PDA

View Full Version : The “Daniel Jones deserves his own injury vigil” vigil

scottdude8
09-08-2018, 04:50 PM
I think it’s about time we start this tradition up on the football side of things, considering all Cut has done and how good we’ve looked through two weeks. I’m personally holding my breath that Jones and Mark Gilbert are only out for the short term... with as bad as Miami looked last week and a nice home/away ACC schedule I was starting to see potential similarities to 2013. Fingers crossed on all our injury fronts... let the vigil begin!

Indoor66
09-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Can we wait for an injury report before we go all gloom and doom? Keeping him out could have been a strategic decision based on score time remaining.

sagegrouse
09-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Can we wait for an injury report before we go all gloom and doom? Keeping him out could have been a strategic decision based on score time remaining.

On the sideline, after he returned, he was surrounded by medical staff, not coaches, and they were showing him something on a hand-held device.

A bit more ominous, I fear, than other interpretations.

scottdude8
09-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Yeah in the post game Cut made some comments that were also ominous and mentioned his clavicle. I’d find a quote like I usually do but it’s beer o’clock ;)

DBFAN
09-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Broken Clavicle is what I just saw on Twitter

Acymetric
09-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Wide range of possibilities if true (depending on type/severity of the break).

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2018, 06:37 PM

This is really taking the fun out of watching the ECU NC game....

Natty_B
09-08-2018, 06:38 PM
This is really taking the fun out of watching the ECU NC game...

Nah that is still super fun #byelarry

Mabdul Doobakus
09-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Was it Anthony Boone that came back in like 3 weeks from the same injury?

Not sure if he was the same after coming back (if it was him...it was definitely one of our QBs). And Daniel Jones was definitely not the same last year after suffering a lesser injury. But it's possible he'll be back in a month or so. All speculation at this point, obviously.

MChambers
09-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Too bad Duke doesn’t have a coach who’s got a track record in coaching up QBs. Oh, wait . . .

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2018, 06:59 PM
...so.....will Daniel Jones return before or after Larry Fedora gets fired...?

Mabdul Doobakus
09-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Was it Anthony Boone that came back in like 3 weeks from the same injury?

Not sure if he was the same after coming back (if it was him...it was definitely one of our QBs). And Daniel Jones was definitely not the same last year after suffering a lesser injury. But it's possible he'll be back in a month or so. All speculation at this point, obviously.

In 2013, Boone broke his clavicle in Week 2 against Memphis, a 14 point win. Missed 3 games. Returned to play 5 weeks later (there was a week off in there). Duke won out and made the ACC title game. I'd be OK with a repeat.

sagegrouse
09-08-2018, 07:20 PM

Left or right, I wonder?

scottdude8
09-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Too bad Duke doesn’t have a coach who’s got a track record in coaching up QBs. Oh, wait . . .

This. As much as it’s gonna suck if/when we hear Jones is out, I trust in Cut. He’s turned coal into diamonds so many times over. Gone are the days of Zack Asack as our backup, throwing more TDs to the opposition then completions to us (look it up, it happened!).

Bob Green
09-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Left or right, I wonder?

Left

ehdg
09-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Left or right, I wonder?

I’m guessing Left cause leaving the field his left arm was just hanging not moving it while his right he was moving it n flexing it.

Reilly
09-08-2018, 08:36 PM
2 Daniel Karlin QB 6-3 220 So. Providence, R.I. (Classical)
4 Robert Nelson QB 6-2 195 Fr. Los Gatos, Calif. (Los Gatos)
12 Gunnar Holmberg QB 6-3 190 Fr. Wake Forest, N.C. (Heritage)
15 Chris KatrenickHear how to pronounce Chris Katrenick QB 6-3 215 RFr. Algonquin, Ill. (Harry D. Jacobs)
17 Daniel Jones QB 6-5 220 RJr. Charlotte, N.C. (Charlotte Latin)
18 Quentin Harris QB 6-1 195 RJr. Wilton, Conn. (Taft School)

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Coach David Cutcliffe said it “doesn’t look great” and was bracing for his quarterback to miss a big chunk of time. He added Jones would be examined when the team returned home.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/big-ten/2018/09/08/saturdays-big-ten-football-duke-drops-northwestern/1241294002/

Time for some intense competition to replace him.

mattman91
09-08-2018, 09:16 PM
15 Chris KatrenickHear how to pronounce Chris Katrenick QB 6-3 215 RFr. Algonquin, Ill. (Harry D. Jacobs)

Damn, I wonder how they fit all of that on the back of his jersey.

On a more serious note, how many of them are scholarship players? I'm guessing all but Nelson and Karin.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Damn, I wonder how they fit all of that on the back of his jersey.

On a more serious note, how many of them are scholarship players? I'm guessing all but Nelson as I don't believe I've heard of him before.

I wonder how many were higher rated than DJ coming out of high school (probably most)

mattman91
09-08-2018, 09:28 PM
I wonder how many were higher rated than DJ coming out of high school (probably most)

Good point.

Newton_14
09-08-2018, 09:34 PM
This stinks. He was off to a great start as was our receiving corps. We looked very strong out there today and I was seeing 10 wins on the schedule, but this will be a setback for sure. How big of a setback we will have to wait and see. Supposedly, the kid from Heritage (Gunnar H) is the future after the Jones era ends. I hope we see Gunnar next week. Quentin just seems to have no confidence throwing the ball. Runs it well but we are going to ha ve to throw the ball. With the new RedShirt rules it gives Cut a chance to see if Gunnar can handle the job and perform well, or if not, he can still redshirt him if he doesn't play more than 4 games.

One good thing is after next week against Baylor, we get NC Central at home which is basically like a bye week as they just cannot compete with us.

jimsumner
09-08-2018, 10:22 PM

Karlin and Nelson are walk-ons. Not in the picture.

I suspect the Duke coaches will decide soon on one of Holmberg or Kuh-trin-ick and work that one up to go along with Harris.

Maybe Harris will do his best Brandon Connette, circa 2013, impression and display heretofore unseen passing prowess.

But my best guess is that opportunity just knocked on Gunnar Holmberg's door.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Maybe Harris will do his best Brandon Connette, circa 2013, impression and display heretofore unseen passing prowess.

But my best guess is that opportunity just knocked on Gunnar Holmberg's door.

Yeah, Connette's passing surprised me that year. I think the best pass all year was a dime he dropped on (I think) McCaffrey for a long gain. Can't remember the game.

Assuming an extended injury to Jones, maybe Gunnar or Ketraenik can emerge and use Harris as the change of pace guy. Duke won't have good rhythm, but perhaps they can keep the defenses guessing. Get 4 games down the road, and check Jone's health and the red shirt status of whichever frosh is given a chance.....

all just speculation at this point...but that's all we can do.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Yeah, Connette's passing surprised me that year. I think the best pass all year was a dime he dropped on (I think) McCaffrey for a long gain. Can't remember the game.

Assuming an extended injury to Jones, maybe Gunnar or Ketraenik can emerge and use Harris as the change of pace guy. Duke won't have good rhythm, but perhaps they can keep the defenses guessing. Get 4 games down the road, and check Jone's health and the red shirt status of whichever frosh is given a chance...

all just speculation at this point...but that's all we can do.
Katrenick is a redshirt freshman, so the four game rule only would apply to Gunnar.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Katrenick is a redshirt freshman, so the four game rule only would apply to Gunnar.

Thanks for clarifying....and I checked, both guys were 3 star recruits, with Holmberg being rated just a tiny bit better prospect than Katrenik. Of course, they were both rated significantly higher than Jones was coming out of HS - FWIW.

budwom
09-09-2018, 08:38 AM
absolutely have to have a guy who is allowed to throw the ball downfield...I can understand the conservative offense with Harris yesterday, but that has to change in coming weeks, must have a guy who
can throw.

sagegrouse
09-09-2018, 09:11 AM
absolutely have to have a guy who is allowed to throw the ball downfield...I can understand the conservative offense with Harris yesterday, but that has to change in coming weeks, must have a guy who
can throw.

As I may have mentioned before, I thought the offense after halftime was bone-headed and unimaginative, even while Jones was still available. I have sat through Duke trying to nurse leads before, and the results weren't pretty, such as the Navy game in Annapolis in 2010 (which Duke won by three despite blowing a four-TD lead, and the Texas A&M debacle.

