PDA

View Full Version : State Farm Champions Classic 2018

907bluedevils
08-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Any word on when tickets will be up for sale? Any Duke supporter gatherings planned in Indy before the game? Debating on heading down for the season opener.

duke2x
08-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Duke may or may not have a sale for Iron Dukes and/or the general public on GoDuke.com. I think they usually do.

There's nothing yet on the arena website through Ticketmaster, but you can sign up for alerts. Don't rely on this method at all. It's a UK home game in a NBA arena. When UK lost to WVU in 2010, tickets for the Final 4 were $250. When UK was in Indy in 2015, tickets were $2,500 each. After UK lost to WI, tickets were $250 again. I couldn't swing 2015 due to work that week, but I thought about it with the price drop. (2010 was already planned before UK lost.)

mgtr
08-14-2018, 11:56 PM
Duke needs a plan to comprehensively mop the floor with UK, putting an end to their overreaching aspirations. I am uncertain what that plan would entail.

DU82
08-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Tickets are available for Iron Dukes. Sign up with the iron Dukes and order tickets in the Duke section of the arena (and no, that section has not been identified yet.)

Troublemaker
08-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Duke needs a plan to comprehensively mop the floor with UK, putting an end to their overreaching aspirations. I am uncertain what that plan would entail.

That's going be tough as both teams should be of top-5 quality this season.

IF we somehow end up mopping the floor with them, it'll probably involve extensive usage of the Death Lineup with Zion at the 5. It could trick Kentucky into posting up Nick Richards and PJ Washington on one end of the floor while Duke plays 5-out spread pick-n-roll on the other end to take advantage of no-handchecking and freedom of movement rules. Zion as a roller has tremendously exciting lob-dunk possibilities, to boot.

kAzE
08-15-2018, 11:35 AM
I heard general admission tickets will be available in early October. I plan on going to the event if I'm able to snag a couple of tickets when they are up for sale.

907bluedevils
08-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Any idea of what ticket prices will look for this?

hallcity
08-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Any idea of what ticket prices will look for this?

They're listed as $97 each on Goduke.com but they're only on sale to Iron Dukes now.

Kimist
08-15-2018, 08:22 PM
They're listed as $97 each on Goduke.com but they're only on sale to Iron Dukes now.

The maximum number of tickets Iron Dukes members can buy is limited to ten, currently priced at $97+$2 each. That is the default "upper balcony" (no location) price. Depending on your standing with the Iron Dukes, the seat location (and price) will likely be automatically upgraded at a later time.

I would suggest checking with the Duke ticket office about getting "public" tickets through them, whenever they do become available. They might already have some kind of "waiting list" set up ?? In any case, the prices and/or the seat locations may be better than trying to buy through the Bankers Life Fieldhouse website.

It should be noted there are two basketball games for the November 6th Champions Classic: Duke vs Kentucky and Kansas vs Michigan State.

k

BD80
08-15-2018, 08:28 PM
The maximum number of tickets Iron Dukes members can buy is limited to ten, currently priced at $97+$2 each. That is the default "upper balcony" (no location) price. Depending on your standing with the Iron Dukes, the seat location (and price) will likely be automatically upgraded at a later time.

I would suggest checking with the Duke ticket office about getting "public" tickets through them, whenever they do become available. They might already have some kind of "waiting list" set up ?? In any case, the prices and/or the seat locations may be better than trying to buy through the Bankers Life Fieldhouse website.

It should be noted there are two basketball games for the November 6th Champions Classic: Duke vs Kentucky and Kansas vs Michigan State.

k

Are tickets good for both games?

I might be able to get MSU tickets

Pghdukie
08-15-2018, 08:52 PM
The price of a ticket for the Kentucky game just increased 200%.

thedukelamere
08-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Are tickets good for both games?

I might be able to get MSU tickets

Assuming they haven't changed anything for this year (I've been to the 3 Chicago and 1 Indy Classics), the tickets will be good for both games.

Truth&Justise
08-16-2018, 10:46 AM

IF we somehow end up mopping the floor with them, it'll probably involve extensive usage of the Death Lineup with Zion at the 5. It could trick Kentucky into posting up Nick Richards and PJ Washington on one end of the floor while Duke plays 5-out spread pick-n-roll on the other end to take advantage of no-handchecking and freedom of movement rules. Zion as a roller has tremendously exciting lob-dunk possibilities, to boot.

That strategy makes a lot of sense to me, but I wonder if for the first game of the season it's more valuable to try playing our regular rotation. We need our main players to get reps together, to learn what works and what doesn't work, and to start to carve out roles within the team. This is a valuable early crucible to do that.

Essentially, I think there's some value in taking the long term approach, even if that's not what gives us the greatest chance of winning that one game. Save that gambit as a change-of-pace play for March.

WVDUKEFAN
08-16-2018, 11:26 AM

You are absolutely correct. Kentucky is DEEP this year. I read something about seven guys averaging 10 pts/game. As great as RJ and Zion played, I can't wait to see Jones run the point.

kAzE
08-16-2018, 11:55 AM
That strategy makes a lot of sense to me, but I wonder if for the first game of the season it's more valuable to try playing our regular rotation. We need our main players to get reps together, to learn what works and what doesn't work, and to start to carve out roles within the team. This is a valuable early crucible to do that.

Essentially, I think there's some value in taking the long term approach, even if that's not what gives us the greatest chance of winning that one game. Save that gambit as a change-of-pace play for March.

Nah, no way . . . . this is UK and Duke, and this is Coach K we're talking about. He doesn't give a crap about anything except winning the game we are playing. But since this is Kentucky, I think there's even more incentive to win. You don't think he hears the shade Calipari throws at him in every interview? I guarantee you Coach K wants to destroy Kentucky. Every recruit is watching this game. Coach K will want to prove Duke is the best.

And besides, just because we play a certain lineup doesn't mean people will take the tape of that and figure out a way to beat it. NBA teams still don't have an answer for the Golden State death lineup and it's been 5 years since they started doing it. Nobody has ever seen a player like Zion. People will try to figure out ways to slow him down, but he's so versatile and has so many facets to his game, there's not going to be some easy solution to stop him.

This isn't like college football with trick plays that can be only used once.

kshepinthehouse
08-16-2018, 02:47 PM
These aren’t even on stubhub yet, are they?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-16-2018, 03:12 PM
These aren’t even on stubhub yet, are they?

Stubhub is after market, so they will be behind everyone else.

kshepinthehouse
08-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Stubhub is after market, so they will be behind everyone else.

How much will these tickets be if we’re unable to get them through Iron dukes?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-16-2018, 09:35 PM
How much will these tickets be if we’re unable to get them through Iron dukes?

On stubhub? Whatever the market will bear...

duke96
08-16-2018, 11:20 PM
On stubhub? Whatever the market will bear...

(Plus a massive fee!)

kAzE
09-24-2018, 12:17 PM
So, tickets for the event have gone on sale . . . . but they are INSANELY expensive, like $600 PER ticket even in the upper levels.

I haven't gone to a Champions Classic yet, but is this the norm? How much lower do the prices drop in the secondary market? Although I would want to watch both games, how hard would it be to sell my seats for the KU/MSU game, if I go that route?

I really want to go, but $1200 (I need 2 tix) is just a tad outside of my budget . . . I was hoping I could get decent seats for $300 per.

duke2x
09-24-2018, 12:23 PM
So, Tickets for the event have gone on sale . . . . but they are INSANELY expensive, like $600 PER ticket even in the upper levels.

I haven't gone to a Champions Classic yet, but is this the norm? How much lower do the prices drop in the secondary market? Although I would want to watch both game, how hard is it to sell my seats for the KU/MSU game, if I go that route?

I really want to go, but $1200 (I need 2 tix) is a bit out of my budget . . .

They probably won't drop. Indy is UK's answer to MSG. They could sell out Lucas Oil with this one, and I think this game is only in the Pacers arena.

It's a doubleheader. If you sell your ticket, you won't go to either game.

Save your money for the other city ending in -polis. :p

UrinalCake
09-24-2018, 01:08 PM
Good grief, I can pay less for tickets to Hamilton!

NSDukeFan
09-24-2018, 01:11 PM

To see the play or to fly to Ontario or Bermuda?

devildeac
09-24-2018, 01:11 PM

Not necessarily...

:(

sagegrouse
09-24-2018, 01:30 PM
They probably won't drop. Indy is UK's answer to MSG. They could sell out Lucas Oil with this one, and I think this game is only in the Pacers arena.

It's a doubleheader. If you sell your ticket, you won't go to either game.

Save your money for the other city ending in -polis. :p

It was sweet seeing Indy empty out after the National Semifinals in 2015, as the Wildcat fans headed back to Kentucky. The vendors loaded all the remaining Kentucky merchandise into one downtown store and cut the prices by 50-75 percent, IIRC (and there is always a first time).

907bluedevils
09-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Where are you seeing the tickets for sale? For some reason i can't find them.

Tripping William
09-24-2018, 01:35 PM
To see the play or to fly to Ontario or Bermuda?

New Zealand.

Natty_B
09-24-2018, 01:44 PM
So, tickets for the event have gone on sale . . . . but they are INSANELY expensive, like $600 PER ticket even in the upper levels.

I haven't gone to a Champions Classic yet, but is this the norm? How much lower do the prices drop in the secondary market? Although I would want to watch both games, how hard would it be to sell my seats for the KU/MSU game, if I go that route?

I really want to go, but $1200 (I need 2 tix) is just a tad outside of my budget . . . I was hoping I could get decent seats for $300 per.

Basically yes. These tickets are always impossible to get and usually given just to boosters. In 2015 (so many Duke players ago) the price dropped two weeks before the game and then went back up the week before.

I think I've posted this already but after the '98 Elite 8 (twenty years ago now but still so fresh) I took a solemn oath I would never go to a Duke-Kentucky game again. UK fans are just that obnoxious and numerous. With a no. 1 ranking they promise to be at peak insufferable for this game.

kAzE
09-24-2018, 02:22 PM
Basically yes. These tickets are always impossible to get and usually given just to boosters. In 2015 (so many Duke players ago) the price dropped two weeks before the game and then went back up the week before.

I think I've posted this already but after the '98 Elite 8 (twenty years ago now but still so fresh) I took a solemn oath I would never go to a Duke-Kentucky game again. UK fans are just that obnoxious and numerous. With a no. 1 ranking they promise to be at peak insufferable for this game.

Well, that sucks. I really wanted to be there to gloat in front of the UK fans when Zion dunks their hopes dreams into the gutter, but I guess I'll have to "settle" for watching the Blue Devils in the NCAA tournament, wherever that takes us . . .

I grew up in Lexington, KY (moved there from Durham), so I understand what you mean 100%. The Monday after the 1998 loss was probably the worst day of school ever. I tried really hard to convince my mom that I was sick that morning . . . .

UrinalCake
10-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Tickets are available on GoDuke.com. Wish I could go :(

link (https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTickets.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_mode_=EVENT&SALE_TKT_EVENT_ID=1045251&SALE_TKT_PERFORMER_ID=79576&SALE_TKT_SALE_CATEGORIES_ID=77336&stage=seat_reservation)

kAzE
10-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Tickets are available on GoDuke.com. Wish I could go :(

link (https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTickets.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_mode_=EVENT&SALE_TKT_EVENT_ID=1045251&SALE_TKT_PERFORMER_ID=79576&SALE_TKT_SALE_CATEGORIES_ID=77336&stage=seat_reservation)

Thanks for the link!!! For $97 a pop, I'm totally going, and I'll cheer hard enough for all of us :D

BigWayne
10-03-2018, 12:06 PM

Where are you seeing them onsale? Ticket broker sites? The ticketmaster page (https://www1.ticketmaster.com/state-farm-champions-classic-indianapolis-indiana-11-06-2018/event/05005446F2686628?artistid=1797041&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7) linked from the homepage article (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/1/17926414/hey-duke-fans-lets-have-some-fun-with-bbn) shows a countdown clock to next Monday with a price range of $67-$652.

BTW - the goduke.com link is for the Duke allotted tickets and is not a guarantee you get the tickets as they get doled out in order of Iron Duke status.

kAzE
10-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Where are you seeing them onsale? Ticket broker sites? The ticketmaster page (https://www1.ticketmaster.com/state-farm-champions-classic-indianapolis-indiana-11-06-2018/event/05005446F2686628?artistid=1797041&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7) linked from the homepage article (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/10/1/17926414/hey-duke-fans-lets-have-some-fun-with-bbn) shows a countdown clock to next Monday with a price range of $67-$652.

BTW - the goduke.com link is for the Duke allotted tickets and is not a guarantee you get the tickets as they get doled out in order of Iron Duke status.

Oh . . . . dammit. So I probably won't get them . . . will they at least refund me?

I saw tickets here on Vivid Seats: https://www.vividseats.com/ncaab/kentucky-wildcats-tickets/kentucky-11-6-2794547.html

They are still on sale.

kAzE
10-03-2018, 01:06 PM

So, the confirmation email reads as follows:

"Thank you for purchasing tickets for Duke Men's Basketball vs. Kentucky to be played at Banker's Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, IN on Tuesday, November 6th!

All ticket orders will be filled based on Iron Duke Priority. Tickets will be mailed approximately 3 weeks prior to the game. If tickets need to be upgraded due to Iron Duke priority, you will be notified and the balance will be applied to your credit card.

No Refunds No Exchanges"

So . . . that's pretty confusing. Would they seriously not guarantee tickets for a purchase with no refunds? That seems pretty unreasonable. I've already sent an email to their customer care asking for more clarification . . .

CrazyNotCrazie
10-03-2018, 01:36 PM
So, the confirmation email reads as follows:

"Thank you for purchasing tickets for Duke Men's Basketball vs. Kentucky to be played at Banker's Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, IN on Tuesday, November 6th!

All ticket orders will be filled based on Iron Duke Priority. Tickets will be mailed approximately 3 weeks prior to the game. If tickets need to be upgraded due to Iron Duke priority, you will be notified and the balance will be applied to your credit card.

No Refunds No Exchanges"

So . . . that's pretty confusing. Would they seriously not guarantee tickets for a purchase with no refunds? That seems pretty unreasonable. I've already sent an email to their customer care asking for more clarification . . .

Have they actually taken your money yet? I think what this means is that if you are chosen, you have to buy them, but if you are not chosen, you will not be billed. Unfortunately, not finding out until three weeks before the game whether you got tickets also makes it a lot harder to get tickets through other means.

Bluedog
10-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Note that stubhub, Vivid Seats, etc. put tickets on their site that they EXPECT to have, but don't actually have at the moment. They figure they can get them and turn them for a profit, which they always do because ticket prices go down once you get closer to the event date. Once people actually receive tickets, it's possible secondary market will shift although I expect it will still be very expensive given the location/fanbases. I went to Indy for the E8 game against Louisville and that was the most hostile environment I have ever been a part of...(was not in Duke fan section.)

Blue KevIL
10-03-2018, 03:25 PM
It was sweet seeing Indy empty out after the National Semifinals in 2015, as the Wildcat fans headed back to Kentucky. The vendors loaded all the remaining Kentucky merchandise into one downtown store and cut the prices by 50-75 percent, IIRC (and there is always a first time).

On Championship Monday 2015, I bought what I thought was a blue Duke Final Four T-Shirt from a merchandise stand inside the stadium.
It was wrapped up and I did not have a chance to open it up until I got home the next day in Chicago. Much to my dismay, I discovered it was a Kentucky T-Shirt instead.
I was ticked off about it until I realized I had a wonderful item commemorating Kentucky's 2015 Final Four Participation (and it's failure to win the National Championship).

Looking forward to Indy on 11/6.

madscavenger
10-04-2018, 06:52 AM
I got my tickets from Stubhub on September 18th, Section 212. $498 (for 2) plus the usual fee gouge. They'll be delivered via UPS by November 2nd. Can't remember where i heard it, but the 'Duke' Section is Section 6.

kAzE
10-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Have they actually taken your money yet? I think what this means is that if you are chosen, you have to buy them, but if you are not chosen, you will not be billed. Unfortunately, not finding out until three weeks before the game whether you got tickets also makes it a lot harder to get tickets through other means.

I think you're right. As of today, my card hasn't been charged, so for me, and anybody else who bought tickets through the GoDuke site, it's probably going to depend on whether or not they give you tickets. Hopefully they will notify us with enough time to make other plans.

BigWayne
10-04-2018, 08:03 PM
I think you're right. As of today, my card hasn't been charged, so for me, and anybody else who bought tickets through the GoDuke site, it's probably going to depend on whether or not they give you tickets. Hopefully they will notify us with enough time to make other plans.

You might be set. The link today is showing this game being limited to Iron Duke members. The link for the Texas Tech game looks like the UK one did yesterday where you can click through and select how many, etc. without logging in.

Probably you won't get charged until they get responses from Iron Duke members. If there aren't enough ID purchases to cover the lower level seats, then they might charge you more than the $97 price you saw.

BandAlum83
10-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Whether or not I have $1200 to spend on a basketball game isn't even the issue. It doesn't meet my budget due to the fact that it doesn't meet my value budget.

I will have a very comfortable and superior view in my media room. I may even start the game late to enable me to FF through the commercials. I hate waiting for the game to start again!

WeepingThomasHill
10-11-2018, 10:36 AM
What are folks hearing about the location of tickets for this game for Iron Dukes? Lower bowl?

Any local Indianapolis folks with recommendations for good sports bars or places to eat near the arena?

kAzE
10-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Whether or not I have $1200 to spend on a basketball game isn't even the issue. It doesn't meet my budget due to the fact that it doesn't meet my value budget.

I will have a very comfortable and superior view in my media room. I may even start the game late to enable me to FF through the commercials. I hate waiting for the game to start again!

But I'll be going with some of my best college friends, who I haven't seen in years, and we get to see Zion Williamson in person. I think that beats watching the game at home :)