PDA

View Full Version : Florence

Pages : [1] 2

-jk
09-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Be safe, y'all...

Among others, these guys (https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang) do a nice job covering weather.

Wind map (https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-93.54,38.51,996)

And the NHC (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov) has a Florence (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc#Florence) set of links.

-jk

Tripping William
09-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Be safe, y'all...

Among others, these guys (https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang) do a nice job covering weather.

Wind map (https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-93.54,38.51,996)

And the NHC (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov) has a Florence (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc#Florence) set of links.

-jk

I was really hoping this was a travel advice thread for Italy. Alas ...

Agree: Stay safe!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 06:42 PM
This is terrible timing for me......live in Beaufort, have a house I'm renovating in Raleigh...have a daughter from Portland flying into Raleigh for first time in two years.....and this looks like a Fran re do....even stronger. It could screw up everything.......

Newton_14
09-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Be safe, y'all...

-jk

My son just transferred to UNC-W to start his Jr year of higher education so we have been watching this one closely. All classes are cancelled starting at noon tomorrow and they issued the volunteer evacuation for students this afternoon. I suspect the mandatory evacuation will be issued Tuesday.
This one has the potential to wipe out the Atlantic Beach to Emerald Isle Island. If it hits as a strong Cat 4 with 140mph winds as predicted it will do catastrophic damage to our beaches down there. Even worse, they are predicting it stalls right around the time it gets to us here in the Triangle which would cause lots of flooding. We were without power for 8 days after Fran and this one has the potential to be far worse than Fran was unless something changes...

Indoor66
09-09-2018, 07:18 PM
This is terrible timing for me...live in Beaufort, have a house I'm renovating in Raleigh...have a daughter from Portland flying into Raleigh for first time in two years....and this looks like a Fran re do...even stronger. It could screw up everything....

Maybe time to meet in Nashville, TN.

Devilwin
09-09-2018, 10:06 PM
UNCW starting evacs tomorrow. This one could cause widespread destruction even as far inland as the Winston Salem area.

camion
09-09-2018, 10:13 PM
It is possible that Florence heads for Florence (SC). As a resident of the more southerly Carolina I find that possibility both interesting and worrisome.

Wilmington, NC is a more likely target and I wish those in the northern territory luck.

aimo
09-09-2018, 11:01 PM
My stomach hurts.

Newton_14
09-09-2018, 11:14 PM
The updates only get worse with each return of the hurricane hunters. Unfortunately there are not a lot of the normal factors in play that could turn it or slow it down prior to landfall which is why all the computer models are in general agreement and the center of the cone of uncertainty just isn't moving and not expected to move. The ridge of high pressure is in place, there is no wind shear in the near future and nothing to slow her down.

We can only hope it doesn't get much stronger than the predicted 140mph/150mph, and pray she doesn't come in at high tide.

Barring a miracle it looks like we are looking at another Hazel/Fran type storm come Thursday/Friday.

I'm 52 yrs old and despite my mom talking about Hazel every single hurricane season, I was young and dumb and dismissive of her "stories" until Fran came through in 96 and I ate my words. Unfortunately it was too late to apologize to her as she left us in 1993 (RIP Mom, and yes I now believe in Hurricanes impacting us here)

Bob Green
09-10-2018, 04:58 AM
Here is a link to GOES satellite imagery:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/GOES16_sector_band.php?sector=taw&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

You can see all three storms: Florence, Isaac and Helene.

Satellite imagery homepage: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.php

Devilwin
09-10-2018, 06:03 AM
Hazel was a real beast. My mother and a couple of her friends were talking yesterday about her. I was two when it hit, and have no memory of it. Hazel destroyed nearly every structure from Myrtle Beach to Long Beach, where only five buildings remained!
The impact of Florence is going to be more head on, however, or so it appears at this time. Everyone just be smart, take precautions, and if you are on the coast get the heck outta there!

Devilwin
09-10-2018, 06:54 AM
An interesting documentary I found on Hazel, from 2004.
https://www.wral.com/hurricane_hazel/1129199/

tteettimes
09-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Greg Fischel is having massive cranium illusions
He thinks his dreams are coming true all at the same time

Indoor66
09-10-2018, 07:58 AM

All weathermen become mouth breathers during storms! They get into full mode panic and ridiculousness.

wavedukefan70s
09-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Ever since hugo I fear for those in any storms path.maybe she will curve north .

aimo
09-10-2018, 08:27 AM

Greg Fischel is the one that said last week something like, historical data shows that there is no chance that this will hit us. I paraphrased, but that's basically what he said. He is eating a big fat crow right now.

budwom
09-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Last week I saw this coming as wee drizzle from Africa and I loaded up on bread and milk stocks...I am now richer than Bezos....now looking to buy a nice 767 to get me down to the Baylor game.

Indoor66
09-10-2018, 09:02 AM
Last week I saw this coming as wee drizzle from Africa and I loaded up on bread and milk stocks...I am now richer than Bezos...now looking to buy a nice 767 to get me down to the Baylor game.

A wise man seizes opportunity.

-jk
09-10-2018, 09:32 AM
For those wanting to keep an eye on it, the N&O (https://www.newsobserver.com/) has kindly dropped their paywall.

-jk

elvis14
09-10-2018, 09:40 AM
This is terrible timing for me...live in Beaufort, have a house I'm renovating in Raleigh...have a daughter from Portland flying into Raleigh for first time in two years...and this looks like a Fran re do...even stronger. It could screw up everything...

We made our first visit to Beaufort last weekend. My sister in law and brother in law recently moved their family to Newport. He surveys boats. We are worried about them, yesterday she said she thought they would be OK because they are on the inter-coastal and not the ocean. My father in law explained to her that during a hurricane the inter-coastal will become the ocean (their neighborhood is on the inter-coastal, they have a great dock for his boat, etc but it's 2 blocks from the water). Hopefully by the end of the week she comes to her senses and heads inland.

BTW, really liked Beaufort and look forward to visiting again soon. Hope you don't get hit too hard. Good luck.

Newton_14
09-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Greg Fischel is the one that said last week something like, historical data shows that there is no chance that this will hit us. I paraphrased, but that's basically what he said. He is eating a big fat crow right now.

He was just stating a fact. The Weather Channel said the exact same thing. No storm following the same path off the African Coast has ever made landfall in the US. If Florence does hit us it will in fact be the first one ever from that path.

Nick
09-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Rainfall forecast:

DukieInKansas
09-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Prayers from Kansas for all in the path. I'll feed you if you evacuate this far.

CameronBornAndBred
09-10-2018, 11:13 AM
On day three of storm prep here in New Bern. Wednesday, I am making an art run, delivering work to my locals as far as Raleigh since I would feel much better with their pieces in their hands than taking a chance with it at the gallery. I'm also picking up my coolers from Wake Forest. I leave them with my tailgate partner since there is no sense in having them at home when I use them there more, right? D'oh!

fuse
09-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Here’s hoping Florence is kinder than past F hurricanes have been to NC.

Found water (yea!) and Amazon to the rescue on batteries, emergency radio and solar powered lanterns to arrive by Wednesday.

I will happily waste some money in the vain hope the storm abates.

Never got around to the natural gas generator for the house.

camion
09-10-2018, 02:08 PM
I have found that if I carry a big umbrella the odds of rain decrease dramatically. Unfortunately, for umbrella mojo to work with this storm you would need an umbrella about 100 miles in diameter.

Here's hoping for a better than expected turn of events.

PackMan97
09-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Here’s hoping Florence is kinder than past F hurricanes have been to NC.

Found water (yea!) and Amazon to the rescue on batteries, emergency radio and solar powered lanterns to arrive by Wednesday.

I will happily waste some money in the vain hope the storm abates.

Never got around to the natural gas generator for the house.

Get yourself a 50 gallon rain barrel and a lifestraw and never run out of water after a hurricane again ;) No, seriously!

We also have a hand crank emergency radio/phone charger and a solar powered phone charger on the way thanks to Amazon. We really need to get a solar farm up on our property but just can't pull the trigger on a $30-40k installation + battery storage to get us off the grid.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-10-2018, 02:21 PM
We made our first visit to Beaufort last weekend. My sister in law and brother in law recently moved their family to Newport. He surveys boats. We are worried about them, yesterday she said she thought they would be OK because they are on the inter-coastal and not the ocean. My father in law explained to her that during a hurricane the inter-coastal will become the ocean (their neighborhood is on the inter-coastal, they have a great dock for his boat, etc but it's 2 blocks from the water). Hopefully by the end of the week she comes to her senses and heads inland.

BTW, really liked Beaufort and look forward to visiting again soon. Hope you don't get hit too hard. Good luck.

Thanks...and yes, your friend might be in trouble in Newport.....if this thing hits the Emerald Isle to Morehead corridor as a full grown Cat 4 - which is one of the likely forecasts - then we're all scrod down here.....

On the upside, probably a ton of insurance work for marine surveyors coming up real soon.

Reddevil
09-10-2018, 02:45 PM
This one looks daunting. All of us in the mid-Atlantic have full water tables. I am in Richmond, VA and the potential stall could result in another 12" of rain up here! I feel for all in its path which includes a very wide area. I am going to be grilling some meat this evening so I do not lose too much in the likely event of a prolonged power outage. The ground has been so wet all summer that even 40-50 mph winds will bring down many trees. The James River flood wall in downtown Richmond will get its biggest test since Gaston dumped huge amounts of rain on the area in the 90's. Prepare for the worst - hope for the best. Bend it like Beckham Florence! (Then we can worry about the two right behind her)

elvis14
09-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Thanks...and yes, your friend might be in trouble in Newport...if this thing hits the Emerald Isle to Morehead corridor as a full grown Cat 4 - which is one of the likely forecasts - then we're all scrod down here...

On the upside, probably a ton of insurance work for marine surveyors coming up real soon.

My brother in law in Newport posted a picture of his boat trailers and hooked up to this truck with the caption "ready to head west". Glad to hear that. Still hope you all don't get hit hard.

jimsumner
09-10-2018, 03:35 PM

Nah. Only if it snows 18 inches during the hurricane.

PackMan97
09-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Get yourself a 50 gallon rain barrel and a lifestraw and never run out of water after a hurricane again ;) No, seriously!

Actually, a bathtub full of water and a lifestraw likely works even better...but if TSHTF and it's TEOTWAWKI, you'll be happy for that rain barrel ;)

weezie
09-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Fingers crossed that Sandbridge Beach, VA holds on....

PackMan97
09-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Nah. Only if it snows 18 inches during the hurricane.

Snowicanes can happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1804_Snow_hurricane

Indoor66
09-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Snowicanes can happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1804_Snow_hurricane

I've been in blizzards in Wyoming and in Colorado where the wind hit 70+ miles per hour. It can make for interesting drifts - watching cars disappear in front of your eyes.

rsvman
09-10-2018, 04:29 PM
Fingers crossed that Sandbridge Beach, VA holds on...

Me, too, because I live only about 20 miles inland from that very beach.

rsvman
09-10-2018, 04:30 PM
This one looks daunting. All of us in the mid-Atlantic have full water tables. I am in Richmond, VA and the potential stall could result in another 12" of rain up here! I feel for all in its path which includes a very wide area. I am going to be grilling some meat this evening so I do not lose too much in the likely event of a prolonged power outage. The ground has been so wet all summer that even 40-50 mph winds will bring down many trees. The James River flood wall in downtown Richmond will get its biggest test since Gaston dumped huge amounts of rain on the area in the 90's. Prepare for the worst - hope for the best. Bend it like Beckham Florence! (Then we can worry about the two right behind her)

I'll trade you locations.

I'm in SE Virginia, 20 miles from the ocean and 10 miles from the NC border.

By the way, what good is grilling meat tonight going to do? Inquiring minds want to know. Would you grill it and then freeze it? And then when you lose power, what? Allow it to slowly thaw in the freezer and eat it? I'm confused.

MartyClark
09-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Best wishes, from landlocked Colorado, to all of you in the eye of this storm. Be safe.

left_hook_lacey
09-10-2018, 05:44 PM
School alrwt cancelled in my county and surrounding counties. This storm is starting to feel eerily like Fran. I was in high school at the time and the eye passed over my home town. Winds were recorded at 110mph not far from my house. We got lucky with Fran because it weakened just before land fall but still was the most devestation wind damage I've ever see from a hurricane.

Heres hoping Florence turns her nose up at NC and turns north suddenly.

rsvman
09-10-2018, 05:49 PM

Hey! If she turns "up north" she had better turn hard!

DU82
09-10-2018, 05:56 PM
School alrwt cancelled in my county and surrounding counties. This storm is starting to feel eerily like Fran. I was in high school at the time and the eye passed over my home town. Winds were recorded at 110mph not far from my house. We got lucky with Fran because it weakened just before land fall but still was the most devestation wind damage I've ever see from a hurricane.

Fran was still a hurricane when it went over my house in Durham. I remember the winds, then the calm, then the winds from the other direction (although it had significantly weakened by then.)

Expect a mandatory evacuation of New Hanover County (Wilmington) and Brunswick County being announced later tonight. Don't know about Carteret County yet.

left_hook_lacey
09-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Fran was still a hurricane when it went over my house in Durham. I remember the winds, then the calm, then the winds from the other direction (although it had significantly weakened by then.)

Expect a mandatory evacuation of New Hanover County (Wilmington) and Brunswick County being announced later tonight. Don't know about Carteret County yet.

Yes! That was the only time I've experienced the true eye of a hurricane. I remember the roof sounding like it would come off at any second, and that feeling went on for hours. Then, it suddenly stopped. I remember going outside and it wasn't raining, not even a breeze blowing. The weatherman came back on the radio and started listing the areas that the eye was over and they mentioned my small home town by name. They then told us not to relax because the worst was yet to come in our area because the worst part of the storm was on the south west(I think, couldn't been southeast side) and that we would have two more hours more intense than what we had already experienced. Then, just like you said, the wind shifted in the opposite direction and it was hell on earth again.

When we woke up the next day, there was nothing but trees intertwined with downed power lines laying across the road in both directions as far as the eye could see. We had several oak trees that were almost 100 years old on our farm that had survived many hurricanes, including Hazel, that finally met their match in Fran. We sawed up and hauled away trees for two straight days in order to make a path out to HWY 258 S from our road. We didn't have power for over a week. We grilled out for breakfast lunch and dinner during that time and took cold showers at night which were a blessing because it was so hot.

I remember a rumor going around that the north side of Kinston had partially restored power and that the movie theater would be opening that night for business. Two car loads of my friends and I loaded up and made the almost 1.5 hour trip(usually took about 20 minutes), through flooded downtown streets and miles out of the way because roads were still blocked off from wash outs. When we walked in and felt AC for the first time in weeks, it was heaven. And to this day, that large ice cold coke and bag of pop corn is still the best thing I have ever tasted. :cool:

We watched Bulletproof with Adam Sandler and one of the Wayans. I still can never see that movie on TV without thinking about hurricane Fran.

fuse
09-10-2018, 07:07 PM

We have some similar memories. Fran left us without power for 7 days. Hoping for a better outcome with Florence.

One of the interesting recollections is with Fran we didn’t have cellphones, and internet was dialup.

BigWayne
09-10-2018, 07:49 PM
We have some similar memories. Fran left us without power for 7 days. Hoping for a better outcome with Florence.

One of the interesting recollections is with Fran we didn’t have cellphones, and internet was dialup.

Going to be different challenges this time. Cellphone and internet network will likely be damaged as well, though more easily repairable to some degree.

Good to have at least one phone that doesn't need power to operate in case the landline still works, for those that still have them.

Reddevil
09-10-2018, 08:12 PM
I'll trade you locations.

I'm in SE Virginia, 20 miles from the ocean and 10 miles from the NC border.

By the way, what good is grilling meat tonight going to do? Inquiring minds want to know. Would you grill it and then freeze it? And then when you lose power, what? Allow it to slowly thaw in the freezer and eat it? I'm confused.

No thanks, There are no winners in this. I am simply grilling what I have in the freezer to eat now. We will be eating well for the next few days - some well marbled inch and a half ribeyes and NY strips. Then I'll probably bbq some chicken and pork chops. Just eating it ahead of and during the storm so if I lose power I don't miss out. Yeah, I need a generator.

DUKIECB
09-10-2018, 08:15 PM
I don't know that people understand the significance and just how rare it is to have a landfalling cat 4 hurricane. In all of recorded history there have only been 3 to hit either of the Carolinas, Hazel, Gracie and Hugo. A Cat 4 is not just a little worse than a 3, it's exponentially worse. Couple that with this storms forecast to stall and dump rain after landfall and we may have a storm we will be talking about for decades.

If you are on the coast anywhere near the projected path please evacuate. Don't chance it. And even if you are a ways inland please pay attention and have a plan to get out if needed. I have relatives that live an hour inland from Charleston and they had sustained winds of 110 when Hugo came through. A Cat 4 is no joke.

Everyone take care.

DU82
09-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Thanks to the Fuquay-Varina Police Department for this great Facebook post:

HereBeforeCoachK
09-11-2018, 03:18 AM

Yep, Fran hit Wilmington as a solid 3 and then took I 40 up to Raleigh Durham where it was still a Cat 1 hurricane...where the rain soaked area of the previous 60 days saw many historic oaks uprooted and laying across homes and roads and power lines. Kind of how Hugo hit Charleston then ended up in Charlotte still as a hurricane.

Some of the Florence prediction models have it coming ashore in similar fashion to Fran....although it looks like the 11 pm ticked it slightly back north on the NHC cone...taking dead aim it looks like at Emerald Isle or thereabouts.

If ground zero ends up as Emerald Isle or Morehead or Cape Lookout - and it comes ashore as a 4 - that is a life changing storm with just the wind damage, let alone the rain and flooding to follow. We're bugging out of our Beaufort house today. Of course, we're going to Raleigh, where we will still perhaps get a Cat 1 storm.

94duke
09-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Thanks to the Fuquay-Varina Police Department for this great Facebook post:

I found a funny... :cool:

UNCW cancelled classes starting tonight.

ECU cancelled classes starting Tuesday night.

NC State cancelled classes starting Wednesday night.

UNC cancelled classes starting in 1991.

https://twitter.com/juandorozco90/status/1039319028366565379?s=03

moonpie23
09-11-2018, 11:37 AM
can not sporkz Juan enough for that one.......specTACular...

Nick
09-11-2018, 11:53 AM
The new NHC projection cone is out (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/092646.shtml?cone#contents)... post-landfall, this one has a south/westward shift vs the last one with the eye heading for Fayetteville and the Uwharries.

budwom
09-11-2018, 12:14 PM
I know it's too late now to do major planning before the storm, but as one who lives in an area where we lose power for five days at a time rather frequently (last October we lost about 150 seventy foot pine trees, several on the house, dozens across the driveway, no power for five days) I strongly recommend looking into getting a decent quality portable generator (roughly a thousand bucks) AND have a genuine electrician hook it up properly to the grid (maybe $2k) so you don't fry the line crews when they restore power.

We've had our system for 10-12 years and it's a life saver...it has enough power to run our furnace (nice for when the power is out at ten degrees below zero), fridge, lights, water pump (hot showers!) and some other stuff....

You can go whole hog and get a whole house, automatic turn-on generator, but that costs much closer to $10k when you add in everything required, e.g. big propane tank, bigger generator, etc.

It's a genuine comfort not to be worrying about freezing your home's pipes, or having all your food rot in the fridge...just hunker down til juice is back on.

weezie
09-11-2018, 01:56 PM
...I strongly recommend looking into getting a decent quality portable generator (roughly a thousand bucks) AND have a genuine electrician hook it up properly to the grid (maybe $2k) so you don't fry the line crews when they restore power...

Husband-of-weezie would wonder where's the fun in that when he so thinks he's Mr. Electric. We've danced around buying a generator for years but he tends to think everything is too expensive. With the exception of me, who he rightly believes has added real value to his life.

But you sound right on with the big old house generator. I'll start packing to head up your way for a nice long visit if the wind starts picking up here. :cool:

PS Duke just cancelled classes too. Hurricane Party! Although those days are probably long gone.

budwom
09-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Husband-of-weezie would wonder where's the fun in that when he so thinks he's Mr. Electric. We've danced around buying a generator for years but he tends to think everything is too expensive. With the exception of me, who he rightly believes has added real value to his life.

But you sound right on with the big old house generator. I'll start packing to head up your way for a nice long visit if the wind starts picking up here. :cool:

PS Duke just cancelled classes too. Hurricane Party! Although those days are probably long gone.

we have plenty of room, just fly to BTV and you're home.
The $3,000 we invested in our generator has paid for itself many times over. Frozen pipes would cost us thousands, spoiled food in the fridge would be ugly, and my wife without a hot shower each day
is simply something I do not wish to confront.

OldPhiKap
09-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Husband-of-weezie . . . tends to think everything is too expensive. With the exception of me, who he rightly believes has added real value to his life.

Luckily for me, MrsPK is always kind enough to remind me when I don't value her sufficiently. Pretty handy.

plimnko
09-11-2018, 02:32 PM
ECU canceled classes today, NC State has canceled classes tomorrow, Duke has canceled classes Thursday, and UNC canceled them in 1991

CrazyNotCrazie
09-11-2018, 02:39 PM
ECU canceled classes today, NC State has canceled classes tomorrow, Duke has canceled classes Thursday, and UNC canceled them in 1991

Copyright infringement

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42269-Florence/page3

PackMan97
09-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Technically wouldn't it have been 1989? which was the earliest proven case of academic malfeasance?

UrinalCake
09-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Finally some good news for the CHeat football team, they won’t be able to absorb another humiliating loss this weekend.

OldPhiKap
09-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Finally some good news for the CHeat football team, they won’t be able to absorb another humiliating loss this weekend.

True, they will just have to beat themselves.

devildeac
09-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Shoot, the Hat might count it as a win and have rings and banners made.

CameronBlue
09-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Florence, UNC, Larry Fedora, a train whistle...

What are things that blow hard, Alex?

(Low bow to brevity for that one.)

PackMan97
09-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Secret NC hurricane shield has been activated. The is the ECMWF model.

DUKIECB
09-11-2018, 04:15 PM

8642Pretty crazy and yes most of the state will be spared in that scenario but it will cause catastrophic flooding along the coast with totals approaching 40 inches of rain in places.

Acymetric
09-11-2018, 04:17 PM

That path seems...unlikely? Of course, I am no meteorologist. That path would also still result in a decent chunk of the NC coast getting slammed pretty hard even without being directly hit by the eye wall.

BigWayne
09-11-2018, 04:55 PM

The most important thing on that projection and many others is the lack of distance between the dots near the coast.
Florence is projected to slow from its current 17MPH track movement to about 3MPH when it gets near or over the coast.
That lack of movement will slow the max wind speeds down, but probably after a lot of damage is already done.
Then the lack of track movement will possibly create a biblical rain driven flood.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-11-2018, 05:40 PM
The most important thing on that projection and many others is the lack of distance between the dots near the coast.
Florence is projected to slow from its current 17MPH track movement to about 3MPH when it gets near or over the coast.
That lack of movement will slow the max wind speeds down, but probably after a lot of damage is already done.
Then the lack of track movement will possibly create a biblical rain driven flood.

Keep in mind that wind is a cumulative destroyer.....having more hours of lesser top speed can be worse than a storm that rips on through quickly.

fuse
09-11-2018, 07:03 PM
I wasn’t quite sure where to put this on DBR...

UNCW cancelled classes starting on Monday.

ECU cancelled classes starting on Tuesday.

NC State cancelled classes starting tonight.

ShoeNC cancelled classes starting in 1991.

😂😂😂😂😂

I know what we are preparing to face is not in any way funny.
I hope this bad joke brings a moment or two of levity.

Stay safe all!

devildeac
09-11-2018, 07:44 PM
I wasn’t quite sure where to put this on DBR...

UNCW cancelled classes starting on Monday.

ECU cancelled classes starting on Tuesday.

NC State cancelled classes starting tonight.

ShoeNC cancelled classes starting in 1991.

😂😂😂😂😂

I know what we are preparing to face is not in any way funny.
I hope this bad joke brings a moment or two of levity.

Stay safe all!

Man, you're slow:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42275-Classes-canceled-for-Florence

;)

Honestly, every time I read this, I get a good chortle.

BigWayne
09-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Keep in mind that wind is a cumulative destroyer....having more hours of lesser top speed can be worse than a storm that rips on through quickly.

Oh I certainly agree. If this thing stalls out like they are talking about, wherever it is at the time is going to get devastated.

fuse
09-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Man, you're slow:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42275-Classes-canceled-for-Florence

;)

Honestly, every time I read this, I get a good chortle.

Yup. I did scan the thread and somehow missed it.

fuse
09-11-2018, 08:31 PM
I can’t recall if it was Gladwell’s original Freakonomics or SuperFreakonomics that discussed a cheap and easy way to prevent hurricanes via a funnel that pulls the warm water down to cooler depths.

While I realize messing with weather and climate may bring unanticipated consequences, about now I wish someone had been experimenting with the efficacy of the proposed solution.

cato
09-11-2018, 08:33 PM
I can’t recall if it was Gladwell’s original Freakonomics or SuperFreakonomics that discussed a cheap and easy way to prevent hurricanes via a funnel that pulls the warm water down to cooler depths.

While I realize messing with weather and climate may bring unanticipated consequences, about now I wish someone had been experimenting with the efficacy of the proposed solution.

A funnel? Like, a really big one or lots of little ones or ?

Acymetric
09-11-2018, 08:35 PM

Is that really cheap OR easy on a scale large enough to have any real impact on a hurricane?

There would probably be a lot of concern on effects on the ocean ecosystem in addition to the conversation about consequences of changing weather.

DU82
09-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Just received an email that Southwest cancelled my flight Friday to Dallas. Haven’t checked to see if that’s an airport decision, or carrier. Or just common sense by both.

BLPOG
09-12-2018, 12:05 AM
I know it's too late now to do major planning before the storm, but as one who lives in an area where we lose power for five days at a time rather frequently (last October we lost about 150 seventy foot pine trees, several on the house, dozens across the driveway, no power for five days) I strongly recommend looking into getting a decent quality portable generator (roughly a thousand bucks) AND have a genuine electrician hook it up properly to the grid (maybe $2k) so you don't fry the line crews when they restore power.

We've had our system for 10-12 years and it's a life saver...it has enough power to run our furnace (nice for when the power is out at ten degrees below zero), fridge, lights, water pump (hot showers!) and some other stuff...

You can go whole hog and get a whole house, automatic turn-on generator, but that costs much closer to $10k when you add in everything required, e.g. big propane tank, bigger generator, etc.

It's a genuine comfort not to be worrying about freezing your home's pipes, or having all your food rot in the fridge...just hunker down til juice is back on.

Admittedly I have not checked the prices at Home Depot recently, but I think you can get a "decent" (for my values of decent) generator for a lot less than a thousand dollars - although that might be in Florida as opposed to North Carolina prices. Back in '04 and '05, when we had two consecutive very bad hurricane seasons, I think the prices for the everyman's generator tended to be between $500-800. It was not uncommon to know someone with a generator at the time, but it was not exactly common to own one.

After '04 and '05, that changed a bit. Those seasons made people think it was worth owning one. Many, many more Floridians purchased shutters and generators. The prices dropped a bit with the increased quantity demanded; the same class of generators tended to be between $400-700 in subsequent years, by my recollection. Naturally, it took ten more years for a another hurricane to make landfall in Florida. Even so, many more homes have generators and they are less expensive than you might guess.*

That said, I think the ability to hook it up to the grid/mains power is totally unnecessary for the typical use-case. In '04 and '05, I had power loss for about 2.5-3 weeks and 3-3.5 weeks. That was pretty bad. No one would willingly live in Florida if it were not for air conditioning. It is miserable. We survived. We were able to borrow a generator eventually but we only used it to intermittently power the refrigerator, a few lights, and fans. Unless you have (several) something(s) important to keep continuously powered, it is totally unnecessary to be able to hook up the generator to the grid. Buy some extension cords and power strips. You should have them anyway.

*In Florida, you don't worry about it getting cold. I suppose that could be a consideration in North Carolina, which could raise the price/power requirements/strain on generator, but the odds seem low.

Maybe the "Hurricane Party" days are gone...but I know my cohort still takes advantage of inclement-weather circumstance to hold a special-occasion version of certain game...

BigWayne
09-12-2018, 03:09 AM
Admittedly I have not checked the prices at Home Depot recently, but I think you can get a "decent" (for my values of decent) generator for a lot less than a thousand dollars

Contractor grade ones that are very loud are what you are thinking of. budwom referred to portable generators being ~$1000. These are smaller and quieter and more expensive as a result. Honda 2000 series is the most popular with campers and RV owners for that reason.

That said, I think the ability to hook it up to the grid/mains power is totally unnecessary for the typical use-case.

Depends on your situation. When I was in Georgia, my power panel was situated in a way that I could quite easily install a junction box on the exterior wall directly behind it. That allowed me to plug the generator in with a custom made 220V cord and power any circuit in the house. You do have to have a main disconnect breaker so you don't try to power up your neighbors house as well. Then you have to watch the neighbors to find out when the power comes back on.

You do need an electrician to do it if you don't have the background to do it yourself.

fuse
09-12-2018, 06:40 AM
Is that really cheap OR easy on a scale large enough to have any real impact on a hurricane?

There would probably be a lot of concern on effects on the ocean ecosystem in addition to the conversation about consequences of changing weather.

I could not find an online resource to refer.

My memory says it was in SuperFreakonomics and it was both cheap and easy.

The concept was off the coast of Africa, station some anchored funnels that would decrease the warm water that allows hurricanes to form by drawing it down the funnel to a depth of constant water temperature.

Again my recollection was some level of testing and modeling had been done.

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2018, 07:55 AM
The track is looking better this morning for this New Bern resident. The eye is expected to stay off shore, and drift further south of us until landfall. That keeps us out of the dangerous northeast corridor, or at least in the proximity of it we were expecting to be, and reduces our rain amount. We were looking at over 20", and now we are a more manageable 12". Plus, with the southern drift, the rain won't linger over us like they were calling for.
We are still prepping for the worst (we are staying), but happy to see a little better of a forecast.

I know the folks to our south are less happy than I am, and I'm thinking of them.

camion
09-12-2018, 08:08 AM
I posted earlier about Florence visiting Florence, SC. I wasn't expecting it to happen, but the current track comes pretty close. Sunday morning 2 AM we pretty much have a Florence confluence.

Coincidentally the predicted rainfall for my area, Greenville, SC is up from 2" to around 4". Still that's minor compared to the coast and other areas further east.

budwom
09-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Contractor grade ones that are very loud are what you are thinking of. budwom referred to portable generators being ~$1000. These are smaller and quieter and more expensive as a result. Honda 2000 series is the most popular with campers and RV owners for that reason.

Depends on your situation. When I was in Georgia, my power panel was situated in a way that I could quite easily install a junction box on the exterior wall directly behind it. That allowed me to plug the generator in with a custom made 220V cord and power any circuit in the house. You do have to have a main disconnect breaker so you don't try to power up your neighbors house as well. Then you have to watch the neighbors to find out when the power comes back on.

You do need an electrician to do it if you don't have the background to do it yourself.

yeah, several things:
1) depending upon what you want to be running in your house (for us, water pump, furnace, fridge are essentials) you need enough starting amps* to get everything running. I promise you you won't find a decent quality generator to do this for much less than a thousand bucks...there are available charts to show you how your requirements translate into what size generator. Mine is a Sears, pretty basic, rolls out the door.
2) if you don't have an electrician hook it up properly, you'd better have your homeowner's insurance fully paid up, because it's VERY dangerous to hook up to the grid improperly...if the lineman restoring service is down the road and you can't see him, you can fry him...power companies will be happy to discuss the importance of this, it's not trivial and it's a genuine serious consideration.

* I need quite a few starting amps to get stuff up and running, but once running I use a pretty small % of the generator's capacity...

HereBeforeCoachK
09-12-2018, 09:16 AM
yeah, several things:
1) depending upon what you want to be running in your house (for us, water pump, furnace, fridge are essentials) you need enough starting amps* to get everything running. ..

Yeah, there's gen sets that handle only the fridge, freezer and a couple fans.....and there are systems that run HVAC systems and really the entire house. You can spend 500, or 10 thou.

rsvman
09-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Looking a bit better for us, too, here in SE Virginia. Flooding is still a major concern. If it makes that turn to the south, though, that will help us a lot. Norfolk floods all the time, even with an inch or two of rain. My house is only 20 miles from the Atlantic, but we are in flood zone D, so I am hoping we won't take on water (ur side yard will turn into a lake, for sure, but as long as water doesn't come up into the house I'm OK with it).

budwom
09-12-2018, 10:28 AM
who says hurricanes aren't smart? Looks like Florence is hanging a looey, might be homing in on Florence, SC?

PackMan97
09-12-2018, 10:46 AM
yeah, several things:
1) depending upon what you want to be running in your house (for us, water pump, furnace, fridge are essentials) you need enough starting amps* to get everything running. I promise you you won't find a decent quality generator to do this for much less than a thousand bucks...there are available charts to show you how your requirements translate into what size generator. Mine is a Sears, pretty basic, rolls out the door.

Yup! You need to go around to all your appliances and check out their starting amps and running amps. Both are different and generators are rated for both. You can have enough juice to power everything, but all of a sudden the fridge and AC decide to power on at the same time and you are back in the dark. Oops. ;)

budwom
09-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Yup! You need to go around to all your appliances and check out their starting amps and running amps. Both are different and generators are rated for both. You can have enough juice to power everything, but all of a sudden the fridge and AC decide to power on at the same time and you are back in the dark. Oops. ;)

I checked my generator out, it's got 5600 watt power, 8600 starting amps...does not work hard at all when up and running, but as you say, when the water pump and furnace crank up, there's some demand there..

gus
09-12-2018, 12:43 PM
I can’t recall if it was Gladwell’s original Freakonomics or SuperFreakonomics ...

neither? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Gladwell)

Dubner (http://freakonomics.com/2011/09/06/the-hurricane-vaccine/) discussed the "Salter Sink" in SuperFreakonomics (http://freakonomics.com/2012/11/06/another-look-at-an-unorthodox-hurricane-prevention-idea/).

Acymetric
09-12-2018, 12:52 PM
neither? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Gladwell)

Dubner (http://freakonomics.com/2011/09/06/the-hurricane-vaccine/) discussed the "Salter Sink" in SuperFreakonomics (http://freakonomics.com/2012/11/06/another-look-at-an-unorthodox-hurricane-prevention-idea/).

I assumed the SuperFreakonomics link was what he was referring to when I found it last night. I get the concept at the individual level, but am unconvinced at their estimates of the kind of deployment scale that would be useful or necessary to actual change hurricane formation. I also saw something similar except that they inject bubbles at the lower depths which carry up cooler water to the surface as they rise. Same skepticism of required deployment scale applies.

rsvman
09-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Ii thought we could just drop a nuclear bomb into the center of one of these babies while it's out over the Atlantic. That would disrupt the circular motion, right?

Can't imagine any possible downsides......:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
09-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Ii thought we could just drop a nuclear bomb into the center of one of these babies while it's out over the Atlantic. That would disrupt the circular motion, right?

Can't imagine any possible downsides...:rolleyes:

Radioactive Sharknado?

BigWayne
09-12-2018, 03:12 PM
It's starting...

Station 41002 (LLNR 830) - SOUTH HATTERAS - 225 NM South of Cape Hatteras (https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41002)

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/plot_met.php?station=41002&meas=wvht&uom=E&time_diff=-4&time_label=EDT

weezie
09-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Whatever happened to sunshine, crisp air and pretty blue skies?

OldPhiKap
09-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Whatever happened to sunshine, crisp air and pretty blue skies?

Go back to Woodstock, damn hippie!

(obviously, j/k)

elvis14
09-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Go back to Woodstock, damn hippie!

(obviously, j/k)

LOL, someone might need to get weezie off of OPK's lawn!!! :)

Devilwin
09-12-2018, 05:26 PM
If you live at the coast and are expecting a package from Fedex Ground, we will begin staging your stuff at our facility in Kernersville. We will get it to you as soon as humanly possible...

OZZIE4DUKE
09-12-2018, 05:30 PM
yeah, several things:
2) if you don't have an electrician hook it up properly, you'd better have your homeowner's insurance fully paid up, because it's VERY dangerous to hook up to the grid improperly...if the lineman restoring service is down the road and you can't see him, you can fry him...power companies will be happy to discuss the importance of this, it's not trivial and it's a genuine serious consideration.

* I need quite a few starting amps to get stuff up and running, but once running I use a pretty small % of the generator's capacity...

Two things:
1. Hire a licensed electrician to install your home generator and hook it up with a properly rated Transfer Switch, whether manual or automatic (as supplied on larger home generators).
2. Hire a licensed electrician as recommended in #1. It's money well spent. It's much cheaper than fighting your insurance company trying to collect after you burned down your house or killed someone.

I have experience sizing and selling home generators (from a previous life). Bigger is better. And power quality also matters. Cheap generators will fry your microprocessor based electronics (and appliances!) with bad power - bad voltage control, bad frequency control, bad harmonics. Oh, you don't know what harmonics are? Better hire an electrician!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Two things:
Hire a licensed electrician as recommended in #1. It's money well spent. It's much cheaper than fighting your insurance company trying to collect after you burned down your house or killed someone.

Cheap generators will fry your microprocessor based electronics (and appliances!) with bad power - bad voltage control, bad frequency control, bad harmonics.

Hah, good advice, although unless you have financial motives to torch your own house, you would collect on an unintentional fire (I was in insurance in a previous life).

As for the microprocessor based devices, would their surge protection boxes help this problem?

BigWayne
09-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Hah, good advice, although unless you have financial motives to torch your own house, you would collect on an unintentional fire (I was in insurance in a previous life).

As for the microprocessor based devices, would their surge protection boxes help this problem?

Short answer is, no.

Surge protector is looking to prevent voltages much higher than 110V coming through.

All microprocessor chips run on DC voltage of 5V or lower. All equipment containing these circuits require a AC to DC converter to be in place. These are designed based on the expected characteristics of normal AC power as you normally get it. The power out of generators can be significantly less consistent and reliable than what you get from the power company. A lot of your equipment can still use it OK, but depending on the quality of the DC to AC converters, you could have problems.

Here's an image showing the most common difference.

https://chainsawjournal-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/pure-sine-wave-vs-modified-sine-wave-Yamaha-EF2400iSHC.jpg

-jk
09-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Short answer is, no.

Surge protector is looking to prevent voltages much higher than 110V coming through.

All microprocessor chips run on DC voltage of 5V or lower. All equipment containing these circuits require a AC to DC converter to be in place. These are designed based on the expected characteristics of normal AC power as you normally get it. The power out of generators can be significantly less consistent and reliable than what you get from the power company. A lot of your equipment can still use it OK, but depending on the quality of the DC to AC converters, you could have problems.

Here's an image showing the most common difference.

https://chainsawjournal-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/pure-sine-wave-vs-modified-sine-wave-Yamaha-EF2400iSHC.jpg

I just ordered a new receiver. Was that a mistake?

-jk

Bostondevil
09-12-2018, 08:56 PM
I came down to Durham in October 2016 to go to my high school reunion and to go to a Duke football game with my dad. We planned to stop by the DBR tailgate tent too. The reunion was cancelled due to Hurricane Matthew and although the football game went on, Dad and I opted not to attend.

I have plans to come down to Durham next weekend to attend Duke's Homecoming on the 22nd with my dad. I have told them that if everything is flooded and they have no power, I'm not coming. I know that I'm no Zaphod Beeblebrox, but I can't help feeling that it's all my fault. I apologize to all the residents of both North and South Carolina. I should probably stop trying to attend Duke football games.

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2018, 10:07 PM
We planned to stop by the DBR tailgate tent too.

Where are they located?

PackMan97
09-12-2018, 10:30 PM
Just a heads up for Amazon.com customers. Do not use them to purchase items in advance of a hurricane/storm. We ordered some emergency preparedness items on Sunday and again very early Monday morning, set for delivery today. Turns out they have decided not to deliver any more packages, and we didn't find out about it until 9pm tonight. So not cool, Amazon. So not cool.

Apparently they shutdown NC operations at 6p today because umm...I'm not sure why.

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2018, 10:33 PM
Just a heads up for Amazon.com customers. Do not use them to purchase items in advance of a hurricane/storm. We ordered some emergency preparedness items on Sunday and again very early Monday morning, set for delivery today. Turns out they have decided not to deliver any more packages, and we didn't find out about it until 9pm tonight. So not cool, Amazon. So not cool.

Apparently they shutdown NC operations at 6p today because umm...I'm not sure why.

There is a valid reason for this. The same reason that all the Lowes stores in the storm's path closed up at 6PM Tuesday night. Closing allows employees that are in the path time to go home and prepare themselves, and evacuate if they choose to do so.
I don't know if that is why Amazon shut down, but it is likely, and makes sense. There were very few local businesses open here in New Bern today. Walmart closed at 5.

Edit...also several airports are closed, so that factors in as well.

devildeac
09-12-2018, 10:34 PM
Where are they located?

Well played ;).

devildeac
09-12-2018, 10:38 PM

We had a delivery from them recently. They left it on our uncovered front porch (we also have a readily visible covered "side porch") when rain was forecast and returned to a soggy box which contained a baby shower gift for our son and his wife next month. To Amazon's credit, they're replacing it at no cost for gift or shipping.

PackMan97
09-12-2018, 10:39 PM
There is a valid reason for this. The same reason that all the Lowes stores in the storm's path closed up at 6PM Tuesday night. Closing allows employees that are in the path time to go home and prepare themselves, and evacuate if they choose to do so.
I don't know if that is why Amazon shut down, but it is likely, and makes sense. There were very few local businesses open here in New Bern today. Walmart closed at 5.

Edit...also several airports are closed, so that factors in as well.

I'm not talking New Bern, I'm talking deliveries to Raleigh. Heck, Guildford County schools are open tomorrow, but Amazon is not. Besides, doesn't everybody else have to work? Do you think Lowe's in Greensboro closed at 6p yesterday?

dudog84
09-12-2018, 11:02 PM
Appears to be weakening, thank goodness. Now projected landfall as a Category 2. Not great, but just a day or two ago it was projected to hit as a Category 4. About as good of news as you could expect. Everyone be safe up there.

budwom
09-13-2018, 08:17 AM
Appears to be weakening, thank goodness. Now projected landfall as a Category 2. Not great, but just a day or two ago it was projected to hit as a Category 4. About as good of news as you could expect. Everyone be safe up there.

disappointment on Weather Channel is palpable...

rsvman
09-13-2018, 08:36 AM

Lol. So true, unfortunately.

camion
09-13-2018, 08:42 AM
So it looks like it isn't going to be the storm of the century of the decade. It will just be the storm of the century of the year?

How many people does TWC have deployed to stand out in the hurricane to tell us not to stand out in the hurricane?

Indoor66
09-13-2018, 08:59 AM
So it looks like it isn't going to be the storm of the century of the decade. It will just be the storm of the century of the year?

How many people does TWC have deployed to stand out in the hurricane to tell us not to stand out in the hurricane?

Too many doom sayers. Is this why patience is a virtue?

Bostondevil
09-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Where are they located?

I meant you, actually. So not the DBR tent - what do you call yourselves?

fan345678
09-13-2018, 09:53 AM
A cousin who lives on West Campus just told me that UNC's entire athletic department showed up at Duke this morning.
Apparently they were told to seek shelter in classrooms.

devildeac
09-13-2018, 10:23 AM
A cousin who lives on West Campus just told me that UNC's entire athletic department showed up at Duke this morning.

I'm surprised they knew what one was.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2018, 10:24 AM

I'm surprised they knew what one was.

Truth be told, the athletes didn't show up but their tutors marked them as "present."

moonpie23
09-13-2018, 10:27 AM
just curious......was Greg Fischel in any way connected to the prediction that this was going to be the "STORM OF THE CENTURY"???

asking for 300,000 friends...

Indoor66
09-13-2018, 10:30 AM
just curious...was Greg Fischel in any way connected to the prediction that this was going to be the "STORM OF THE CENTURY"???

It always is until is isn't.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 10:34 AM

The problem with this storm is the potential stall......a Cat 2 for many many hours might be worse than a rapidly moving 3 or 4....along with Biblical rainfalls. And of course the storm surge is not going to ramp down necessarily in conjunction with the reduction in category.

But yeah, things look better than they did.

tteettimes
09-13-2018, 10:59 AM
just curious...was Greg Fischel in any way connected to the prediction that this was going to be the "STORM OF THE CENTURY"???

asking for 300,000 friends...

He must change pants every thirty minutes

BigWayne
09-13-2018, 11:07 AM
The problem with this storm is the potential stall...a Cat 2 for many many hours might be worse than a rapidly moving 3 or 4...along with Biblical rainfalls. And of course the storm surge is not going to ramp down necessarily in conjunction with the reduction in category.

But yeah, things look better than they did.

Yes it is looking now like the biggest threat is from the potential rainfall. One thing I found this morning that is odd is if you go to wunderground.com and look at the wundermap windstream feature. Last night, this continued to show the usual circular storm pattern, but today it looks completely different. Instead of an eye feature, it looks like a long weatherfront with wind coming from each side towards a line.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 11:25 AM
He must change pants every thirty minutes

I believe he initially said there was no chance the storm was coming to the mid Atlantic.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 11:40 AM
We have bugged out of Beaufort and are staying in Raleigh - at my daughter's house - as she is in the UK for a couple weeks. So my wife is at Trader Joes getting 40 dollars worth of groceries, and the cashier asks how she's doing. My wife reports that she's stressed - evacuating here from Beaufort. The cashier makes up an excuse, goes and gets the manager, and the manager told my wife to put her card away.....that she was not going to be allowed to pay for her groceries today.

(I'm only wishing she had gotten 200 dollars worth).

J/K: really neat gesture. :)

tteettimes
09-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Elizabeth Gardner has been on so far....great monitoring and commentary
She isn’t disillusioned about being a comedian or some famous celebrity
Howdy Doody will actuate the mute button soon enough

Wish all to be safe

IrishDevil
09-13-2018, 01:40 PM
I believe he initially said there was no chance the storm was coming to the mid Atlantic.

In all fairness, the consensus is that Florence's unique path has no historical precedent (https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-09-12-hurricane-florence-weird-hurricane-tropical-storm-tracks):

Late last week Florence was in a spot that's typically far enough north for a hurricane to curve out to sea and not impact the United States. In fact, no tropical storm or hurricane in recorded history has passed within 100 miles of Florence's location last Friday and still made a United States landfall.

I tend not to put much stock in weather predictions in general and would not let a meteorologist who was right more than 50% of the time in any casino I operated, but Florence's path was a first, so that particular error may be forgivable.

Tom B.
09-13-2018, 02:34 PM
There's a live feed on Youtube from a camera mounted on the Frying Pan Shoals light tower. It's...something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

The American flag on the tower is taking a beating, but still hanging tough.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 02:44 PM
In all fairness, the consensus is that Florence's unique path has no historical precedent (https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-09-12-hurricane-florence-weird-hurricane-tropical-storm-tracks):

I tend not to put much stock in weather predictions in general and would not let a meteorologist who was right more than 50% of the time in any casino I operated, but Florence's path was a first, so that particular error may be forgivable.

And in more fairness- no one has gotten this sucker right yet.....no one forecast this weakening for example.

dudog84
09-13-2018, 04:56 PM
She's barely a 2 now. Seriously, we Floridians are rolling our eyes at you now.

But still wanting you to be safe. Even a 1 should not be taken lightly.

