PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 21, Northwestern 7

Pages : [1] 2

OldPhiKap
09-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Duke opens as a 4-point underdog.

Time to focus on the next task at hand. LGD!!!!

Bluedog
09-02-2018, 04:03 PM
I'll be there cheering them on! Incidentally, it'll be an empty stadium. It's not a big draw to begin with and Northwestern doesn't start classes until September 27. I'm looking forward to being close to the action.

budwom
09-02-2018, 04:09 PM
I'll be there cheering them on! Incidentally, it'll be an empty stadium. It's not a big draw to begin with and Northwestern doesn't start classes until September 27. I'm looking forward to being close to the action.

I'm going, too. Have been before, but a long time ago..back then it was a nice game to visit, NW fans are pleasant...we bought tickets for this one on Stub Hub for something like $9 (good seats)...

Bob Green
09-02-2018, 04:22 PM
I'm watching from the best seats in the house...the Green Family couch in front of the big screen TV. ;) Actually away games can be a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Syracuse a few years back and I've been to Charlottesville twice.

As for this week's game, I'm looking for consistency. Special teams being special, Daniel Jones being efficient, physical running game, defense controlling the line of scrimmage, etc...doing those things and value the football will result in a big road victory.

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-02-2018, 04:29 PM

SEZ WHO!? Devils by ten!
Love, Ima

HereBeforeCoachK
09-02-2018, 06:12 PM
I'm kinda excited about NW having the dark unis on what will be a hot day probably.....and having their program look bad with empty seats.

sagegrouse
09-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Will be there and bringing family. Go Duke!!

Reilly
09-02-2018, 06:40 PM
They should let Chris Collins handle the coin flip.

Scorp4me
09-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Another team having trouble filling seats? Read here and you'd think Duke is the only school with that problem.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Current forecast for Saturday in Evanston: high around 72, 50% chance of rain

sagegrouse
09-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Current forecast for Saturday in Evanston: high around 72, 50% chance of rain

Thanks for the warning. I will be sure to pack a raincoat and brolly.

Kindly,
Sage
'Looking forward to seeing at least a few familiar Duke people'

devildeac
09-02-2018, 08:51 PM
I'm going, too. Have been before, but a long time ago..back then it was a nice game to visit, NW fans are pleasant...we bought tickets for this one on Stub Hub for something like $9 (good seats)...

What section?

I have "unofficial" notification that our seats are $6 each. ;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the warning. I will be sure to pack a raincoat and brolly.

Kindly,
Sage
'Looking forward to seeing at least a few familiar Duke people'

With several days until kickoff, the forecast may change by game day! I'd prefer a cooler day, but without the rain.

Bluedog
09-02-2018, 10:07 PM
What section?

I realize you didn't ask me, but I'm in section 106. I think that is the Duke side of the field, which is why I chose it. I did splurge the extra $3 (for a whopping $9/ticket + fees...) for 30-yard line seats in the first 15 rows... although I'm sure everyone can easily move closer but figured it was worth just getting them. They still have lower level tickets available through the box office.. And they are asking $40.

devildeac
09-02-2018, 10:19 PM
I realize you didn't ask me, but I'm in section 106. I think that is the Duke side of the field, which is why I chose it. I did splurge the extra $3 (for a whopping $9/ticket + fees...) for 30-yard line seats in the first 15 rows... although I'm sure everyone can easily move closer but figured it was worth just getting them. They still have lower level tickets available through the box office.. And they are asking $40.

Oops, sorry :o.

Our younger son-in-law sent my wife a cryptic text tonight with 10 seats available in Section 132, lower level for $6 each. His follow-up text was 10 seats available in Section 133, lower level for $6.66, a positively devil-ish price. I haven't looked at those locations yet but will try to post tomorrow after we have a devildeac family discussion tonight and/or in the AM about our selection.

OldPhiKap
09-02-2018, 10:23 PM

Oops, sorry :o.

Our younger son-in-law sent my wife a cryptic text tonight with 10 seats available in Section 132, lower level for $6 each. His follow-up text was 10 seats available in Section 133, lower level for $6.66, a positively devil-ish price. I haven't looked at those locations yet but will try to post tomorrow after we have a devildeac family discussion tonight and/or in the AM about our selection.

Need y’all to bring home a win for me. Will be visiting DaughterPK in Tuscaloosa. Tide game probably starts about the time Duke ends, so will be testing my cell phone reception to stream our game. LGD!!!!!!!

duke79
09-02-2018, 10:24 PM

Why do they start so late? In this day and age, I've never heard of a college starting so late in September.

sagegrouse
09-02-2018, 10:28 PM
Why do they start so late? In this day and age, I've never heard of a college starting so late in September.

Quarter system: Northwestern, Stanford, U. of Denver and a bunch of others. Ten week quarter with exams around T'giving.

Reilly
09-02-2018, 11:29 PM
... $6.66, a positively devil-ish price ...

Guess it'll be hellish for NU ...

BigWayne
09-03-2018, 12:26 AM

According to a couple different pages I found on the web, the official visiting team area is in the NW corner (sections 134-136). I would assume this covers tickets allocated to away teams and likely available through the Duke ticket office in this case.

Anyway, it seems they have a lot of problems with visiting big ten crowds disrupting their environment and TV shots, so they came up with a scheme to change the home side of the stadium on a game by game basis. (https://www.insidenu.com/2014/2/7/5390676/Northwestern-football-shuffling-seats-and-sidelines-at-ryan-field)

brevity
09-03-2018, 12:38 AM
Another Duke opponent, another look at a vintage program cover.

From 33 years ago this week. Duke beat Northwestern 40-17 for its season opener on September 7, 1985.

See three other Northwestern-Duke football programs here (https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dfp?_=1535949069800&f%5Bcategory_facet_sim%5D%5B%5D=Northwestern).

Bluedog
09-03-2018, 07:26 AM
According to a couple different pages I found on the web, the official visiting team area is in the NW corner (sections 134-136). I would assume this covers tickets allocated to away teams and likely available through the Duke ticket office in this case.

Anyway, it seems they have a lot of problems with visiting big ten crowds disrupting their environment and TV shots, so they came up with a scheme to change the home side of the stadium on a game by game basis. (https://www.insidenu.com/2014/2/7/5390676/Northwestern-football-shuffling-seats-and-sidelines-at-ryan-field)

Hmmm interesting. I was talking about Duke team on the field not Duke section in the crowd, but sounds like that is inconsistent. But yes, almost always there's a larger presence in the stands for visiting teams than NU gets. When Michigan comes to town soon, it'll be like 80% maize and blue.

Bluedog
09-03-2018, 07:36 AM

As sagegeouse said, quarter system but starting in basically October is even late for them. Usually they start in Sept 12-25 range, I feel. Also, while Duke gets out in late April or very early May, NU doesn't get out until late June. I think it's a terrible schedule. Puts them at a disadvantage in getting summer jobs and they don't get to Chicago area to start the school year until the weather has already turned.

budwom
09-03-2018, 07:55 AM
What section?

Jersey Mike has the tickets, i'll ask and let you know, did not know you were going...i think we're sitting a bit high up (by design) and centrally...(not in the visiting ghetto)..

NW is openly working on improving their game day experience, so i look forward to testing that out...we got a NW parking pass (if it arrives), so we can see how it compares to Duke...food said to be improved at NW, we'll see...at least from past experience, the fans are cordial, look forward to a decent day...

JasonEvans
09-03-2018, 11:17 AM
I know food and where to sit are key issues for those of you attending the game, but did anyone watch NW this past week or have anything about their team they want to say?

-Jason "I know they do this strange QB rotation thing because their best QB tore his ACL and cannot play every snap" Evans

CameronBlue
09-03-2018, 11:25 AM
I know food and where to sit are key issues for those of you attending the game, but did anyone watch NW this past week or have anything about their team they want to say?

-Jason "I know they do this strange QB rotation thing because their best QB tore his ACL and cannot play every snap" Evans

Well no but here are the concession options at the their stadium.

The best food is at the south end of the stadium, where a long row of grills awaits. Burgers and hot dogs ($4), brats ($6), and chicken ($7) are better here, as are the tasty desserts (funnel cakes are a favorite, $7/$8). The star attraction is Real Urban Barbecue, with brisket and pulled pork sandwiches ($9), mac ‘n cheese ($4), and variations on the noble tater tot ($5/$9). However, this area is absolutely crushed at halftime – I wouldn’t want to walk through there, let alone fight through a line, so stop here early.

A runner up is the open-air grill in the outer concourse on the west side of the stadium, just inside Gate N – still crowded, but nowhere near as bad. In addition to the usual suspects, there’s a black bean veggie burger with chips ($6).

The main concession stands are okay (hot dogs $3.50, Polish sausages $4.50, snacks like soft pretzels $4.50) but the quality is a step down from the aforementioned grills. Note that stands in the outer concourse have the same options and shorter lines than ones in the inner concourse. There is decent hot cocoa ($3.50 at stands, $5 from vendors) if you need a quick warm-up. Soda and bottled water are $4, and no alcohol is sold.

If you just need some quick food in your stomach, grab a hot dog ($4) from one of the Mustard’s Last Stand carts outside on Central before you head in.

Bring cash – a few concession stands accept credit cards, but not all, and if there are any ATMs inside the stadium, they’re not easy to find.

budwom
09-03-2018, 11:56 AM

very solid team, make few mistakes. Front seven is stout..question is, can we run against them and can our tackles keep their DL away from Jones.
Not a flashy offense (nor team), but they run right at teams, throw the intermediate ball well (do not have ultra flashy WRs...last year we kept them in check, FWIW).
Very reasonable they are several point favorites, making mistakes against them will be perilous...team with fewest turnovers may well win...

Thorson looked surprisingly good considering the ACL...never been a huge fan of his, but he's effective most of the time...last year our DL ruined his day, but their OL was in a shambles last year, they're much better now. I would not bet on this game either way.

Bob Green
09-03-2018, 12:04 PM

I watched the 1st half of the NW - Purdue game on Thursday. Here are a couple of observations:

1. Thorson is a good but not great QB. The team moved the ball better with Thorson at QB over Green.
2. Running Back Jeremy Larkin looked very, very good.
3. The OL handled Purdue's DL.
4. NW wide receivers are nothing to write home about.
5. NW defense didn't standout as anything special.

Northwestern is a good team, a well coached team that will not beat themselves. I categorize Duke and NW as equals. It should be a competitive game.

OldPhiKap
09-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Purdue came out flat, letting NW build a good cushion. We cannot come out flat on either side of the ball.

The NW coach says that their QB situation is “fluid,” so we have to prepare for both. Neither is terribly mobile, but Thorson is able and smart.

They have a really good running game — not sure how we contained them so well last year.

The secondary got burned a few times by Purdue, so maybe we see some verticality.

All in all, being a slight underdog at NW sounds right. Two pretty even teams.

Bob Green
09-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Jeremy Larkin highlights from the Purdue game:

https://www.insidenu.com/2018/9/3/17806244/northwestern-football-film-analysis-jeremy-larkin-running-back

143 yards rushing, 2 TDs, 4 receptions for 20 yards.

budwom
09-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Purdue came out flat, letting NW build a good cushion. We cannot come out flat on either side of the ball.

The NW coach says that their QB situation is “fluid,” so we have to prepare for both. Neither is terribly mobile, but Thorson is able and smart.

They have a really good running game — not sure how we contained them so well last year.

The secondary got burned a few times by Purdue, so maybe we see some verticality.

All in all, being a slight underdog at NW sounds right. Two pretty even teams.

ah, last year. So this is what happened, two major things: 1) they had a bunch of OL guys playing out of position and our DL absolutely manhandled them. Do not expect that level of mismatch at all this year, should be a very important and even battle. 2) last year they were missing two key DBs, and early in the game they lost a third (tossed out) due to a helmet to helmet hit...
Having said that, I think we can perhaps pass against them, but that would require throwing the ball in a vertical fashion. Would be a splendid day for OC Roper to give up the notion of
the lateral passes, NW will eat that up.

Bob Green
09-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Would be a splendid day for OC Roper to give up the notion of the lateral passes, NW will eat that up.

September 19, 2015: Northwestern beats Duke 19-10. Duke leading 7-0, 2nd and goal at NW 11 yard line, Thomas Sirk throws a bubble screen toward Shaun Wilson, NW defensive end or linebacker makes a great play tipping the pass into the air and intercepting it. A missed scoring opportunity which would have put NW into a hole they might not have been capable of climbing out.

That was one of two plays which turned the game in Northwestern's favor. The second play being them running the 2nd half kick-off back for a TD. Game changing miscues: a Red Zone turnover and a Special Teams blunder.

Teams scout other teams so all our opponents know about our propensity to throw lateral passes. Those are great plays once or twice a game but you can't go to the well too often and we seem to go to the well repeatedly.

Bob Green
09-03-2018, 03:05 PM
Vegas has set the Over/Under at 47 points:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

OldPhiKap
09-03-2018, 03:46 PM

Take Duke straight up, and that O/U will be a push.

Duke 27, NW 20.

subzero02
09-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Take Duke straight up, and that O/U will be a push.

Duke 27, NW 20.

The O/U now stands at 49...Northwestern -3

OldPhiKap
09-03-2018, 08:32 PM
My message on a NW board, which I would say the same here:

Duke fan here, I come in peace.

First, congrats on a nice win over Purdue, and I hope Chris Collins leads y’all to the promised land in basketball.

We really look forward to this game. Northwestern has dominated this series, despite a nice win for us at home last year. We know y’all want revenge, as you should.

I see this game as being pretty even. Both teams have excellent linebacker squads, strong D lines, and very good secondaries who showed surprising cracks last week. Both have strong running games, yours more proven than ours. Both have good QBs if healthy, we might have a slight advantage there but like everyone else we are guessing. Our WRs and special teams are open questions although both played well last week.

Hard to measure where Duke is, because statistics against a good option team are skewed (fewer possessions on offense, defense sorta on its heels) so this is a good test. Vegas has us basically even, with the home field edge to Northwestern. Sounds about right.

May the game be injury-free, and may UNC go to Hell. Good luck to all.

— OPK

HereBeforeCoachK
09-03-2018, 08:44 PM
The O/U now stands at 49...Northwestern -3

Makes sense...I thought the line was high (at 4) and the OU a little low (at 47). Apparently I was not alone.

orrnot
09-04-2018, 07:50 AM
FTR, it’s NU, not NW.

OldPhiKap
09-04-2018, 08:09 AM
FTR, it’s NU, not NW.

Thanks for the correction, my bad.

budwom
09-04-2018, 11:47 AM
I known Sagarin type ratings mean little this early in the season, but I got a chuckle out of seeing Duke and NU (formerly known as NW) ranked right next to each other, I think 35th and 34th respectively.
Sure would like to see a healthy Brittain Brown play Saturday.

scylla
09-04-2018, 11:49 AM
FTR, it’s NU, not NW.

Yes, and their band is NUMB.

For real.

budwom
09-04-2018, 12:08 PM

For real.

that's so dumb.

devildeac
09-04-2018, 12:10 PM

For real.

that's so dumb.

Comfortably.

CameronBornAndBred
09-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Time to focus on the next task at hand. LGD!!!!

Duke is excellent at besting Vegas.

With Duke’s 20-point win over Army, a game that saw Duke favored by 13.5 points at kickoff, the Blue Devils improved to an insane record of 71-50-3 under David Cutcliffe against the Vegas point spread, per TeamRankings.com. That record is the 3rd best in the nation since 2008.
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/being-a-duke-football-fan-literally-pays-off/17817572/

By the way, that is a great article to read, it is more about the game day experience at Duke, not the betting factoid.

budwom
09-04-2018, 01:04 PM
I think this may be my first pre noon game ever (11 a.m. in Evanston), integrated dining strategy will be required, especially with a diinner time flight out of O'Hare.
dumb question: anyone know of any edible food at O'Hare? Might have to query Mr. Google on that one...

sagegrouse
09-04-2018, 01:33 PM
I think this may be my first pre noon game ever (11 a.m. in Evanston), integrated dining strategy will be required, especially with a diinner time flight out of O'Hare.
dumb question: anyone know of any edible food at O'Hare? Might have to query Mr. Google on that one...

Here's one article (https://chicago.eater.com/2015/11/19/9754432/ohare-chicago-airport-food-restaurants-ord), and there's another I can't find on revolutionary developments in airport food.

MartyClark
09-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Rick Bayless of Frontera Grill and "Mexico One Plate At A Time" fame has a nice modern Mexican restaurant at O'Hare. I think it is called Tortas Frontera.

The Publican, a good West Loop restaurant, has a fast casual branch at O'Hare.

I moved from Chicago 37 years ago but still get back there frequently for family or business. Chicago is famous for Chicago style hotdogs, deep dish pizza, and Italian beef sandwiches. I haven't found great versions of any of those at O'Hare.

CameronBornAndBred
09-04-2018, 02:06 PM
In the latest Coaches Poll, Northwestern is essentially 27th. (Duke is 35th)

devildeac
09-04-2018, 02:39 PM

Transferred planes at O'Hare two months ago traveling from Portland to Raleigh and saw a number of "suitable" places like Wolfgang Puck's and Chili's (?), some others restaurants with non-familiar names and the usual assortment of Chinese and fast food joints. Didn't eat at any of them as I had a GI bug contracted early that AM and was limited to clear liquids :o.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Rick Bayless of Frontera Grill and "Mexico One Plate At A Time" fame has a nice modern Mexican restaurant at O'Hare. I think it is called Tortas Frontera.

The Publican, a good West Loop restaurant, has a fast casual branch at O'Hare.

I moved from Chicago 37 years ago but still get back there frequently for family or business. Chicago is famous for Chicago style hotdogs, deep dish pizza, and Italian beef sandwiches. I haven't found great versions of any of those at O'Hare.

I am at O'Hare about once a quarter, usually on Delta or American (so I'm not very familiar what food there is in the United concourse). Frontera is by far the best way to go if you are looking for something that is not a chain. There are also a few branches of Garrett's popcorn, which is a local favorite - not a meal, but tasty.

BigWayne
09-04-2018, 03:20 PM
I am at O'Hare about once a quarter, usually on Delta or American (so I'm not very familiar what food there is in the United concourse). Frontera is by far the best way to go if you are looking for something that is not a chain. There are also a few branches of Garrett's popcorn, which is a local favorite - not a meal, but tasty.

I would agree Frontera is the best option at O'Hare. Not great, but best of the bunch.

thedukelamere
09-04-2018, 03:42 PM
I would agree Frontera is the best option at O'Hare. Not great, but best of the bunch.

Agreed. In the handful of times I was unfortunate enough to fly out of O'Hare for work, I've enjoyed Frontera (especially their guac)... On my own dime for vacation, I'd rather pick a new destination and fly out of Midway than deal with the cluster9f that is O'Hare.

budwom
09-04-2018, 03:46 PM

thanks to all of you for the info..yes, I like to avoid chains, and have to anticipate the possibility of ugly delays or cancellation, ack. Especially late in the day...

RPS
09-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Quarter system: Northwestern, Stanford, U. of Denver and a bunch of others. Ten week quarter with exams around T'giving.But for Berkeley, I think all the UC schools are also on the quarter system (UCLA, UCSD, etc.).

Bob Green
09-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Three matchups to watch:

https://www.insidenu.com/2018/9/3/17815080/three-matchups-northwestern-duke-preview-keys-to-the-game-bennett-skowronek-daniel-jones

1. Bennett Skowronek vs. Mark Gilbert
2. Montre Hartage vs. T.J. Rahming
3. Northwestern's linebackers against Daniel Jones

I always enjoy articles from the other team's perspective.

MartyClark
09-04-2018, 05:25 PM
thanks to all of you for the info..yes, I like to avoid chains, and have to anticipate the possibility of ugly delays or cancellation, ack. Especially late in the day...

If you have the time and inclination to eat somewhere near O'Hare, try Restaurant Mehanata in Des Plaines (my home town).Chicago has a big Bulgarian population and this restaurant is rated as the best Bulgarian restaurant in the Chicago area.

One of my sons spent about 5 years in the Peace Corp and then other human rights assignments in Bulgaria. I love Bulgarian grilled meats and shopska salad.

This restaurant is a 10 to 15 minute cab ride from O'Hare. Nothing fancy on the inside but good food and Eastern European ambience and service.

Warning - unless you have a high tolerance for alcohol, do not try the rakia. I had rakia forced on me many times in Bulgaria and it is nasty and has a very high alcohol content.

Reilly
09-04-2018, 09:25 PM
Here are the game notes: http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5476067.pdf

OldPhiKap
09-04-2018, 09:49 PM

Wow, great stuff Reilly!

CameronBornAndBred
09-04-2018, 10:24 PM

• Dating back to the 2013 season, the Blue Devils are
35-22 (.614) in their last 57 regular season games
• Duke is 20-3 (.870) in its last 23 contests against
non-ACC opponents

It is beautiful that winning has become the norm for Duke football.

devildeac
09-04-2018, 10:41 PM
Forecast update for Chicago:

Low (Friday night): 62

High (Saturday): 70 (10% chance of rain)

Bob Green
09-05-2018, 04:52 AM
Jim Sumner article on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/5/17821862/cutcliffe-on-northwestern-and-where-duke-is-now-blue-devil-football

Cutcliffe has looked at the film and sees “the most athletic Northwestern team we’ve played. Athletic in both lines of scrimmage, certainly at linebacker and the secondary. Offensively, they always give you fits. They have a very talented running back and receivers and two quarterbacks who played well. I don’t know what to expect there.”

A good read.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-05-2018, 06:46 AM

What's up with that article always referring to Army as Army West Point....and not just Army?

MChambers
09-05-2018, 07:11 AM
What's up with that article always referring to Army as Army West Point...and not just Army?

We're not the only nation with an army.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-05-2018, 07:16 AM

I'm pretty sure we are the only nation with an Army football team....and when people say "the Army Navy game" I don't think there is confusion as to which Army is playing.

arnie
09-05-2018, 07:19 AM

Ok - but we’re not Duke Durham and other nations watch John Wayne movies, have dogs as pets and eat mayonnaise.😀

OldPhiKap
09-05-2018, 07:25 AM
I’m glad it’s Army West Point. Don’t really want to mess with Army 101st Airborne, or even a mechanized infantry unit.

camion
09-05-2018, 07:40 AM
I’m glad it’s Army West Point. Don’t really want to mess with Army 101st Airborne, or even a mechanized infantry unit.

Absolutely don't want to face those other guys. The 101st is always threat to go deep while the mechanized infantry has a strong ground game.

OldPhiKap
09-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Absolutely don't want to face those other guys. The 101st is always threat to go deep while the mechanized infantry has a strong ground game.

Who features the bubble sideline pass?

Oh wait, that’s us.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Ok - but we’re not Duke Durham and other nations watch John Wayne movies, have dogs as pets and eat mayonnaise.��

I'm not sure whether that poster was actually defending the use of "Army West Point" throughout the entire article, or just doing a bit of a drive by flippant devils advocate thing....but the fact is, the use of "Army West Point" three times in a very short article is awkward and odd. It's always been "Army" for their athletic teams and "West Point" when talking about someone getting appointment...and I've never heard it "Navy Annapolis"or "Air Force Academy Colorado Springs."

Now back to our regularly scheduled chat about the gave versus "Northwestern Evanston"......

sagegrouse
09-05-2018, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure whether that poster was actually defending the use of "Army West Point" throughout the entire article, or just doing a bit of a drive by flippant devils advocate thing...but the fact is, the use of "Army West Point" three times in a very short article is awkward and odd. It's always been "Army" for their athletic teams and "West Point" when talking about someone getting appointment...and I've never heard it "Navy Annapolis"or "Air Force Academy Colorado Springs."

Now back to our regularly scheduled chat about the gave versus "Northwestern Evanston"...

Moreover, it's the United States Military Academy. "Army" is just fine.

tteettimes
09-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Moreover, it's the United States Military Academy. "Army" is just fine.

Yeah......have another cup of coffee Old Man.....relax.....it’s just Wednesday
You’ll make it......:) :)

MChambers
09-05-2018, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure whether that poster was actually defending the use of "Army West Point" throughout the entire article, or just doing a bit of a drive by flippant devils advocate thing...but the fact is, the use of "Army West Point" three times in a very short article is awkward and odd. It's always been "Army" for their athletic teams and "West Point" when talking about someone getting appointment...and I've never heard it "Navy Annapolis"or "Air Force Academy Colorado Springs."

Now back to our regularly scheduled chat about the gave versus "Northwestern Evanston"...

I was just being flippant, which is my default setting. I don't think there's much point to quibbling about the composition of original DBR articles.

AGDukesky
09-05-2018, 09:40 AM
So just to clarify, did Duke win a football game last weekend or conquer the military of the world’s most powerful nation?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Forecast update for Chicago:

Low (Friday night): 62

High (Saturday): 70 (10% chance of rain)

That sounds like positively footballish weather.

CameronBornAndBred
09-05-2018, 10:41 AM
That sounds like positively footballish weather.

Definitely. Those going, please bring it back with you.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Definitely. Those going, please bring it back with you.

Sidenote: I am sick to death of this summer. Ready for fall for about two dozen reasons.

Let's go Duke!

NSDukeFan
09-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I believe there are other States, regions, provinces that have Northwestern regions. 😃

ehdg
09-05-2018, 11:45 AM
I'm pretty sure we are the only nation with an Army football team...and when people say "the Army Navy game" I don't think there is confusion as to which Army is playing.

Well then by some folks accounts the game should be called Annapolis vs West Point!! :rolleyes: But Navy would like that better cause then they'd come before Army if doing it alphabetically.

jimsumner
09-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Army West Point is a branding decision. I still use Army because I'm old and decrepit and if it ain't broke. . . .

And yes, I've wondered why they just don't go with USMA. There are plenty of examples of schools being well known by their initials. UCLA. UNLV. UTEP. UNC. Et. al.

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte insists on being called Charlotte for sports purposes. Not for anything else. Just sports.

A few years ago Duke hosted Penn in men's basketball. The Penn SID went around the media room before the game and very politely asked everyone to use University of Pennsylvania at least once before going to Penn.

And don't get me started on The Ohio State University.

Or Ole Miss.

OldPhiKap
09-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Gamecocks consider their school to be either USC or Carolina.

Talk about swimming upstream.

budwom
09-05-2018, 12:53 PM

Talk about swimming upstream.

that's why it's more popularly known as Pimento State. No confusion, clarity of glacial waters.

wilson
09-05-2018, 12:57 PM

Talk about swimming upstream.To be fair, the University of South Carolina was a school before California was a state.

CameronBornAndBred
09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Hmmmm, is this correct?

From Adam Rowe on 247 in a game preview.

Northwestern is going to come out firing on all cylinders early in the first half, looking to seek revenge on Duke for last year's blowout. With the game at 11AM East Coast time, the Blue Devils will be put back on their heels in the early going, but recover strong down the stretch.
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Football-Game-Preview-Week-Two-at-Northwestern-121462295/

I'm guessing he means kickoff is at 11am in Chicago?

Jim3k
09-05-2018, 02:00 PM
To be fair, the University of South Carolina was a school before California was a state.

There are some, and I won't mention any names, who think the University of South Carolina has not yet attained university status. :rolleyes:

Reilly
09-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Per this: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/04/15/dont-call-them-army-its-army-west-point-now.html

I imagine there are folks who have heard of "West Point" and don't realize it's the USMA or Army. So, the branding helps clear up that confusion.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Well then by some folks accounts the game should be called Annapolis vs West Point!! :rolleyes: But Navy would like that better cause then they'd come before Army if doing it alphabetically.

No actually there aren't any fans who think this.

Bob Green
09-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Hmmmm, is this correct?

From Adam Rowe on 247 in a game preview.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Football-Game-Preview-Week-Two-at-Northwestern-121462295/

I'm guessing he means kickoff is at 11am in Chicago?

12 pm Eastern time, 11 am Central time.

Tappan Zee Devil
09-05-2018, 04:31 PM
12 pm Eastern time, 11 am Central time.

Yes, I double-checked with my son-in-law, a NU grad with whom we are going to the game, and he said 11 AM (Chicago time) has been the standard kickoff time for home games at least since he was an undergrad 10+ years ago. Students do not appreciate the early start

HereBeforeCoachK
09-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Yes, I double-checked with my son-in-law, a NU grad with whom we are going to the game, and he said 11 AM (Chicago time) has been the standard kickoff time for home games at least since he was an undergrad 10+ years ago. Students do not appreciate the early start

From my experience, observation, and personal experience....7 pm games are far and away the students' favorites.....followed by 4 pm games......and there were the old 1:30 kick offs before games were widely televised.

Crowds are almost always bigger, louder, more energetic at night.....for reasons of added lubrication hours....

cato
09-05-2018, 05:21 PM
To be fair, the University of South Carolina was a school before California was a state.

And they still couldn’t claim USC. Sad!

jimsumner
09-05-2018, 05:52 PM

But then South Carolina wasn't a state.

Too soon?

Bob Green
09-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Game preview:

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/09/duke-vs-northwestern-fearless-prediction-game-preview

Money quote:

Duke will dominate the game for long stretches, but won’t have enough to show for it, settling for too many field goals to close out drives.

Our Red Zone offense needs to be on point or we need to score via explosives. A combination of the two would be optimum.

Bob Green
09-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Brittain Brown has played in 14 games so far in his career. Duke is 6-0 in games Brown has 11 or more carries, 2-2 in games with exactly 10 carries and 0-4 in games with less than 10 carries. #FeedtheBeast

swiseman
09-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Speaking of running backs, I asked Cut today on the ACC teleconference about the true freshmen who didn't play against Army. He remains high on the class even though only three (Bobo, Holman, Rice) played against Army. He said Durant continues to impress in practice.

Said Cut: "Mataeo had a great day yesterday and today in some live work, and he's ready. But again, it's a very competitive environment. There's only one football, and there's some backs that are playing well. But he's going to help us this year. No doubt in my mind, he is a terrific prospect."

Scorp4me
09-05-2018, 07:32 PM
Per this: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/04/15/dont-call-them-army-its-army-west-point-now.html

I imagine there are folks who have heard of "West Point" and don't realize it's the USMA or Army. So, the branding helps clear up that confusion.

Nike...smh :rolleyes:

HereBeforeCoachK
09-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Speaking of running backs, I asked Cut today on the ACC teleconference about the true freshmen who didn't play against Army. He remains high on the class even though only three (Bobo, Holman, Rice) played against Army. He said Durant continues to impress in practice.

Said Cut: "Mataeo had a great day yesterday and today in some live work, and he's ready. But again, it's a very competitive environment. There's only one football, and there's some backs that are playing well. But he's going to help us this year. No doubt in my mind, he is a terrific prospect."

Due to Army's slow motion clock usage, and Dukes short scoring drives, Duke had only like 52 or 53 offensive snaps. I think their normal games will be 70-80....that's a huge difference in how deep a coach might go.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-05-2018, 08:09 PM
And they still couldn’t claim USC. Sad!

That was of little consolation as they whipped us in the regionals....

OldPhiKap
09-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Due to Army's slow motion clock usage, and Dukes short scoring drives, Duke had only like 52 or 53 offensive snaps. I think their normal games will be 70-80...that's a huge difference in how deep a coach might go.

Cut mentioned after the game, and then expounded yesterday, that several folks did not play as much as they thought they might because of this.

arnie
09-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Brittain Brown has played in 14 games so far in his career. Duke is 6-0 in games Brown has 11 or more carries, 2-2 in games with exactly 10 carries and 0-4 in games with less than 10 carries. #FeedtheBeast

Apparently others feel the same way.

https://balldurham.com/2018/09/05/duke-football-born-run-ball/

loran16
09-05-2018, 08:36 PM

Less the case in this variant than in the usual one, but a reminder that teams' higher winning percentage in games they have more carries is a classic example of reverse causation - teams rush more with the lead, so their winning percentage in games with more rush attempts are higher as a result, and those leads aren't necessarily generated by rushing more. Brown should carry more, but he's more likely to get more carries in a game Duke is winning than losing, so the stat is slightly misleading.

DU82
09-05-2018, 08:53 PM
From my experience, observation, and personal experience...7 pm games are far and away the students' favorites....followed by 4 pm games...and there were the old 1:30 kick offs before games were widely televised.

Crowds are almost always bigger, louder, more energetic at night....for reasons of added lubrication hours...

Back in the day, we had 1:30 kickoffs, and we liked it. None of this 7PM night stuff. Of course, the lack of lights in Wallace Wade until 1983 (permanent lights later), was somewhat of a factor.

Reilly
09-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Northwestern's game notes: https://nusports.com/documents/2018/9/4//G2_Northwestern_vs_Duke_Game_Notes.pdf?id=21835

HereBeforeCoachK
09-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Back in the day, we had 1:30 kickoffs, and we liked it. None of this 7PM night stuff. Of course, the lack of lights in Wallace Wade until 1983 (permanent lights later), was somewhat of a factor.

I remember a game televised from WW at night, a Thursday I think....Ben Bennett broke the NCAA passing record that game....something like 82 or 83 or 84....the field was so dark, you could hardly follow the action.

But there is nothing like night college football.

Reilly
09-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Free: http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1843&SPSID=22672&DB_OEM_ID=4200

devildeac
09-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Somehow, I think we win a close one this weekend.

Duke-27
Northwestern-24

jimsumner
09-06-2018, 12:21 AM
I remember a game televised from WW at night, a Thursday I think...Ben Bennett broke the NCAA passing record that game...something like 82 or 83 or 84...the field was so dark, you could hardly follow the action.

But there is nothing like night college football.

Bennett only played one night game at WW, his Senior Day game in 1983. It was broadcast on a Thursday night by TBS or TNT, under temporary lights. NC State was the opponent.

Great game. Duke trailed 26-7 in the 4th but rallied to a 27-26 victory, the winning score a short 4th-and-goal pass from Bennett to Mark Militello. Very similar to the UNC game in 2012, Renfree to Crowder.

Bennett broke some NCAA records the next week, a loss in Chapel Hill. Duke led by a TD late but the home team scored touchdowns on its last two possessions. That was a game that started in daylight but ended in the gloaming.

Duke installed permanent lights over the winter. Duke defeated Indiana 31-24 in the first WW game under permanent lights. Redshirt senior QB Ron Sally had huge game. But he tore up his knee in the next game and his career came to an end.

Acymetric
09-06-2018, 12:26 AM
Bennett only played one night game at WW, his Senior Day game in 1983. It was broadcast on a Thursday night by TBS or TNT, under temporary lights. NC State was the opponent.

Great game. Duke trailed 26-7 in the 4th but rallied to a 27-26 victory, the winning score a short 4th-and-goal pass from Bennett to Mark Militello. Very similar to the UNC game in 2012, Renfree to Crowder.

Duke installed permanent lights over the winter. Duke defeated Indiana 31-24 in the first WW game under permanent lights. Redshirt senior QB Ron Sally had huge game. But he tore up his knee in the next game and his career came to an end.

Is that Renfree to Crowder TD the best Duke highlight in the last 30 years? Certainly top 5, right?

ricks68
09-06-2018, 01:24 AM

The obviously best meal is at the Gino's East Pizza right down the road in O'Hare Plaza. Got a deep dish pizza to go after the finals in Indy in 2010 for the flight home. I had to fight off most of the passengers on the plane, but I got it home intact. You can order it in advance, and then pick it up on the way to O'Hare for eating in the airport or on the plane or whatever.😋

ricks

budwom
09-06-2018, 07:24 AM
The obviously best meal is at the Gino's East Pizza right down the road in O'Hare Plaza. Got a deep dish pizza to go after the finals in Indy in 2010 for the flight home. I had to fight off most of the passengers on the plane, but I got it home intact. You can order it in advance, and then pick it up on the way to O'Hare for eating in the airport or on the plane or whatever.😋

ricks

thanks...i think much will depend upon my attitude post game, will it be celebratory or not?
Meanwhile some 15+ mph winds expected for the game, may not help the passing game. Still, I agree with those who say with these two teams, the team with fewer turnover is well apt to win....I still worry about missed assignments in the secondary...

wilson
09-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Is that Renfree to Crowder TD the best Duke highlight in the last 30 years? Certainly top 5, right?I watched that highlight a time or two (or seven...) just the other day. For my money, it's #1 easily. I'm hard-pressed to even round out the rest of a top 5, to be honest.

Acymetric
09-06-2018, 08:45 AM
I watched that highlight a time or two (or seven...) just the other day. For my money, it's #1 easily. I'm hard-pressed to even round out the rest of a top 5, to be honest.

It's not necessarily "one play", but Leon Wright and DeVon Edwards probably claim a spot each with back to back pick sixes.

wilson
09-06-2018, 08:50 AM
It's not necessarily "one play", but Leon Wright and DeVon Edwards probably claim a spot each with back to back pick sixes.Ooh, good call...I'd forgotten about that game.
I'd probably also throw in either Ross Martin's late FG or DeVon Edwards' clinching INT in Chapel Hill in 2013 to seal our ACC Championship Game berth.

thedukelamere
09-06-2018, 09:36 AM
For those traveling up for the game, here's a cool write up on some Chicago eats... I can personally vouch for Au Cheval and Johnnie's Beef, and if you're feeling frisky find one of the 8 or 9 Northwestern fans in attendance and place some side bets involving shots of Jeppson's Malört. They'll know you mean business.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/6/17825230/chicago-food-diary

sagegrouse
09-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Ooh, good call...I'd forgotten about that game.
I'd probably also throw in either Ross Martin's late FG or DeVon Edwards' clinching INT in Chapel Hill in 2013 to seal our ACC Championship Game berth.

Got a lot of big-time kickoff returns to celebrate. I was in South Bend in September 2016 for Shaun Wilson's 96-yard kickoff return, which turned the game around when Duke was trailing 14-0. Duke won on a last minute field goal, 38-35.

Reilly
09-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Probably need a new thread -- "FB: Top Plays of the Cut Era" -- but I'm not touching the hot stove that is the start a new thread button.

Nominee: Connette's 3-yard run on 4th and 1 @VT in 2013: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209292664

jimsumner
09-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Randy Cuthbert's TD run against Clemson has to be on the short list. 1989, so it falls within the 30-year threshold.

killerleft
09-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Randy Cuthbert's TD run against Clemson has to be on the short list. 1989, so it falls within the 30-year threshold.

You beat me to it, Jim! That run, which ended with All-American and future NFLer Chris Port and friends bullishly pushing the Clemson defensive line into the endzone from five yards out, is still one of the all-time Duke sports highlights for me. Port was part of a highly-regarded class of players recruited by Steve Sloan. The offensive line was probably one of the best in college that year.

That play was shown during the Army West Point game Saturday. I'd love to see that game in its entirety. Port's comments in the locker room after were a joy to watch.

Acymetric
09-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Probably need a new thread -- "FB: Top Plays of the Cut Era" -- but I'm not touching the hot stove that is the start a new thread button.

Nominee: Connette's 3-yard run on 4th and 1 @VT in 2013: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209292664

Should we include an Asack keeper montage from that​ game @ VT?

chrishoke
09-06-2018, 11:42 AM
You beat me to it, Jim! That run, which ended with All-American and future NFLer Chris Port and friends bullishly pushing the Clemson defensive line into the endzone from five yards out, is still one of the all-time Duke sports highlights for me. Port was part of a highly-regarded class of players recruited by Steve Sloan. The offensive line was probably one of the best in college that year.

That play was shown during the Army West Point game Saturday. I'd love to see that game in its entirety. Port's comments in the locker room after were a joy to watch.

I have that game on VHS tape. AWESOME!

jimsumner
09-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Walk-on Matt Brooks kicked a 53-yard field goal to beat Clemson 16-13 in 2004.

That ranks pretty high on my way-cool list.

I would take a 53-yard field goal by a walk-on to beat Clemson again.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2018, 11:55 AM

When something works, stick with it.

When something doesn't work, still stick with it.

Or something like that.

jimsumner
09-06-2018, 12:05 PM
When something works, stick with it.

When something doesn't work, still stick with it.

Or something like that.

One of the great defensive efforts in modern Duke football history. All for naught.

Asack actually showed promise as a passer early in his Duke career, throwing for 328 yards at Clemson in 2005.

But he missed 2006 due to plagiarism and never again got back his mojo.

His passing stats for that VT train-wreck? 2-9, 20 yards, four interceptions.

Ouch.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-06-2018, 01:57 PM
It's not necessarily "one play", but Leon Wright and DeVon Edwards probably claim a spot each with back to back pick sixes.

I'll go with Devon's three TDs, including back to back pick sixes, to single handedly beat NC State and launch a good season.

CameronBornAndBred
09-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Dukies in the stands are gonna have to be real loud to be heard.

By the way, Northwestern is expecting a crowd of more than 40,000 for Saturday’s 11 a.m. kickoff even though most students won’t return to campus until the week of the Sept. 29 game against Michigan.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-northwestern-3-takes-presser-20180904-story.html

(Since there are almost 5,000 tix available on stubhub, that number may be skewed. :rolleyes:)

Bluedog
09-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Dukies in the stands are gonna have to be real loud to be heard.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-northwestern-3-takes-presser-20180904-story.html

(Since there are almost 5,000 tix available on stubhub, that number may be skewed. :rolleyes:)

Yep...no way there is going to be a crowd of 40,000+....Tickets in the 10th row in the middle of the field are going for like $15. FACE for those are $40. That doesn't happen for a near capacity crowd. I honestly think Duke fans WILL have a decent presence and will comprise a sizable contingent, but still need to be loud.

Bob Green
09-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Uniform reveal:

Blue helmet, White Jersey, Blue pants.

budwom
09-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Yep...no way there is going to be a crowd of 40,000+...Tickets in the 10th row in the middle of the field are going for like $15. FACE for those are $40. That doesn't happen for a near capacity crowd. I honestly think Duke fans WILL have a decent presence and will comprise a sizable contingent, but still need to be loud.

yup, 40k is some serious nonsense. Given the chance of showers (increasing now a tad) and the start time, I'd say 25k is the biggest actual crowd I can imagine...(no doubt the announced crowd will be far larger).
Great seats cost us nine bucks...

duke79
09-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Uniform reveal:

Like this look!

killerleft
09-06-2018, 04:45 PM
I have that game on VHS tape. AWESOME!

I thought I had taped it when I left home that day, but messed up somehow and ended up with something else on the recorder. If you ever convert yours to DVD, I'm a buyer!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Uniform reveal:

The shiny blue with the the white Iron D? Or with white script? (Like both of those)

loran16
09-06-2018, 06:50 PM

I feel like I need that montage to remind newer Duke grads of what they missed.

Also to provide context for my signature. :D

BigWayne
09-06-2018, 07:50 PM
The shiny blue with the the white Iron D? Or with white script? (Like both of those)

https://twitter.com/DukeFBEquipment/status/1037711835796070401

Hard to tell from this, but by what flashes by earlier in the video, it's not the script Duke.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2018, 07:55 PM
Per NU board link:

Week 2 Injury Report
vs. @DukeFOOTBALL

DT Alex Miller - OUT
DT Ben Oxley - OUT#B1GCats
6:11 PM - Sep 6, 2018

chrishoke
09-06-2018, 08:20 PM
Per NU board link:

Week 2 Injury Report
vs. @DukeFOOTBALL

DT Alex Miller - OUT
DT Ben Oxley - OUT#B1GCats
6:11 PM - Sep 6, 2018

Both starting defensive tackles?

OldPhiKap
09-06-2018, 08:28 PM

FWIW, the NU board I have been on this week doesn’t seem very concerned because they are deep there.

(The posters have been very nice to me, btw. Have enjoyed it)

Reilly
09-06-2018, 08:51 PM
... The posters have been very nice to me, btw. Have enjoyed it ...

Nice change of pace from family life?

BigWayne
09-06-2018, 08:54 PM

Depth chart they released is same as last week, showing Miller as 1st team and Oxley as 2nd team behind him.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2018, 08:54 PM
Nice change of pace from family life?

I’m blessed to have a wonderful spouse, kids, parents, sisters, in-laws, nieces, nephew, and cousins.

Just hope they say the same about me!

loran16
09-06-2018, 09:18 PM

One starter and a backup. For more details, see this post: https://www.insidenu.com/2018/9/6/17829820/northwestern-duke-injury-report-alex-miller-ben-oxley-defensive-tackle

Bob Green
09-07-2018, 04:55 AM
I believe the two defenses will set the tone so I'm predicting a lower score than most:

Duke 20, Northwestern 17

Predictions are totally useless but lots of fun!

mattman91
09-07-2018, 08:49 AM
24 - 13 good guys.

devildeac
09-07-2018, 10:34 AM
I watched that highlight a time or two (or seven...) just the other day. For my money, it's #1 easily. I'm hard-pressed to even round out the rest of a top 5, to be honest.

Ooh, good call...I'd forgotten about that game.

A game-winning FG at ND on 9/24/16 should get a few votes. Even Touchdown Jesus called that one "good."

devildeac
09-07-2018, 10:37 AM
For those traveling up for the game, here's a cool write up on some Chicago eats... I can personally vouch for Au Cheval and Johnnie's Beef, and if you're feeling frisky find one of the 8 or 9 Northwestern fans in attendance and place some side bets involving shots of Jeppson's Malört. They'll know you mean business.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/6/17825230/chicago-food-diary

If I'm remembering correctly (and Mrs. dd won't vouch for that very often:o) and that's what we discussed on Ymm, Beer a year or two ago, my response would be the loser has to drink those shots.

devildeac
09-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Are you Collin that one already, Jim?

devildeac
09-07-2018, 10:42 AM
yup, 40k is some serious nonsense. Given the chance of showers (increasing now a tad) and the start time, I'd say 25k is the biggest actual crowd I can imagine...(no doubt the announced crowd will be far larger).
Great seats cost us nine bucks...

Including fees? ;)

Reilly
09-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Are you Collin that one already, Jim?

Your attempts at humor are Wareham thin.

JD for Three!
09-07-2018, 12:45 PM

I live in Northbrook - about 15 miles from O’Hare. I agree with Puck’s and Frontera as the better restaurants in the airport. As far as Garrett’s popcorn, get the Chicago mix - half caramel corn and half cheese corn. I get the biggest bag and it tends to turn into a single serving size!

See everyone at the game

Banana
09-07-2018, 02:21 PM
The linked 2018 Football Depth Chart has been updated for the Northwestern Game. 8629 The cumulative 2017 snaps, passing and rushing yards, tackles, tackles-for-loss and turnovers have been replaced by the comparable stats from last week's Army game.

The snaps are the most interesting metric from my standpoint. Coach Cut has indicated that we had so few offensive plays against Army that he could not play everyone he wanted to. And he continues to sing the praises of Mateo Durant, so I suspect Mateo will play against Northwestern. The only 2nd team receiver who got substantial snaps against Army was Chris Taylor, who had one catch - for a loss of one yard. Scott Bracey, Keyston Fuller, and true freshman Jake Bobo each got a few snaps but no receptions. Hopefully at least one of them will step up this week. Against Army, 8 players got double figure snaps along the offensive line (at 5 positions), but the starting tackles and guards played most of the way. We went considerably deeper along the defensive line, as 9 players got at least 16 snaps (at only 4 positions). Based on the snaps data, it is not much of a stretch to say that we have 3 starters at defensive end (Dimukeje, Hornbuckle and Jordan) and 3 starters at defensive tackle (Cerenord, McSwain and Tangelo). At linebacker, we literally did have 3 starters, as Quansah was inserted in place of the strike safety to counter the Army option attack. Johnson played more than McDuffie at strike safety against Army, as McDuffie was not fully back to playing shape, yet. I suspect that McDuffie or Johnson, rather than Quansah, will get the start this week, since Northwestern has a more balanced attack. Even though redshirt freshman Damani Neal and last year's starter Jordan Hayes are both listed as 2nd team bandit safeties, Neal got 25 snaps against Army and Hayes got none. I do not know whether Hayes is injured.

It's interesting that Singleton got almost as many tackles last week (11) as Giles-Harris and Humphreys combined (13). But Humphreys blocked a FG, which is quite an accomplishment.

I switched the order of 1st team defensive ends Hornbuckle and Jordan to reflect that Hornbuckle got the start last week. I also switched the order of 1st team cornerbacks Carter and Blackwell to reflect that Carter got the start against Army. Coach Cut said that Blackwell was a bit banged up last week, which likely explains why Carter got 86 snaps and Blackwell got only 2.

Bob Green
09-07-2018, 04:19 PM
Jerry Palm at CBS says:

...I like the Cats at home somewhat comfortably.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-picks-predictions-odds-for-week-2-northwestern-an-easy-call-as-best-bet/

:mad:

Time to make Palm eat those words.

EDIT: Here is an article from InsideNU with film clips and analysis from last year's Duke - NU game and last week's Purdue - NU game. Good stuff!

https://www.insidenu.com/2018/9/6/17823626/northwestern-duke-preview-rpo-daniel-jones-film-video-analysis-keys-to-the-game-pat-fitzgerald

BigWayne
09-07-2018, 04:46 PM
Jerry Palm at CBS says:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-picks-predictions-odds-for-week-2-northwestern-an-easy-call-as-best-bet/

EDIT: Here is an article from InsideNU with film clips and analysis from last year's Duke - NU game and last week's Purdue - NU game. Good stuff!

https://www.insidenu.com/2018/9/6/17823626/northwestern-duke-preview-rpo-daniel-jones-film-video-analysis-keys-to-the-game-pat-fitzgerald

Well SVP led off his winners piece picking Duke over NW, so we do have some media on our side. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-31cUeHh6Xo)

HereBeforeCoachK
09-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Well SVP led off his winners piece picking Duke over NW, so we do have some media on our side. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-31cUeHh6Xo)

Wonder if SVP did that just to tweak Greenie, or if he really believes it. Technically he picked Duke to cover, not necessarily win.

duke2x
09-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Jerry Palm at CBS says:

I don't gamble, but any Duke senior could retire before graduation betting against Jerry Palm.

I still like Duke 20-14 as a score v. Northwestern.

Bob Green
09-07-2018, 05:12 PM
I still like Duke 20-14 as a score v. Northwestern.

I predicted 20-17 Duke so you and I are pretty much in agreement. :cool:

luvdahops
09-07-2018, 05:33 PM
I predicted 20-17 Duke so you and I are pretty much in agreement. :cool:

I expect a little more scoring, but also a tight Duke win - 27-24.

I am Duke undergrad / Kellogg MBA who follows both teams pretty closely. I think Duke is the more talented team overall, and if we execute well generally, and avoid turnovers on offense and gash plays on defense, should win.

accfanfrom1970
09-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Duke 21-17. So it is written, so it is done.

devildeac
09-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Somehow, I think we win a close one this weekend.

Duke-27
Northwestern-24

I expect a little more scoring, but also a tight Duke win - 27-24.

I am Duke undergrad / Kellogg MBA who follows both teams pretty closely. I think Duke is the more talented team overall, and if we execute well generally, and avoid turnovers on offense and gash plays on defense, should win.

Great minds and all that stuff...

;)

DU82
09-07-2018, 11:48 PM
31-10. Our defense holds, and they can’t handle The Beast.

peloton
09-08-2018, 02:06 AM
Gameday! Victories on the road are even sweeter...go Duke!!

Reilly
09-08-2018, 02:49 AM
Gameday. Duke, we thy anthems sing ...

uh_no
09-08-2018, 06:13 AM

....and blue and white and white and blueeeeee.

LGD

OldPhiKap
09-08-2018, 06:36 AM

...and blue and white and white and blueeeeee.

LGD

(And sometimes black, what can you doooooooo?)

OZZIE4DUKE
09-08-2018, 06:45 AM
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifDuke more, Northwestern less. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif LGD! GTHc! 9F!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

arnie
09-08-2018, 06:49 AM
31-10. Our defense holds, and they can’t handle The Beast.

Yes, this game may tell us if our D is the best Duke D in decades. Northwestern has a solid and more traditional O; I’m expecting them to score less than 20.

Bob Green
09-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Yes, this game may tell us if our D is the best Duke D in decades. Northwestern has a solid and more traditional O; I’m expecting them to score less than 20.

This game will also be a litmus test for the offensive line. I've stated multiple times, over the off season, the offensive line will be a team strength this season. Today will tell us a lot as Northwestern has a big, physical defensive front. Protecting Daniel Jones is an absolute requirement in order for our offense to click.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2018, 07:53 AM
This game will also be a litmus test for the offensive line. I've stated multiple times, over the off season, the offensive line will be a team strength this season. Today will tell us a lot as Northwestern has a big, physical defensive front. Protecting Daniel Jones is an absolute requirement in order for our offense to click.

I sure hope you are right about the line being a strength....to me, it was the biggest question mark coming into the season. If it does emerge as a team strength, this team will win a lot of games.

And you're no doubt correct that it is today's litmus test.

Avvocato
09-08-2018, 07:57 AM

I agree. Today we should see what we think we really have, including regarding our co-defensive coordinator situation. Unlike some, I was a little concerned about how Army surprisingly controlled our d line at times (and threw). It’s also why playing a real team in the opener will help us. I’m expecting the defense to stand up today. I’ve never been a real Thorson fan. However, as a 4-year starter, he is capable. With that said, let’s focus on stopping NU’s run and make their QB’s try to beat us. If Brown is healthy, let’s not forget him, stay away from falling into predictable wide receiver screens, mix up our play calling more, and as always, limit turnovers. Offensively, I thought the first quarter play calling resembled last year’s. Thereafter, I think we found a groove, and I’m more confident in the group heading into NU. I’m expecting our defense to answer the call, I think our offense will score, and I think a late touchdown puts away a 27-17 win. Can’t wait.

I think the next two weeks will dictate the rest of the season. I think we really need to at least split these next two games and be at least 3-1 heading into ACC season. Let’s go take care of business today.

On a side not, really like the NU series. Glad it starts again in 2021. We are similar schools that are typically evenly matched.

Now let’s go rip ‘me up. Let’s go Duke!

Bob Green
09-08-2018, 08:34 AM
Brett Friedlander discusses today's games for local ACC teams in the North State Journal. His Duke commentary is on the offensive line:

http://nsjonline.com/article/2018/09/five-questions-to-ponder-before-kickoff-14/

It doesn’t really matter how experienced and efficient QB Daniel Jones might be. If he doesn’t have time to look downfield and find open receivers, he’s not going to be effective and the Blue Devils are going to have a hard time winning. How much time he gets will depend on the play of the big guys protecting him up front.

luvdahops
09-08-2018, 09:04 AM

;)

Indeed! 😁

Indoor66
09-08-2018, 09:10 AM

;)

Where?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Brett Friedlander discusses today's games for local ACC teams in the North State Journal. His Duke commentary is on the offensive line:

http://nsjonline.com/article/2018/09/five-questions-to-ponder-before-kickoff-14/

...in another life, Brett Friedlander and I were in J-school together......many moons ago.

Bob Green
09-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Some injury news from Steve Wiseman on Twitter:

1. Aaron Young has a hamstring issue and is unlikely to play.
2. Marquis Waters hurt his ankle in Tuesday practice.
3. Jeremy McDuffie did not travel to Evanston.

Avvocato
09-08-2018, 10:34 AM

Lovely. Well, next man up. No excuses. Let’s go Duke!

Acymetric
09-08-2018, 10:44 AM

Not to take away from Waters, but 1 and 3 are highly disappointing for me.

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Did McDuffie play vs Army?

Bob Green
09-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Did McDuffie play vs Army?

Yes but not very much.

-jk
09-08-2018, 11:13 AM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Newton_14
09-08-2018, 01:28 PM
Over/Under on how many times the announcer says “RPO” in the second half??
Take a drink every time the announcer says “RPO” in the second half??

Dude, give it a rest!!!

Go Devils! Keep the foot on the gas pedal and run thesevboys out of their own stadium!!

peloton
09-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Let's go Devils! Looking good so far...don't let up in the 2nd half! Gilbert's injury doesn't look good.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Over/Under on how many times the announcer says “RPO” in the second half??
Take a drink every time the announcer says “RPO” in the second half??

Dude, give it a rest!!!

Go Devils! Keep the foot on the gas pedal and run thesevboys out of their own stadium!!

Yeah, when did this RPO abbreviation become a thing? Chris Collinsworth wouldn't stop saying it on Thursday night either. Maybe I'll get used to it, but it's jarring right now.

Well played first half overall. Very few penalties by either team, with the exception of that targeting call, which seemed pretty clearly to me to be the right call.

Daniel Jones has been super accurate, and looks like they guy we saw early last year.

The Gilbert injury looked bad. I'd be surprised if he's not done for the year.

martydoesntfoul
09-08-2018, 01:53 PM
How do you miss that holding call? Rahming was being bear hugged. What a travesty / momentum changer...

martydoesntfoul
09-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Huge, huge, huge red zone stand!

ChrisP
09-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Anemic offense thus far in 2nd half. Dodged a bullet when NW elected not to kick a FG. Seems like we're flirting with disaster wrt to field position lately. Hope we can get something going offensively soon!

ChrisP
09-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Big props to our D though!

NYBri
09-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Play calling......?

YmoBeThere
09-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Defense has spent too much time on the field in the 3rd quarter.

ChrisP
09-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Would love to at least string a few first downs together and get some time off the clock on this drive.

ChrisP
09-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Ugh...Jones to the lockerroom. Not good

YmoBeThere
09-08-2018, 02:35 PM
And now Jones is out...

Ballboy1998
09-08-2018, 02:48 PM
If Duke loses this one it falls on 70 being entirely unable to slow down anyone.

richardjackson199
09-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Go Duke, but sadly the health status of Daniel Jones is more important for our season than the outcome of this game. The Gilbert injury also looked awful. Can't help that now, so let's get this W

richardjackson199
09-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Cutcliffe reported some sort of clavicle injury for Jones he thinks and "costly win, we'll lick our wounds"

Not good

YmoBeThere
09-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Hopefully that addresses some of the concerns people had about our defense.

75Crazie
09-08-2018, 03:11 PM
One thing that this game shows: We have more depth on the team than we have had in many, many years … except for the most critical position, quarterback. I am very impressed with the defense I saw today, given the injury situation. I am very, very afraid of the quarterback situation.

peloton
09-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Costly win but kudos to the defense. Now, let's try to get healthy again.🤕

duke79
09-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Go Duke, but sadly the health status of Daniel Jones is more important for our season than the outcome of this game. The Gilbert injury also looked awful. Can't help that now, so let's get this W

Ugly game, IMHO, all the way around but I’ll take the win! D won the game for Duke but offense was anemic. Not sure about the play calling. Let’s hope DJ is ok but did not look good to me. Where is Jack Sears?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Hopefully that addresses some of the concerns people had about our defense.

I think it does, but sadly renews some concerns about the O, the play calling, the decision making in the RPO....

Papa John
09-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Ugly game, IMHO, all the way around but I’ll take the win! D won the game for Duke but offense was anemic. Not sure about the play calling. Let’s hope DJ is ok but did not look good to me. Where is Jack Sears?

Totally disagree... this game was a thing of beauty. Our D, other than the one play on the first drive where Larkin broke free, was absolutely suffocating. Virtually no YACs for Northwestern... A donut on 4th down conversions... 4-man rush generating pressure all afternoon... We've never—NEVER—seen D like this in the modern era of Duke football. It was a thing of absolute beauty to watch! Cheers to the defense!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2018, 03:21 PM
off topic, looks like S Florida will beat Ga T today

martydoesntfoul
09-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Totally disagree... this game was a thing of beauty. Our D, other than the one play on the first drive where Larkin broke free, was absolutely suffocating. Virtually no YACs for Northwestern... A donut on 4th down conversions... 4-man rush generating pressure all afternoon... We've never—NEVER—seen D like this in the modern era of Duke football. It was a thing of absolute beauty to watch! Cheers to the defense!Correct!

dukelifer
09-08-2018, 03:24 PM
Cutcliffe reported some sort of clavicle injury for Jones he thinks and "costly win, we'll lick our wounds"

Not good

Too bad. Duke started out impressively but can’t lose Jones and be as good- he is a big notch above the others.

Bob Green
09-08-2018, 03:29 PM
If Jones is out for a few games, we are in trouble. The backup quarterback situation is shaky.

Dukehky
09-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Katrenick get some run here. Probably more of a dual qb system than just having Harris run the whole show.

jafarr1
09-08-2018, 03:36 PM
If Jones is out for a few games, we are in trouble. The backup quarterback situation is shaky.

To put it mildly.

Avvocato
09-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Not saying I want to lose, but with today’s win, we could absorb a loss at Baylor and should still beat UNCC. That would buy three weeks before Va. Tech. If he were to be out longer, we are in some real trouble. At least we now buy some time to get the backups real work and game plan for them.

With that said, hoping for the best. I think Gilbert’s injury looked bad too. Wishing all the guys best health and speedy recoveries.

Bob Green
09-08-2018, 03:45 PM
That would buy three weeks before Va. Tech. If he were to be out longer, we are in some real trouble. At least we now buy some time to get the backups real work and game plan for them.

Excellent point! Three weeks could be enough time. We should know more about the injury tomorrow afternoon.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Great win, but definitely time for our RS Frosh or true Frosh QB to step up. Opportunity knocks, just like it did for Daniel Jones two years ago. LGD GTHc!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Excellent point! Three weeks could be enough time. We should know more about the injury tomorrow afternoon.

Right....say we lose to Baylor - then we should still beat NCCU with whoever at QB. Then say Jones returns. We would be 3-1, with a much more developed back up system than we ever had last year. It might pay dividends long term, kind of how Sirk's injury paid long term dividends.

Dukehky
09-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Would be shocked if Jones is back for VT by the way things looked. I think we're in for a longer absence for Jones and I doubt Gilbert is back this season. That looked like a broken ankle. But I'm no doctor. Cut sounded really dejected, I think things aren't rosy for the Gang.

dukelifer
09-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Would be shocked if Jones is back for VT by the way things looked. I think we're in for a longer absence for Jones and I doubt Gilbert is back this season. That looked like a broken ankle. But I'm no doctor. Cut sounded really dejected, I think things aren't rosy for the Gang.

One the big challenges for a program like Duke- they have some very good players but they have limited depth. Makes it hard to last a whole season.

aGDevil2k
09-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Not saying I want to lose, but with today’s win, we could absorb a loss at Baylor and should still beat UNCC. That would buy three weeks before Va. Tech. If he were to be out longer, we are in some real trouble. At least we now buy some time to get the backups real work and game plan for them.

With that said, hoping for the best. I think Gilbert’s injury looked bad too. Wishing all the guys best health and speedy recoveries.

With our schedule, the Baylor came could loom VERY important to make a bowl game.

I don't get why people are down on Quentin. They have legit never let him show anything -- it's been a Cut theme for backup QBs. The only time I remember him getting quality reps was against NCCU. He threw it well and had some nice tight throws. Outside of that, he's come in mainly for our lovely "backup QB package" - and then today, of course, when our playcalling was "OMG just get out of here"

He might not be a world beater. But I haven't seen any reason to say he is going to just suck.

dukelifer
09-08-2018, 04:15 PM
With our schedule, the Baylor came could loom VERY important to make a bowl game.

I don't get why people are down on Quentin. They have legit never let him show anything -- it's been a Cut theme for backup QBs. The only time I remember him getting quality reps was against NCCU. He threw it well and had some nice tight throws. Outside of that, he's come in mainly for our lovely "backup QB package" - and then today, of course, when our playcalling was "OMG just get out of here"

He might not be a world beater. But I haven't seen any reason to say he is going to just suck.

I think he is solid but he is not Jones. Jones was showing signs of reaching a very high level for a college quarterback. That is very hard to replace. Only elite programs have multiple elite level quarterbacks.

Dukehky
09-08-2018, 04:22 PM
I think he is solid but he is not Jones. Jones was showing signs of reaching a very high level for a college quarterback. That is very hard to replace. Only elite programs have multiple elite level quarterbacks.

Yeah, Jones is a legit NFL prospect. He kinda makes the offense go. That's going to be really hard to replace. He's a good runner up the gut, he's huge, got a big arm and has been extremely accurate this year. Our offense is going to see a significant drop in production, which is to be expected, can't lose your starting QB. We don't have a Fromm, Lawrence, Fields, or Tua waiting in the wings. Our defense might be able to hold up without Gilbert, although it will be way tougher now.

aGDevil2k
09-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Yeah, Jones is a legit NFL prospect. He kinda makes the offense go. That's going to be really hard to replace. He's a good runner up the gut, he's huge, got a big arm and has been extremely accurate this year. Our offense is going to see a significant drop in production, which is to be expected, can't lose your starting QB. We don't have a Fromm, Lawrence, Fields, or Tua waiting in the wings. Our defense might be able to hold up without Gilbert, although it will be way tougher now.

Absolutely there will be a drop. But we should still be able to beat Baylor (I think - hard to know based on their schedule) and NCCU. We probably aren't beating Virginia Tech no matter who our QB is. So IMO the key is Georgia Tech, which is 5 weeks away.

I just don't think we should write off the kid until we see what he can do with a full playbook and "open reigns" from Roper. He didn't do anything bad today -- even though he got mauled from Harris's issues. He might be bad. But I haven't seen anything to say that it's a certainty or even "unstable" - it's just more unknown.

I think next week depends more on our run game. No matter who your backup QB is - you need to run it. And well, our running today was not good (2.5 yd per). Brown seems really banged up.

Avvocato
09-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Absolutely there will be a drop. But we should still be able to beat Baylor (I think - hard to know based on their schedule) and NCCU. We probably aren't beating Virginia Tech no matter who our QB is. So IMO the key is Georgia Tech, which is 5 weeks away.

I just don't think we should write off the kid until we see what he can do with a full playbook and "open reigns" from Roper. He didn't do anything bad today -- even though he got mauled from Harris's issues. He might be bad. But I haven't seen anything to say that it's a certainty or even "unstable" - it's just more unknown.

I think next week depends more on our run game. No matter who your backup QB is - you need to run it. And well, our running today was not good (2.5 yd per). Brown seems really banged up.

I don’t think anyone is saying Harris automatically stinks, and there is no hope to win a game. But as of today, he has not shown, or been asked to show, much, and I don’t think there is much confidence in him based on prior play and preseason, etc. Some guys you look and and see a player. He has not shown that to most of us yet, but now he will get his chance. Going into this season, reasonably, our chances have largely depended on Jones’s health. He is the one player where we don’t have much confidence in our backup. Well, it appears that Harris and the others will be asked to step up. Hopefully they do, and if so, we’ll be singing a new tune. If not, we’re hoping we can buy some time in case DJ can come back within a few weeks. If doesn’t appear to be his throwing shoulder, but we’ll see.

As for next week if no DJ, Baylor will without a doubt stack the line and make us beat them through the air. We will have to throw. Baylor has a lot of athletes. I wouldn’t judge them by last year’s record. Hopefully with a week to prepare, we pull it off. My point was that a loss on the road at Baylor is not unreasonable, but with today’s win and a winnable game afterwards against UNCC, we can hopefully buy some time to either get DJ healthy or get Harris or another backup ready or ACC season. Look at what happened to FSU last year when Francois went down.

As we all ar3, hoping for the best. I don’t expect the coaches to get a lot of sleep tonight b

arnie
09-08-2018, 05:23 PM

I thought or was hoping Gilbert’s injury was a bad ankle sprain. I’d there strong indication it’s a broken ankle or other break?

tbyers11
09-08-2018, 05:25 PM
I thought or was hoping Gilbert’s injury was a bad ankle sprain. I’d there strong indication it’s a broken ankle or other break?

On TV, it looked like a knee injury to me. His foot caught and his knee hyperextended.

aGDevil2k
09-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Baylor gave up 460 yards of offense to Abilene Christian. So there's that.

I think, as we have seen for a decade, any backup QB in a cut offense will ONLY be given very minimal plays when they come in -- mainly runs, QB runs and short passes. It led us to think most of our backups have been bad. And it wasn't always the case.

Until proven he sucks, I am just saying you cannot judge him based on choice plays....

I just hope we don't see an insanely conservative package next week. Though, honestly, if our run game isn't any better, we could be in trouble no matter what.

sagegrouse
09-08-2018, 05:30 PM
I dunno why you don't expect "an insanely conservative offense." We had one today in the 2nd half BEFORE Daniel was injured.

mwharrington
09-08-2018, 05:34 PM

You know that field we play on, "Brooks Field". That is Matt Brooks' family

aGDevil2k
09-08-2018, 05:49 PM
I dunno why you don't expect "an insanely conservative offense." We had one today in the 2nd half BEFORE Daniel was injured.

True.

I know that's what we are going to do, too. Our offense, no matter the QB, was just in "hold on!" mode for the 2nd half

75Crazie
09-08-2018, 05:57 PM
On TV, it looked like a knee injury to me. His foot caught and his knee hyperextended.
But that is pretty much what happened to Brown last week, and he played today. We just won't know until they have a chance to examine and test him.

Dukehky
09-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Word is dislocated hip for Gilbert.

That ruined Bo Jackson's career, but there were some other issues with that like blood flow to his femur or something. Haven't watched that 30 for 30 in a while.

Bob Green
09-08-2018, 06:14 PM
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/09/daniel-jones-mark-gilbert-suffer-potential-long-term-injuries-against-northwestern

"We have a lot of information on him, we took him to the hospital here," Cutcliffe said. "Right now, we are figuring Mark [Gilbert] is going to be out for quite some time."

Not good news.

sagegrouse
09-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Word is dislocated hip for Gilbert.

That ruined Bo Jackson's career, but there were some other issues with that like blood flow to his femur or something. Haven't watched that 30 for 30 in a while.

Uh, no. Gilbert's injury can't be the same as Bo Jackson's.

Bob Green
09-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Jim's take:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/8/17835910/jim-on-duke-northwestern-acc-football

devilish
09-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Have to say, it was a mighty nice seven hours of programming on ESPN2 today... A Duke win followed by ShoeNC’s loss to the Pirates.

killerleft
09-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Totally disagree... this game was a thing of beauty. Our D, other than the one play on the first drive where Larkin broke free, was absolutely suffocating. Virtually no YACs for Northwestern... A donut on 4th down conversions... 4-man rush generating pressure all afternoon... We've never—NEVER—seen D like this in the modern era of Duke football. It was a thing of absolute beauty to watch! Cheers to the defense!

I'm gonna hopefully agree!😊

richmclean
09-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Jim's take:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/9/8/17835910/jim-on-duke-northwestern-acc-football
Great article as expected. Money quote:
“Duke hasn’t allowed a point in the fourth quarter in its last seven games.”

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
09-08-2018, 08:46 PM
So DJ!s injury is a real bummer, but if we can hold a good team to seven points we have a chance to win every game, even VPI. (Admittedly Clemson is in another universe). What this team proved today is we have the most depth of any Duke team I can remember, and I saw my first game as a student in 1967. We don’t have to have great quarterback play to win most of our games, just serviceable should do. So hold on a few weeks, everybody step up their game, and get well Daniel.

75Crazie
09-08-2018, 09:06 PM
... VPI ...
Oh oh.

chrishoke
09-08-2018, 09:13 PM
NW press conference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKpCIk84AU

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2018, 09:38 PM
NW press conference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKpCIk84AU

Is there a link to Cut's post game presser? Wasn't up on GoDuke last time I checked. (update, it's up now)

Newton_14
09-09-2018, 12:19 AM
A really great and strong win, obviously overshadowed by our best players on both sides of the ball going out with what look like bad and long term injuries. I would surmise we get Daniel back much sooner than we get Gilbert back, but I suppose we will know more tomorrow after both guys are thoroughly examined by the best physicians in the world at Duke University Hospital. Praying for both young men.

Back to the game for the moment, after that first Northwestern drive for a score, the game was all Duke. After watching Northwestern destroy Purdue last week I was very worried about going up there today, but our team made a loud statement today that we are a force to be reckoned with. Northwestern had no answer for us on either side of the ball. Our receivers are playing so much better than last year. They don't even look like the same guys, and Jones has been a stud out there in every facet of his game. Outside of the Alabama's and Clemson's of the world, we can compete with toe to toe, and beat anybody. Hopefully Jones is not out too long and is able to play at the same level as he was when he returns.

I do want to comment on the 2nd half play calling prior to the Jones injury. Even though I too, was somewhat disappointed at the play calling during that time, we have to remember that there were a few logical reasons we were so conservative. First was field position. We just could not flip the field on them. We got trapped there for what seemed like forever, with drives that kept starting inside the 20, and ironically, if Northwestern had kicked the field goal as they should have, we probably change the bad field position after they kickoff. But they didn't take the FG and our defense just kept stopping them, and their punter did an excellent job at keeping us pinned deep. Second was that we were on the road in a hostile environment against a formidable opponent so Roper and staff probably wanted to play it safer than they would have otherwise. Lastly, as we saw with the injury, we did not show much ability to block the guy that pummeled Jones on the play he got hurt on.

Obviously once we lost Jones there was just no chance at all we were going to call anything other than runs or quick short passes that couldn't be picked off.

Our defense was great. I think we should celebrate that fact rather than bemoaning the conservative play calling. We shut them out for 3 full quarters and about 10 minutes of another. That's dominance, especially on the road and especially after losing our best defender.

Great win.

My two cents...

Mark

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 08:00 AM
I do want to comment on the 2nd half play calling prior to the Jones injury. Even though I too, was somewhat disappointed at the play calling during that time, we have to remember that there were a few logical reasons we were so conservative. First was field position.

Mark

I would only add that Coach Cut, in his post game, touched on the fact that they were too conservative in the third quarter. He said something like 'we need to be able to score even if we start on our own 6' - or words to that effect.

budwom
09-09-2018, 08:40 AM
I was happy to attend, NU's crowd was amped at the beginning, their team wanted payback from last year...but after their only score in the first five minutes, I don't think I've ever seen Duke silence a crowd so thoroughly...nice crowd on hand, totally mum as our defense squashed them repeatedly.

OldPhiKap
09-09-2018, 08:44 AM
I was happy to attend, NU's crowd was amped at the beginning, their team wanted payback from last year...but after their only score in the first five minutes, I don't think I've ever seen Duke silence a crowd so thoroughly...nice crowd on hand, totally mum as our defense squashed them repeatedly.

Thanks to you, dd, and the others who brought home a victory! (Not sure who else was there)

chrishoke
09-09-2018, 11:14 AM
I re-watched the game this am. Our pass rush was amazing -clearly the biggest difference in the.game. Their QBs were fluhed and hurried all game, mostly with just a 4 man rush. We played s lot of guys up front and they all contributed. Wow.

Faison1
09-09-2018, 12:00 PM
I re-watched the game this am. Our pass rush was amazing -clearly the biggest difference in the.game. Their QBs were fluhed and hurried all game, mostly with just a 4 man rush. We played s lot of guys up front and they all contributed. Wow.

One thing I noticed yesterday....I don't think we should blitz anymore. Our front four is so strong that we don't need to add pressure to get to the QB. One of the times we did in the first half, we got burnt for a big play on a 3rd down.

It brought back visions of losing to Pitt last year, not to mention other big play nightmares.

Our D is very good. In the past, we did it because we couldn't get enough pressure in the backfield. It's become unnecessary, IMHO.

budwom
09-09-2018, 12:08 PM
^ exactly, Chris. With the DL bringing the pressure, we didn't have to blitz nearly as much as we did with Knowles last year, far fewer safety blitzes leaving huge holes in the secondary. And Rumpf is a really impressive third and long pass rushing end, he was a demon yesterday.

Thought I'd mention the old Game Day Experience topic: we've had some good discussions here about what some of us see as shortcomings..so I checked out the NU scene pretty heavily.
What struck me is how similar it is to the Duke experience..fans are the same basic demographic; I know the students were gone, but as at Duke, saw none of the drunken shenanigans some fan
bases feature...NU fans easy to deal with.

Parking seemed a bit more professionally run, lots of NU (i assume) cops (maybe Evanston)...and the lot attendants seemed more on the ball than what I see from Duke counterparts.

But the concessions appeared to be weak....go to wildcatreport.com and they have a thread on the lameness of the concessions...I feel their pain, I really do.

Funny dopey thing: when you enter you get some coupons (i threw them out) but a NU fan posted a photo...coupon said use this for "20% off at California Pizza Kitchen if NU fails to score in the third quarter!"
Good way to celebrate your lack of success (indeed, the coupon was relevant yesterday).

They had the usual halftime over the top hoopla...all in all a pleasant experience, but NU does not do an appreciably better job with concessions, that's for sure.

Fans brought good enthusiasm, then Duke extinguished it after the first five minutes of play...

jafarr1
09-09-2018, 12:17 PM
The improvement in the DL since Albert arrived has been absolutely amazing. I know Cutcliffe likes his assistants to keep growing and move on, but if Albert ever leaves, that would be a massive, massive loss.

While the need not to bring more than four on most downs is a huge plus, it is important to keep changing looks every so often. I'm just glad we don't need to sell out and bring the house on every third and long any more, and that we have the depth to bring in fresh bodies in passing situations and on long drives.

Avvocato
09-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Assuming Gilbert is out for extensive time, if not the year, the ability to pressure opposing QB’s with just the front four will help our secondary. While the defensive line did an outstanding job, also note that Northwestern’s starting offensive tackles both left the game with injury. With that said, the defense was outstanding, and we will need to rely on them more than ever in the next few weeks.

Reilly
09-09-2018, 12:40 PM
... the defense was outstanding ...

#96 had a nice coming out party ...

Reilly
09-09-2018, 02:13 PM
How about that Koppenhaver catch?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2018, 02:29 PM
How about that Koppenhaver catch?

Great catch, pulled DJ's not so great pass out of the fire.....

Dukehky
09-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Uh, no. Gilbert's injury can't be the same as Bo Jackson's.

I know it's not he same injury, but it was a dislocated hip...

Indoor66
09-09-2018, 07:09 PM
I know it's not he same injury, but it was a dislocated hip...

No had further complications that probably will not occur with the medical care he will receive.

OldPhiKap
09-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Spent some time on a NU site last week, nice folks. They had a very nice thread after the game entitled

“Cutcliffe: most underrated coach in FB”

Gotta agree.

budwom
09-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Spent some time on a NU site last week, nice folks. They had a very nice thread after the game entitled

“Cutcliffe: most underrated coach in FB”

Gotta agree.

They did have the usual pre game threads predicting not too much from Duke...last year they had some valid excuses for the beat down in Durham (their OL was in disarray and they had copious defensive back injuries) but this year I think we made it clear that we had a distinct edge in skill position speed. I think Jones surprised them, general consensus was he couldn't hold Thorson's clipboard....

I'm still a bit stunned about how big, fast, deep and young our defense is...we had a solid rotation on the DL with I believe ten guys playing (most of them young); and the safeties performed heroically after Gilbert went down and Carter had to play full time at CB...

But I agree, generally very nice folks over there, we've gone thru the same reality checks they are currently going through...who knows what they'll do this year, I'm still amazed they won 10 games last year.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2018, 02:51 PM
I had forgotten to look to see how NU did last weekend, following up their game against Duke. Coming off the emotional loss to our Blue Devils, Northwestern summoned their strength and resolve and scored 34 points in a loss to the Akron Zips. At home!
At least Army has been on a two game winning streak since their loss.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2018, 03:23 PM
I had forgotten to look to see how NU did last weekend, following up their game against Duke. Coming off the emotional loss to our Blue Devils, Northwestern summoned their strength and resolve and scored 34 points in a loss to the Akron Zips. At home!
At least Army has been on a two game winning streak since their loss.

And I think they had to close strong to even make the game close. This did not help our ranking.