PDA

View Full Version : Bull City Football: Duke 55, NCCU 13

OldPhiKap
09-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Okay, week four is upon us. The Eagles are 1-1 with last week washed out (so an extra week to prepare for us). Duke is a heavy favorite.

My questions:

1. Health. Can we avoid the injury bug and get some folks back?

2. Focus. Incredible job in Waco to play without a turnover or a penalty. Are we focused, or lax?

3. QB. Do we try to get QH as many snaps as possible to give him experience, or do we work on snaps for a second and third QB if we get a big cushion in the second half?

Next game, next opportunity. LGD!!

Acymetric
09-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Okay, week four is upon us. The Eagles are 1-1 with last week washed out (so an extra week to prepare for us). Duke is a heavy favorite.

My questions:

2. Focus. Incredible job in Waco to play without a turnover or a penalty. Are we focused, or lax?

3. QB. Do we try to get QH as many snaps as possible to give him experience, or do we work on snaps for a second and third QB if we get a big cushion in the second half?

I don't mean to be negative, but do blocked punts not count as turnovers? Seems like the same kind of thing.

devildeac
09-17-2018, 10:45 PM

My questions:

Nice start-up, OPK.

1. Injuries are almost inevitable but would be nice to avoid any during this game.

2. I think we'll be focused for the first half.

3. Thinking QH gets to play all the series in the 1st half (except maybe one) and then Katrenick and/or Holmburg handle all the 2nd half snaps with little passing and a lot of running plays for Pierre, Hubbard and Durant.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-17-2018, 11:03 PM

My questions:

I'll give it a stab:

1. We'll rest some marginal players to get them ready for VT....Brown, for example...and no McDuffie or Young either.

2. It will be tough to be focused, but playing some younger players will help that....

3. I think we'll see some Katrenick in the second half.

jimsumner
09-17-2018, 11:45 PM
I don't mean to be negative, but do blocked punts not count as turnovers? Seems like the same kind of thing.

Technically not. It's just a punt that doesn't go very far in the right direction. Or at all, in the right direction.

Definitely a mistake. But not a turnover.

Bob Green
09-18-2018, 04:52 AM
Same with going for it on 4th down and not making it which is a "turnover on downs" but not a "turnover" on the stats sheet.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-18-2018, 07:29 AM
Same with going for it on 4th down and not making it which is a "turnover on downs" but not a "turnover" on the stats sheet.

Another take on this....is that an interception on third and long or fourth and long is counted as a turnover, when in effect, it's a punt...potentially a long punt...if you throw the ball long. I'm not arguing it should be counted differently, just that some official turnovers are really not harmful in the way fans might think.

There was an article, month or so ago, I think on ESPN.com about how "turnover margin" stats can be misleading and overblown. In addition to the scenario above, it showed that many turnovers happen as a result of teams being behind and taking chances in the passing game. You know, teams suffer turnovers after they are behind....as much as they turn it over to fall behind....kind of a thing. It was an interesting piece.

Of course, there's not denying the fact that the two Baylor turnovers were absolutely crucial Saturday.

UrinalCake
09-18-2018, 08:45 AM

No, you’re already turning the ball over on downs so the only difference is where the ball winds up. Put another way - if you were to get the punt off cleanly and then the receiving team runs it all the way back for a TD, should that count as a turnover? Obviously no but it’s the same result.

AustinDevil
09-18-2018, 09:21 AM
This is the ultimate trap game. I can't do a lot about that but I'm at least going to bump this thread above the de facto VT game thread that's also already going (not criticizing those who are excited about the 7PM slot, just saying "one game at a time").

NCCU usually comes into the season opener at Duke feeling overmatched. This time, I suspect they're going to feel disrespected and overlooked.

OldPhiKap
09-18-2018, 09:24 AM
This is the ultimate trap game. I can't do a lot about that but I'm at least going to bump this thread above the de facto VT game thread that's also already going (not criticizing those who are excited about the 7PM slot, just saying "one game at a time").

NCCU usually comes into the season opener at Duke feeling overmatched. This time, I suspect they're going to feel disrespected and overlooked.

And they had an extra week to practice, perhaps, since their game last week was cancelled. (Of course, they may have gone home to help families with flooding too -- not sure what their schedule was. ECU's football team just went to Florida I am told because they have a game there this week, so got out of town and practiced).

I take nothing for granted. But I agree with Vegas that we're pretty big favorites for a number of reasons.

Indoor66
09-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Are you guys kidding or didn't Florence give you enough to worry about?

OldPhiKap
09-18-2018, 09:56 AM

Florence missed where I am after threatening, so I have lots of angst to burn.

The main worry I have, though, is health.

ehdg
09-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Any update on Edgar Cerenord? He went down at one point in the game and left the field.

AustinDevil
09-18-2018, 11:18 AM

I was in sunny Waco this weekend, nowhere near the storm. But you, and others, are dramatically underestimating the roles that emotion and motivation can play in sports.

PDDuke85
09-18-2018, 12:22 PM
I was in sunny Waco this weekend, nowhere near the storm. But you, and others, are dramatically underestimating the roles that emotion and motivation can play in sports.

I'll take the talent and motivation of our reserves over the talent and motivation of the NCCU starters. Go Duke

UrinalCake
09-18-2018, 12:27 PM
We should win easily, but the 40+ point spread is way too high. The players will have a natural letdown, and we’ll go deep into the bench to reduce the injury risk. I think we win by 20.

budwom
09-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Any update on Edgar Cerenord? He went down at one point in the game and left the field.

updates required (may not get them) on a slew of other guys, too, foremost of whom would be Michael Carter...also Blackwell, Harmon, Chambers, Brown, on and on...

Avvocato
09-18-2018, 12:46 PM
I'm not ringing any alarm bells, but I am in the one game at a time camp. Let's come in focused, ready to play, no turnovers, and take care of business. Don't give underdogs any hope. With that said, this game is at the perfect time for us. After last week, we actually need to get Quentin Harris as many reps as possible. As well as he played against Baylor, on the road, managing the game and no turnovers, he still completed less than 50% of his passes against a bad defense (just ask Jason Evans), and now there is some game tape of him for Bud Foster and others to work off of. He will only get better with more playing time. This is the perfect game to get him some work and build on his confidence. In my opinion, the more snaps for QH, the better. I'd like to see a nice, clean, efficient game from him. Assuming we will have a nice lead, I think the fourth quarter we can get some other QBs some work. Obviously, we don't want to get him hurt, but QH also has to play and keep getting experience. I'm sure Cut will know when to pull him.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-18-2018, 01:08 PM

AMEN bros. Emotion and motivation, especially that driven by a perceived lack of respect, is a powerful powerful force in college sports. So much so that coaches will often invent a lack of respect from the outside, especially the media, as a way to help motivate their team. See Philadelphia Eagles, pretending to be dissed simply because people thought the loss of Carson Wentz was fatal.

I won several stunning bets simply by betting on emotion: You may remember some of these...

Boise over Oklahoma in a bowl
Vince Young and Texas over USC in Rose Bowl
Louisville under Charlie Strong over Florida in some bowl game.
Boise over VT in a season opener made for TV.

In each case, there was near unanimous belief in the media that the favored team would win. In each case, the emotional advantage for the underdog seemed much bigger than the physical advantage of the favorite. In each case, the underdogs not only covered the spread, they won the game. In a couple cases, they won by a lot.

Bob Green
09-18-2018, 03:37 PM
We should win easily, but the 40+ point spread is way too high. The players will have a natural letdown, and we’ll go deep into the bench to reduce the injury risk. I think we win by 20.

You might be right, especially about the letdown after two big road wins but looking at the past five wins over NCCU, 40+ point spread seems right:

2017: 60-7
2016: 49-6
2015: 55-0
2013: 45-0
2012: 54-17

Average margin of victory is 46.6 points. I'm thinking we win by a lot more than 20 points.

accfanfrom1970
09-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Is current and past weather a factor at all this weekend? Field conditions? Family and friends affected? Fans traveling?

BigWayne
09-18-2018, 05:50 PM
Is current and past weather a factor at all this weekend? Field conditions? Family and friends affected? Fans traveling?

Conditions in the eastern part of the state will not have resolved themselves by the weekend. Traveling in that area will still be difficult.

Current flooding in the Durham area should be drained by Saturday.

Bob Green
09-19-2018, 04:59 AM
Jim Sumner article on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/19/17877646/david-cutcliffe-pleased-with-duke-football-but-work-remains-to-be-done-cutcliffe-acc

A nice Quentin Harris quote:

“I’ve looked at the game film (from Baylor) to see where I can improve, where I can get better, where I can help our offense get better. I’ve never believed myself to be only a running quarterback. I’ve always thought of myself as a pocket passer and thought that Coach Cut could help me refine that.”

OldPhiKap
09-19-2018, 07:32 AM
Jim’s article, as always, is a must-read. Thanks for linking it, Bob.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Jim’s article, as always, is a must-read. Thanks for linking it, Bob.

What I really found interesting were Cut's comments on the shanked extra point...the kicker was not mentally prepared for a one play drive, maybe the entire unit was not prepared, and it was a miss. To me, that shows that coach has a read on his players, that they are honest with the coaching staff, and that this particular problem is 100% correctable. A good teachable moment.

budwom
09-19-2018, 10:09 AM
What I really found interesting were Cut's comments on the shanked extra point...the kicker was not mentally prepared for a one play drive, maybe the entire unit was not prepared, and it was a miss. To me, that shows that coach has a read on his players, that they are honest with the coaching staff, and that this particular problem is 100% correctable. A good teachable moment.

I enjoyed Jim's report. Two things: 1) I could see on TV that Wareham lined up rather weirdly for the shanked PAT, more straight back from the holder than to the side (as usual). A shank friendly position...
2) One quibble with Jim's report: as one who is working on a Ph D in Cut-speak, I did not take his comments on Cerenord and Carter (or McDuffie for that matter) to mean they are "day to day."
I could see how one could interpret it that way, but I think he left gobs of wiggle room with the "we don't rule anyone out until the training staff tells us that on Thursday." (paraphrase).
Would not surprise me to see them running around this weekend, nor would it surprise me if we didn't see them for several weeks, such are the orations of The Cut.

jimsumner
09-19-2018, 10:43 AM
I enjoyed Jim's report. Two things: 1) I could see on TV that Wareham lined up rather weirdly for the shanked PAT, more straight back from the holder than to the side (as usual). A shank friendly position...
2) One quibble with Jim's report: as one who is working on a Ph D in Cut-speak, I did not take his comments on Cerenord and Carter (or McDuffie for that matter) to mean they are "day to day."
I could see how one could interpret it that way, but I think he left gobs of wiggle room with the "we don't rule anyone out until the training staff tells us that on Thursday." (paraphrase).
Would not surprise me to see them running around this weekend, nor would it surprise me if we didn't see them for several weeks, such are the orations of The Cut.

After you master Cut-speak, will you use your powers on NHL injury reports?

killerleft
09-19-2018, 01:40 PM

I think that Wareham indeed did line up as you say. Even though it might be weird for a soccer-style kicker (the youngsters probably wonder if there is another style), I believe he always lines up that way.

budwom
09-19-2018, 02:52 PM

that would cause me an intracranial anomaly...just hoping we see some of our wounded guys running around at some point, which would be good.
Just saw a report that Daniel Jones is throwing, wearing pads...which is both mildly encouraging and nebulous...still can't imagine seeing him for another month at the earliest.

OldPhiKap
09-19-2018, 02:56 PM
I think that Wareham indeed did line up as you say. Even though it might be weird for a soccer-style kicker (the youngsters probably wonder if there is another style), I believe he always lines up that way.

I thought I heard Cut say in the press conference that the snapper, holder, and kicker all shared some blame.

