PDA

View Full Version : ACC Football: Week 3

Avvocato
09-15-2018, 02:24 PM
I didn’t think possible, but this FSU offense is so much worse than last year’s. What is going on there? I’m sure Taggart needs time, but they look terrible. It will be interesting to see how this situation progresses.

arnie
09-15-2018, 02:33 PM
I didn’t think possible, but this FSU offense is so much worse than last year’s. What is going on there? I’m sure Taggart needs time, but they look terrible. It will be interesting to see how this situation progresses.

Demise of FSU and Nebraska programs long term? Maybe - seems more likely for Nebraska.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 02:37 PM

...coming up on 3 total points in 7 quarters vs Power 5? Astonishing.

chrishoke
09-15-2018, 02:45 PM
O Line can't block anyone.

Wander
09-15-2018, 03:32 PM
How many power 5 teams look worse than FSU and Nebraska? Maybe Arizona, UNC, and Rutgers, but I can't think of too many others. FSU and Nebraska could easily end 3-9 on the year.

MartyClark
09-15-2018, 05:51 PM
How many power 5 teams look worse than FSU and Nebraska? Maybe Arizona, UNC, and Rutgers, but I can't think of too many others. FSU and Nebraska could easily end 3-9 on the year.

I think Nebraska gets much better when their quarterback returns. He had a really good game last week against Colorado but got injured in the 4th quarter. The kid can really run and many of the old Nebraska teams were fueled by a speedy quarterback.

I'm a Colorado fan so have generally hated Nebraska for many years. If the quarterback is healthy, I look for Nebraska to do some damage in the Big 10.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 09:45 PM
Louisville losing 14-3 in the third quarter. To western Kentucky. At home.

DU82
09-15-2018, 11:02 PM
Louisville losing 14-3 in the third quarter. To western Kentucky. At home.

They’re now up 20-17, and will turn the ball over with a punt with about 20 seconds left.

chrishoke
09-15-2018, 11:07 PM
Akron beats Northwestern.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 11:09 PM

We must have crushed their spirit and exposed their exploitable weaknesses. I’ll go with that.

Looks like NU was winning 28-19 with about a minute left in the third quarter, then gave up 20 unanswered. Ouch.

chrishoke
09-15-2018, 11:21 PM
Akron returned a fumble and an interception for TDs in the last 10 minutes.

DU82
09-15-2018, 11:25 PM
We must have crushed their spirit and exposed their exploitable weaknesses. I’ll go with that.

Looks like NU was winning 28-19 with about a minute left in the third quarter, then gave up 20 unanswered. Ouch.

With Louisville squeaking by, at least no ACC team lost to a non conference team (thanks to cancellations.)

The B1G has already lost 6 games, NU would be 7, and Ohio State is still in a battle with TCU (up 12 with Frogs driving and 10 minutes left.)

chrishoke
09-15-2018, 11:26 PM

Ooops - not over yet - NW scores on a 4th and 10 pass with 2.24 to go - 39-34.

chrishoke
09-15-2018, 11:31 PM
Ooops - not over yet - NW scores on a 4th and 10 pass with 2.24 to go - 39-34.

39-34 final.

DU82
09-15-2018, 11:33 PM
39-34 final.

Bizarre call by Akron on 4th and forever on their 30 with 7seconds left. Instead of a punt, the QB runs a couple of seconds off then throws downfield out of bounds. Left two seconds on the clock, so NU had a much easier Hail Mary pass. Didn’t make it, but seemed a dumb play by Akron.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Some of these crazy results really speak to how college football is shifting. There is no bigger shift than in Florida, where it's highly possible that the best team in the state is neither FSU, Florida or Miami......it could be UCF. Meanwhile S Florida and even FIU and Florida Atlantic are growing.

It's all about Demographics....FSU is in the part of Florida that is really South Georgia culturally. Miami is a small school in a big big town where getting attention is difficult. Florida is in nondescript Gainsville. UCF is in growing Orlando, and their student body and non alum fan following is growing. Ditto the others all around Miami now.

Meanwhile it seems being in the middle of nowhere is hurting Nebraska and Notre Dame in their bid to rejoin the elites. A lot of other examples of how CFB is following other demographic trends.....fascinating.

budwom
09-16-2018, 08:37 AM
Nebraska paid Troy over a million bucks to come beat them in Lincoln. That there is some Husker Hospitality.
Disastrous day for the Big 10 Whatever...NW humiliated, Merlin creamed by Temple, mighty Wisco went down to BYU, Kansas crushed rutgers, SF beat hapless Illinois, Purdue lost to Missouri..

OldPhiKap
09-16-2018, 08:43 AM
Some of these crazy results really speak to how college football is shifting. There is no bigger shift than in Florida, where it's highly possible that the best team in the state is neither FSU, Florida or Miami...it could be UCF. Meanwhile S Florida and even FIU and Florida Atlantic are growing.

It's all about Demographics...FSU is in the part of Florida that is really South Georgia culturally. Miami is a small school in a big big town where getting attention is difficult. Florida is in nondescript Gainsville. UCF is in growing Orlando, and their student body and non alum fan following is growing. Ditto the others all around Miami now.

Meanwhile it seems being in the middle of nowhere is hurting Nebraska and Notre Dame in their bid to rejoin the elites. A lot of other examples of how CFB is following other demographic trends....fascinating.