Devilwin
09-13-2018, 04:56 PM
And in more fairness- no one has gotten this sucker right yet....no one forecast this weakening for example.
Joe Bastardi of Weatherbell eight days ago predicted the Cape Fear area was ground zero. He also said he would be a cat three or less..He nailed the landfall, but it remains to be seen about all this movement southwest.

aimo
09-13-2018, 05:19 PM
It may have gone down in category number, but that won't lessen the rain and storm surge effects. It will still be really bad at NC coast and flood-prone areas inland. Especially areas that are still trying to recover from Matthew two years ago.

IrishDevil
09-13-2018, 05:24 PM
It may have gone down in category number, but that won't lessen the rain and storm surge effects. It will still be really bad at NC coast and flood-prone areas inland. Especially areas that are still trying to recover from Matthew two years ago.

Also, although the storm has weakened, its windfield has expanded - if only it were as simple as "the lower the category, the less danger"...

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 05:31 PM
Also, although the storm has weakened, its windfield has expanded - it only it were as simple as "the lower the category, the less danger"...

True dat.....as slow as this sucker is moving.....it's gonna blow at Cat 2/Cat 1 for many many hours....dumping rain all that time. Wind and rain is cumulative in the damage it causes.....time matters.

duke79
09-13-2018, 05:41 PM
We have bugged out of Beaufort and are staying in Raleigh - at my daughter's house - as she is in the UK for a couple weeks. So my wife is at Trader Joes getting 40 dollars worth of groceries, and the cashier asks how she's doing. My wife reports that she's stressed - evacuating here from Beaufort. The cashier makes up an excuse, goes and gets the manager, and the manager told my wife to put her card away....that she was not going to be allowed to pay for her groceries today.

(I'm only wishing she had gotten 200 dollars worth).

J/K: really neat gesture. :)

Yes, VERY nice gesture! (and I'm guessing if the bill WERE $200, he might not have comped you the groceries!)

jimsumner
09-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Floyd was a cat-2 when it made landfall and it caused catastrophic flooding. The Saffir-Simpson scale only measures one of a number of variables and is thus limited as a predictor.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-13-2018, 06:34 PM

I was born and raised in FL. They roll through fast down there. Not like this one. This storm is slow moving and the shape of the NC/SC coastline makes it worse. This is no joke.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 06:44 PM

Come on now.....that's a bit harsh. My fifth generation Florida native wife is not rolling her eyes....and BTW, if the forecast was over blown, that's not our fault.

And as others have said, the Saffir Simpson category is but one metric of a storm. This one is huge, very slow moving, so the wind and rain will just go and go and go.....

BigWayne
09-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Floyd was a cat-2 when it made landfall and it caused catastrophic flooding. The Saffir-Simpson scale only measures one of a number of variables and is thus limited as a predictor.

The Weatherbell.com website has his own adjusted scale to gauge the total "power" of a hurricane. For Florence, because of the size and rain factors, he has it rated higher than what just the wind speed/SS scale would give you.

dudog84
09-13-2018, 08:19 PM
C'mon, y'all know I was just trying to keep it light. It's like there's no such thing as minor surgery when it's happening to you.

I was more jibing the 'Storm of the Century' hysteria that some (not on this board, the prognosticators) were terrorizing people with. But maybe they do that to make sure people evacuate. Or maybe they do it to keep people tuned in.

Indoor66
09-13-2018, 08:26 PM
But maybe they do that to make sure people evacuate. Or maybe they do it to keep people tuned in.

Call Cantore. I'm sure he can provide a definitive explanation and clarification on both of these points.

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2018, 09:25 PM
New Bern is experiencing some major flooding. Has been windy all day. Personally, we still have power, and I am super surprised at that. It has tried hard to go out a few times. Most of my friends here are in the dark. One friend who lives on the river has evacuated to her second floor with her husband.
We are now in the 20"-30" rain zone, so we know tonight is just the beginning of a long few days.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-13-2018, 10:17 PM
C'mon, y'all know I was just trying to keep it light. It's like there's no such thing as minor surgery when it's happening to you.

I was more jibing the 'Storm of the Century' hysteria that some (not on this board, the prognosticators) were terrorizing people with. But maybe they do that to make sure people evacuate. Or maybe they do it to keep people tuned in.
I just think it’s hard to “keep it light” when the flooding is predicted to be akin to a Cat 5 hurricane hitting. People are going to lose everything, though hopefully not their lives.

aimo
09-13-2018, 10:26 PM

If the storm was hitting as predicted just a few days ago, it very well could have been the storm of the century. I was terrified. am trying not to relax too much b/c anything can still happen with wind and rain.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 10:31 PM
I just think it’s hard to “keep it light” when the flooding is predicted to be akin to a Cat 5 hurricane hitting. People are going to lose everything, though hopefully not their lives.

Yes, homes and small businesses will likely be destroyed...families will still be displaced as Christmas rolls around...all kinds of collateral life damage results from these things. Hopefully no loss of life.

BigWayne
09-14-2018, 03:20 AM
New Bern is experiencing some major flooding. Has been windy all day. Personally, we still have power, and I am super surprised at that. It has tried hard to go out a few times. Most of my friends here are in the dark. One friend who lives on the river has evacuated to her second floor with her husband.
We are now in the 20"-30" rain zone, so we know tonight is just the beginning of a long few days.

Was wondering how you were doing. Map watching so far tonight shows Jacksonville to New Bern as getting the most rain so far. Wilmington itself seems to be getting lucky to this point from being on the left side of the storm.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2018, 07:24 AM
Was wondering how you were doing. Map watching so far tonight shows Jacksonville to New Bern as getting the most rain so far. Wilmington itself seems to be getting lucky to this point from being on the left side of the storm.

New Bern's flooding is due to how the wind pushed water into the Pamlico Sound and Neuse River. The rain triggered flooding hasn't even manifest yet.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 09:06 AM
Thought I would pass along that CB&B sent out an "I am safe" marker on Facebook this morning (around 8 am or so).

left_hook_lacey
09-14-2018, 09:32 AM
Power been out since about midnight last night. The kids are starting to panic. 😂

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Power been out since about midnight last night. The kids are starting to panic. ��

How can life exist without television and video games?

(Best wishes to the LHLacey family)

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2018, 10:23 AM

Prolly more to do with internet and air conditioning.......one reason we evacuated to Raleigh. Our place is out of power, may or may not be underwater from the surge.....may or may not go underwater in days when the Neuse reverses and rolls back the surge that flooded New Bern.

In the meantime, we are high and (relatively) dry in 'the capital' (a little Mayberry lingo)....with internet, phone, AC, the ability to cook.

left_hook_lacey
09-14-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanks OPK. Yes, their phones and tablets are dying, and the lack of ac is testing their resolve. 😂

Gonna let them stress out a little more before I introduce them to the generator. 😋

CrazyNotCrazie
09-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Prolly more to do with internet and air conditioning....one reason we evacuated to Raleigh. Our place is out of power, may or may not be underwater from the surge....may or may not go underwater in days when the Neuse reverses and rolls back the surge that flooded New Bern.

In the meantime, we are high and (relatively) dry in 'the capital' (a little Mayberry lingo)...with internet, phone, AC, the ability to cook.

So you're hanging out with Bill Walton? Hope he brought the good stuff...

Glad to hear you are safe and sound. Good luck with your home and I hope everyone else is also safe and unharmed.

devildeac
09-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Thanks OPK. Yes, their phones and tablets are dying, and the lack of ac is testing their resolve. 😂

Gonna let them stress out a little more before I introduce them to the generator. 😋

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch. ;)

moonpie23
09-14-2018, 10:44 AM
slight wind, some rain in cary nc........let's see if that changes...

BigWayne
09-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Lots of weather stations that were the first ones to show the massive rain yesterday are no longer online, presumably because of power loss.
This one near Jacksonville is still up as of this point and is reporting ~35" of rain already. (https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNCJACKS28&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history)

Edge of the eye went by it ~5-6AM with a minimum pressure of 29.1in/985mb

devildeac
09-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Raleigh report:

Winds: 20-25 MPH with gusts to 40-45 (guessing)
Rain: started about 30 minutes ago as steady and light to moderate; Mrs. dd and I did complete a 90 minute walk from about 0800-0930 with a few drops falling.
Ground/yards/streets: few leaves, small branches and isolated large dead limbs have fallen
Temp: 77
Humidity: 91% (LOL; it's raining)
Dew point: 74
Hourly forecast: 80-100% chance of rain for the next 40 days: temps in the low to mid 70s

Bostondevil
09-14-2018, 11:22 AM
Report from southern Durham County (I just called my dad) - it's not raining although it is windy. They still have power.

Acymetric
09-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Report from southern Durham County (I just called my dad) - it's not raining although it is windy. They still have power.

Yeah, there will be some power outages here from downed trees/limbs/lines from the wind, but we're basically just getting a bad storm in the triangle, not any kind of major hurricane event.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2018, 11:49 AM
Raleigh report:

Hourly forecast: 80-100% chance of rain for the next 40 days: temps in the low to mid 70s

Next 40 days? Where's Noah?

ALSO: yeah, Raleigh just kind of nasty weather....

howardlander
09-14-2018, 12:06 PM

I'm in North Durham. A few gusts and not much rain. Our local power company is Piedmont Electric Coop: they have an outage viewer. Not many people out in their area.

Howard

Reilly
09-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Thought I would pass along that CB&B sent out an "I am safe" marker on Facebook this morning (around 8 am or so).

Good to hear. Was he riding atop a large grill that was smoking meat as it floated down a raging river, with one spatula raised in defiance to the elements?

Tripping William
09-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Nothing much to report so far farther inland. Not surprisingly, all we have as of now are gray skies, humid air, and more wind than normal. But this thing is just getting started, unfortunately.

devildeac
09-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Good to hear. Was he riding atop a large grill that was smoking meat as it floated down a raging river, with one spatula raised in defiance to the elements?

Not quite. He sent me a photo about 2 hours ago taken from his guest room with the TV on showing the current rainfall map from various areas in eastern NC. :D:p

Bob Green
09-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Weather conditions in Hampton Roads are mild with a little rain and a little wind with emphasis on the word little. I am not complaining. Good luck to those south of me in North Carolina.

moonpie23
09-14-2018, 02:40 PM
power at the house in cary out now......downtown raleigh just rainy and windy......still have power so far....

DukieInKansas
09-14-2018, 02:51 PM

Great image! The pictures I saw just had a perculator on a propane tabletop grill and water in the street not over the soles of a pair of berkenstocks. But that was several hours ago.

Bostondevil
09-14-2018, 03:52 PM

NO - but he was out walking around in a flooded street filming. The FB posts are all yelling at him to get inside.

rsvman
09-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Weather conditions in Hampton Roads are mild with a little rain and a little wind with emphasis on the word little. I am not complaining. Good luck to those south of me in North Carolina.

Yep. We dodged this one essentially completely.

BigWayne
09-14-2018, 06:10 PM

If the storm is not newsworthy enough where you are, improvise. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFh-X1bv4P0)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFh-X1bv4P0

Newton_14
09-14-2018, 08:56 PM
All good in Granville County. We didn't even get in the outer bands range until a couple of hours ago. I also just texted with CB&B. He is good for now. His street is flooded though and he is only about a half a block or so away from houses that have some level of flooding.

Rant alert! I come from a family of first responders who sacrifice for others all the time, so NOTHING irritates me more than watching those that are out trying to help those truly in need in this storm, have to go "rescue" some idiot that intentionally drove their car into high water. As soon as they get those fools out and to higher ground they should cuff them and let them sit in the city/county jail until the storm is gone and roads are dry again. They obviously cannot be trusted to not repeat the behavior, and the first responders have real victims to assist! It is even worse when the driver is just out riding around to "check things out", but unless someone in the car is in dire need of medical assistance, or trying to escape danger or something, there is zero reason/excuse to drive into the water.

They showed a guy today that tried to drive a Dodge Charger through a flooded road. Idiot. Once the water reached the Air Intake it was game over. He had to be "rescued" of course, and hours later they showed his car still sitting there in the road. Hopefully the towing bill will be very large and that won't compare to the mechanic's bill to get all that water out of the intake and fuel system.

I'm sorry but I just have zero sympathy for the people that do this.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2018, 09:56 PM
I saw a photo of the Highway 70 bridge in New Bern...east bound...lost a lane to the storm. I wonder if any east bound traffic will be able to go. For those of you out of the area, this is the way Raleigh Durham connects to Beaufort, Morehead, Atlantic Beach, etc. Depending on Highway 58 from Kinston to Emerald Isle/Swansboro area...and then 24 back north...a major coastal area may be isolated from its major population feeder area. For that matter, Kinston may get totally flooded.

The wind died down, but the storm is still there, still raining hard...NC's total damage may be astronomical yet. The economic impact of isolating RDU from the Crystal Coast would be huge, even at this time of year.

DU82
09-14-2018, 10:24 PM
I saw a photo of the Highway 70 bridge in New Bern...east bound...lost a lane to the storm. I wonder if any east bound traffic will be able to go. For those of you out of the area, this is the way Raleigh Durham connects to Beaufort, Morehead, Atlantic Beach, etc. Depending on Highway 58 from Kinston to Emerald Isle/Swansboro area...and then 24 back north...a major coastal area may be isolated from its major population feeder area. For that matter, Kinston may get totally flooded.

The wind died down, but the storm is still there, still raining hard...NC's total damage may be astronomical yet. The economic impact of isolating RDU from the Crystal Coast would be huge, even at this time of year.

The big bridge on US 70 appears to be open, but US 70 is closed just west of New Bern due to flooding. Most of the major roads in New Bern, including US 17 and NC 55 are closed.

All bridges to barrier islands were closed on Thursday morning. Some on the Outer Banks may reopen tomorrow, but I understand NC 12 was dealing with Overcash.

Go to tims.ncdot.gov/tims for the latest road conditions.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 08:10 AM
The big bridge on US 70 appears to be open, but US 70 is closed just west of New Bern due to flooding. Most of the major roads in New Bern, including US 17 and NC 55 are closed.

All bridges to barrier islands were closed on Thursday morning. Some on the Outer Banks may reopen tomorrow, but I understand NC 12 was dealing with Overcash..

I hope they can keep at least one east bound lane open on the bridge...or maybe the damage is isolated to just one small area. Another complication for us, and others around us, is our location on the ICW very near the 101 bridge. 101 from Havelock to the ICW is a mess, and also from the ICW down into the town of Beaufort too. Not sure when we can get back in, but it's nerve racking not to be able to see your own property and house.

aimo
09-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Just a couple of notes on the cover story about the hurricane. First, the fat lady ain't singing, yet. Here in Durham, we are still in for a lot of rain and wind gusts that can still bring down trees. Folks are letting their guards down, and that is not good. Second, New Bern is on the Neuse River and Trent River, not the Cape Fear River. Cape Fear affects the sandhills, like Fayetteville, and Wilmington. New Bern is the second oldest town in NC after Bath. It breaks my heart to think what is happening there. Also, Oriental, which is right near where I went to summer camp, got over 20 inches of rain just through yesterday evening. That also breaks my heart. I love our NC coast, and we are resilient. Let's make plans to visit these places when they are back up and running. They will need our tourist dollars.

JasonEvans
09-15-2018, 10:03 AM
If the storm is not newsworthy enough where you are, improvise. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFh-X1bv4P0)

The Weather Channel issued a statement to explain that video. It is one of the lamest excuses ever!

“It’s important to note that the two individuals in the background are walking on concrete, and Mike Seidel is trying to maintain his footing on wet grass, after reporting on-air until 1:00 a.m. ET this morning and is undoubtedly exhausted.”

-Jason "this storm is a rain and storm surge event, not a wind event, so Seidel's over-acting is really pointless" Evans

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 10:05 AM
New Bern is the second oldest town in NC after Bath. It breaks my heart to think what is happening there. Also, Oriental, which is right near where I went to summer camp, got over 20 inches of rain just through yesterday evening..

I'm betting that camp - and I'm pretty sure when I worked at the same camp I spent numerous nights off at the Oriental Marina bar - is a mess today too.

DU82
09-15-2018, 11:41 AM
I hope they can keep at least one east bound lane open on the bridge...or maybe the damage is isolated to just one small area. Another complication for us, and others around us, is our location on the ICW very near the 101 bridge. 101 from Havelock to the ICW is a mess, and also from the ICW down into the town of Beaufort too. Not sure when we can get back in, but it's nerve racking not to be able to see your own property and house.

Flooded and damaged are two different things. Although the first can certainly lead to the second. I don’t expect the big bridge in New Bern will be a problem once the water recedes, but the roads themselves may be a problem. I noticed a few weeks ago that US 70 between New Bern and Kinston had some uneven spots from previous flood events.

NC 101 is closed from Havelock to Beaufort due to flooding. It appears that US 70 from Morehead City to Beaufort is open, although my guess is that there’s more flooded roads in Beaufort than what’s being reported on TIMS.

I-40 is closedin Warsaw heading to Wilmington. I-40 at I-140 near Wilmington looks OK on the traffic cam.

I-95 is closed in a couple of areas between I-40 and the SC line.

Here in south Durham, it looks like a typical rain storm with some small branches and leaves on the street, no real problems. In Wake, I know my office in Garner was out of power yesterday, (near I-40 and US 70 Bus.) but no damage. A difference of about 25 miles made the difference.

BigWayne
09-15-2018, 12:08 PM
The Weather Channel issued a statement to explain that video. It is one of the lamest excuses ever!

-Jason "this storm is a rain and storm surge event, not a wind event, so Seidel's over-acting is really pointless" Evans

It's fairly obvious that the difference between Seidel and the other guys is which ones know they are on TV.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Flooded and damaged are two different things. Although the first can certainly lead to the second. I don’t expect the big bridge in New Bern will be a problem once the water recedes, but the roads themselves may be a problem. I noticed a few weeks ago that US 70 between New Bern and Kinston had some uneven spots from previous flood events.

The bridge in New Bern suffered a partial collapse of one east bound lane. It would force closure of one lane for part of the bridge at a minimum....the only good news (from the photo I saw) is that it wasn't a collapse that stretched for that many linear feet.

As for the bad pavement between Kinston and New Bern? That's not related to flood. That's poor workmanship and/or material on the very recent resurfacing. Some contractor should be a huge performance bond loss.

Indoor66
09-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Anybody have a report on what the conditions are in Durham and Greensboro?

DU82
09-15-2018, 04:21 PM

Durham is fine, rain storm, essentially. I’m sure if you look hard enough, you’ll find a minor problem that the media would play up as a disaster.

Tripping William
09-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Durham is fine, rain storm, essentially. I’m sure if you look hard enough, you’ll find a minor problem that the media would play up as a disaster.

Ditto W-S, so far. Guessing G’boro is similar.

PackMan97
09-15-2018, 04:38 PM

Last night in Raleigh, they were reporting on the same tree being down for about 20 minutes. Definitely not much of an issue here.

Indoor66
09-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the reports. Now back to your regularly scheduled football game. 😊

Devilwin
09-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Misty in Thomasville. Light wind. Nothing to see here.

left_hook_lacey
09-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Well, after many games of Monopoly, chess, charades, jigzaw puzzles and pictionary, our power has been restored. During the time since it went out Thursday night, I was able to briefly see the kids morph into 80's kids and it was a hoot. Now, only an hour back into the world of wifi, we have lost them again. 😁

God bless all the linesmen(and linesladies) that are out there working behind the scenes to get everything back to normal.

duketaylor
09-15-2018, 10:29 PM
whenever the streets are clear enough to re-stock one of the stores. Was scheduled to go down tomorrow night, now put on hold. Anyone in the area that can give me an idea of how bad it is today/tonight? Thx!!

Newton_14
09-15-2018, 10:40 PM
whenever the streets are clear enough to re-stock one of the stores. Was scheduled to go down tomorrow night, now put on hold. Anyone in the area that can give me an idea of how bad it is today/tonight? Thx!!
The flooding is getting worse in that area not better due to the enormous amounts of rain that is still falling. The storm slowed to a crawl today (2mph) and is still bringing in a ton of water off the Atlantic. Many roads flooded south and east of the triangle.

Newton_14
09-15-2018, 10:52 PM
There are no words.....

The looters threatened to kill the WRAL Reporter and Cameraman and fired a gun as the WRAL folks were getting back into their news truck. Disgusting.

https://www.wral.com/weather/hurricanes/video/17846454/

DU82
09-15-2018, 10:54 PM
The flooding is getting worse in that area not better due to the enormous amounts of rain that is still falling. The storm slowed to a crawl today (2mph) and is still bringing in a ton of water off the Atlantic. Many roads flooded south and east of the triangle.

I was trying to help a friend’s friend get out of Fayetteville. They’re near Reilly and Morganton. Took them an hour but didn’t even reach Spring Lake before they turned back because of traffic. With 95 closed, a lot of traffic heading towards Bragg and NC 87. Water is rising as well. They’re going to try to get out tomorrow at sunrise.

devildeac
09-15-2018, 10:54 PM

I-95 closed this afternoon from exits 65-81 and around exits 15-20. Lumber River expected to crest between 24.5 and 25 feet, breaking the record set by Hurricane Matthew 2016. Fayetteville/Lumberton with 1 and 2 day rain records, eclipsing those also set 2 years ago during Matthew. Weather Channel still predicting another 5-8" rain for the area around Fayetteville/Lumberton on Sunday, too.

Bostondevil
09-16-2018, 12:02 AM

My parents in southern Durham County have not lost power as of midnight Sunday. There have been a few fairly severe rain bands that would have been a bit dangerous to drive through but they opted to stay indoors for all of that. Durham, so far, has been spared the worst of it.

Devilwin
09-16-2018, 07:26 AM
There are no words....

The looters threatened to kill the WRAL Reporter and Cameraman and fired a gun as the WRAL folks were getting back into their news truck. Disgusting.

Every disaster sees scenes like this happening. During Katrina, even police officers were caught on camera looting.

Bob Green
09-16-2018, 08:31 AM
With I-95 closed, my primary route to Fayetteville and my Dad's house is cut off. The good news is I've spoken with him and my Sister and everyone is fine so there is no requirement for me to travel to North Carolina until next weekend when I will be headed to Durham.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-16-2018, 08:34 AM

I would wait until the waters peak and start to recede....

Bob Green
09-16-2018, 08:48 AM
I would wait until the waters peak and start to recede...

I agree. Fayetteville Observer listing 46 neighborhoods in danger of flooding:

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/20180914/list-46-fayetteville-neighborhoods-at-risk-of-flood

My neighborhood is listed but I know from constantly playing in the woods as a kid that my Dad's house is elevated above the two nearby creeks.

Ggallagher
09-16-2018, 09:13 AM
This image is from the on line USGS level sensor on the east side of Fayetteville. The chart ends at 8AM this morning so it's clear the rise hasn't begun to slow down yet.

Ggallagher
09-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Here's a link to the USGS site that will let you access the flood level sensors related to Florence.

https://stn.wim.usgs.gov/FEV/#FlorenceSep2018

left_hook_lacey
09-16-2018, 09:27 AM
There are no words....

They are just misunderstood. It's not their fault they're looting, it's the man's.

This really makes my blood boil. Add in the fact that they threatened the news people, and that the cops won't even respond because they are afraid of the optics, ah screw it. What am I saying, I might as well go loot too if they're not going to do anything about it. 🙄

HereBeforeCoachK
09-16-2018, 11:05 AM
We live in Beaufort. We are camping out at our daughter's house, house and pet sitting for her and her husband as they travel the UK....this was pre arranged, and timing quite good since we were under evacuation order in Carteret County anyway.

But we're stuck in limbo. This is how a storm can really screw up life - even for those who appeared to "escape" the worst of it. And clearly we did. Mind you, this is not a gripe, more just a review of how reality plays out. This is a learning process for us as we go through it...NOT A COMPLAINT. Just info.

Our property suffered some flooding, we can tell from photos sent by friends...but we cannot tell how much. And I don't even know how flood insurance works. I used to be a P/C insurance agent, but never dealt with the intricacies of gov flood insurance. There appears to be no wind or other general damage to our property - and all of those coverages I am familiar with. I would guess we lost two outbuildings, and maybe 10 thousand in contents, but that the main house is fine. I think. I'm not even sure the outbuildings are covered. We might get everything that was flooded replaced new, or we might be out 30 grand in un-insured costs. I just don't know.

And will we have a place to live after our daughter and her husband get back? Probably, but maybe not.

One thing I learned as an agent, it's terrible in the short term to lose it all....hard to imagine really - but oddly, often better in the long run to lose it all, in a catastrophe, because that's when the money flows freely. I hate to be a cynic, but that's how insurance and relief agencies function. Obviously I'm not talking about loss of life....that's obviously the worst tragedy. Just talking about property losses. Again, no gripe, just walking through how these things play out...for the folks who are not in the news. There are thousands in our same boat of course.

Meanwhile, Kinston, Goldsboro and New Bern seem impassable...for a day, two days, what have you....alternate routes south by way of Trenton and Emerald Isle are not passable - nor is the norther detour around New Bern. We don't know when we can get back, or what our power situation will be when we do. And our nascent business...was there damage? We can't tell til we get there. Will there be an economy in Beaufort (outside of storm repair)?

All are questions that will greatly impact our life, and the life of thousands of others, going forward. And all answers are un-knowable at this point...and will be for a few more days minimum.

Thank goodness for the Duke Baylor diversion yesterday...for three hours, I was able to get lost in something else.

YmoBeThere
09-16-2018, 11:55 AM
If the cause of loss isn't flooding, your outbuildings would be covered up to your limit under Coverage B Other Structures using Standard ISO forms. I know NC has some unique forms so not sure about those.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-16-2018, 12:30 PM
If the cause of loss isn't flooding, your outbuildings would be covered up to your limit under Coverage B Other Structures using Standard ISO forms. I know NC has some unique forms so not sure about those.

Cause of loss IS flooding....for the three out structures and the contents therein. What I read online didn't mention out structures except garages (covered) and boat houses (not covered). Ours are two storage sheds and one cottage (now used as an office). I'm guessing we're covered for the contents, but not for the out structures themselves (unless we get favorable ruling).

There was no discernible wind damage, or any other damage.

YmoBeThere
09-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Okay, looking at the NFIP forms, yeah, storage building, etc. don't appear to be covered.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2018, 12:53 PM

I had no internet, and still don't at home. (Modem got cooked, I think.) But I have it at the gallery. We have power at both home and the gallery today. Neither flooded, but there is lots of water in the crawl space at home. Not all of our neighbors were so lucky, and even further towards downtown some have lost so much.
We are both very thankful and feeling lucky to have come out of the storm so well. Thanks to all that messaged and texted during and after the storm.
Time to clean up and get back to living life as we are used to.

Indoor66
09-16-2018, 12:58 PM
I had no internet, and still don't at home. (Modem got cooked, I think.) But I have it at the gallery. We have power at both home and the gallery today. Neither flooded, but there is lots of water in the crawl space at home. Not all of our neighbors were so lucky, and even further towards downtown some have lost so much.
We are both very thankful and feeling lucky to have come out of the storm so well. Thanks to all that messaged and texted during and after the storm.

Be sure to get fans in the crawl space to ventilate and dry it out. Otherwise you may be susceptible to mold - and rather quickly.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2018, 12:59 PM

I used to live in Atlantic Beach. For one of the more minor storms, we evacuated to a friend's sturdier house in Beaufort. When we got back, we shared stories with our neighbors that stayed in Morehead. They told us how the Weather Channel reporters tried to stop people and then get them to walk in front of the camera with their arms outstretched, as if they were fighting to walk against the wind. There was absolutely no need to do so, it was all just to make the shot seem more dramatic. The Weather Channel is run by a bunch of fear mongers. Some of that fear is justified BEFORE the storm hits; it gets people to pay attention, but when it comes in and doesn't meet expectations, they still try to make it appear as bad as they possibly can.

Bob Green
09-16-2018, 01:42 PM

Chris, it is great to see you back online posting! :cool: Lots of folks were worried about you.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Be sure to get fans in the crawl space to ventilate and dry it out. Otherwise you may be susceptible to mold - and rather quickly.

We have been pumping with our generator, but of course the pump gave up the ghost after 2 days. Once it stops raining (finally) both a new pump and fans will be running under the house. This isn't the first storm my girlfriend's house has had water under it (Irene), so she is well versed in post flooding cleanup. Whew!

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Chris, it is great to see you back online posting! :cool: Lots of folks were worried about you.

Happy to be back! I hated missing chat, and even worse hated missing watching the game yesterday, but I listened to it on my phone. Thanks GoDuke App!

Looking forward to watching the replay. :)

OldPhiKap
09-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Happy to be back! I hated missing chat, and even worse hated missing watching the game yesterday, but I listened to it on my phone. Thanks GoDuke App!

Looking forward to watching the replay. :)

My friend Chatbot says hello!

Green Wave Dukie
09-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Nothing much to report so far farther inland. Not surprisingly, all we have as of now are gray skies, humid air, and more wind than normal. But this thing is just getting started, unfortunately.

Was at the Lawrence Joel Memorial Coliseum almost all day yesterday. First time in the building's history they are using it as an emergency evacuation shelter. A Red Cross official told me it is a state wide shelter, and they are trying to be prepared for as many as 1,000 people (they had 86 as of yesterday morning). They have folks from Florida Medical Associates and local doctors helping staff it. He said the LJMC could be 'the Superdome of this storm'. That was frightening to hear.

It's still very possible the repercussions of this storm are far, far from over.

PackMan97
09-17-2018, 09:11 AM
It's still very possible the repercussions of this storm are far, far from over.

I fear the worst is yet to come along the Neuse and Cape Fear Rivers. The Neuse flooding will be very bad, but less than Matthew two years ago. That still means a lot of homes and businesses goin under water in the next few days. The Cape Fear River is going to be the worst on record and all the rain still being dumped in the Triangle and Greensboro area isn't helping.

https://abc11.com/weather/cape-fear-river-at-flood-stage-expected-to-pass-matthew/4257993/

HereBeforeCoachK
09-17-2018, 09:17 AM
I fear the worst is yet to come along the Neuse and Cape Fear Rivers. The Neuse flooding will be very bad, but less than Matthew two years ago. That still means a lot of homes and businesses goin under water in the next few days. The Cape Fear River is going to be the worst on record and all the rain still being dumped in the Triangle and Greensboro area isn't helping.

https://abc11.com/weather/cape-fear-river-at-flood-stage-expected-to-pass-matthew/4257993/

True, by way of the Haw and Jordan Lake, rain in the triad does end up in the Cape Fear system....a system that does not need any more. Jordan will flood their property I'm guessing. That's why that lake was built. I've moved boats to higher ground there numerous times (when I lived in Raleigh). Neuse flooding was catastrophic in New Bern....scary days for Kinston/Goldsboro etc.

My home in Beaufort is on the ICW...Core Creek/Adams Creek which connects to the Neuse. I'm wondering if we'll see a lot of that stinky polluted flood water again in a few days.

PackMan97
09-17-2018, 09:53 AM
True, by way of the Haw and Jordan Lake, rain in the triad does end up in the Cape Fear system...a system that does not need any more. Jordan will flood their property I'm guessing. That's why that lake was built. I've moved boats to higher ground there numerous times (when I lived in Raleigh). Neuse flooding was catastrophic in New Bern...scary days for Kinston/Goldsboro etc.

I live near Lake Wheeler in Raleigh which is part of the Swift Creek which eventually flows into the Neuse. I know they dumped a TON of water from Lake Wheeler last weekend in anticipation of the storm. It was the lowest I had seen it aside from severe drought conditions. It's already back up to capacity yesterday and that's before another 4-5 inches of rain fell last night and later today.

CameronBornAndBred
09-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Raleigh was amazingly proactive and may have averted a total disaster in their prescience. A couple weeks ago, on our way from the Triangle, we noticed that the Neuse was very low in Kinston. Like lower than I have ever seen. I mentioned it to my girlfriend and noted that it's not like there is a drought or anything to keep the water down.
It turned out that that the Falls Lake dam was intentionally not released as we headed into the heart of storm season. Whoever made that decision is a genius and probably saved several businesses, not to mention lives.

devildeac
09-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Raleigh was amazingly proactive and may have averted a total disaster in their prescience. A couple weeks ago, on our way from the Triangle, we noticed that the Neuse was very low in Kinston. Like lower than I have ever seen. I mentioned it to my girlfriend and noted that it's not like there is a drought or anything to keep the water down.
It turned out that that the Falls Lake dam was intentionally not released as we headed into the heart of storm season. Whoever made that decision is a genius and probably saved several businesses, not to mention lives.

Mrs. dd and I discussed the same thing while hiking in the Neuse River/Falls Lake area last week and wondered/hoped they were managing it proactively. Before/during/after Fran, IIRC, they really had little/no choice as we had a fair amount of rain the week or so before Fran which "filled" the lake and saturated the ground, leaving only bad and worse choices regarding lake/water/release choices with awful results downstream.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-17-2018, 11:43 AM

Well this is why all of these lakes were constructed in the first place....so this is how it should work. But like anything weather related, there is guess work involved...seems like the powers that be guessed right.

curtis325
09-17-2018, 12:36 PM
I live near Lake Wheeler in Raleigh which is part of the Swift Creek which eventually flows into the Neuse. I know they dumped a TON of water from Lake Wheeler last weekend in anticipation of the storm. It was the lowest I had seen it aside from severe drought conditions. It's already back up to capacity yesterday and that's before another 4-5 inches of rain fell last night and later today.

We know you mean a figurative ton. A literal ton of water is 32 cubic feet or about 20 ft by 20 ft by 1 inch. A literal ton of water is much, much less than a drop in the bucket to Florence. We got over 6 inches of rain in about an hour at my house in Durham this morning, accompanied by minor basement flooding. I will not complain as tons (figurative) of people in NC and SC are infinitely worse off.

Edit--I guess it is closer to 36 cubic feet.

PackMan97
09-17-2018, 01:19 PM
We know you mean a figurative ton. A literal ton of water is 32 cubic feet or about 20 ft by 20 ft by 1 inch. A literal ton of water is much, much less than a drop in the bucket to Florence. We got over 6 inches of rain in about an hour at my house in Durham this morning, accompanied by minor basement flooding. I will not complain as tons (figurative) of people in NC and SC are infinitely worse off.

Yes, a ton of water is a little over a cubic yard. Water is heavy, part of the reason it is so dangerous.

Thank you for pointing out my error.

Bostondevil
09-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Where in Durham are you?

I currently have plane tickets to fly into RDU on Thursday. I'm thinking coming will be a bad idea but my parents think that as long as I can get from the airport to their house near Southpoint, I should come.

devildeac
09-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Where in Durham are you?

I currently have plane tickets to fly into RDU on Thursday. I'm thinking coming will be a bad idea but my parents think that as long as I can get from the airport to their house near Southpoint, I should come.

Flying to RDU and getting to Southpoint shouldn't be problems. Now, getting to Southport might present great difficulties.

https://tims.ncdot.gov/TIMS/Default.aspx

DU82
09-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Where in Durham are you?

No problem. Just came back from lunch near Southpoint. The usual places in Durham have flooded after the TON of rain (figurative) last night and this morning. But There’s nothing significant that will flood your route between now and Thursday.

Checking the road conditions, I’m not sure there’s a route available between Fayetteville and Raleigh-Durham. Bragg Blvd. (NC 24-87) is flooded at Manchester, which is the northern base entry point. I think it was the last road open (US 401 through Lillington MAY be open.)

We are routing I-95 traffic through the Triangle to I-85, and either I-73 or more likely continue down I-85 to Charlotte. Things keep changing, especially with the upstream water heading downstream in the next few days. I’m not sure of the conditions in SC to route back to 95.

For NC roads, check driveNC.gov or call 511.

jimsumner
09-17-2018, 03:13 PM
How many mosquitoes make up a ton?

Because, methinks we're about to have a ton of mosquitoes.

BigWayne
09-17-2018, 03:26 PM
How many mosquitoes make up a ton?

Because, methinks we're about to have a ton of mosquitoes.

About 363 Billion.

jimsumner
09-17-2018, 03:33 PM
About 363 Billion.

Sounds like my backyard after a summer shower.

devildeac
09-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Sounds like my backyard after a summer shower.

Maybe call these guys?

https://mosquitojoe.com/

I own no stock in this company :p.

fidel
09-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Maybe call these guys?

https://mosquitojoe.com/

I own no stock in this company :p.

Seems like I should buy a ton of stock though.

curtis325
09-17-2018, 08:12 PM
Yes, a ton of water is a little over a cubic yard. Water is heavy, part of the reason it is so dangerous.

Thank you for pointing out my error.

There was no error, just an expression.

Cheers. :)

curtis325
09-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Where in Durham are you?

Sorry for not replying--I have not logged in in a while. You already got the right answer though.

BigWayne
09-17-2018, 08:25 PM
If you live at the coast and are expecting a package from Fedex Ground, we will begin staging your stuff at our facility in Kernersville. We will get it to you as soon as humanly possible...

How much stuff do you have piled up by now? Are you able to start moving things out yet?

wtm001
09-17-2018, 10:07 PM
I don't post too often, but I lost my home during Matthew and now I'll lost it again to Florence. If anyone has any questions I can probably answer them since I'm basically an expert at this point, haha. I'm in Lumberton.

Matthew

Florence

OldPhiKap
09-17-2018, 10:17 PM
I don't post too often, but I lost my home during Matthew and now I'll lost it again to Florence. If anyone has any questions I can probably answer them since I'm basically an expert at this point, haha. I'm in Lumberton.

Hope not all is as bad as feared. Good vibes your way.

wtm001
09-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Hope not all is as bad as feared. Good vibes your way.

Thanks. I've been through it once, it won't hurt to go through it again.

devildeac
09-17-2018, 10:47 PM

Matthew

Florence

That's truly awful. So sorry to read/see this. Best of luck rebuilding again.

elvis14
09-17-2018, 11:00 PM

Wow those pictures tell a story. I'm sorry that you are having to go through this again. I can't imagine having to go through it once.

wavedukefan70s
09-17-2018, 11:03 PM

Matthew

Florence

My condolences.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-17-2018, 11:08 PM

Matthew

Florence

Sorry to hear about your situation. But let me ask: What is your flood insurance situation? Did you have it a couple years ago? Is that what helped you rebuild?

I only say that because being on the ICW, we are mandated to have flood insurance, and in the last 20 years, there have been about 4 supposedly "Biblical" floods in NC, and we've not been touched yet.

Rogue
09-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Some areas of Wilmington look like a war zone.. others are recovering fast. Beaches took a hit but no where near the possible damage that any hurricane can produce. Wrightsville beach opened this morning,, I'm not sure if that's just for property owners or lurkers.. It may be for all. Pleasure Island ( Carolina and Kure beaches) were letting property owners back on yesterday. This is a lot sooner than Fran and Floyd.. Power is being restored at a record pace. Yes,, many still don't have power, but so many do. Roads seem to have taken a big hit. Sink holes and washed away. I'm hearing Pender County is in really bad shape.. their beaches, Topsail, Surf City took big hits.. and now inland, the rising waters, flooding is devastating .

JasonEvans
09-18-2018, 08:29 AM

I have a suggestion for your rebuild...

https://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2015/08/Takasugi-an-by-Terunobu-Fujimori-dezeen-sq.jpg

-Jason "in all seriousness... so sorry to hear about this. Natural disasters suck!" Evans

Rogue
09-18-2018, 08:29 AM
Sorry to hear about your situation. But let me ask: What is your flood insurance situation? Did you have it a couple years ago? Is that what helped you rebuild?

I only say that because being on the ICW, we are mandated to have flood insurance, and in the last 20 years, there have been about 4 supposedly "Biblical" floods in NC, and we've not been touched yet.

I agree.. I've seen the 100 yr flood zones and the 500 yr flood zones.. I lived in an area of Wilmington ( burnt Mill Creek ) that the house beside me was in the 100 yr zone and they were required to have flood insurance .. I lived next door in a 500 year zone,, wasn't required.. And we've been hit with at least 4 hurricanes that hit some of the 500 year zones.. maps need updating ..

HereBeforeCoachK
09-18-2018, 08:52 AM
I agree.. I've seen the 100 yr flood zones and the 500 yr flood zones.. I lived in an area of Wilmington ( burnt Mill Creek ) that the house beside me was in the 100 yr zone and they were required to have flood insurance .. I lived next door in a 500 year zone,, wasn't required.. And we've been hit with at least 4 hurricanes that hit some of the 500 year zones.. maps need updating ..

And I don't mean to gripe, but this is something that has, and will, greatly impact my family...we've paid a very high flood insurance premium for 19 years in Beaufort, and never had a problem. There are thousands of us like this in many coastal areas.

We've all paid through the nose, and yet we've seen billions in damages to inland areas like Kinston and Goldsboro and Lumberton and Fayetteville...and somehow somewhere someone paid to rebuild all of those areas...when virtually none of those people had paid for any flood insurance. The stats for coastal areas are 10% have flood insurance, and inland only 1% have flood insurance.

So now, that we have maybe 20-30 thousand dollars worth of flood damage, including some things that simply floated away, we may or may not have any coverage because a lot of this was not in our main dwelling. All these years of doing the right thing and carrying the right coverages, at significant cost, and I may be better off to have no coverage and then get in line to whatever government relief will certainly be coming for those with no coverage.

And to make it worse, the Observer in Raleigh ran an editorial from some know nothing professor at Villanova who was complaining about all the idiots who rebuild at the coast...and how society shouldn't keep paying for them...when the massive dollars worth of damage is done many miles, sometimes hundreds of miles, inland.

Okay, rant over for now...

Indoor66
09-18-2018, 09:00 AM
And I don't mean to gripe, but this is something that has, and will, greatly impact my family...we've paid a very high flood insurance premium for 19 years in Beaufort, and never had a problem. There are thousands of us like this in many coastal areas.

We've all paid through the nose, and yet we've seen billions in damages to inland areas like Kinston and Goldsboro and Lumberton and Fayetteville...and somehow somewhere someone paid to rebuild all of those areas...when virtually none of those people had paid for any flood insurance. The stats for coastal areas are 10% have flood insurance, and inland only 1% have flood insurance.

So now, that we have maybe 20-30 thousand dollars worth of flood damage, including some things that simply floated away, we may or may not have any coverage because a lot of this was not in our main dwelling. All these years of doing the right thing and carrying the right coverages, at significant cost, and I may be better off to have no coverage and then get in line to whatever government relief will certainly be coming for those with no coverage.

And to make it worse, the (REDACTED) Observer in Raleigh ran an editorial from some know nothing professor at Villanova who was complaining about all the idiots who rebuild at the coast...and how society shouldn't keep paying for them...when the massive dollars worth of damage is done many miles, sometimes hundreds of miles, inland.

Okay, rant over for now...

But you know that some people have all of the answers - just ask them, or not. Most of them will tell you.

Bostondevil
09-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Just in case it makes you feel better - it took FEMA 7 years to get everybody out of temporary housing after Katrina. Sandy was better as IIRC it only took 4 years. The books aren't closed yet on Harvey or Maria.

devildeac
09-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Some areas of Wilmington look like a war zone.. others are recovering fast. Beaches took a hit but no where near the possible damage that any hurricane can produce. Wrightsville beach opened this morning,, I'm not sure if that's just for property owners or lurkers.. It may be for all. Pleasure Island ( Carolina and Kure beaches) were letting property owners back on yesterday. This is a lot sooner than Fran and Floyd.. Power is being restored at a record pace. Yes,, many still don't have power, but so many do. Roads seem to have taken a big hit. Sink holes and washed away. I'm hearing Pender County is in really bad shape.. their beaches, Topsail, Surf City took big hits.. and now inland, the rising waters, flooding is devastating .

Town officials sent property owners an email after surveying the island Sunday afternoon and reported mild to moderate damage, mostly in the form of missing shingles and siding, no toppled structures and lots of flooding with the dunes being decimated in many areas. We're hoping to make the trip tomorrow or Thursday if we're notified that we're allowed back on the island.

left_hook_lacey
09-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Town officials sent property owners an email after surveying the island Sunday afternoon and reported mild to moderate damage, mostly in the form of missing shingles and siding, no toppled structures and lots of flooding with the dunes being decimated in many areas. We're hoping to make the trip tomorrow or Thursday if we're notified that we're allowed back on the island.

Not sure which way you usually go, but don't try to make the trip by hwy 50 through Chinquapin. They have flooding worse that floyd in that area, worst on record as a matter of fact. I have lots of friends an family that live near there and I've seen some pretty devestating pictures/videos of the area.

My mom/sisters all live on the family farm I grew up on and they still down't have power, but thankfully, they're north of the major flooding.

devildeac
09-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Not sure which way you usually go, but don't try to make the trip by hwy 50 through Chinquapin. They have flooding worse that floyd in that area, worst on record as a matter of fact. I have lots of friends an family that live near there and I've seen some pretty devestating pictures/videos of the area.

My mom/sisters all live on the family farm I grew up on and they still down't have power, but thankfully, they're north of the major flooding.

Thanks for the info-we'll certainly avoid this route. We've traveled the very pretty "back roads" on occasion during our return trips to Raleigh from Topsail and this route has been one of them. Very sad.

PackMan97
09-18-2018, 10:34 AM
It is amazing how mother nature spares some and not others.

My in-laws live in Stella, NC (about 10-15 miles inland from Emerald Isle) and had power back on Monday and report all is well save a few downed trees.

My parents live in Little River, SC (just south of the NC border) and had power back Monday afternoon and report all is well.

I really expected things to be worse in both places, but unless you were unlucky enough to get hit by a tree or flooded, the storm hit with much less wind power than had been predicted early. As bad as all the flooding is, everyone is very fortunate at the sudden weakening.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info-we'll certainly avoid this route. We've traveled the very pretty "back roads" on occasion during our return trips to Raleigh from Topsail and this route has been one of them. Very sad.
If 17 from Greenville is clear to Topsail like it is to New Bern, that's a good way to go for you. Plus, you can swing by. ;)

BigWayne
09-18-2018, 11:45 AM
If 17 from Greenville is clear to Topsail like it is to New Bern, that's a good way to go for you. Plus, you can swing by. ;)

Not sure how up to date this is, but you can see closures on this map:

https://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/

devildeac
09-18-2018, 12:19 PM

We will take this under very serious consideration. I'll text you.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2018, 01:35 PM
I just went to help an artist friend recover some work from a storage unit. It was the only climate controlled storage place in New Bern; I almost rented a unit there myself.
She had literally decades worth of her art in there, plus slides and other documentation. 4/5ths of it is now lost forever, under 4 feet of water. I was able to help her take a small portion out that she had stacked onto shelves. Her house, miles away, had just as much water in it, and most of her art at home was lost.
Before the storm, I was worried about my artists work in the gallery, so I asked the locals to pick up their work, herself included. The gallery stayed bone dry, and her pieces would have been just fine. Sigh.

The fire chief this morning said that 4,300 homes in NB were inundated with water. As I drive around trying to help friends, and am so thankful and lucky that both our properties were untouched.

DukieInKansas
09-18-2018, 04:41 PM
I just went to help an artist friend recover some work from a storage unit. It was the only climate controlled storage place in New Bern; I almost rented a unit there myself.
She had literally decades worth of her art in there, plus slides and other documentation. 4/5ths of it is now lost forever, under 4 feet of water. I was able to help her take a small portion out that she had stacked onto shelves. Her house, miles away, had just as much water in it, and most of her art at home was lost.
Before the storm, I was worried about my artists work in the gallery, so I asked the locals to pick up their work, herself included. The gallery stayed bone dry, and her pieces would have been just fine. Sigh.

The fire chief this morning said that 4,300 homes in NB were inundated with water. As I drive around trying to help friends, and am so thankful and lucky that both our properties were untouched.

This makes me very sad for your friend. I'm glad you and J were ok - but so many weren't that fortunate.