PDA

View Full Version : JJ reports possible case of human trafficking to authorities

CameronBlue
08-17-2018, 12:46 AM
In what is one of the more bizarre stories of a noteworthy news day, JJ Redick reported on his podcast, that he witnessed a possible case of human trafficking--possibly a woman, caged and being transported in the trunk of a taxi in which, he, his wife and sister-in-law were riding. Scores of stories on the interwebs about it. Here's a link and a quotation from Deadspin's writeup https://deadspin.com/j-j-redick-says-he-discovered-a-caged-person-in-his-ta-1828402568.

It’s the—no, this is not funny. There’s a back of a female’s head. She’s—blonde hair, there’s a ponytail, and based on the size of the box or cage that this person is in, it’s like either, like a very small human, or a child. And I’m like—we all saw it, right?

So he drives off, and then Kylee, now at this point, is like, “Are you sure? Was that a dog? Was that a dog with a very furry tail?”

And she’s like, “No. The reason I said there was a person is because I saw movement in my peripheral—out of my right eye. So I turned around, and the blanket was moving. So when I looked back, half of a human face came out of the blanket. I saw a woman’s eyes, woman’s face, woman’s blonde hair.”

Being the Dad of a working actress who spends a lot of time on the boards off-Broadway and off^2 Broadway this is a frequent nightmare of mine.

Billy Dat
08-17-2018, 10:15 AM
This story is WAY sketchy. I hope it was just the limo driver's friend trying to get a free ride somewhere.

left_hook_lacey
08-17-2018, 10:33 AM
In what is one of the more bizarre stories of a noteworthy news day, JJ Redick reported on his podcast, that he witnessed a possible case of human trafficking--possibly a woman, caged and being transported in the trunk of a taxi in which, he, his wife and sister-in-law were riding. Scores of stories on the interwebs about it. Here's a link and a quotation from Deadspin's writeup https://deadspin.com/j-j-redick-says-he-discovered-a-caged-person-in-his-ta-1828402568.

It’s the—no, this is not funny. There’s a back of a female’s head. She’s—blonde hair, there’s a ponytail, and based on the size of the box or cage that this person is in, it’s like either, like a very small human, or a child. And I’m like—we all saw it, right?

So he drives off, and then Kylee, now at this point, is like, “Are you sure? Was that a dog? Was that a dog with a very furry tail?”

And she’s like, “No. The reason I said there was a person is because I saw movement in my peripheral—out of my right eye. So I turned around, and the blanket was moving. So when I looked back, half of a human face came out of the blanket. I saw a woman’s eyes, woman’s face, woman’s blonde hair.”

Being the Dad of a working actress who spends a lot of time on the boards off-Broadway and off^2 Broadway this is a frequent nightmare of mine.

Could have been some sort of weird domination fetish. It is New York after all. I guess that theory would really depend on the age of the girl. And how do you see into the trunk of a taxi? This just a bizarre story.

But I find it hard to believe that it was a case of human trafficking given that the driver was not very concerned about paying customers being able to see the cargo.

BLPOG
08-17-2018, 10:47 AM
Could have been some sort of weird domination fetish. It is New York after all. I guess that theory would really depend on the age of the girl. And how do you see into the trunk of a taxi? This just a bizarre story.

But I find it hard to believe that it was a case of human trafficking given that the driver was not very concerned about paying customers being able to see the cargo.

Maybe it was an SUV or a van, with rear seats removed or collapsed? Before checking the Deadspin article, my guess would have been the cab driver had his kid sleeping in the trunk. I've read several accounts of attempted-good Samaritans reporting/accosting people for fear of human trafficking in the last few years, and invariably it's just some ordinary parent and child and the whole incident is borne of hysteria. It's become something of a routine news story on domestic plane flights.

After reading the article though...something mighty shady was going on. Good on Redick for reporting it.

JetpackJesus
08-17-2018, 03:43 PM

It was a Cadillac Escalade. Also, it sounds like the crate with the woman in it was in the last row of the cabin, not in the trunk. JJ and his family had put their bags in the trunk (JJ said he noticed an unusual smell at the time but thought nothing of it). During the ride, the blanket covering the crate moved and JJ's sister-in-law saw a female's face inside the crate. She told JJ, and he asked the driver to pull over, so they could get their stuff out of the trunk. JJ also challenged the driver about something being in the back. After they had gotten their stuff, the driver went to the back and lifted the blanket toward them in such a way that they could not see the crate. He then said there was nothing there. As the driver returned to the front, JJ saw the back of a female's head pop up. She was blonde with a ponytail. The driver proceeded to drive off.

I think this SI story (https://www.si.com/nba/2018/08/16/jj-redick-caged-person-car-service-ride-story) has a lot of details missing from the Deadspin story.

It is a bizarre story.

UrinalCake
08-17-2018, 03:55 PM
Such a weird story. It didn't sound like the girls was in distress. And you would think that if the driver was actually trafficking humans then he wouldn't be picking up other passengers and driving them around in the same car. I honestly don't know what I would do if I were in that situation. I would want to report it obviously, and part of me wouldn't want to let the driver drive away but I guess another part of me would be fearful for my own safety because who knows what kind of person you're dealing with.

The deadspin story makes it sound like Redick was recounting this story to Mohamed Bamba prior to interviewing him, and Bamba didn't really know how to react to it. Like he would laugh at times, not because it was funny but because he didn't know how to respond.

cato
08-17-2018, 08:07 PM
And you would think that if the driver was actually trafficking humans then . . .

This is when I stopped reading your post. If someone is trafficking humans, I am not going to make any assumptions about what they would do.

JetpackJesus
08-17-2018, 09:12 PM
Such a weird story. It didn't sound like the girls was in distress. And you would think that if the driver was actually trafficking humans then he wouldn't be picking up other passengers and driving them around in the same car. I honestly don't know what I would do if I were in that situation. I would want to report it obviously, and part of me wouldn't want to let the driver drive away but I guess another part of me would be fearful for my own safety because who knows what kind of person you're dealing with.

The deadspin story makes it sound like Redick was recounting this story to Mohamed Bamba prior to interviewing him, and Bamba didn't really know how to react to it. Like he would laugh at times, not because it was funny but because he didn't know how to respond.

The bold is a big assumption to make. He could've told her that if she makes a sound he will harm her. Perhaps he has a family member or friend and he threatened to harm them if she makes a sound. She could have been drugged and barely conscious or aware of what's happening around her. I don't know if any of those things are true, but there are so many possibilities that I wouldn't want to assume anything about this strange situation JJ found himself in.

Though I will say that the least-bad explanation for this whole story--it was a friend of the driver looking for a free ride across town by crawling into a crate and being covered by a blanket in the back of his SUV--is probably the most nonsensical explanation.

Indoor66
08-18-2018, 07:26 AM
Though I will say that the least-bad explanation for this whole story--it was a friend of the driver looking for a free ride across town by crawling into a crate and being covered by a blanket in the back of his SUV--is probably the most nonsensical explanation.

Why?

budwom
08-18-2018, 07:37 AM
my pure guess is it's an absurd form of babysitting, don't try this at home, folks?

YmoBeThere
08-18-2018, 01:49 PM
my pure guess is it's an absurd form of babysitting, don't try this at home, folks?

Too soon...