PDA

View Full Version : First visit

UKDukeFan
09-14-2018, 03:06 PM
I've been an avid reader of DBR and a huge Duke MBB fan from the UK for a number of years and booked flights early to Durham in anticipation of watching a game at Cameron with my wife for my 50th birthday. I was dismayed when the ACC schedule was released to see that in our week there, Duke play at both Virginia and Louisville and then play at home against NC state as we fly back (I'm a teacher so have to return to work on the Monday)! So, I have bit the bullet and purchased flights and tickets for the game in Louisville to watch my first ever game, such is my desire to maximise our time in the US.

Can I ask as a Duke fan and a first time couple in Durham what you guys would suggest would be 'musts' e.g. to visit, to eat and to experience?

We are staying at the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club from 2/9 to 2/16 so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 03:08 PM
I've been an avid reader of DBR and a huge Duke MBB fan from the UK for a number of years and booked flights early to Durham in anticipation of watching a game at Cameron with my wife for my 50th birthday. I was dismayed when the ACC schedule was released to see that in our week there, Duke play at both Virginia and Louisville and then play at home against NC state as we fly back (I'm a teacher so have to return to work on the Monday)! So, I have bit the bullet and purchased flights and tickets for the game in Louisville to watch my first ever game, such is my desire to maximise our time in the US.

Can I ask as a Duke fan and a first time couple in Durham what you guys would suggest would be 'musts' e.g. to visit, to eat and to experience?

We are staying at the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club from 2/9 to 2/16 so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

First of all, great to hear from you and hope you have a great stay! The Washington Duke is a great selection.

Also, in advance, please ignore the posters who see "UK . . ." and immediately think of the University of Kentucky, not our great ally the United Kingdom. One we like, respect and admire; the other is in Kentucky.

mattman91
09-14-2018, 03:45 PM

I'm not a Durhamite, but I would recommend Dame's Chicken and Waffles and Fullsteam Brewery.

Hope you have a great trip!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2018, 03:51 PM
Somehow, some way, and for some reason, Durham has become foodie central - probably surpassing Raleigh and Charlotte for eateries.....many good choices, especially in the revitalized areas near town.

Meanwhile, my daughter and her husband are in the UK for two weeks....thus we are house/pet sitting for them in Raleigh...convenient since our town is flooded.

75Crazie
09-14-2018, 03:59 PM
I usually recommend a walking tour of the Sarah P. Duke Gardens (at the other end of the main campus from the Washington Duke Inn) to first time visitors. However, a garden tour might be less of a novelty to a UK resident. Nevertheless, I submit the suggestion for consideration.

mattman91
09-14-2018, 04:21 PM
Sucks you won't be able to catch a game. Not sure if this is still the case but they used to leave the doors to Cameron unlocked. As long as there was no events or practices going on you could just walk on in.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-14-2018, 04:29 PM

I’m a foodie so forgive my focus on... food. IMO, “musts” in Durham include:

M Sushi - perhaps the best sushi I’ve ever eaten, no kidding ($$$$)
M Kokko - small adjoining restaurant, crowded b/c they serve THE BEST chicken wings you’ll ever eat ($$)
Rue Cler - I slightly prefer it over Vin Rouge but both are excellent ($$/$$$)
Taberna Tapas - I much prefer over the very crowded and over-rated Mateo ($$/$$$)
Gonza Tacos - mmm, mmm ($)
NanaSteak - pretty amazing steakhouse ($$$$)
The Parlour - for ice cream and to experience the main downtown square
Alley Twenty-Six - excellent spot for drinks, across the street from M Sushi
Durham Hotel rooftop - don’t expect great drinks or service but the view is cool
Elmo’s Diner - a Durham staple, for breakfast, very crowded on weekends ($)
Dames Chicken & Waffles - ditto
LocoPops - unique local frozen treats, LOVE the Mexican chocolate pop

Wow, I’m hungry!

Tooold
09-14-2018, 04:32 PM
I like Mateo's Tapas Bar for dinner...very interesting variety of food. And I like Monuts for breakfast...if there is a line, walk around it to sit at the counter. Fullsteam is great, but I also like Motorco across the street...casual food and great beers. There are so many great restaurants in Durham.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Chips here are crisps, not fried potato sticks.

Oh, and it's hard to find malt vinegar for what you know as chips.

(And if you ask someone whether they would like bangers and mash, they may think you're making a pass at them).

Two cultures, separated by a common language . . . .

CrazyNotCrazie
09-14-2018, 04:39 PM
I just checked and the women's schedule isn't out yet, but you should keep an eye on it. Hopefully they will have a home game during your stay and you can go to that. It isn't the sold out Cameron Crazies like a men's game but it is still a lot of fun and you get to see a game in Cameron.

As far as food goes, make sure to have some NC BBQ. There are lots of threads here debating the merits of different places. I'm personally partial to Bullocks - some love it, some hate it.

Enjoy your trip!

BLPOG
09-14-2018, 04:43 PM

Since you'll already be at the Washington Duke, go to its Fairview Dining Room and order the shrimp & bacon chowder, the salmon, and a Red Oak.

This general topic comes up a fair amount. There is a search feature on the forum, but unless you know what you're looking for it isn't always the most useful. So to help you along, consider perusing the following non-comprehensive list of past threads (the topics are not exclusive to your question but are all of the "first time in Durham"/"first game in Cameron"/"where to watch in Durham"/"where to eat in Durham" variety):

First Duke Basketball Game (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24363-First-Duke-Basketball-Game) (02-15-2011)

First time Cameron Indoor (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?18762-First-time-Cameron-Indoor) (01-06-2010)

My First Duke Game Ever (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37359-My-First-Duke-Game-Ever) (02-08-2016)

Watching (away) games in Durham (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23086-Watching-(away)-games-in-Durham) (11-17-2010)

First trip to Durham (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21728-First-trip-to-Durham) (07-10-2010)

Visiting Cameron (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?34029-Visiting-Cameron) (07-17-2014)

Another Durham Question (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21024-Another-Durham-Question) (04-19-2010)

Coming to Durham for 1st time! Suggestions? (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38816-Coming-to-Durham-for-1st-time!-Suggestions) (11-16-2016)

My first trip to Cameron, and... (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?29914-My-first-trip-to-Cameron-and) (12-12-2012)

Duke visit (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36272-Duke-visit) (07-29-2015)

1st Time to Cameron This Saturday!!!! (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?13674-1st-Time-to-Cameron-This-Saturday!!!!) (01-12-2009)

DBR's favorite restaurants (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30095-DBR-s-favorite-restaurants) (01-03-2013)

First Duke Basketball game for my 12 yr old son and I - 10/26 - where to eat? (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?31867-First-Duke-Basketball-game-for-my-12-yr-old-son-and-I-10-26-where-to-eat) (09-17-2013)

Attending First Duke Game at Cameron (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37188-Attending-First-Duke-Game-at-Cameron) (01-10-2016)

Durham BBQ and Breakfast (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?18943-Durham-BBQ-and-Breakfast) (01-16-2010)

Cameron Bound! (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23360-Cameron-Bound!) (12-05-2010)

I included thread start-dates because a lot has changed in the last 5 years, but some of the older threads have had recent responses and a lot of the older advice holds.

peloton
09-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Welcome to DBR. I'm a lifelong Duke fan (both parents attended Duke and my siblings and I all grew up Duke fans). As we speak, my wife and I who live only about 30 mins from Durham/Duke, are in Eastbourne, England for our British niece's wedding tomorrow (Saturday). We were initially in Dublin for a few days before flying into Gatwick/England. If you're anywhere near Eastbourne and would like to get together to talk some Duke basketball over a pint or two, send me a private email message via DBR. Cheers.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Likewise, I will be in the Liverpool/Manchester area in mid-April and happy to discuss what a great trip you had!

CameronBlue
09-14-2018, 07:52 PM
Since you'll already be at the Washington Duke, go to its Fairview Dining Room and order the shrimp & bacon chowder, the salmon, and a Red Oak.

An excellent suggestion, just keep in mind that Fairview's menu is also available in the Bull Durham Bar just off the lobby, but you have to ask for it. The bar is a great place to take in a game.

uh_no
09-14-2018, 09:09 PM

M Kokko - small adjoining restaurant, crowded b/c they serve THE BEST chicken wings you’ll ever eat ($$)
Taberna Tapas - I much prefer over the very crowded and over-rated Mateo ($$/$$$)
Durham Hotel rooftop - don’t expect great drinks or service but the view is cool

Wow, I’m hungry!

don't forget bull city burger, and pizzaria toro

Also m kokko aren't even the best wings in durham #heavenlybuffaloes

BLPOG
09-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Another suggestion: go visit the Duke Lemur Center. There literally isn't anywhere else like in the world, the tour isn't particularly time-consuming, and I think the ticket price is $6.

If you like art, there is also the Nasher Museum of Art on campus.

I also recommend eating at the Waffle House in order to gain a deeper understanding of certain segments of American culture, and because it's dirt cheap and delicious (go to the one on Hillsborough Road; the new one on Ninth Street is too clean for a first experience).

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 10:11 PM
I also recommend eating at the Waffle House in order to gain a deeper understanding of certain segments of American culture, and because it's dirt cheap and delicious (go to the one on Hillsborough Road; the new one on Ninth Street is too clean for a first experience).

Just like a traditional English breakfast without the sausage, beans, grilled tomato, mushrooms, or good bread. Or drinkable tea.

Big warning: American tea is often pedestrian at best unless you go somewhere a bit more upscale. Our coffee is usually much better.

For breakfast, find some proper Southern buiscuits. By that I do not mean what y’all call biscuits (which we call “cookies”) but a buttermilk breakfast buiscuit. Like a scone, but fluffier and butterier (if that is a word).

pfrduke
09-14-2018, 10:51 PM

Wow, I’m hungry!

It’s amazing to me to read this list. I graduated in 2003 (and haven’t been back since homecoming the fall after I graduated) and aside from Elmo’s (and Vin Rouge, which was maybe a year or two old at the time) I dont’ think a single place on that list existed when I was in school. The thought that Durham would be a major foodie destination is not consistent with my recollection of what town was like 15 years ago. In short, I feel old.

75Crazie
09-14-2018, 11:04 PM
Big warning: American tea is often pedestrian at best unless you go somewhere a bit more upscale. Our coffee is usually much better.
I don't think the OP indicated if he had ever been to the US before. If you haven't, be warned … Americans in general, and Southerners in particular, love a cold drink called "iced tea"; it is available with any meal, including breakfast. In the South, it usually comes highly (to my taste, much too highly) sweetened. The one British expatriate I met during my time in Durham considered the whole concept of "iced tea" an abomination. So, if you are not familiar with this … by all means, give it a try, you might actually find it tolerable … but if you do try it, you might want to order your first one "un-sweetened". I do believe that sweet iced tea is an acquired taste, particularly to the extent which most Southern restaurants sweeten it.

BLPOG
09-15-2018, 12:00 AM
I don't think the OP indicated if he had ever been to the US before. If you haven't, be warned … Americans in general, and Southerners in particular, love a cold drink called "iced tea"; it is available with any meal, including breakfast. In the South, it usually comes highly (to my taste, much too highly) sweetened. The one British expatriate I met during my time in Durham considered the whole concept of "iced tea" an abomination. So, if you are not familiar with this … by all means, give it a try, you might actually find it tolerable … but if you do try it, you might want to order your first one "un-sweetened". I do believe that sweet iced tea is an acquired taste, particularly to the extent which most Southern restaurants sweeten it.

For many years, the Bryan Center McDonald's offered a 50-piece chicken nugget meal (for a long time in a bucket, but later in several smaller containers) for something like $11. I'd guess they still do. Many students didn't realize that it came with a gallon of sweet tea. I suspect that was because so few students wanted it that the folks at the McDonald's didn't even bother bringing it out to the counter most of the time. Perhaps it was that when a student was drunk enough to order the nug' buck', he just didn't have sweet tea on the mind.

The only time I drink sweet tea is when someone else has bought a lot of Bojangles' and it's the only drink around. I have loved Southern food my entire life, but I am not a fan of sweet tea.

Neals384
09-15-2018, 12:15 AM
Another suggestion: go visit the Duke Lemur Center. There literally isn't anywhere else like in the world, the tour isn't particularly time-consuming, and I think the ticket price is $6.

If you like art, there is also the Nasher Museum of Art on campus.

Second the Lemur Center. Outstanding, if you have any interest in animals and the natural world. Advance reservations are required; book well in advance. https://lemur.duke.edu/

Furniture
09-15-2018, 01:02 AM

Seriously.. Since you have flown all the way from the UK IMHO you need to get online as soon as you can and buy tickets for the Virginia game. I am surprised no one has said this to you. It’s only 3hours drive away...it’s nothing for someone who has come all the way from the UK.

I understand......Being from the UK myself and from Birmingham I know we aren’t used to driving long distance but 180 miles is a walk in the park in US miles. It’s a piece of cake. The game is at 6.00 pm. No problem leaving at midday or so. Watch the game and back in Bull City at about midnight.....worst case just don’t stay in Durham that night.

You will have a great time too, I am sure Virginia fans will be very hospitable to a British Duke fan. Honestly after being accustomed to go to away soccer games in the UK and being afraid to show any home colors vs. going anywhere in the US is crazy safe...

UKDukeFan
09-15-2018, 03:11 AM
I'm grateful to everyone who has responded to my questions. There are definitely some food and sight seeing places mentioned that I'd like my wife and I to visit during our week to get to know Durham and its community. I would really like to try and have a campus guided tour so will look into that and will attempt to get into Cameron if there is a women's game scheduled. At least we will see the team in Louisville as the Virginia game is cutting it too fine in terms of our arrival time in US.

To explain about my love of the US and Duke basketball...

I spent my University years coaching soccer in the US every summer for a British soccer company so have travelled a lot in the US, mostly East coast, Mid West and down South as far as Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Loved the sporting culture and people were so friendly in hosting me in their homes in the weeks I stayed each summer. I also made some good friends in my time in the US (one particular family in Evansville, Indiana were wonderful).

When I began my PE teaching career my early years was in a High school in East London where there was a big passion for basketball and although really a soccer player and fan, I fell in love with Basketball. Indeed one of the school teams were regular county (you call state) and eventually national champions which meant they played at a high standard, for the UK at least! I wanted to learn more about coaching for my own teams so was pointed towards videos that coincidentally were Coach K and Duke. I still have those videos and have added many books and DVDs which are mostly Coach K but with a sprinkling of High School coaches e.g. Morgan Wootten and Bob Hurley Senior. I've also subscribed to ESPN and equivalent media outlets since the late 1990s and watched most of the games when Duke are televised which do impact on my sleep from time to time.

As you can gather...I'm hooked! My wife suggested I finally do something on my bucket list and visit Durham and Duke for my 50th next year. I am restricted by school holiday times so had to book the time that we did in February and as I said I was dismayed to see that we won't be able to see a MBB game in Cameron during our stay. At least though, the Louisville trip means we can watch the team and if I'm being honest we are going to watch other games around the triangle whilst in Durham to maximise our basketabll experience. I'm trying to perhaps watch Davidson on 2/15 as I specifically remember the game in Cameron years ago when Steph Curry went head to head with Gerald Henderson and Coach Mckillop is well respected coach.

A couple of side notes..I'd like wear our Duke gear to the Louisville game and, as a poster has suggested this is safe? In the UK you'd never attend an away soccer game wearing colours without putting yourself at risk so finding this refreshing. Also, I've read DBR for as long as I can remember and have always found it fair, well written and absent from the hysterical, biased nonsense you normally get in the UK, particularly with soccer.

Thanks again everyone.

brickey
09-15-2018, 03:14 AM
After reading everything upthread, I have some additional thoughts —longings really— and a few new suggestions for our UK friend:

The majority of our team regularly frequented the WaHo on Hillsiboro a score or so ago, and a fair number of them did within the last decade. For good reason. Last month when I traveled back to Durham for the first time in a year, my first stop from RDU was at Rise for the nearest good (but far from the best) biscuit I could find. Two hours later I found myself at WaHo, basking in memory of eating a bacon, egg and cheese with pickles double plate (“extra crispy”) at the counter next to Seth Curry, wondering if he remembers. He doesn’t.

For those contemplating how Durham became the dark star of the food universe, read up on Karen and Ben Barker. RIP Magnolia Grill.

A disciple of Karen’s turned her mastery of pies into mastery of many other things at Scratch. As best I can recall from a few years ago, not everything they served was incredible, but everything with a crust certainly was. (I’m not sure why I dropped an “IIRC” there. Have pie baking skills ever waned with age?)

Rue Cler over Vin Rouge without question. Definitely go to Heavenly Buffaloes to kick off your Ninth street experience. Walk into Elmo’s to get a feel for the place, but it isn’t worth a wait. Best part of Elmo’s for me was always listening to a few great albums at Poindexter’s after. RIP.

Mateo makes a mean Pepino (G&T with salted cucumbers) and even better pan con tomate. I think their bread is from Loaf, which beats all but a few bakeries here in the Bay Area.

One of the best burgers I’ve ever had was in the Durham Hotel. Andrea knows what she’s doing. Buy a drink and burger downstairs (drinks and service are far better down there), and escort them up the elevator for the view.

There’s a lot of great things to do outside of eating in Durham — the course at WaDuke is quite nice, Duke Forrest (off Whitfield Rd moreso than around WaDuke or off Cornwallis) is a beautiful place for exercise or fresh air, the Lemur Center is cool for adults and kids, any good show at the Carolina Theater or Motorco will be fondly remembered— but it’s worth indulging in the various cuisines while you’re there. Durham Farmer’s Market on Saturday’s is definitely worth visiting too.

And Furniture’s suggestion is a great one. The drive to Hooville is easy and quite scenic at times —take the two-laned route by Wintergrean instead of the divided highway— plus most of their campus provides a beautiful setting for celebrating victory on the road.

BLPOG
09-15-2018, 03:59 AM
A couple of side notes..I'd like wear our Duke gear to the Louisville game and, as a poster has suggested this is safe? In the UK you'd never attend an away soccer game wearing colours without putting yourself at risk so finding this refreshing. Also, I've read DBR for as long as I can remember and have always found it fair, well written and absent from the hysterical, biased nonsense you normally get in the UK, particularly with soccer.

You can wear Duke gear to a Louisville game, but you might experience some verbal abuse. I've worn Duke gear in Louisville without issue (though not to a game). Kentucky is not a great state to wear Duke gear, but the real animosity comes from Wildcayut fans. Just stay away from people missing large numbers of teeth.

It's a shame you can't make the Virginia game - in my experience, University of Virginia fans are the single most gracious, welcoming, and good-sportsmanship-embodying fan-base I've encountered. That said, Louisville is probably more interesting than Charlottesville. Check out Churchill Downs and a distillery.

AustinDevil
09-15-2018, 04:59 AM
One of the best burgers I’ve ever had was in the Durham Hotel. Andrea knows what she’s doing. Buy a drink and burger downstairs (drinks and service are far better down there), and escort them up the elevator for the view.

Chiming in just to say that I wouldn’t automatically just book the Washington Duke. The Durham Hotel and other places now in downtown will feel a lot more like the recently redeveloped areas of East London, and personally I’d rather be walking distance from all the restaurants and bars of downtown and do my driving/Ubering to campus during the day. It’s very easy online to get a feel for whether the WaDuke’s traditional feel or the hipper vibe downtown is for you, of course.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Chiming in just to say that I wouldn’t automatically just book the Washington Duke. The Durham Hotel and other places now in downtown will feel a lot more like the recently redeveloped areas of East London, and personally I’d rather be walking distance from all the restaurants and bars of downtown and do my driving/Ubering to campus during the day. It’s very easy online to get a feel for whether the WaDuke’s traditional feel or the hipper vibe downtown is for you, of course.
Agreed. The 21c Museum Hotel is also a cool downtown Durham choice.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 07:55 AM
great story UK, enjoy!

Oddly enough, I will be in Liverpool/Manchester in part because I love EPL soccer.

“You’ll never walk alone . . . “

(Watching the Hotspurs hosting the Reds as I type. I love Jürgen Klopp; entertained with José Mourinho when they lose).

sagegrouse
09-15-2018, 09:21 AM

Nothing wrong with the Wash Duke, and, even in February, there may be an opportunity to have a round of golf. The J.B. Duke across the street is also nice. Selected food forays into Durham and a visit to Chapel Hill are easy to arrange.

While Durham is a far cry from where it was 30 years ago, its attractions are scattered and the downtown area is just OK, compared to other urban scenes. Your emphasis, UKDukeFan, should be on and around the Duke campus. Try to get a good tour, and don't forget East Campus, the original home of Trinity College when it moved from rural Randolph County to Durham.

Of course, I also misread your signature, but in a novel way. I thought that esteemed poster "NSDukeFan" was making a foray down from Nova Scotia. Your post was confusing because you mentioned being a teacher, and I thought you (NSDuke etc.) were a pharmacist.

Anyway, welcome to Duke. I assume you have made a number of trips across the pond, and you will know what you want to see.

devildeac
09-15-2018, 11:11 AM
You can wear Duke gear to a Louisville game, but you might experience some verbal abuse. I've worn Duke gear in Louisville without issue (though not to a game). Kentucky is not a great state to wear Duke gear, but the real animosity comes from Wildcayut fans. Just stay away from people missing large numbers of teeth.

It's a shame you can't make the Virginia game - in my experience, University of Virginia fans are the single most gracious, welcoming, and good-sportsmanship-embodying fan-base I've encountered. That said, Louisville is probably more interesting than Charlottesville. Check out Churchill Downs and a distillery.

Only one? :confused:

https://kybourbontrail.com/map/

;):D

NYBri
09-15-2018, 02:13 PM
It’s amazing to me to read this list. I graduated in 2003 (and haven’t been back since homecoming the fall after I graduated) and aside from Elmo’s (and Vin Rouge, which was maybe a year or two old at the time) I dont’ think a single place on that list existed when I was in school. The thought that Durham would be a major foodie destination is not consistent with my recollection of what town was like 15 years ago. In short, I feel old.

I graduated in ‘74.

If the Ivy Room is gone, I’m lost in this conversation.

someotherdavid
09-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Sucks you won't be able to catch a game. Not sure if this is still the case but they used to leave the doors to Cameron unlocked. As long as there was no events or practices going on you could just walk on in.

So, how long ago was that? I was there in the early-to-mid 80's and that was the case then. I suspect that it has changed in the last 20, er, 30+ years. I do think that if you go into the Duke store, or find an open door to any of the athletic offices that you could get somebody to give you a tour of Cameron. They're kind of proud of it there.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-15-2018, 08:06 PM
While Durham is a far cry from where it was 30 years ago, its attractions are scattered and the downtown area is just OK, compared to other urban scenes.
What??? I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion. It’s not New York but it’s a fantastic place to hang out with plenty of activities with walking distance of one another. This seems like an odd criticism.

tfk53
09-15-2018, 09:30 PM
Have lived 30 miles north of Durham for 35 years and have watched the transformation of Durham into a truly eclectic city with a vibrant downtown. Music, culture, arts, food, drink, outdoor activities. All there to be found. If my son and his family were not in my small town, would definitely consider relocating to Durham. I head into Durham several times a months

Places I like - among others
Others have listed many of the wonderful eateries.
agree with 21C being both a cool bar and wonderful food.
Gocciolina - excellent Italian restaurant.
Dash - Japanese noodle place with neat bar upstairs.
Cosmic cantina - a taste of Mexican food for students/masses. An interesting piece of Durham.
CocoaCinnamon - superb coffee and hot chocolate to die for.
Guglhopf Cafe and Biergarten
Watts Grocery

So, UKDukeFan, have a blast in this area. Check out some of the music scenes. The local weekly, the Independent, has lots of info.
https://www.indyweek.com

Jim3k
09-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Seriously.. Since you have flown all the way from the UK IMHO you need to get online as soon as you can and buy tickets for the Virginia game. I am surprised no one has said this to you. It’s only 3hours drive away...it’s nothing for someone who has come all the way from the UK.

I understand...Being from the UK myself and from Birmingham I know we aren’t used to driving long distance but 180 miles is a walk in the park in US miles. It’s a piece of cake. The game is at 6.00 pm. No problem leaving at midday or so. Watch the game and back in Bull City at about midnight...worst case just don’t stay in Durham that night.

You will have a great time too, I am sure Virginia fans will be very hospitable to a British Duke fan. Honestly after being accustomed to go to away soccer games in the UK and being afraid to show any home colors vs. going anywhere in the US is crazy safe...

Yeah but he'll be driving on, for him, the wrong side of the road.

dukelifer
09-15-2018, 09:51 PM

And that is just a subset of new places. A lot of changed since 2003.

elvis14
09-16-2018, 11:06 AM

Just to be clear, you should not order un-sweetened tea unless you visit NY or NJ or some other place north of the Mason-Dixon line. Unsweetened iced tea is truly an abomination. Just get a cup of coffer or something if you're thinking of ordering un-sweetened tea. In the south if you order 'tea' you are likely to be treated a wonderful concoction known as sweet tea. It's sweet, very sweet (if mixed properly). You will know if they mixed it correctly if your teeth hurt a bit when you drink it. Don't worry, refills are almost always free and frequent. Enjoy.

MartyClark
09-16-2018, 11:30 AM
So, how long ago was that? I was there in the early-to-mid 80's and that was the case then. I suspect that it has changed in the last 20, er, 30+ years. I do think that if you go into the Duke store, or find an open door to any of the athletic offices that you could get somebody to give you a tour of Cameron. They're kind of proud of it there.

I was there three years ago during basketball season. Duke played Wake on a Tuesday night. My son and I got into Cameron on Monday afternoon. They also allowed us to tour the other athletic facilities, practice facility etc. We simply asked politely and they let us in. We weren't the only ones in Cameron - lots of prospective students and their parents.

We walked onto the court - sat on the bench -took lots of pictures. The Duke employees were very nice.

75Crazie
09-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Just to be clear, you should not order un-sweetened tea unless you visit NY or NJ or some other place north of the Mason-Dixon line. Unsweetened iced tea is truly an abomination.
Wow, just … wow! The very few times I tried to drink southern sweet tea, I thought I was drinking liquid sugar.

Jim3k
09-16-2018, 06:52 PM
Just to be clear, you should not order un-sweetened tea unless you visit NY or NJ or some other place north of the Mason-Dixon line. Unsweetened iced tea is truly an abomination.

Abomination? No. It's an adult, acquired taste. But it is best when the tea has been softened by some sort of flavoring--lemon zest, bergamot oil, orange-cinnamon or the like. (No smoky teas.) Do it yourself by boiling and then allowing it to cool. Add the ice then.* A slice of lemon is always nice. But I do sometimes like the bitterness of unsweetened orange-pekoe.

The sugar part of Southern sweet tea is a. invariably too sweet and b. bad for diabetics. If you must sweeten it, do it yourself: only half a teaspoon of sugar or half a packet of sugar substitute in an 8 oz. glass.

* Throwing ice into a glass of hot tea can work in a pinch, but you have to do it twice, plus the dilution weakens the tea beyond its expected taste. Not recommended.

BigWayne
09-18-2018, 05:12 PM
Women's Schedule is out now. (http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5476670.pdf)

UKDukeFan will be able to catch the women in Cameron against VT on Valentine's day.

UKDukeFan
09-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Women's Schedule is out now. (http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5476670.pdf)

UKDukeFan will be able to catch the women in Cameron against VT on Valentine's day.

The replies on her have been interesting reads and allowed me to contemplate where we might go away from campus and basketball. Thanks Big Wayne, I'd did see the schedule for the women out yesterday and looked for tickets but non available then and then tonight via Stubhub they seem to be all sold out. Are the women's games all sellouts? Is it best to attend on the day and try and buy via scalpers?

On the plus side I have been in contact via email with a Duke Alum who provides tours of Cameron and associated facilities which is amazing so my wife and I will hopefully see all things Duke Basketball during the week!

BigWayne
09-19-2018, 04:58 PM
The replies on her have been interesting reads and allowed me to contemplate where we might go away from campus and basketball. Thanks Big Wayne, I'd did see the schedule for the women out yesterday and looked for tickets but non available then and then tonight via Stubhub they seem to be all sold out. Are the women's games all sellouts? Is it best to attend on the day and try and buy via scalpers?

On the plus side I have been in contact via email with a Duke Alum who provides tours of Cameron and associated facilities which is amazing so my wife and I will hopefully see all things Duke Basketball during the week!
You won't have any trouble finding tickets for the women's game against VT. They just announced the schedule so nothing is going to be set up online yet.

UKDukeFan
09-20-2018, 02:41 PM
That's reassuring to know!

Thank you BigWayne😁

UKDukeFan
12-29-2018, 11:37 AM
I started this thread some time ago in anticipation of my wife and I visiting from the UK in February. I have to say I found the responses and advice invaluable. Thank you to all who replied.

However, I have a problem now! I booked the wrong vacation dates. I've never done this before in my life but booked flights, hotel, car hire and game tickets (via Stubhub, including flights, hotel and tickets to Duke playing at Louisville) for the week before my week school vacation for what is called half term in the UK.

This is proving a bit of a headache (and expensive) but in trying to be positive about this I recognise that it may throw up some interesting possibilities for the week we are actually now scheduled to arrive 2/16 to 2/23. Can I ask for any advice on the following from those in the know please:

1. Washington Duke Inn is now not available (nor is JB Duke). Recommended hotels near campus or downtown if that is a good idea (I was guessing to be near campus but am open to ideas)?

2. We fly in on 2/16 at 16:30 and see that Duke are due to play NC state. When will the start time be announced (as we could buy tickets) as it is TBA at the moment?

3. Is the only way to buy two tickets to the UNC game via scalpers (we would call touts in the UK)? I fully understand we'd have to pay a large price for 2 tickets but worry about being scammed? Could we safely get two tickets for UNC this way?

4. How do I resell some existing tickets (including Duke at Louisville) via Stubhub? I have never used Stubhub before and need to try and get some money back to afford the additional costs I have incurred.

I do appreciate I have asked a lot here so any advice would be great and any friendly faces on arrival in Durham to meet, have a beer and chat all things Duke would be an amazing early 50th present for me and my wife.

BandAlum83
12-29-2018, 12:01 PM
I started this thread some time ago in anticipation of my wife and I visiting from the UK in February. I have to say I found the responses and advice invaluable. Thank you to all who replied.

However, I have a problem now! I booked the wrong vacation dates. I've never done this before in my life but booked flights, hotel, car hire and game tickets (via Stubhub, including flights, hotel and tickets to Duke playing at Louisville) for the week before my week school vacation for what is called half term in the UK.

This is proving a bit of a headache (and expensive) but in trying to be positive about this I recognise that it may throw up some interesting possibilities for the week we are actually now scheduled to arrive 2/16 to 2/23. Can I ask for any advice on the following from those in the know please:

1. Washington Duke Inn is now not available (nor is JB Duke). Recommended hotels near campus or downtown if that is a good idea (I was guessing to be near campus but am open to ideas)?

2. We fly in on 2/16 at 16:30 and see that Duke are due to play NC state. When will the start time be announced (as we could buy tickets) as it is TBA at the moment?

3. Is the only way to buy two tickets to the UNC game via scalpers (we would call touts in the UK)? I fully understand we'd have to pay a large price for 2 tickets but worry about being scammed? Could we safely get two tickets for UNC this way?

4. How do I resell some existing tickets (including Duke at Louisville) via Stubhub? I have never used Stubhub before and need to try and get some money back to afford the additional costs I have incurred.

I do appreciate I have asked a lot here so any advice would be great and any friendly faces on arrival in Durham to meet, have a beer and chat all things Duke would be an amazing early 50th present for me and my wife.

One item: Selling tickets on Stub Hub is incredibly easy and intuitive. Just go to the link on the top right that says "Sell." It will walk you through the process and you get to decide the sale price.

It will help you decide price by showing what other tickets are for sale and their price.

duketaylor
12-29-2018, 12:04 PM
You could probably easily sell the tickets on this site. Tickets for unc will not be easy or cheap. Tix for the Wolfies should be doable. Use the McGrupp method (sorry not sure how to link here), or revert to StubHub. Good luck and enjoy!!!

UKDukeFan
02-17-2019, 09:44 AM
My wife and I arrived yesterday at the 21C hotel and gambled on a quick check in and taxi to Cameron to try and get some tickets for the Wolfpack game. Alas, we couldn't find any so made do with watching the game in The Loop with the students, which was great!

Just had breakfast and saw Lance Thomas so had a quick chat and picture with him....awesome!

We've got tickets for UNC women's basketball v UVA today and also NC State v Notre Dame tomorrow but the big one is obviously UNC on Wednesday. We're going to try and get tickets (I know it'll be really hard and if we're lucky we'll have to pay way over the odds but any advice on the best way of doing this would be greatly appreciated)?

After falling in love with basketball, but Duke basketball in particular, in the late 1990s I cannot believe we're here and in Durham as an early 50th present. I've re-read the thread for advice and thank everyone for your advice. If you see a couple looking lost around Cameron or in Durham at any stage, that'll be us! Please say hello?

uh_no
02-17-2019, 10:19 AM
My wife and I arrived yesterday at the 21C hotel and gambled on a quick check in and taxi to Cameron to try and get some tickets for the Wolfpack game. Alas, we couldn't find any so made do with watching the game in The Loop with the students, which was great!

Just had breakfast and saw Lance Thomas so had a quick chat and picture with him...awesome!

We've got tickets for UNC women's basketball v UVA today and also NC State v Notre Dame tomorrow but the big one is obviously UNC on Wednesday. We're going to try and get tickets (I know it'll be really hard and if we're lucky we'll have to pay way over the odds but any advice on the best way of doing this would be greatly appreciated)?

After falling in love with basketball, but Duke basketball in particular, in the late 1990s I cannot believe we're here and in Durham as an early 50th present. I've re-read the thread for advice and thank everyone for your advice. If you see a couple looking lost around Cameron or in Durham at any stage, that'll be us! Please say hello?

be careful Wednesday... tons of fakes. if it's too good a deal, it probably is.

JasonEvans
11-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Someone who has never been to Cameron just emailed me asking for advice about a Durham/Duke visit. I found this thread and pointed them to it. Any locals have anything they want to add over the past couple years? Has any of the advice from this thread changed lately?

uh_no
11-06-2021, 04:52 PM
Someone who has never been to Cameron just emailed me asking for advice about a Durham/Duke visit. I found this thread and pointed them to it. Any locals have anything they want to add over the past couple years? Has any of the advice from this thread changed lately?

the only thing that i see that no longer exists is gonza taco.

duke2x
11-07-2021, 11:18 AM
the only thing that i see that no longer exists is gonza taco.

They were selling them yesterday at the football game, but it might not be a Cameron concession. We will know on Friday night. I would recommend the trip over to North Raleigh for Torchy's anyway.

We might want to indicate that this thread is from 2018. I was about to post we don't host Louisville in basketball this year.

uh_no
11-07-2021, 02:55 PM
They were selling them yesterday at the football game, but it might not be a Cameron concession. We will know on Friday night. I would recommend the trip over to North Raleigh for Torchy's anyway.

We might want to indicate that this thread is from 2018. I was about to post we don't host Louisville in basketball this year.

the Durham location no longer exists, even if the chain still does

jimmymax
11-08-2021, 10:28 PM
I didn't re-read up thread but a variety of places to consider that I think are all open:

9th St: Dain's, Local 22, Parizade, Vin Rouge, Juju, Monuts, Mad Hatter, Lime & Lemon, HeavBuff (wings), Cosmic Cantina (serious dive), Elmo's (diner)
North downtown: Geer St Garden, Boxcar, Motorco / Parts & Labor, Hutchins Garage, Accordian Club, Surf Club, Fullsteam, Durham Food Hall
Central downtown: Pompieri, Bull City Burger & Brewery, Dos Perros, Luna, Dashi, Rue Cler, MSushi, Durham Hotel rooftop, Pizzeria Toro, Viceroy, Mateo's, Toast, Bull McCabe's
A bit farther from downtown: High Wire, Ponysaurus, Bull City Ciderworks, Grub, Guglhupf, Beer Study
Sweet stuff: The Parlour, Simon Says, Locopops

uh_no
11-08-2021, 10:36 PM
I didn't re-read up thread but a variety of places to consider that I think are all open:

9th St: Dain's, Local 22, Parizade, Vin Rouge, Juju, Monuts, Mad Hatter, Lime & Lemon, HeavBuff (wings), Cosmic Cantina (serious dive), Elmo's (diner)
North downtown: Geer St Garden, Boxcar, Motorco / Parts & Labor, Hutchins Garage, Accordian Club, Surf Club, Fullsteam, Durham Food Hall
Central downtown: Pompieri, Bull City Burger & Brewery, Dos Perros, Luna, Dashi, Rue Cler, MSushi, Durham Hotel rooftop, Pizzeria Toro, Viceroy, Mateo's, Toast, Bull McCabe's
A bit farther from downtown: High Wire, Ponysaurus, Bull City Ciderworks, Grub, Guglhupf, Beer Study

heavenly buffaloes is a GD durham treasure at this point. I'm pretty sure 100% of my disposable income would have gone to HB were it there when I was a student.

heyman25
11-09-2021, 12:54 AM
My Property Manager owns this space with her husband. A Football Pub (Soccer) Never been there, but looks good on the website.
https://www.bootroomdurham.com/
Yet to go but has rave reviews. The Saltbox
https://www.saltboxseafoodjoint.com/
Not from Texas, but love Texas Style brisket Tri Tip and Ribs.
Don't think Durham or Chapel Hill has this available, though Wake County has a foodtruck Dampf BBQ and the Chain; City BBQ
And this sounds good but have yet to try in search of Texas BBQ style food.
https://www.lawrencebarbecue.com/

uh_no
11-09-2021, 01:13 AM
My Property Manager owns this space with her husband. A Football Pub (Soccer) Never been there, but looks good on the website.
Don't think Durham or Chapel Hill has this available, though Wake County has a foodtruck Dampf BBQ and the Chain; City BBQ

bootroom looks interesting. first I've heard about it.

Was looking for a good pub to go to for USMNT games....

Nepos
11-09-2021, 07:41 AM
bootroom looks interesting. first I've heard about it.

Was looking for a good pub to go to for USMNT games...

It is Beer Study's expansion to add food service. I live very close to it, and have been many times. The food is respectable pub food, but nothing amazing. The beer selection, though, is top notch, and they have multiple TVs with multiple soccer games and fan presence for big games. Have not seen a USMNT game there, but suspect it would be a fun experience.

DevilYouKnow
11-09-2021, 09:15 AM
don't forget bull city burger, and pizzaria toro

Also m kokko aren't even the best wings in durham #heavenlybuffaloes

M Kokko is great, but the best wings are at Bahn's on 9th street.

Native
11-09-2021, 11:18 AM

I’m Native, and I approve this message. Can’t go wrong at any of these places.

Is Q-Shack still open? Haven’t been home in a hot minute.

+1 to uh_no’s Heav Buff shout-out. Those wings are the bomb.

Steven43
11-09-2021, 11:38 AM
I’m Native, and I approve this message. Can’t go wrong at any of these places.

Is Q-Shack still open? Haven’t been home in a hot minute.

+1 to uh_no’s Heav Buff shout-out. Those wings are the bomb.
Yes, Q Shack is still open; ate there last week. Sliced brisket sandwich (with the fat kept intact, not trimmed) with Texas-style BBQ sauce added, cole slaw, potato salad, hush puppies, a deviled egg, and sweet tea. 😋

diablesseblu
11-09-2021, 11:39 AM
Excellent food choices abound in Durham. I’d add one suggestion if you haven’t been.

NuvoTaco on University (next to the now closed Nana’s) is first rate. They’re currently closed on Monday and Tuesday, but it’s a “run, don’t walk” place to try.

DukieInKansas
11-09-2021, 06:28 PM

I'll give a shout out to City BBQ just because it was started by a guy from Kansas and he is related to my BiL Alan. I hope to have a chance to try their food sometime. :D

heyman25
11-09-2021, 07:28 PM
It was good. I went to a location in Garner, NC. Nice restaurant seating area. I did take out and they didn't tell me to pour my drink to go. That was annoying but brisket and ribs combo was fine.