PDA

View Full Version : College Football Attendance

TKG
09-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Attached below is a link to an article from The Wall Street Journal taking a closer look at falling attendance at college football games across the country. The article begins with review of the difference between announced attendance and scanned tickets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-growing-problem-empty-seats-1535634001?mod=e2tw

sagegrouse
09-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Attached below is a link to an article from The Wall Street Journal taking a closer look at falling attendance at college football games across the country. The article begins with review of the difference between announced attendance and scanned tickets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-growing-problem-empty-seats-1535634001?mod=e2tw

Thanks, but my last "trial subscription" to the Wall Street Journal unfortunately, despite my best intention to cancel immediately, ran for a year and cost me hundreds of dollars.

Could you summarize the most salient points?

TKG
09-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Sorry, Sage, I thought the link would by pass the sign in. My bad.

In essence, college football has become commoditized (lots of games on TV, etc.), schedules and kick-off times subject to the whims of TV programmers, and is increasingly viewed as just another entertainment option (student attendance is down as well). Schools, including Alabama, are now forced to market their product and compete for the entertainment dollar.

peloton
09-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Schools, including Alabama, are now forced to market their product and compete for the entertainment dollar.

That's it...increasing attendance at Duke football games is totally hopeless then. :D I'm only half kidding by the way.

dukelifer
09-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Sorry, Sage, I thought the link would by pass the sign in. My bad.

In essence, college football has become commoditized (lots of games on TV, etc.), schedules and kick-off times subject to the whims of TV programmers, and is increasingly viewed as just another entertainment option (student attendance is down as well). Schools, including Alabama, are now forced to market their product and compete for the entertainment dollar.

Not surprising. I enjoy going to a game but at a reasonable price and a reasonable time of day given the temperature. If the price is too high- I will watch on TV if I watch at all. It is all just entertainment.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-03-2018, 06:03 PM
That's it...increasing attendance at Duke football games is totally hopeless then. :D I'm only half kidding by the way.

Half kidding indeed.....I believe this trend of shrinking FB attendance nationwide is like 5,6 years in the making. The problem is, Duke didn't ride the upward trend of the previous 40 years......that most schools in the nation did.

orrnot
09-04-2018, 12:52 PM
I would guess most of the reasons apply to NCAA basketball as well. Anyone know of similar studies for roundball?

One exception might be the two week kickoff time window, which is a frustration that we don’t have for basketball. Maybe weather generally can be thought of as less important.

There is a tendency for the annual football attendance hand-wringing to generate references to basketball’s apparent successes, comparisons which are forgotten once the annual basketball attendance hand-wringing begins.

budwom
09-04-2018, 01:00 PM
I would guess most of the reasons apply to NCAA basketball as well. Anyone know of similar studies for roundball?

One exception might be the two week kickoff time window, which is a frustration that we don’t have for basketball. Maybe weather generally can be thought of as less important.

There is a tendency for the annual football attendance hand-wringing to generate references to basketball’s apparent successes, comparisons which are forgotten once the annual basketball attendance hand-wringing begins.

I suspect roundball is considerably different. Many teams (other than Duke) don't play nearly every game on TV, so watching in the friendly confines of home is not an option; game times (as you say) are generally set well ahead of time; weather truly less of a factor (except for snowphobia); traffic and other gameday hurdles generally fewer due to considerably smaller crowds.

CameronBornAndBred
09-04-2018, 02:08 PM
WRAL has a fun article up on the game day experience at Duke. Maybe bribery helps, I thought the crowd on Friday night was great.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/being-a-duke-football-fan-literally-pays-off/17817572/

devildeac
09-04-2018, 02:27 PM
WRAL has a fun article up on the game day experience at Duke. Maybe bribery helps, I thought the crowd on Friday night was great.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/being-a-duke-football-fan-literally-pays-off/17817572/

This is the 2nd year parking has been free for the "perimeter" lots and we were able to enter about 400 PM without hassle. Our Army tix said $9 each and, in years past, I think this would have been $15-20/ticket. The most expensive ticket we have in our folder this season is $19 for the cheats and the ones for NCCU are $7 each :eek:. Something's working. Maybe not well yet but better.

budwom
09-04-2018, 03:44 PM
This is the 2nd year parking has been free for the "perimeter" lots and we were able to enter about 400 PM without hassle. Our Army tix said $9 each and, in years past, I think this would have been $15-20/ticket. The most expensive ticket we have in our folder this season is $19 for the cheats and the ones for NCCU are $7 each :eek:. Something's working. Maybe not well yet but better.

good grief, where are you sitting, in the parking lot???

dpslaw
09-04-2018, 04:08 PM

Many of us in the True Blue 'Cue Crew sit together in Section 19.

devildeac
09-04-2018, 04:32 PM

Consider yourself warned. Women and children beware. :o :rolleyes:

Bob Green
09-04-2018, 04:38 PM

Section 19 is where it is at. ;)