This year, our defense appears to be really, really good, but two games do not a season make. We will need to conjure up some offense against Baylor.

Devilwin
09-09-2018, 09:22 AM
As I may have mentioned before, I thought the offense after halftime was bone-headed and unimaginative, even while Jones was still available. I have sat through Duke trying to nurse leads before, and the results weren't pretty, such as the Navy game in Annapolis in 2010 (which Duke won by three despite blowing a four-TD lead, and the Texas A&M debacle.

This year, our defense appears to be really, really good, but two games do not a season make. We will need to conjure up some offense against Baylor.

Very well said, and exactly right!

Bob Green
09-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Thanks for clarifying...and I checked, both guys were 3 star recruits...

That depends upon which rating service you look at. Gunnar Holmberg was a 4 star recruit per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/213725/gunnar-holmberg

And, FWIW, Harris (78) was rated higher than Katrenick (77).

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 10:27 AM
That depends upon which rating service you look at. Gunnar Holmberg was a 4 star recruit per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/213725/gunnar-holmberg

Thanks Bob...my search engine usually defaults to 24/7 when I Google "recruit Gunnar Homlberg" or what have you. But you're right, there are several services that use the 5 star system, and they don't always match up.

Really encouraging to know that Gunnar was that highly rated by ESPN.

Reilly
09-09-2018, 10:35 AM
A ... I have sat through Duke trying to nurse leads before, and the results weren't pretty, such as the Navy game in Annapolis in 2010 (which Duke won by three despite blowing a four-TD lead ...

We'll have to agree to disagree as to whether the strategy in Annapolis was pretty. It was pretty. It was the absolute right strategy (judged not on the after-the-fact outcome (there, victory) but judged, as these things must be, on what path gave the highest probability of victory at the time of the decision making.

Dukehky
09-09-2018, 11:53 AM
FWIW, I don't think it's established that he has a broken clavicle. He might though, never saw a link. I think having him back for GT is probably the most realistic hope we can have right now.

All indications is that Gilbert is done for the year. Will be interesting to see if he's healthy to go through the combine process to get a look for the NFL, he was a top couple rounds guy, maybe late first if healthy. If he can get drafted, I'd be surprised to see him back, and I wouldn't want him to. Football's too dangerous to play for free when you can play and get paid.

sagegrouse
09-09-2018, 11:58 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree as to whether the strategy in Annapolis was pretty. It was pretty. It was the absolute right strategy (judged not on the after-the-fact outcome (there, victory) but judged, as these things must be, on what path gave the highest probability of victory at the time of the decision making.

Oh, my. Later. Even Cut said our second half strategy was wrong. And don't be too sure about p-win.

Reilly
09-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Oh, my. Later. Even Cut said our second half strategy was wrong. And don't be too sure about p-win.

Certainly, later. And Cut can be wrong about things, and there can be reasonable disagreements as to what gives the greater probability of victory (and that is something that is never 100% knowable).

That said, based on how folks usually mis-judge such decisions (that is, after the fact), this one was a win, and based on how folks should judge such decisions (at the time made; 4 score lead), the right call, in my opinion, and in Cut's at the time as he made it, was to go conservative, as that took away Navy's only real shot at winning (which would be if we went fast/loose thereby increasing the odds of more possessions).

Dopeshop
09-09-2018, 12:54 PM
2015 ---Scott Bracey all -state and state championship QB Benedictine HS Richmond Va

OH WELL we need a rabbit out of a hat to keep up our optimism

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 01:19 PM
2015 ---Scott Bracey all -state and state championship QB Benedictine HS Richmond Va

OH WELL we need a rabbit out of a hat to keep up our optimism

...how interesting. Maybe that would bring him out of his shell.....

dukelifer
09-09-2018, 02:04 PM

Not according to Katrenick who likens his game to Tom Brady's ;)

Native
09-09-2018, 04:05 PM
DJ out “indefinitely” following surgery.

https://twitter.com/adamrowetdd/status/1038878064858619904?s=21

Dukehky
09-09-2018, 04:09 PM
DJ out “indefinitely” following surgery.

https://twitter.com/adamrowetdd/status/1038878064858619904?s=21

Does that mean he'll be back for Central?

Joke taken from twitter.

Hopefully that puts him back for GT. I still thinks that's the earliest we can hope for him.

jimsumner
09-09-2018, 04:19 PM
From Duke

Duke cornerback Mark Gilbert and quarterback Daniel Jones each underwent surgery on Sunday after suffering injuries in the Blue Devils’ 21-7 win at Northwestern.

Gilbert had left hip surgery performed by Dr. Steven Olson and Dr. Annunziato Amendola and will miss the remainder of the 2018 season. The procedure on Jones, who will be out of action indefinitely, was executed by Amendola and Dr. Jonathan Riboh and addressed a fractured left clavicle.

dukelifer
09-09-2018, 04:45 PM
From Duke

Duke cornerback Mark Gilbert and quarterback Daniel Jones each underwent surgery on Sunday after suffering injuries in the Blue Devils’ 21-7 win at Northwestern.

Gilbert had left hip surgery performed by Dr. Steven Olson and Dr. Annunziato Amendola and will miss the remainder of the 2018 season. The procedure on Jones, who will be out of action indefinitely, was executed by Amendola and Dr. Jonathan Riboh and addressed a fractured left clavicle.

Feel bad for both players, but particularly Gilbert. His future in football is very uncertain.

OldPhiKap
09-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Steve Wiseman’s tweet:

https://twitter.com/stevewisemannc/status/1038879722325909505?s=21

A guess, for sure, but a glimmer of hope.

JasonEvans
09-09-2018, 04:48 PM
...fractured left clavicle.

According to the internet, which is never wrong, recovery from a broken clavicle can be as short as 3-4 weeks or at long as 8-10.

So, it seems the most optimistic scenario is that Jones is back for Ga Tech. It is also possible he misses the entire year, though that seems pretty unlikely. Of course, there is "recovery time" and then there is "how long to throw accurately again?" which could be longer than the internet's definition of "recovery time."

Baylor is #70 in Massey collection of computer rankings (https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm) and are not the power they were a few years ago, not even close. Duke is up to #22 in the computers. We most certainly have a decent chance in this game, even without DJ. NCCentral is a game we can probably win with me at QB. Va Tech... well... let's deal with that some other time. Bottom line, I think a 4-0 start is still quite possible. Time to see which of the other QBs has what it takes.

-Jason "does Connette still have any eligibility left?" Evans

OldPhiKap
09-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Baylor is #65 in Jeff Sagarin's computer rankings and are not the power they were a few years ago, not even close. Duke is up to #20 in Sagarin's rankings. We most certainly have a decent chance in this game, even without DJ. NCCentral is a game we can probably win with me at QB. Va Tech... well... let's deal with that some other time. Bottom line, I think a 4-0 start is still quite possible. Time to see which of the other QBs has what it takes.

Absolutely agree. Taking nothing for granted, obviously, but I think all of us would have taken a 4-0 or even 3-1 start to the season. Baylor will not be easy but even with Jones and Gilbert out Vegas opened (I think) as”pick-‘em.”

Baylor has a much more dynamic offense than either of our first two opponents. Not sure how their O line compares to NU, though, which was much-improved since our game in Durham yet we dominated there again. I’ve said before and will say again — Ben Albert is the best addition to this staff since Cut’s arrival with his whole gang.

Not sure what to expect from our offense, let alone who gets the snaps. But if the D plays well, we are in every game.

weezie
09-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Oh geez, I am so sorry to read the front page here. I feel terrible for these nice young men.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Steve Wiseman’s tweet:

https://twitter.com/stevewisemannc/status/1038879722325909505?s=21

A guess, for sure, but a glimmer of hope.

Paging Mr. Wiseman....paging Mr. Wiseman.....this is exactly the kind of situation where this board NEEDS your inside info......

chrishoke
09-09-2018, 06:01 PM
So why would surgery be required for a fractured collar bone, and what does that mean for length of recovery?

dukelifer
09-09-2018, 06:17 PM
So why would surgery be required for a fractured collar bone, and what does that mean for length of recovery?

A hit can displace the bones fragments and surgery will align them to improve healing and function. Not all fractures of the clavicle require surgery. Not sure the effect on healing- I suspect it would lengthen it but a lot depends on the details.

sagegrouse
09-09-2018, 08:07 PM

Screws??? Seems like every break these days involves the use of screws to align the bones.

OldPhiKap
09-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Screws??? Seems like every break these days involves the use of screws to align the bones.

Or clean/fill a fragment?

Either way, I first hope for a full and fast recovery. Long-term is more important than the short-term, as much as this sucks right now. Get well, son!

billy
09-09-2018, 09:08 PM

Most clavicle fractures don’t need surgery. The ones that do are either way out of alignment, associated with other shoulder fractures, or open (bone protruding through the skin). Most likely in DJ’s situation is that it was too out of what is considered acceptable in terms of alignment.

Time until return doesn’t depend much on surgery vs non-/surgery; either way it depends on how quickly the bone heals. On one hand, it’s good that it’s the left shoulder throwing wise. If he could be assured of never falling or being tackled and landing in the left shoulder he could play in a couple of weeks. Four weeeks would be very optimistic, 6 more likely. It’s hard to protect the shoulder in a football player.

Most clavicle fractures are treated with a plate and screws or with a metal “nail” inserted into the center, hollow portion of the clavicle. There’s a slightly better chance that the fracture heals with surgery, at the cost of literal cost, increased risk of infection, blood loss, etc.

richardjackson199
09-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Most clavicle fractures don’t need surgery. The ones that do are either way out of alignment, associated with other shoulder fractures, or open (bone protruding through the skin). Most likely in DJ’s situation is that it was too out of what is considered acceptable in terms of alignment.

Time until return doesn’t depend much on surgery vs non-/surgery; either way it depends on how quickly the bone heals. On one hand, it’s good that it’s the left shoulder throwing wise. If he could be assured of never falling or being tackled and landing in the left shoulder he could play in a couple of weeks. Four weeeks would be very optimistic, 6 more likely. It’s hard to protect the shoulder in a football player.

Most clavicle fractures are treated with a plate and screws or with a metal “nail” inserted into the center, hollow portion of the clavicle. There’s a slightly better chance that the fracture heals with surgery, at the cost of literal cost, increased risk of infection, blood loss, etc.

Can't spork, but thanks so much as always for your insight!

OldPhiKap
09-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Arowe tweet:

David Cutcliffe says that @Daniel_Jones10 is already going through practice in pads after fracturing his left clavicle 10 days ago. "Our medical people are absolutely amazed at how he's doing".

arnie
09-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Arowe tweet:

David Cutcliffe says that @Daniel_Jones10 is already going through practice in pads after fracturing his left clavicle 10 days ago. "Our medical people are absolutely amazed at how he's doing".

Should start the VA Tech game then.

OldPhiKap
09-19-2018, 05:05 PM

Willis Reed ain't walkin' though that tunnel any time soon.

(Is he?)

Realistically, it is difficult to see him back before GTech and even that seems early. But who knows. Hard to do the run option until the bone is 100%.

budwom
09-19-2018, 05:05 PM

good to see you have not lost your sense of humor, Arnie!

BigWayne
09-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Willis Reed ain't walkin' though that tunnel any time soon.

(Is he?)

Realistically, it is difficult to see him back before GTech and even that seems early. But who knows. Hard to do the run option until the bone is 100%.

I'm looking forward to Quentin doing a Ryan Fitzpatrick impersonation, leaving Jones plenty of time to heal.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-19-2018, 06:40 PM
I'm looking forward to Quentin doing a Ryan Fitzpatrick impersonation, leaving Jones plenty of time to heal.

Let's just say, for the heck of it, Duke wins their next two with Q. Do you instantly pull a winning sub QB the very minute the starter is healthy? Or do you wait for him to struggle. I for one have never thought automatically putting the starter back in over a hot back up was smart. I've heard all the yada yada about "starter's don't lose their jobs to injuries" yada yada...but that is missing the point.

I remember years ago Maryland, back still in the ACC, had a hot shot QB that went down with pre season or early season injury. The sub came in and they won like 4,5 games in a row. The starter returned, was given the job back, and they went on a losing streak and had a disastrous season. Never got their mojo back.

On the other extreme, a hot shot starter named Drew Bledsoe got hurt late one season.....and he never ever got his starting job back...and that worked out pretty well for the sub who replaced him and his franchise.

sagegrouse
09-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Let's just say, for the heck of it, Duke wins their next two with Q. Do you instantly pull a winning sub QB the very minute the starter is healthy? Or do you wait for him to struggle. I for one have never thought automatically putting the starter back in over a hot back up was smart. I've heard all the yada yada about "starter's don't lose their jobs to injuries" yada yada...but that is missing the point.

I remember years ago Maryland, back still in the ACC, had a hot shot QB that went down with pre season or early season injury. The sub came in and they won like 4,5 games in a row. The starter returned, was given the job back, and they went on a losing streak and had a disastrous season. Never got their mojo back.

On the other extreme, a hot shot starter named Drew Bledsoe got hurt late one season....and he never ever got his starting job back...and that worked out pretty well for the sub who replaced him and his franchise.

Oh, boy a QB controversy! A week ago we thought we didn't have a single proven passer, and now we fear we have two. Just kidding, but the world of fandom is tilted weird, isn't it?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Oh, boy a QB controversy! A week ago we thought we didn't have a single proven passer, and now we fear we have two. Just kidding, but the world of fandom is tilted weird, isn't it?

Hey, as fans we can afford to look ahead like this...and muse about it...whereas players and coaches cannot do that. Setting DJ and Q aside for a second, because it is jumping the gun to assume Duke will be on a winning streak and rolling when DJ comes back...but I have always found it funny how some people stick to this mantra one size fits all "no one loses his job to injury" as the justification for immediately putting them back in the line up, even if their replacement has done great.

Drew Bledsoe lost his job...but not to injury...he lost his job to a QB who was winning everything by the time Drew got healthy again. And yet, the entire Brady career flies right in the face of the "can't lose your job to injury" crowd vis a vis Bledsoe.

JasonEvans
09-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Let's just say, for the heck of it, Duke wins their next two with Q. Do you instantly pull a winning sub QB the very minute the starter is healthy? Or do you wait for him to struggle.

I guess it depends on how Q looks in games and in practice. I mean, if he does not appear to be as effective as DJ at throwing accurate passes and surveying the field for the best option, then who cares if he has played ok in games? Why play someone who is obviously not as good? That makes no sense to me. Cut is smart enough to figure this out with relative ease, I think.

Acymetric
09-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Hey, as fans we can afford to look ahead like this...and muse about it...whereas players and coaches cannot do that. Setting DJ and Q aside for a second, because it is jumping the gun to assume Duke will be on a winning streak and rolling when DJ comes back...but I have always found it funny how some people stick to this mantra one size fits all "no one loses his job to injury" as the justification for immediately putting them back in the line up, even if their replacement has done great.

Drew Bledsoe lost his job...but not to injury...he lost his job to a QB who was winning everything by the time Drew got healthy again. And yet, the entire Brady career flies right in the face of the "can't lose your job to injury" crowd vis a vis Bledsoe.

That actually happened to Bledsoe twice...Romo got his starting job after Bledsoe got injured in Dallas and never gave it up (for a while anyway).

rsvman
09-20-2018, 12:18 AM
Smith lost his job in San Francisco to Kapaernik (? spelling).
Still don't know if that was a good decision, but they did make the Super Bowl.

kmspeaks
09-20-2018, 01:36 PM

On the other extreme, a hot shot starter named Drew Bledsoe got hurt late one season....and he never ever got his starting job back...and that worked out pretty well for the sub who replaced him and his franchise.

We'd have to ask Kirby Smart to know for sure but I don't think he regrets his decision last year to relegate Jacob Eason to mop up duty after he returned from his knee injury.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2018, 01:40 PM
I am sure that Cut will play whoever he feels gives Duke the best chance to win. And I am comfortable with him making that decision.

I am obviously giddy about how well Harris played against Baylor. But it was one game when there was no tape on him running this offense. He will really have to step it up in upcoming games against teams better than Baylor.

nmduke2001
09-20-2018, 02:12 PM
That actually happened to Bledsoe twice...Romo got his starting job after Bledsoe got injured in Dallas and never gave it up (for a while anyway).

Not that it's terribly important, but Bledsoe was not hurt in Dallas. Bledsoe played a terrible first half against the New York Giants. Parcells benched Bledsoe at half time and Romo never gave up the spot until he himself was hurt (and stabbed in the back by Jerry Jones. Yes I'm bitter).

gam7
09-21-2018, 10:43 AM
I am sure that Cut will play whoever he feels gives Duke the best chance to win. And I am comfortable with him making that decision.

I am obviously giddy about how well Harris played against Baylor. But it was one game when there was no tape on him running this offense. He will really have to step it up in upcoming games against teams better than Baylor.

Yeah, is there really a decision to make here? Q protected the ball and made a couple nice TD throws where he put enough air under them to allow receivers to run under them, but he was 12-30. Baylor's corners were blatantly jumping routes early on, so the pump and go for the long TD was taking candy from a green-and-yellow-clad baby. There were a lot of bad, short throws.

Don't get me wrong, it was an impressive performance in all three phases, but there's no QB controversy here.

uh_no
09-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Yeah, is there really a decision to make here? Q protected the ball and made a couple nice TD throws where he put enough air under them to allow receivers to run under them, but he was 12-30. Baylor's corners were blatantly jumping routes early on, so the pump and go for the long TD was taking candy from a green-and-yellow-clad baby. There were a lot of bad, short throws.

Don't get me wrong, it was an impressive performance in all three phases, but there's no QB controversy here.

This is it. people are comparing "backup outing which wasn't a total disaster, was reasonable given the circumstances, and ultimately got us a win" with "NFL prospect." Q had almost twice as many incompletions in one game (18) as DJ has on the year (10). It's great to know we have a viable backup, but this QB controversy stuff is absurd.

BigWayne
09-21-2018, 11:17 AM
This is it. people are comparing "backup outing which wasn't a total disaster, was reasonable given the circumstances, and ultimately got us a win" with "NFL prospect." Q had almost twice as many incompletions in one game (18) as DJ has on the year (10). It's great to know we have a viable backup, but this QB controversy stuff is absurd.

I guess I started it, but all I was trying to do was be positive and hope Quentin does well so Daniel can heal without trying to rush back. We know from last year that having him play hurt didn't work out so well.

gam7
09-21-2018, 11:47 AM
I guess I started it, but all I was trying to do was be positive and hope Quentin does well so Daniel can heal without trying to rush back. We know from last year that having him play hurt didn't work out so well.

Positivity will NOT be tolerated here!

BandAlum83
09-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Just thought I'd tag @WallyPipp on this thread to see if he'd like to weigh in from that cornfield in Iowa.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-21-2018, 12:28 PM

Your comments were fine....people are jumping on the lack of a QB controversy as if someone is saying Duke has one. That's not what anyone is saying at all. We're just speculating on how quick to re-insert DJ under the hypothetical....HYPOTHETICAL....that Duke is on a 3,4 game winning streak and Harris is playing well...at the time. No one...NO ONE...indicates that the one game v Baylor indicates any kind of controversy. People are slamming at straw arguments no one is making.

Dukelogger
09-21-2018, 01:42 PM
Your comments were fine...people are jumping on the lack of a QB controversy as if someone is saying Duke has one. That's not what anyone is saying at all. We're just speculating on how quick to re-insert DJ under the hypothetical...HYPOTHETICAL...that Duke is on a 3,4 game winning streak and Harris is playing well...at the time. No one...NO ONE...indicates that the one game v Baylor indicates any kind of controversy. People are slamming at straw arguments no one is making.

While I agree with this, I will add that if QH starts and plays exceptionally well and leads us for four quarters to a W against a Bud Foster defense, THEN a QB conversation must be had. Up until that point, it is speculating as to whether or not the context of a possible conversation in the future is even legitimate, which in a vacuum sounds totally ridiculous and perfect for a college football fan forum. :cool: