PDA

View Full Version : Junior Iron Dukes

kshepinthehouse
08-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Does anyone know much about the Junior Iron Dukes? I recently signed up as an Iron Duke and was wondering if it would be advantageous to enroll my one year old in the Junior Iron Duke program.

devilish
08-20-2018, 06:00 AM
I have been told that the child would receive “credit” toward membership in the Iron Dukes. Now, what exactly that means, I’m not sure. Is it credit for dollars given toward their lifetime total? Or is it a years of giving credit? Or both? And what will will this do for them in terms of ranking in the Iron Dukes? In other words, will it help them purchase basketball season tickets one day, should they be fortunate enough to afford them?

Probably not. So, the real reason to do it is for the swag that comes along with it... The t-shirt that won’t fit, the subscription to goduke magazine that they can’t read yet, and the free admittance into most regular season home tennis matches.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-20-2018, 10:17 AM
I have been told that the child would receive “credit” toward membership in the Iron Dukes. Now, what exactly that means, I’m not sure. Is it credit for dollars given toward their lifetime total? Or is it a years of giving credit? Or both? And what will will this do for them in terms of ranking in the Iron Dukes? In other words, will it help them purchase basketball season tickets one day, should they be fortunate enough to afford them?

Probably not. So, the real reason to do it is for the swag that comes along with it... The t-shirt that won’t fit, the subscription to goduke magazine that they can’t read yet, and the free admittance into most regular season home tennis matches.
A quick call to the Iron Dukes office could provide answers to all your questions.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-20-2018, 10:31 AM
A quick call to the Iron Dukes office could provide answers to all your questions.

Quick Google search provided this info:

For 8th graders and younger

Join the hottest fan club in the Atlantic Coast Conference
As a member of the Junior Iron Dukes, you get an up-close, personal view of Duke Athletics, including information about the players, coaches and special events. Don’t miss out on the great benefits available to Junior Iron Dukes Members. Children 8th grade and younger can join today! The Junior Iron Dukes is brought to you by the Durham Coca-Cola Bottling Company and Jimmy Johns Gourmet Sandwiches.

Junior Iron Dukes Benefits

Junior Iron Dukes T-shirt
Junior Iron Dukes Membership Card
Quarterly Newsletter
Free admission with membership card to all home regular season Olympic Sporting events
Free admission with membership card to selected football and women's basketball games
Special invitations and exclusive offers!

budwom
08-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Conditioning your young one to have money periodically extricated from him or her by Duke is an important life skill.

kshepinthehouse
08-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Thanks haha. That was my biggest question, and I should have been more specific. I didn’t understand the points system and how they would benefit him.

CDu
08-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Thanks haha. That was my biggest question, and I should have been more specific. I didn’t understand the points system and how they would benefit him.

There are levels of Iron Dukes status. Levels 5 and above have annual and cumulative thresholds. So presumably the contributions to the Junior Iron Dukes count towards the cumulative totals.

That being said, the level 5 cumulative threshold is currently $40,000. So 20 years of $50 contributions is not really putting a meaningful dent. For all practical purposes, it's a drop in the bucket and essentially a nominal benefit. For reference, the annual contribution to be a level 5 Iron Duke is just $250. Level 5 is basically the lowest tier that gets any value (essentially just access to football parking pass).

The real "value" is having your kid feel like a part of something. Whether or not that (plus the swag) is worth the $50 annually is up to you. But it isn't really going to help get up the Iron Dukes ladder.

duke79
08-20-2018, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know much about the Junior Iron Dukes? I recently signed up as an Iron Duke and was wondering if it would be advantageous to enroll my one year old in the Junior Iron Duke program.

I honestly thought this thread was a joke when I first read it or maybe an early April Fool's effort. I guess I was wrong.

Conditioning your young one to have money periodically extricated from him or her by Duke is an important life skill.

LOL, so true. What's next......the "In Utero" Iron Duke Club??

weezie
08-20-2018, 11:34 PM
I honestly thought this thread was a joke when I first read it or maybe an early April Fool's effort. I guess I was wrong.

LOL, so true. What's next...the "In Utero" Iron Duke Club??

Well ok. But it won't get Junior in without the SAT scorest.

budwom
08-21-2018, 07:42 AM

LOL, so true. What's next...the "In Utero" Iron Duke Club??

Duke fundraising never stops...the one thing I laugh about is the Annual Fund. I can send them a check in any given month, and a month or two later they hit be again with another Annual Fund solicitation, seems like about eight per year...maybe it should be renamed the Monthly Fund?

UrinalCake
08-21-2018, 09:00 AM
There used to be a program called the Junior Blue Devils - is this the same thing?

Indoor66
08-21-2018, 10:11 AM
There used to be a program called the Junior Blue Devils - is this the same thing?

Isn't that the designation for 3rd year undergrads? :p

duke79
08-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Well ok. But it won't get Junior in without the SAT scorest.

LOL, yea, I'm guessing a $50 annual contribution for your child to the "Junior Iron Dukes" will NOT help very much in the admissions process when they're 17 or 18 and applying to Duke!

CrazyNotCrazie
08-21-2018, 11:44 AM
LOL, yea, I'm guessing a $50 annual contribution for your child to the "Junior Iron Dukes" will NOT help very much in the admissions process when they're 17 or 18 and applying to Duke!

Correct, though I'm sure that admissions reads dozens of essays every year that start with "I knew I wanted to go to Duke when my parents signed me up for the Junior Iron Dukes when I was 4 years old." Unless the parents also included a check with a lot more zeros at the end with the $50 to Junior Iron Dukes, it isn't going to help much. Or if the child developed a 40 inch vertical or can now run a 4.3 40.