt he was owed something; yet he’s now going to transfer and expect to start (without paying any dues) at a program ahead of other guys who have paid dues of their own. Guess that’s the nature of the beast of college sports now. I wonder if there will ever be a similar redshirt rule for basketball...

Also... The freshman (imho) clearly outplayed Bryant and earned the spot. That offense picks up a certain zip when Lawrence is in. They run the ball with more success because they can stretch the field and the star wideouts are more engaged.

DukieTiger
09-26-2018, 11:46 PM
Yes, classy by Dabo, as were his comments about Bryant afterwards...

And BTW, boo boo boo to both shows on 99.9 The Fan for their coverage of this story. Amateur hour, even with DG, disappointing.

Based on my experience with the shows on 99.9 (not so much DG), I’m just impressed that they covered it at all.

BigWayne
12-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Bryant has landed at Missouri. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25454611/kelly-bryant-ex-clemson-starter-transferring-missouri)

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Bryant has landed at Missouri. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25454611/kelly-bryant-ex-clemson-starter-transferring-missouri)

Good for him...I guess....I couldn't help but wonder though, as Jaylen Hurts came in and saved Bama's bacon....that the biggest loser in all of that was Bryant. Two different ways to handle similar situation. Hurts' story is by far the best.

dudog84
12-04-2018, 09:12 PM
Good for him...I guess...I couldn't help but wonder though, as Jaylen Hurts came in and saved Bama's bacon...that the biggest loser in all of that was Bryant. Two different ways to handle similar situation. Hurts' story is by far the best.

Well, we haven't seen Bryant's story end yet.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Well, we haven't seen Bryant's story end yet.

There's no way it equals the Hurts/Tua then Tua/Hurts combo....not for drama, coming full circle, etc. Bryant's story may end well, but Hurts wins the storybook award. I mean, that was one of the all time great stories in CFB.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Not Carolina, not Auburn.

Win-win in the OPK household.

elvis14
12-05-2018, 09:53 AM
I hope Bryant does well next season. His situation was a bit different than Hurt in that Tua is a Soph, Trevor is a Freshman. Hurt is a Jr, Bryant a Sr. For Bryant, coming off the bench his last year wasn't a good option. As a Clemson alum, I wish he would have stuck it out because it never hurts to have a throwing QB and and a running QB and to be able to attack effectively either way.

PackMan97
12-05-2018, 10:13 AM

I am trying to figure out how everyone can misspell North Carolina so badly. We all know it is a done deal, Bryant to North Carolina along with Chizik as DC and Kill Kingsbury as OC. Done deal. Someone needs to correct the story.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2018, 10:29 AM
I am trying to figure out how everyone can misspell North Carolina so badly. We all know it is a done deal, Bryant to North Carolina along with Chizik as DC and Kill Kingsbury as OC. Done deal. Someone needs to correct the story.

I thought the new DC was going to be Bill Parcells......;)

devildeac
12-05-2018, 11:01 AM

We'd all better damn well hope that Urban doesn't take Mack up on his invitation to come down to cheater hill to help him re-establish that program as today's N&O article mentioned.

dudog84
12-05-2018, 07:34 PM
There's no way it equals the Hurts/Tua then Tua/Hurts combo...not for drama, coming full circle, etc. Bryant's story may end well, but Hurts wins the storybook award. I mean, that was one of the all time great stories in CFB.

What if Bryant leads Missouri to their first national title?

Missouri is a very good but not great team, they were 8-4 this year and are ranked. Their only bad loss was at Alabama. Another loss was by 14 to Georgia. Their other 2 losses were by a total of 3 points. I don't know much about their team (who is returning at what positions, etc.), but a very good experienced quarterback could make a heck of a difference.

JasonEvans
12-05-2018, 07:59 PM

Missouri is a very good but not great team, they were 8-4 this year and are ranked. Their only bad loss was at Alabama. Another loss was by 14 to Georgia. Their other 2 losses were by a total of 3 points. I don't know much about their team (who is returning at what positions, etc.), but a very good experienced quarterback could make a heck of a difference.

Well, the GA game was 33-14 at one point in the 3rd quarter, so it is not like it was a really close contest. They also lost to a thoroughly mediocre South Carolina team.

Mizzu had a experienced QB this season. Senior Drew Lock has thrown for close to 12,000 yards in his career and was probably the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the SEC this season. He will probably be playing on Sundays next year (well, he will probably be holding a clipboard, but you get my drift). I like Bryant, he's a good player, but in this case it is fairly likely he won't be an upgrade over what they had this season.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2018, 08:00 PM

Okay, if that one in ten million happens, then Bryant's story is ahead of Jaylen, unless Jaylen has to help lead Bama to a title. As for Missouri, they had a super duper QB this year. I don't think Bryant is as good as he is. Drew Lock is his name, I think...Bryant is no upgrade there.

EDIT: I see Jason just said almost exactly what I said above.....he beat me to it. GMTA!!

dudog84
12-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Okay, if that one in ten million happens, then Bryant's story is ahead of Jaylen, unless Jaylen has to help lead Bama to a title. As for Missouri, they had a super duper QB this year. I don't think Bryant is as good as he is. Drew Lock is his name, I think...Bryant is no upgrade there.

EDIT: I see Jason just said almost exactly what I said above....he beat me to it. GMTA!!

I'll take those odds. Sheesh.