He said that the blocked punt was a "sore spot" and inexcusable. The line let the guy come close the prior punt (to do "recognizance" as Cut put it), and then let him in the next time to do the actual deed.

UrinalCake
09-19-2018, 04:26 PM

It will be a factor for fans who live east of the triangle, as they will have trouble traveling to the game. Durham itself was spared the brunt of the storm, there was some localized flooding (to the extent of roads becoming impassable) that peaked on Monday but has since receded. I think the bigger area of concern will be all the required support personnel - policemen, firemen, emergency responders, traffic officers, etc. - that are required to host a game. These folks have been heavily taxed over the past week.

I would love for the school to extend some support to the community, maybe by offering free tickets to evacuees or those involved in rescue efforts. It would be somewhat self-serving as it would help fill the stadium, but also a gesture of good will. Many local businesses have done similar things.

Reilly
09-19-2018, 04:38 PM
... maybe by offering free tickets to evacuees or those involved in rescue efforts ...

Great idea. I suggest just offering free tix to whoever wants one, no selection criteria or proving of entitlement necessary.

Our area has been through a lot recently. Let's all come together as a community to support each other and take our mind off of the recent troubles for three hours this Saturday. Free tix available at the ticket window beginning X hours before kickoff. See you at the game

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2018, 06:17 PM
Great idea. I suggest just offering free tix to whoever wants one, no selection criteria or proving of entitlement necessary.

Our area has been through a lot recently. Let's all come together as a community to support each other and take our mind off of the recent troubles for three hours this Saturday. Free tix available at the ticket window beginning X hours before kickoff. See you at the game

This is Homecoming Weekend, Hall of Fame Weekend (inductions the night before), and Employee Appreciation Day. The employees get as many as four tickets each to go along with some free food. Don't know how many free tickets are left after all that's covered.:)

HereBeforeCoachK
09-19-2018, 06:23 PM
It will be a factor for fans who live east of the triangle, as they will have trouble traveling to the game. Durham itself was spared the brunt of the storm, there was some localized flooding (to the extent of roads becoming impassable) that peaked on Monday but has since receded. I think the bigger area of concern will be all the required support personnel - policemen, firemen, emergency responders, traffic officers, etc. - that are required to host a game. These folks have been heavily taxed over the past week.

I would love for the school to extend some support to the community, maybe by offering free tickets to evacuees or those involved in rescue efforts. It would be somewhat self-serving as it would help fill the stadium, but also a gesture of good will. Many local businesses have done similar things.

Kinston, for example, is supposed to see the crest of the flooding this Saturday. It is definitely a factor for those east. I'm still evacuated to Raleigh....from Beaufort.

Reilly
09-19-2018, 08:48 PM
... Don't know how many free tickets are left after all that's covered.:)

Unfortunately, it might be more than you and I hope. We may run out of people to give them to before we run out of tickets.

Good to know it's employee appreciation day -- that usually does fill in pretty nicely, if the weather's nice.

loran16
09-19-2018, 10:24 PM

It's amazing how the ACC removing injury reports has made Duke (and other ACC) Football Injury reports somehow less transparent than the league which refuses to say more than "Upper Body" or "Lower Body" injury, if that. I never realized how much I relied on those damn reports, but this is getting annoying and we're only through week 3.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Unfortunately, it might be more than you and I hope. We may run out of people to give them to before we run out of tickets.

Good to know it's employee appreciation day -- that usually does fill in pretty nicely, if the weather's nice.
Homecoming does draw a few people, too.

chrishoke
09-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Our Dukies will be in all blue this Saturday.

chrishoke
09-20-2018, 03:28 PM

BigWayne
09-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Our Dukies will be in all blue this Saturday.

Helmet closeup:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnjWEurU0AEkA76.jpg

Devilwin
09-20-2018, 05:03 PM
Ok, let's play "Pick The Final Score". I will guess, Duke 51, NCCU 10.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Helmet closeup:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnjWEurU0AEkA76.jpg

An apple a day keeps Central's offense away.

Pghdukie
09-20-2018, 06:16 PM
Hockey "official" injury reports are by far the most vague and surely have a language of their own. Most include only 2 words - upper body or lower body.

devildeac
09-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Ok, let's play "Pick The Final Score". I will guess, Duke 51, NCCU 10.

Duke 45
NCCU 7

BigWayne
09-20-2018, 09:14 PM
48-7

OldPhiKap
09-20-2018, 09:21 PM
54-3.

killerleft
09-20-2018, 09:46 PM
41-0 Duke.

duke2x
09-20-2018, 09:55 PM
Games like this are impossible to predict. I think the need to rest the 1's very early and eliminating VT film make this closer than usual. We could win this game without throwing a pass or running the wishbone.

NCCU----7
Duke----42

What we want to see:
No further injuries.
Minimize bad plays (<= 1 TO, no ST miscues, <= 1 "X" play for NCCU offense).

Where we get concerned:
Give up more than 14 points without preceding TOs/ST miscue.
Score less than 17 points.

jwillfan
09-20-2018, 11:01 PM
I will be at my son's baseball tournament - does "ACC Network" mean I can stream on the ESPN app?

He will be starting pitcher (16u travel ball) and I will be unlikely to watch much so can do gameday - but still be interested to know.

I will likely do the Blue Devil IMG TuneIn audio using bluetooth but would like to watch a few of what I know will be fun replays. Knowwhaddimean?

brevity
09-20-2018, 11:12 PM
I wasn't able to find a vintage program because the Bull City Gridiron Classic isn't exactly vintage. It started in 2009.

Duke won 49-14. NCCU Athletics posted a throwback tweet (https://twitter.com/NCCUAthletics/status/903305786750840832) last year with some pictures from that game.

Bob Green
09-21-2018, 04:55 AM
Duke 51, NCCU 0

HereBeforeCoachK
09-21-2018, 07:02 AM
Very vanilla offense...solid D....resting players...

Duke 38 Central 3

budwom
09-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Get a big lead, protect Harris, play a lot of guys.

swiseman
09-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Some injury updates are sprinkled into this story about how Duke has built the depth that has allowed it to, so far, keep winning with all the injuries. From what I've been told, don't expect many of the guys who have been missing games to return vs. NCCU. It shouldn't matter in this game. The VT game is, of course, far more important.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article218749260.html

jimsumner
09-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Get a big lead, protect Harris, play a lot of guys.

The Harris thing is interesting.

He clearly needs the work. As impressive as much of his game was against Baylor, he still completed only 40 percent of his passes.

But Katrenick also needs work. Maybe Holmberg. And Duke cannot risk an injury to Harris.

But Harris needs the work.

My best guess is that Harris plays all of the first half and a series or two in the second half and Duke calls very few plays that result in Harris carrying the ball.

But it is a balancing act.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-21-2018, 12:24 PM
The Harris thing is interesting.

He clearly needs the work. As impressive as much of his game was against Baylor, he still completed only 40 percent of his passes.
. And Duke cannot risk an injury to Harris. But Harris needs the work.

My best guess is that Harris plays all of the first half and a series or two in the second half and Duke calls very few plays that result in Harris carrying the ball.

But it is a balancing act.

It is a balancing act indeed Jim...because the one thing we know - Harris is quicker than Jones is the first 10-20 yards after taking off. I don't know who is faster over, say 40 yards or more, but Harris looks quicker off the start.

The body of work for the deep balls is very small, but Harris - taking his deep throws only - had a terrific passing game. Based on what Cut said about his ability to throw deep, and the one game, that is encouraging. On the pretty good chance he'll have to play against VT, I'd like to see some QB draws and long balls, or fades, Saturday, and hopefully better performance on short and intermediate throws.

Banana
09-21-2018, 01:30 PM
My updated Depth Chart for the North Carolina Central game is attached. 8673

My understanding from Steve Wiseman's recent article (see post 54 above) is that injured Aaron Young and Michael Carter are not available for tomorrow's game. Therefore, Chris Taylor should start again at wide receiver, and Myles Hudzick should get his first start at cornerback. I suspect that even if injured Zach Harmon is available tomorrow (as I believe he was last week), Jack Wohlabaugh will get most, if not all, of the snaps at center, due to his experience snapping to Quentin Harris while they were both on the second team. I also suspect that even if injured Jeremy McDuffie is available tomorrow, he won't play much, so as not to risk reinjury before the key Va Tech game next Saturday.

Scott Bracey caught his first pass of the season against Baylor. Even though Jake Bobo and Keyston Fuller are still awaiting their first catches, TJ Rahming, Johnathan Lloyd and Aaron Young have combined for 6 TD catches in just 3 games, so the wide receivers as a group have exceeded my expectations. While our 3 primary tight ends have 9 total catches, those catches have gone for only 70 total yards. I am hoping that at some point a TE can slip down the middle of the field for a long gain or two. That would open up things for the other receivers.

Dylan Singleton leads the team in tackles (28), and also has 2 forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and a pass breakup. No wonder Coach Cut says he is playing like an All-American so far!

By the way, I am now counting blocked kicks as turnovers in my tackles-for-loss and turnovers column. I know that is not the official treatment, but I am trying to highlight key defensive plays in that column, so there! :)

brlftz
09-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Some injury updates are sprinkled into this story about how Duke has built the depth that has allowed it to, so far, keep winning with all the injuries. From what I've been told, don't expect many of the guys who have been missing games to return vs. NCCU. It shouldn't matter in this game. The VT game is, of course, far more important.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article218749260.html

Great article as always. One amazing thing I learned as an interesting tangent is that the cornerbacks coach at Duke somehow has over 44k Twitter followers. Holy crap.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Great article as always. One amazing thing I learned as an interesting tangent is that the cornerbacks coach at Duke somehow has over 44k Twitter followers. Holy crap.

I heard that last year sometime...he's like an inspirational guru for his followers....probably helped his recruiting. People love him.

budwom
09-21-2018, 02:43 PM
If Harris did anything wrong vs. Baylor, it was to throw the ball away prematurely too many times, but that was infinitely better than forcing the throws.

Sounds like the injury Cone of Silence is fully intact for this weekend...hope to at least hear of guys like Cerenord and Carter running around, not hobbling.

Agree with Jim, I expect Harris for a half and maybe a wee bit; have to build a lead...lots of others will play, but I don't expect to see hims passing behind the third string OL
as keeping him upright is an absolutely necessity.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2018, 02:58 PM
If Harris did anything wrong vs. Baylor, it was to throw the ball away prematurely too many times, but that was infinitely better than forcing the throws.

Sounds like the injury Cone of Silence is fully intact for this weekend...hope to at least hear of guys like Cerenord and Carter running around, not hobbling.

Agree with Jim, I expect Harris for a half and maybe a wee bit; have to build a lead...lots of others will play, but I don't expect to see hims passing behind the third string OL
as keeping him upright is an absolutely necessity.

I've wondered about the QB dilemma as well.

Harris certainly needs the reps, but we also need a backup with some reps. VT brings a hell of a blitz.

English
09-21-2018, 03:25 PM
Duke 48-10 NCCU

Bob Green
09-21-2018, 06:52 PM
I missed this one this morning...Jim Sumner on injuries:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/21/17885662/next-man-up-duke-football-injuries-david-cutcliffe

These Sumner articles are pure gold!

This depth is no accident. Cutcliffe has long said that you can never have too many defensive backs and has prioritized those who can run, cover and tackle. Corners can move to safety and vice-versa. McDuffie was a corner for two seasons. DeVon Edwards moved between both spots, as have Carter, Brandon Feamster and others. Strike safety, boundary corner, if you’re good enough, Duke will find a place to use you.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2018, 10:08 PM
I will be at my son's baseball tournament - does "ACC Network" mean I can stream on the ESPN app?

Yes.

BandAlum83
09-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Yes.

