PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Canada game times are incorrect on the front page article

scottdude8
08-13-2018, 03:07 PM
The Wednesday game is at 7 o'clock, the Friday is 6 o'clock... not the reverse as is listed in the front page article. I had a mild heart attack thinking I had my schedule screwed up for the games, haha. Not a huge deal but I'm sure others may be confused!

Mods, feel free to move/delete this post as necessary, but I figured people would want to see this and not have it get lost in the main Canada thread considering it has to do with a front page article.

NSDukeFan
08-13-2018, 03:59 PM
I believe the times are reversed when they get translated across the border.

Indoor66
08-13-2018, 04:07 PM

Is that like the cinder block issue when going from country to country?

Rich
08-13-2018, 04:24 PM

Is that like the cinder block issue when going from country to country?

Similar...the times in Canada are in metric. It might also have to do with the equator. Kinda like the thing with the direction the water goes down the sink.

weezie
08-13-2018, 04:27 PM
To our Canadian Devils, are there any places to eat near the arena on Wed and Fri night?

Rich
08-13-2018, 04:30 PM
To our Canadian Devils, are there any places to eat near the arena on Wed and Fri night?

I'm not a Canadian Devil, but I'll venture a guess...Yes!

devildeac
08-13-2018, 04:32 PM

Be sure you try something like this:

weezie
08-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Wow, you guys are sooooooo helpful! :cool:

TomJoad
08-13-2018, 05:27 PM

I live in Toronto but I only go to Mississauga to go to the airport, so I'm not going to be much help. There is a large mall about 6 km away (a ten minute drive) that will have the usual fast food options I'm sure. I'm told there other options in that area, but nothing specific. https://shopsquareone.com/

The only restaurant I've actually been to in Mississauga is also in that area, an Italian place called Ristorante Alioli http://www.alioli.com/ which was pretty good.

Indoor66
08-13-2018, 05:28 PM
Similar...the times in Canada are in metric. It might also have to do with the equator. Kinda like the thing with the direction the water goes down the sink.

Especially since it on the other side of the equator.😂

NSDukeFan
08-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Be sure you try something like this:

Trying to drum up business again, I see. (Of course, that is a solid recommendation, especially when in Quebec.)

BD80
08-13-2018, 07:56 PM

Played in a pickleball tournament today against a couple of Canadians. They had major back-ups crossing the border this morning. We speculated that there must be heightened military tensions.

Thus, I extrapolate that the reversed start times is a part of a misinformation campaign preluding military conflict.

Wonder how dem Canadians will feel when we ship a 271 lb weapon of mass destruction named Zion -full of hostile intentions - across the border?

1991 duke law
08-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Played in a pickleball tournament today against a couple of Canadians. They had major back-ups crossing the border this morning. We speculated that there must be heightened military tensions.

Thus, I extrapolate that the reversed start times is a part of a misinformation campaign preluding military conflict.

Wonder how dem Canadians will feel when we ship a 271 lb weapon of mass destruction named Zion -full of hostile intentions - across the border?

We have deployed our army at the border. If you see four men grinning, say hi. They are doing the best that they can with limited resources.

scottdude8
08-13-2018, 08:37 PM
We have deployed our army at the border. If you see four men grinning, say hi. They are doing the best that they can with limited resources.

Growing up imoutaide Detroit we’d get a couple radio stations with Canadian ads. Every time we heard one for the Canadian Armed Forces my Dad and I would joke, “I guess they need someone new to drive their one truck.” Said by a proud Canadian, haha.

weezie
08-14-2018, 07:53 AM
Growing up imoutaide Detroit we’d get a couple radio stations with Canadian ads. Every time we heard one for the Canadian Armed Forces my Dad and I would joke, “I guess they need someone new to drive their one truck.” Said by a proud Canadian, haha.

"CKLWwwwwww"

cbarry
08-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Also, it looks like hey haven’t corrected the sub-headline yet, but the story about the games this week has a sub-headline that says “Even without Jones and Barrett...”. WHAT?! Thankfully, Barrett is healthy. The sub-headline should say “Even without Jones and Reddish...”. The text has it right, but that subhead gave me a real scare. The Duke injury curse is real, but 2 top players out is enough. We don’t need 3 out!

budwom
08-14-2018, 11:11 AM
with the venues widely being listed wrong, why not go with incorrect times and rosters?

NSDukeFan
08-14-2018, 11:13 AM
with the venues widely being listed wrong, why not go with incorrect times and rosters?

I’m hoping the games will be in Atlantic Canada.

budwom
08-14-2018, 11:59 AM
just saw that a new and raw Vermont team beat McGill by 20 this weekend...don't expect much of a match in Laval..

budwom
08-14-2018, 12:45 PM
I’m hoping the games will be in Atlantic Canada.

Happy to report, NSDukeFan, that your people are meeting with my people in Vermont (Stowe, right around the corner from Womble Acres) right now.
Annual get together of New England governors and Eastern Canadian premiers, always a good time, though the last few years they've been burdened with
trying to tamp down some of the trade tomfoolery none of them wants any part of...most successful border in the world, period.

devildeac
08-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Happy to report, NSDukeFan, that your people are meeting with my people in Vermont (Stowe, right around the corner from Womble Acres) right now.
Annual get together of New England governors and Eastern Canadian premiers, always a good time, though the last few years they've been burdened with
trying to tamp down some of the trade tomfoolery none of them wants any part of...most successful border in the world, period.

Any "goods" being exchanged?

ohioguy2
08-14-2018, 01:40 PM

Pickleball! A sport that is taking up way too much of my life. I love it.

NSDukeFan
08-14-2018, 02:09 PM

I have never had a chance to try Heady Topper? or any of the Homestead? brews, so if you could get them to send a few of those as well as some Maine Brewing Company beers back, it would be appreciated. Hurry before there are any more tariffs.

budwom
08-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Any "goods" being exchanged?

Goodwill! Of which we could use a lot more.

budwom
08-14-2018, 02:23 PM
I have never had a chance to try Heady Topper? or any of the Homestead? brews, so if you could get them to send a few of those as well as some Maine Brewing Company beers back, it would be appreciated. Hurry before there are any more tariffs.

would gladly do so, but Heady is unpasteurized so it has to be kept cold (need Canadians travel with coolers or is the ambient temperature sufficient? ...ha, not this year) and Hills you have to get at the brewery or in local pubs...I would be happy to guide you to both should you ever visit down here...I recall the time some decades ago when we had to turn to Canada for heartier beers than our local Bud/Pabst/Miller/Schlitz stuff...Labatt 50, Molson Export, etc...

our posting pal Devildeac made the pilgrimage up from NC and got both the Heady and Hills, a fine trip he had.

devildeac
08-14-2018, 03:17 PM
would gladly do so, but Heady is unpasteurized so it has to be kept cold (need Canadians travel with coolers or is the ambient temperature sufficient? ...ha, not this year) and Hills you have to get at the brewery or in local pubs...I would be happy to guide you to both should you ever visit down here...I recall the time some decades ago when we had to turn to Canada for heartier beers than our local Bud/Pabst/Miller/Schlitz stuff...Labatt 50, Molson Export, etc...

our posting pal Devildeac made the pilgrimage up from NC and got both the Heady and Hills, a fine trip he had.

Along with Second Fiddle and some MBC brews, both on draft and bottled. Even better was the delight of walking 5-6 miles along Lake Champlain in the fog/light rain, followed by a wonderful lunch with budwom and the even more lovely and vivacious Mrs. budwom. A fine trip, indeed.

HateCarolina
08-14-2018, 07:17 PM

I am happy and excited to report that I am making my own pilgrimage up to Stowe this Thursday night with plans to swing by The Alchemist on Friday morning for a little tasting and lots of purchases. 🤗 Them I’m headed over to New Hampshire for my cousin’s wedding. Hoping I can get good Wi-Fi over there to watch Duke Friday night with my dad (Duke ‘69), Uncle (Cheating U ‘67) and other cousin (Cuse ‘14). Hoping to watch their jaws dropping with stellar performances from Zion, RJ and the rest of the team!!

NSDukeFan
08-14-2018, 08:48 PM

I also recall those days of laughing at the weak American beer. I was drinking more for quantity at that point in my life.