PDA

View Full Version : Mark Gilbert Out for Year

devildeac
09-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Son-in-law saw on various sites during our extended CTA rides back from the game today (via Revolution Brewing) that his injury is a dislocated hip. WTH? In a 20-21 year old player? Bizarre. Guess we'll hear more tomorrow.

Newton_14
09-08-2018, 11:30 PM
Son-in-law saw on various sites during our extended CTA rides back from the game today (via Revolution Brewing) that his injury is a dislocated hip. WTH? In a 20-21 year old player? Bizarre. Guess we'll hear more tomorrow.

That is bizarre if true. It looked for all the world to be a bad knee injury. I was expecting ACL or MCL tear or sprain. For the doctors on the board, if it is indeed a dislocated hip, what is the prognosis for a football player such as Gilbert?

Wasn't it a hip injury of some sort that ended the career of the great Bo Jackson?

Pghdukie
09-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Jackson told the medical staff that his hip actually came out of the socket. Unfortunately for him and the rest of the sports world- that injury basically ended his career in both sports.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Jackson told the medical staff that his hip actually came out of the socket. Unfortunately for him and the rest of the sports world- that injury basically ended his career in both sports.

Let's hope and pray the same didn't happen to Gilbert

UrinalCake
09-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Bo Jackson’s career-ending injury was the very definition of bizarre. It was just a routine tackle, and he just somehow landed awkwardly. For a guy who was physically from another planet relative to his peers, there was a cruel irony in everything ending in such a benign play.

Hoping for good news on Gilbert. Or at least, less-bad news.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Bo Jackson’s career-ending injury was the very definition of bizarre. It was just a routine tackle, and he just somehow landed awkwardly. For a guy who was physically from another planet relative to his peers, there was a cruel irony in everything ending in such a benign play.

Hoping for good news on Gilbert. Or at least, less-bad news.

Sometimes the benign looking situations are catastrophic...Dale Earnhardt's death was the result of a very benign looking bump into the wall.

Native
09-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Gilbert is done for the year.

https://twitter.com/adamrowetdd/status/1038878064858619904?s=21

Dukehky
09-09-2018, 04:19 PM
I said this in another thread, but if Gilbert gets healthy enough to go through the NFL draft process and to show well, I don't think he comes back. He was grading out really highly and if he has the chance, especially after this kind of freak injury, to go pro and get paid, he should take it.

All kind of depends on when he gets healthy. Would be great to have him on the field for Alabama next year, but I'm not sure it's going to happen, and that's fine, as long as he's healthy and doing what he wants.

OldPhiKap
09-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Gilbert tweet:

https://twitter.com/mgilbert_3/status/1038898960419762178?s=21

Richard Berg
09-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Can someone please translate "palm stand" from GenZ to Millennial?

martydoesntfoul
09-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Can someone please translate "palm stand" from GenZ to Millennial?Check out the 2018 Duke Football Yearbook cover... I believe he is referring to Gilbert Island...

weezie
09-10-2018, 03:51 PM

God help us and save us. Yiiiiiiikes.

weezie
09-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Gilbert tweet:

https://twitter.com/mgilbert_3/status/1038898960419762178?s=21

Can somebody here tweet him back that we love him here on Deeber and we wish him the best!???
( And tell him that I, in particular, think he's very handsome)

budwom
09-10-2018, 04:10 PM

well, that's pretty much the definition of a dislocated hip: the ball comes out of the socket...(there can also be partial dislocations)...

billy
09-10-2018, 04:18 PM
That is bizarre if true. It looked for all the world to be a bad knee injury. I was expecting ACL or MCL tear or sprain. For the doctors on the board, if it is indeed a dislocated hip, what is the prognosis for a football player such as Gilbert?

Wasn't it a hip injury of some sort that ended the career of the great Bo Jackson?

Bo Jackson did have a hip dislocation but it was the loss of blood supply (avascular necrosis, aka AVN) that occurred because of the dislocation that ended his career.

How well a patient does after a hip dislocation depends on what structures were damaged to allow the hip to dislocate (such as a broken acetabulum (cup), torn capsule/ligaments, or torn labrum) and/or what other injuries occurred at the time or occur later. AVN is a risk of any hip dislocation but doesn’t surface until later - generally by 6 weeks after the dislocation.

T Moorman (who used to be Football team doc at Duke and is now in Charlotte) wrote an article reporting on hip dislocations in NFL players in 2003. 8 players over 9 years had dislocations and 6/8 were able to return to play (after about 6 weeks - BUT none of them had surgery unlike Gilbert). The other 2 developed AVN.

If he’s out for the season, it’s likely because of the presence of additional, unreported structural injuries from the dislocation (and which resulted in the need for surgery).

duke79
09-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Needless to say, football can be a brutal sport, even with advances in the equipment. The players are bigger, stronger and faster, and the basic laws of physics come into play with many of these hits and tackles (i.e., collisions). I admit I have very mixed feelings about watching football games these days. So many injuries and concussions with long-term consequences for those involved. Is it really worth it?

Dukehky
09-11-2018, 08:51 PM
I said this in another thread, but if Gilbert gets healthy enough to go through the NFL draft process and to show well, I don't think he comes back. He was grading out really highly and if he has the chance, especially after this kind of freak injury, to go pro and get paid, he should take it.

All kind of depends on when he gets healthy. Would be great to have him on the field for Alabama next year, but I'm not sure it's going to happen, and that's fine, as long as he's healthy and doing what he wants.

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/1039653345684856832

Wiseman said that Gilbert told Cut he was excited about opening up against Alabama next year. That is awesome that he's looking forward to recovery. I still think if he's a top 3 round guy, he should go for sure. I'm not sure he would go undrafted under many circumstances, but dislocated hip... he might have to show something coming back.

Regardless, all I want for the kid is for him to get back to full strength, no matter where it leads him next year.

kAzE
09-11-2018, 09:27 PM
Yikes, that's a scary injury :(

I recall Dennis Pitta, former Ravens tight end (slightly more recent than Bo Jackson), had this same injury, (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-release-dennis-pitta-after-career-threatening-hip-injury/) and it eventually ended his career, after a few attempts to come back from it.

Hoping Gilbert's injury isn't quite as bad . . .

swiseman
09-11-2018, 09:49 PM
I've been told Gilbert faces a six-month recovery, which would pretty much rule out him going to the combine or even having individual workouts prior to the NFL Draft. Still, I thought there was a good chance he'd played his last game for Duke. He's so well thought of by NFL types that I figured he'd take the jump out of fear he'd get hurt playing college football again.

However, Cutcliffe revealing his conversation with Gilbert tonight changes things. Gilbert and his family can change their minds and try to hook on with an NFL team. But it sure sounds like he wants to play another healthy college season before entering the 2020 draft.

One other thing -- and people who are queasy should stop reading now. I'll wait. Ok. We good?

Cutcliffe discussed the injury a little bit more. He said doctors on site at stadium tried to re-set Gilbert's dislocated hip but were unsuccessful. I can only imagine how painful that was. Gilbert went to a nearby hospital where it was done. His mother was at the game and was with him. She accompanied him on the plane ride back to Durham, which certainly helped him. Had surgery on Sunday to repair it.

gep
09-12-2018, 12:38 AM
https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/1039653345684856832

Wiseman said that Gilbert told Cut he was excited about opening up against Alabama next year. That is awesome that he's looking forward to recovery. I still think if he's a top 3 round guy, he should go for sure. I'm not sure he would go undrafted under many circumstances, but dislocated hip... he might have to show something coming back.

Regardless, all I want for the kid is for him to get back to full strength, no matter where it leads him next year.

Well... possibly another thought is that he is now a Junior, and being a Senior next year means that he could graduate with a Duke degree. Might come in handy if a football career is not in his cards...