#8 ND (-7) @ Wake

Pitt (-3) @ Cheats

Louisville @ UVa (-4.5)

N.Ill @ FSU (-10)

FIU @ #21 Miami (-26.5)

#13 VT (-28) @ Old Dominion

#3 Clemson (-16.5) @ GTech

State (-5) @ Marshall

Interesting note: Cheats will then be @ Miami on Thursday so a quick turn-around for the baby blues.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Interesting that the Wake - ND spread is only a touchdown.

Reilly
09-20-2018, 12:52 PM
I was shocked to see UVa -5 over L'ville when I looked yesterday. Thought it a misprint. This column explains it a bit, though I'm still skeptical. http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-uva-louisville-football-0719-story.html

wilson
09-20-2018, 12:57 PM
It’ll be interesting to see what Florida State does against Northern Illinois this weekend. NIU has a pretty stout defense, the ‘Noles are suffering from well-documented offensive woes, and Willie Taggart’s seat in Tallahassee is getting really hot really quickly.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2018, 01:07 PM
It’ll be interesting to see what Florida State does against Northern Illinois this weekend. NIU has a pretty stout defense, the ‘Noles are suffering from well-documented offensive woes, and Willie Taggart’s seat in Tallahassee is getting really hot really quickly.
At 5 million a year, hard to blame the fans.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-20-2018, 01:14 PM

Seems like ND rarely beats anyone badly anymore.......they don't have Clemson or Bama type margins.

sagegrouse
09-20-2018, 01:22 PM
At 5 million a year, hard to blame the fans.

Hard to believe, but here's the story from last December 6:

Florida State officially announced Willie Taggart as its head coach on Wednesday.

Taggart signed a six-year, $30 million deal to become head coach at FSU. He will be under contract until January 31, 2024.

Supposedly in addition, there are bonuses for everything you can think of, including --

Bonus Money
Win National Championship Game $500,000
Make National Championship Game $250,000
Make Semifinal Game $250,000
Make New Year's Six Bowl $175,000
Make Bowl with 7+ wins $100,000
Make Bowl $50,000
Win ACC Title $150,000
Make ACC Championship Game $100,000
ACC Coach of the Year $50,000
Undefeated Season $100,000
National Coach of the Year $75,000
Single year APR over 950 $100,000
Single year APR over 975 $175,000
Single year APR over 990 $200,000
Single year APR of 1000 $250,000
You would think the APR awards would be a slam dunk (chip shot field goal?), except that FSU had an APR of 939 last year, the lowest of any member of a Power 5 conference.

Duke was at 992, trailing only Northwestern and Michigan among Power 5 conference members.

Wander
09-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Notre Dame is – stop me if you've heard this one before – vastly overrated at #8. They should be in the Top 25, but near the bottom of it.

Pitt-UNC and NIU-FSU should determine who the worst team in the ACC is.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Notre Dame is – stop me if you've heard this one before – vastly overrated at #8. They should be in the Top 25, but near the bottom of it.

Pitt-UNC and NIU-FSU should determine who the worst team in the ACC is.

Go Panthers, Go 'Noles!

Wander
09-20-2018, 01:41 PM
A few other games of interest to us...

The right (and favored) outcomes in Mississippi State@Kentucky, Wisconsin@Iowa, and Texas AM@Alabama (MSU, Wisconsin, and Alabama winning) could lead to Duke being ranked heading into our game with VT!

Reilly
09-20-2018, 01:57 PM
A few other games of interest to us...

The right (and favored) outcomes in Mississippi State@Kentucky, Wisconsin@Iowa, and Texas AM@Alabama (MSU, Wisconsin, and Alabama winning) could lead to Duke being ranked heading into our game with VT!

Right now there are 34 undefeated FBS teams, and 7 of the 34 are non-P5: Marshall, LaT, Buffalo, UCF, SoFl, Akron, NTx.

I'd hope that a 4-0 P5 team with 2 road P5 victories can sneak into the top 25.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-ratings.html

luvdahops
09-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Seems like ND rarely beats anyone badly anymore...they don't have Clemson or Bama type margins.

The Irish offense has been very underwhelming so far. The O-line was expected to be strength but has been anything but, and starting QB Brandon Winbush is a very inconsistent passer even when he has time.

arnie
09-22-2018, 02:13 PM
The Irish offense has been very underwhelming so far. The O-line was expected to be strength but has been anything but, and starting QB Brandon Winbush is a very inconsistent passer even when he has time.

Kenan not exactly packed today. Maybe 20,000 with less than 2,000 on the sunny side. Curious how many they “report”.

OldPhiKap
09-22-2018, 02:13 PM
BC is not dealing well with being ranked . . . .

Wander
09-22-2018, 06:34 PM
BC is not dealing well with being ranked . . . .

Better than VT... tied in the 4th quarter with 0-3 1AA team Old Dominion, and (potentially relevant for us next week) just lost their starting QB to injury.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 06:37 PM
The Trevor Lawrence chapter begins officially today for Clemson. And Etienne is scary running the ball.

TKG
09-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Josh Jackson, VT QB, being carted off field.

arnie
09-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Josh Jackson, VT QB, being carted off field.

Just turned on - did the entire VT defense leave the game? They are very bad.

Wander
09-22-2018, 07:17 PM

I think the Old Dominion RB is wearing some sort of force field thing. VT guys have been incapable of tackling him all half.

ehdg
09-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Old Dominion is about to beat Va Tech. They’re up 14 with 1:34 to play! Holy cow!! This could make Va Tech a very angry team next week n they now will come with a chip on their shoulders. They’re gonna be very motivated for us. Damn!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 07:18 PM

...hey I keep hearing that Bud Foster is a DEE guru!!!!

arnie
09-22-2018, 07:20 PM
I think the Old Dominion RB is wearing some sort of force field thing. VT guys have been incapable of tackling him all half.

Liberty crushed ODU. ODU has 600+ yards and 2TDs over VT. I don’t get it��

DukieInKansas
09-22-2018, 07:22 PM
My top 3 for today:
1. Duke wins
2. Saw Nephew Alex on TV/Clemson wins
3. ODU beats the Hokies. Instead if losing by 4 TDs, they win by 2

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 07:23 PM
BAAAAAD day for the ACC

VT goes down to ODU....
BC lays an egg at Purdue....beaten by NW

jbay201
09-22-2018, 07:30 PM
BAAAAAD day for the ACC

VT goes down to ODU...
BC lays an egg at Purdue...beaten by NW

Great day for Duke though! Could care less about the other schools, in fact root against every other ACC school every week!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Great day for Duke though! Could care less about the other schools, in fact root against every other ACC school every week!

It is not good for Duke for the ACC to fall off as a respected conference. It may feel good to see the Hokies lose (it does) - but really, it's not going to help Duke or any ACC team if the conference stumbles. If State loses to Marshall, that would be the cherry on the parfait...

CameronBlue
09-22-2018, 07:34 PM
BAAAAAD day for the ACC

VT goes down to ODU...

Wow, that's hard to put into any sort of perspective. ODU, the 0-3 ODU, the 29 point underdog ODU, the team that lost to freakin' Liberty by a whiplash inducing tally of 52-10. ODU puts up 632 total yards on Virginia Tech...gug, gug, gug...there are just no words...dang.

Reilly
09-22-2018, 07:37 PM
I'd rather lose to VCU in hoops than to ODU in football (says the fan of the team that's lost to Richmond 3x straight).

Faison1
09-22-2018, 08:01 PM
BAAAAAD day for the ACC

VT goes down to ODU...

Horrendous day for the ACC!!! 2016 is a DISTANT memory.

My SEC friends are laughing right now...the nerve of us ACC fans thinking we exist anywhere close to their universe!!!

Wander
09-22-2018, 08:04 PM
It is not good for Duke for the ACC to fall off as a respected conference. It may feel good to see the Hokies lose (it does) - but really, it's not going to help Duke or any ACC team if the conference stumbles. If State loses to Marshall, that would be the cherry on the parfait...

When Duke is regularly competing for playoffs spots, sure, maybe. Until then, I'd rather just win as many games as possible, make a bowl every year, and get ranked as highly as possible. The BC loss was especially good for Duke because it could clear the way for us to be ranked this week, pending a few other results.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 08:12 PM
When Duke is regularly competing for playoffs spots, sure, maybe. Until then, I'd rather just win as many games as possible, make a bowl every year, and get ranked as highly as possible. The BC loss was especially good for Duke because it could clear the way for us to be ranked this week, pending a few other results.

ACC losses by others does not really help Duke's bowl chances.
Getting ranked as high as possible is more often hurt than helped by other ACC teams losing due to strength of schedule, reputation of the conference. The chance for a "big win" against VT is gone. Just a chance for a win now.

DU82
09-22-2018, 08:35 PM
ACC losses by others does not really help Duke's bowl chances.
Getting ranked as high as possible is more often hurt than helped by other ACC teams losing due to strength of schedule, reputation of the conference. The chance for a "big win" against VT is gone. Just a chance for a win now.

The ACC has guaranteed bowl slots. The worse other teams do, the better Duke’s bowl game. The only ranking that matters outside of the top 4 team in the country (playoff) is within the conference. If we assume the conference champion is in the playoffs, the next ACC team is in a New Year’s bowl (likely Peach, since Orange is one of the playoff sites this year IIRC), and then there’s a list below that. Notre Dame is in the mix if they do not make a New Year’s bowl.

jbay201
09-22-2018, 09:12 PM
The ACC has guaranteed bowl slots. The worse other teams do, the better Duke’s bowl game. The only ranking that matters outside of the top 4 team in the country (playoff) is within the conference. If we assume the conference champion is in the playoffs, the next ACC team is in a New Year’s bowl (likely Peach, since Orange is one of the playoff sites this year IIRC), and then there’s a list below that. Notre Dame is in the mix if they do not make a New Year’s bowl.

thank you for making my point...no idea how ppl here can support these other ACC schools

DU82
09-22-2018, 09:22 PM
thank you for making my point...no idea how ppl here can support these other ACC schools

I have no problem "rooting" for some ACC schools such as State, Clemson, BC (don't have anything against them). Will not actively root against most of the others (some I don't mind losing, though.)

Will root for invading aliens over the cheaters from down the road.

BandAlum83
09-22-2018, 09:31 PM

Being ranked, especially final ranking, is also very important to recruiting. As is premier Bowls. If others losing moves us up both rankings and ACC tie-ins to bowl bids, I say go ahead and lose to ODU!

Reilly
09-22-2018, 09:58 PM
... Will root for invading aliens over the cheaters from down the road.

Because you respect the invading aliens for attending at least one class to figure out how to land a spaceship as opposed to ... ummm ... well ...

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 10:02 PM

IT's got zip zero nada to do with supporting the other ACC schools...it's about what's best for Duke. For crying out loud, there is no bigger ACC cheerleader nationally than Coach K...is he an idiot????? No, but he knows that in the long run, it's best for everybody in the ACC for the ACC to succeed....sure, we may get BC's 24th spot this week...so what....think big picture. Think Coach K. BB and FB both are sports where the conference is a factor in recruiting.

Acymetric
09-22-2018, 10:23 PM
Is it possible VT drops completely out of the rankings this week? They basically have no resume (FSU is not looking like a good right now).

nmduke2001
09-22-2018, 11:49 PM
Some pretty poor results for Duke today. The VT loss keeps us from a potentially good win. Had Army pulled off the upset against Oklahoma all of a sudden our win against them looks much better.

BigWayne
09-22-2018, 11:49 PM
Better than VT... tied in the 4th quarter with 0-3 1AA team Old Dominion, and (potentially relevant for us next week) just lost their starting QB to injury.

Actually, ODU is a 1A/FBS team now, but just the last couple years. In Sagarin's ratings prior to today, they were ranked ahead of only two FBS teams, UTEP and Texas State. They were also ranked behind 51 1AA/FCS teams.

The VT loss to ODU is probably the biggest upset loss they have had in their entire history. This is on the level of App St beating Michigan.

moonpie23
09-23-2018, 12:01 AM
hokies looked good....

JasonEvans
09-23-2018, 01:35 AM
The VT loss to ODU is probably the biggest upset loss they have had in their entire history. This is on the level of App St beating Michigan.

Disagree.. App State was waaay better than this ODU team.

Reilly
09-23-2018, 05:06 AM
http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/20604504/gambling-10-biggest-college-football-pointspread-upsets-25-years

VT on this list 2x already. The ODU game does not crack the top 10. AppSt/Mich does.

Banana
09-23-2018, 05:24 AM
I am disappointed by Va Tech's shocking loss yesterday, but only because I attended Va Tech for a year before transferring to Duke. I am not concerned that Va Tech's loss removes the possibility of a "big" win next week. Duke doesn't need big wins at this point, just consistent wins. We have played surprisingly well so far, given the heavy injury toll we have suffered. Talented young players are stepping up across the board. If we can get most of our injured players back soon, we have a good shot at going into the Miami game undefeated. If we are undefeated at that point, I think we have a good chance to win that game. I am certainly not counting my chickens, yet. Some of our injured players may be out longer than we expect, or additional key players may get injured, or we may throw in a poor game and lose one we shouldn't. But it now appears that Duke's team, if reasonably healthy, may be at least the second best team in the division. If we keep winning, the AP and Coaches polls will eventually give us considerable credit for that, even though there may always be some penalty, in the polls and the Las Vegas odds, for Duke being Duke.

arnie
09-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Some pretty poor results for Duke today. The VT loss keeps us from a potentially good win. Had Army pulled off the upset against Oklahoma all of a sudden our win against them looks much better.

Well Baylor easily beat an improved Kansas team and as noted Army played great against Oklahoma. I think we get ranked this week. The prognosticators (CBS, SEC network disagree on if we get), seems to depend if TCU, Okla St fall out.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 08:12 AM

It might be the biggest upset loss for VT, but this is not on the level of App State Michigan for a couple reasons....Michigan is Michigan, and VT is not, simply in the cache of the name. Michigan was also ranked like 4th or 5th nationally at the time. And the game was in the Big House in front of 109 thousand Michigan fans.

Wander
09-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Actually, ODU is a 1A/FBS team now, but just the last couple years. In Sagarin's ratings prior to today, they were ranked ahead of only two FBS teams, UTEP and Texas State. They were also ranked behind 51 1AA/FCS teams.

Thanks for the correction. Strangely, this is somehow only the 3rd biggest upset for VT, if you go strictly by point spread.

Conference pride is overrated. It matters at the very top because you have 5 power conferences competing for 4 playoff spots, but otherwise the bowl structure of college football just rewards getting as many wins as possible if you're already a power conference team. Basketball is different (I think conference pride is overrated there too, but for different, more subjective reasons).

BigWayne
09-23-2018, 01:41 PM
It might be the biggest upset loss for VT, but this is not on the level of App State Michigan for a couple reasons...Michigan is Michigan, and VT is not, simply in the cache of the name. Michigan was also ranked like 4th or 5th nationally at the time. And the game was in the Big House in front of 109 thousand Michigan fans.

Well of course it's all subjective, but my reasoning was that though Michigan is above VT in stature, 2018 ODU is substantially below where App St. was. App St. was a consistently good FCS team at the time, and in fact ranked #1 in FCS. ODU is currently ranked below >50 FCS level teams. #1 FCS currently is North Dakota, which is #33 in Sagarin, between UCF and Florida.

wilson
09-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Well of course it's all subjective, but my reasoning was that though Michigan is above VT in stature, 2018 ODU is substantially below where App St. was. App St. was a consistently good FCS team at the time, and in fact ranked #1 in FCS. ODU is currently ranked below >50 FCS level teams. #1 FCS currently is North Dakota, which is #33 in Sagarin, between UCF and Florida.*North Dakota State. The Bison have won 6 of the last 7 FCS championships. UND, the Fighting Hawks (formerly the Fighting Sioux), just moved up to FCS from D-II about a decade ago.

Acymetric
09-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Is it possible VT drops completely out of the rankings this week? They basically have no resume (FSU is not looking like a good right now).

So the answer turns out to be yes (in the AP) and no (in the coaches). Duke ranked ahead of them in both in any case! Woohoo!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Well of course it's all subjective, but my reasoning was that though Michigan is above VT in stature, 2018 ODU is substantially below where App St. was. App St. was a consistently good FCS team at the time, and in fact ranked #1 in FCS. ODU is currently ranked below >50 FCS level teams. #1 FCS currently is North Dakota, which is #33 in Sagarin, between UCF and Florida.

It is indeed subjective...but I think I have a strong case and I think the lore of history will bear me out. It's clear that Michigan has way more cache than VT - and it's clear that pulling this stunner in the Big House was far more shocking than had the game - for some reason - been in Boone. I hate Michigan, but they are a massive school with almost a century of football tradition and iconic helmets, iconic fight song, and for the longest time, the only stadium seating more than 100 thousand. Tech has none of that and never will.

Then there's the charm of the little mountain school from Appalachia beating the big power from outside Detroit. Somehow that's viscerally different than the school from downtown Naw-fuk beating the school from the country. And let's not forget the final minute dramatics...App St taking the lead with FG...then Michigan completing like a 50 yard pass with 6 seconds to set up FG...then the FG block. In fact, it was so dramatic, that it led to an immediate spike in scrips for Big Ten Network.

As for trying to make it objective, it's simply impossible to compare the rankings of that App team and this ODU team because the entire set up of the divisions in CFB are so different now.

Ten years from now, there will still be more talk about App St - Michigan than ODU-VT. I'll be a dozen pies...:)
Kind of like Duke-Kentucky in 92...in addition to all of the objective facts that made the game great, both games somehow have that "it" factor.

Acymetric
09-23-2018, 02:34 PM
I'll weigh in to say that regardless of what "objective" measures point to ODU-VT being the bigger upset, App State - Michigan was definitely more iconic and will stand the test of time in football lore when talking about getting upset by a lower division opponent. ODU-VT will end up as a fun fact to bring up, App State - Michigan is basically the archetype of this kind of upset. This was a bigger upset, but App State - Michigan was more...shocking, somehow.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 02:50 PM
I'll weigh in to say that regardless of what "objective" measures point to ODU-VT being the bigger upset, App State - Michigan was definitely more iconic and will stand the test of time in football lore when talking about getting upset by a lower division opponent. ODU-VT will end up as a fun fact to bring up, App State - Michigan is basically the archetype of this kind of upset. This was a bigger upset, but App State - Michigan was more...shocking, somehow.

it was more shocking, and there are objective and subjective reasons for that: including;
A: It happened BEFORE ODU - VT and therefore set the standard.
B: The amazing last minute back and forth, by both teams. That last minute was crazy.
C: At Michigan, at the Big House, the iconic Big House, the iconic helmets, the ghost of Bo Schembechler....and on and on...
D:to this day The Big Ten Network credits the game for making them take off...

UVa1981
09-23-2018, 05:10 PM
App State - Michigan was definitely more iconic and will stand the test of time in football lore when talking about getting upset by a lower division opponent.

I agree that the App State upset was definitely the more iconic, for many of the reasons so trenchantly raised in this thread. Michigan's lore, stadium, helmets, fight song, and so on, whereas Virginia Tech has been a solid to good but not great team. Similarly, App State went into Michigan's stadium and knocked Michigan off; this smacks of bearding the lion in his den. Yesterday's game was played in Norfolk. Finally the App State upset was a thriller, a nail-biter down to the bitter end, with a miracle finish.

Continuing the latter point, the ODU game had a seesaw quality to it, until the game reached the dregs of the 4th quarter. Then ODU just walked away, winning by 2 TDs. App State was, and historically has been, a solid football team. Anybody playing had to expect a dogfight. ODU is terrible, with an 0-3 record, and is ranked more lowly than a large number of FCS teams. While App State's upset may have been more iconic, I submit that it was much less shocking.

A 28 point dog just won by 14, that totals to a 42 point miss by the oddsmakers. Maybe that's just the nature of college sports and games played between teenagers.

In any event, I'm pretty sure that UVa will be hearing less of UMBC from the Hokies for a while.

Wander
09-23-2018, 08:09 PM
Depends on how you define the "bigger" upset. The ODU-VT outcome was less likely and a involved a bigger Vegas point spread. The Michigan-App State upset was more impactful on the national landscape and more historic for being the first of its kind. To the poster above, neither was as big or embarrassing as UVA-UMBC in basketball.

A word of warning for us: both the Michigan team that lost to App State and the Virginia Tech team that lost to James Madison ended up having pretty good seasons! So beware thinking that this loss necessarily means that VT is terrible this year.

BigWayne
09-24-2018, 03:42 AM
A word of warning for us: both the Michigan team that lost to App State and the Virginia Tech team that lost to James Madison ended up having pretty good seasons! So beware thinking that this loss necessarily means that VT is terrible this year.

Fortunately, the game will not be played by those of that speculate on internet BB. I'm confident the coaching staff will make sure our players are focused on what they need to do to defeat VT.

UVa1981
09-24-2018, 08:33 AM
To the poster above, neither was as big or embarrassing as UVA-UMBC in basketball.

You won't get an argument from me about that. That said, UMBC was good enough to make the Dance, and any team that good is good enough to beat you on a given night. To that point, they played lights out, to their great credit.

Again, no argument. Such a loss could hack them off and make them very dangerous or it could demoralize them. I'd rather have them when you have them (next game) then when we have them (last game of the regular season). Their problems appeared to be mostly on the defensive side of the football and their DC has a history of fielding good defenses.

Good luck next weekend. This turn of events will make your game all the more interesting to watch.

PackMan97
09-24-2018, 09:33 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dnt8wGEUwAIAgZx.jpg
https://twitter.com/HeelIllustrated/status/1043564937279414273

From UNC's Week 4 home game against Pitt. Third Quarter.

Captioned: "They are Tar Heels born. They are Tar Heels bred. When they start losing, they are Tar Heels fled."

Note: Carolina did win this game, although it is uncertain if they will have to vacate the win after another future scandal.

OldPhiKap
09-24-2018, 09:42 AM

Captioned: "They are Tar Heels born. They are Tar Heels bred. When they start losing, they are Tar Heels fled."

Note: Carolina did win this game, although it is uncertain if they will have to vacate the win after another future scandal.

Many of their fans are suspended for the first four* games.

*Which UNC will reduce to three, because they are a bunch of cheating blowhards.

PackMan97
09-24-2018, 09:46 AM
*Which UNC will reduce to three, because they are a bunch of cheating blowhards.

In UNC's defense, math is math. The players were suspended for 30% of the season.

11*30% =3.3 rounded down to 3
12*30%= 3.6 rounded up to 4

OldPhiKap
09-24-2018, 09:48 AM
In UNC's defense

Quick! Someone hacked PackMan's account.

PackMan97
09-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Quick! Someone hacked PackMan's account.

I give credit due the Tar Heels when they get something right. In this case, it's 3 hours credit for MATH 61. First-Year Seminar: The Language of Mathematics: Making the Invisible Visible. 3 Credits.

Yes, that's a real course. http://www.catalog.unc.edu/courses/math/

OldPhiKap
09-24-2018, 10:02 AM
I give credit due the Tar Heels when they get something right. In this case, it's 3 hours credit for MATH 61. First-Year Seminar: The Language of Mathematics: Making the Invisible Visible. 3 Credits.

Yes, that's a real course. http://www.catalog.unc.edu/courses/math/

"Subtraction -- Addition's Tricky Pal" fills up quickly so you gotta sign up early to get in.

arnie
09-24-2018, 11:45 AM

I saw part of game. Looks to me that the pictire was photoshopped to add thousands of fans in the seats

devildeac
09-24-2018, 11:54 AM
I saw part of game. Looks to me that the pictire was photoshopped to add thousands of fans in the seats

Something that would not surprise me a bit with their rogue PR and athletic departments.

:rolleyes:

CameronBornAndBred
09-24-2018, 12:09 PM
Nice quote on ESPN.

In UNC's past 15 games versus Power 5 foes, it is 2-13. Both wins are against Pitt. So...
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24776550/power-5-conference-power-rankings-week-4

howardlander
09-24-2018, 12:14 PM
Nice quote on ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24776550/power-5-conference-power-rankings-week-4

Money quote: "Pitt might not be the second-worst team in the ACC, but when you lose to UNC, this is where you end up."

pfrduke
09-24-2018, 01:34 PM
In UNC's defense, math is math. The players were suspended for 30% of the season.

11*30% =3.3 rounded down to 3
12*30%= 3.6 rounded up to 4

More than anything else, this just reveals the stupidity in suspending someone for a percentage of a season. Seasons are played in games - pick a number of games and make it stick.

sagegrouse
09-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Nice quote on ESPN.

Has it been mentioned that Duke is ranked #3 in the ACC by the ESPN staff? Clemson and Miami are #1 and 2.

devildeac
09-24-2018, 01:46 PM
More than anything else, this just reveals the stupidity in suspending someone for a percentage of a season. Seasons are played in games - pick a number of games and make it stick.

Nothing seems "to stick" to shoe-nc.

:mad:

BigWayne
09-24-2018, 03:16 PM

NCAA guidelines for punishment are in % of seasons because the guidelines are not sport specific.

BigWayne
09-24-2018, 03:31 PM
Turns out, my idea of comparing the ODU over VT game to App. St. over Michigan was shared by someone a lot closer to the games.

The injured VT QB's dad was an assistant coach at Michigan for the App St. game and gives insider insight in this article. (https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/sports/football/virginia-tech-quarterback-josh-jackson-out-indefinitely/article_65893b64-7d7d-5086-bd2c-010ae9ebea8f.html)

pfrduke
09-24-2018, 06:48 PM
NCAA guidelines for punishment are in % of seasons because the guidelines are not sport specific.

There aren’t that many sports. Seems like the NCAA should have someone translate that general figure into per-sport game suspensions. Provides certainty and avoids silly outcomes like this.

NSDukeFan
09-25-2018, 01:31 PM
Fortunately, the game will not be played by those of that speculate on internet BB. I'm confident the coaching staff will make sure our players are focused on what they need to do to defeat VT.

It would be at least somewhat entertaining to see the game played by those that speculate on internet basketball. Could put some faces to monikers.

devildeac
09-25-2018, 02:12 PM
It would be at least somewhat entertaining to see the game played by those that speculate on internet basketball. Could put some faces to monikers.

My face is best suited for radio so I'll do the color commentary. :o

NSDukeFan
09-25-2018, 03:12 PM
My face is best suited for radio so I'll do the color commentary. :o

Or is your face better suited to internet discussions? 😃

devildeac
09-25-2018, 04:04 PM
Or is your face better suited to internet discussions? 😃

Yes, indeed, that applies, too. :eek: