PDA

View Full Version : Davidson 91 - Guilford 61

camion
09-14-2018, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure where a thread like this belongs, but:

Davidson won 91-61 and This... was... a... FOOTBALL... game.

A link. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24669147/davidson-wildcats-beat-guilford-quakers-91-61)

Here are some key statistics in Davidson's amazing win:

Davidson set NCAA records for total yards (964) and rushing yards (685) in a game.

Davidson set program records for points (57) and yards (524) in a half while building a 57-26 lead at intermission.

The Wildcats averaged 15.5 yards per play.

Eight of the Wildcats' program-record 13 touchdowns went for at least 50 yards, and another one went for 40 yards.

Led by sophomore Tyler Phelps, Davidson's three quarterbacks were 8-of-8 on pass attempts for 279 yards and three touchdowns.

Five Davidson rushers had at least 80 yards and a touchdown, led by sophomore Wesley Dugger (14 carries, 186 yards, three touchdowns) and freshman Coy Williams (12-168-2).

Senior Corey Coppola blocked three kicks for the Wildcats.

Add in Guilford's 698 yards, and the two teams combined for 1,662 yards.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Add in Guilford's 698 yards, and the two teams combined for 1,662 yards.

I thought only Duke versus Texas A&M could have nearly 700 yards and lose!!!!

BigWayne
09-14-2018, 06:23 PM
I had seen this earlier from a facebook mention. There's a sbnation post (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/9/14/17858866/davidson-guilford-ncaa-points-record-2018) on it that goes into the total lack of apparent defense from Guilford. I could only find video posted by Davidson which shows all their good plays. As bad as the Guilford defense and special teams look in the Davidson highlights, it makes you wonder how they put up 61 points on offense.

DukieInBrasil
09-14-2018, 06:42 PM
Quakers!!!! i went to Guilford as an undergrad! While all the points sound amazing, GuilCo is DIII school while Davidson is DI. It's like Duke basketball fans getting excited about beating Randolph-Macon.
Best part about Guilford Athletics? The cheer!
"Fight! Fight! Inner Light! Kill, Quakers Kill!!!"
:cool::rolleyes::D:D

CameronBlue
09-14-2018, 08:13 PM
Quakers!!!! i went to Guilford as an undergrad! While all the points sound amazing, GuilCo is DIII school while Davidson is DI. It's like Duke basketball fans getting excited about beating Randolph-Macon.
Best part about Guilford Athletics? The cheer!
"Fight! Fight! Inner Light! Kill, Quakers Kill!!!"
:cool::rolleyes::D:D

Dated a girl from Guilford, Quaker girls, whoa. Guilford has an interesting relationship with the Duke family. The story goes that had Guilford dropped their Quaker affiliation the Duke family would have bequeathed their large endowment to Guilford. But when Guilford resisted the Duke family approached Trinity College instead.

Don't believe it. There is, however, a hall on Guilford's campus named after Mary Biddle Duke, granddaughter of Washington Duke, daughter of B.N Duke. Guilford merely honored Mary Biddle Duke for a contribution to the school from the foundation that bears her name, founded in 1956.

BigWayne
09-14-2018, 09:11 PM
Dated a girl from Guilford, Quaker girls, whoa. Guilford has an interesting relationship with the Duke family. The story goes that had Guilford dropped their Quaker affiliation the Duke family would have bequeathed their large endowment to Guilford. But when Guilford resisted the Duke family approached Trinity College instead.

Don't believe it. There is, however, a hall on Guilford's campus named after Mary Biddle Duke, granddaughter of Washington Duke, daughter of B.N Duke. Guilford merely honored Mary Biddle Duke for a contribution to the school from the foundation that bears her name, founded in 1956.

Interesting. Made me do a search and found this story has a muddy history. (https://www.guilfordian.com/archives/2006/10/27/history-of-duke-memorial-hall-clarified/)

sagegrouse
09-14-2018, 09:38 PM

It seems like this story has been told about every private college in the nation: Wofford, Guilford, even Princeton. Usually involves, "refused to change our name to Duke."

The Dukes were from Durham. In 1892, Washington Duke engineered (and paid for) the move of Trinity College from rural Randolph County to Durham, where a campus was built on the grounds of what had been a race track. The East Duke and West Duke buildings are examples of Washington Duke's generosity. Washington Duke's son, James B. Duke, paid for the construction of a new library -- the East Campus library. All of this was before Duke University was created.

William Preston Few was the President of Trinity College in 1910 and served as president of Trinity and Duke for 30 years. He had the vision for a national university, and he worked closely with James B. Duke in the creation of the Duke Endowment and the funds for building Duke University. Duke was created in 1924.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Dated a girl from Guilford

Small sample size, but given the OP I bet you scored.

(Sorry, cheap but obvious retort. I am sure it was not deserved.)

devildeac
09-14-2018, 09:54 PM

Tweet!

Personal foul. 15 yard penalty and loss of beer.

:p

Tripping William
09-14-2018, 09:57 PM

The awkward “spread around” nomenclature unfortunately applies here.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 10:06 PM
Tweet!

Personal foul. 15 yard penalty and loss of beer.

:p

Tried to send “Miller Lite and Zima on the porch for you” message, but it sent before I finished or corrected.

The awkward “spread around” nomenclature unfortunately applies here.

Tried to send “thought that counts” Sporkz but ran into the same problem.

devildeac
09-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Tried to send “Miller Lite and Zima on the porch for you” message, but it sent before I finished or corrected.

Tried to send “thought that counts” Sporkz but ran into the same problem.

LOL. Had to translate/research your actual comment. :eek:

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 10:17 PM
LOL. Had to translate/research your actual comment. :eek:

Single Malt is the Rosetta Stone of my life.

FerryFor50
09-15-2018, 09:51 AM
While it’s impressive that Davidson scored 91, everyone seems to be ignoring the fact they they *allowed 61 points.*”

Crazy game.

DevilHorse
09-15-2018, 09:55 AM
It seems like this story has been told about every private college in the nation: Wofford, Guilford, even Princeton. Usually involves, "refused to change our name to Duke."

where a campus was built on the grounds of what had been a race track.

They didn't happen to say what kind of race track did they? There were some trotters around in Pinehurst.

Larry
DevilHorse

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 10:06 AM
While it’s impressive that Davidson scored 91, everyone seems to be ignoring the fact they they *allowed 61 points.*”

Crazy game.

And Guilford scored 61 points exactly for the second week in a row......they won the other game

CameronBlue
09-15-2018, 10:50 AM

Very little defense was in evidence. But being it was a few years ago, events in the rear view mirror may be less vainglorious than I remember.

budwom
09-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Very little defense was in evidence. But being it was a few years ago, events in the rear view mirror may be less vainglorious than I remember.

Sounds like Steve Spurrier at work. Take a look at your guys, put all the best ones on offense, leave the dregs for the defensive coordinator to figure out.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 11:48 AM

But when the whistle blows, play stops immediately.

camion
09-15-2018, 12:52 PM

Wait a minute there. Davidson's extra point defense was stellar. I believe they blocked three. And they blocked a punt.*

*Yes, there was at least one punt in the game.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Sounds like Steve Spurrier at work. Take a look at your guys, put all the best ones on offense, leave the dregs for the defensive coordinator to figure out.

I"ll say this about Spurrier....he realized the way he could build up Duke was by having a "first team to 50" kind of team.
AND he had success with it at Florida.

Then he coached South Carolina totally differently than the way he coached Duke. His coaching highlights, IMO, are his years at Duke as OC and then HC. He was ahead of his time on offense.