Would that be the either ESPN live, Watch ESPN, or both?

sagegrouse
09-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Would that be the either ESPN live, Watch ESPN, or both?

From the N&O by Wiseman and Brooke Cain ("fair use" only, of course). This doesn't answer all my questions, but it's a start. I am hoping ESPN+ gets me there.

Here is how to access it:

First, if you’ve never done it before, you need to “authenticate” at WatchESPN.com, using the username and password for your cable or satellite provider. If you did this last year, you’re good to go.

Now you can get ready to watch.

On a computer: Go to ESPN3.com, click on the tab for either “Live” or “Upcoming” and select the game you’re looking for. The games are grouped by sport and are in chronological order.

WatchESPN app: On your smartphone, tablet or streaming device, open the WatchESPN app. From the app, you can find the game by clicking on “Sport,” then selecting “Basketball.” Click the tab for either “Live Now” or “Upcoming” and select the game you want to watch.

ESPN app: Open the app, then select the TV icon. From there, scroll through the list and select the game.

Roku, Apple TV, XBox 360, XBox One, Amazon Fire TV/Fire TV Stick, Android TV, Chromecast: Search “WatchESPN” and add that channel. Scroll to “Browse by Channel” and select “ACC Network Extra.” Select the content you want to view. You may have to activate the device with your cable or satellite username and password; it will give you instructions on the TV screen.

arnie
09-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Duke 48-10 NCCU

Gonna be real hot again. Our depth is a huge advantage. Even if we’re sluggish, should win by 35

Papa John
09-22-2018, 10:08 AM
I've wondered about the QB dilemma as well.

Harris certainly needs the reps, but we also need a backup with some reps. VT brings a hell of a blitz.

Thing is, we don’t really know how good VaTech really is yet. So far, they’ve beaten an FSU team that, after getting slobberknocked by Syracuse appears to have been horrendously overrated, and William & Mary. Plus, VaTech has Notre Dame on the schedule in Blacksburg the following week, so I’d be surprised if they don’t look ahead just a bit. I’m confident Cut will bring a solid game plan. Would love to have DJ under center, but I think we have a solid chance regardless.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-22-2018, 10:16 AM
WatchESPN app: On your smartphone, tablet or streaming device, open the WatchESPN app. From the app, you can find the game by clicking on “Sport,” then selecting “Basketball.” Click the tab for either “Live Now” or “Upcoming” and select the game you want to watch.

you might try tapping on football instead of basketball for our game!

sagegrouse
09-22-2018, 10:59 AM

you might try tapping on football instead of basketball for our game!

Yep. You can't trust the News and Observer... or Sage Grouse.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Steve Wiseman on now with Steve Logan on 99.9....very little love for Q

Reilly
09-22-2018, 12:59 PM
How many penalties? What's our focus? Natural to be a letdown.

BandAlum83
09-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Steve Wiseman on now with Steve Logan on 99.9...very little love for Q

Can you provide some detail for those of us who out of the area?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Can you provide some detail for those of us who out of the area?

Lot of focus on Q's 12 for 30 - no mention of the fact his long balls were awesome...no mention of his really productive running...no mention of his quicker first step than DJ....just 12-30 12-30 12-30...and of course he wasn't played last season when DJ was hurt, so clearly that "tells us all we need to know" kind of thing...

Mostly from Logan....and caveat, I missed the part of the show talking about Baylor. I heard the part talking about Duke going forward.....

BandAlum83
09-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Lot of focus on Q's 12 for 30 - no mention of the fact his long balls were awesome...no mention of his really productive running...no mention of his quicker first step than DJ...just 12-30 12-30 12-30...and of course he wasn't played last season when DJ was hurt, so clearly that "tells us all we need to know" kind of thing...

Mostly from Logan...and caveat, I missed the part of the show talking about Baylor. I heard the part talking about Duke going forward....

Wow, I would have expected a bit more from Mr. Wiseman,

OldPhiKap
09-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Or perhaps an outside opinion is something to consider.

Very proud of QH, and a very nice win. QB rating was in the mid-60’s IIRC.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Wow, I would have expected a bit more from Mr. Wiseman,

Hold on just a second...let me clarify my comments even further: this was mostly Logan and not Wiseman...as I stated above. Moreover, I did not hear the first part of the show when they talked about the Baylor game. Maybe Steve Wiseman talked about the deep balls and the TDs and the good running in that part of the show. I missed that segment of the show.

All I really heard Wiseman say along these lines was to not disagree with Logan at the very end of the show after Logan kind of ripped Q a bit. That could be simply a matter of not wanting to disagree with the host, who is after all a QB consultant for various NFL teams, and has been an assistant in the NFL and head coach in college and an offensive coordinator in college. Logan is kind of, well, very cocksure of his own opinions related to offense and QBs...and has a very Type AAAA personality on air. Steve W. is much more measured, and I could very well understand Wiseman not wanting to disagree with Logan on his show.

arnie
09-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Hold on just a second...let me clarify my comments even further: this was mostly Logan and not Wiseman...as I stated above. Moreover, I did not hear the first part of the show when they talked about the Baylor game. Maybe Steve Wiseman talked about the deep balls and the TDs and the good running in that part of the show. I missed that segment of the show.

All I really heard Wiseman say along these lines was to not disagree with Logan at the very end of the show after Logan kind of ripped Q a bit. That could be simply a matter of not wanting to disagree with the host, who is after all a QB consultant for various NFL teams, and has been an assistant in the NFL and head coach in college and an offensive coordinator in college. Logan is kind of, well, very cocksure of his own opinions related to offense and QBs...and has a very Type AAAA personality on air. Steve W. is much more measured, and I could very well understand Wiseman not wanting to disagree with Logan on his show.

I heard Logan’s comments yesterday (might have been with different local host). He’s convinced we’re in big trouble if Va T continually blitzes Q. Logan doesn’t think Q has the height or tools to react well under constant pressure. Logan always speaks his mind without being PC - I rather hear that kind of analysis - doesn’t mean he’s always right.

-jk
09-22-2018, 03:01 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

jimsumner
09-22-2018, 03:27 PM
Young, Harmon, Carter and Cerenord officially out.

ehdg
09-22-2018, 03:42 PM
Damn kicking. Geez another XP missed!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 03:53 PM
I heard Logan’s comments yesterday (might have been with different local host). He’s convinced we’re in big trouble if Va T continually blitzes Q. Logan doesn’t think Q has the height or tools to react well under constant pressure. Logan always speaks his mind without being PC - I rather hear that kind of analysis - doesn’t mean he’s always right.

I agree, Logan is the only one on 99.9 worth listening to anymore. I like listening to him. I just think any proper analysis of Quinn against Baylor would have to include the poor percentage - and that some passes looked lost and ugly. That is all true. But he was outstanding on the deep balls...committed no turnovers, had 80 something yards rushing...and would've had 100+ without Nelm tackling him. It's all part of the discussion. Logan was just on the 12 for 30 over and over.

ranantha1
09-22-2018, 04:29 PM
I want one of those cool orange shirts they're wearing on the sidelines. Probably pretty hard to get though...

ehdg
09-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Damn that doesn’t look good the way Rahming was hobeling off the field. Looks like an ankle issue. Hope it’s minor.

dukelifer
09-22-2018, 04:56 PM
A pretty frustrating game. Duke is really not sharp.

ehdg
09-22-2018, 05:29 PM

True could be a bit of looking ahead to Va Tech n also having to deal with recovery from the storm. Team might have been a bit do for a bit of a let down after the 2 big road wins. Hopefully they pick it up in the 2nd half n win this game without any injuries. Go Duke!

ehdg
09-22-2018, 05:44 PM
Great way to start the 2nd half! Good defense n then a huge run to the house by Britton Brown! Up 21 now. Go Duke!

TKG
09-22-2018, 06:37 PM

I keep thinking the same thing but the score leads me to believe I am just being grumpy.

Katrenick throws a nice a ball. Harris’s throws remind me of Anthony Boone; he seems to throw behind his receivers on most crossing routes

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 06:41 PM
I keep thinking the same thing but the score leads me to believe I am just being grumpy.

Katrenick throws a nice a ball. Harris’s throws remind me of Anthony Boone; he seems to throw behind his receivers on most crossing routes

Like Boone, he prefers to throw deep...his best distance

YmoBeThere
09-22-2018, 06:54 PM
How was BC ranked ahead of us?

Bay Area Duke Fan
09-22-2018, 07:09 PM

More votes from writers and coaches.

ehdg
09-22-2018, 07:12 PM

I think cause of beating FSU.

jbay201
09-22-2018, 07:15 PM
we'll be ranked after the end of this week!

i can't see VT being ranked though after getting beat by an 0-3 team that they were used to beat by 30 points.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 07:17 PM

...which BC has not done this year.

TKG
09-22-2018, 07:30 PM

BC was ranked based on wins against UMass, Holy Cross and Wake? Not exactly Murderers’ Row!

Next week they play Temple.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 07:34 PM
BC was ranked based on wins against UMass, Holy Cross and Wake? Not exactly Murderers’ Row!

they were also ranked based somewhat on pre season buzz too....with Dillon returning, and a respectable QB, and a 3-0 start....

budwom
09-22-2018, 09:35 PM
we'll be ranked after the end of this week!

i can't see VT being ranked though after getting beat by an 0-3 team that they were used to beat by 30 points.

I'm not sure that's a good thing...Duke doesn't have much margin for error at this point, and the ranking game this early in the season simply isn't very meaningful.
VT will be riled next week in the battle of the teams with wounded QBs.

DU82
09-22-2018, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure that's a good thing...Duke doesn't have much margin for error at this point, and the ranking game this early in the season simply isn't very meaningful.
VT will be riled next week in the battle of the teams with wounded QBs.

If we're going to play with the big boys, we need to not worry about things like rankings (it's a GOOD thing!) or if the other team is going to be riled up. The other team just lost to a pretty bad team. That's not a bad thing for us. I'd like for us to get a little respect from the national media.

Dukehky
09-22-2018, 09:53 PM
If we're going to play with the big boys, we need to not worry about things like rankings (it's a GOOD thing!) or if the other team is going to be riled up. The other team just lost to a pretty bad team. That's not a bad thing for us. I'd like for us to get a little respect from the national media.

The media who ever watch or follow Duke love Duke. The rest (most) are never going to take us seriously. Duke handled a team that is taking OU to the wire, beat a NW team that people thought were good, and dominated a Big 12 that has faced lots of "adversity" (barf) with the entire second string.

We need to win one of these nationally televised games in prime time really badly. We get VT, who might be jacked up, but they also won't have their starting QB, and we very well might have ours.

budwom
09-22-2018, 10:00 PM
^ yeah, let's beat VT next week and then we can talk about rankings, not getting sufficient respect, etc...(but I sure wouldn't expect to see Daniel Jones next week...)

BandAlum83
09-22-2018, 10:02 PM
The media who ever watch or follow Duke love Duke. The rest (most) are never going to take us seriously. Duke handled a team that is taking OU to the wire, beat a NW team that people thought were good, and dominated a Big 12 that has faced lots of "adversity" (barf) with the entire second string.

We need to win one of these nationally televised games in prime time really badly. We get VT, who might be jacked up, but they also won't have their starting QB, and we very well might have ours.

21-21 at end of regulation.

I wish I could see OT somehow.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 10:04 PM

That's remarkable.....this is really making Duke look good!

DU82
09-22-2018, 10:07 PM

Yea, tried to find it, couldn't on the 1,771,561 channels I get on cable.

Dukehky
09-22-2018, 10:11 PM
Yea, tried to find it, couldn't on the 1,771,561 channels I get on cable.

It was on pay per view on the armed forces channel.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2018, 10:16 PM
Army ran 86 plays....to only 40 for Oklahoma....talk about ball control....

buddy
09-22-2018, 10:19 PM
OU won in overtime, 28-21. I expect, as with VT, OU did not take their opponent seriously. After all, if they lost to DUKE, how good could they be.

BandAlum83
09-22-2018, 10:20 PM
OU won in overtime, 28-21. I expect, as with VT, OU did not take their opponent seriously. After all, if they lost to DUKE, how good could they be.

Baylor beat Kansas. Not the greatest feather in a cap, but a solid win to also help Duke look good.

Bob Green
09-22-2018, 10:38 PM
I just arrived home from the game. The team was very sloppy after jumping out to the 20-0 lead but they turned up the heat in the 2nd half with a 28-0 performance. A couple of quick observations:

1. The TD pass to Brittain Brown was a beautiful play. A traditional screen pass to a running back.
2. We have three very talented running backs in Brown, Deon Jackson and Marvin Hubbard.
3. QB Chris Katrenick throws a nice ball.

Bob Green
09-22-2018, 10:47 PM
Jim Sumner recap is posted on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/22/17891290/duke-rips-nccu-55-13-blue-devils-acc-durham

Money quote:

Harris and Brown both went out with injuries, but both say they could have returned had the necessity been there. McDuffie and defensive end Terrell Lucas got back in action after missing some time and-without naming names-Cutcliffe suggested that more of the walking wounded should be back for Virginia Tech.

PDDuke85
09-22-2018, 10:48 PM
I just arrived home from the game. The team was very sloppy after jumping out to the 20-0 lead but they turned up the heat in the 2nd half with a 28-0 performance. A couple of quick observations:

1. The TD pass to Brittain Brown was a beautiful play. A traditional screen pass to a running back.
2. We have three very talented running backs in Brown, Deon Jackson and Marvin Hubbard.
3. QB Chris Katrenick throws a nice ball.

Bob, also, Jake Bobo made a nice catch, contested, on the sidelines. Plus, he was fielding punts in the second half. I might want to see more of this kid moving forward.

duke2x
09-22-2018, 11:10 PM
I agree, Logan is the only one on 99.9 worth listening to anymore. I like listening to him. I just think any proper analysis of Quinn against Baylor would have to include the poor percentage - and that some passes looked lost and ugly. That is all true. But he was outstanding on the deep balls...committed no turnovers, had 80 something yards rushing...and would've had 100+ without Nelm tackling him. It's all part of the discussion. Logan was just on the 12 for 30 over and over.

Logan had nothing good to say about the Baylor game. He loved Daniel Jones until he got injured last year. Harris was 15/27 for 202 and 3 TD/0 INT today albeit against our worst opponent.

Cut was not happy with the middle of the 1st half at all on postgame. I was sitting inside Wally Wade thinking of calling Sherwin Williams on my cell phone to deliver some new blue paint for the 2nd half.

I'm not sure whether VT was looking ahead to Duke or hosting ND. ODU scored 49 using their backup QB. They will be mad, but it can be done.

OldPhiKap
09-22-2018, 11:19 PM
The best way to deal with a mad team coming off a loss it to demoralize them early. Come focused, go for the throat, don’t let up.

Not only can we do this — we should do this.

LGD!!!!

Sixthman
09-22-2018, 11:19 PM
Duke was the better team, in some ways were more dominant than the score indicates, and yet, in other ways were flat. Central made some nice adjustments and played with intensity. I don't think we learn much from this, but it was nice to get some game action for some guys who have not played much.

A shout out to DUMB. Central has an historically impressive band. I kid you not when I say that during the halftime performance, Duke's band played with more power, played with more musicality, and marched with more precision. These are thoughts I never thought I would have. To be fair, Central had more showmanship, better drum majors and a better percussion section, but on the whole, give this one to Duke. Amazing.

brevity
09-23-2018, 01:23 AM
Cut was not happy with the middle of the 1st half at all on postgame. I was sitting inside Wally Wade thinking of calling Sherwin Williams on my cell phone to deliver some new blue paint for the 2nd half.

Ask Sherwin Williams? Why? You had Shelden Williams being honored at the game...

budwom
09-23-2018, 07:45 AM
It was nice to see redshirt freshman center Will Taylor play...he had an injury last year which was rumored to be possibly career ending...McDuffie back was another nice thing.
Hopefully Carter and Cerenord reappear soon...

Bob Green
09-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Hopefully Carter and Cerenord reappear soon...

And Aaron Young. We need him at wide receiver. Chris Taylor has a serious case of the drops yesterday. There were several passes he should have caught. I've had the opportunity to talk to Taylor a couple of times and he is a fantastic young man but Young is a bigger, faster, stronger athlete. I highly desire to see him back on the field sooner rather than later.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 08:07 AM
And Aaron Young. We need him at wide receiver. Chris Taylor has a serious case of the drops yesterday. There were several passes he should have caught. I've had the opportunity to talk to Taylor a couple of times and he is a fantastic young man but Young is a bigger, faster, stronger athlete. I highly desire to see him back on the field sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I want to see Young on the field.....no doubt. I see in the stats that Bracey got some action....how'd he look?

Bob Green
09-23-2018, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I want to see Young on the field....no doubt. I see in the stats that Bracey got some action...how'd he look?

In my opinion, he looked good. I was sitting with Mark Newton and Devildeac, the Section 19 Bleacher Bums, and we all commented that Bracey looked better, he looked like he belongs on the field.

His development this season is critical for next season.

Bob Green
09-23-2018, 08:17 AM
Bob, also, Jake Bobo made a nice catch, contested, on the sidelines. Plus, he was fielding punts in the second half. I might want to see more of this kid moving forward.

Bobo returning punts was nice to see...a glimpse into the future.

YmoBeThere
09-23-2018, 08:37 AM

Yes, but one or two he should have signaled for the fair catch IMHO.

Papa John
09-23-2018, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure whether VT was looking ahead to Duke or hosting ND. ODU scored 49 using their backup QB. They will be mad, but it can be done.

I’m not sure it matters whether VaTech will be mad. As of now, they’ve beaten a bad FSU team, FCS sub-division Wiliam & Mary, and lost to an ODU team that entered the game 0-3 with losses to Liberty, FIU and Charlotte. VaTech just might not be as good as analysts thought. And, yes... given losses in the bottom of the top-25 this week, we should finally be (and deserve to be) ranked.

du_bb1
09-23-2018, 08:51 AM
All in all a good game-no serious injuries, lots of players got in the game-those that have not in the past-in particular 2 RBs-Carter and Wolitzer, both got carries along with linemen on both sides of the ball. Nice to see these guys- who work their butts off-get on the field. Bobo made a great catch-portent of things to come. Both O and D lines did a good job-Tangelo especially. A pleasant, albeit a bit warm, day

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 09:00 AM
I’m not sure it matters whether VaTech will be mad. As of now, they’ve beaten a bad FSU team, FCS sub-division Wiliam & Mary, and lost to an ODU team that entered the game 0-3 with losses to Liberty, FIU and Charlotte. VaTech just might not be as good as analysts thought. And, yes... given losses in the bottom of the top-25 this week, we should finally be (and deserve to be) ranked.

I agree we should be ranked this week....and expect us to be in the 20s...

As for VT - I don't think it matters if they are mad, but they will almost certainly be more focused than they would have had they beaten ODU. A shocking loss can destroy a team, or allow the coaches to get the players' attention in a manner that only a shocking loss can. I also expect Duke to be focused, having a bit of a lull in focus against NCCU, especially after the easy first 20 points.

Focus can really matter. Texas had the emotional (or focus) advantage against TCU - for maybe the second time ever. Texas could play the "underdog" card, while TCU left it all on the field against Ohio State. All these players are really good athletes...and the margin of physical superiority is not what it used to be. Anger, focus, emotional highs, can make you run a bit faster, hit a bit harder, etc, and can overcome a small physical deficiency. And look at Army...in addition to making Duke's opening win look fantastic, they wiped out what is a definite physical deficit versus Oklahoma and outplayed them, dominated the game in some way, due to, no doubt, superior focus and motivation.

I certainly don't know what will happen in Duke VT, but one thing for sure, the ODU shocker will have some kind of impact.

ramdevil
09-23-2018, 10:47 AM
One of my favorite plays yesterday was Tre Hornbuckle's solo tackle of the NCCU quarterback and another NCCU player (a lineman? running back?). Tre just wrapped them both up at the same time and took them down. I have not yet found a photo of the tackle, but it was impressive.

Go Duke - Beat Tech.

-ramdevil

Bob Green
09-23-2018, 01:01 PM
One of my favorite plays yesterday was Tre Hornbuckle's solo tackle of the NCCU quarterback and another NCCU player (a lineman? running back?). Tre just wrapped them both up at the same time and took them down. I have not yet found a photo of the tackle, but it was impressive.

Go Duke - Beat Tech.

-ramdevil

That certainly would be in the running for defensive play of the game.

On offense, how about the second play from scrimmage - the fake jet sweep got the NCCU defense moving one way while T.J. Rahming went the other way on the end around.

I really liked that play.

devildeac
09-23-2018, 02:12 PM

His diving catch going OOB for a long first down in 4Q was a thing of beauty, too. ;)

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 02:20 PM
His diving catch going OOB for a long first down in 4Q was a thing of beauty, too. ;)

I couldn't see the game, but ESPN had that as one of their thumbnail highlights....I had to re-watch it to see if it was in fact Bobo....and it was. I know it was in a rout, but seriously, I don't think we had a catch like that all last year. Had a few interceptions by the Duke DBs like that, but I don't remember a WR doing that.

devildeac
09-23-2018, 03:01 PM
I couldn't see the game, but ESPN had that as one of their thumbnail highlights...I had to re-watch it to see if it was in fact Bobo...and it was. I know it was in a rout, but seriously, I don't think we had a catch like that all last year. Had a few interceptions by the Duke DBs like that, but I don't remember a WR doing that.

Newton 14 and I discussed several plays in 4Q regarding what constituted sportsmanship and what was rubbing their noses in it. I think Cut used a lot of 4Q to get some snaps for the 2nd/3rd teams (4th team?) and "practice" a few things like 4th down plays, testing a new WR and getting a running TD for R-Sr Pierre.

ehdg
09-23-2018, 03:14 PM
...which BC has not done this year.

My bad that was Syracuse who beat FSU. Sorry brain freeze.

Jim3k
09-23-2018, 04:18 PM
... and "practice" a few things like 4th down plays, testing a new WR and getting a running TD for R-Sr Pierre.

I was afraid that Pierre's 5-year experience with the team (QB, RB) would never get recognized. Minor appearances here and there. Now, at least, he's gotten his name into the scorebook. Even so, his best play will be his degrees: BA, Sociology/business certificate and MA, liberal studies.

This guy is persevering and deserves recognition for that.

arnie
09-23-2018, 05:08 PM

BC or Syracuse, same team to me. Both are Big East teams.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 05:52 PM

....we've all been there.....:)

Indoor66
09-23-2018, 06:39 PM
...we've all been there....:)

Where?????

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 06:42 PM
Where?????

Having a brain freeze on an internet message board......

Indoor66
09-23-2018, 07:39 PM
Having a brain freeze on an internet message board...

You missed me....

devildeac
09-24-2018, 07:05 AM
Steve Wiseman with a very nice and detailed summary of the game this AM in the News and Observer:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article218745740.html

Worth a thorough read as there are a lot of Cut quotes.

ChrisP
09-24-2018, 08:23 AM

Go Duke - Beat Tech.

-ramdevil

I LOVED that play, too! As I saw it on TV, I said to my girlfriend, "That looks like something out of the the 3 Stooges!" I can just see Moe grabbing Larry and Curly around the shoulders like Hornbuckle did and boinking their heads together while muttering, "Why I oughta....." Good stuff!!! :cool: