PDA

View Full Version : ACC Football: Week 1

Acymetric
09-01-2018, 05:38 PM
Figured we needed a thread to discuss happenings around the conference. So far, the ACC is undefeated (against admittedly lackluster competition). Of course, that may change today (and one of FSU/VT will lose on Monday).

richardjackson199
09-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Figured we needed a thread to discuss happenings around the conference. So far, the ACC is undefeated (against admittedly lackluster competition). Of course, that may change today (and one of FSU/VT will lose on Monday).

Hope so. I'm starting to have a new favorite halftime score.

Go Golden Bears!

Bob Green
09-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Halftime: California 17, UNC 0.

Nathan Elliot has thrown 3 interceptions including a Pick 6. :cool:

devildeac
09-01-2018, 06:09 PM
heels looking good. 17 yards on 15 passes so far. Darn shame that Elliot has almost as many catches by the Bears as he does his own team :D. 2.7 YPC, too.

Bob Green
09-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Interception #4 for Nathan Elliot. Chazz Surratt should go sell another pair of shoes.

dukelifer
09-01-2018, 07:22 PM
heels looking good. 17 yards on 15 passes so far. Darn shame that Elliot has almost as many catches by the Bears as he does his own team :D. 2.7 YPC, too.

Its gotta be the shoes

OldPhiKap
09-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Go to HELL Carolina!

devildeac
09-01-2018, 08:07 PM
To their credit, they did stage a 4Q comeback. To those admiring truth, honesty and justise, those lying, cheating vermin still lost. 9F.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Slightly off topic, but worth mentioning....App State's amazing performance versus Penn State before losing 45-38 in OT.

Coolest thing? The Penn State fans giving App a huge standing ovation as they left the field after the game. On the App Football Facebook, many Penn State fans chiming in with great respect and admiration for App.

OldPhiKap
09-01-2018, 10:05 PM
The “Fire Fedora” thread at IC is kinda entertaining. Hope that doesn’t happen.

JasonEvans
09-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the ACC, there seems to be a legit QB controversy in Clemson. Freshman Trevor Lawrence looked pretty darn awesome in his debut, tossing 3 TD passes and leading the team to scores in all five of his possessions. Senior starting QB Kelly Bryant wasn’t bad, but just wasn’t nearly as good as Lawrence.

CameronBlue
09-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Go to HELL Carolina!

Well now you're just piling on.

OldPhiKap
09-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Well now you're just piling on.

It’s a fair cop.

Duke won.
State won
Carolina lost.
Three day weekend.
DaughterPK home for the weekend from college.

Life is good.

OldPhiKap
09-02-2018, 11:19 AM
For salt in the wound, N&O’s grading of UNC yesterday:

Quarterbacks: F+
Running backs: C
Offensive line: D+
Wide Receivers: D+
Defensive line: B+
Linebackers: A
Secondary: B
Special teams: C+
Coaching: D+

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article217728915.html

I guess they miss their easy A’s more than I expected.

duke2x
09-02-2018, 11:29 AM
For salt in the wound, N&O’s grading of UNC yesterday:

Quarterbacks: A+
Running backs: A
Offensive line: A+
Wide Receivers: A+
Defensive line: A+
Linebackers: A+++:D
Secondary: A
Special teams: A+
Coaching: B+

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article217728915.html

I guess they miss their easy A’s more than I expected.

I recalibrated the grades to a UNC transcript for you. ;) You can't expect UNC to use real-world evaluation standards.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-02-2018, 11:55 AM
I recalibrated the grades to a UNC transcript for you. ;) You can't expect UNC to use real-world evaluation standards.

Nicely played sir

camion
09-02-2018, 12:46 PM

I'm sure they can at least hang a participation banner. After all they did come in second and their opponent finished next to last. :p

devildeac
09-02-2018, 01:21 PM
It’s a fair cop.

Duke won.
State won
Carolina lost.
Three day weekend.
DaughterPK home for the weekend from college.

Life is good.

Harumph:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401013086

OldPhiKap
09-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Harumph:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401013086

I don’t believe in college overtime, so I’ve marked that down as a tie.

dukelifer
09-02-2018, 02:54 PM

Are you sure they actually played a game? They have been known to get high grades without having to show up.

OldPhiKap
09-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Are you sure they actually played a game? They have been known to get high grades without having to show up.

Well, the offense sure didn’t show up for the first 45 minutes.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Well, the offense sure didn’t show up for the first 45 minutes.

...entered the fourth quarter with a B average still.....

dragoneye776
09-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Looking like the ACC Coastal is wide open for the taking

devildeac
09-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Looking like the ACC Coastal is wide open for the taking

And there were no blocks-in-the-back on LSU's recently completed pick 6. :eek:

jimsumner
09-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Remember all the way back in 2016, when the ACC had a credible case that it had caught the SEC?

Seems like a mirage.

And in an aside, ECU lost today to NC A&T. I'm not sure how much longer Scottie Montgomery can hold on.

OldPhiKap
09-02-2018, 10:09 PM
Remember all the way back in 2016, when the ACC had a credible case that it had caught the SEC?

Seems like a mirage.

And in an aside, ECU lost today to NC A&T. I'm not sure how much longer Scottie Montgomery can hold on.

Scottie needs to beat UNC and/or rattle off enough wins to go bowling. For a guy on the hot seat, today was really problematic.

Tough week for ACC v. SEC. I’ll give a bit of a pass to Louisville, who played the best team in the country and the question was always how bad the whooping would be. Miami is getting embarrassed right now; essentially a road game for Miami but still.

JasonEvans
09-03-2018, 12:50 AM
Miami, widely thought to be the ACC’s second best team, just got housed by the SEC’s fourth or fifth best team. Now, no one expects the ACC to really compete with the SEC in football, but this is pretty darn embarrassing.

Jason “did a Mark Richt team just lay an egg in a big game.... I’m shocked!” Evans

Devilwin
09-03-2018, 07:02 AM
Scottie needs to beat UNC and/or rattle off enough wins to go bowling. For a guy on the hot seat, today was really problematic.

Tough week for ACC v. SEC. I’ll give a bit of a pass to Louisville, who played the best team in the country and the question was always how bad the whooping would be. Miami is getting embarrassed right now; essentially a road game for Miami but still.

Not so sure about Bama being the best. OSU may be claiming that this year...

HereBeforeCoachK
09-03-2018, 07:48 AM

Seems like a mirage.

It was a mirage that the ACC had caught the SEC....but Clemson is as good a program as there is anywhere...and the gap between the ACC and the SEC is much smaller than it used to be of course.

...and Montgomery is toast. Has been toast. Great receivers coach, so so OC, not ready for HC.

sagegrouse
09-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Not so sure about Bama being the best. OSU may be claiming that this year...

Ah, yes. The mysterious OSU -- is that the Ohio, Oklahoma or Oregon version?

Not sure about Bama, given its replacements on defense, versus Clemson or Georgia. I still think the Big Ten tends to be over-rated, but we'll see. As to OSU, still some murmurs and resignations happending over Urban Meyer's rather short suspension.

jimsumner
09-03-2018, 11:21 AM
It was a mirage that the ACC had caught the SEC...but Clemson is as good a program as there is anywhere...and the gap between the ACC and the SEC is much smaller than it used to be of course.

...and Montgomery is toast. Has been toast. Great receivers coach, so so OC, not ready for HC.

Two years ago Clemson beat Alabama in the national title game, Lamar Jackson won the Heisman, the ACC had a big head-to-head advantage over the SEC and won most of their bowl games. Georgia Tech even beat Georgia that season.

For that one year, the ACC had a strong case for being the best conference. But it appears that was a short-term thing. A blip in the radar.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/acc-best-conference-sec-clemson-deshaun-watson-lamar-jackson-010317

HereBeforeCoachK
09-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Two years ago Clemson beat Alabama in the national title game, Lamar Jackson won the Heisman, the ACC had a big head-to-head advantage over the SEC and won most of their bowl games. Georgia Tech even beat Georgia that season.

For that one year, the ACC had a strong case for being the best conference. But it appears that was a short-term thing. A blip in the radar.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/acc-best-conference-sec-clemson-deshaun-watson-lamar-jackson-010317

Yes, I agree, for the one year the ACC had passed them.....but it was a blip (my word mirage referred to the overall long term). The ACC faces a ton of demographic and cultural hurdles versus SEC football.

JasonEvans
09-04-2018, 07:26 AM
So, I'd say it looks like Va Tech is the team to beat in the Coastal. They manhandled FSU last night. Couple that with Miami laying an egg against LSU and we have an early Coastal leader.

OldPhiKap
09-04-2018, 07:34 AM
So, I'd say it looks like Va Tech is the team to beat in the Coastal. They manhandled FSU last night. Couple that with Miami laying an egg against LSU and we have an early Coastal leader.

. . . And with Louisville getting hammered along with the ‘Noles, looks like Clemson may not break a sweat to take the Atlantic.

budwom
09-04-2018, 12:11 PM

FSU looked lost at times. Could easily see the Willie Taggart reign being a short one, that's a tough job to take on.