PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 40, Baylor 27

Pages : [1] 2

peteandpete
09-09-2018, 07:12 AM
Next play. Time to shift focus. LGD!

OldPhiKap
09-09-2018, 08:40 AM
As importantly, next man up. Some big shoes to fill this week.

Baylor put up 55 points in their opener, and 37 yesterday. We’ve only given up 21 points in two games.

Let the preparation begin!

Reilly
09-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Wonder if Florence will make Duke adjust travel plans.

DU82
09-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Wonder if Florence will make Duke adjust travel plans.

Wondering about my travel plans. Right now, flying out of RDU on Friday afternoon.

If it looks bad, I’d expect they could leave Thursday after classes. I’m sure there’s contingency plans for this.

uh_no
09-09-2018, 01:16 PM
flying out of RDU on Friday afternoon.

I'll bet you a pie you're not :)

duke2x
09-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Wondering about my travel plans. Right now, flying out of RDU on Friday afternoon. If it looks bad, I’d expect they could leave Thursday after classes. I’m sure there’s contingency plans for this.

You are correct that they will leave Thursday instead of Friday.

I'm in the same boat at RDU on Sat. AM, but it's too early now to do anything. The forecast has changed from a Cat 1 hitting New Bern Friday PM to a Cat 3 hitting New Bern Friday AM in the past 3 hours. It also could it anywhere from Savannah to Atlantic City.

Even the most fee-dependent airline becomes very generous (Free!) about 24 hours out. Last December I literally walked off a plane changing in PHL to another one across the hall in CLT to avoid snow. (This was the correct call as the PHL flight never got off the ground.) I also got another one to rebook my plane change from DTW to LGA to avoid 6-7"of snow in the former. All you have to do is get off the ground at RDU and be very nice.

sagegrouse
09-09-2018, 01:47 PM
I am flying from Wash. Dulles to Denver on Thurs. AM and guess it's about 50-50, given United's penchant for canceling flights based only on forecasts

duke2x
09-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Baylor put up 55 points in their opener, and 37 yesterday. We’ve only given up 21 points in two games.

I am much more pessimistic about our chances here than I was preseason. I think we have to hold Baylor to about 20 to win this one. If there's good news, Baylor fans are mixed on the quality of their defense, particularly their rush defense.

brevity
09-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Vintage Program! The only Duke-Baylor one in the collection (https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dfp?_=1536519622157&f%5Bcategory_facet_sim%5D%5B%5D=Baylor):

Sixty years ago (October 11, 1958), fans dressed for the game very differently, and Duke beat SWC opponent Baylor 12-7.

sagegrouse
09-09-2018, 03:24 PM
I am much more pessimistic about our chances here than I was preseason. I think we have to hold Baylor to about 20 to win this one. If there's good news, Baylor fans are mixed on the quality of their defense, particularly their rush defense.

I don't want to downgrade Baylor or its chances, but the Bears put up 57 agin UT San Antonio and Abilene Christian, which was last in the sports headlines when Bobby Morrow won Olympic gold in 1956.

CameronBornAndBred
09-09-2018, 04:03 PM
You are correct that they will leave Thursday instead of Friday.

I'm in the same boat at RDU on Sat. AM, but it's too early now to do anything. The forecast has changed from a Cat 1 hitting New Bern Friday PM to a Cat 3 hitting New Bern Friday AM in the past 3 hours. It also could it anywhere from Savannah to Atlantic City.

Even the most fee-dependent airline becomes very generous (Free!) about 24 hours out. Last December I literally walked off a plane changing in PHL to another one across the hall in CLT to avoid snow. (This was the correct call as the PHL flight never got off the ground.) I also got another one to rebook my plane change from DTW to LGA to avoid 6-7"of snow in the former. All you have to do is get off the ground at RDU and be very nice.

I have been spending all weekend (aside from watching the game yesterday) prepping our house and the gallery. New Bern's Walmart and Lowes were ZOOs! I bet Lowe's is setting a local single day record for generator sales.
I realized that ALL of my big cooler's are at TNT's house, since I just leave them there this time of year for tailgating. So, midweek, I'm making a cooler run. Tank of gas is cheaper than two new coolers.
If we lose power, my challenge will be making sure my small generator fires up my tv and modem well enough to watch the game on Saturday. :)

wilson
09-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Quentin Harris will presumably get the start at QB. I guess we should plan to see a steady diet of Brittain Brown & co.

CameronBornAndBred
09-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Quentin Harris will presumably get the start at QB. I guess we should plan to see a steady diet of Brittain Brown & co.

Without a 14 point lead to protect, I imagine we'll see some down field passing from Harris. No need to start that game conservatively, but I understand the desire to avoid INTs when he came in yesterday.

Bob Green
09-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Duke currently a 1.5 points underdog:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

Faison1
09-09-2018, 06:13 PM
We only got 4 more votes in the new Coaches Poll?!?! What the heck, man????

I thought the NU win deserved more respect than that!!

We actually went from #35 down to #38!!!

What in the world?!?!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 06:13 PM

What in the world?!?!

I'm assuming people know about the injuries.....

wilson
09-09-2018, 07:13 PM

What in the world?!?!

Indoor66
09-09-2018, 07:14 PM
I have been spending all weekend (aside from watching the game yesterday) prepping our house and the gallery. New Bern's Walmart and Lowes were ZOOs! I bet Lowe's is setting a local single day record for generator sales.
I realized that ALL of my big cooler's are at TNT's house, since I just leave them there this time of year for tailgating. So, midweek, I'm making a cooler run. Tank of gas is cheaper than two new coolers.
If we lose power, my challenge will be making sure my small generator fires up my tv and modem well enough to watch the game on Saturday. :)

Maybe that is where you ought to be - with the coolers. 😎

AustinDevil
09-09-2018, 08:16 PM

What in the world?!?!

Good—lower expectations and pressure for whomever(s) the QB is(are)!

AustinDevil
09-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Vintage Program! The only Duke-Baylor one in the collection (https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dfp?_=1536519622157&f%5Bcategory_facet_sim%5D%5B%5D=Baylor):

Sixty years ago (October 11, 1958), fans dressed for the game very differently, and Duke beat SWC opponent Baylor 12-7.

Weird that Duke of that era would’ve agreed to play a single game at BU. Also, I’m pretty sure skirts that short were illegal in Waco in the Fifties.

sagegrouse
09-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Weird that Duke of that era would’ve agreed to play a single game at BU. Also, I’m pretty sure skirts that short were illegal in Waco in the Fifties.
The game appeared to be at Duke. Duke came to Houston to play Rice in 1965 -- big win, but devastating injuries

AustinDevil
09-09-2018, 09:03 PM
The game appeared to be at Duke. Duke came to Houston to play Rice in 1965 -- big win, but devastating injuries

You’re too kind, as I overlooked the “DUKE STADIUM” info at the bottom. I’ll revise my comment to say that it’s weird for Duke’s program to show these two strolling in in Baylor colors?

brevity
09-09-2018, 09:16 PM

You’re too kind, as I overlooked the “DUKE STADIUM” info at the bottom. I’ll revise my comment to say that it’s weird for Duke’s program to show these two strolling in in Baylor colors?

As the person who posted the program, I'll say that I recognize that the Baylor and Northwestern games are on the road, but it's harder to find a collection of their home programs on the Internet, while Duke's are easily available. (I found some random ones, but none where they hosted Duke.)

The 1920s outfits (and Baylor team colors) pictured are another story. The drawing looks like something from The New Yorker. Maybe this was some mild mocking of genteel-but-outdated Baylor fans? I don't know what humor was like in 1958.

Reilly
09-09-2018, 09:34 PM
... The 1920s outfits (and Baylor team colors) pictured are another story. The drawing looks like something from The New Yorker. Maybe this was some mild mocking of genteel-but-outdated Baylor fans? I don't know what humor was like in 1958.

It's labeled as the Homecoming program, so alums returning in 1958 (say, 30 years later) would've been 1928 graduates. That's not a student depicted. Not sure about Baylor coloring.

Newton_14
09-09-2018, 10:56 PM

In terms of QB, I just feel if the staff had confidence in Quentin's passing ability we would have seen evidence of that at some point in the past two seasons, and quite frankly we haven't, and on the one play yesterday where it appeared a vertical pass play was called, he froze and ate it. Maybe he has the ability and throws for 300 yards against Baylor in a resounding win and we all breathe easier. I'm just going to have to see it to believe it. Even if he can, we still have to put in whichever guy is next up after Quentin to get their feet wet because as a FB player at any position you are always one play away from injury, so the new backup should be given some burn on our terms vs having to go out there in the heat of battle for the first time due to Quentin being carted off or something.

Gunnar fwiw played in a big time high school conference (dual 4A/4AA) and put up some pretty impressive stats. Doesn't guarantee it will translate, but I am anxious to see what the kid can do.

CameronBornAndBred
09-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Baylor put 55 against the "Abilene Christian Wildcats". While allowing 27 points.
The 37 came against ATSU, who also allowed the Southern Jaguars to score 17 on them.
Long story short, Baylor hasn't faced a team with Duke's talent on D.

fuse
09-10-2018, 06:38 AM
Here’s hoping the team is motivated and focused.
Hard to say what the offense will look like, which could be an advantage- what will Baylor prepare for?

Let’s go Duke!

richmclean
09-10-2018, 07:06 AM
Baylor put 55 against the "Abilene Christian Wildcats". While allowing 27 points.
The 37 came against ATSU, who also allowed the Southern Jaguars to score 17 on them.

UTSA closed to 27-20 with 13 left in the 4th quarter after a long drive. Baylor then had two long drives for a FG and TD to close the game. UTSA was blown out by ASU in their first game. Baylor outgained them 2-1 but still a so-so win for BU.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Hard to say what the offense will look like, which could be an advantage- what will Baylor prepare for?

...that's exactly what I've been pinning my hopes on......Duke's O is perhaps un-scoutable at this point (is that even a word?)

OldPhiKap
09-10-2018, 07:40 AM

No question. But Baylor at least crushed the teams they should have while some of our neighbors (heh heh) did not.

Vegas has the game roughly even, which without DJ sounds as reasonable as anything.

budwom
09-10-2018, 08:37 AM
In terms of QB, I just feel if the staff had confidence in Quentin's passing ability we would have seen evidence of that at some point in the past two seasons, and quite frankly we haven't, and on the one play yesterday where it appeared a vertical pass play was called, he froze and ate it. Maybe he has the ability and throws for 300 yards against Baylor in a resounding win and we all breathe easier. I'm just going to have to see it to believe it. Even if he can, we still have to put in whichever guy is next up after Quentin to get their feet wet because as a FB player at any position you are always one play away from injury, so the new backup should be given some burn on our terms vs having to go out there in the heat of battle for the first time due to Quentin being carted off or something.

Gunnar fwiw played in a big time high school conference (dual 4A/4AA) and put up some pretty impressive stats. Doesn't guarantee it will translate, but I am anxious to see what the kid can do.

I fully agree that Harris is not necessarily the starter vs Baylor for the reason you mention. Now perhaps Cut just felt that Harris was the best guy for keeping the ball on the ground and running out the clock vs NU; still, at some point we are going to need a QB in whom the staff has full confidence to throw the ball downfield. Maybe it's Harris, maybe not...would not be stunned to see Katrenick (?) get the nod, maybe they platoon. The only thing I'm sure of is that Cut won't tell us much this week...

OldPhiKap
09-10-2018, 09:03 AM
The only thing I'm sure of is that Cut won't tell us much this week...

Yup. To quote you (IIRC) from a few years ago, Cut's gonna go all Secret Squirrel on us. As he should.

Would not be surprised to see some sort of platooning, and this is why the new redshirt rule is helpful.

I am hopeful that the element of surprise is a big plus for us against Baylor, to somewhat mitigate against the loss of DJ. That won't help though against VTech in game 5. (Not to overlook NCCU, of course).

Big game this Saturday. Challenges and opportunities abound.

budwom
09-10-2018, 09:14 AM
^ incredibly important game to nudge us up toward six wins; having four in the bank pre Va Tech would be comforting.

Avvocato
09-10-2018, 10:28 AM
10 years ago, Tom Brady went down for the season in the opener, and little known Matt Cassel led New England to an 11-5 record (though they missed the playoff, I believe). Cut won’t need to squeeze a season out of his backups, just enough to win some of the winnable games until DJ can return. Here’s hoping Harris and Co. take the opportunity to shine.

cato
09-10-2018, 11:09 AM
...that's exactly what I've been pinning my hopes on...Duke's O is perhaps un-scoutable at this point (is that even a word?)

Well, the o-line and running backs haven’t changed. And there is plenty of tape on Duke bubble screens out there . . .

Wander
09-10-2018, 11:18 AM

I agree. Luckily our identity seems to be as a defensive team (though the injury hurts there too, but not as much), so my hope is that maybe we only need our QB to be passable and to try and survive a low scoring slugfest.

budwom
09-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Well, the o-line and running backs haven’t changed. And there is plenty of tape on Duke bubble screens out there . . .

I happily noted at the NU game that Roper eschewed the horrific horizontal passing game saturday...got one actual bubble screen to Rahming that worked late in the game during clock running time.
NU would have eaten up the horizontal game (a Rahming sweep went less than nowhere).
Also noticed that Jones hardly ran the option if at all. Good way to avoid injury (alas there are other ways to get injured)...lots of two back sets, more of a conventional running game which is fine by me.

NU is stout against the run...opportunity knocks in Waco.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-10-2018, 02:18 PM

But if Cut does something totally different with the QB and the game plan......maybe some wildcat.....etc.....is what I'm talking about.

Acymetric
09-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Could Florence impact our ability to travel depending on when it hits the Triangle?

budwom
09-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Could Florence impact our ability to travel depending on when it hits the Triangle?

I think they leave thursday, plus Cut could always borrow Alleva's boat...

jimsumner
09-10-2018, 03:22 PM
10 years ago, Tom Brady went down for the season in the opener, and little known Matt Cassel led New England to an 11-5 record (though they missed the playoff, I believe). Cut won’t need to squeeze a season out of his backups, just enough to win some of the winnable games until DJ can return. Here’s hoping Harris and Co. take the opportunity to shine.

Ask Drew Bledsoe about Tom Brady and injuries.

I just hope we don't have Zach Asack v. VT, part two.

PackMan97
09-10-2018, 03:23 PM

I imagine the only thing that will change is the team will leave earlier than scheduled. Tropical storm force winds could be at RDU as early is Thursday morning. I wouldn't be surprised to see RDU operating at a reduced capacity very early Thursday or even shutdown.

duke79
09-10-2018, 03:34 PM
I happily noted at the NU game that Roper eschewed the horrific horizontal passing game saturday...got one actual bubble screen to Rahming that worked late in the game during clock running time.
NU would have eaten up the horizontal game (a Rahming sweep went less than nowhere).
Also noticed that Jones hardly ran the option if at all. Good way to avoid injury (alas there are other ways to get injured)...lots of two back sets, more of a conventional running game which is fine by me.

NU is stout against the run...opportunity knocks in Waco.

I HATE those "horizontal" passes! As I may have said before (and I know nothing about football strategy), but my thought is you should throw the ball DOWN the field.

Bob Green
09-10-2018, 04:19 PM
I HATE those "horizontal" passes! As I may have said before (and I know nothing about football strategy), but my thought is you should throw the ball DOWN the field.

The football field is 53 and 1/3 yards wide (160 feet). Those horizontal passes are intended to force the defense to cover the whole field. The problem, IMHO, is twofold:

1. Those pass plays require near perfect timing.
2. The receiver or running back needs to be fast and shifty as he often has to immediately make one defender miss.

Without those two factors simultaneously, the play has a low success percentage. Our receivers have struggled with separation. T.J. Rahming is definitely shifty enough if the quarterback could deliver the ball at the exact right time.

Theoretically, the horizontal passing game, like the running game, will open up space to exploit the defense vertically. Theory hasn't resulted in much success for Duke in recent years but there are some specific examples. Shaun Wilson caught two touchdown passes in last season's win over Georgia Tech and both were on bubble screen type plays. Against Notre Dame in 2016, Quay Chambers caught a TD pass in the corner of the end zone to give Duke a 21-14 lead. He slipped behind the defense because Shaun Wilson flared out toward the sideline and the Notre Dame defense overreacted to another Duke horizontal pass.

So the horizontal passing game serves a purpose but I believe, at times, Duke opts to throw too many sideways passes. Like budwom stated earlier, I was happy to see the vertical passes against Northwestern.

duke79
09-10-2018, 04:43 PM
The football field is 53 and 1/3 yards wide (160 feet). Those horizontal passes are intended to force the defense to cover the whole field. The problem, IMHO, is twofold:

1. Those pass plays require near perfect timing.
2. The receiver or running back needs to be fast and shifty as he often has to immediately make one defender miss.

Without those two factors simultaneously, the play has a low success percentage. Our receivers have struggled with separation. T.J. Rahming is definitely shifty enough if the quarterback could deliver the ball at the exact right time.

Theoretically, the horizontal passing game, like the running game, will open up space to exploit the defense vertically. Theory hasn't resulted in much success for Duke in recent years but there are some specific examples. Shaun Wilson caught two touchdown passes in last season's win over Georgia Tech and both were on bubble screen type plays. Against Notre Dame in 2016, Quay Chambers caught a TD pass in the corner of the end zone to give Duke a 21-14 lead. He slipped behind the defense because Shaun Wilson flared out toward the sideline and the Notre Dame defense overreacted to another Duke horizontal pass.

So the horizontal passing game serves a purpose but I believe, at times, Duke opts to throw too many sideways passes. Like budwom stated earlier, I was happy to see the vertical passes against Northwestern.

Yea, (I guess) I understand the strategy of using the horizontal passes to open up the field for more vertical plays BUT, if my memory is correct from watching many Duke football games in the past few years, those horizontal plays just don't seem to gain many yards (if any) and they don't really seem to open the field for more vertical plays either (as far as I can tell). It seems to me that they also open the possibility of an interception by one of the defenders who will then have pretty much an open field to the goal line. And the receiver is especially vulnerable to a blind hit because they are looking back at the QB and trying to catch the ball and then turn down field to run (if the ball is caught). I've seen many plays where the receiver is just clocked by one of the defenders.

Bob Green
09-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Daniel Jones to Quay Chambers TD play starts at :38 second mark of the video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9wdmpy96ow

Chambers slips behind the defense because of a slight hesitation as if to set-up to block and ND commits two defenders to Wilson on the flare route (bubble screen).

The horizontal pass play serves a purpose I will leave it at that.

AustinDevil
09-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Wondering about my travel plans. Right now, flying out of RDU on Friday afternoon.

I'm in the same boat at RDU on Sat. AM, but it's too early now to do anything.

I am flying from Wash. Dulles to Denver on Thurs. AM and guess it's about 50-50, given United's penchant for canceling flights based only on forecasts

Welcome to Texas! (Hopefully.)

If anyone would like Dallas or Austin dining or entertainment suggestions, please let me know! (Waco too, if you insist, but that’s a short list!)

arnie
09-10-2018, 05:05 PM
I think they leave thursday, plus Cut could always borrow Alleva's boat...

Haha. That strategy only works if nether Alleva nor son are at the wheel.

jimsumner
09-10-2018, 05:22 PM
The bubble screen was a great call when Jamison Crowder was on the receiving end.

Bob Green
09-10-2018, 05:38 PM
The bubble screen was a great call when Jamison Crowder was on the receiving end.

Thanks, Jim. That's the point I was making but you made it with a lot less words.

rtnorthrup
09-10-2018, 06:28 PM

There are actually a number of behind the line WR screens that Duke uses/has used. I don't like most of them, but they serve a purpose, just like between the tackle runs.

I have said for a few years, Duke needs to add more pre-snap movement (motion), more misdirection, and more speed plays to the outside.

All of that said, with Q. Harris under center, I would love to see us use more multiple TE, and multiple RB sets this coming week. It is going to be interesting to see how much they let Q. Harris keep on the read option plays.

OldPhiKap
09-10-2018, 06:44 PM
Coach Mike Rhule’s comments on the upcoming game:

https://sicem365.com/s/3183/transcript-matt-rhule-previews-week-three-with-duke-coming-to-waco/2

chrishoke
09-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Coach Mike Rhule’s comments on the upcoming game:

https://sicem365.com/s/3183/transcript-matt-rhule-previews-week-three-with-duke-coming-to-waco/2

Really enjoyed that. Tx for posting.

Bob Green
09-10-2018, 08:25 PM
All of that said, with Q. Harris under center, I would love to see us use more multiple TE, and multiple RB sets this coming week. It is going to be interesting to see how much they let Q. Harris keep on the read option plays.

As heartbroken as I am that Daniel Jones is out for the next six weeks or so, I am interested to see how Coach Cutcliffe handles the quarterback situation. This one is different in that everyone knows Jones is gone for an extended amount of time. Coach Cutcliffe has to come up with a package that emphasizes Q. Harris' skill sets. You are probably spot on with the "multiple TE, multiple RB sets" comment. We will probably attempt to run the ball a lot and if we achieve success we will keep running it mixing in enough passes to keep the defense honest.

Moreover, I will not be surprised at all to see Coach Cutcliffe platoon a couple different guys at QB.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-10-2018, 09:26 PM
As heartbroken as I am that Daniel Jones is out for the next six weeks or so, I am interested to see how Coach Cutcliffe handles the quarterback situation. This one is different in that everyone knows Jones is gone for an extended amount of time. Coach Cutcliffe has to come up with a package that emphasizes Q. Harris' skill sets. You are probably spot on with the "multiple TE, multiple RB sets" comment. We will probably attempt to run the ball a lot and if we achieve success we will keep running it mixing in enough passes to keep the defense honest.

Moreover, I will not be surprised at all to see Coach Cutcliffe platoon a couple different guys at QB.

GMTA...etc. I too expect to see Q operate a lot with two tight end sets....and a lot tailback runs. And I also expect to see Gunnar or Chris K. get a shot to see what they can do.

Scorp4me
09-10-2018, 11:13 PM
As someone who is frustrated watching our back run up the middle time after time (even our small backs that could perhaps work better going to the outside in space), I know the bubble passes have been used in place of running to the outside. When Renfree was here we almost had to use it because we lacked an offensive line that could give him time. So I don't hate it, just want it used as a small part of the bigger scheme.

bedeviled
09-11-2018, 01:50 AM
I think we might be conflating passes to the flat. IIRC, in past years, we've had trouble finding available options in the pass progression, resulting in dumping down to outlet passes in the flat. Such plays are not likely to impress. But, they are different than plays designed to attack the flat. Here are a couple successful plays I believe are flare screens (I'm not a footballer).
GT vs Duke 2017 (0:53) (https://youtu.be/DZFf2z25s0U?t=53s)
Duke vs. Northern Illinois Quick Lane Bowl 2017 (1:37) (https://youtu.be/XZxNf6h0dDA?t=1m37s)

While most of this discussion is about verticality, Bob Green alludes to the effect of horizontal passes in stretching the defensive width. I think this is particularly effective for QB keepers, which Duke has used consistently in recent years. NU vs Duke 2017 (https://youtu.be/J0azc-ANiI4?t=9s) (0:09) is an example that looks like a designed draw counter to the motion to the flat

But, it's easier to visualize the field/formation in Bob's earlier highlight link (Duke vs ND 2016 0:38 (https://youtu.be/L9wdmpy96ow?t=38s)). Notice the safety's shift to cover the x2 WR on our right. He's then passed off a WR from the defensive back, further taking him out of run support. Also, a linebacker has responsibility on the potential swing pass, taking him out of run support. This leaves Duke with a great advantage in the box (Duke with 6 + QB, ND with 4 DLs + 1 LB). And, ND is also left with just 1 safety in position for the run. In this case, our offensive line was pass-blocking as it looks to be a designed bubble action (again, caution, I'm neither football player nor fanatic), hitting the corner route. However, one can see that the horizontal pass schemes would have set up a nice draw play as well, as fulfilled in the NU clip.

bedeviled
09-11-2018, 01:56 AM
It is going to be interesting to see how much they let Q. Harris keep on the read option plays.Will staff be extra protective to prevent losing the 2nd string QB? If QHarris isn't used as a ball carrier, we lose one of his best attributes and a significant advantage in the 'numbers in the box' game. I expect Baylor to cheat towards the run given 1) our history of QHarris play selection and 2) Baylor appears to be particularly weak at run defense presently.

Baylor's 2018 opponents (Abilene Christian & UT-SA):
Abilene Christian offense

vs Air Force
vs Angelo St
vs Baylor

Rushes

Rushing Yards

Yards/Carry

UT-San Antonio offense

vs Arizona St
vs Baylor

Rushes

Rushing Yards

Yards/Carry

Bob Green
09-11-2018, 04:52 AM
The spread has increased to -6 for Baylor with the Over/Under set at 50.5 points. Plenty of time left in the week for a final score prediction but I am going with the Under in this game (counting on Duke's defense).

arnie
09-11-2018, 07:07 AM
The spread has increased to -6 for Baylor with the Over/Under set at 50.5 points. Plenty of time left in the week for a final score prediction but I am going with the Under in this game (counting on Duke's defense).

Yea, that O/U is way too high. Have your bookie call me😀

duke79
09-11-2018, 12:05 PM
There are actually a number of behind the line WR screens that Duke uses/has used. I don't like most of them, but they serve a purpose, just like between the tackle runs.

I have said for a few years, Duke needs to add more pre-snap movement (motion), more misdirection, and more speed plays to the outside.

As someone who is frustrated watching our back run up the middle time after time (even our small backs that could perhaps work better going to the outside in space), I know the bubble passes have been used in place of running to the outside. When Renfree was here we almost had to use it because we lacked an offensive line that could give him time. So I don't hate it, just want it used as a small part of the bigger scheme.

Totally agree here with both posters! I still feel our offensive schemes could use a little more creativity (coming from someone who has NO football experience, other than watching a lot of pro and college football games over the years). I always thought that was one of the strengths of Coach Spurrier. His games, when he was the offensive coordinator and then HC at Duke and elsewhere, were always fun to watch, win or lose.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
09-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Totally agree here with both posters! I still feel our offensive schemes could use a little more creativity (coming from someone who has NO football experience, other than watching a lot of pro and college football games over the years). I always thought that was one of the strengths of Coach Spurrier. His games, when he was the offensive coordinator and then HC at Duke and elsewhere, were always fun to watch, win or lose.

Your comment reminded me of something Booby Bowden said toward the end of his career, “People watch football on tv and think they can coach. It would be like watching Dr. Kildare and thinking they can do surgery.” The funniest part of that to me was that except for a few more mature adults like myself, nobody knew who Dr. Kildare was.

budwom
09-11-2018, 12:21 PM

as the various posters say, there is always room for some horizontal plays...the trouble with many of Duke's has been that they are very slow to develop...and as others noted, they require the WR generally to
beat his man one on one, which doesn't happen all that often. We used one bubble type screen late in the NU game as the defenders had to give Rahming some room since he'd burned them a few times.

This week, I suspect Baylor will absolutely pack the box with 8-9 guys unless we show we can hit some passes...I'd be looking for some quick slants over the middle to the tight ends and wide receivers, give our QB (whoever he turns out to be) a chance to get rid of the ball quickly. For the backup QBs, opportunity really knocks this game. I'm sure Cut has a good idea of how ready these various guys are, but none of us fans do (that I know of) so it's going to be interesting.

Avvocato
09-11-2018, 12:59 PM

I agree with this. However, I think we are going to see more passing than we might expect from Harris (unless he is just not capable, in which case, we have to see other QBs). I agree we will need to hunker down and establish our run. But Baylor and others will be stacking up against our run, and you can't win ACC games without being able to throw. In fact, I'm predicting a (short) pass our first offensive play, even if it's a smoke screen to show that we intend to pass the ball. Hopefully we capture Baylor and others off guard the way Army caught us off guard. I'm looking forward to seeing how Cut game plans going forward. And we will need to score some, or at least string some first downs together, to take some pressure of of our defense.

Regarding our use of horizontal passes, as others have said, there are different types of horizontal passes. Some are check downs to backs and tight ends when the primary receivers are not open, or safety valves when the quarterback doesn't have any more time. Some are play calls. However, not all of the horizontal throws are called by Roper. With that said, in the past, we have called way too many, and often they were obvious. In the past though, they didn't work well, because we had no threat of vertical throws. Defenses would stack up within 5-10 yards of the line of scrimmage, and there was no room for our receiver to go. This year, we have shown more ability to throw deep and even intermediate. That usually opens up screens. These throws can be effective, since they can be used as a way to get a guy like Rahming the ball, but he needs room to operate. We just called way too many in the past when defenses were playing up on us. Defenses were also just expecting them.

This year, I thought we called a bit in the first quarter plus against Army. Since then, I think Roper has actually mixed up his play calling more and done a better job overall. I know the second half against NU had many up in arms, but I think score, field position, and other circumstances had more to do with that. We will always argue with play calling, especially when a play doesn't work. In any case, looking forward, I think our game plan and play calling will have to be top notch the next few weeks. While I hate that Jones is out, as he was the key to our season, I'm really interested to see how we deal with it. Can't wait for Saturday. Let's go Duke!

CameronBlue
09-11-2018, 01:07 PM
The State game has been postponed due to the impending weather. The UNC game as well because Florence is the only thing expected to be in attendance.

BigWayne
09-11-2018, 02:07 PM
The State game has been postponed due to the impending weather. The UNC game as well because Florence is the only thing expected to be in attendance.

When these thinhs happen, it always makes me wonder why they don't switch venues, i.e. UNC @ UCF and NCSU@WVU. Maybe WVU should just go to UCF and leave State and the cheats to deal with each other. I'm pretty sure they will have an open date Dec 1st they can play each other. Kind of like an NBA/NHL back to back setup.

Avvocato
09-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Here's an AP story on espn.com regarding Quentin Harris starting this week for Duke: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24644893/qb-quentin-harris-start-duke-blue-devils-daniel-jones-injury

OldPhiKap
09-11-2018, 02:22 PM
When these thinhs happen, it always makes me wonder why they don't switch venues, i.e. UNC @ UCF and NCSU@WVU. Maybe WVU should just go to UCF and leave State and the cheats to deal with each other. I'm pretty sure they will have an open date Dec 1st they can play each other. Kind of like an NBA/NHL back to back setup.

My guess is that the logistics involved are too daunting. Stadium crew and employees need to be scheduled; hotels and busses need to be arranged; tv crews relocated; food and beverages ordered for the venue (maybe); etc.

I am sure that UCF would PAY to get Carolina down to Orlando right now while the Heels are reeling and players are still on suspension.

That raises a question -- does this mean that the players who are suspended have to sit out the rematch, or does everything just shift a week? I would guess the latter but not sure. "First four games" would seem to be the first four played, not the first four scheduled.

Tripping William
09-11-2018, 02:35 PM
That raises a question -- does this mean that the players who are suspended have to sit out the rematch, or does everything just shift a week? I would guess the latter but not sure. "First four games" would seem to be the first four played, not the first four scheduled.

This is Bubba Cunningham & Larry Fedora we're talking about . . . . . . .

duke79
09-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Your comment reminded me of something Booby Bowden said toward the end of his career, “People watch football on tv and think they can coach. It would be like watching Dr. Kildare and thinking they can do surgery.” The funniest part of that to me was that except for a few more mature adults like myself, nobody knew who Dr. Kildare was.

LOL, yea, no doubt Bobby Bowden was right! There IS a reason why Cut is the head coach and I'm NOT. Having said that, though, I'd still like to see a little more creativity and variety in play calling. Reminds me of when Mike McGee was the Duke head coach back in the 70's and the student cheer was "Up the middle; up the middle; up the middle.......PUNT!" Now, THAT was boring football.

OldPhiKap
09-11-2018, 03:11 PM

I thought it was an NCAA sanction? Or was it the self-imposed sanction that the NCAA accepted?

Not that the NCAA would do anything to ruffle the Heels, of course.

Tripping William
09-11-2018, 04:29 PM
I thought it was an NCAA sanction? Or was it the self-imposed sanction that the NCAA accepted?

Not that the NCAA would do anything to ruffle the Heels, of course.

My little bit of reading (for instance here (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2018/08/06/north-carolina-unc-suspensions-team-issued-shoes/917234002/)) indicates that the NCAA let them stagger the suspensions. Which, naturally, comports with your last sentence.

devildeac
09-11-2018, 04:39 PM
My little bit of reading (for instance here (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2018/08/06/north-carolina-unc-suspensions-team-issued-shoes/917234002/)) indicates that the NCAA let them stagger the suspensions. Which, naturally, comports with your last sentence.

I'm astonished it wasn't added on to the "show cause" penalties for Nyang'oro and Boxill. :mad:

Or should that be "shoe cause?"

:rolleyes:

DukieInKansas
09-11-2018, 04:42 PM
My guess is that the logistics involved are too daunting. Stadium crew and employees need to be scheduled; hotels and busses need to be arranged; tv crews relocated; food and beverages ordered for the venue (maybe); etc.

I am sure that UCF would PAY to get Carolina down to Orlando right now while the Heels are reeling and players are still on suspension.

There is a link in the jinx thread to an article that points out UCF might be glad to miss this game as it could hurt their strength of schedule. I believe OPK posted the link.

BandAlum83
09-11-2018, 04:52 PM
There is a link in the jinx thread to an article that points out UCF might be glad to miss this game as it could hurt their strength of schedule. I believe OPK posted the link.

Or they could end up screwed 2 years in a row. Last year they had a game with GT canceled. It could have given them a P5 win which would have MAYBE gotten them a look for the Playoff.

They may end up missing out on a P5 game this year as a result also. I do hope they get to reschedule this one.

OldPhiKap
09-11-2018, 04:53 PM

OPK is rarely consistent.

Yeah, my initial thought was that UCF would want the easy win. Then I saw the article and saw that they may be better off with one less win than kicking the Heels silly.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but that's the NCAA.

Reilly
09-11-2018, 09:50 PM
http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5476405.pdf

devildeac
09-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Any predictions for the score/outcome/over-under from the DBR faithful yet?

If there aren't, I'll start the victory parade:

Duke 21
BU 14

If prognostications have started, I'm merely lining up in the formation :o.

Reilly
09-11-2018, 10:11 PM
team leaving Thurs

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6288871

Faison1
09-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Everyone be safe this week!!

I'm watching this storm develop from 3,000 miles away. Normally, I don't get too worked up about hurricanes, having ridden many out. But this one is starting to look impressive.

My Dad told me about Hazel back in '54...he rowed a boat all the way down Front Street in Beaufort after the storm passed.

I'm guessing this will be a lot like Floyd...hopefully all the hog farmers have improved their waste ponds so they don't spill over into the Neuse again...

Anyway, I hope everyone errs on the side of caution. Please be safe!!!

BigWayne
09-12-2018, 02:40 AM

This is just priceless. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24649139/unc-players-suspensions-affected-game-cancelled-hurricane)

So the cheats now claim the suspensions were for 30% of their schedule. So apparently, having no meaningful bowl prospects, that meant 30% of 12 games equals 3.6, which was publicized as a 4 game suspension.

Now that they are down to 11 games, the math comes out to 3.3, which they are apparently rounding down to 3.

Bob Green
09-12-2018, 04:44 AM
Jim Sumner article on the front page: Coach Cutcliffe On Adapting To Injuries (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/12/17849594/coach-cutcliffe-on-adapting-to-injuries-duke-football)

We’ve talked a lot in the last few days about Mark Gilbert’s season-ending hip injury and Daniel Jones’s clavicle injury. But it’s not just those two key players. Wide receiver Aaron Young, safety Jeremy McDuffie and offensive lineman Zach Harmon are all listed as day-to-day. Cutcliffe praises Duke’s medical people but there’s no guarantee any of these key players will suit up against Baylor this Saturday.

Jim says he will have more on Harris and the quarterback situation later in the week. :cool:

OldPhiKap
09-12-2018, 07:11 AM
This is just priceless. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24649139/unc-players-suspensions-affected-game-cancelled-hurricane)

So the cheats now claim the suspensions were for 30% of their schedule. So apparently, having no meaningful bowl prospects, that meant 30% of 12 games equals 3.6, which was publicized as a 4 game suspension.

Now that they are down to 11 games, the math comes out to 3.3, which they are apparently rounding down to 3.

You really cannot make this stuff up.

#TheCarolinaWayIsAFraud

budwom
09-12-2018, 08:16 AM
So...Cut has (for me anyway) answered the key question, which is that he claims Harris can make all the throws, he just hasn't been asked to. I guess we'll see....as long as he keeps Baylor's defense honest with some legit downfield passing, I like our chances...not gonna get by with an Asackian offense...

Meanwhile key matchup will be our heretofore excellent DL harrassing Baylor's OL...don't want to give them any time to find those speedy WRs...

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2018, 09:49 AM
So...Cut has (for me anyway) answered the key question, which is that he claims Harris can make all the throws, he just hasn't been asked to. I guess we'll see...as long as he keeps Baylor's defense honest with some legit downfield passing, I like our chances...not gonna get by with an Asackian offense...

Meanwhile key matchup will be our heretofore excellent DL harrassing Baylor's OL...don't want to give them any time to find those speedy WRs...

Yep. I think had we been down or tied with NU, we would have seen Harris throwing the ball. But we were up by 2 scores and our defense playing great. Staying conservative was a wise move.

Indoor66
09-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Yep. I think had we been down or tied with NU, we would have seen Harris throwing the ball. But we were up by 2 scores and our defense playing great. Staying conservative was a wise move.

I agree with you, CB&B. As my dad used to say on the golf course, it ain't how, it's how many.

I wish you would move inland for the storm. In any event, be well....

du_bb1
09-12-2018, 10:15 AM
May have a wet field 80% Friday 40% Sat pm. What kind of turf do they have?

jwillfan
09-12-2018, 10:17 AM
So...Cut has (for me anyway) answered the key question, which is that he claims Harris can make all the throws, he just hasn't been asked to. I guess we'll see...as long as he keeps Baylor's defense honest with some legit downfield passing, I like our chances...not gonna get by with an Asackian offense...

For some reason this reminded me of Ballchinian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NPw3WvpRL8

rtnorthrup
09-12-2018, 10:18 AM

wait and see is the best approach. As much as I love Cut, he has a history of Coach speak.

For me the issue is going to be whether C. Harris and R. Kraeling can block Baylor's DEs. We struggled a bit in that category last season against Baylor, and both Ts have missed key blocks this season. Certainly Harris will not have enjoyed the film review this week. If we can stay ahead of the chains on 1st and 2nd down, Q. Harris will probably be allowed the freedom of most of the playbook. I don't think we want to live with a back-up QB, on the road, in 3rd and long all afternoon.

budwom
09-12-2018, 10:31 AM
wait and see is the best approach. As much as I love Cut, he has a history of Coach speak.

For me the issue is going to be whether C. Harris and R. Kraeling can block Baylor's DEs. We struggled a bit in that category last season against Baylor, and both Ts have missed key blocks this season. Certainly Harris will not have enjoyed the film review this week. If we can stay ahead of the chains on 1st and 2nd down, Q. Harris will probably be allowed the freedom of most of the playbook. I don't think we want to live with a back-up QB, on the road, in 3rd and long all afternoon.

I agree completely about the coachspeak...but I think he will throw some downfield because, well, he really has to...

swiseman
09-12-2018, 11:47 AM
I talked with Matt Guerrieri and Michael Carter II yesterday in addition to our press conference with Cutcliffe. Gained some insight on how the defensive backfield will look without Gilbert for the rest of the season. Here's the link:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article218218530.html

budwom
09-12-2018, 11:52 AM
I talked with Matt Guerrieri and Michael Carter II yesterday in addition to our press conference with Cutcliffe. Gained some insight on how the defensive backfield will look without Gilbert for the rest of the season. Here's the link:

good, Steve...I was at the NW game and watched Carter a whole lot, he really is an aggressive, solid CB...I'm really impressed...but Baylor has some speed guys he'll have to be ready for...all the young talent in the secondary is impressive, more speed than I can remember...

75Crazie
09-12-2018, 12:04 PM
I wish you would move inland for the storm. In any event, be well...
I will take this opportunity, as an out-of-stater, to wish everybody in the Carolinas the very best of luck with this upcoming storm. And for those in the coastal plain areas, please please re-consider if you have the opportunity to evacuate but do not plan to.

Avvocato
09-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Thanks, Steve. Great update. Any talk of when McDuffie will be back? Seems like he is further away from playing than originally hinted at.

If our front four doesn't get consistent pressure, i would expect more blitz packages to try and help our young secondary, so they won't have to cover as long. Of course, blitzes can also expose them to big plays. I can see Baylor trying to attack Johnson this week. I also wonder if our lack of experience in the secondary gets exposed, whether we go to a more traditional 4-3-4 alignment. I guess everything is on the table, and we'll see how the team reacts. I certainly think the secondary will be tested Saturday. Excited to see the young ones rise to the challenge.

rtnorthrup
09-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Great article. I remember an interview with Nick saban a couple of years ago where he said there is no longer a distinction between CB and S. He said all DBs need to be able to cover, play in space, and tackle.

swiseman
09-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Great article. I remember an interview with Nick saban a couple of years ago where he said there is no longer a distinction between CB and S. He said all DBs need to be able to cover, play in space, and tackle.

Thanks. Yes Duke has certainly taken that approach. Carter said they talked to him about it during the recruiting process so what he's gone through switching back and forth so often isn't a surprise to him.

Reilly
09-12-2018, 12:37 PM
wait and see is the best approach. As much as I love Cut, he has a history of Coach speak ...

I agree completely about the coachspeak...but I think he will throw some downfield because, well, he really has to...

Watch Cut's press conference linked above if you haven't. I got the sense the QH part was a bit coachspeak.

That said, what came through in a very genuine way was how amped and focused Cut was -- he said something about going 900 mph. There's been a lot going on -- travel from Chicago, two stars under the knife, hurricane-interrupted travel to Texas, figuring how to replace the stars. But Cut seems even more engaged and focused than ever (if that's possible). If I were a betting man, I'd take Duke and the points. Cut took over at Ole Miss in December and won a bowl game with somebody else's players. I think he can tape this thing together with his own backups, and I hope all the emotion from the week is not spent, but building on itself, and can be properly channeled.

devildeac
09-12-2018, 01:51 PM

Great stuff, Steve! Thanks again for sharing with us!

someotherdavid
09-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Daniel Jones to Quay Chambers TD play starts at :38 second mark of the video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9wdmpy96ow

Chambers slips behind the defense because of a slight hesitation as if to set-up to block and ND commits two defenders to Wilson on the flare route (bubble screen).

The horizontal pass play serves a purpose I will leave it at that.

What about "show, don't throw" as a compromise?

budwom
09-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Steve. Great update. Any talk of when McDuffie will be back? Seems like he is further away from playing than originally hinted at.

If our front four doesn't get consistent pressure, i would expect more blitz packages to try and help our young secondary, so they won't have to cover as long. Of course, blitzes can also expose them to big plays. I can see Baylor trying to attack Johnson this week. I also wonder if our lack of experience in the secondary gets exposed, whether we go to a more traditional 4-3-4 alignment. I guess everything is on the table, and we'll see how the team reacts. I certainly think the secondary will be tested Saturday. Excited to see the young ones rise to the challenge.

I am very much wanting to think our front four can get the necessary pressure by themselves to preclude too many blitzes..those guys were terrific vs Northwestern.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-12-2018, 04:24 PM
I am very much wanting to think our front four can get the necessary pressure by themselves to preclude too many blitzes..those guys were terrific vs Northwestern.

When did Duke last have a good defensive line? Under Mike McGee?

duke2x
09-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Any predictions for the score/outcome/over-under from the DBR faithful yet? If there aren't, I'll start the victory parade:

Duke 21
BU 14

I have no idea what Cut has planned. Baylor has not been good at rush D at all, and it may rain. It is easy to forget the game last year was only 24-20 in the 4th quarter and Oklahoma only beat them by 4 the next week. I think the injuries have eliminated the trap/Superbowl/Maryland "rivalry" part of this game that I was worried about in August. I still see a virtual tossup, however.

If Duke rushes for 200+ yards: Duke 21, Baylor 20. ** We had 246 last year.
If Baylor passes for 300+ yards: Baylor 27, Duke 17. ** They had 263 last year with 3 INTs.

OldPhiKap
09-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Coach Rhule’s comments today:

https://sicem365.com/s/3200/watch-coach-matt-rhule-speaks-before-practice-on-wednesday/2

jimsumner
09-12-2018, 11:58 PM
I have no idea what Cut has planned. Baylor has not been good at rush D at all, and it may rain. It is easy to forget the game last year was only 24-20 in the 4th quarter and Oklahoma only beat them by 4 the next week. I think the injuries have eliminated the trap/Superbowl/Maryland "rivalry" part of this game that I was worried about in August. I still see a virtual tossup, however.

If Duke rushes for 200+ yards: Duke 21, Baylor 20. ** We had 246 last year.
If Baylor passes for 300+ yards: Baylor 27, Duke 17. ** They had 263 last year with 3 INTs.

What happens if Duke rushes for 200+ yards and Baylor passes for 300+ yards?

ehdg
09-13-2018, 10:31 AM

A tie game that goes to OT? :)

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Will that 300 include two TDs of plus 70 yards?

chrishoke
09-13-2018, 11:32 AM

Uniform for Saturday.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 11:41 AM

Uniform for Saturday.

For a heat index of 95, that's the right uni to wear. I also like how it looks.

cato
09-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Uniform for Saturday.

With the script Duke on the helmet, it looks like. Nice.

wilson
09-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Uniform for Saturday.I'm almost afraid to ask this, but...
I've seen precious little (no?) black on our uniforms so far this season. I assume that at some point they'll trot out some preposterously ugly XTREME COOL AND TOUGH EDITION with blue on black "bruise edition" color scheme or something, but other than that, can I safely assume that we're finally free of this scourge upon our teams' sartorial magnificence?

mattman91
09-13-2018, 12:33 PM
I'm almost afraid to ask this, but...
I've seen precious little (no?) black on our uniforms so far this season. I assume that at some point they'll trot out some preposterously ugly XTREME COOL AND TOUGH EDITION with blue on black "bruise edition" color scheme or something, but other than that, can I safely assume that we're finally free of this scourge upon our teams' sartorial magnificence?

I know I'm in the minority, but I love the black and blue look, especially with the flat black helmet. Traditional? No. Bad(wanker)? Yes!

cato
09-13-2018, 12:42 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I love the black and blue look, especially with the flat black helmet. Traditional? No. Bad(wanker)? Yes!

Me too. I love our traditional colors, but also appreciate the black.

And I suspect lots of people out there agree. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be any black unis.

But the average DBR poster is not going to come around on this one.

mattman91
09-13-2018, 12:45 PM

And I suspect lots of people out there agree. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be any black unis.

Yeah, we should probably get off their lawn...

BigWayne
09-13-2018, 12:58 PM
I'm almost afraid to ask this, but...

If you go to the twitter page for the FB equipment crew, (https://twitter.com/DukeFBEquipment) you can see all of the possible permutations flash by in the weekly uniform reveal posts.

Yes, there are some combinations including black and/or gray that you might find to be to or against your liking.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2018, 01:03 PM
I wish we would go back to leather helmets. 😡

devildeac
09-13-2018, 01:05 PM
"Duke, we thy anthems raise
For all thy praises untold
We sing for the Blue and White and black and gray
Whose colors we uphold
Firm stand our line of blue and black and gray
For we are loyal through and through
All for the love of old DU..."

(bolded mine :p)

Nah, doesn't work musically/lyrically either. :rolleyes:

CameronBlue
09-13-2018, 01:21 PM
I wish we would go back to leather helmets. 😡

Tricky, not a lot of folks can pull off the leather look and for Waco?...Could be the wrong message to send unless the team changes its nickname to the Duke Blue Divas.

Acymetric
09-13-2018, 01:24 PM
If you go to the twitter page for the FB equipment crew, (https://twitter.com/DukeFBEquipment) you can see all of the possible permutations flash by in the weekly uniform reveal posts.

Yes, there are some combinations including black and/or gray that you might find to be to or against your liking.

I really don't like that particular look (although I'm ok with the black unis generally). I'm not sure what would make that awful gray jersey look ok...maybe blue pants or a blue helmet? Very high-school/FCS looking (to me).

OldPhiKap
09-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Georgetown's colors are blue and grey. Maybe we can just call ourselves the Bulldogs for a week.

Hoya Saxa, y'all.

wilson
09-13-2018, 01:37 PM

I really don't like that particular look (although I'm ok with the black unis generally). I'm not sure what would make that awful gray jersey look ok...maybe blue pants or a blue helmet? Very high-school/FCS looking (to me).

Georgetown's colors are blue and grey. Maybe we can just call ourselves the Bulldogs for a week.

Hoya Saxa, y'all.MY EYES!!!
Good grief, that is horrid.

BigWayne
09-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Went through all the looks.

There are:
4 pants - Blue, White, Black, and Gray.
4 jerseys - Blue w/white shoulder stripes, White with blue stripes, Black w/blue and white stripes, and Gray with black shoulders.
Helmets are hard to see in their videos but I can see these variations - White D, White Script, Blue D, Blue Script, Blue Devil Head, Gray Devil Head, Black with blue stripe and blue decal on side, probably the D.
2 socks - black and white - most of the combos use white socks.
Shoes seem to always be blue.

The options they show include what would be thought of as traditional looks, newish looks, as well as some odd combinations that will probably have a very small following.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Went through all the looks.

There are:
4 pants - Blue, White, Black, and Gray.
4 jerseys - Blue w/white shoulder stripes, White with blue stripes, Black w/blue and white stripes, and Gray with black shoulders.
Helmets are hard to see in their videos but I can see these variations - White D, White Script, Blue D, Blue Script, Blue Devil Head, Gray Devil Head, Black with blue stripe and blue decal on side, probably the D.
2 socks - black and white - most of the combos use white socks.
Shoes seem to always be blue.

The options they show include what would be thought of as traditional looks, newish looks, as well as some odd combinations that will probably have a very small following.

Thanks for the breakdown. Personally, I think the Devils head looks cartoonish - don't like it. I think the Iron D and the script look really good in all colors. Still wish they'd get one of those shiny metallic looking helmets.

Bob Green
09-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Uniform for Saturday.

One of my favorite uniform combinations is this week's all white. The all blue is another favorite. My absolutely most best favorite uniform combination is whatever we are wearing when we win! :cool:

cato
09-13-2018, 04:12 PM
My absolutely most best favorite uniform combination is whatever we are wearing when we win! :cool:

And/or ringing the Victory Bell, knowing that we are going bowling. I’ve never seen Duke Football players dressed better.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2018, 04:51 PM

Well, I'm not your average Duke fan. Not average in any way. I don't like the black or gray uniforms. I do like the all white, like we're wearing this week, blue jersey with white pants or white jersey with blue pants. I even like the blue jersey with blue pants. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif Nope, don't see any black or gray in any of those combinations! I like both the white and the blue helmets, both with Duke in script or the traditional "D" on the sides and contrasting stripes down the middle, either one bold or two thin. No black in the helmet combinations.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

luvdahops
09-13-2018, 05:07 PM
One of my favorite uniform combinations is this week's all white. The all blue is another favorite. My absolutely most best favorite uniform combination is whatever we are wearing when we win! :cool:

I'm a traditionalist. Prefer one helmet, 2 jerseys, 2 pants as basic package; blue jersey with white pants, white jersey with blue pants. Favorite helmet is the Blue with D, but like White with D also, never been a fan of the script (looks cheesy in my view). One alternate set is OK, worn as an ensemble once per year (not counting bowl game) and must incorporate official school colors, even if base is black or platinum. No mix and match. Ever.

Now get off my lawn...

budwom
09-13-2018, 05:15 PM
I'm with bob, wear whatever color wins.
Have we discussed the hideously drab unis NW donned last week? Like a War On Color.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2018, 05:31 PM
Have we discussed the hideously drab unis NW donned last week? Like a War On Color.

And you see where that got them!

duke79
09-13-2018, 05:38 PM
I'm a traditionalist. Prefer one helmet, 2 jerseys, 2 pants as basic package; blue jersey with white pants, white jersey with blue pants. Favorite helmet is the Blue with D, but like White with D also, never been a fan of the script (looks cheesy in my view). One alternate set is OK, worn as an ensemble once per year (not counting bowl game) and must incorporate official school colors, even if base is black or platinum. No mix and match. Ever.

Now get off my lawn...

Totally agree with you here! I liked the traditional Duke blue helmet last week with the "D" on it. I don't like the script either. It IS cheesy.

I hated the NW uniforms - truly ugly. No wonder they lost!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Totally agree with you here! I liked the traditional Duke blue helmet last week with the "D" on it. I don't like the script either. It IS cheesy.

I hated the NW uniforms - truly ugly. No wonder they lost!

Well I have some graphic art and logo experience...and by all metrics, both the Iron D and the Script Duke are effective logos. I like them both. Of course, it's a matter of personal tastes. And yeah, the NW unis were without excuse last weekend. Maybe they didn't want to risk the dark purple with a noon (11 am) game temps. But really, YUCK.

UPDATE: Steve Wiseman on Baylor pod cast...

mattman91
09-13-2018, 06:54 PM

They were ugly, but I liked the patriotic helmets.

DU82
09-13-2018, 07:05 PM
On the uniforms, I like the ‘60s devil head. We wore that logo during our bowl win against Indiana, so it’s become a favorite. Otherwise, I root for and want to see the Blue and White.

The grey uniforms were worn as a one off tribute to the WWII Blue Devil squadron. So they were OK. I’ve not thought the black uniforms have been “OK” for quite a while. :)

On to the game, I wish I was able to go, but Southwest cancelled all flights from RDU today and tomorrow (and likely Saturday morning.). Interested in seeing Harris play, hope we haven’t seen what he can actually do. I think the D will be fine, and I expect a 21-14 good guys win.

rtnorthrup
09-13-2018, 07:27 PM
I'm much more bothered that the "blue" helmets are a different shade of "blue" than the "blue" pants/shirts, than I am about incorporating black into our unis.

The grey unis are hideous, they just look like someone washed our whites with a black pair of undies.

devildeac
09-13-2018, 08:30 PM
Any predictions for the score/outcome/over-under from the DBR faithful yet?

If there aren't, I'll start the victory parade:

Duke 21
BU 14

On the uniforms, I like the ‘60s devil head. We wore that logo during our bowl win against Indiana, so it’s become a favorite. Otherwise, I root for and want to see the Blue and White.

The grey uniforms were worn as a one off tribute to the WWII Blue Devil squadron. So they were OK. I’ve not thought the black uniforms have been “OK” for quite a while. :)

On to the game, I wish I was able to go, but Southwest cancelled all flights from RDU today and tomorrow (and likely Saturday morning.). Interested in seeing Harris play, hope we haven’t seen what he can actually do. I think the D will be fine, and I expect a 21-14 good guys win.

I'm sorry sir, but that seat is taken. ;)

richmclean
09-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Sorry old school here but not so much to adopt the Pinstripe Bowl Devil helmets. Ok if ur in the stadium but on TV the helmet looked like blue mushy peas.

The devil head or D emblem are the Duke brand. We don’t need three versions of a brand like Deion Sanders.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2018, 08:56 PM
The team did their walk through today at Midway High School in Waco, Texas. The weight room and indoor practice facility rival most Division I programs!

sagegrouse
09-13-2018, 09:08 PM
The team did their walk through today at Midway High School in Waco, Texas. The weight room and indoor practice facility rival most Division I programs!

Yep. I attended a HS playoff game in Houston that had 50,000 in attendance -- and it wasn't even the semifinals or finals.

swiseman
09-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Well I have some graphic art and logo experience...and by all metrics, both the Iron D and the Script Duke are effective logos. I like them both. Of course, it's a matter of personal tastes. And yeah, the NW unis were without excuse last weekend. Maybe they didn't want to risk the dark purple with a noon (11 am) game temps. But really, YUCK.

UPDATE: Steve Wiseman on Baylor pod cast...

I had a blast podcasting with my ink-stained brethren from the Waco Tribune. Good conversation about Saturday's game.

Link here: https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/one-true-podcast-avoiding-the-week-blues-as-duke-comes/article_fdb77370-266c-559b-a72f-9c2c8f58d8b1.html

devildeac
09-13-2018, 09:46 PM
I had a blast podcasting with my ink-stained brethren from the Waco Tribune. Good conversation about Saturday's game.

Link here: https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/one-true-podcast-avoiding-the-week-blues-as-duke-comes/article_fdb77370-266c-559b-a72f-9c2c8f58d8b1.html

Another hearty thank you for sharing that! More good stuff!

duke2x
09-14-2018, 12:21 AM

Something between those two outcomes. ;)

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Dave harding’s interview with Harris on GoDuke inspired some confidence in me. QH is poised and does not seem overawed. All business, sounded like a vet.

Which of course he is.

Can’t wait to see what he can do!

Avvocato
09-14-2018, 08:27 AM

Thanks, Steve. Seemed like at times those guys forgot you were on the phone and just kept yapping amongst themselves. Good stuff. Thanks again.

Reilly
09-14-2018, 10:03 AM
... QH is poised and does not seem overawed ...

One good thing about watching the NU game on TV rather than from the stands was being able to see close-ups of QH breaking the huddle, looking to the sidelines, etc. and seeing the look in his eyes. He did seem poised and in control of the situation -- I remarked on that at the time to a friend, and then Cut mentioned "no cadence issues" etc in his press conference. Cut cares about doing all the little things right, and if you do that, that can take you a long way, and QH seems prepared and ready in that regard.

Bob Green
09-14-2018, 10:18 AM
Jim Sumner on the quarterback situation:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/14/17858520/for-duke-football-its-quentin-harris-time-david-cutcliffe-quarterback

Coach Cutcliffe quote:

“Quentin Harris knows this offense. He works hard at everything he does. I have a lot of admiration for his readiness. He went into the game the other day. They were no cadence issues, no read issues. I thought he did an outstanding job and he’s obviously getting a full week of preparation.”

Receiver Johnathan Lloyd and linebacker Joe Giles-Harris express complete confidence in Quentin Harris. Whatever happens on Saturday, Quentin Harris has the full backing of his teammates.

devildeac
09-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Jim Sumner on the quarterback situation:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/14/17858520/for-duke-football-its-quentin-harris-time-david-cutcliffe-quarterback

Coach Cutcliffe quote:

Receiver Johnathan Lloyd and linebacker Joe Giles-Harris express complete confidence in Quentin Harris. Whatever happens on Saturday, Quentin Harris has the full backing of his teammates.

Very comforting to read. Thanks for finding/quoting, Bob.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 10:49 AM
I am confident that Cut will have a good game plan, and that QH is ready to go. Next man up, and everyone step up.

Challenges are opportunities.

We got this.

devildeac
09-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Any injury reports beyond Gilbert and Jones?

Hoping to hear good/improving news about Brown, McDuffie and Young.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2018, 11:40 AM

dittos....and with me, especially Young.....

budwom
09-14-2018, 11:51 AM

Our injury report generally consists of seeing who doesn't play.

Banana
09-14-2018, 12:20 PM
8653 My updated Depth Chart for the Baylor game is attached. Given all of the recent injuries, there have been a bunch of changes. As usual, the names of all of the injured players are provided in red type.

I'm leaving Daniel Jones in the number 1 QB position, because he is expected back sometime in October. Since Katrenick is now listed on the second team behind Harris on the official depth chart, I have moved Katrenick ahead of Holmberg. If neither Harris nor Katrenick performs well in Jones' absence, I would not be surprised to see Holmberg come in. I have moved Mark Gilbert to the bottom of the list of cornerbacks, because he is out for the season. Last I heard, Aaron Young, Zach Harris and Jeremy McDuffie were described by Coach Cut as "day-to-day", which I assume means they may or may not play against Baylor.

Beyond the first four wide receivers (all designated as starters on the official depth chart), none of our wide receivers has a reception (or more than 12 snaps) for the season. Since Young is listed as day-to-day and Chris Taylor has only 8 yards on 2 receptions, it sure would be nice for one or more of the backup receivers to step up this week.

Defensive tackle Ben Frye and safety Jordan Hayes still don't have any snaps, even though they are second teamers on the official depth chart. Mysteriously, safety Brandon Feamster, who, unlike Hayes, is not even listed on the official depth chart, has 35 snaps.

Dimukeje, Jordan, Cerenord, Giles-Harris, Humphreys, Quansah, Carter, Singleton and Waters all have impressive statistics (tackles, tackles-for-loss, turnovers, QB hurries and/or blocked kicks) after just two games. No wonder so many of us are excited about this defense!

jimsumner
09-14-2018, 12:32 PM
8653 My updated Depth Chart for the Baylor game is attached. Given all of the recent injuries, there have been a bunch of changes. As usual, the names of all of the injured players are provided in red type.

I'm leaving Daniel Jones in the number 1 QB position, because he is expected back sometime in October. Since Katrenick is now listed on the second team behind Harris on the official depth chart, I have moved Katrenick ahead of Holmberg. If neither Harris nor Katrenick performs well in Jones' absence, I would not be surprised to see Holmberg come in. I have moved Mark Gilbert to the bottom of the list of cornerbacks, because he is out for the season. Last I heard, Aaron Young, Zach Harris and Jeremy McDuffie were described by Coach Cut as "day-to-day", which I assume means they may or may not play against Baylor.

Beyond the first four wide receivers (all designated as starters on the official depth chart), none of our wide receivers has a reception (or more than 12 snaps) for the season. Since Young is listed as day-to-day and Chris Taylor has only 8 yards on 2 receptions, it sure would be nice for one or more of the backup receivers to step up this week.

Defensive tackle Ben Frye and safety Jordan Hayes still don't have any snaps, even though they are second teamers on the official depth chart. Mysteriously, safety Brandon Feamster, who, unlike Hayes, is not even listed on the official depth chart, has 35 snaps.

Dimukeje, Jordan, Cerenord, Giles-Harris, Humphreys, Quansah, Carter, Singleton and Waters all have impressive statistics (tackles, tackles-for-loss, turnovers, QB hurries and/or blocked kicks) after just two games. No wonder so many of us are excited about this defense!

Zach Harmon. Not Harris.

Jordan Hayes has simply been beaten out by younger players, most notably Leonard Johnson.

Keep in mind that the snap totals include special teams. So, a player like Feamster can get a lot of snaps without actually playing his nominal position very much.

swiseman
09-14-2018, 01:08 PM

The ACC coaches voted 12-2 last spring to discontinue injury reports. (Cutcliffe and Paul Johnson were the two dissenters). So we no longer get updates on Thursday like we have over the last seven years. Have to wait until game day to get the official word. I believe this will be a one-year situation. By next season, the NCAA will institute national injury report guidelines. Currently it is left up to each conference. But this current situation is untenable with sportsbooks popping up all over the country.

Bob Green
09-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Spotlight on Brittain Brown:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211771381&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Video clip with game highlights and interviews with Brown, running backs coach Boyette, center Zach Harmon and head coach Cutcliffe.

budwom
09-14-2018, 01:13 PM
In the NW game there was a bit of shuffling going on, too, not just second teamers filling in for starters. Specifically, Wohlabaugh came in at center and Harmon shifted over to RG; (Baker filled in for Santos a fair amount at LG)..other than that not much subbing...+

as Jim said, quite a few guys played a lot of special teams snaps but weren't evident otherwise.

devildeac
09-14-2018, 01:21 PM
The ACC coaches voted 12-2 last spring to discontinue injury reports. (Cutcliffe and Paul Johnson were the two dissenters). So we no longer get updates on Thursday like we have over the last seven years. Have to wait until game day to get the official word. I believe this will be a one-year situation. By next season, the NCAA will institute national injury report guidelines. Currently it is left up to each conference. But this current situation is untenable with sportsbooks popping up all over the country.

Maybe the only time those two agree on anything? ;):rolleyes:

Thanks, Steve. I knew injury reports had been "suspended" but this is nice background info to learn.

swiseman
09-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Maybe the only time those two agree on anything? ;):rolleyes:

Thanks, Steve. I knew injury reports had been "suspended" but this is nice background info to learn.

That's for sure about Cut and CPJ! The rest of the coaches don't trust each other. But they are just opening up their players to bad situations. Gamblers will do whatever they can to get information. That's why the NFL is so strict about its injury reporting policies.

75Crazie
09-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Just curious if I am the only one that has any kind of concern at all regarding collegiate athletic policy being driven by the gambling industry.

devildeac
09-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Just curious if I am the only one that has any kind of concern at all regarding collegiate athletic policy being driven by the gambling industry.

Who would you rather have driving it, the ncaa?

(kidding-mostly)

Avvocato
09-14-2018, 02:22 PM
I am confident that Cut will have a good game plan, and that QH is ready to go. Next man up, and everyone step up.

Challenges are opportunities.

We got this.

I largely agree with this. Of course, on the one hand, these guys have to express confidence. They can't tell us, nor do we want them to believe, we are up the creek. I also don't get much confidence from Cut saying that there were no cadence issues. While true, and glad there weren't any, a redshirt junior quarterback should be able to call the play, do the snap count, and get the snap. We shouldn't be holding our breath on that part of the play. With that said, I have no doubt that physically he can make the throws we need. Hopefully, he can settle down, make the proper reads, make good decisions, and protect the football. We don't need him to be a hero. We just need him to make enough throws to keep the chains moving, keep the defense honest (and hopefully off-balance), and get the ball to the our skilled players to make plays. Don't lose the game. I agree that with a week to prepare, Cut will have a good game plan, Harris will be mentally prepared, and we are ready to go. I'm expecting Harris to play well (or well enough). It wouldn't shock me if Quentin is nervous early (I actually expect it). Hopefully, we can manage that part of the game and escape early with no catastrophic plays until he settles in. We need our defense to set a tone early, keep us in the game, and not force us to play heavy catch up. I think if we keep it together early, we'll surprise Baylor, 20-16. Of course, I may just be talking myself into this. In any case, can't wait.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2018, 02:23 PM

3-1 says you're not.

Bob Green
09-14-2018, 05:06 PM
Prediction: Duke 27, Baylor 21

I'll stick with the six point spread established in Vegas but Duke will come out on top.

Keys to the Game:

1. Duke will have to establish the passing game to set-up the run. Yes, this is the opposite of what I always say but, with Quentin Harris starting I expect Baylor will load the box to stop our running game. Harris is going to have to prove he is an accurate passer to loosen up the Baylor defense.

2. After some successful pass plays, give Baylor a steady dose of Brittain Brown and Deon Jackson mixing in pass plays to keep the Bears defense off balance. Duke is best when the offense is balanced so it is important to achieve balance.

3. The defensive line and linebackers must pressure the Baylor quarterback. With the speed Baylor has at wide receiver, QBs Charlie Brewer and Jalan McClendon cannot be allowed to sit in the pocket and go through their progressions.

4. Speed kills! The defensive backs have to understand this against Baylor and keep those speedy wide receivers in front of them. If those gazelles get behind our defense, watch out.

The main thing I will be looking for tomorrow is a great big S on Quentin Harris' chest! That S does not stand for Superman; it does not stand for Spectacular; it stands for Solid. A solid performance from Harris will result in a win for Duke.

Reilly
09-15-2018, 06:15 AM
Gameday. "Dear old Duke thy name we sing ..."

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 07:52 AM
“ . . . To thee our voices raise, we'll raise . . .”

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Keys to the Game:

1. Duke will have to establish the passing game to set-up the run. Yes, this is the opposite of what I always say but, with Quentin Harris starting I expect Baylor will load the box to stop our running game. Harris is going to have to prove he is an accurate passer to loosen up the Baylor defense.

I actually think a lot of teams now use the pass to set up the run, and I agree Duke needs to do that this week. What would be very interesting is to see Duke come out on their first possession in a two tight end set - play action to Brittain - and go deep. No way Baylor wouldn't bite on the play action......

OZZIE4DUKE
09-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Just win, baby! LGD GTHc! 9F!

budwom
09-15-2018, 11:44 AM
Win or lose, this shall forever be known as the Jason Pokes The Bear game.

-jk
09-15-2018, 02:59 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

peloton
09-15-2018, 03:24 PM
I may be in England (and somewhat under the influence) but right now my heart is w/the Blue Devils in TX! Let's go Duke!!!!! Beat the Bears!

wilson
09-15-2018, 04:32 PM
The defense looks fantastic so far...good penetration on big plays to snuff out a couple of drives, plus the blocked punt just now to keep Baylor scoreless.

CameronBlue
09-15-2018, 04:36 PM
The defense looks fantastic so far...good penetration on big plays to snuff out a couple of drives, plus the blocked punt just now to keep Baylor scoreless.

Daniel who? Wow, Harris really comes up big.

Ballboy1998
09-15-2018, 04:36 PM
Beautiful play calling so far today. And solid execution to go with it! LGD!

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Daniel who? Wow, Harris really comes up big.

I like how QH threw seven incompletes in a row intentionally, just to suck Baylor in.

CameronBlue
09-15-2018, 04:42 PM
I like how QH threw seven incompletes in a row intentionally, just to suck Baylor in.

It's some next level genius that few people can comprehend. No flies on you buddy.

wilson
09-15-2018, 05:02 PM
I like how QH threw seven incompletes in a row intentionally, just to suck Baylor in.I thiiiink he might be finding his rhythm...

dukelifer
09-15-2018, 05:02 PM
Big play surprises Baylor

Indoor66
09-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Q who? He da man.

wilson
09-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Wow. If you were looking for anything more out of the first half, then you’re just greedy.
The defense was very stout in pitching a shutout, Quentin Harris really seemed to get into a groove in the 2nd quarter, and the running game provided a steady offensive foundation. The missed XP on the last touchdown is the only place to find reasonable fault, but with Wareham also knocking through a solid 34-yard FG, it seems silly to get worked up about that one hiccup.
Fantastic overall half by the whole team. If they continue to progress over the course of the season, 9 or 10 regular season wins are not at all unrealistic.

WakeDevil
09-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Would you care to mention the dropped passes?

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 05:19 PM

We played very well that first half. No turnovers, good play calling, no penalties IIRC.

Baylor shot itself in the foot a bunch. Dropped passes, untimely penalties, the fumble.

I remember when we were the latter team, not the former.

CameronBlue
09-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Duke defense continues to amaze. 5 consecutive scoreless quarters.
Duke offense: 262 yards 1st half. Those are Guilford College type numbers!

Bob Green
09-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Offensive balance: 142 yards passing, 120 yards rushing. :cool:

CameronBlue
09-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Duke must fight complacency and remember they led TAMU 38-17 at the half. Texas football is not to be underestimated.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Duke must fight complacency and remember they led TAMU 38-17 at the half. Texas football is not to be underestimated.

Yup, was thinking the same thing.

Baylor will come out fired up, I expect. Play smart and don’t play stall ball.

Jaymf7
09-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Anyone hear what happened to Carter? Please no more db injuries. On the plus side for him, nice to see the announcers repeatedly declare him our second best defensive player (sorry, Joe and many others)...

WakeDevil
09-15-2018, 05:47 PM
There seem to be a lot of people disguised as empty seats.

UrinalCake
09-15-2018, 05:47 PM

Part of Baylor’s strategy to not have the ensuing fumbles count.

ehdg
09-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Damn not a nice start to 2nd half. Need the offense to get some good drives n Defense needs to step it back up! Let’s go Duke!

CameronBlue
09-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Well that changes things.

DukieInKansas
09-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Drat! Need to get our heads back into this game.

Indoor66
09-15-2018, 06:04 PM
A real flip between the halves.

ehdg
09-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Damn 10 unanswered points n Baylor right back in this game. Looking like we got too conservative to start 3rd quarter. Need to pick it up n get our heads back in this n offense rolling!

ChrisP
09-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Ugh, exactly what I feared - three & out to start the half, then a TD by Baylor and...wheels starting to fall off. Let's put a drive together!

ehdg
09-15-2018, 06:12 PM
Great response by the offense! Back up 17!

ChrisP
09-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Way to respond!!! Beautiful pass & catch! NICE...

ehdg
09-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Very nice way to end the 3rd quarter. Let’s go 15 minutes to play. Offense run some clock n Defense keep playing stout! Let’s go Duke!

peloton
09-15-2018, 06:26 PM
Let's go Devils! Close this one out in the usual fashion (no scoring by the opponent in the 4th quarter).

WakeDevil
09-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Quit yapping. Play the game. Should have been a flag.

Ballboy1998
09-15-2018, 06:34 PM
If we continue at this rate, we aren’t going to have enough guys to field a team in a few weeks.

ehdg
09-15-2018, 06:36 PM
Damn there goes the 4th quarter shutout! ;(. Ned to start another! But first need to get offense to get some drives n run off clock to sock this away n win! Go Duke!

Faison1
09-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Finally!! A run NOT UP THE MIDDLE!!!

What is the deal???

ehdg
09-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Nice answer by the Offense ran some time off the clock n got a Field Go to go back up 13 with 5 minutes to play! Defense needs to come up big with a stop! Let’s go Duke!

moonpie23
09-15-2018, 06:46 PM
they have to throw it down the field.....Defense needs to be ready...a pick ends this...

moonpie23
09-15-2018, 06:47 PM
they have to throw it down the field....Defense needs to be ready...a pick ends this...

man, i hate being right....

ehdg
09-15-2018, 06:48 PM
What a play by the Defense! Pick 6 to ice the game! Way to go Duke!

dukelifer
09-15-2018, 06:49 PM
great play from the D. One more stop and ball game.

ChrisP
09-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Niiiiice! Our D is impressive!

dukelifer
09-15-2018, 06:59 PM
man, i hate being right...

Not really fair- you are in the future

jwillfan
09-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Bob you were soooo close! Too conservative in your win prediction...

dukelifer
09-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Impressive win given the circumstances. Nice sportsmanship by the Baylor coach who made an effort to talk to Harris after the game on his first win as a starter.

SavDukeGrad
09-15-2018, 07:11 PM
Do we know anything about all the guys who were banged up today? Carter?

buddy
09-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Impressive win given the circumstances. Nice sportsmanship by the Baylor coach who made an effort to talk to Harris after the game on his first win as a starter.

I'm sure Larry Fedora would have done the same.

tteettimes
09-15-2018, 07:29 PM
Reminder: classes for Monday in Chapel Hell are canceled 😈😈😈😉😉😉

Indoor66
09-15-2018, 07:29 PM

Why? No athletes attend anyway.

timmy c
09-15-2018, 07:32 PM

Can you cancel classes that don't actually meet?

Tripping William
09-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Solid road win. Q held his own & the D came through.

Bob Green
09-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Offensive balance: 225 yards rushing, 174 yards passing.

44 rushes for 225 = 5.1 yards per carry.
30 passes for 174 = 5.8 yards per attempt.

Passing ypa is low but the 3 TD passes were very nice. Quentin Harris proved he can accurately throw the ball.

75Crazie
09-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Really? This is coming from a Duke fan?

WakeDevil
09-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Does that make the observation inaccurate? Baylor is in Texas, not North Carolina. I didn't say something stupid, such as their BBQ is better than ours.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Somehow, we will fall further out of the top 25 we are already not in.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-15-2018, 07:45 PM

They have the same problem we do. Home fans sit in the shade on the camera side. The camera faces the side in the sun where no one wants to sit in the heat this time of year. So attendance wasn't great, but it looks much worse than it was.

Nice win. Balanced attack. Great to see Harris get us the win. There were plenty of excuses to lose and we didn't do it.

Bob Green
09-15-2018, 07:46 PM

I'm not sure about that. There are not a lot of teams out there with two P5 road victories. We will get more votes this week but we will have to beat NCCU and VT to break into the Top 25. One game at a time...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
How about those co-defensive coordinators! They work together quite well. ;)

Bob Green
09-15-2018, 07:55 PM
Through three games including two P5 opponents:

Points per game: 31.67
Points allowed: 16

That's not shabby...almost double.

Faison1
09-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Totally agree....we get ZERO respect!!

We hold Northwestern to 7 points on their field a week after they hung 30+ points at Purdue on a nationally televised game. We beat Army handily, who just beat Hawaii on the road today. We put 40 points on Baylor with our backup QB.

Yet, somehow we gain minimal votes every week.

I think it's going to require a win over a top 25 team to get any type of recognition.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-15-2018, 08:18 PM
Great win on the road! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Really nice first game by QH. Another couple of weeks experience and he'll start making better reads when he's rushed, but solid win and nice "touch" on the two long TD passes! LGD! GTHc! 9F! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

PDDuke85
09-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Depth wins. The offense was enough to get it done and props to QH for not trying to be Daniel. Moving forward, I invite any future opponent to wear gray. Seriously, wear gray.

So sick of house arrest due to Florence. Hope all is well and look forward to next weekend at Wally Wade.

Wander
09-15-2018, 08:33 PM
There are not a lot of teams out there with two P5 road victories.

Pretty sure we're the only team, actually. It'll be tough to break into the 25 this week because the teams in the 18–25 range haven't lost (pending USC-Texas), but we'll definitely get there if we beat NCCU and VT.

Props to Cut for sticking with QH after he had a really bad start. Not sure I would have been patient enough to make the same decision.

Tappan Zee Devil
09-15-2018, 08:33 PM
They have the same problem we do. Home fans sit in the shade on the camera side. The camera faces the side in the sun where no one wants to sit in the heat this time of year. So attendance wasn't great, but it looks much worse than it was.

I watched the Army game on TV. There actually seemed to be a reasonable attendance on the crowd shots.

devildeac
09-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Really good win on the road, in the heat, down several outstanding starters, QB with his first college start and have 0 penalties and 0 turnovers.

Listen to Quants
09-15-2018, 08:49 PM

Passing ypa is low but the 3 TD passes were very nice. Quentin Harris proved he can accurately throw the ball.

There appeared to be a more-than-normal number of QB-receiver mix ups (particularly on dump offs), presumably due to Harris being in his first complete game. I'd expect those to fall as he gains experience. Those peculiar plays may explain a lot of a low per-attempt number.

Anybody have a good estimate of how good the 2018 version of the Baylor defense is? Overall they look very respectable (#46 on the FootballOutsiders combined rating ... which does not yet separate D and O). Note Duke was in the top 25 so clearly this is a fine measure.

Bob Green
09-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Anybody have a good estimate of how good the 2018 version of the Baylor defense is?

According to a close source, they are very, very bad. :cool:

ehdg
09-15-2018, 09:07 PM
QH definitely through some really nice passes in his first game. He had some really nice loft on some of the passes so his receivers could run under them n make the catch. He also made some really nice runs as well to keep drives a live. I think his passing helped open up our running game some. Very impressed with our Offensive n Defensive lines today. They both controlled the line of scrimmage to help us win. Also our young Defensive Backs played well against their speedy receivers. All in n all well played game throughout by our players!

Avvocato
09-15-2018, 09:11 PM

Most important stat: No turnovers.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 09:19 PM
I watched the Army game on TV. There actually seemed to be a reasonable attendance on the crowd shots.

But the early part of the Army game...the crowd shots were awful....it got better - as people filled in, and as the cameras got the angles right.

duke79
09-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Totally agree...we get ZERO respect!!

We hold Northwestern to 7 points on their field a week after they hung 30+ points at Purdue on a nationally televised game. We beat Army handily, who just beat Hawaii on the road today. We put 40 points on Baylor with our backup QB.

Yet, somehow we gain minimal votes every week.

I think it's going to require a win over a top 25 team to get any type of recognition.

Yea, Duke could beat Alabama by 20, in Tuscaloosa, and we still wouldn't be ranked in the top 25!

Avvocato
09-15-2018, 09:27 PM
Big props to QH, obviously. He’s not Daniel Jones by any means, but he made enough plays. I was very impressed by how he seemed to be in control of the offense, didn’t seem to be phased by the game or moment, wasn’t careless with the ball, and threw the ball away when appropriate. Our defense allowed us to play from ahead instead of forcing him to play catch up. However, when in the third quarter when Baylor got within 10 and we had gotten very conservative, Roper got more aggressive and QH responded to the pressure by leading that great drive to get the lead back to 17. QH was a great game manager today. With UNCC coming up, QH gets the perfect week to further develop with Cut and Roper. Probably the biggest result of today’s game is the belief that QH can give us a chance in DJ’s absence, and this team can still pursue its goals this season. As always, one game at a time, but such a big win for the program. Very proud alum today.

P.S.

Nice job by our receiving group. Lloyd and Rahming have been terrific, but the group in general has gotten open downfield and made plays. We even saw Bracey make a tough catch for a first down.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 09:31 PM

No turnovers and no penalties....amazing on those two counts.

And BTW, our safest offensive play was the long pass...ironically.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 09:36 PM
Really good win on the road, in the heat, down several outstanding starters, QB with his first college start and have 0 penalties and 0 turnovers.

key right there. Disciplined game with plenty of reasons for us to be not so.

dukelifer
09-15-2018, 09:54 PM
Big props to QH, obviously. He’s not Daniel Jones by any means, but he made enough plays. I was very impressed by how he seemed to be in control of the offense, didn’t seem to be phased by the game or moment, wasn’t careless with the ball, and threw the ball away when appropriate. Our defense allowed us to play from ahead instead of forcing him to play catch up. However, when in the third quarter when Baylor got within 10 and we had gotten very conservative, Roper got more aggressive and QH responded to the pressure by leading that great drive to get the lead back to 17. QH was a great game manager today. With UNCC coming up, QH gets the perfect week to further develop with Cut and Roper. Probably the biggest result of today’s game is the belief that QH can give us a chance in DJ’s absence, and this team can still pursue its goals this season. As always, one game at a time, but such a big win for the program. Very proud alum today.

P.S.

Nice job by our receiving group. Lloyd and Rahming have been terrific, but the group in general has gotten open downfield and made plays. We even saw Bracey make a tough catch for a first down.

Harris played with poise after a shaky start. That said- he runs a ton and puts himself in situations that can get him banged up for sure. Needs to run to the sidelines more. Still- a huge win with an excellent chance to go 4-0.

Jim3k
09-15-2018, 09:55 PM

If you don't count the blocked punt and ensuing TD.

arnie
09-15-2018, 10:03 PM
Harris played with poise after a shaky start. That said- he runs a ton and puts himself in situations that can get him banged up for sure. Needs to run to the sidelines more. Still- a huge win with an excellent chance to go 4-0.

Good point, he could easily be shaken up or worse in a future game. We should see who Cut considers the backup to Harris next week.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Good point, he could easily be shaken up or worse in a future game. We should see who Cut considers the backup to Harris next week.

Given the new rule that you can play up to four games without burning a redshirt, I would love to be in a position to see several folks play back there.

TNTDevil
09-15-2018, 10:51 PM
key right there. Disciplined game with plenty of reasons for us to be not so.Spot-on analysis.

We also, with the exception of 5-7 (O & D) series, dictated the play of the game. We were faster and more physical. Even late, when they kept getting the long QB keepers, it was a good trade-off. Let 'em run up the middle and burn clock.

Really, really good game plan and adjustments today.

I like this team immensely.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Given the new rule that you can play up to four games without burning a redshirt, I would love to be in a position to see several folks play back there.

pretty good chance we're gonna test this rule at DB, WR and QB before it's all said and done....

jimsumner
09-15-2018, 11:18 PM
The Duke Chronicle quotes Cutcliffe as saying Carter's injury appears to be a mild sprain. No ligament damage. MRI tomorrow to confirm.

Son of Jarhead
09-15-2018, 11:56 PM
With UNCC coming up, QH gets the perfect week to further develop...

Good analysis, but our next opponent is NCCU (North Carolina Central University), not UNCC (that's what Charlotte used to be called).

TNTDevil
09-16-2018, 12:19 AM
Good analysis, but our next opponent is NCCU (North Carolina Central University), not UNCC (that's what Charlotte used to be called).Almost went to Charlotte (UNCC back in those days). Grew-up in CLT, got accepted so early I got a room on campus (almost unheard of in those days). This was just after the incredible NCAA run by UNCC (Cedrick Maxwell...anybody?).

Then, fate intervened and I fell in love with Boone, NC and ASU.

Anyhoo, Q's gonna get a fantastic opportunity in the NCCU game.

See y'all there.

brevity
09-16-2018, 01:10 AM
There are not a lot of teams out there with two P5 road victories.

Pretty sure we're the only team, actually.

Not anymore. BYU is 2-1, but their wins are at Arizona and at Wisconsin.

Cincinnati is the only other FBS team with 2 road wins, period. They won at UCLA and Miami (OH). That's it for Week 3; none of the West Coast teams playing tonight can join them.

BigWayne
09-16-2018, 04:08 AM
Good analysis, but our next opponent is NCCU (North Carolina Central University), not UNCC (that's what Charlotte used to be called).

Yep, the game against UNCC is 9/19, but not until 2020.

Devilwin
09-16-2018, 07:11 AM
Almost went to Charlotte (UNCC back in those days). Grew-up in CLT, got accepted so early I got a room on campus (almost unheard of in those days). This was just after the incredible NCAA run by UNCC (Cedrick Maxwell...anybody?).

Then, fate intervened and I fell in love with Boone, NC and ASU.

Anyhoo, Q's gonna get a fantastic opportunity in the NCCU game.

See y'all there.

I remember Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell. He was a frequent guest on the Prime Time With The Pacman Show, with Mark Packer, (son of Billy Packer), and I was a caller to the show, and used to argue with Cornbread about JJ Redick. He used to say Redick would wind up playing at the YMCA on saturdays..lol