PDA

View Full Version : ACC announces future sites for ACCMBB tourneys

jimsumner
09-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Leaving NC for awhile.

http://theacc.com/news/2018/9/6/general-acc-announces-future-mens-basketball-tournament-sites.aspx

Tripping William
09-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Leaving NC for awhile.

http://theacc.com/news/2018/9/6/general-acc-announces-future-mens-basketball-tournament-sites.aspx

To summarize:

2019: Charlotte
2020: Greensboro
2021: DC
2022: Brooklyn

OldPhiKap
09-06-2018, 03:39 PM
I hope Jim Boeheim retires before it leaves the state.

CameronBornAndBred
09-06-2018, 03:41 PM
To summarize:

2019: Charlotte
2020: Greensboro
2021: DC
2022: Brooklyn

That's a good mix and spread around pretty decently. I can't imagine the folks in Tallahassee and Atlanta are too thrilled, though.

hallcity
09-06-2018, 04:10 PM
That's a good mix and spread around pretty decently. I can't imagine the folks in Tallahassee and Atlanta are too thrilled, though.

I’ll be the curmudgeon who says it ought to be in Greensboro every year!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-06-2018, 05:39 PM

I heard Atlanta didn't really want it......almost no one in Tallahassee cares about hoops.

CameronBornAndBred
09-06-2018, 05:41 PM
I heard Atlanta didn't really want it...almost no one in Tallahassee cares about hoops.

Didn't mean that either city would get the tourney, just simply a location more in the south. But if they don't want it, I'm happy to have it in NC or DC as often as possible. NYC? Meh.

WakeDevil
09-06-2018, 05:45 PM
NYC. Home to great barbecue.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-06-2018, 05:48 PM

Older curmudgeons would say the old Charlotte Coliseum.....capacity 11,666.........which was Greensboro before Greensboro was Greensboro.

WiJoe
09-06-2018, 06:19 PM

seconded

Chicago anyone?

Seriously, DC is as far north as it should go.

mattman91
09-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Older curmudgeons would say the old Charlotte Coliseum....capacity 11,666.....which was Greensboro before Greensboro was Greensboro.

Are you talking about the old coliseum that was demolished or the old old arena that is now the Bojangles Coliseum?

BigWayne
09-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Are you talking about the old coliseum that was demolished or the old old arena that is now the Bojangles Coliseum?

That capacity means Bojangles, which I believe was built before the Greensboro Coliseum.

BigWayne
09-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Older curmudgeons would say the old Charlotte Coliseum....capacity 11,666.....which was Greensboro before Greensboro was Greensboro.

Interestingly, the ACCT actually went to Greensboro for one year before a run of three years in Charlotte. Every time Charlotte would maneuver to be in primary position for the ACCT, Greensboro would expand the coliseum to snatch it back.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-06-2018, 08:25 PM
Interestingly, the ACCT actually went to Greensboro for one year before a run of three years in Charlotte. Every time Charlotte would maneuver to be in primary position for the ACCT, Greensboro would expand the coliseum to snatch it back.

...old school....I can hear the ditty now..."....Sail with the Pilot....all the way....get on board that Pilot Ship today....."

UrinalCake
09-06-2018, 08:31 PM
I like having it alternate, being in NC every other year. I can’t imagine DC will hold that much interest though. Maybe Maryland fans will come just so they can boo Duke.

weezie
09-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Has Miami ever been in the mix as a venue?

jimsumner
09-06-2018, 10:28 PM

I've never heard Miami mentioned as a possibility.

sagegrouse
09-07-2018, 12:36 AM

If I have to travel to the tournament (and I do), give me DC. Excellent Metro with a stop in the arena. Within 3-4 blocks, you have 50+ eating and drinking establishments, including many excellent ones. Within 3-4 blocks of the G'boro Coliseum, you are still in the parking lot.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-07-2018, 06:51 AM

Not that I've ever heard....and I don't see it happening...I don't see Miami (the city or the U) even pushing for it.

jv001
09-07-2018, 08:53 AM
If I have to travel to the tournament (and I do), give me DC. Excellent Metro with a stop in the arena. Within 3-4 blocks, you have 50+ eating and drinking establishments, including many excellent ones. Within 3-4 blocks of the G'boro Coliseum, you are still in the parking lot.

Longgggggg drive from Steamboat. :cool: GoDuke!

IrishDevil
09-07-2018, 11:50 AM

As a resident of Northern Virginia, while the venue is nicely situated in a lively part of the city, it would not cross my mind to pair the words "Metro" and "excellent" together absent a negative modifier of some kind, preferably a strong one and probably one that would not pass the wankerizer.

sagegrouse
09-07-2018, 03:33 PM
As a resident of Northern Virginia, while the venue is nicely situated in a lively part of the city, it would not cross my mind to pair the words "Metro" and "excellent" together absent a negative modifier of some kind, preferably a strong one and probably one that would not pass the wankerizer.

I know, but the DC system is truly better and bigger than the underground in most other cities.

OldPhiKap
09-07-2018, 03:38 PM
I know, but the DC system is truly better and bigger than the underground in most other American cities.

FIFY, as the kids say.

But agreed.