PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mike Hogewood

OldPhiKap
09-05-2018, 10:39 PM
These are normally on the off-topic board, but I see that Mike passed away. A constant voice in my head of ACC sports, especially basketball. Rest In Peace, Mike, and prayers for his family and friends.

burnspbesq
09-05-2018, 11:00 PM
Hogs was the voice of the ACC women’s tournament for a number of years. Will miss him.

Condolences to his family and friends.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Very sad to hear. He was a very talented broadcaster and as ACC sports have become a global behemoth, he helped keep it grounded in its local roots. Condolences to his friends and family.

sagegrouse
09-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Here's a link (http://www.wistv.com/story/39034339/mike-hogewood-legendary-raycom-sports-acc-announcer-dies-at-65). Too young, too soon.

Newton_14
09-05-2018, 11:29 PM
These are normally on the off-topic board, but I see that Mike passed away. A constant voice in my head of ACC sports, especially basketball. Rest In Peace, Mike, and prayers for his family and friends.

Thanks for posting this OPK. I just saw it on WRAL 11pm news and immediately hopped on DBR to start a thread. I always enjoyed listening to Mike. 65 is way too dang young to pass away. Just awful hearing this. RIP indeed Hoggy. You will be missed.

jb75
09-05-2018, 11:50 PM
I grew up in Greensboro and Mike was a year behind me in school. What a great guy. Always enjoyed his broadcasts. I have not seen him in years. Did see him in Greensboro at the ACC Tournament in 2006 and he was quick to acknowledge several of us. He will be missed.

jimsumner
09-06-2018, 12:07 AM
This has been a BAD week. I got to know Mike through ACC women's hoops primarily and he was one of the good ones. Prepared, professional but down-to-earth, without a hint of pretension. Just a total pro, in the best sense of the word.

skysdad
09-06-2018, 07:26 AM
One of the best ever in the Triad area. Was a fan of his and always enjoyed him. Loved Mike's Big Ole Fish segment. Sent in a pic of my son's first catch. It was a small brim but Mike put in on.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-06-2018, 07:36 AM
When I think of Hogewood...I always envision him with his big goofy (in an endearing way) but omnipresent, grin. He clearly loved his work. Clearly was happy. RIP sir.

Devilwin
09-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Veteran sportscaster Mike Hogewood has died at age 63. Not sure of any details yet..

left_hook_lacey
09-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Wow, this really hit me tonight. Mike Hogwood was one of those voices that reminds me of the good ole days of ACC basketball of my childhood. It's a constant reminder that mortality waits for us all.

jv001
09-07-2018, 09:03 AM
I enjoyed the games that Mike was doing. Will miss him. Prayers for his family and God bless. RIP Mike.

jdk
09-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Wow. Tough news. Mike always brought energy to the old ACC broadcasts. He was a local legend, who lived a full life.

I remember watching him on WFMY with Lee Kinard when I was growing up.

RIP.

BeachBlueDevil
09-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Tough day yesterday between Hogewood and Burt Reynolds passing away.... A lot has been covered on the latter death.

Hogewood did it all in sports. From Monster Trucks, to college basketball (Men's & Women's), football, Nascar, and at the end of his career pro wrestling. Anytime I heard an event called by him it was certainly a treat. Not many all around sports play by play guys left like him.

RIP.