PDA

View Full Version : Schadenfreude

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-20-2018, 09:20 AM
Hidden Brain (NPR show) did a show on shadenfreude and of course Duke basketball came up. Some researchers at UK did a study on Kentucky students and their reaction to news that a Blue Devil was seriously injured, the outcomes are a little disturbing.

“those people who exhibited that much more ventral striatal activity when watching their rival fail two weeks earlier in the scanner were the same people who then told us they would be that much more likely to threaten, heckle and hit a rival fan.”

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/04/644447045/competition-fuels-schadenfreude-research-shows

This is now another reason I am sometimes cautious to tell people I’m a Duke fan, and especially if I know they are a UK fan.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Hidden Brain (NPR show) did a show on shadenfreude and of course Duke basketball came up. Some researchers at UK did a study on Kentucky students and their reaction to news that a Blue Devil was seriously injured, the outcomes are a little disturbing.

“those people who exhibited that much more ventral striatal activity when watching their rival fail two weeks earlier in the scanner were the same people who then told us they would be that much more likely to threaten, heckle and hit a rival fan.”

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/04/644447045/competition-fuels-schadenfreude-research-shows

This is now another reason I am sometimes cautious to tell people I’m a Duke fan, and especially if I know they are a UK fan.

Interesting, and there's no doubt that Duke, for no good reason, is the most hated college basketball team, and it's not even close with whoever is second. All of it started based on wrong perceptions about Ferry and Laettner and Coach K and JJ and a handful of others, and now it's just got a life of its own. (well, maybe they were valid about Ferry). The same people who hated Laettner thinking he was a rich preppie tend to love Grant Hill, who really WAS a preppie.

That said, I don't think this is exactly how schadenfreude is normally used in english, which may or may not be accurate with the German. I've always thought there was a modicum of irony in schadenfreude, in addition to the happiness gained by the failings of a rival...you know, where the "bad guys" brought the trouble on themselves...or their hypocrisy was exposed, etc. Now this may simply be my impression, and maybe I'm over reading the meaning.

Either way, Duke and Laettner still live rent free inside the heads of UK fans, and that's hilarious. I think they simply loathe us, period, schadenfreude or not.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-20-2018, 10:06 AM

Would failing a spelling test because you misspelled schadenfreude (as in the title of this thread) be schadenfreude?

Interesting article - thanks for posting. And now I have the song from Avenue Q in my head, which is a good thing.

kcduke75
09-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Last March, I was walking into a bar (sounds like the beginning of a joke!) in Lexington, wearing a Duke blue jacket with just the D on it, and a guy going out the door punched me in the arm.

WHAT!!

Turns out he was just being "friendly" and we had a good discussion of Duke basketball (he actually respected coach K).

My wife (who was wearing the Back-to-Back tee shirt despite my request no to) was inside wondering what had happened to me.

There was no further harassment but we considered ourselves lucky. It was clear that "the shot" still stings.

MCFinARL
09-20-2018, 10:49 AM
Would failing a spelling test because you misspelled schadenfreude (as in the title of this thread) be schadenfreude?

Interesting article - thanks for posting. And now I have the song from Avenue Q in my head, which is a good thing.

That wouldn't be schadenfreude, but the feeling of pleasure you may have taken when making the above post would have been. ;)

johnb
09-20-2018, 11:00 AM
If I hear Duke hate while sitting in a sports bar, I tend to quote Schopenhauer: "to feel envy is human, to savor schadenfreude is diabolic" and order another round.

If I hear it while visiting relatives in west Texas, I generally lean on their enormous grill, crack open a beer, and say, "Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, e terra magnum alterius spectare laborem," which they recognize more easily as, "it is pleasant to watch from the land the great struggle of someone else in a sea rendered great by turbulent winds."

If people utter Duke snark while we're waiting in line at the movie theater, I point out that comedic sadism is a cornerstone of slapstick, but Chaplin died in 1977, and really, such a genre reached it's peach over 500 years ago with the commedia dell'arte, so perhaps we should move on.

If people revel in a Duke injury, I quote from Lord Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage:
I see before me the Gladiator lie:
He leans upon his hand—his manly brow
Consents to death, but conquers agony,
And his drooped head sinks gradually low—
And through his side the last drops, ebbing slow
From the red gash, fall heavy, one by one,
Like the first of a thunder-shower; and now
The arena swims around him: he is gone,
Ere ceased the inhuman shout which hailed the wretch who won.

And when I hear a hostile Duke comment spoken by the faithful, I lean toward the offending mouth, perhaps too close, slide over to the adjacent ear and slowly whisper (while channeling my Pulp Fiction Samuel L. Jackson): "rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: Lest the Lord see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him." (Proverbs 24:17–18).

I find that such responses not only take the wind out of their sails, but they also lead me to having plenty of free time when I might otherwise be bothered by social invitations.

MCFinARL
09-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Interesting, and there's no doubt that Duke, for no good reason, is the most hated college basketball team, and it's not even close with whoever is second. All of it started based on wrong perceptions about Ferry and Laettner and Coach K and JJ and a handful of others, and now it's just got a life of its own. (well, maybe they were valid about Ferry). The same people who hated Laettner thinking he was a rich preppie tend to love Grant Hill, who really WAS a preppie.

That said, I don't think this is exactly how schadenfreude is normally used in english, which may or may not be accurate with the German. I've always thought there was a modicum of irony in schadenfreude, in addition to the happiness gained by the failings of a rival...you know, where the "bad guys" brought the trouble on themselves...or their hypocrisy was exposed, etc. Now this may simply be my impression, and maybe I'm over reading the meaning.

Either way, Duke and Laettner still live rent free inside the heads of UK fans, and that's hilarious. I think they simply loathe us, period, schadenfreude or not.

Interesting point. I believe the definition of schadenfreude is, simply, pleasure at the misfortune of others, though in popular usage it may sometimes taken on the nuance you describe--at the least it is usually accompanied by the conclusion that the person somehow "deserved" what happened to them, though that conclusion may be a product of jealousy more than anything else.

While we are on the subject of usage, Grant Hill went to South Lakes High School in Reston, VA--so he is technically not a "preppie" even though he was a suburban kid from a very well-off family. I recognize that "preppie" (or "preppy") have become descriptors of a certain fashion style/lifestyle (courtesy of the '80's, I believe--and Ralph Lauren) more than identifiers of where one actually went to school. But we might have to check how many polo shirts Grant had back in the day to see if that definition fits. :D

sagegrouse
09-20-2018, 11:13 AM

Annhhh!! No problemo. Two recent experiences.

I was sitting at lunch after golf here in the Rocky Mountains with a half-dozen other guys. I forget the context, but I mentioned that I had been to six Final Fours. A new member, who happened to be a Wake Forest alum, asked, "What's that about?" I said, "I went to Duke." He said, "That's unfortunate." Then three other guys at the table spoke up: "My daughter went to Duke." "My son went to Duke." "My daughter graduated from Duke Law School." And I, of course, added: "My daughter went to Duke." Silence.

Last March, on the day of the regional finals, I was on the gondola headed up the mountain to ski a bit before the game. A twenty-something on the gondola was wearing a Villanova sweatshirt (and lived in Denver). I mentioned that I hoped to go to the Final Four and had bought a plane ticket just in case. He said, "What school?" I said, "Duke." He also said, "That's unfortunate." I said, "Well, I've been to six Final Fours." He said, "That's a good comeback." Then I tried to talk him into making plans to go to the games, since my prior experience in San Antonio was that tickets would be easy to get for small and distant school like 'Nova and Duke. Also, you can cancel plane tickets within 24 hours (which, alas, I did). I don't think he followed up -- I'm sure he regrets it.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Interesting point. I believe the definition of schadenfreude is, simply, pleasure at the misfortune of others, though in popular usage it may sometimes taken on the nuance you describe--at the least it is usually accompanied by the conclusion that the person somehow "deserved" what happened to them, though that conclusion may be a product of jealousy more than anything else.

While we are on the subject of usage, Grant Hill went to South Lakes High School in Reston, VA--so he is technically not a "preppie" even though he was a suburban kid from a very well-off family. I recognize that "preppie" (or "preppy") have become descriptors of a certain fashion style/lifestyle (courtesy of the '80's, I believe--and Ralph Lauren) more than identifiers of where one actually went to school. But we might have to check how many polo shirts Grant had back in the day to see if that definition fits. :D

You sir are correct, that schadenfreude simply means taking pleasure in the misfortune of others......and I think you are also correct that my irony based nuance is how it's often used in our culture.

And yes, by calling Grant Hill a preppy, I meant in the general sense of having that economic background...while those considered spoiled Duke preppies - Laettner and Hurley - actually were very middle class. And I don't know what Reston was like when Grant went to high school, but that area is loaded with rich folks now.

fidel
09-20-2018, 11:17 AM
If I hear Duke hate while sitting in a sports bar, I tend to quote Schopenhauer: "to feel envy is human, to savor schadenfreude is diabolic" and order another round.

If I hear it while visiting relatives in west Texas, I generally lean on their enormous grill, crack open a beer, and say, "Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, e terra magnum alterius spectare laborem," which they recognize more easily as, "it is pleasant to watch from the land the great struggle of someone else in a sea rendered great by turbulent winds."

If people utter Duke snark while we're waiting in line at the movie theater, I point out that comedic sadism is a cornerstone of slapstick, but Chaplin died in 1977, and really, such a genre reached it's peach over 500 years ago with the commedia dell'arte, so perhaps we should move on.

If people revel in a Duke injury, I quote from Lord Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage:

And when I hear a hostile Duke comment spoken by the faithful, I lean toward the offending mouth, perhaps too close, slide over to the adjacent ear and slowly whisper (while channeling my Pulp Fiction Samuel L. Jackson): "rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: Lest the Lord see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him." (Proverbs 24:17–18).

I find that such responses not only take the wind out of their sails, but they also lead me to having plenty of free time when I might otherwise be bothered by social invitations.

I can't decide if I am laughing or speechless. Well played.

BLPOG
09-20-2018, 11:24 AM

"And the award for Best Post goes to...johnb!"

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-20-2018, 01:56 PM

Yep. It’s delicious regardless.

I’ve always gotten pleasure from a UNC loss to be sure, but I don’t enjoy seeing another player get injured. Even Tyler Hansbrough. Does that make me better than an extremely passionate Kentucky fan? Probably.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2018, 02:25 PM
I always tell Kentucky fans that the hate is not mutual. We respect the achievements of Coach Rupp. We are impressed with the number of national championships they have won.

And above all, we are appreciative of Rick Pitino's decision not to guard the inbound passer in the 1992 East Regional Final.

That usually ends the conversation.

thedukelamere
09-20-2018, 03:01 PM
I always tell Kentucky fans that the hate is not mutual. We respect the achievements of Coach Rupp. We are impressed with the number of national championships they have won.

And above all, we are appreciative of Rick Pitino's decision not to guard the inbound passer in the 1992 East Regional Final.

That usually ends the conversation.

I deal with my fair share of BBN up here in Indiana, and since I'm never the one pick the fight (unless having a Duke logo on 80% of my clothing is considered instigation) I always gauge my response by how much vitriol is thrown my way first.. I usually try to be as zen like OPK if it is just a passionate fan that like ribbing other blue bloods, but I have also gone scorched earth on a few that just were asking for it. My go-to's are congratulating them for their WW2/Cold War titles, pointing out the irony in a guy named Adolf having some trouble with another race and then not winning another title post-segregation, or just simply asking them how many National Championships they've seen in person (thank God for Indianapolis). Then I rave about platoon systems and Frank the Tank.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2018, 03:22 PM
I deal with my fair share of BBN up here in Indiana, and since I'm never the one pick the fight (unless having a Duke logo on 80% of my clothing is considered instigation) I always gauge my response by how much vitriol is thrown my way first.. I usually try to be as zen like OPK if it is just a passionate fan that like ribbing other blue bloods, but I have also gone scorched earth on a few that just were asking for it. My go-to's are congratulating them for their WW2/Cold War titles, pointing out the irony in a guy named Adolf having some trouble with another race and then not winning another title post-segregation, or just simply asking them how many National Championships they've seen in person (thank God for Indianapolis). Then I rave about platoon systems and Frank the Tank.

{Note to self: Do. Not. Piss. Off. thedukelamere.}

jv001
09-20-2018, 03:37 PM
When I get a negative comment about my Duke hat or shirt, usually at a golf course or restaurant, My reply is almost always the same. I say, "it could be worse, I could be a Cheat Fan". It doesn't matter if they are in the 90% crowd(uncheat fans) or the other 10% fans. They know who I'm talking about. Either way, it usually shuts them up. GoDuke!

BandAlum83
09-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Someone, or two or three, please Spork johnb for this post of the year. I cant!

BandAlum83
09-21-2018, 01:17 PM

Are you by any chance a certain John B who lived in House CC, was a triple major and rumor has it an eventual Rhodes Scholar?

johnb
09-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Are you by any chance a certain John B who lived in House CC, was a triple major and rumor has it an eventual Rhodes Scholar?

Only in my G-rated daydreams.

I coulda been if I were smarter, better organized, and more creative, all of which might have been more likely if I hadn't lived in BOG.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Only in my G-rated daydreams.

I coulda been if I were smarter, better organized, and more creative, all of which might have been more likely if I hadn't lived in BOG.

BOGgers were plenty creative. Ain't no need for cheer sheets.

budwom
09-21-2018, 03:33 PM

I think you've described a nice blend of schadenfreude and karma...indeed, they can go together as well as gin and tonic...

johnb
09-21-2018, 03:36 PM
BOGgers were plenty creative. Ain't no need for cheer sheets.

Actually, I can't really remember much from those years, but the prolonged blur speaks to our "creativity."

HereBeforeCoachK
09-21-2018, 04:05 PM
I think you've described a nice blend of schadenfreude and karma...indeed, they can go together as well as gin and tonic...

...single malt, and well, nothing......:cool:

OldPhiKap
09-21-2018, 04:11 PM
...single malt, and well, nothing...:cool:

A few drops of water, nothing else.

weezie
09-21-2018, 04:20 PM
This is cute: a new guy was hired to do security and man the parking gate at work. He saw the plates on my car "BLU DEVL" and started razzing me almost every day. "Ugh, change those plates!" "Hey when are you getting new plates?" "Go heels!" "Go to hell Duke!" Wit is not exactly his strong play. I would laugh and wave in royal fashion.

Today I stopped and asked him if he'd like two tickets to one of the pre-season games in Cameron and his jaw hit the ground. He was stunned and delighted. All smiles, practically teary-eyed! I said one condition, "Absolutely NO light blue clothing in those seats, and believe me, I have people watching what you will be wearing."

He paused to consider and then yelled, "GO DUKE!"

Part of my world mission to convert the heathens. Benevolent me.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2018, 04:24 PM
This is cute: a new guy was hired to do security and man the parking gate at work. He saw the plates on my car "BLU DEVL" and started razzing me almost every day. "Ugh, change those plates!" "Hey when are you getting new plates?" "Go heels!" "Go to hell Duke!" Wit is not exactly his strong play. I would laugh and wave in royal fashion.

Today I stopped and asked him if he'd like two tickets to one of the pre-season games in Cameron and his jaw hit the ground. He was stunned and delighted. All smiles, practically teary-eyed! I said one condition, "Absolutely NO light blue clothing in those seats, and believe me, I have people watching what you will be wearing."

He paused to consider and then yelled, "GO DUKE!"

Part of my world mission to convert the heathens. Benevolent me.

"Perform random acts of Weezie"

fidel
09-21-2018, 05:22 PM
<sniff...sniff>

Next, explain 'going to class' to him...

ancienteagle
09-21-2018, 09:25 PM

"There was an awful lot of schaden in that freude."

JBDuke
09-22-2018, 11:09 AM
I’ve always gotten pleasure from a UNC loss to be sure, but I don’t enjoy seeing another player get injured. Even Tyler Hansbrough. Does that make me better than an extremely passionate Kentucky fan? Probably.

Well, "better than an extremely passionate Kentucky fan" is a pretty low bar, so I'd agree with "probably."