PDA

View Full Version : Mike Cragg to be St Johns AD

Billy Dat
09-25-2018, 04:02 PM
From Jon Rothstein's twitter account
@JonRothstein
Sources: St. John's will hire Duke's Mike Cragg as its next AD. Cragg was Blue Devils' Deputy AD. Official announcement expected soon. #SJUBB

If true, congratulations. St. Johns has a terrible rep for being stingy, I am thinking fundraising is going to be a huge part of his job.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-25-2018, 04:22 PM
From Jon Rothstein's twitter account
@JonRothstein
Sources: St. John's will hire Duke's Mike Cragg as its next AD. Cragg was Blue Devils' Deputy AD. Official announcement expected soon. #SJUBB

If true, congratulations. St. Johns has a terrible rep for being stingy, I am thinking fundraising is going to be a huge part of his job.

Congrats to Mike. He is Coach K's right hand guy who makes "the business of Duke basketball" work. He has been at the University for over 30 years. St. John's is a very different environment from Duke but is a great school with a lot going for it. Best of luck!

duke74
09-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Congrats to Mike. He is Coach K's right hand guy who makes "the business of Duke basketball" work. He has been at the University for over 30 years. St. John's is a very different environment from Duke but is a great school with a lot going for it. Best of luck!

Agree. A great school with a great mission. Proud to be a full time faculty member here at Tobin (Accountancy Dept) and executive director of The Tobin Center for Executive Education. (My “encore career” after 38 years with Deloitte.)

Being picked to do well in the Big East this year, with returning starters and transfers. And at Cameron this year. (Everyone here knows that I’m routing for a different result this year. 😉)

brianl
09-26-2018, 08:13 AM
Hopefully they'll give a strong look at Troy Austin. Duke FB Alum and current AD at Longwood University.

budwom
09-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Hopefully they'll give a strong look at Troy Austin. Duke FB Alum and current AD at Longwood University.

Sorry, too late mon ami! They hired Austin yesterday (Duke did) as Senior Associate Director of Athletics for Internal Affairs, whatever that may entail...nice to have a former football captain back in a
good capacity...

BD80
09-26-2018, 12:05 PM
... Senior Associate Director of Athletics for Internal Affairs, whatever that may entail...

I know what that means in chapel hill, and that is one BUSY administrator!

budwom
09-26-2018, 12:44 PM
I know what that means in chapel hill, and that is one BUSY administrator!

ah, Crime and Punishment...

devildeac
09-26-2018, 01:27 PM
ah, Crime and no Punishment...

Clarification. :mad:

duke74
12-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Mike was at the Dean's holiday reception at the business school last week. Spoke about his plans. Very professional and articulate. (I had not met him before.)

Had a chance to chat with him after his remarks. Already in gear and generating excitement in the communities (students, faculty, admins and of course alums). SJ has 160K alums and 35K from the business school. Has always been a loyal base, but this is exciting the groups. (While we now have dorms, SJ is still essentially a commuter school - so building the community is especially important since life doesn't necessarily revolve around our campus.)

All love the pedigree (I learned that he was at Duke for long time). Is bringing a very different attitude and professionalism. And knows about the benefits of a "brand."

Also doesn't hurt to start off 12-0, despite the cupcake schedule. I suspect they ("we") will give us a game at CIS later this season. Ponds playing very well - looks like the decision to stay will help him. And an Auburn hardship transfer, Heron, playing well. A hustling team. (Chris M seems to have embraced the transfer/juco channel.)

Mitch Richmond is asst Coach, BTW.

None are accounting majors (I believe), and I teach grads, so haven't had any in my classes yet.