As much as I hate it, UCF May have the best coach too. Richt perhaps equal.

sagegrouse
09-16-2018, 11:59 AM
As much as I hate it, UCF May have the best coach too. Richt perhaps equal.

Isn't the head coach at UCF brand new, never having served as a head coach at any level? Of course, he has a perfect record (2-0).;)

HereBeforeCoachK
09-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Isn't the head coach at UCF brand new, never having served as a head coach at any level? Of course, he has a perfect record (2-0).;)

Yep, Josh Heupel....former OC at Oklahoma (fired) and Missouri (did amazing job)....

OldPhiKap
09-16-2018, 01:03 PM

Yep, Josh Heupel...former OC at Oklahoma (fired) and Missouri (did amazing job)...

Sorry, thinking of FAU.

Still, whoever it is has to be better than what UF and FSU has right now. Yikes.

Stray Gator
09-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Sorry, thinking of FAU.

Still, whoever it is has to be better than what UF and FSU has right now. Yikes.

This Gator, and many others among my friends, are quite happy with our new head coach, Dan Mullen, and certainly wouldn't trade him for any other head coach in Florida. Based on his record as offensive coordinator at Florida and as head coach at Mississippi State, we're confident that he can and will restore Gator football to the level of excellence it enjoyed before Will Muschamp and Jim McElwane wrecked the program. While we recognize that such a massive reconstruction project will require at least a few years and several recruiting classes, there is already encouraging evidence of improvement, notwithstanding the loss to Kentucky last week.

I wouldn't presume to speak for FSU fans . . . but I wouldn't want to be one, either. :D

sagegrouse
09-16-2018, 01:44 PM
This Gator, and many others among my friends, are quite happy with our new head coach, Dan Mullen, and certainly wouldn't trade him for any other head coach in Florida. Based on his record as offensive coordinator at Florida and as head coach at Mississippi State, we're confident that he can and will restore Gator football to the level of excellence it enjoyed before Will Muschamp and Jim McElwane wrecked the program. While we recognize that such a massive reconstruction project will require at least a few years and several recruiting classes, there is already encouraging evidence of improvement, notwithstanding the loss to Kentucky last week.

I wouldn't presume to speak for FSU fans . . . but I wouldn't want to be one, either. :D

A mature and patient response, as befitting someone who roots for Duke in football.

arnie
09-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Duke 27th in vote totals - coaches poll

wilson
09-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Duke 27th in vote totals - coaches poll28th in AP.
https://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

PackMan97
09-16-2018, 03:37 PM
What a great college football weekend! NC State didn't lose and UNC-CHeat didn't win!

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2018, 03:40 PM
and UNC-CHeat didn't win!

Yeah, but I was looking forward to their trouncing.

PackMan97
09-16-2018, 04:01 PM
Yeah, but I was looking forward to their trouncing.

As a true hater, I don't really care any they didn't win...only that they did not win.

BigWayne
09-16-2018, 09:25 PM
These ratings are bogus - explain how the cheats are 4 spots ahead of Pitt??

Computer generated ratings are always flaky early in the year. For football, they get only mildly better by the end of the season because the number of games played and the amount of intermixing between conferences and levels is not really enough for the statistics to work. Basketball is entirely different and more meaningful when it comes to computer ratings.

Anyway, the ESPN FPI is worse than average for computer ratings, especially the way it uses home field advantage for future games.

Sagarin does have Duke at #22 right now in his predictor category, which is the one he says is the most accurate historically.

He has the ACC split into distinct groups the way his numbers pan out.

Clear leader - Clemson

Best of the rest - State, BC, Duke, Miami, VT

Middle of the pack - Syr, Louisville, Wake, GT, UVA, FSU

Bottom dwellers - Cheats and Pitt

By his numbers, teams should win close games at home playing a team inside a group and should win regardless of location against teams in lower tiers. By that math, it actually agrees with the ESPN FPI and has Duke going 10-2, which would be a fantastic result. Need to stay healthy and keep showing up ready to play.

Reilly
09-16-2018, 09:55 PM
Computer generated ratings are always flaky early in the year ...

Alabama #1 ... Duke #3 ... UNC #127 ... seems pretty accurate to me: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-ratings.html

OldPhiKap
09-16-2018, 10:05 PM
Alabama #1 ... Duke #3 ... UNC #127 ... seems pretty accurate to me: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-ratings.html

Who am I to argue with science?

camion
09-16-2018, 10:22 PM

Let’s see, there are lies, damned lies and... what was that third thing again?

But this looks okay.

CameronBlue
09-16-2018, 10:23 PM
Who am I to argue with science?

Kyrie? (Just kidding we love ya Unc Drew. Only time I can type "Unc" and not retch.)

OldPhiKap
09-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Kyrie? (Just kidding we love ya Unc Drew. Only time I can type "Unc" and not retch.)

“You must spread some Comments around before commenting on CameronBlue again.”

Billy Dat
09-17-2018, 11:56 AM
We make the First Quarter of Pat Forde's "Forde Yard Dash" as one of "6 teams that could shake up the College Football Playoff picture"

https://sports.yahoo.com/3497433-030254857.html

JasonEvans
09-17-2018, 01:52 PM
If y'all like statistical/computer models, you should check out the Massey Composite. (https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm) He looks at dozens of computer rankings and comes up with an average.

With 49 different computer models taken into account, Duke is #13 in the latest rankings. Two of the computers have Duke as the #1 team in the land.

-Jason "can we just go ahead and re-name the stadium for Cut right now?" Evans