peteandpete
09-23-2018, 09:46 AM
Let's Go Duke!

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
09-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Wonder which VPI shows up?

BandAlum83
09-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Are you sure about the TV coverage? My guide still says Teams TBA for that time slot.

75Crazie
09-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Wonder which VPI shows up?
Um … neither? Virginia Tech will show up, I am sure. I know not of what this "VPI" is.

ns7
09-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Um … neither? Virginia Tech will show up, I am sure. I know not of what this "VPI" is.

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, commonly known as Virginia Tech and by the initialisms VT and VPI, is an American public, land-grant, research university with a main campus in Blacksburg, Virginia, educational facilities in six regions statewide, and a study-abroad site in Lugano, Switzerland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 11:42 AM

As another poster mentioned, VPI is what Virginia Tech used to be referred to.....the names were interchangeable....and they even had a pretty good football team led by a QB named Strock who played for the Dolphins and by a kicker named Strock, no relation, who I think also played in the NFL. They were also referred to as the Gobblers, not the Hokies, at the time.

During those days, VPI was often mistaken for VMI, who has the worst football program in the nation the last 10 years or so. Makes the Ted Roof era at Duke look good.

camion
09-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Formally: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Informally: Virginia Tech

Formerly: Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute

I'm so glad it isn't VAMCPI. :o

A link: https://vt.edu/about/traditions.html

duke2x
09-23-2018, 01:10 PM
VT just dismissed a starting DE from the team.

kcduke75
09-23-2018, 01:27 PM

Addition by subtraction?

Any backstory?

I assume that they have some depth with their historically good recruiting.

BigWayne
09-23-2018, 01:29 PM

https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/virginia-tech-defensive-end-trevon-hill-dismissed-from-team/article_22eae968-bf4c-11e8-844d-e79dd96cdc67.html

No good information on why, but hints of problems earlier in the year.

peloton
09-23-2018, 01:51 PM
I really want to win this game against the Hokies Sat night (Thad Lewis getting pummelled at least twice way after releasing the ball several years ago is still a vivid memory in my mind). However, more importantly a victory against VT would obviously be huge for so many reasons. It matters little that they just lost to ODU - they've had a strong program for years. Obviously, the Hokies will be fired up, angry, whatever you wish to call it come Saturday night. We better be prepared to match their intensity early in the game especially. We laid an egg in our televised game against Miami at home last year. We've got some momentum now but we need to take it up a few notches. I think we can do it but how hungry is this team? We'll soon find out. I hope this team plays Saturday night with a chip on their shoulder (yeah, it's a cliche), keeping in mind that respect is earned.

Let's earn some...go Duke!

Bob Green
09-23-2018, 01:57 PM
The dismissed DE is Trevon Hill:

Hill, a junior from Virginia Beach, was one of the Hokies' most effective defenders and one of just four returning starters from last season. He'd compiled 11 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and three QB hurries through three games, and he had 20 tackles for loss in his career.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24770479/virginia-tech-dismisses-trevon-hill-team

chrishoke
09-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Addition by subtraction?

Any backstory?

I assume that they have some depth with their historically good recruiting.

He was their leader in sacks.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 02:22 PM
Formally: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Informally: Virginia Tech

Formerly: Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute

I'm so glad it isn't VAMCPI. :o

A link: https://vt.edu/about/traditions.html

That would be almost as bad as UIPUI

Spell check: IUPUI
Pronunciation: ooey-pooey

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2018, 02:50 PM

People calling the Hokies "VPI" is one of my most annoying aggravations. And I don't even like them.

Happy to see Duke got some respect in both our #22 ranking and in the game being on ESPN2 instead of the U.

devildeac
09-23-2018, 02:54 PM
People calling the Hokies "VPI" is one of my most annoying aggravations. And I don't even like them.

Happy to see Duke got some respect in both our #22 ranking and in the game being on ESPN2 instead of the U.

CB&B shared this with me:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24770479/virginia-tech-dismisses-trevon-hill-team

Never mind. I see a few folks upthread beat me to it. Damn, I'm slow and/or need to spend more time reading DBR:o:rolleyes:.

OldPhiKap
09-23-2018, 03:10 PM
I really want to win this game against the Hokies Sat night (Thad Lewis getting pummelled at least twice way after releasing the ball several years ago is still a vivid memory in my mind). However, more importantly a victory against VT would obviously be huge for so many reasons. It matters little that they just lost to ODU - they've had a strong program for years. Obviously, the Hokies will be fired up, angry, whatever you wish to call it come Saturday night. We better be prepared to match their intensity early in the game especially. We laid an egg in our televised game against Miami at home last year. We've got some momentum now but we need to take it up a few notches. I think we can do it but how hungry is this team? We'll soon find out. I hope this team plays Saturday night with a chip on their shoulder (yeah, it's a cliche), keeping in mind that respect is earned.

Let's earn some...go Duke!

One of the post-game player interviews, maybe Quentin, noted that we started 4-0 last year and look what happened. “We all remember that.” So yeah, I expect them to come out focused.

You are exactly right about starting strong and matching intensity. First conference game, our house. Get it done.

Indoor66
09-23-2018, 04:08 PM

I'm with you on the aggravation point. I guess you and I are not cool enough.

BigWayne
09-23-2018, 04:13 PM
The dismissed DE is Trevon Hill:

Yes. I posted the Roanoke version above. When this sort of thing happens and I see it on ESPN.com, I like to go look to see what the local newspaper has on it because they almost always have more detailed information and less editorialization.

OldPhiKap
09-23-2018, 04:45 PM
Duke opens (-3) favorite.

Pghdukie
09-23-2018, 06:52 PM
Any update on VT QB situation ?

Wander
09-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Duke opens (-3) favorite.

Someone in the chat last week suggested that VT was an automatic loss. Not trying to give them a hard time, just pointing out that we're legitimately good right now.

It'd be super fun to win next week and be one of the last handful of undefeated teams in mid-October (we have a bye after VT)....

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 08:45 PM
Someone in the chat last week suggested that VT was an automatic loss. Not trying to give them a hard time, just pointing out that we're legitimately good right now.

It'd be super fun to win next week and be one of the last handful of undefeated teams in mid-October (we have a bye after VT)...

I think maybe a few around here had VT, Miami and Clemson as auto losses in their projections. I think only Clemson is in that category...and I thought Miami was the second hardest game and VT maybe third - but I always thought Miami and VT were doable.

loran16
09-23-2018, 09:45 PM

None expected till tomorrow, but I'd expect him to be out based upon how the injury looked. That said, the backup, Ryan Willis is a transfer junior who played two seasons behind a miserable Kansas team and looked very solid against ODU (their loss to the Monarchs was NOT due to offense, but defense). The numbers at KU weren't very good but again, that was with some lousy weapons. He also didn't serve as a dual threat guy for KU but will be far more likely to run for VT.

Hopefully Michael Carter will be healthy for the game next week so we have some more depth in the secondary to handle the VT passing Offense.

duke2x
09-24-2018, 12:36 AM
None expected till tomorrow, but I'd expect him to be out based upon how the injury looked. That said, the backup, Ryan Willis is a transfer junior who played two seasons behind a miserable Kansas team and looked very solid against ODU (their loss to the Monarchs was NOT due to offense, but defense). The numbers at KU weren't very good but again, that was with some lousy weapons. He also didn't serve as a dual threat guy for KU but will be far more likely to run for VT.

Hopefully Michael Carter will be healthy for the game next week so we have some more depth in the secondary to handle the VT passing Offense.

Recognizing the maxim about lies and statistics, you are correct. VT was #94 in pass defense v. FSU and Bill & Mary--ODU is TBA in that ranking. Duke is #34 in pass defense efficiency in those same rankings (NCCU is TBA), significantly better they have faced.

I'm getting a vibe like the 2nd half of the Northwestern game that features two #2 QBs.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2018, 09:45 AM

FWIW, Vegas is listing Josh Jackson as "Doubtful" in setting the line at -3.5 Duke. Obviously could change, and given that the ACC scrapped injury reports we will not know until we know I suspect.

Good thing we've played two P5 teams already with similar QB unknowns as to who will play and how long (NU, Baylor) so we should be used to preparing for both.

CameronBornAndBred
09-24-2018, 11:17 AM
That said, the backup, Ryan Willis is a transfer junior who played two seasons behind a miserable Kansas team and looked very solid against ODU (their loss to the Monarchs was NOT due to offense, but defense).

Nobody played defense that game. It was non-existent on both sides. FSU's defense took the day off in their first game, too. Duke's D is going to be the first real challenge they have faced, which is another factor that tips the outcome in our favor, as long as our offense continues to play well.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2018, 11:22 AM
Nobody played defense that game. It was non-existent on both sides. FSU's defense took the day off in their first game, too. Duke's D is going to be the first real challenge they have faced, which is another factor that tips the outcome in our favor, as long as our offense continues to play well.

I would like to watch a replay of the ODU game, it is hard to believe that VT's defense was as porous as the stats seem to suggest.

I expect a ton of Bud Foster blitzes against a still relatively untested QB. Quentin's pre-snap reads and post-snap adjustments are going to be tested. Losing their leading sacker and tackles-for-losses-er is big too.

Duke seems to have moved to (-6) in some books, FWIW.

sagegrouse
09-24-2018, 11:28 AM
I would like to watch a replay of the ODU game, it is hard to believe that VT's defense was as porous as the stats seem to suggest.

I expect a ton of Bud Foster blitzes against a still relatively untested QB. Quentin's pre-snap reads and post-snap adjustments are going to be tested. Losing their leading sacker and tackles-for-losses-er is big too.

I expect the VT defense will be turbocharged, and we will be prepared to take advantage of their over-eagerness and over-pursuit.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2018, 11:32 AM
I expect the VT defense will be turbocharged, and we will be prepared to take advantage of their over-eagerness and over-pursuit.

Sounds like you are expecting a lot of swing passes . . . .

j/k, kinda.

That first TD screen pass to Britain last week was a thing of beauty. And QH's TD fade to Rahming against the Baylor blitz had great touch. I think if the O line does well and QH does not hold the ball too long, Zac can come up with a game plan to exploit.

budwom
09-24-2018, 11:51 AM
I sure don't mind that VT's best pass rusher was tossed off the team, I think that has more significance than the QB change.

duke2x
09-24-2018, 12:16 PM
FWIW, Vegas is listing Josh Jackson as "Doubtful" in setting the line at -3.5 Duke. Obviously could change, and given that the ACC scrapped injury reports we will not know until we know I suspect.

Jackson has a broken leg. He's out.

PackMan97
09-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Re: Duke's newly minted Top 25 ranking.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1043928245899595777

This is the first time Duke and Kentucky have been ranked in the same football AP poll since the Sept. 14, 1957 poll.

They have been ranked in the same basketball AP poll 547 teams in that span.

du_bb1
09-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Looks like back up QB is transfer from Kansas-big boy at 6'4" 225, has had some PT-unknown quality. Losing their leading sack man and TFL man is helpful

Reilly
09-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Jackson has a broken leg. He's out.

Here's an article on it: https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/virginia-tech/article_6af1bbf8-c00d-11e8-b632-27e40d5f09ca.html

We lost our QB and defensive stud (at NU) and then had to travel (to Baylor) and we rallied. Now VT facing what we faced.

DU82
09-24-2018, 03:19 PM
Here's an article on it: https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/virginia-tech/article_6af1bbf8-c00d-11e8-b632-27e40d5f09ca.html

We lost our QB and defensive stud (at NU) and then had to travel (to Baylor) and we rallied. Now VT facing what we faced.

Even without them, we were still the better team. We didn't rally, we dominated. I can't say the same right now for VT (being the better team in their next game.)

Reilly
09-24-2018, 03:39 PM
... We didn't rally, we dominated ...

I meant "rally" in the dictionary sense -- come together again in order to continue fighting or recover in health, spirits, or poise -- not in the sports sense of overcoming a deficit during the game. We were underdogs on the road and had lost stars on both sides of the ball to surgery -- Cut and the program most definitely rallied that week in preparing for Baylor, and it resulted in dominating on Saturday. When things look bleak (as they do for VT), that can be a motivating force for a team.

DU82
09-24-2018, 05:13 PM
I meant "rally" in the dictionary sense -- come together again in order to continue fighting or recover in health, spirits, or poise -- not in the sports sense of overcoming a deficit during the game. We were underdogs on the road and had lost stars on both sides of the ball to surgery -- Cut and the program most definitely rallied that week in preparing for Baylor, and it resulted in dominating on Saturday. When things look bleak (as they do for VT), that can be a motivating force for a team.

Sure, pull out the dictionary. :rolleyes: But really Reilly, we rallied.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2018, 05:19 PM
There's only one rally that matters --

"Gumball"

loran16
09-24-2018, 07:11 PM

From reading VT blogs and articles, it appears their secondary is REALLY REALLY young and untested this year. Good pedigrees as you might expect, but there's not a lot of depth and the lack of experience has allowed teams - not just ODU - to find open men at a decent rate. VT's success on D has come from the line this year, and losing one of their best weapons there will hurt - basically, if our OLine can provide protection, Harris should have open receivers to target.....Lloyd should have a big opportunity for a few deep balls against VaTech.

Bob Green
09-24-2018, 07:15 PM
- basically, if our OLine can provide protection, Harris should have open receivers to target....Lloyd should have a big opportunity for a few deep balls against VaTech.

Hopefully, Aaron Young will be ready and back on the field. I do not desire to see any player rushed backed from injury, and hamstrings tend to linger, but with VT's secondary situation being full strength at wide receiver is desireable.

loran16
09-24-2018, 07:25 PM
Hopefully, Aaron Young will be ready and back on the field. I do not desire to see any player rushed backed from injury, and hamstrings tend to linger, but with VT's secondary situation being full strength at wide receiver is desireable.

As our tallest receiver, Young would be very helpful - another common thread from the VT blogs was that ODU's top two WRs were rather tall (6'4-ish) and were able to out-grab the VT corners repeatedly. So another option Duke might consider is a heavy dose of Tight End throws, with all three Duke TEs listed at 6'4".

Scorp4me
09-24-2018, 08:27 PM
As our tallest receiver, Young would be very helpful - another common thread from the VT blogs was that ODU's top two WRs were rather tall (6'4-ish) and were able to out-grab the VT corners repeatedly. So another option Duke might consider is a heavy dose of Tight End throws, with all three Duke TEs listed at 6'4".

I believe the freshman Bobo is quite tall and reportedly has a tendency to catch anything in his vicinity (as evidenced by the nice catch in the NCCU game). Although admittedly while he has played in all four games to the point, he hasn't play important snaps so don't mean to imply high expectations too soon.

loran16
09-24-2018, 08:59 PM
I believe the freshman Bobo is quite tall and reportedly has a tendency to catch anything in his vicinity (as evidenced by the nice catch in the NCCU game). Although admittedly while he has played in all four games to the point, he hasn't play important snaps so don't mean to imply high expectations too soon.

He's the tallest WR yes (6'4") but yes I suspect he won't be getting as much playing time as he did last week...still too early especially given his early season injuries and the success of Lloyd and Rahming.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2018, 10:10 PM
fWIW, at least this Hokie describes the resulting QB situation as pretty positive and frankly more like facing Daniel Jones than a traditional pocket QB:

https://www.gobblercountry.com/2018/9/24/17898538/the-new-virginia-tech-quarterback-situation-acc-football

(Can’t find a good VT chat board unfortunately)

loran16
09-24-2018, 11:00 PM
fWIW, at least this Hokie describes the resulting QB situation as pretty positive and frankly more like facing Daniel Jones than a traditional pocket QB:

https://www.gobblercountry.com/2018/9/24/17898538/the-new-virginia-tech-quarterback-situation-acc-football

(Can’t find a good VT chat board unfortunately)

Try The Key Play, which is a good VT site for analysis on their team as well as seemingly a decent sized forum: http://www.thekeyplay.com/forums/football-forum

brevity
09-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Duke's collection (https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dfp?_=1537838589818&f%5Bcategory_facet_sim%5D%5B%5D=Virginia+Tech) has a few Virginia Tech program covers for games held in semi-neutral places: Roanoke, Norfolk, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem.

These are two covers from a Durham game, specifically the Homecoming game of October 22, 1949. (Also a Week 5 game against a conference opponent, back when both were in the Southern Conference, and fall sports started in the fall.) Duke beat Virginia Tech 55-7.

Apologies if these images re-ignite the VPI vs. VT debate.

Reilly
09-24-2018, 11:05 PM
Hokies have 6 SRs on 2-deep: http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-hokies-odu-0925-story.html

jbay201
09-24-2018, 11:47 PM
this team is really good this year...with daniel jones back does anyone think we have a shot at taking down clemson i mean no more deshawn watson...

duke2x
09-24-2018, 11:59 PM
this team is really good this year...with daniel jones back does anyone think we have a shot at taking down clemson i mean no more deshawn watson...

You are looking way too far ahead. We have not won down there since 1981 and are 4-? lifetime. (Coincidentally, Clemson is 4-? in Cameron.)

jbay201
09-25-2018, 12:11 AM
You are looking way too far ahead. We have not won down there since 1981 and are 4-? lifetime. (Coincidentally, Clemson is 4-? in Cameron.)

i guess its not ok to be excited for duke football! you need to lighten up and actual start to believe more in our team if not just for fun (no expected us be 4-0 at this point).

Old dominion was favored to lose by 30 points to VT..you think we will be favored to lose by more than that to clemson...anything is possible this year i feel

OldPhiKap
09-25-2018, 07:22 AM

I dunno — but starting to clear that weekend for a possible trip up there. Death Valley is a great place to see a game.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Try The Key Play, which is a good VT site for analysis on their team as well as seemingly a decent sized forum: http://www.thekeyplay.com/forums/football-forum

Thanks.

Not a lot of focus on us yet, more introspection about the ODU mess. I guess that’s understandable.

chrishoke
09-25-2018, 10:14 AM
I dunno — but starting to clear that weekend for a possible trip up there. Death Valley is a great place to see a game.

I have my tickets already. I haven't been in 28 years. We lost then 26-7. Our only score was a kick off return.

BandAlum83
09-25-2018, 10:58 AM
I have my tickets already. I haven't been in 28 years. We lost then 26-7. Our only score was a kick off return.

My last time there was 1981 as part of DUMB. The Clemson fans were amazingly gracious in defeat and it was a great place to see a game.

Interestingly, Clemson may just have been so embarrassed by the Loss, they won out the season and went undefeated the following season to win the National Championship.

That's right, we were the last team to beat them before they won the championship!

Between the sportsmanship their fans displayed, and the great Myrtle Beach shagging during beach week with the Clemson Cuties, I have very positive feelings toward Clemson.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2018, 11:02 AM
My last time there was 1981 as part of DUMB. The Clemson fans were amazingly gracious in defeat and it was a great place to see a game.

Interestingly, Clemson may just have been so embarrassed by the Loss, they won out the season and went undefeated the following season to win the National Championship.

That's right, we were the last team to beat them before they won the championship!

Between the sportsmanship their fans displayed, and the great Myrtle Beach shagging during beach week with the Clemson Cuties, I have very positive feelings toward Clemson.

It is also a beautiful campus, especially in the fall when the leaves are changing.

Littlejohn is an intense place too, at least when we roll into town.

chrishoke
09-25-2018, 11:44 AM
It is also a beautiful campus, especially in the fall when the leaves are changing.

Littlejohn is an intense place too, at least when we roll into town.

LOL, I saw Duke get beat by Clemson in Littlejohn 101-69, probably 1975.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Yikes.

They have done at least two renovations to Littlejohn since then, FWIW. So hopefully the ghosts of 1975 have been liberated.

DukieInKansas
09-25-2018, 11:50 AM

I've thought about it - but too much traveling already this year, my tickets would be with Clemson staff & families, and I will be going to Clemson in December for my nephew's hooding ceremony (fingers crossed). If it had worked out, I was hoping to actually meet OPK and family while there.

killerleft
09-25-2018, 11:56 AM
i guess its not ok to be excited for duke football! you need to lighten up and actual start to believe more in our team if not just for fun (no expected us be 4-0 at this point).

Old dominion was favored to lose by 30 points to VT..you think we will be favored to lose by more than that to clemson...anything is possible this year i feel

I, for one, am not discounting Duke's chances at Clemson - yet. A lot of things have to fall into place before we can go down there with the reasonable expectation of a real fighting chance, though.

By the way, do you have another moniker on this board? You remind me of another poster, I just can't think of his name right now... starts with 'O', I think.

91Duke
09-25-2018, 12:40 PM

I remember that game! 1990 - bunch of friends and I drove down from Duke to Death Valley for the game and had a fantastic time. We had beaten Clemson in Durham the year before and everyone was really optimistic about doing it again at their place. It didn't turn out that way, but just being at Death Valley was a blast anyway.

[but yes, it is too early this year to be thinking about Clemson]

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2018, 01:39 PM
HA! A quote from an article talking about the footsteps Harris will be following in.

In a game that will forever be remembered by Duke fans as the inspiration behind the “Asack Drinking Game,” (fans take a sip of their beverage of choice for every designed quarterback run) Asack took the snap from the shotgun formation and ran up the middle on 24 of Duke’s 49 offensive plays.
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/harris-looks-to-join-other-qb2s-in-duke-virginia-tech-history-books/17872519/

devildeac
09-25-2018, 02:15 PM
HA! A quote from an article talking about the footsteps Harris will be following in.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/harris-looks-to-join-other-qb2s-in-duke-virginia-tech-history-books/17872519/

We're famous! (sort of)

Indoor66
09-25-2018, 02:37 PM

I was there for the 1979-80 loss. Little john rocks when Duke is in the house.

Acymetric
09-25-2018, 03:26 PM
So out of curiosity (because there seems to be a perception among some that we tend to lose once we get ranked) I decided to see how we fare as a ranked team under Coach Cut (this is using the AP poll).

We are exactly .500 (5-5) as a ranked team (starting in the 2013 10-4 season). If you exclude bowl games and the conference championship, we are 5-3. So, no reason to be concerned about some kind of "rankings curse" here (in fact, we are 3-0 in our first week ranked during that span). Bring on the Hokies!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-25-2018, 03:44 PM
I remember that game! 1990 - bunch of friends and I drove down from Duke to Death Valley for the game and had a fantastic time. We had beaten Clemson in Durham the year before and everyone was really optimistic about doing it again at their place. It didn't turn out that way, but just being at Death Valley was a blast anyway.

Try being at Death Valley when the Gamecocks come to town...last and only time I was, it was the game when Clemson first broke out the orange pants. For reasons owing to too much beer the night before, and too much bourbon the day of, and not knowing my way around Death Valley - I was lost and was probably the first fan, literally the first fan, to see the orange pants.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2018, 03:47 PM
So out of curiosity (because there seems to be a perception among some that we tend to lose once we get ranked) I decided to see how we fare as a ranked team under Coach Cut (this is using the AP poll).

We are exactly .500 (5-5) as a ranked team (starting in the 2013 10-4 season). If you exclude bowl games and the conference championship, we are 5-3. So, no reason to be concerned about some kind of "rankings curse" here (in fact, we are 3-0 in our first week ranked during that span). Bring on the Hokies!

Part of maturing as a team is learning how to handle the pressure of expectations.

These guys wanna compete for a championship? This is how you do it!

LGD!!!

loran16
09-25-2018, 05:50 PM
We're famous! (sort of)

Saw that and had to avoid cracking up laughing since I was in court lol

devildeac
09-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Saw that and had to avoid cracking up laughing since I was in court lol

Bring back loran's sig!!!!

jbay201
09-25-2018, 07:52 PM
team should be play loose and realize that we are playing with house money at this point after losing daniel jones to injury (Hopefully not for long though but likely this next game)...harris is doing great but jones is an nfl starter qb (way better than game manager down in chitown)

feel we got a great chance in any game this year with coach cutcliffe he has beyond exceeding my expectations...didn't even know duke could ever qualify for a bowl game prior to him!

loran16
09-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Bring back loran's sig!!!!

Wait, why didn't it post? Maybe cuz I was on mobile? Weird.

But I hope not to be fatally drinking this time around lol.

Bob Green
09-26-2018, 07:11 AM
Jim Sumner on Virginia Tech:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/26/17904466/duke-football-wednesday-notes-david-cutcliffe-virginia-tech

What to make of that ODU game?

David Cutcliffe says not much.

He calls it an “outlier,” especially the 49 points allowed by Bud Foster’s usually solid defense.

The article contains a small update on team health, comments from Quentin Harris on Brittain Brown's 44 yard TD reception via a screen pass and other tidbits of information.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2018, 07:31 AM

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/26/17904466/duke-football-wednesday-notes-david-cutcliffe-virginia-tech

The article contains a small update on team health, comments from Quentin Harris on Brittain Brown's 44 yard TD reception via a screen pass and other tidbits of information.

A must-read, as always.

budwom
09-26-2018, 09:41 AM

Ha, yes small update on health, very very small...some guys may or may not play, that's about all we'll get out of Cut...I fear we will not see Cerenord or Carter, both of whom would be helpful.

devildeac
09-26-2018, 06:35 PM
I've seen Bob Green's prediction for a Duke victory on Saturday. Must be crazietalk...

I'll go with:

Duke 28

(mostly) flightless birds 24

DU82
09-26-2018, 07:28 PM
I've seen Bob Green's prediction for a Duke victory on Saturday. Must be crazietalk...

I'll go with:

Duke 28

(mostly) flightless birds 24

Best defense wins. 35-14 Good Guys, one of the turkeys’ TDS comes on D.

duke2x
09-26-2018, 07:43 PM
The only stat that sticks out after 3-4 games is VT's pass defense. We need to take advantage of it without sacks and INTs. My main concern is TOs and particularly ST mistakes. A XP or missed field goal could prove fatal to our chances of winning. We have a history of low scoring games with them. Much like Northwestern, I think the defenses dominate.

VT----16
Duke--17

Bob Green
09-26-2018, 09:57 PM
Duke 31, Virginia Tech 21

The key will be a balanced offensive attack. Duke must successfully run and pass the ball. Do we run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run? I'll leave that up to the coaches who establish the game plan but I know we must do both to succeed.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2018, 10:04 PM
Duke 24, VT 20.

devildeac
09-26-2018, 10:07 PM
Best defense wins. 35-14 Good Guys, one of the turkeys’ TDS comes on D.

Bold. Very bold. A 3 TD margin of victory. I'll buy you a beer/soft drink/iced tea after the game if we win like this and it'll be worth it as my mental and physical well being and stability will have great difficulty with "only" a 3-5 point win :o.

BandAlum83
09-26-2018, 10:40 PM
I'll take Duke, 63 - 0.

Hey, no matter what I predict I won't get it, so I might as well be optimistic!

CameronBornAndBred
09-26-2018, 10:47 PM
My only prediction is that this will be the first game that the kickers feel true pressure. I've been happy with the way they've performed, but Saturday will bring some stress sweat.

cato
09-26-2018, 10:55 PM
Duke comes out ready to prove something and rolls!

OldPhiKap
09-26-2018, 11:07 PM
My only prediction is that this will be the first game that the kickers feel true pressure. I've been happy with the way they've performed, but Saturday will bring some stress sweat.

I think this is spot on.

uh_no
09-26-2018, 11:07 PM
I'll take Duke, 63 - 0.

Hey, no matter what I predict I won't get it, so I might as well be optimistic!

uhhhh....shouldn't you be picking VT then?

BandAlum83
09-27-2018, 12:52 AM
uhhhh...shouldn't you be picking VT then?

Uh, no

OZZIE4DUKE
09-27-2018, 06:56 AM
Us more, them fewer. LGD GTHc! 9F!

OldPhiKap
09-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Interesting take from Gobbler Nation:

http://www.thekeyplay.com/virginia-tech-football/2018/09/16732/halfwits-and-wagers-already-over-2018-season

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2018, 07:54 AM
Interesting take from Gobbler Nation:

http://www.thekeyplay.com/virginia-tech-football/2018/09/16732/halfwits-and-wagers-already-over-2018-season

Thanks for the find. I don't know if those guys qualify as "Gobbler Nation" - but they're half way funny and of course very much in self deprecating mode after ODU. This line was interesting to me....about Duke's offense: "They're a typical Grandpa Cutcliffe unit — well-schemed, fundamentally sound, and athletically challenged.*"

Hopefully Brittain, a WR or two, and Q can help overcome the "athletically challenged" notion....

wilson
09-27-2018, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the find. I don't know if those guys qualify as "Gobbler Nation" - but they're half way funny and of course very much in self deprecating mode after ODU. This line was interesting to me...about Duke's offense: "They're a typical Grandpa Cutcliffe unit — well-schemed, fundamentally sound, and athletically challenged.*"

Hopefully Brittain, a WR or two, and Q can help overcome the "athletically challenged" notion...Obligatory Doug Gottlieb reference

OldPhiKap
09-27-2018, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the find. I don't know if those guys qualify as "Gobbler Nation" - but they're half way funny and of course very much in self deprecating mode after ODU. This line was interesting to me...about Duke's offense: "They're a typical Grandpa Cutcliffe unit — well-schemed, fundamentally sound, and athletically challenged.*"

Hopefully Brittain, a WR or two, and Q can help overcome the "athletically challenged" notion...

Yeah, he also added that he has only seen two minutes of a Duke game all year so I think he is relying on past stereotype. "This ain't your grandpa's Duke offense"

They don't seem to take themselves too seriously, which is refreshing.

chrishoke
09-27-2018, 10:45 AM

Uniform for Saturday - white pants.

DU82
09-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Let’s hear it for the BLUE and WHITE on national Tv!!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2018, 12:14 PM

Uniform for Saturday - white pants.

That's probably my favorite combo!

TruBlu
09-27-2018, 12:25 PM
That's probably my favorite combo!

Yep, mine also. It’s the colors I will be wearing for my first game to attend this year (family conflicts kept me from the first two - granddaughter’s birthday party, etc.). So I will look very similar to the picture, without the helmet, the numbers & lettering, and those mysterious bulges in that guy’s arms.

Highlander
09-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Since we're talking about close Clemson losses at Death Valley in a VT thread, I noticed no one mentioned November 8, 1997. I was there with DUMB. Duke managed to lose by 9 in an overtime game, which is a pretty impressive feat. IIRC, it was the first OT Football game Duke had ever played in. Duke held Clemson to a FG on their opening OT possession and then threw a pick-6 to end the game on their first possession. It was one of several close losses for the Devils down the stretch that year.

Back to VT - I think this is definitely a statement game for us. This will be the first "traditional football school powerhouse" we have played this year, we're playing at home, and we're favored. I predict the stadium will be filled with at least 40% Hokie fans, which will not be a true home field advantage. I would like nothing more than a comfortable win of 10+ points where we control both sides of the ball. I think defense will be telling. What I will be watching for is our ability to limit VT from converting big plays on offense. If the score is close as Vegas predicts, a big play can change the complexion of the game in an instant.

We have struggled mightily winning marquee games like this in the past. As Ric Flair opined, "To BE the man, you've got to BEAT the man!"

budwom
09-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Since we're talking about close Clemson losses at Death Valley in a VT thread, I noticed no one mentioned November 8, 1997. I was there with DUMB. Duke managed to lose by 9 in an overtime game, which is a pretty impressive feat. IIRC, it was the first OT Football game Duke had ever played in. Duke held Clemson to a FG on their opening OT possession and then threw a pick-6 to end the game on their first possession. It was one of several close losses for the Devils down the stretch that year.

Back to VT - I think this is definitely a statement game for us. This will be the first "traditional football school powerhouse" we have played this year, we're playing at home, and we're favored. I predict the stadium will be filled with at least 40% Hokie fans, which will not be a true home field advantage. I would like nothing more than a comfortable win of 10+ points where we control both sides of the ball. I think defense will be telling. What I will be watching for is our ability to limit VT from converting big plays on offense. If the score is close as Vegas predicts, a big play can change the complexion of the game in an instant.

We have struggled mightily winning marquee games like this in the past. As Ric Flair opined, "To BE the man, you've got to BEAT the man!"

I'd have to say that Baylor qualifies as a traditional football school powerhouse, even if they aren't at the top of their game now (nor is Va Tech). But yes, an unusually big game for our lads.

The nine point loss in overtime is clear in my memory, exemplifying life during The Dark Years, for example having something like a five point lead over Maryland with 11 seconds left (?) and Maryland with the ball on their twelve yard line (precise details may be off, but not by much). Two plays later we lost.

jimsumner
09-27-2018, 01:49 PM
I'd have to say that Baylor qualifies as a traditional football school powerhouse, even if they aren't at the top of their game now (nor is Va Tech). But yes, an unusually big game for our lads.

The nine point loss in overtime is clear in my memory, exemplifying life during The Dark Years, for example having something like a five point lead over Maryland with 11 seconds left (?) and Maryland with the ball on their twelve yard line (precise details may be off, but not by much). Two plays later we lost.

Maryland had the ball on their 11-yard line, 11 seconds left and no timeouts.

And won.

A hail Mary pass, caught and OOB, stopping the clock. Then another Hail Mary pass into the end zone, for the score.

Duke had about five guys in the end zone, surrounding the Maryland receiver. The receiver was the only one who bothered to jump.

John Kaleo was the QB, Marcus Badgett the receiver.

And yes, I have a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iq0xzHpn2M

budwom
09-27-2018, 01:54 PM
no link required Jim, it's vivid in my memory, an utterly hapless, inexcusable loss. Our guys (if properly coached) could have tackled all receivers on the first play, thereby putting the ball on the Merlin 26 (15 yard penalty). Would've have made reaching the end zone virtually impossible on the second play.

Highlander
09-27-2018, 02:31 PM

I guess it depends on how you define "powerhouse." If someone asked me "Who are the traditional powerhouse football programs in the Big 12?", Baylor would not be a team I would mention. But to be fair, I don't follow B12 football all that closely.

But as Nigel Tufnel famously said "That's nitpicking, isn't it?"

CameronBlue
09-27-2018, 03:06 PM
I guess it depends on how you define "powerhouse." If someone asked me "Who are the traditional powerhouse football programs in the Big 12?", Baylor would not be a team I would mention. But to be fair, I don't follow B12 football all that closely.

But as Nigel Tufnel* famously said "That's nitpicking, isn't it?"

* Commissioner of the Big 10 from 1990 to 2011

arnie
09-27-2018, 03:09 PM

Maryland had the ball on their 11-yard line, 11 seconds left and no timeouts.

And won.

A hail Mary pass, caught and OOB, stopping the clock. Then another Hail Mary pass into the end zone, for the score.

Duke had about five guys in the end zone, surrounding the Maryland receiver. The receiver was the only one who bothered to jump.

John Kaleo was the QB, Marcus Badgett the receiver.

And yes, I have a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iq0xzHpn2M

Thanks for ruining my day👹

I was at that game and swore off Duke football forever. Of course, it didn’t stick. I thought they were at their own 13 yard line when the “drive” started but whatever. Think I’ll walk around my building and be thankful of other blessings.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2018, 03:09 PM
* Commissioner of the Big 10 from 1990 to 2011

Is that when the Big 10 went to 11?

budwom
09-27-2018, 04:19 PM

But as Nigel Tufnel famously said "That's nitpicking, isn't it?"

certainly true they are not a long term football power in the Big 12, but they did win more than nine games/year from 2011 thru 2016, including a couple of conference titles..certainly a legit Power5 team, though since The Great Catastrophe, they have been something of a disorganized mess (which they pretty much deserve).

swiseman
09-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Remember when Anthony Boone needed only five weeks to recover from a broken collarbone in 2013? He and Daniel Jones have talked regularly over the past three weeks about the injury.
Here's what Boone told me about Jones:

“He’s a great kid. He’s a helluva competitor. I fully expected a quick recovery. I knew he was going to do whatever it takes to get back on the field. The team is really important to him. Duke is really important to him.”

That recovery is close -- very close -- to being completed

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article219116570.html

budwom
09-27-2018, 04:40 PM
^ good article, Steve...prying the tiniest bit of injury info out of our coach is not a simple task...

devildeac
09-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Remember when Anthony Boone needed only five weeks to recover from a broken collarbone in 2013? He and Daniel Jones have talked regularly over the past three weeks about the injury.

“He’s a great kid. He’s a helluva competitor. I fully expected a quick recovery. I knew he was going to do whatever it takes to get back on the field. The team is really important to him. Duke is really important to him.”

More great stuff, Steve. Thanks again.

This stuff was darned good, too, in this morning's N&O:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article219015740.html

cato
09-27-2018, 04:46 PM
More great stuff, Steve. Thanks again.

This stuff was darned good, too, in this morning's N&O:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article219015740.html

Co-sign. This provides some nice perspective. It’s great to get both the detailed nitty-gritty and the long view from both Steve and Jim.

swiseman
09-27-2018, 04:49 PM
Probably won't make the final decision on Jones until Saturday. But even if he doesn't play against VT, looks like the Georgia Tech game is looking certain. Considering how bad it looked when it happened, that's pretty good. Cut said he's given all three quarterbacks reps in practice this week -- Jones, Harris and Katrenick. He said, after watching game film, the hit that landed Harris on the sideline last week should have led to a surgery but Harris was lucky.

Some progress for Aaron Young and Edgar Cerenord. Same for Zach Harmon. McDuffie responded well to playing last week. Not as much hope for Michael Carter.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2018, 05:33 PM
Co-sign. This provides some nice perspective. It’s great to get both the detailed nitty-gritty and the long view from both Steve and Jim.

Was just thinking the same thing. We are lucky to have many knowledgeable people around these parts, and the high journalism of Jim and Steve is always wonderful.

Add in the Podcast team, whose football acumen is recognized all the way down to Waco, Texas, and it makes clowns like me feel lucky to just hang around.

Let’s go DUKE!!!!!

swiseman
09-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Was just thinking the same thing. We are lucky to have many knowledgeable people around these parts, and the high journalism of Jim and Steve is always wonderful.

Add in the Podcast team, whose football acumen is recognized all the way down to Waco, Texas, and it makes clowns like me feel lucky to just hang around.

Let’s go DUKE!!!!!

Thanks to you both. I appreciate you reading. Glad to provide what I can.

DU82
09-27-2018, 05:47 PM

Baylor as a "powerhouse" was a blip on the radar. They were at mediocre in the SWC, got pulled into the Big 8-->12 by politics, and floundered for years. They didn't have a winning record in the Big12 until Briles came in ('95-'10), and it took him a few years. And we now know some of the stuff going on there while Briles was in charge.

Back in the '70s and '80s, my brother (A Horned Frog) and I argued about whose school had the worse football program. It was usually TCU. They had a blip of good fortune under Jim Wacker, but then he turned the program in because boosters didn't stop paying players as they had promised him they would. (TCU then got penalized more than other SWC at the time who didn't confess, which didn't go over well with Wacker, and ultimately led him to move to Minnesota.) Their recent resurgence is due to Gary Patterson. Don't know if they'll sustain their good play after he leaves. (Not that I'd expect he'd leave for any other job.)

Banana
09-27-2018, 08:42 PM
The latest update to my unofficial depth chart is attached. 8691

The names of five key injured players (Daniel Jones, Aaron Young, Zach Harmon, /Edgar Cerenord and Michael Carter) who have not gotten back into action yet are shaded in gray. It appears from Steve Wiseman's post #109 that all of them other than Michael Carter have a reasonable shot at playing this Saturday. It's great to have Steve's inside info, but I still miss the official injury reports that came out every Thursday in past years.

It is neat that if these five starters cannot start on Saturday, we will be starting 4 sophomores on offense, and 5 sophomores and 2 freshmen on defense. I'd rather have the injured upperclassmen playing, but these underclassmen have played key roles in our surprising 4-0 start, and most of them will still be playing major roles for 2 or 3 more years (unless they are good enough to turn pro early). I have never felt so confident about the long run future of the program! (Of course, I was feeling pretty giddy after Duke's 4-0 start last year, too!)

By the way, Dylan Singleton has played 38 more snaps than anyone else on the team, and is tied with Ben Humphreys for the team lead in tackles at 31. It's not surprising, as they were the two highest rated players on our defense coming out of high school, according to 247 Sports.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2018, 08:46 PM
Baylor as a "powerhouse" was a blip on the radar. They were at mediocre in the SWC, got pulled into the Big 8-->12 by politics, and floundered for years. They didn't have a winning record in the Big12 until Briles came in ('95-'10), and it took him a few years. And we now know some of the stuff going on there while Briles was in charge.

Back in the '70s and '80s, my brother (A Horned Frog) and I argued about whose school had the worse football program. It was usually TCU. They had a blip of good fortune under Jim Wacker, but then he turned the program in because boosters didn't stop paying players as they had promised him they would. (TCU then got penalized more than other SWC at the time who didn't confess, which didn't go over well with Wacker, and ultimately led him to move to Minnesota.) Their recent resurgence is due to Gary Patterson. Don't know if they'll sustain their good play after he leaves. (Not that I'd expect he'd leave for any other job.)

You missed a whopper section of Baylor history...the 21 years under Grant Teaff. He had about 7 or 8 outstanding teams in that span, went to numerous Cotton Bowls, and had some other respectable teams as well. It was a pretty good run for Baylor...

DU82
09-27-2018, 09:15 PM
You missed a whopper section of Baylor history...the 21 years under Grant Teaff. He had about 7 or 8 outstanding teams in that span, went to numerous Cotton Bowls, and had some other respectable teams as well. It was a pretty good run for Baylor...

12 winning seasons, 9 losing seasons. Two Cotton Bowl losses. Decent, but Not what I’d call an outstanding record.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2018, 09:52 PM
12 winning seasons, 9 losing seasons. Two Cotton Bowl losses. Decent, but Not what I’d call an outstanding record.

You wanna take a look at what he inherited? He brought Baylor to a new level. Briles constantly praised Teaff putting Baylor on the map.

AustinDevil
09-28-2018, 07:24 AM
^ good article, Steve...prying the tiniest bit of injury info out of our coach is not a simple task...

Agreed on the article and the prying—but it’s got to be a bit easier to get the info when (a) it’s an already documented injury and (b) the info is that the player “might” be back.

AustinDevil
09-28-2018, 07:32 AM
You wanna take a look at what he inherited? He brought Baylor to a new level. Briles constantly praised Teaff putting Baylor on the map.

Teaff has a statue in Waco for exactly that reason. God he was a sanctimonious prick, though, and it’s fair to say he brought them from horrid to quite respectable. Doing that a few years after UT and Arkansas looked set to dominate the SWC for eternity was impressive, but they were a so-so “power” at best.

I do agree though that Baylor was a major power at the time Duke’s series with them was scheduled. I know exactly how bad they were for how long, but he had established that team at the top, for nearly a decade, and was ready to stay there indefinitely. Except for all the raping, and lying about the raping.

PS I hate Baylor

PPS I hate Patterson too, but he’s a great coach. People do forget that it was Franchione who first got them rolling. I suppose he must regret leaving.

BandAlum83
09-28-2018, 08:59 AM

Trying to read an article at the N&O is a very painful process from my phone. Banner ads, pop ups, click bait. Frustrating!!

MartyClark
09-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Teaff has a statue in Waco for exactly that reason. God he was a sanctimonious prick, though, and it’s fair to say he brought them from horrid to quite respectable. Doing that a few years after UT and Arkansas looked set to dominate the SWC for eternity was impressive, but they were a so-so “power” at best.

I do agree though that Baylor was a major power at the time Duke’s series with them was scheduled. I know exactly how bad they were for how long, but he had established that team at the top, for nearly a decade, and was ready to stay there indefinitely. Except for all the raping, and lying about the raping.

PS I hate Baylor

PPS I hate Patterson too, but he’s a great coach. People do forget that it was Franchione who first got them rolling. I suppose he must regret leaving.

I knew one of Grant Teaff's daughters and her husband 25+ years ago. I met Teaff once and thought he was great. Have I missed something on him? He seemed to be a well respected coach.

nocilla
09-28-2018, 01:37 PM
This could be a rare season in which Duke's defense rivals Hokies' (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-duke-defense-hokies-0928-story.html#nt=oft01a-1li2)

Interesting viewpoint. I think the defense will be up to the challenge tomorrow.

Acymetric
09-28-2018, 01:44 PM
This could be a rare season in which Duke's defense rivals Hokies' (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-duke-defense-hokies-0928-story.html#nt=oft01a-1li2)

Interesting viewpoint. I think the defense will be up to the challenge tomorrow.

The proof will be in the pudding tomorrow, but available evidence suggests that our defense more than "rivals" the VT defense (this year only).

HereBeforeCoachK
09-28-2018, 01:47 PM

The one hour podcast that is below the article is kind of interesting...listened to a couple of minutes....both of those guys really think Duke is for real.

OldPhiKap
09-28-2018, 02:05 PM

“with only seven seniors expected to start Saturday, five on offense and two on defense, Duke’s upward mobility may not be complete.”

:-)

Acymetric
09-28-2018, 02:12 PM
“with only seven seniors expected to start Saturday, five on offense and two on defense, Duke’s upward mobility may not be complete.”

:-)

Yeah, a combination of injuries and young upstarts has caused us to be really young on defense. This bodes well for the future of our defense, and it is also nice that the new faces are really contributing.

AustinDevil
09-28-2018, 03:07 PM
I knew one of Grant Teaff's daughters and her husband 25+ years ago. I met Teaff once and thought he was great. Have I missed something on him? He seemed to be a well respected coach.

I'm sure he's perfectly nice in person and to and around his family. But I think it's the fact that his national reputation is indeed in line with what you say that bugs those of us who saw him up-close. From his sanctimony over other SWC schools cheating when Baylor was doing the same to his team running a fake punt during their 49-3 win over a bunch of SMU freshmen in the first SMU post-Death Penalty season to him coming back around to help Baylor in the last couple of years after all the raping, the lying, and the spying on the rape victims--and his comments in that last one full of heartache for how much Baylor and its athletics programs were hurting, but not a single mention of the actual victims--yeah, he's a sanctimonious prick.

DieHard
09-28-2018, 04:55 PM
I will be there with beautiful Mrs. Diehard, along with my son and his fiancee. Found out my brother and his family of 5 are on the way as well. One of my sisters and her husband will be in the house too. Maybe this should be in the how do we fill the stadium thread (invite my extended family), but I am excited to get there. GO DUKE!

OldPhiKap
09-28-2018, 05:05 PM
I will be there with beautiful Mrs. Diehard, along with my son and his fiancee. Found out my brother and his family of 5 are on the way as well. One of my sisters and her husband will be in the house too. Maybe this should be in the how do we fill the stadium thread (invite my extended family), but I am excited to get there. GO DUKE!

Represent!!!

Reilly
09-28-2018, 06:11 PM
Game notes: Duke's -- http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5476930.pdf

VT's -- https://hokiesports.com/documents/2018/9/26/GAME_4_VT_DUKE_9_24_18_.pdf

ACC release -- https://hokiesports.com/documents/2018/9/26/2018_ACC_Football_Release_Week_5.pdf

rocketeli
09-28-2018, 06:37 PM
darn you ODU. It would have been great to have VPI roll in to WW all fat and happy and ready for a beatdown. Now the beatdown has already occurred and Duke will be seeing a very angry, very focused tech team. I'm guessing it will be VT 34 Duke 10.
(Yes, full disclosure, reverse jinx post to try and tempt the gods to punish me for my presumptuous prediction, but still I worry...)

peloton
09-28-2018, 07:11 PM

Great! We need more Duke than VT fannies in Wallace Wade. I was able to talk one of my sons into going so between all of your crew and us, that's a good start. ;) Maybe even a few of the DBR regulars will show up, you never know. I suggest we get a head start on Thanksgiving this year and smoke some turkey tomorrow night! Let's go Blue Devils!!

Bob Green
09-28-2018, 07:37 PM
;) Maybe even a few of the DBR regulars will show up, you never know.

The Section 19 Bleacher Bums will be there! :cool:

peloton
09-28-2018, 07:52 PM
The Section 19 Bleacher Bums will be there! :cool:

I hope to actually make it to a game a good bit earlier than usual tomorrow. It would be great to meet you and any other DBR regulars at the True Blue Que Crew tailgate.

Bob Green
09-28-2018, 08:11 PM
It would be great to meet you and any other DBR regulars at the True Blue Que Crew tailgate.

Come on by, we will be there.

du_bb1
09-28-2018, 08:45 PM
will try to get by also

Papa John
09-28-2018, 09:26 PM
I'm guessing it will be VT 34 Duke 10.
(Yes, full disclosure, reverse jinx post to try and tempt the gods to punish me for my presumptuous prediction, but still I worry...)

Meh... I fear not. We’re legit. 27-17, Duke. Book it!

Reilly
09-29-2018, 12:01 AM
Fight, fight Blue Devils ....

Reilly
09-29-2018, 07:10 AM
I always do a Google search this time of year to see if Aaron Rouse is incarcerated somewhere.

Turns out he's running for city council: https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/virginia-tech/football/article_0b2efd1a-36a2-11e8-81c5-a3d250b01c4e.html

arnie
09-29-2018, 07:22 AM
I always do a Google search this time of year to see if Aaron Rouse is incarcerated somewhere.

Turns out he's running for city council: https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/virginia-tech/football/article_0b2efd1a-36a2-11e8-81c5-a3d250b01c4e.html

I never blamed the player that much. Beamer trained him to viciously hit QBs late and ACC refs told him afterwards it was OK against Duke.

Bob Green
09-29-2018, 07:57 AM
Can Duke run the football?

I've stated multiple times Duke plays its best when balanced on offense. VT rushing defense is holding opponents to 88 yards per game. If Duke cannot establish the run game, Quentin Harris will feel the pressure to have to win with his arm.

The VT rushing defense stat is misleading. One, ODU passed the ball so effectively they didn't need to run. Two, William & Mary was completely over matched. Three, FSU offensive line sucks.

Duke has a lot of talent at running back and Quentin Harris is able to take off and run as well. I believe we will be able to run the ball but it is something to keep an eye on as an early indicator of how the game will play out.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 08:07 AM

I've stated multiple times Duke plays its best when balanced on offense. VT rushing defense is holding opponents to 88 yards per game. If Duke cannot establish the run game, Quentin Harris will feel the pressure to have to win with his arm.

The VT rushing defense stat is misleading. One, ODU passed the ball so effectively they didn't need to run. Two, William & Mary was completely over matched. Three, FSU offensive line sucks.

Duke has a lot of talent at running back and Quentin Harris is able to take off and run as well. I believe we will be able to run the ball but it is something to keep an eye on as an early indicator of how the game will play out.

Run the ball - and throw it deep. I think those are the strengths of a QH directed offense.

NYBri
09-29-2018, 08:08 AM

Are we certain Jones isn’t going to play?

Bob Green
09-29-2018, 08:22 AM

No. I've not seen a definitive statement one way or the other.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2018, 09:21 AM

He has not been ruled out yet.

DU82
09-29-2018, 09:26 AM
He has not been ruled out yet.

I think this might be Cut playing mind games with VT. Aside from recovering from an embarrassing loss, they’re going to have to spend time preparing for Jones playing, and not just Harris. My feeling, without and inside info, is that Jones dresses but doesn’t play.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2018, 09:27 AM
I think this might be Cut playing mind games with VT. Aside from recovering from an embarrassing loss, they’re going to have to spend time preparing for Jones playing, and not just Harris. My feeling, without and inside info, is that Jones dresses but doesn’t play.

I agree with this wholly.

sagegrouse
09-29-2018, 09:44 AM

No. I've not seen a definitive statement one way or the other.

As Cut and we all have learned, you don't go into the Virginia Tech game where the Hoki coaching staff thinks you have only one capable quarterback. This is the lesson we learned with Thad Lewis. The Hokis went after the QB, incurring numerous roughing calls, until he got a concussion and couldn't continue. We had no capable backup and lost.

OldPhiKap
09-29-2018, 09:51 AM
As Cut and we all have learned, you don't go into the Virginia Tech game where the Hoki coaching staff thinks you have only one capable quarterback. This is the lesson we learned with Thad Lewis. The Hokis went after the QB, incurring numerous roughing calls, until he got a concussion and couldn't continue. We had no capable backup and lost.

I’ll also note that, IIRC, VT had FOUR personal foul calls against them last week. Seven penalties for 95 yards total.

Not as dirty as the Heels, and not chop blockers like the Bees. But they play rough.

Avvocato
09-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Apologies in advance for raising a taboo memory, but putting aside the nightmare ending, remember in 2015, Miami came to WW after a 58-0 loss to Clemson. Their coach was fired and they lost their quarterback. With an interim coach and back-up QB, they took on a 6-1 Duke team that I think was ranked at the time, on a Saturday night on ESPN, and outplayed us for about 55 minutes. Not to bring up bad memories with the reference, but I expect the ODU loss to have a similar impact on Va Tech. I also think the ODU loss has made a lot of fans very confident in how easy this game may be. I hope it plays out that way, but I expect Va Tech’s best. Justin Fuente is an excellent offensive coach and expect them to score, even with a back-up quarterback. I often think Bud Foster defenses are overrated, but you don’t get that reputation for no reason. I think Va Tech will come in angry, motivated, and looking to save their season. I think they are going to try and pressure Harris and force him into mistakes. This will be a defense Harris hasn’t seen before. We need to be ready, play our game, avoid turnovers, and just be ready to go to war. As Bob always says, play balanced offensively. I’m expecting a good Va Tech team coming in tonight and can’t wait. Let’s get an early lead and take their heart. If we get an early lead, maybe we can get them to doubt themselves. A win here puts us in a very good place in the Coastal. But one game at a time. 24-20 Duke.

As for Daniel Jones, great reports about his health. I trust our medical staff, but especially since we are 4-0, no way I play him. I ride Harris through tonight and give Jones the extra two weeks before Ga Tech. What would be devestating is DJ coming back too early, Va Tech puts lots of pressure on him, and he breaks it again. I think that happened to Tony Romo towards the end of his career.

Can’t wait for tonight. Let’s go Duke.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 10:51 AM
Apologies in advance for raising a taboo memory, but putting aside the nightmare ending, remember in 2015, Miami came to WW after a 58-0 loss to Clemson. Their coach was fired and they lost their quarterback. With an interim coach and back-up QB, they took on a 6-1 Duke team that I think was ranked at the time, on a Saturday night on ESPN, and outplayed us for about 55 minutes. Not to bring up bad memories with the reference, but I expect the ODU loss to have a similar impact on Va Tech. I also think the ODU loss has made a lot of fans very confident in how easy this game may be. I hope it plays out that way, but I expect Va Tech’s best. Justin Fuente is an excellent offensive coach and expect them to score, even with a back-up quarterback. I often think Bud Foster defenses are overrated, but you don’t get that reputation for no reason. I think Va Tech will come in angry, motivated, and looking to save their season. I think they are going to try and pressure Harris and force him into mistakes. This will be a defense Harris hasn’t seen before. We need to be ready, play our game, avoid turnovers, and just be ready to go to war. As Bob always says, play balanced offensively. I’m expecting a good Va Tech team coming in tonight and can’t wait. Let’s get an early lead and take their heart. If we get an early lead, maybe we can get them to doubt themselves. A win here puts us in a very good place in the Coastal. But one game at a time. 24-20 Duke.

As for Daniel Jones, great reports about his health. I trust our medical staff, but especially since we are 4-0, no way I play him. I ride Harris through tonight and give Jones the extra two weeks before Ga Tech. What would be devestating is DJ coming back too early, Va Tech puts lots of pressure on him, and he breaks it again. I think that happened to Tony Romo towards the end of his career.

Can’t wait for tonight. Let’s go Duke.

This ^^^ - I concur with everything, including the fact that VT losing to ODU is doing us no favors. I feared the same kind of situation before that Miami game in fact. Sure, we were ripped off, but frankly, they did outplay us, and Sirk's last TD was questionable anyway IMO. That Miami teams was nothing like the week before. This VT team won't be either. I like this Duke team, their depth, their character, their speed....but I'd rather play an unbeaten VT team who is ranked higher and slightly favored and without the emotional edge they may have tonight.

And I agree with you about Jones - though I won't be shocked if he plays.

And BTW, Sage, DU82, some excellent points above.

MattC09
09-29-2018, 11:07 AM
It's official: Daniel Jones to start tonight against Virginia Tech.

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/status/1046052227553476608

Ballboy1998
09-29-2018, 11:10 AM

Hope our left tackle is ready to play. Untouched blindside hits got Jones hurt the first time. And we all know from experience that VT will 100% try to injure Jones with hits both legal and less so.

arnie
09-29-2018, 11:10 AM

Good news. Thought that might happen when they announced he was practicing last week. It is his non-throwing shoulder and I’m sure family was consulted on the decision.

chrishoke
09-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Fan-damn-tastic!

devildeac
09-29-2018, 11:29 AM

Given their history of umm, dirty play, I (almost) hope not.

devildeac
09-29-2018, 11:44 AM
It's official:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22672

Credit to fuse for sending to me.

Avvocato
09-29-2018, 11:50 AM

Wow. Very surprised. As mentioned before, I would be more cautious, especially with a quarterback who likes to run tough and take hits while doing so. But I trust our medical and coaching staffs.

fuse
09-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Count me in the pregame jitters / mixed feelings on Jones return.

I guess this highlights the high stakes of this game’s outcome.

I’m not concerned about Jones directly, my concern stems from the dirty play on VT defense mentioned up thread.

Let’s go Duke!!!!

peloton
09-29-2018, 11:54 AM

Wow...if true, I'm surprised. I could see him trotting out onto the field at some point to a standing ovation by the Duke faithful, but I truly thought QH would start. Whomever starts though we're in good hands either way. Let's face it though - having your #1 QB back playing again is pretty awesome.

As others have stated we're going to get the Hokies' best shot - let's respond in kind.

martydoesntfoul
09-29-2018, 11:58 AM
Wow...if true, I'm surprised. I could see him trotting out onto the field at some point to a standing ovation by the Duke faithful, but I truly thought QH would start. Whomever starts though we're in good hands either way. Let's face it though - having your #1 QB back playing again is pretty awesome.

As others have stated we're going to get the Hokies' best shot - let's respond in kind.I’d prefer to give them our best shot, and to see if they can respond in kind.

Playing DJ sends an unbelievable message to the team. Fingers crossed it works and he stays healthy...

devildeac
09-29-2018, 12:03 PM
I hope DJ is outfitted like this:

(Kidding. Mostly.)

OldPhiKap
09-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Jay Bilas on Duke football:

https://twitter.com/espn_recedavis/status/1046008590954377217?s=21

peloton
09-29-2018, 12:12 PM
It just occurred to me that here I am, a somewhat past middle aged man (okay, that's stretching the truth :)) giddy as a high school girl who was just asked to go to the prom. I hope that the team and coaches are a lot more in control of their emotions than I am right now.

Let's do this.

Faison1
09-29-2018, 01:14 PM
Count me in the pregame jitters / mixed feelings on Jones return.

I guess this highlights the high stakes of this game’s outcome.

I’m not concerned about Jones directly, my concern stems from the dirty play on VT defense mentioned up thread.

Let’s go Duke!!!!

I'm guessing/hoping the staff has a plan....like, let's see if we can get a lead, then put QH in and hold it for the rest of the game. Risking DJ shows the stakes at hand. Coastal Division, Baby!!! Let's take it!!

uh_no
09-29-2018, 01:29 PM
Jay Bilas on Duke football:

https://twitter.com/espn_recedavis/status/1046008590954377217?s=21

mildly surprised the tweet wasn't something akin to "There is no way Dan Jones is healed up, and the NCAA ought to be protecting the players so schools don't have perverse incentives to bring kids back to soon"

ehdg
09-29-2018, 01:42 PM
I’m very excited about this. I thought QH was doing a nice job filling in but having Daniel back improves our chances I believe. Just hoping we protect him well so he doesn’t get hurt more! Wonder though if this cuts down on his running with the ball?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 01:47 PM
I’m very excited about this. I thought QH was doing a nice job filling in but having Daniel back improves our chances I believe. Just hoping we protect him well so he doesn’t get hurt more! Wonder though if this cuts down on his running with the ball?

...we saw how well those six games worked out last year when the staff limited Jones' running.......

killerleft
09-29-2018, 01:54 PM
I'm going to side with the medical decision and Coach Cut's obvious concern for his players' welfare overall.

Meaning: Welcome back Daniel Jones, and Go Duke!

Oh, yeah... there is still plenty of time for lots of undecided Duke fans to get out to Wallace Wade Stadium and see this important game in person!!

Avvocato
09-29-2018, 04:30 PM
...we saw how well those six games worked out last year when the staff limited Jones' running....

Understood but I think this injury is different. I thing the rib injury probably impacted his throwing as well. I think the risk here is more re-injury and some safety when running. But I don’t think his throwing should be impacted like last season.

Acymetric
09-29-2018, 04:57 PM
There are a TON of VT fans here today.

WakeDevil
09-29-2018, 05:00 PM
The line is 6.5. It moved up as the week progressed.

BandAlum83
09-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Northwestern is up 10-0 over Michigan late in 1st quarter.

Michigan has zero total yds to NU 93.

Go NU!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 05:39 PM
Northwestern is up 10-0 over Michigan late in 1st quarter.

Michigan has zero total yds to NU 93.

Go NU!

17-0

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Understood but I think this injury is different. I thing the rib injury probably impacted his throwing as well. I think the risk here is more re-injury and some safety when running. But I don’t think his throwing should be impacted like last season.

I agree with you about the throwing - vis a vis injury impact - but if the other team's D can stop worrying about his run, that's inherently going to make the passing game a bit tougher. It's doable, because ODU had no running game really either.....but I expect a fresher and more motivated VT team tonight.

wilson
09-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Wow, I haven’t been this keyed up for a Duke football game since the magical 2013 season (and that’s NOT to say that I haven’t been invested in the ensuing seasons). I think that tonight could be an inflection point for another really special year.
Let’s go Duke!

BandAlum83
09-29-2018, 06:54 PM
So with FSU going long, where will we be be able to see the Duke game?

Acymetric
09-29-2018, 07:03 PM
Perfect football weather tonight!

Acymetric
09-29-2018, 07:05 PM
So with FSU going long, where will we be be able to see the Duke game?

WatchESPN/ESPN3 for sure, probably some alternate channel too (ESPN News or something). Usually says at the bottom of the screen.

ehdg
09-29-2018, 07:36 PM
Daniel Jones looks good so far. He’s making good reads n thrown some really nice passes n has run the ball well too so far. Keep it up! Let’s go Duke!

dukelifer
09-29-2018, 07:58 PM
Duke’s D is struggling against the pass right now.

arnie
09-29-2018, 08:02 PM
Duke’s D is struggling against the pass right now.

Now that’s the understatement of the year.

ehdg
09-29-2018, 08:06 PM
Va Tech is playing inspired angry football. Exactly what I was worried about cause of last weekend!

AGDukesky
09-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Vintage Duke so far

75Crazie
09-29-2018, 08:09 PM
Va Tech is playing inspired angry football. Exactly what I was worried about cause of last weekend!
Yes, but Cutcliffe was right in the snippet of his pre-game talk that was shown prior to the game … Duke should be at the point that it doesn't need a decent team to be down in order to compete. So far VT is just plain the better team. Can Duke step it up and turn this around?

Acymetric
09-29-2018, 08:35 PM
Gotta figure something out with the o-line. DJ with some great throws and some scary ones. Receivers inconsistent. DBs getting burned bad. Front 7 (well, front 6) with some big plays.

JD for Three!
09-29-2018, 08:49 PM
At risk of being thrashed, I would like to see some Harris in the 2nd half.
My hat is off to Jones for his effort to come back ASAP. I think he’s a fine young man and has done a lot for the program. I find him frustrating at times because our offense seems a bit methodical and predictable when he plays. I think Harris brings a different feel/athleticism to the offense.
I feel like we can beat this team. Need to give ourselves a chance.

Sorry - just an opinion. (having the WRs hang on to a couple of deep throws would help as well)

ehdg
09-29-2018, 09:04 PM
I’m not seeing any heart from our team. Our offensive line isn’t getting any push up front n making holes for our RB’s. Our DB’s are getting beaten bad n our Dline isn’t getting much pressure on their QB.

RaiderDevil
09-29-2018, 09:08 PM
Team looks bad, crowd is worse. More orange than blue.

Sixthman
09-29-2018, 09:09 PM
I’m not seeing any heart from our team. Our offensive line isn’t getting any push up front n making holes for our RB’s.

I say we were a no show if we weren’t showing up so strikingly unprepared. Two special teams plays I’ve seen where we only had ten guys on the field.

Devilwin
09-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Uninspired game. Flat on offense, and the secondary cannot cover anybody.

75Crazie
09-29-2018, 09:11 PM
I think it is easy to blame being outplayed on not playing with heart. I don't think I agree in this case … I just think VT is the better team. For sure, they are playing with emotion today, but I don't think Duke is devoid of emotion tonight.

SCMatt33
09-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Uninspired game. Flat on offense, and the secondary cannot cover anybody.

I really don't know why Fuente is screwing around with all the weird short stuff. We haven't covered them deep at all and gotten no pressure on the QB, even when we've blitzed. Could honestly be worse if he let his team uncork it every possession

OldPhiKap
09-29-2018, 09:13 PM
I think it is easy to blame being outplayed on not playing with heart. I don't think I agree in this case … I just think VT is the better team. For sure, they are playing with emotion today, but I don't think Duke is devoid of emotion tonight.
Agree with this

Devilwin
09-29-2018, 09:21 PM
Agree with this

I dunno if they are or not. We certainly haven't played with the fire we've shown in previous games.

WakeDevil
09-29-2018, 09:25 PM
Apparently, Duke defensive backs are not allowed to be more than a certain height.

Dukehky
09-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Embarrassing. Losing to VT's not a big deal, especially with the entire secondary hurt, but anytime they want to throw, they have someone wide open.

Jones not being able to run is really hurting us, I feel. All the zone reads and RPO's, they don't have to respect DJ running at all. Chris Taylor and Scott Brady dropping TD passes certainly didn't help us either. DOn't know why Aaron Young has been out so long.

Sixthman
09-29-2018, 09:34 PM
feels like Miami home loss. Miserable to be at the game.

YmoBeThere
09-29-2018, 09:40 PM
That set of downs it finally felt like we had ghe right scheme/plays being called...

YmoBeThere
09-29-2018, 09:42 PM
Jones not being able to run is really hurting us, I feel.

He had a couple 10+ yard runs early. Not sure why we haven't gone back to that.

RaiderDevil
09-29-2018, 09:43 PM
Blackwell is getting destroyed tonight.

ehdg
09-29-2018, 09:44 PM
Damnit our secondary just getting burned time n time again. That’s now 5 plays for over 20 yards! We needed a stop n just needed one n didn’t get it after we finally scored!

Devilwin
09-29-2018, 09:47 PM
Very disappointing. ODU set the script for Tech, and we played right into their hands...

75Crazie
09-29-2018, 09:53 PM
I am just amazed at the number of people who can read heart and desire in others. I refuse to buy into that. I see a Duke team that showed up, attempted to compete, and got out-played. For crying out loud, Jones played less than 3 weeks after shoulder surgery. I am not about to question his desire … or that of anybody else on the team. To do otherwise, I feel, is insulting.

fuse
09-29-2018, 09:53 PM
Happy Jones is back. Need to rediscover our running game and 3rd down defense.

arnie
09-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Damnit our secondary just getting burned time n time again. That’s now 5 plays for over 20 yards! We needed a stop n just needed one n didn’t get it after we finally scored!

Yea, I guess we were thin in the secondary before injuries to Gilbert, Carter. McDuffie’s been picked on all night; doubt he’s really ever recovered from injury last season. We don’t have secondary depth I thought we had.

luvdahops
09-29-2018, 09:54 PM

Just horrendous ball recognition by our DBs all night. They are playing scared now.

SCMatt33
09-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Very disappointing. ODU set the script for Tech, and we played right into their hands...

I don't think there's anything different Duke was going to do in this game. We just can't cover them . We've been in perfect position many many times and they still catch it. They're tackling our guys on first contact and breaking tackles themselves. This game is jimmys and joes, not X's and O's. If you want to say them playing an F- game and that gave VT a kick I. The teeth to bring their A game, I'll buy that. But there's no "script" here that we played into as if we could have done something different and won

WakeDevil
09-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Apparently, Duke defensive backs are not allowed to be more than a certain height.

Has anyone contacted you about a TV job?

Sixthman
09-29-2018, 10:02 PM
I don't think there's anything different Duke was going to do in this game. We just can't cover them . We've been in perfect position many many times and they still catch it. They're tackling our guys on first contact and breaking tackles themselves. This game is jimmys and joes, not X's and O's. If you want to say them playing an F- game and that gave VT a kick I. The teeth to bring their A game, I'll buy that. But there's no "script" here that we played into as if we could have done something different and won

We played behind their receivers the whole game. I bet we have not made five attempted plays on the ball the whole game. The defensive effort tonight against the pass reminds me of the precut era: no playmakers on our side.

RaiderDevil
09-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Watching the two teams from the game, there is no doubt Tech came out with a lot more passion. Way more enthusiasm from the start

Devilwin
09-29-2018, 10:19 PM
We played behind their receivers the whole game. I bet we have not made five attempted plays on the ball the whole game. The defensive effort tonight against the pass reminds me of the precut era: no playmakers on our side.

Our guys were not even looking back for the ball most of the time. This loss does not ruin the season, nor does it mean we cannot bounce back. But we have got to cover better and the O line has to perform much better than they did tonight. Get ready for the triple option in two weeks.

ehdg
09-29-2018, 10:33 PM
Our O line hasn’t been very good so far this year which is surprising. I thought our O line was supposed to be a strength of ours. Wasn’t that we we expected in the preseason?

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-29-2018, 11:17 PM
A lot of the time VT was only sending three guys after Jones and still we ccouldn't stop 'em.
Terrible play calling too, Mr. Roper. No imagination AT ALL. Sending a 200 pound guy up the middle all night? What's that?
Two of their touchdowns were gifts -- one from us and one from the refs. Bless their hearts.

Only two positives to take away from this one; we learn more from losses and nobody got hurt.
Love, Ima

ChrisP
09-29-2018, 11:23 PM
Watching the two teams from the game, there is no doubt Tech came out with a lot more passion. Way more enthusiasm from the start

I disagree - I was at the game about 10 rows behind the Duke bench and players were fired up (well, when we still had a remote chance) and the crowd was really into it as well. Watching in person, I was struck at how much bigger and stronger VT's players seemed. As much as it pains me to say it, Tech is just better than we are - at least right now. We simply couldn't cover ANYONE in the passing game and could NOT catch a break with regard to the "little things" like Rahming stepping out of bounds in the 3rd when it looked like he could have taken it to the house, the fumble we caused on a punt return deep in their territory that they fell right on top of, etc. I truly don't think Duke was guilty of not having enough heart tonight.

buddy
09-29-2018, 11:34 PM
The O line was overmatched. Daniel was running for his life all game. The D line was not much better. Tackling was bad. Twice Hudzick didn't realize he was on the field for special teams. Unless he was just picking his nose that is coaching. Blackwell got torched three times when he never looked for the ball. It was obvious Jones was not going to run as a first option. I think all his running plays were scrambles. When he runs we get an extra blocker. Our receivers could get behind VT long, but Jones could not hit them and we went away from that (maybe because Jones had no time). Next play.

uh_no
09-29-2018, 11:43 PM
rough watch. it's unfortunate when we have these big night games and fans and students show up and we wet the bed. Miami last year and UNC a few years back similar. I mean I could take losing if it were close, or even in a game where we score some to give the fans something to cheer about....but not scoring for, what, 40 minutes tonight? putting up 6 vs Miami last year?

I don't know what the answer is.

UrinalCake
09-29-2018, 11:43 PM
Rough game. A lot of little mistakes early - interception on a tipped ball, missing a field goal, numerous false start penalties - felt like the kinds of things we had to clean up to have any chance of winning a game like this. Then we were just getting lit up in the secondary, especially on third down. They’d either have a guy wide open in the middle of the field or would throw up a 50/50 ball that was more like a 95/5 the way their receivers burned and manhandled our corners.

The running game gave us nothing (losing Brown for much of the game obviously hurt) but once again everything was just right up the middle, or swing passes that took too long to develop.

From the stands I thought the home crowd was great. Probably 60% Duke fans, but there have been many home games where it was much worse. Great energy from both sides, but Duke just isn’t ready for the big time.

TruBlu
09-30-2018, 12:21 AM
If you’re going to play aggressive defense up front and leave your DB’s playing one-on-one in the secondary on 2nd and long and third and long, you need at least one of these two things:
1) get consistent pressure on the QB
2) have DB’s who can cover one-on-one

Tonight, we did neither very well. Ball game.

In the post game radio interview, Coach Cut said we are going to keep playing aggressively in those situations.

Hopefully, future results will be better. If not, a change in our schemes might be in order.

(Yes, I do realize that Coach Cut knows more than I could ever pretend to know, but right now I’m pretty grumpy after having driven 6 hours with an upset tummy to watch this game.)

Wander
09-30-2018, 12:43 AM
I thought the difference was in our WR play, not in play-calling or "enthusiasm". Maybe you can say any individual pass wasn't super easy to catch, but the collective result of our WRs not making any plays on non-trivial catches definitely cost us. It would have been a totally different 2nd half by adding just one or two catches on a somewhat-to-moderately difficult pass.

Avvocato
09-30-2018, 03:11 AM
According to Steve Wiseman, Marvin a Hubbard is lost for the season.

https://twitter.com/stevewisemannc/status/1046236941199585280?s=21

Devilwin
09-30-2018, 06:19 AM
Five dropped passes didn't help, three inside the ten yard line.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2018, 07:02 AM
rough watch. it's unfortunate when we have these big night games and fans and students show up and we wet the bed. Miami last year and UNC a few years back similar. I mean I could take losing if it were close, or even in a game where we score some to give the fans something to cheer about...but not scoring for, what, 40 minutes tonight? putting up 6 vs Miami last year?

I don't know what the answer is.

I had made this exact point on the chat during the game.....favored over UNC, Miami and now VT...and lay an egg. Total egg.

To add insult to injury, the first two videos that popped up were amazing wide receiver catches....not from Ohio State or Clemson or Alabama...no, from Sam Houston State and ECU.

Devilwin
09-30-2018, 07:17 AM
I did not understand a couple of things. First, on 3rd and 15 around the 25, why run up the middle? Like we gave up on the play. And that confounded flat pass that never works. Lose that thing.
The D line did pretty good on stopping the run, but other than that we made a second team qb look like Tom Brady..
One loss, however, does not a season make. We can reverse this and still have a great year.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2018, 07:29 AM
I did not understand a couple of things. First, on 3rd and 15 around the 25, why run up the middle? Like we gave up on the play. And that confounded flat pass that never works. Lose that thing.
The D line did pretty good on stopping the run, but other than that we made a second team qb look like Tom Brady..
One loss, however, does not a season make. We can reverse this and still have a great year.

One more thing...on the two deep passes to Taylor....he got open, DJ had time....just barely missed those. Then never tried anything like that again.

Devilwin
09-30-2018, 07:54 AM
One more thing...on the two deep passes to Taylor...he got open, DJ had time...just barely missed those. Then never tried anything like that again.

Noticed that. At least we have time for Jones to heal up better, and get back in sync with the offense. But the secondary play must be addressed and quickly, because there are several qbs down the road better than Willis is..

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Noticed that. At least we have time for Jones to heal up better, and get back in sync with the offense. But the secondary play must be addressed and quickly, because there are several qbs down the road better than Willis is..

Hey, dirty little secret? The best three passes thrown by Duke this year.....from QH....to my eye. Versus Baylor. Best 2 QB runs? QH versus NW for key first down and big burst v Baylor, would've scored TD except for Helm tackling him by mistake.

No, not saying QH should start over DJ.....but I've never been on the DJ fan train the way some have, and I don't think the gap is as wide as perceived.
I like him, and he seems like a nice young man and he's a good QB, but I don't see all this NFL stuff. Not when Willis outplays him. Not when when I see Murray and Grier and other QBs across the nation doing amazing things week in and week out, and all we can say is that DJ did okay considering......

Not when there were two early long TD's to be had - if DJ had thrown the deep balls as well as QH did v Baylor. That is simply a fact. Sure, Taylor should have caught at least one of those two bombs....and Bracey wimped out on a 50-50 ball, which according to the pic at DBR looks more like an 80-20 ball, that Bracey couldn't come down with.

I guess I'm just frustrated with our offense all the way around. Frankly, I'm in a crabby mood because we're looking at about 40K in losses from Florence - and perhaps all of it is going to fall between the gaps in the various flood, wind and standard insurances. Sorry for the negative nellies...

UrinalCake
09-30-2018, 08:47 AM
^ Jones made a ton of plays that Harris simply cannot, scrambling to stay alive in the pocket and checking off to open receivers. Harris tends to just throw the ball away when faced with any type of pressure. Agree that Harris throws a great deep ball, but it’s hard to fault Jones for the drops. With no running game to speak of and Jones not able to run himself, VT keeping eight guys back and still getting pressure by rushing three linemen, I thought Jones did pretty great.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2018, 09:33 AM
^ Jones made a ton of plays that Harris simply cannot, scrambling to stay alive in the pocket and checking off to open receivers. Harris tends to just throw the ball away when faced with any type of pressure. Agree that Harris throws a great deep ball, but it’s hard to fault Jones for the drops. With no running game to speak of and Jones not able to run himself, VT keeping eight guys back and still getting pressure by rushing three linemen, I thought Jones did pretty great.

I'm not faulting Jones for those, or necessarily Taylor - just pointing out that you can find many many teams making those plays (either the WR makes the difficult grab, or the QB throws the perfect pass) all over the country every week. Not just the top teams with 5 star recruits either. We saw the VT QB and WR's both make more plays than Duke QB or WR did, and I would not call them a top team, offensively, by any means. I"m talking about plays like the two bombs to Taylor and the one semi-bomb to Bracey - where the O line held up. Had either the QB or WR stepped up just a little bit more, that's three more touchdowns, two of them early.

The O line has to help the skill people, but the skill people have to help the O line too, by making plays when the O line does their job. O linemen are always talking about the motivation of knowing if they do their job, a thankless job, that the RB or the QB or the WR will reward them. We all know from human nature, this is certainly true.

rtnorthrup
09-30-2018, 10:12 AM

That is the exact same draw play that we used to score the first TD against Baylor. It looks great when it works and terrible when it doesn't.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2018, 10:24 AM
I'm not faulting Jones for those, or necessarily Taylor - just pointing out that you can find many many teams making those plays (either the WR makes the difficult grab, or the QB throws the perfect pass) all over the country every week. Not just the top teams with 5 star recruits either. We saw the VT QB and WR's both make more plays than Duke QB or WR did, and I would not call them a top team, offensively, by any means. I"m talking about plays like the two bombs to Taylor and the one semi-bomb to Bracey - where the O line held up. Had either the QB or WR stepped up just a little bit more, that's three more touchdowns, two of them early.

The O line has to help the skill people, but the skill people have to help the O line too, by making plays when the O line does their job. O linemen are always talking about the motivation of knowing if they do their job, a thankless job, that the RB or the QB or the WR will reward them. We all know from human nature, this is certainly true.

Jones was 23-35 and 226 yards. He was on the run most of the game, and VT was only rushing three or four players which means a ton of DBs covering receivers. While Jones was not perfect, he was more than respectable against a tough defense.

Our O line could not stop the defenders or open lanes for running. Our DBs gave up way too many third and long conversions. Those two things are the largest bulk of why we got beat.

Hats off to the Hokies, they made big plays and we did not.

sagegrouse
09-30-2018, 10:34 AM
Coach Fuente said it best. We were able to put pressure on the passer with only three rushers. In other words, the Hokis kicked our butt on the line of scrimmage. We couldn't run, and they had eight players back to defend the pass.

What would have made a difference? Connect on one or two of those long passes in the first half to get another touchdown?

OldPhiKap
09-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Coach Fuente said it best. We were able to put pressure on the passer with only three rushers. In other words, the Hokis kicked our butt on the line of scrimmage. We couldn't run, and they had eight players back to defend the pass.

What would have made a difference? Connect on one or two of those long passes in the first half to get another touchdown?

I’ll add to this post that, IIRC, we scored a touchdown on the drive where the second long ball went off the fingers anyway. So that drop did not cost us.

75Crazie
09-30-2018, 10:49 AM
One more thing getting under my skin after this game: the number of times I have seen the word "drop" in this thread. An all-out dive by a wide receiver running at full speed that glances off the fingertips is NOT a "drop" … it is a barely-missed connection. I thought Taylor made an inspired attempt on at least one, maybe even both, of those close misses.

rtnorthrup
09-30-2018, 10:57 AM
One more thing getting under my skin after this game: the number of times I have seen the word "drop" in this thread. An all-out dive by a wide receiver running at full speed that glances off the fingertips is NOT a "drop" … it is a barely-missed connection. I thought Taylor made an inspired attempt on at least one, maybe even both, of those close misses.

Agree, but Bracey dropped a clear TD in the second quarter.

YmoBeThere
09-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Seems to me like we went away from this after the 1st quarter. Perhaps VT adjusted? And the lack of a kicking game meant touchdowns were the only viable way to score?

1st & 10 at DUKE 41(5:11 - 1st) Daniel Jones run for 10 yds to the VTech 49 for a 1ST down

2nd & 9 at VT 33(3:59 - 1st) Daniel Jones run for 10 yds to the VTech 23 for a 1ST down

sagegrouse
09-30-2018, 11:08 AM
I’ll add to this post that, IIRC, we scored a touchdown on the drive where the second long ball went off the fingers anyway. So that drop did not cost us.

An immediate touchdown on a long pass could change the game flow and give us more time to score another touchdown. And, I didn't say it was a drop -- it would have been a really tough catch, and the pass was amazing, bix six inches shorter and it's a much easier catch.

killerleft
09-30-2018, 11:24 AM
I am just amazed at the number of people who can read heart and desire in others. I refuse to buy into that. I see a Duke team that showed up, attempted to compete, and got out-played. For crying out loud, Jones played less than 3 weeks after shoulder surgery. I am not about to question his desire … or that of anybody else on the team. To do otherwise, I feel, is insulting.

With you all the way. They simply outplayed us. Still hurts, but I don't question our effort or will to win.

Bob Green
09-30-2018, 12:48 PM
I've not a lot to add to the discussion at this point...

1. We couldn't run the ball. VT made us one dimensional.
2. Defense gave up too many big plays on 3rd down. You have to get off the field in those situations.

The worst thing from last night was Marvin Hubbard rupturing his Achilles' tendon and being lost for the year.

Acymetric
09-30-2018, 12:49 PM
I've not a lot to add to the discussion at this point...

1. We couldn't run the ball. VT made us one dimensional.
2. Defense gave up too many big plays on 3rd down. You have to get off the field in those situations.

The worst thing from last night was Marvin Hubbard rupturing his Achilles' tendon and being lost for the year.

That is a huge bummer...lost for the year is an understatement. Hardly anyone recovers from a ruptured achilles and returns to their previous level of play (which is not to say he can't return and be effective). And it happened in garbage time.

Devilwin
09-30-2018, 01:22 PM
That is a huge bummer...lost for the year is an understatement. Hardly anyone recovers from a ruptured achilles and returns to their previous level of play (which is not to say he can't return and be effective). And it happened in garbage time.

Granted. He had enormous upside.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2018, 02:39 PM
Jones was 23-35 and 226 yards. He was on the run most of the game, and VT was only rushing three or four players which means a ton of DBs covering receivers. While Jones was not perfect, he was more than respectable against a tough defense.

Our O line could not stop the defenders or open lanes for running. Our DBs gave up way too many third and long conversions. Those two things are the largest bulk of why we got beat.

Hats off to the Hokies, they made big plays and we did not.

I fully understand all of that, but the fact remains, our skill guys did not make the plays (QB or WR, take your pick) when the O line did their job. Many of these were early, when an entirely different game might have emerged. Period.

ALSO: Bobo had a 31 yard reception in the boxscore. That was after I stopped watching. Someone describe that play.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2018, 03:26 PM
I fully understand all of that, but the fact remains, our skill guys did not make the plays (QB or WR, take your pick) when the O line did their job. Many of these were early, when an entirely different game might have emerged. Period.

ALSO: Bobo had a 31 yard reception in the boxscore. That was after I stopped watching. Someone describe that play.

The problem though is that the few times when the O line did their job against VT’s three-man rush, at best we had five skill players downfield (or wide) against eight LBs/DBs.

I’m not giving Jones or the receivers a pass — but the odds were greatly against them because the O line did not win their battles.

Credit Bud Foster for winning the war.

Bob Green
09-30-2018, 04:24 PM
With the loss to VT, Duke falls to 34 in Sagarin ratings. Duke was 20 after beating Baylor but fell to 23 after beating NCCU:

Clemson - 6
Miami - 14
NCSU - 19
VT - 27
Duke - 34
Syracuse - 42
BC -43
FSU - 49
Virginia - 51
GT - 52
Wake Forest - 65
Louisville - 73
Pitt - 79
Carolina - 90

OldPhiKap
09-30-2018, 04:37 PM
With the loss to VT, Duke falls to 34 in Sagarin ratings. Duke was 20 after beating Baylor but fell to 23 after beating NCCU:

Clemson - 6
Miami - 14
NCSU - 19
VT - 27
Duke - 34
Syracuse - 42
BC -43
FSU - 49
Virginia - 51
GT - 52
Wake Forest - 65
Louisville - 73
Pitt - 79
Carolina - 90

I would think Syracuse would be higher than us, frankly.

With us at five, our remaining games are against (not in order) numbers 1, 2, 9, 10, 11, 13 and 14. Plenty of opportunity still in front of us!

Bob Green
09-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Plenty of opportunity still in front of us!

Absolutely! My motivation for posting the numbers was twofold: one, we are ranked higher than five of seven remaining opponents; two, Carolina sucks. :cool: I get petty after a loss.

Reilly
09-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Agree, but Bracey dropped a clear TD in the second quarter.

What bugged me there is that it seemed like a situation that called for a little "fight" or "want to" and Bracey seemed to lack it. Snatch the darn thing and claim it. Don't wait it for it to come to you. Somebody lock him in a room with some Conner Vernon tapes.

arnie
09-30-2018, 05:40 PM
What bugged me there is that it seemed like a situation that called for a little "fight" or "want to" and Bracey seemed to lack it. Snatch the darn thing and claim it. Don't wait it for it to come to you. Somebody lock him in a room with some Conner Vernon tapes.

I think we saw the reason Bracey doesn’t play more. However, continue to like what I see in Bobo -seems to have great hands. Maybe he starts to get some touches with a game on the line?

Reilly
09-30-2018, 05:44 PM
With the loss to VT, Duke falls to 34 in Sagarin ratings. Duke was 20 after beating Baylor but fell to 23 after beating NCCU ...

Duke is #17 in the SRS at sports-reference.com: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-ratings.html

As Cut said on the radio post-game, we're a good team.

The team has lots of likable playmakers on both sides of the ball. The O line is a concern. The team plays with great effort and intensity. Last night's game was closer than it felt and seemed, in a sense. Lots of little things -- tipped ball INT, no fumble recovery, their WRs make a couple plays and ours don't, penalties and missed FG for us ... We definitely weren't sharp, and they definitely won the line battles (keeping their QB clean even when we brought blitzes), so congratulations to the Hokies. But we're a good team and will make some noise and this'll be a fun season.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2018, 05:50 PM
I think we saw the reason Bracey doesn’t play more. However, continue to like what I see in Bobo -seems to have great hands. Maybe he starts to get some touches with a game on the line?

Bobo scores on that play......no doubt.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2018, 05:53 PM
The problem though is that the few times when the O line did their job against VT’s three-man rush, at best we had five skill players downfield (or wide) against eight LBs/DBs.

I’m not giving Jones or the receivers a pass — but the odds were greatly against them because the O line did not win their battles.

Credit Bud Foster for winning the war.

On those two plays, Jones was clean, Taylor had a step. And it was early...the O line was not getting beat yet....both were a chance to take control of the game. Gotta make em. Or settle for 6-6. There are dozens and dozens of teams who make that play. VT made all of those plays. This is not criticism, this just is what it is. The O line has to give the skill people time and space, and the skill people have to convert when they do.