PDA

View Full Version : Football season prediction thread

OZZIE4DUKE
08-26-2018, 08:02 AM
15-0 baby! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif I agree with Ben Humphries and one of the few times I disagree with Jim Sumner! :phttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

OldPhiKap
08-26-2018, 08:28 AM
I’m thinking 8-4, but going to say 9-3 because I am optimistic despite the tough schedule.

Finish in top 25, go to a moderately nice bowl, and win that too.

I hope I am eating crow in favor of Ozzie’s prediction though!

fuse
08-26-2018, 08:43 AM
6-6, and hoping to be very wrong. I will say I hope to be bowl bound and another bowl win.

arnie
08-26-2018, 08:49 AM
6-6, and hoping to be very wrong. I will say I hope to be bowl bound and another bowl win.

Much better D than in years past. 9-4 after bowl win. Shutout win over the Holes.

devildeac
08-26-2018, 09:01 AM
15-0 baby! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif I agree with Ben Humphries and one of the few times I disagree with Jim Sumner! :phttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Pie bet anyone?

;)

devildeac
08-26-2018, 09:02 AM
Much better D than in years past. 9-4 after bowl win. Shutout win over the Holes.

Pie bet anyone?

;)

HereBeforeCoachK
08-26-2018, 09:07 AM
Much better D than in years past. 9-4 after bowl win.

That's about my guess....but it's my optimistic guess.8-5 is my actual prediction.

The margin for error here is paper thin.....a couple of good bounces early could launch a 9 win season.....a couple of bad bounces could launch a 3 win season.

Bob Green
08-26-2018, 09:18 AM
8 wins.

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2018, 09:45 AM
I'll start with the losses.

Clemson and Miami. Of course I'd love to win both of those, but unless the Tigers come down with food poisoning, that one ain't happening. Miami is doable, but it's an away game and they are going to be very good this year.

Wins will be
Army, Baylor, NCCU, GT, Virginia, unc, Wake

That leaves a few tossups. I can see Northwestern, VT, and Pitt going either way. I'm going to say we take 2 of 3 of them.

So I'm predicting 9-3, and a win in a respectable bowl. :D

I also think how we are looking after the Baylor game will set the tone for the season. If we don't have at least 2 wins by then, we're in trouble.

fisheyes
08-26-2018, 10:29 AM
I love the optimism of those that know the team best, but I would be happy with 6 wins and a bowl bid.
It's a much tougher schedule this year for sure.
Loving Ozzie's optimism but...

chrishoke
08-26-2018, 11:15 AM
6-6. I'm not convinced that our QB and WRs can stretch the field enough to be a top team. Against our schedule 6-6 would be very respectable. I'm afraid that we are at our best when Daniel is mixing in the
QB run - can he stay healthy - our backup options are not ACC caliber at this point, so our margin of error is slim. Go Duke. This team has lots of potential. Other than Clemson, there is not a team on our schedule.we can't beat.

sagegrouse
08-26-2018, 11:21 AM
Nine and four, including a bowl win.

duke2x
08-26-2018, 11:22 AM
I look at games as probability. Please do NOT quote this post without editing it.

Army. 80%. New QB + 4 new OL = not good for Army.

NW. The big question here is how effective their QB will be returning from an ACL and at RB. They struggle early, get an extra day of rest, and school is out (empty big stadium). FYI, the ACC has to staff 3-5 new ref crews for this week only, but these are two top 30 teams preseason. 50%.

Baylor. This is one we could overlook. They will be better than last year and will still have a little of the Briles talent left. It's also going to be 100 degrees in the Texas sun. 55%.

NCCU. 99.9%. The last game in the series unless we need renovations again.

VT. The huge losses on defense through graduation and attrition might be too much for Foster to repair in 5 games. It's also a trap game for them as they host ND the next week. We always lose close ones to them at home under Cutcliffe even if we struggle in Blacksburg the previous year. I'll parrot the preseason computers. 50%.

GT. GT is much better at home, and we never play well in Atlanta. We get the lone ACC bye week to prepare for them. Instead of my usual 20-30%, I'll go 40% in a high scoring game.

UVA. New QB with some graduation losses. We've had the better team for the vast majority of this decade, and we're due here after the games in 2015 and 2016. 60%.

Pitt. We owe them as well, and it is unlikely to be a snowy 30 degrees before Halloween. They should be better, but I'm not sold on them. Everyone forgets they lost to UNC two weeks before beating Miami. They could have 6+ losses when we play them with a brutal schedule. Playing at Pitt reminds me of Wally Wade under Roof and Franks. 45%.

Miami. Richt has avoided most of the inconsistency that plagued his predecessors. We don't play well in Miami, and the talent differential is noticeable. The road to a Coastal championship goes through Fort Lauderdale for Duke. 10%.

UNC. Like Baylor, they will be better and will score points regardless of QB. We should score more than 27 on them. 50%.

Clemson. Duke can do what State, Syracuse, and Pitt have done. The talent differential is huge. I'll go with a blowout instead of a trap game with South Carolina the next week. 5%.

Wake. They won't fall off the map with Hinton. Wolford carried their team at the end of the year due to their defense. Depth is always a factor by game 12. 55%.

Final result: 6.0 wins.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-26-2018, 12:38 PM
8 wins.

Reg season, or reg and bowl...?

Bob Green
08-26-2018, 12:56 PM
Reg season, or reg and bowl...?

Eight wins total: 7-5 regular season plus a bowl game victory.

CameronBlue
08-26-2018, 02:03 PM
I predict that Duke will play Clemson 3 times.

OldPhiKap
08-26-2018, 02:10 PM
I predict that Duke will play Clemson 3 times.

After we beat Clemson twice, we will be facing Alabama or Georgia for the third game.

ChapelHillDevil
08-26-2018, 02:54 PM
12-2. With the two loses to Clemson. Clemson wins national championship and our final ranking is #8 in the country. We parlay that into a #10 ranking going into next year with our showdown with Bama.

jafarr1
08-26-2018, 05:12 PM
8-5. I really like our running game and our defense, but we need our passing game to become significantly better than last year's to get to 9-4, and I have trouble seeing that happen. We *might* get better at passing in the red zone with our TEs plus Young (and hopefully Bobo).

Reilly
08-26-2018, 05:44 PM

My thoughts exactly. And i love Cut in any bowl with our defense and a month to get healthy and prepare.

IF Bobo channels some CV2 competiveness, Bracey (or someone) breaks out, and we have unusually good health and Daniel has no bad games ... then up it to an 8 reg/9+bowl-win year.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-27-2018, 08:24 AM

Got it...I kinda hedged my 8-5 total.....I figure 7-5 and a bowl game we should win...or 8-4 and an underdog status in the bowl.

killerleft
08-27-2018, 09:01 AM
The schedule is so tough this year. Still, I have to believe our defense will be strong, and the offense improved. Special teams are a big question mark, but I'm going with 8-5 with a bowl win, too.

No pie bet, though.:D We're in that large group of teams that need a bit of luck, especially with injuries, for things to go really well.

elvis14
08-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Undefeated, National Championship.....I'm a Clemson Alum :-)

For Duke I see 6-7 wins for a team that plays the right way and battles every week.

AGDukesky
08-27-2018, 10:34 AM
I’ll go with 7 wins because the schedule is so tough. In other years I would have said 8-9 before the bowl game...

Dukelogger
08-27-2018, 11:09 AM
1st 4:
3-1

Middle 4:
2-2

Last 4 + Bowl Game:
3-2

I had originally posted a slightly more optimistic season prediction in another thread, but after looking over the schedule this would be a very good season against that schedule. Finish with a bowl win, some good off-season and preseason hype for Daniel Jones, and a lead up into a strong showing in the opener vs Bama in 2019. This program is in very good hands and being a Duke football fan has never been more fun.

OldPhiKap
08-27-2018, 11:20 AM
1st 4:
3-1

Middle 4:
2-2

Last 4 + Bowl Game:
3-2

I had originally posted a slightly more optimistic season prediction in another thread, but after looking over the schedule this would be a very good season against that schedule. Finish with a bowl win, some good off-season and preseason hype for Daniel Jones, and a lead up into a strong showing in the opener vs Bama in 2019. This program is in very good hands and being a Duke football fan has never been more fun.

The bolded part is exactly right, at least in most of our lifetimes.

I called for 9 wins being optimistic, but this outcome would still be a proud year and a heck of a lot of work to achieve. The schedule is for big boys this season.

Indoor66
08-27-2018, 11:46 AM
This program is in very good hands and being a Duke football fan has never been more fun.

At least in the last 50 or so years. Some remember further back than others - to Cotton Bowls and Orange Bowls.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-27-2018, 02:54 PM
At least in the last 50 or so years. Some remember further back than others - to Cotton Bowls and Orange Bowls.

That is about my memory span, as I started extremely young pulling for the Devils. The ten years of Cut have been the highlight decade of the last 5 - but I'd say the years of Spurrier as OC under Red Wilson...and then HC ....were pretty fun too.....but short lived.

luvdahops
08-28-2018, 10:31 AM
1st 4:
3-1

Middle 4:
2-2

Last 4 + Bowl Game:
3-2

Agreed on all points. Going with 4-4 ACC, 7-5 overall plus a bowl win. 5-3, 9-3 regular season is certainly possible, though that likely means a much tougher bowl matchup.

Dukelogger
08-28-2018, 11:23 AM
I'd love to get matched up with an SEC or a PAC-12 opponent (but more so SEC opponent.) Cutcliffe will have wins over a team in every P5 conference, soon. He has beaten a Big 10 and BIG 12 team and ND in South Bend in the last two years, but most would probably agree the most significant boost to this program's perception under Cutcliffe was the Chick-fil-a Bowl vs A&M, a game we should've won. And the Arizona St team in 2014 that we also should've beaten in the 2014 Sun Bowl was a very good team that beat a ton of ranked teams that year. If we can beat a team from either conference that would be a tremendous shot in the arm to this program's greatly improved national perception.

Acymetric
08-28-2018, 11:23 AM
1st 4:
3-1

Middle 4:
2-2

Last 4 + Bowl Game:
3-2

Agreed on all points. Going with 4-4 ACC, 7-5 overall plus a bowl win. 5-3, 9-3 regular season is certainly possible, though that likely means a much tougher bowl matchup.

I would be...pleasantly disappointed (is that a thing?) with a 7-5 regular season, a bowl win would be critical to being able to call such a season a real success. 8-4 is the where I would set a "good" season (with anything better than that being great season). Reason being, this should be the best defense we've had in a long, long time (and it will be at least 2 years before we had a similar combination of talent and experience, even if next year's group were as talented which is debatable it would not have near as much experience). I really don't want to squander that by a) struggling to adjust to the new defensive coaching staff or -more likely- b) continuing to struggle mightily on offense. 6-7 wins that gets us to a bowl falls in the "acceptable, but not exciting" category. 5 or fewer would be "bad". I know all the reasons why, but purely looking at the numbers our offense was "Roof-esque" for much of last season. If we can put together even a consistently mediocre offense (I hope for better and believe it is attainable with a healthy Jones), and maintain (or improve!) our defense we could do some pretty cool things.

I will confidently predict an 8-4 season, with our 4 losses coming from [Clemson, Miami, Pitt, Baylor, NW, GT].

DukeTrinity11
08-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Duke has 3 of the 10 best players in the ACC in my opinion and the 2nd best defense in the ACC behind Clemson.

In no specific order:

Christian Wilkins (Clemson)
Austin Bryant (Clemson)
Clelin Ferrell (Clemson)
Dexter Lawrence (Clemson)
AJ Dillon (Boston College)
Jaquan Johnson (Miami)
Shaq Quarterman (Miami)
Joe Giles-Harris (Duke)
Ben Humphreys (Duke)
Mark Gilbert (Duke)

We have a junior QB and perhaps the most talented RB I've ever seen in Durham: Brittain Brown.

I'm going out on a limb and saying we're going 10-2 with a close loss to Clemson and another loss somewhere else on the schedule due to a trap game.

We owe Miami one after we had a game stolen from us and as far as the rest of the ACC goes, we should just be more talented than them period.

:cool:

HereBeforeCoachK
08-28-2018, 01:57 PM
,..... but most would probably agree the most significant boost to this program's perception under Cutcliffe was the Chick-fil-a Bowl vs A&M, a game we should've won..

I certainly agree with that, but I'm not sure most would agree. That performance was dazzling in some ways....and as discussed earlier on I think this thread, might've been won with clock mgt at end of half....

Acymetric
08-28-2018, 02:05 PM
I certainly agree with that, but I'm not sure most would agree. That performance was dazzling in some ways...and as discussed earlier on I think this thread, might've been won with clock mgt at end of half...

Even with the loss, that was when we convinced a lot of people (on a national stage) that we could compete with the big boys, which was important after (unsurprisingly) getting stomped by FSU in the ACC Championship.

I will say that Duke-Texas A&M is the only game in any sport that I have ever enjoyed rewatching multiple times even though we lost. Really great game and great moment for the program (and a killer turnout by the fanbase at the game too).

duke2x
08-28-2018, 06:23 PM
I'd love to get matched up with an SEC or a PAC-12 opponent (but more so SEC opponent.) Cutcliffe will have wins over a team in every P5 conference, soon. He has beaten a Big 10 and BIG 12 team and ND in South Bend in the last two years, but most would probably agree the most significant boost to this program's perception under Cutcliffe was the Chick-fil-a Bowl vs A&M, a game we should've won. And the Arizona St team in 2014 that we also should've beaten in the 2014 Sun Bowl was a very good team that beat a ton of ranked teams that year. If we can beat a team from either conference that would be a tremendous shot in the arm to this program's greatly improved national perception.

I remember seeing Duke pick off Vandy in the endzone in 2008. ;) PAC-12 is a much tougher get that almost has to be a bowl named Sun. I would prefer a closer venue so we don't have to spend a month there one night.

peloton
08-28-2018, 09:01 PM
We owe Miami one after we had a game stolen from us...

That's what I'm talking about. There are 2 teams I really want to beat this season. Most here can guess who the first one might be - the program down the road that can't play by the rules. Secondly, after our misfortune the last few years against the Canes I would love to get the bad taste out of my mouth from the infamous multi lateral/knee down loss.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-28-2018, 09:16 PM
Even with the loss, that was when we convinced a lot of people (on a national stage) that we could compete with the big boys, which was important after (unsurprisingly) getting stomped by FSU in the ACC Championship.

I will say that Duke-Texas A&M is the only game in any sport that I have ever enjoyed rewatching multiple times even though we lost. Really great game and great moment for the program (and a killer turnout by the fanbase at the game too).

I agree with absolutely every syllable...^^^^^ my thoughts exactly....including an amazing turn out for a small school with a small alumni base...

OldPhiKap
08-28-2018, 09:26 PM
I agree with absolutely every syllable...^^^^^ my thoughts exactly...including an amazing turn out for a small school with a small alumni base...

We sure seemed to be half the crowd there. What a remarkable night.

Dukelogger
08-29-2018, 09:58 AM
For me, our crowd in the dome that night is a significant piece of the memory from that game. I was watching with a bunch of high school buddies and their wives, mostly alums or fans of the two football schools in South Carolina, and everyone was shocked to see how well we were represented. To see the Duke crowd scattered all over the lower and upper deck and hear us (obviously I wasn't there, thanks to all that did go!) as much as you can from a tv broadcast, I will still remember that as a great night for Duke football. I think moving forward though, thats in the past and this program is beyond moral victories. Bring on A&M in the Belk Bowl! Friday can't come soon enough!

devildeac
08-29-2018, 10:35 AM
For me, our crowd in the dome that night is a significant piece of the memory from that game. I was watching with a bunch of high school buddies and their wives, mostly alums or fans of the two football schools in South Carolina, and everyone was shocked to see how well we were represented. To see the Duke crowd scattered all over the lower and upper deck and hear us (obviously I wasn't there, thanks to all that did go!) as much as you can from a tv broadcast, I will still remember that as a great night for Duke football. I think moving forward though, thats in the past and this program is beyond moral victories. Bring on A&M in the Belk Bowl! Friday can't come soon enough!

The attendance was listed "officially" at 67K but the article I looked at thought it was less. I think Duke claims there were about 20-22K Duke tickets sold, pretty damned good for a school/fan base our size. I think we had about that many fans in the seats at the Belk Bowl in 2012, too. Another impressive showing. I don't recall reading about how many Duke fans attended the Pinstripe Bowl but I'd guess a comparable number. IIRC, OPK and some of his family were the only Duke fans who traveled to El Paso for the Sun Bowl and he was the only one who contracted Hep C. :rolleyes:;)

AustinDevil
08-29-2018, 10:37 AM

I was there, and while the Georgia Dome was not exactly full, it was about 90% full and the Duke and A&M crowds were of equal size and we were just as loud. Of course, being in Atlanta helped that--it wouldn't have been the case in, say, New Orleans or somewhere else farther from ACC territory and closer to College Station.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2018, 11:16 AM
The attendance was listed "officially" at 67K but the article I looked at thought it was less. I think Duke claims there were about 20-22K Duke tickets sold, pretty damned good for a school/fan base our size. I think we had about that many fans in the seats at the Belk Bowl in 2012, too. Another impressive showing. I don't recall reading about how many Duke fans attended the Pinstripe Bowl but I'd guess a comparable number. IIRC, OPK and some of his family were the only Duke fans who traveled to El Paso for the Sun Bowl and he was the only one who contracted Hep C. :rolleyes:;)

I have seen every bowl game in the Cut era (including the ACC championship game in Charlotte against FSU). We have had great crowds at every game, given our size. We certainly held our own at the ACCC, the Belk, the Peach-fil-A, the Pinstripe, and the last bowl in Detroit.

We were certainly outnumbered at the Sun Bowl, in part because there's no good way to get to El Paso and in larger part because Arizona State was a relatively easy drive for a much bigger alum base. I will say, though, that you could not find a friendlier host city and a beautiful setting. Would do that trip again in a heartbeat.

I got Hep D at the bowl, although it was from the tattoo in Juarez. Didn't know Hep had a D strain.

(Was also at the HOF Bowl in the Goldsmith era, we were badly outnumbered by Wisconsin. Not because Duke didn't show up, but because Wisconsin is apparently full of alum who jumped at the opportunity to go to Tampa for New Year's festivities and weather instead of shoveling snow).

sagegrouse
08-29-2018, 11:19 AM
(Was also at the HOF Bowl in the Goldsmith era, we were badly outnumbered by Wisconsin. Not because Duke didn't show up, but because Wisconsin is apparently full of alum who jumped at the opportunity to go to Tampa for New Year's instead of shoveling snow).

Florida folklore says that the West Coast of Florida is dominated by snowbirds and transplants from the Midwest, while the East Coast attracts those from the Northeast (with a big shout out to the Quebecois).

devildeac
08-29-2018, 11:51 AM
I have seen every bowl game in the Cut era (including the ACC championship game in Charlotte against FSU). We have had great crowds at every game, given our size. We certainly held our own at the ACCC, the Belk, the Peach-fil-A, the Pinstripe, and the last bowl in Detroit.

We were certainly outnumbered at the Sun Bowl, in part because there's no good way to get to El Paso and in larger part because Arizona State was a relatively easy drive for a much bigger alum base. I will say, though, that you could not find a friendlier host city and a beautiful setting. Would do that trip again in a heartbeat.

I got Hep D at the bowl, although it was from the tattoo in Juarez. Didn't know Hep had a D strain.

(Was also at the HOF Bowl in the Goldsmith era, we were badly outnumbered by Wisconsin. Not because Duke didn't show up, but because Wisconsin is apparently full of alum who jumped at the opportunity to go to Tampa for New Year's festivities and weather instead of shoveling snow).

Plus, New Glarus Brewing Company had just opened in 1993 so they were in their toddlerhood, even more incentive for Wisconsin fans to travel to a warmer locale. ;)

OldPhiKap
08-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Plus, New Glarus Brewing Company had just opened in 1993 so they were in their toddlerhood, even more incentive for Wisconsin fans to travel to a warmer locale. ;)

New Year’s Eve in Ybor City is a trip.

Dukelogger
08-29-2018, 01:05 PM

There are probably some SEC fans that believe you haven't made it as a football program until you have a message board thread covering all the Hepatitis strands...So we are well on our way boys!

jv001
08-30-2018, 09:20 AM
Daniel Jones, QB will be better and healthy(praying), Brown will be one of the best running backs in the conference and our wide receivers will be much improved. The only negative is the schedule. We have some games where any of Jones, Brown, our all-conference LBs could get dinged up. I'm going with 8-5 with a bowl win. GoDuke!

duke79
08-30-2018, 11:08 AM

This may not be the right place for this link but it makes for interesting reading!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-growing-problem-empty-seats-1535634001

It may help to explain why, when I watch Duke football games on TV, the "announced" attendance seems far higher than the number of actual bodies in the seats.

arnie
08-30-2018, 12:22 PM
This may not be the right place for this link but it makes for interesting reading!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-growing-problem-empty-seats-1535634001

It may help to explain why, when I watch Duke football games on TV, the "announced" attendance seems far higher than the number of actual bodies in the seats.

Excellent article. Selling our souls to ESPN is a huge part of the problem as noted and some day the smaller schools may elect to play televised games in front of empty stadiums. Would save $$ on stadium staff and stadium maintenance.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Excellent article. Selling our souls to ESPN is a huge part of the problem as noted and some day the smaller schools may elect to play televised games in front of empty stadiums. Would save $$ on stadium staff and stadium maintenance.

With due respect, I don't think that is it at all....Duke has had many 1 pm kickoffs forever long before ESPN...and poor crowds long before ESPN. In fact, their best attended game are also on TV, at night.

budwom
08-30-2018, 01:05 PM

I've long predicted days when we may pay fans to attend, make the place look full, just like in some city communities grievers have been hired to pack funerals...gig economy, folks!
p.s. "announced" attendances have been misleading for decades, be it in college sports, MLB, whatever...

article in USA Today about tens of millions of $ changing hands in college football as presumed patsies get paid to provide wins for the home team...some teams (MTSU?) are getting $3-4 million from several such games this year...alas, sometimes the strategy backfires, as when Nebraska last year paid North Illinois $820k to visit Lincoln, NIU won, D'oh!

Reilly
08-30-2018, 01:15 PM
I've long predicted days when we may pay fans to attend ...

I've been offered a drink and a sandwich if I grace the Tower for a quarter tomorrow night. I'm thinking there may be a timeshare presentation involved, however.

PackMan97
08-30-2018, 02:03 PM
Since you guys don't play State in the regular season, I'll predict a 13-1 record, losing to NC State in the ACC championship game and getting knocked out of the playoffs. State of course, has an undefeated season winning the ACC championship and NCAA championship!

Good luck ;)

jimsumner
08-30-2018, 03:31 PM
Since you guys don't play State in the regular season, I'll predict a 13-1 record, losing to NC State in the ACC championship game and getting knocked out of the playoffs. State of course, has an undefeated season winning the ACC championship and NCAA championship!

Good luck ;)

Get your hotel reservations for Charlotte right now.

arnie
08-30-2018, 04:05 PM
Get your hotel reservations for Charlotte right now.

That game would be fun but unfortunately it has 0 chance of happening (the Pack is too weak this year).😎

jimsumner
08-30-2018, 04:15 PM
That game would be fun but unfortunately it has 0 chance of happening (the Pack is too weak this year).��

The biggest obstacle to that meeting would be State getting by Clemson. Anybody getting by Clemson before the NCAA playoffs would be a shocker.

duke79
08-30-2018, 04:21 PM
I've long predicted days when we may pay fans to attend, make the place look full, just like in some city communities grievers have been hired to pack funerals...gig economy, folks!
p.s. "announced" attendances have been misleading for decades, be it in college sports, MLB, whatever...

article in USA Today about tens of millions of $ changing hands in college football as presumed patsies get paid to provide wins for the home team...some teams (MTSU?) are getting $3-4 million from several such games this year...alas, sometimes the strategy backfires, as when Nebraska last year paid North Illinois $820k to visit Lincoln, NIU won, D'oh!

Your suggestion may seem ridiculous, on its face, but you may be on to something. I've advocated for years that Duke (and, I'm sure, many other schools) need to be much more aggressive and creative in TRYING to get more bodies in the stands for most of its home games. From what I can see on TV, the attendance at most home games is pathetic and I truly feel sorry for the coaching staff and the players (all the more reason to admire Cut for remaining at Duke when he could be coaching at a school that has much more fan support for its football team). I think Duke should be giving out free tickets (to most of the home games) to all university employees; free tickets to all kids under the age of 18 in Durham; discounted tickets to parents and others who bring their kids to the games; financial and other incentives (maybe drawings for restaurant gift certificates or on-campus eateries, etc) for students to attend games; free parking and reasonably-priced concessions, etc. No doubt Duke is fighting an uphill battle to fill the football stadium but I just wonder it it can't do better?

devildeac
08-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Your suggestion may seem ridiculous, on its face, but you may be on to something. I've advocated for years that Duke (and, I'm sure, many other schools) need to be much more aggressive and creative in TRYING to get more bodies in the stands for most of its home games. From what I can see on TV, the attendance at most home games is pathetic and I truly feel sorry for the coaching staff and the players (all the more reason to admire Cut for remaining at Duke when he could be coaching at a school that has much more fan support for its football team). I think Duke should be giving out free tickets (to most of the home games) to all university employees; free tickets to all kids under the age of 18 in Durham; discounted tickets to parents and others who bring their kids to the games; financial and other incentives (maybe drawings for restaurant gift certificates or on-campus eateries, etc) for students to attend games; free parking and reasonably-priced concessions, etc. No doubt Duke is fighting an uphill battle to fill the football stadium but I just wonder it it can't do better?

I'd add craft beer tastings before each home game with several different NC breweries each game, not just the locals, who are all quite good BTW. Heck, Hardywood Craft Ales and Ardent Brewing from Richmond VA and Westbrook Brewing from SC would also be invited. No one has asked my opinion however. :o:(:rolleyes:

budwom
08-30-2018, 04:52 PM
I've been offered a drink and a sandwich if I grace the Tower for a quarter tomorrow night. I'm thinking there may be a timeshare presentation involved, however.

That's funny...frankly I'd consider a timeshare in the Tower, some fractional deal would work for me....you might as well go since it's nice up there (sat there for one game) but better lock your checkbook in your car.

budwom
08-30-2018, 04:59 PM

I don't think it's 100% ridiculous either...this is what TV has brought us to. The bad attendance games you mention really are an embarrassment, but they are absolutely exacerbated by September noonish starts, which is why on another thread I didn't agree with Cut's mild lamentation on playing Friday nights. I saw some poorly attended games at WW last year, but the Miami night game was electric, it really was, even though we didn't play very well. The most realistic way out of this mess is to win more, and we get a dual benefit: 1) more fans will show up, though it takes time, and 2) we'll get better TV slots such as 3:30 which are more
tailgate friendly, or even the odd night game, even a Friday night game if I may be so bold....the bottom line is Duke has to make attending games more attractive than watching at home on the big TV, and that can be difficult.

sagegrouse
08-30-2018, 06:18 PM
I don't think it's 100% ridiculous either...this is what TV has brought us to. The bad attendance games you mention really are an embarrassment, but they are absolutely exacerbated by September noonish starts, which is why on another thread I didn't agree with Cut's mild lamentation on playing Friday nights. I saw some poorly attended games at WW last year, but the Miami night game was electric, it really was, even though we didn't play very well. The most realistic way out of this mess is to win more, and we get a dual benefit: 1) more fans will show up, though it takes time, and 2) we'll get better TV slots such as 3:30 which are more
tailgate friendly, or even the odd night game, even a Friday night game if I may be so bold...the bottom line is Duke has to make attending games more attractive than watching at home on the big TV, and that can be difficult.

I know you won't believe this, BudWom, but there are people we both know who watch games on "the big TV" from the Card parking lot.

jimsumner
08-30-2018, 07:04 PM
Duke regularly has offers to school employees that essentially amount to giving away tickets and they have difficulty even doing that.

This is a problem that is spreading across the sports world, different sports, different levels. It's so easy to sit at home and switch between a half-dozen games, while monitoring even more on your laptop, while getting your fantasy updates. Going to games in person, with traffic and parking and heat and rain over-priced food? Why bother?

devildeac
08-30-2018, 08:26 PM
I know you won't believe this, BudWom, but there are people we both know who watch games on "the big TV" from the Card parking lot.

Never!

(I know them, too.;))

OldPhiKap
08-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Never!

(I know them, too.;))

At least, since they stopped letting folks leave at halftime and return for the third quarter.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-30-2018, 09:18 PM
Going to games in person, with traffic and parking and heat and rain over-priced food? Why bother?

To battle some of that, the Falcons have cut concession costs significantly.

Reilly
08-31-2018, 12:18 AM
... why on another thread I didn't agree with Cut's mild lamentation on playing Friday nights ...

I think we've let that go.

devildeac
08-31-2018, 07:26 AM
Luke DeCock from the N&O should be posting here, too:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article217368595.html

;)

OldPhiKap
08-31-2018, 07:29 AM

;)

“Duke’s window with this team may be shorter than usual, but it’s wide open.”

At least our ceiling is not the floor.

Indoor66
08-31-2018, 07:56 AM

Maybe the ceiling is the window? Or is that the floor is the window? I get sooooooo confused. Ask a Hole - they know about these things.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-31-2018, 08:30 AM

;)

I email back and forth some with him.....more on the Hurricanes than Duke...but I'll shoot him an email with an invite.

devildeac
08-31-2018, 09:31 AM

At least we don't have a "lid" to put on it.

"What's that you say?"

(Go Bears!)

devildeac
08-31-2018, 09:33 AM
I email back and forth some with him....more on the Hurricanes than Duke...but I'll shoot him an email with an invite.

That'd be great. He's been pretty rough on the 'Canes in the off-season and almost all deserved.

Bob Green
08-31-2018, 11:08 AM
I email back and forth some with him....more on the Hurricanes than Duke...but I'll shoot him an email with an invite.

DeCock covers Miami? :rolleyes:

elvis14
08-31-2018, 11:08 AM

Good luck ;)

That is the strangest typo. In that last statement PackMan97 managed to misspell the word Clemson completely as 'State'. Weird.

OldPhiKap
08-31-2018, 11:21 AM
That is the strangest typo. In that last statement PackMan97 managed to misspell the word Clemson completely as 'State'. Weird.

Maybe he meant "Upstate"

PackMan97
08-31-2018, 11:40 AM
Maybe he meant "Upstate"

Upstate is actually one of my favorite places. Once Amazon's HQ2 picks Raleigh, I plan on waiting a few years for property values to go crazy, sell my current house for $3 gazillion dollars and move to the Upstate, maybe someplace around Travellers Rest and retire.

I did after all grow up a Clemson fan and learned hating Carolina was one of my earliest memories. Of course, the people up here in the North State call them the Tarheels instead of Gamecocks, but it really doesn't matter.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-31-2018, 12:33 PM
Upstate is actually one of my favorite places. Once Amazon's HQ2 picks Raleigh, I plan on waiting a few years for property values to go crazy, sell my current house for $3 gazillion dollars and move to the Upstate, maybe someplace around Travellers Rest and retire.

I did after all grow up a Clemson fan and learned hating Carolina was one of my earliest memories. Of course, the people up here in the North State call them the Tarheels instead of Gamecocks, but it really doesn't matter.

There's quite tasty brews just an hour north of Travelers Rest.

devildeac
08-31-2018, 12:41 PM
I'll go with 8-4 with losses to Clemson, Miami, VT (we've found a lot of ways to lose to them the last few years:mad: ) and 1 other when some sorry-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. excuse for an acc ref screws us out of an interception/blocks in the back/knee down or ignores an obvious PI call or three as we drive for the go ahead/winning TD like the @#$% crew in the Pitt game last year.

Then, we'll win our bowl game.

Acymetric
08-31-2018, 12:42 PM
Kind of amazing that Northwestern put up 31 points in the first half, and a donut in the second.

BandAlum83
08-31-2018, 01:50 PM
We sure seemed to be half the crowd there. What a remarkable night.

Damn you, Johnny Football!!!

BandAlum83
08-31-2018, 01:52 PM

You mean Atlanta, of course.

elvis14
08-31-2018, 01:54 PM

When I moved from SC to NC, I had a hard time figuring out why everyone was talking about 'Carolina'. Took me years to not have to translate. My family is in Greenwood, SC about an hour and a half from Travelers Rest.

Go to he11 Carolina, go to he11 works in either state for me as well.

DU82
08-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Getting my prediction in before the game starts tonight, we’re going 14-0. It would be 15-0, but in spite of an ACC championship win over BC, the committee still slights us, and puts two B1G teams in, who immediately lose to Alabama and TCU. But we’ll get our revenge next August in Atlanta.

Mike Corey
08-31-2018, 03:41 PM
Getting my prediction in before the game starts tonight, we’re going 14-0. It would be 15-0, but in spite of an ACC championship win over BC, the committee still slights us, and puts two B1G teams in, who immediately lose to Alabama and TCU. But we’ll get our revenge next August in Atlanta.

This is hysterical.

Also: HQ2 for Amazon is going to the D.C. area (Virginia) or Toronto, IMO.

But I do think Apple's equivalent "HQ2" will be heading to Raleigh...

DU82
08-31-2018, 04:43 PM
This is hysterical.

Why, you don’t think Alabama’s going to make the playoffs?

Forgot to add that like UCF last year, we’ll be number one in at least one championship poll/rating. So we’ll be able to add a second football championship to our list, next to the 1936 Berryman championship.

(The Berryman championship is real, and listed in the 2018 NCAA record book. At least, it’s as legit as various bakery retro championships.)

gep
09-05-2018, 10:42 PM
I don't think this was mentioned yet(?) I was looking at the football schedule on goduke.com. The unc game is "Teacher Appreciation Day". :cool:

Acymetric
09-06-2018, 12:20 AM
I don't think this was mentioned yet(?) I was looking at the football schedule on goduke.com. The unc game is "Teacher Appreciation Day". :cool:

Are tutors invited?

Indoor66
09-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Are tutors invited?

Yes, along with grade forgers.

Acymetric
09-06-2018, 08:44 AM
Yes, along with grade forgers.

I assume "Department Chair and Administrative Assistant" appreciation gets its own day.

But won't someone think of the dentists, and whatever Fatz was (sleaze connoisseur, perhaps)? Surely they should all be celebrated equally. I'm not sure we have enough days for unc's multifaceted approach to "academic" excellence. At the very least we need to get Marvin Austin a statue.

Indoor66
09-06-2018, 08:52 AM
I assume "Department Chair and Administrative Assistant" appreciation gets its own day.

But won't someone think of the dentists, and whatever Fatz was (sleaze connoisseur, perhaps)? Surely they should all be celebrated equally. I'm not sure we have enough days for unc's multifaceted approach to "academic" excellence. At the very least we need to get Marvin Austin a statue.

Fats day is for the celebration of guns and goodies.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-06-2018, 11:54 AM
I am finally comfortable predicting that Duke will beat Army.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-06-2018, 02:02 PM
I am finally comfortable predicting that Duke will beat Army.

...I'm finally comfortable predicting Duke will win their first bowl game in forever....against Indiana...

fuse
12-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Back to the top ahead of the bowl game.