PDA

View Full Version : Brussels — where to stay

OldPhiKap
09-03-2018, 09:07 PM
DBR has been a great resource, so going to the well again.

Will be spending two nights in Brussels this upcoming Spring. Really just a jumping point to tour WW I sites, so will not be in town too long. If you had to stay in a neighborhood or area, where would it be? Grand Place? Avenue Louise? Ixelles? Others?

Looking for something “uniquely Belgian,” whatever that means. Absent that, quirky but safe.

Many thanks in advance, I always get great ideas here!

Tripping William
09-03-2018, 09:22 PM
DBR has been a great resource, so going to the well again.

Will be spending two nights in Brussels this upcoming Spring. Really just a jumping point to tour WW I sites, so will not be in town too long. If you had to stay in a neighborhood or area, where would it be? Grand Place? Avenue Louise? Ixelles? Others?

Looking for something “uniquely Belgian,” whatever that means. Absent that, quirky but safe.

Many thanks in advance, I always get great ideas here!

Wherever the Trappists brew their Ymmm Beer would get my vote. But that’s just me. And devildeac. And fuse.

devildeac
09-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Wherever the Trappists brew their Ymmm Beer would get my vote. But that’s just me. And devildeac. And fuse.

Not sure any of these are in Brussels but I'll let OPK be the discovererexplorer:

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/belgium/articles/a-tour-of-belgiums-monastic-trappist-breweries/#

OldPhiKap
09-03-2018, 09:40 PM

Not sure any of these are in Brussels but I'll let OPK be the discovererexplorer:

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/belgium/articles/a-tour-of-belgiums-monastic-trappist-breweries/#

Oh, I’ve got the beer and chocolate places mapped out. Hoping not to sleep in an alley, though.

Will spend a whole day, more or less, in West Flanders with nights in Brussels. Cheese, beer and chocolate are givens. Mussels and waffles, hopefully not together, also seem in order.

(Will be in France for a week too, so this will be a nice break from cheese, wine and chocolate).

devildeac
09-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Oh, I’ve got the beer and chocolate places mapped out. Hoping not to sleep in an alley, though.

Will spend a whole day, more or less, in West Flanders with nights in Brussels. Cheese, beer and chocolate are givens. Mussels and waffles, hopefully not together, also seem in order.

(Will be in France for a week too, so this will be a nice break from cheese, wine and chocolate).

A family friend originally from Belgium brought over two Westvelteren a couple weeks ago that we shared. During our conversation, he said rabbit is a Belgian favorite, too.

Bluedog
09-03-2018, 09:58 PM
I was in Brussels for one night on business last year and stayed at the Marriott across the street from the Grand Palace. Seemed like a good location, but admittedly didn't get to explore all that much and the hotel wasn't "uniquely Belgian" although it was perfectly pleasant and I had a great view. My sense was that Brussels is more of a "European" city whereas a place like Bruges might be more "Belgian." (Of course I realize Brussels is by definition Belgian). Enjoy!

^Interestingly, I ate rabbit in my one night in Brussels at a great spot nearby.

OldPhiKap
09-03-2018, 10:06 PM
I was in Brussels for one night on business last year and stayed at the Marriott across the street from the Grand Palace. Seemed like a good location, but admittedly didn't get to explore all that much and the hotel wasn't "uniquely Belgian" although it was perfectly pleasant and I had a great view. My sense was that Brussels is more of a "European" city whereas a place like Bruges might be more "Belgian." (Of course I realize Brussels is by definition Belgian). Enjoy!

^Interestingly, I ate rabbit in my one night in Brussels at a great spot nearby.

Thanks, and heard the same. We picked Brussels because it is where the WW I Tour we want to do runs from, not because we picked the town. But in looking at it, Brussels is a really weird town. Trying to get some ideas.

Basically, a place to spend two evenings in a neat neighborhood, eat and try local delicacies (liquid and solid).

aimo
09-03-2018, 10:11 PM

I, too, would say Bruges over Brussels. Great chocolate!

OldPhiKap
09-04-2018, 07:43 AM
Looking at it, Bruges instead of Brussels might be doable . . . .

BigWayne
09-04-2018, 05:24 PM
Best thing I did in Brussels back in the days before craft breweries popped up all over was to go to a beer tasting/education.
It was kind of a niche thing back then, but now there are lots of options.

https://www.beerexperiencebrussels.com/

OldPhiKap
09-04-2018, 08:21 PM
I think y’all convinced me — the best place to stay in Brussels is Bruges. I can do the same tour, sorta-kinda-closeenougha.

JBDuke
09-04-2018, 08:42 PM
When I visited Brussels - admittedly a while ago (2003) - I stayed with some friends not far from the Gran Place. Actually, I was right across from the Manneken Pis, of all things. That part of town has that "old European city" feel, for sure. Plenty of good restaurants, chocolate shops, bars, and some touristy stuff, too. I didn't spend much time on Avenue Louise, so I can't comment on that as an alternative. Ixelles is kind of the same thing as Avenue Louise as I recall.

I guess it depends on what experience you're looking for in town. I think Brussels gets a bit of a bum rap as a city. It's very much a government town, as it's home to NATO, the European Union, the national government, a regional government, and the city government. Lots of hotels to cater to those folks in places you might not find all that interesting. But the historic part is walkable and nice, and the food and drink are outstanding.

Bruges is pretty cool - basically a town that looks a lot like it did centuries ago when it was a bustling port. Then the harbor silted up and the trade business went elsewhere, so the old places weren't built over. But it's pretty small as well, and very touristy - albeit for a good reason. I'd sort of compare it to visiting Williamsburg, VA, if you've done that experience, whereas Brussels is somewhat comparable to Washington DC.

Stray Gator
09-04-2018, 11:11 PM
I think y’all convinced me — the best place to stay in Brussels is Bruges. I can do the same tour, sorta-kinda-closeenougha.

I highly recommend that you opt for Bruges. We spent three days and nights there in June of 2017, as did our daughter and her husband on their honeymoon trip through Europe the same summer; and we all agreed that it ranks at or very near the top of our "favorites" list. In our annual summer journeys to visit different parts of Europe during the past 7 years, we've found no place that surpasses Bruges for magically transporting you back in time -- while still making readily available all of the modern creature comforts a spoiled American tourist could desire, notably including those legendary delectables: mussels & fries chased down with tasty brews, followed by fabulous chocolates!

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Casselbergh [http://www.grandhotelcasselbergh.be/en/], a splendid 4-star hotel conveniently located overlooking the Groenerei Canal, just a short walk from Grote Markt (Main Square) and across the bridge from the Vismarkt (Old Fish Market), where lively outdoor parties with music and dancing were held every evening we were there. If you prefer a locally owned canal-side B&B rich with historical character, our daughter and her husband raved about their stay at Huis Koning B&B on Oude Zak Street: http://www.huiskoning.be/welcome-to-huis-koning

There are plenty of fascinating things to do and see in Bruges, but rest assured you'll enjoy yourself just walking around, soaking in the amazing architecture and atmosphere, and savoring the food and beverages. A final note: If you decide to visit Bruges and can arrange to be there when they celebrate Belgium's National Day (I think it's on July 21), you'll be treated to a special experience -- a huge street party in Grote Markt at which thousands of residents and visitors turn out to sing and drink and get a little crazy.

OldPhiKap
09-05-2018, 06:57 AM
I highly recommend that you opt for Bruges. We spent three days and nights there in June of 2017, as did our daughter and her husband on their honeymoon trip through Europe the same summer; and we all agreed that it ranks at or very near the top of our "favorites" list. In our annual summer journeys to visit different parts of Europe during the past 7 years, we've found no place that surpasses Bruges for magically transporting you back in time -- while still making readily available all of the modern creature comforts a spoiled American tourist could desire, notably including those legendary delectables: mussels & fries chased down with tasty brews, followed by fabulous chocolates!

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Casselbergh [http://www.grandhotelcasselbergh.be/en/], a splendid 4-star hotel conveniently located overlooking the Groenerei Canal, just a short walk from Grote Markt (Main Square) and across the bridge from the Vismarkt (Old Fish Market), where lively outdoor parties with music and dancing were held every evening we were there. If you prefer a locally owned canal-side B&B rich with historical character, our daughter and her husband raved about their stay at Huis Koning B&B on Oude Zak Street: http://www.huiskoning.be/welcome-to-huis-koning

There are plenty of fascinating things to do and see in Bruges, but rest assured you'll enjoy yourself just walking around, soaking in the amazing architecture and atmosphere, and savoring the food and beverages. A final note: If you decide to visit Bruges and can arrange to be there when they celebrate Belgium's National Day (I think it's on July 21), you'll be treated to a special experience -- a huge street party in Grote Markt at which thousands of residents and visitors turn out to sing and drink and get a little crazy.

Appreciate both the links and the report!

House P
09-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Looking for something “uniquely Belgian,” whatever that means.

If you are looking for well-preserved medieval architecture, I suspect it would be difficult to beat Bruges. That being said, Brugge is also extremely "touristy". Here is a quote from a relevant article (https://skift.com/2017/03/24/6-charts-on-how-bruges-residents-grudgingly-see-overtourisms-value/).

"Some 19,500 people live in the tourist-laden city center of Bruges, which attracts nearly nine million visitors per year."

If you are looking for a place near Brussels which is still quite scenic, but has a lower ratio of tourists to residents, you may wish to consider Ghent. Here is an article (https://travelpassionate.com/ghent-or-bruges-visit-trip-to-belgium/) which may be helpful in understanding the relative pros and cons of Bruges and Ghent.

Really just a jumping point to tour WW I sites

That sounds like a great trip. If you are looking for a WW I "refresher" prior to you visit and haven't already done so, you may wish to check out Dan Carlin's WW I podcast series, "Blueprint for Armageddon". I knew almost nothing about the war prior to listening to the podcasts and found the series to be fascinating and informative.

Carlin's description of the Verdun battlefield and the scars that still remain raised my interest in visiting sometime (so much so, that I don't even want to Google pictures of the battlefield for fear of diminishing the experience should I ever get the chance to visit).

Carlin's style took some getting used to and may not be for everyone. So you may want to listen to an hour or so of his first podcast (the entire series is about 25 hours long) to see if you find it compelling enough to continue listening.

OldPhiKap
09-05-2018, 07:01 PM
All of this is great, and I am not able to spork everyone. The DBR community is not only knowledgeable, it is eclectic and well-traveled. I sincerely thank each of you for your response(s).

— OPK