PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #125 Down goes NWestern, but at what cost?

JasonEvans
09-11-2018, 07:35 PM
https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-125-football-is-2-0

0:00 Byrd Campbell, they mean business
0:25 Sam is hosting, Donald is traveling, and Jason is celebrating the Jewish New Year.
1:50 Duke beats NW but suffers some big injury losses. Donald marvels at the Duke 4th quarter D.
4:50 Jason talks turnovers, both the real ones and the ones that come after 4th down.
7:10 Sidebar on Mark Gilbert, one of the best defensive backs in Duke history.
8:40 Sam talks a bit about what NW was trying (and failing) to do on offense.
12:00 Jason enjoyed the way we moved the ball around, especially hitting the TEs.
13:25 Sam points out the impressive majors of Duke’s football team.
14:40 Donald finishes the conversation about the game by pointing out how important confidence is.
15:20 If you need legal help, we recommend talking to Byrd Campbell.
15:50 Jason looks ahead to Baylor, a team that has played some truly terrible competition thus far, and says the Baylor D is just plain awful.
20:20 Jason sidebars on computer rankings… and has actually found one ranking that says Duke is the best football team in the country. Take that Alabama!!
22:45 Donald says the key to the game is the offense and what happens without Daniel Jones.
24:20 Who is Gunner Holmberg and why is he the future of Duke football?
26:00 New sponsor! Dominate Test Prep is your best way to get into a good grad school.
26:55 Parting shots – Donald has been watching some Dukies playing WNBA basketball.
28:05 Parting shots – Jason loves him some Scottie Montgomery for beating UNC in football.
30:30 Parting shots – Sam wants to know what happened to the grad student camp out.
33:25 Sam says goodbye and Jason interrupts to encourage folks to write to us at DBRPodcast@gmail.com

Bob Green
09-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Another good job, guys!

In regard to the running game, give the Northwestern defense some credit for limiting Duke's success. They were tough to run against. Second, IMO, Duke rode Deon Jackson hard in the game due to Brittain Brown having that scare with his knee against Army.

I share Jason's optimism for this week's Baylor game. Duke will win! There is a lot of talent around Quentin Harris. If Harris can run the offense, and I'm under no illusion he will run it as effectively as Daniel Jones, but if he can run it Duke will score enough points to win.

At today's press conference, Coach Cutcliffe emphasized Quentin Harris can throw the ball he just hasn't been asked to throw the ball. Harris is an accurate passer and he can throw the deep ball. Harris knows the offense and is a hard worker who will be prepared.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-12-2018, 05:11 AM
At today's press conference, Coach Cutcliffe emphasized Quentin Harris can throw the ball he just hasn't been asked to throw the ball. Harris is an accurate passer and he can throw the deep ball. Harris knows the offense and is a hard worker who will be prepared.

Perhaps I'm in a crabby mood because Florence is threatening my home, another home we are renovating, and a fledgling business my wife and I own.....but when I see comments like this above from Coach Cut, I'm dying to ask, if all that is true..why didn't we see Harris last year when DJ was badly hurt and ineffective?

Yeah, I am in a crabby mood...

arnie
09-12-2018, 07:04 AM
Perhaps I'm in a crabby mood because Florence is threatening my home, another home we are renovating, and a fledgling business my wife and I own....but when I see comments like this above from Coach Cut, I'm dying to ask, if all that is true..why didn't we see Harris last year when DJ was badly hurt and ineffective?

Yeah, I am in a crabby mood...

It’s all coachspeak. I’m sure Harris can throw the ball a long way, but doubt he has much accuracy with vertical passing. But what is Cut supposed to say?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-12-2018, 08:08 AM
It’s all coachspeak. I’m sure Harris can throw the ball a long way, but doubt he has much accuracy with vertical passing. But what is Cut supposed to say?

Well it certainly could be somewhat coach speak, but I think it's too early to call it "all coach speak." If Harris preforms even average, it still makes you wonder about last season when Jones was too hurt to even rise to the level of average.

JasonEvans
09-12-2018, 08:24 AM

Via the magic of a time machine and a Freaky Friday fortune cookie, coach Cut has been transported back to 1972 and into the body of Don Shula! Don't ask me for all the details, as the movie rights are still under negotiation. Anyway, the time travel part of things has altered the past in a couple small ways. We enter into a Coach Shuliffe news conference in the middle of the season.

Reporter: "Coach, coach... we just got a report from practice that Earl Morrell has badly bruised ribs. Two weeks ago Bob Griese went down with a broken ankle. What are you going to do at QB?"

Shuliffe: "I'm not at all worried. We have a great defense and plenty of standouts on offense. Yesterday, we worked out our new starting QB and he was great. He can throw it deep and is very accurate. His name may surprise you but just because we have only asked Garo Yapremian to kick until now it does not mean he cannot pass really well."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-pxMm_UdY4

budwom
09-12-2018, 11:36 AM
definitely a major moment for QB Harris, we'll see what happens..I do know that when he was recruited, the staff thought Harris was extremely accurate...but we haven't ever seen him unleashed, so we'll just have to wait and see...

OldPhiKap
09-12-2018, 06:29 PM
FWW, this podcast is linked to. Baylor site with the headline:

Duke football analyst ‘Baylor is really, really bad on defense”

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/32630

HereBeforeCoachK
09-12-2018, 06:43 PM

Providing the oppo with bulletin board material?

OldPhiKap
09-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Providing the oppo with bulletin board material?

Yeah, although many seem to agree.

A pretty pessimistic crowd overall, it seems.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Yeah, although many seem to agree.

A pretty pessimistic crowd overall, it seems.

Well one thing seems a pretty good bet.....that our D versus their O is strength on strength in this game.....our O and their D? Not so much.

JasonEvans
09-12-2018, 07:09 PM

I have never been so proud.

The comments in that thread are really amusing. At least 50% of the Baylor fans seem to agree with me that they sorta suck on D and many also agree that the 6.5 point line for Baylor seems kinda crazy. We shall see...

cato
09-12-2018, 07:28 PM

Okay, which of you football analysts said that?

ETA: I see it was Jason. Now we know who to blame if Duke can’t get anything going!

devildeac
09-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Okay, which of you football analysts said that?

ETA: I see it was Jason. Now we know who to blame if Duke can’t get anything going!

I'd blame Dev11 (aka Sam). ;)

arnie
09-12-2018, 09:16 PM
I have never been so proud.

The comments in that thread are really amusing. At least 50% of the Baylor fans seem to agree with me that they sorta suck on D and many also agree that the 6.5 point line for Baylor seems kinda crazy. We shall see...

“Duke football analyst sounds like a real crappy job.” Quite the comment on the Baylor thread.

Dev11
09-12-2018, 09:49 PM
“Duke football analyst sounds like a real crappy job.” Quite the comment on the Baylor thread.

Not when you got that sweet, sweet sponsor money!

cato
09-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Not when you got that sweet, sweet sponsor money!

Plus, you now have a reverse jinx working in your favor

brevity
09-12-2018, 10:12 PM

I’d rather be employed as a Duke Football Analyst than a:

- Baylor Football Compliance Officer
- Michigan Football Khaki Supplier
- Louisville Football Harassment Director
- Arizona State Football Cliché Translator
- UNC Football Fertilizer Shoveler

JasonEvans
09-12-2018, 10:40 PM

Oh, we will 100% be talking about this on the podcast next week... 100%!!

blazindw
09-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Oh, we will 100% be talking about this on the podcast next week... 100%!!

Man, I hope we win, cuz if we do, this is gonna be fun!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 08:10 AM
I’d rather be employed as a Duke Football Analyst than a:

- Baylor Football Compliance Officer
- Michigan Football Khaki Supplier
- Louisville Football Harassment Director
- Arizona State Football Cliché Translator
- UNC Football Fertilizer Shoveler

Michigan State Gym Consultant..

campered
09-13-2018, 12:46 PM
https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-125-football-is-2-0

0:00 Byrd Campbell, they mean business
0:25 Sam is hosting, Donald is traveling, and Jason is celebrating the Jewish New Year.
1:50 Duke beats NW but suffers some big injury losses. Donald marvels at the Duke 4th quarter D.
4:50 Jason talks turnovers, both the real ones and the ones that come after 4th down.
7:10 Sidebar on Mark Gilbert, one of the best defensive backs in Duke history.
8:40 Sam talks a bit about what NW was trying (and failing) to do on offense.
12:00 Jason enjoyed the way we moved the ball around, especially hitting the TEs.
13:25 Sam points out the impressive majors of Duke’s football team.
14:40 Donald finishes the conversation about the game by pointing out how important confidence is.
15:20 If you need legal help, we recommend talking to Byrd Campbell.
15:50 Jason looks ahead to Baylor, a team that has played some truly terrible competition thus far, and says the Baylor D is just plain awful.
20:20 Jason sidebars on computer rankings… and has actually found one ranking that says Duke is the best football team in the country. Take that Alabama!!
22:45 Donald says the key to the game is the offense and what happens without Daniel Jones.
24:20 Who is Gunner Holmberg and why is he the future of Duke football?
26:00 New sponsor! Dominate Test Prep is your best way to get into a good grad school.
26:55 Parting shots – Donald has been watching some Dukies playing WNBA basketball.
28:05 Parting shots – Jason loves him some Scottie Montgomery for beating UNC in football.
30:30 Parting shots – Sam wants to know what happened to the grad student camp out.
33:25 Sam says goodbye and Jason interrupts to encourage folks to write to us at DBRPodcast@gmail.com Wish I could have heard the podcast, but I am having connection issues.... However, I don't understand why Duke did not take proper steps to give Jones better protection from their DE. Our number 70 clearly was having problems containing the DE, twice in a short period of time allowing him clear sailing to Jones. The second time proved extremely bad for him, putting him out indefinitely! You gotta recognize the situation, especially when a pass play is called, and put a running back or even a tight end as a backup blocker for the onrushing DE! I have seen this action many times in football, and it works. Considering the importance of Jones, this seems like a huge oversight by someone!!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Wish I could have heard the podcast, but I am having connection issues... However, I don't understand why Duke did not take proper steps to give Jones better protection from their DE. Our number 70 clearly was having problems containing the DE, twice in a short period of time allowing him clear sailing to Jones. The second time proved extremely bad for him, putting him out indefinitely! You gotta recognize the situation, especially when a pass play is called, and put a running back or even a tight end as a backup blocker for the onrushing DE! I have seen this action many times in football, and it works. Considering the importance of Jones, this seems like a huge oversight by someone!!

It might have been by Jones....who perhaps was supposed to step up in the pocket on that play instead of fading backwards more. I know after the Army game Coach Cut indicated that some of the pressures came when Jones didn't step up. By the way, I'm only throwing this out as a theory - not necessarily saying it's the case.

JasonEvans
09-13-2018, 04:57 PM
So, I posted something on the Baylor board. I will be interested in seeing how they respond to it. I was respectful.

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/32630/replies/840118

Bob Green
09-13-2018, 05:10 PM
The first response:

P.S. It was still a block. Y'all owe us a MBB natty.

I posted a couple of times on that forum early in the week and several replies complained about the Zoubek block/charge call in 2010. Too many posters on the board were more interested in complaining about Duke MBB than discussing the football game so I quit posting. Nobody was rude but everyone was carping.

brevity
09-13-2018, 05:27 PM
The first response:

P.S. It was still a block. Y'all owe us a MBB natty.

I posted a couple of times on that forum early in the week and several replies complained about the Zoubek block/charge call in 2010. Too many posters on the board were more interested in complaining about Duke MBB than discussing the football game so I quit posting. Nobody was rude but everyone was carping.

Huh, I didn't realize the 2010 Duke-Baylor regional final was also a national championship. I wonder how West Virginia and Butler feel about that. Maybe West Virginia can find a way to express their disagreement during conference play.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 05:29 PM
Huh, I didn't realize the 2010 Duke-Baylor regional final was also a national championship. I wonder how West Virginia and Butler feel about that. Maybe West Virginia can find a way to express their disagreement during conference play.

True, and I think the main problem for Baylor was Andre and his three ball that day.....kept us in the game in the first half (if memory serves).

OldPhiKap
09-13-2018, 05:34 PM
The first response:

To be fair, the rest of the post addressed the point raised by Jason (that he may be right about the D, but they have three good D players coming back that missed those games) and wished everyone well with the upcoming storm.

I think it is a fairly unhappy fanbase right now, given last year and the defense the first two games. They are also not happy with the quarterback platooning for the most part, and are not sure about their new coach. Sounds like a fanbase that is football-first; expects to play at a high level; and isn't seeing it under the current coach yet. Given that, the responses are understandable.

I was really surprised at how many posters there predict a Duke win. But then again, after we go through a tough stretch in the basketball season, there are many around here (usually not regulars) who think the world is ending.

jv001
09-14-2018, 08:29 AM
To be fair, the rest of the post addressed the point raised by Jason (that he may be right about the D, but they have three good D players coming back that missed those games) and wished everyone well with the upcoming storm.

I think it is a fairly unhappy fanbase right now, given last year and the defense the first two games. They are also not happy with the quarterback platooning for the most part, and are not sure about their new coach. Sounds like a fanbase that is football-first; expects to play at a high level; and isn't seeing it under the current coach yet. Given that, the responses are understandable.

I was really surprised at how many posters there predict a Duke win. But then again, after we go through a tough stretch in the basketball season, there are many around here (usually not regulars) who think the world is ending.

I think Jason fired those fans up. I just hope the Baylor football team doesn't think our football team feels the same way:mad:. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 09:08 AM
I think Jason fired those fans up. I just hope the Baylor football team doesn't think our football team feels the same way:mad:. GoDuke!

Yup. It kind of went downhill last I checked. So I stopped checking.

I certainly agree with Jason's overall point that Baylor's defense has not performed well to date. Some of the posters raised valid criticisms of the rationale Jason used. But if you take a step back, and look at how many points Baylor gave up to teams they should have swatted, it seems within the realm of reality to conclude that Baylor's defense may have its hands full tomorrow. Let's hope.

Bob Green
09-15-2018, 07:37 PM
That Sicem365 website resembles InsideCarolina right now. Meltdown mode. Lots of fans calling for the coaching staff to be fired.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 07:38 PM
That Sicem365 website resembles InsideCarolina right now. Meltdown mode. Lots of fans calling for the coaching staff to be fired.

Yeah, just perused it. The unhappy have become unhappier.

Dev11
09-15-2018, 08:16 PM

David Cutcliffe has left a slew of angry message board posts in his wake as he approaches a winning record as the Duke head coach (he is currently five games under .500). It's one of the low key indicators of success.