PDA

View Full Version : University of Maryland Football allegations

kshepinthehouse
08-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Looks like Maryland is still at it.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24342005/maryland-terrapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin

JetpackJesus
08-10-2018, 09:22 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24342005/maryland-terrapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin

No need for excess verbiage in the headline, ESPN. Here's my suggested revision: The Inside Story a Toxic Culture at Maryland Football

sagegrouse
08-10-2018, 11:36 PM
No need for excess verbiage in the headline, ESPN. Here's my suggested revision: The Inside Story a Toxic Culture at Maryland Football

The article is sickening in the extreme. I think Maryland coach Durkin is history. I mean, who the hell would ever sign up to play for him?

DukeandMdFan
08-11-2018, 12:04 AM

Terrible...

FWIW, I'm confident that Maryland will make changes to clean up the abuse even though it will cause the program to lose games and lose money.

Some coaches suspended, but they will clean house.

Less wins than UNC, Penn State, Michigan State, and Ohio State, but more integrity...

http://https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/maryland-football-athletic-staffers-placed-on-leave-amid-report-of-harmful-culture/

DukeandMdFan
08-11-2018, 12:18 AM
but more integrity...

Part of the reason Univ of Maryland addresses problems may be the presence of The Washington Post and other media in the DC area.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-places-athletic-staffers-on-leave-in-wake-of-football-players-death/2018/08/10/26012958-9ce9-11e8-843b-36e177f3081c_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c9701d87d5e1

sagegrouse
08-11-2018, 12:23 AM
Terrible...

FWIW, I'm confident that Maryland will make changes to clean up the abuse even though it will cause the program to lose games and lose money.

Some coaches suspended, but they will clean house.

Less wins than UNC, Penn State, Michigan State, and Ohio State, but more integrity...

[www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/maryland-football-athletic-staffers-placed-on-leave-amid-report-of-harmful-culture/"]http://https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/maryland-football-athletic-staffers-placed-on-leave-amid-report-of-harmful-culture/[/URL]

Go to www.cbssports.com --- story limk is in upper right as of mdinight EDT

kshepinthehouse
08-11-2018, 06:17 AM
I doubt this would ever happen but the story of the offesnvise lineman who died is so bad I would almost say someone neeeds to be indicted for his death. Truly sickening behavior from coaches and I can’t believe these guys think they can get away with this type of behavior in the year 2018.

One of the former staff members said they would never, ever, ever send their son to play for this coach.

DukieInKansas
08-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Those are some extremely scary and sad allegations.

budwom
08-11-2018, 10:34 AM
The University of Maryland, home of bad athletic decisions. Never seems to change.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Wow. Really scary stuff

Wander
08-11-2018, 10:52 AM
College football coaches have to be the biggest fake macho dbags of all professions. Look at the comments this summer by the UNC and Michigan coaches too. We're lucky to have one of the good guys.

sagegrouse
08-11-2018, 12:51 PM
College football coaches have to be the biggest fake macho dbags of all professions. Look at the comments this summer by the UNC and Michigan coaches too. We're lucky to have one of the good guys.

Moreover, according to sources quoted in the WaPo article, there's a 100 percent cure for heat stroke. Immerse in ice and water until the body temperature cools to below 104 degrees. This was almost certainly not done, as the patient presented to the hospital with a temperature of 106 degrees. There is also a somewhat disputed delay between the seizure and the first 911 call. The head trainer was reportedly present at the voluntary workout.

One of my kids, as an infant, regularly developed high fevers. oN her doctor's recommendation, we used the ice and water method, wrapping her in a towel, whenever her temperature reached 103. Was very effective. In fact, her body temperature would cause the towel to heat up, even in the presence of the ice water. Other pediatricians recommended cold baths, but the ice water was tried-and-true.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Watch season 3 of Last Chance U........it will validate your comments. (I have not seen seasons 1 and 2, which was a different coach than the one featured in season 3. Prepare for multiple F bombs per minute).

TheTrain
08-11-2018, 02:10 PM
The only proven truth here is that Jordan McNair died. There are always two sides to a story and I will reserve judgement until the other side has been presented. The Duke lax case prevents me from ever rushing to judgement.

The inevitable lawsuit will lay out the facts of what occurred between 5-6:30 pm on the day McNair died. Right now, the public does not know.

As for the “culture”, who knows where the truth actually lies. The story was entirely anonymously sourced. If they are players and staffers from the Randy Edsall regime, there may be some other motives here. Nobody knows.

Let the facts play out on the record from both sides before delivering a verdict

kshepinthehouse
08-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Moreover, according to sources quoted in the WaPo article, there's a 100 percent cure for heat stroke. Immerse in ice and water until the body temperature cools to below 104 degrees. This was almost certainly not done, as the patient presented to the hospital with a temperature of 106 degrees. There is also a somewhat disputed delay between the seizure and the first 911 call. The head trainer was reportedly present at the voluntary workout.

One of my kids, as an infant, regularly developed high fevers. oN her doctor's recommendation, we used the ice and water method, wrapping her in a towel, whenever her temperature reached 103. Was very effective. In fact, her body temperature would cause the towel to heat up, even in the presence of the ice water. Other pediatricians recommended cold baths, but the ice water was tried-and-true.

Apparently, that 106 temperature was over an hour after he had his episode. Reports are that the trainers tried different things to cool him down. But why they didn’t call 911/put him in ice we may never know. This is someone’s child! I would be beyond livid if my child was treated this way. Maryland is going to be coughing up a lot of money to this family.

BigWayne
08-11-2018, 02:44 PM
The only proven truth here is that Jordan McNair died. There are always two sides to a story and I will reserve judgement until the other side has been presented. The Duke lax case prevents me from ever rushing to judgement.

The inevitable lawsuit will lay out the facts of what occurred between 5-6:30 pm on the day McNair died. Right now, the public does not know.

As for the “culture”, who knows where the truth actually lies. The story was entirely anonymously sourced. If they are players and staffers from the Randy Edsall regime, there may be some other motives here. Nobody knows.

Let the facts play out on the record from both sides before delivering a verdict

This is all very true. A lot of unknowns.

The big thing I am seeing right now is that it apparently took UMD more than two months to do anything significant here. What have they been doing all summer? If criminal or civil fault is found as a result of legal proceedings, the actions of the UMD administration and athletic department during this time may result in a whole host of people paying the consequences.

TheTrain
08-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Undoubtedly, Maryland’s leadership has been poor at best. Kevin Anderson in the minds of most was a poor AD. Wallace Loh is in the minds of most a substandard University President. Evans has a really checkered past as an AD as well.

As soon as Billy Murphy got involved, all hell was going to break loose. Not only is he a renowned civil rights / criminal defense attorney, he is a master of public relations. I have known him my entire adult and grew up with his son Hassan. They needed a crisis management team and a top flight legal eagle to get in front of this. They failed

LasVegas
08-11-2018, 03:30 PM

Yes, I agree. Some of the stuff in that article is harmless. Crying because a coach slapped a plate of food out of a players hand because he brought it to a meeting? Crying because the coaches belittled players? Please. I’m in my late 20s and I have a friend who played highschool ball with me who is now the head coach. He always talks about how different it is. Most of the time he can’t even scream at a kid because the parents come running in trying to shield them from it. It’s pathetic. There definitely is a line that should not be crossed but this generation of kids are SOFT.

My baseball coach used to rip into us when I played in high school. He is one of the best in the state and we won a state title one year. You know what? He was freaking nuts. Tore into us at numerous times and a lot of it wasn’t fun. One day I causually mentioned that it was too hot outside and he ripped into me in front of everyone and made me run for 2 hours straight. He made me a better person. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about how he has helped me in my adult life. I fear for the generation of kids who don’t get these lessons taught to them with tough love. Life is hard. Better get ready.

kmspeaks
08-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Yes, I agree. Some of the stuff in that article is harmless. Crying because a coach slapped a plate of food out of a players hand because he brought it to a meeting? Crying because the coaches belittled players? Please. I’m in my late 20s and I have a friend who played highschool ball with me who is now the head coach. He always talks about how different it is. Most of the time he can’t even scream at a kid because the parents come running in trying to shield them from it. It’s pathetic. There definitely is a line that should not be crossed but this generation of kids are SOFT.

My baseball coach used to rip into us when I played in high school. He is one of the best in the state and we won a state title one year. You know what? He was freaking nuts. Tore into us at numerous times and a lot of it wasn’t fun. One day I causually mentioned that it was too hot outside and he ripped into me in front of everyone and made me run for 2 hours straight. He made me a better person. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about how he has helped me in my adult life. I fear for the generation of kids who don’t get these lessons taught to them with tough love. Life is hard. Better get ready.

Out of the dozens of coaches I played for there were two that were screamers. One of them yelled and made us run when we did things wrong and never let even tiny mistakes go without being called out. I don't remember a single time where she told me I did a good job at something, there was always something else that needed improvement. It wasn't very fun but it made me a much better player and I chose to play for her again the next year and then later coach with her as an assistant. I am extremely grateful for her influence in my life.

The other yelled just because she could. She called me fat, lazy, and worthless while I struggled to play through an arm injury that caused my hand to swell up like a latex glove that somebody blew air into, she called time out and told the rest of my teammates to stay where they were while she ran into left field to yell at just me, she called our team an embarrassment to her and the school because in the second game of a double header we only beat a team by 9 runs instead of the 14 we beat them by in the first game. I transferred after two years. In my recruiting class there were 6 freshmen, only 1 played for her for 4 years. In the class before it was 2/7 and the one before that 1/6. Her yelling did not produce great results.

There's absolutely no reason to slap a plate of food out of somebody's hand or call them derogatory names for female anatomy. That's not tough love, it's not love at all, and if that's the only way you know to try and motivate and push players then you need a new job.

LasVegas
08-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Out of the dozens of coaches I played for there were two that were screamers. One of them yelled and made us run when we did things wrong and never let even tiny mistakes go without being called out. I don't remember a single time where she told me I did a good job at something, there was always something else that needed improvement. It wasn't very fun but it made me a much better player and I chose to play for her again the next year and then later coach with her as an assistant. I am extremely grateful for her influence in my life.

The other yelled just because she could. She called me fat, lazy, and worthless while I struggled to play through an arm injury that caused my hand to swell up like a latex glove that somebody blew air into, she called time out and told the rest of my teammates to stay where they were while she ran into left field to yell at just me, she called our team an embarrassment to her and the school because in the second game of a double header we only beat a team by 9 runs instead of the 14 we beat them by in the first game. I transferred after two years. In my recruiting class there were 6 freshmen, only 1 played for her for 4 years. In the class before it was 2/7 and the one before that 1/6. Her yelling did not produce great results.

There's absolutely no reason to slap a plate of food out of somebody's hand or call them derogatory names for female anatomy. That's not tough love, it's not love at all, and if that's the only way you know to try and motivate and push players then you need a new job.

Obviously you can’t just scream negative things all the time and expect positive results. There has to be a balance but to want these kids to be sheltered from derogatory language is wrong, IMO. Along with many other “tough love” talk/actions. Times have for sure changed and I don’t like it. It’s a dog eat dog world and if you live your life like Paris Hilton’s purse dog, you are going to get torn to pieces.

DukeandMdFan
08-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Maryland's Democratic candidate, Ben Jealous, is hoping to beat popular incumbent governor Larry Hogan. Jealous calls for Coach DJ Durkin to be suspended.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-md-ben-jealous-maryland-football-20180811-story.html#

DJ Durkin placed on administrative leave.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24351245/maryland-football-coach-dj-durkin-put-leave-amid-reports-toxic-culture

kmspeaks
08-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Obviously you can’t just scream negative things all the time and expect positive results. There has to be a balance but to want these kids to be sheltered from derogatory language is wrong, IMO. Along with many other “tough love” talk/actions. Times have for sure changed and I don’t like it. It’s a dog eat dog world and if you live your life like Paris Hilton’s purse dog, you are going to get torn to pieces.

If you can't see a difference between using an f-bomb or other choice word to emphasize a point and repeatedly calling someone a "cat" because they didn't squat as much as you wanted them to then I guess we just agree to disagree and I'll be done here.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-11-2018, 06:40 PM
If you can't see a difference between using an f-bomb or other choice word to emphasize a point and repeatedly calling someone a "cat" because they didn't squat as much as you wanted them to then I guess we just agree to disagree and I'll be done here.

I agree with you. Success does not require this kind of dehumanizing behavior. It's not about tough....I'm sure Nick Saban is tough, but I doubt we'll hear this from Bama. Dabo Swinney is doing pretty good, and you know he doesn't treat anyone, let alone his players, like this. And they're the gold standard now.

sagegrouse
08-11-2018, 06:52 PM
How's that Big Ten thang working out fer you Terps? Spending all that extra money on lawyers, are you? Doesn't the Big Ten-ESPN-Fox contract end in a few years -- 2023, is it? Doesn't the ACC deal with ESPN go to 2036 (or until Disney sues to terminate)?

DukeandMdFan
08-11-2018, 09:14 PM
How's that Big Ten thang working out fer you Terps? Spending all that extra money on lawyers, are you? Doesn't the Big Ten-ESPN-Fox contract end in a few years -- 2023, is it? Doesn't the ACC deal with ESPN go to 2036 (or until Disney sues to terminate)?

Deep down, I think Maryland will be an ACC school for the coming future - with scandals of the ACC variety rather than the B1G Ten decades of molestation variety.

Maryland President, William Loh, responsible for the move to the Big Ten sent the email below. His heartbreak over the death and the events surrounding the death of football player Jordan McNair are noticeably absent.

August 11, 2018

Dear University of Maryland community,

I am profoundly disturbed by the media reports yesterday about verbally abusive and intimidating conduct by Maryland football coaches and staff towards our student athletes on the team.

Such behaviors contravene the educational mission and core values of our University. They are unacceptable. They will not be tolerated.

All of our coaches and staff who work with our student athletes are also teachers. Our responsibility as teachers is to inspire and enable students to perform at their best and expand the boundaries of their potential, in the classroom and/or on the athletic field. Humiliating and demeaning a student is not only bad teaching and coaching, it is an abuse of the authority of a teacher and coach.

I have directed Athletic Director Damon Evans to take actions necessary to ensure the safety and success of our student athletes. In addition, the University will retain an external expert to undertake a comprehensive examination of our coaching practices in the football program, with the goal that these practices reflect—not subvert -- the core values of our University.

Today, Athletic Director Evans has placed Head Football Coach DJ Durkin on administrative leave while this comprehensive examination is conducted. This follows Athletic Director Evans' decision to place other athletics staff members on administrative leave. Matt Canada will serve as Interim Head Football Coach.

The University of Maryland is committed to a football program that is safe and humane, and where our student-athletes are successful in their academic and athletic endeavors. This commitment will be carried out with accountability, fairness, and transparency.

I will follow-up with a progress update on this matter and on the tragic death of Jordan McNair.
Sincerely,
Dr. Wallace Loh
Wallace D. Loh
President, University of Maryland

DukeandMdFan
08-11-2018, 09:45 PM

OldPhiKap
08-11-2018, 09:55 PM

Damon Evans was the AD at UGA, and got pulled over in Atlanta for a DUI. He somehow had a pair of panties between his legs from a young lady riding with him. Tried to BS his way out of being arrested. Always wondered where he landed.

https://atlanta.sbnation.com/2010/7/3/1550750/text-of-damon-evans-police-report-red-panties

sagegrouse
08-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Deep down, I think Maryland will be an ACC school for the coming future - with scandals of the ACC variety rather than the B1G Ten decades of molestation variety.

[/I]
Trying to be positive, but I have no idea what you mean.

LasVegas
08-11-2018, 10:37 PM
I agree with you. Success does not require this kind of dehumanizing behavior. It's not about tough...I'm sure Nick Saban is tough, but I doubt we'll hear this from Bama. Dabo Swinney is doing pretty good, and you know he doesn't treat anyone, let alone his players, like this. And they're the gold standard now.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=14298688

I think you are naive if you believe coaches don’t belittle and yell obscene things at players. That’s probably the one thing that’s consistent in sports.

DukeandMdFan
08-12-2018, 02:12 AM
Damon Evans was the AD at UGA, and got pulled over in Atlanta for a DUI. He somehow had a pair of panties between his legs from a young lady riding with him. Tried to BS his way out of being arrested. Always wondered where he landed.

https://atlanta.sbnation.com/2010/7/3/1550750/text-of-damon-evans-police-report-red-panties

That's crazy - I don't think he will be at Maryland much longer..

HereBeforeCoachK
08-12-2018, 03:18 AM

I think you are naive if you believe coaches don’t belittle and yell obscene things at players. That’s probably the one thing that’s consistent in sports.

Not naive at all.....but this one off incident from Dabo, in the heat of battle, in a game, over a particularly brain dead play, is hardly the systemic culture of abuse day to day in practice, in meetings, throughout the whole program. It is beyond absurd to try and say that Dabo (or Nick Saban) operate their program anything like Durkin's program at Maryland.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-12-2018, 03:27 AM

I am not sure how this thread has become a discussion of whether or not yelling at players might hurt their feelings. What was happening at Maryland was above and beyond anything remotely acceptable by any standards of you read the articles. Making players eat candy until thwy vomit? Belittling players for their weight? Literally running a man until his internal body temp is 106?

These aren't motivational tactics. They are torture.

Sorry, you can call me a snowflake all you want, but this far transcends my dislike for Maryland as a (not) rival. This is systematic debauchery without merit.

Gross.

kshepinthehouse
08-12-2018, 07:52 AM

Coaching staff at Maryland routinely exhibited abusive behavior that ultimately resulted in the death of someone’s child and you’re defending them? Shaking my head.

uh_no
08-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Not naive at all...but this one off incident from Dabo, in the heat of battle, in a game, over a particularly brain dead play, is hardly the systemic culture of abuse day to day in practice, in meetings, throughout the whole program. It is beyond absurd to try and say that Dabo (or Nick Saban) operate their program anything like Durkin's program at Maryland.
yeah seems odd to go after Dabo. everything i've read or seen from him makes me think he's a stand up guy.

LasVegas
08-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Coaching staff at Maryland routinely exhibited abusive behavior that ultimately resulted in the death of someone’s child and you’re defending them? Shaking my head.

Only defending some actions. Some are turning this into a straw man. I’d quote my original post but I’m on mobile which makes everything a billion times harder. My specific post talked about yelling at kids and slapping a plate of food out of a hand. I had issues with SPECIFIC examples in the article because I just think the generation of kids we are talking about here are soft in general which is largely due to their parents fault.

And I’m not going after Dabo. Just pointing out that he too yells at players. Does anyone think he was saying nice and encouraging things during that clip. Hey kid! You tried your best! Love you!
Heck no. It was probably more like...what the freak were your doing? Are you a freaking idiot? You just freaked the whole team. Go sit your butt down.

Did horrible things occur at MD? Sure, but I wasn’t defending all the actions or the program/culture as a whole.

kmspeaks
08-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Only defending some actions. Some are turning this into a straw man. I’d quote my original post but I’m on mobile which makes everything a billion times harder. My specific post talked about yelling at kids and slapping a plate of food out of a hand. I had issues with SPECIFIC examples in the article because I just think the generation of kids we are talking about here are soft in general which is largely due to their parents fault.

And I’m not going after Dabo. Just pointing out that he too yells at players. Does anyone think he was saying nice and encouraging things during that clip. Hey kid! You tried your best! Love you!
Heck no. It was probably more like...what the freak were your doing? Are you a freaking idiot? You just freaked the whole team. Go sit your butt down.

Did horrible things occur at MD? Sure, but I wasn’t defending all the actions or the program/culture as a whole.

With the caveat that we don't know exactly what Dabo said, yelling at a player who just went against the play call and made a huge mistake is not the equivalent of slapping a plate of food out of someone's hand or belittling a player who passes out before finishing a workout. One is a form of discipline and accountability, the other is demeaning and degrading and has no place in any relationship in life not just a Coach-Player one. Unless Dabo called the kid a worthless little "witch" or something to that effect then I don't have a problem at all with what he did. The examples in the article were not "soft" kids upset because someone yelled at them.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-12-2018, 10:29 AM

This is total fail as an analogy......one incident versus an entire culture......one in game time passion versus 7 day a week torment......just not an analog at all.

DukeandMdFan
08-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Trying to be positive, but I have no idea what you mean.

I think the biggest scandals in college sports has been what happened at the Big Ten schools of Penn State and Michigan State. The Jim Jordan knew about it scandal happened at Ohio State. All involved Big Ten schools with large football stadiums to be filled by rabid fan bases. IMO, adults who knew better covered it up to save the reputation of coaches or programs, even though it would allow the perpetrator to continue sexually abusing children/young adults.

I don't think that type of abuse is as likely to happen at University of Maryland because there isn't the same mentality of winning at all costs.

I don't think people throughout the DMV are mad that the abuse was exposed and will be lobbying the school to retain the coach anyway.

While it could happen at an ACC school, it hasn't happened yet.

What I referred to as "ACC-type" incidences are more likely to involve cheating in recruitment (money, prostitutes), unallowable gifts, or academic fraud (UNC) to keep players eligible.

I know that the FBI found evidence that Terp one-and-done Diamond Stone received about $14,300 from somebody although MD coaches denied knowing about it. I think the football coaches abusing the players is not as prevalent as it used to be, but still occurs to a lesser degree at a lot of programs. What sets MD apart is that a player died, "drag his a** off the field", and it seems that the trainer/coaching staff did not apply adequate measures in a preventable death.

kshepinthehouse
08-12-2018, 10:57 AM
With the caveat that we don't know exactly what Dabo said, yelling at a player who just went against the play call and made a huge mistake is not the equivalent of slapping a plate of food out of someone's hand or belittling a player who passes out before finishing a workout. One is a form of discipline and accountability, the other is demeaning and degrading and has no place in any relationship in life not just a Coach-Player one. Unless Dabo called the kid a worthless little "witch" or something to that effect then I don't have a problem at all with what he did. The examples in the article were not "soft" kids upset because someone yelled at them.

Furthermore, the article mentions former staffers complaining about the treatment as well as players upset about how their teammates are treated. It’s not just “soft” kids complaining. It’s all different types of people associated with the program.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-12-2018, 11:25 AM
The Jim Jordan knew about it scandal happened at Ohio State.

Counselor, you are standing on facts not in evidence. In fact, everyone who knew Jordan at the time disagrees with you. Refer to Midterm Election thread...

uh_no
08-12-2018, 11:42 PM
I don't think that type of abuse is as likely to happen at University of Maryland because there isn't the same mentality of winning at all costs.

just because they are horrid at it doesn't mean the mentality doesn't exist.

While it could happen at an ACC school, it hasn't happened yet.

or more correctly, nobody has been caught at it yet.

What I referred to as "ACC-type" incidences are more likely to involve cheating in recruitment (money, prostitutes), unallowable gifts, or academic fraud (UNC) to keep players eligible. the list of incidences that are more likely seems to grow longer by the year. the ACC is nothing special.

Tom B.
08-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Re: coaching techniques -- I think it's a bit myopic to focus narrowly on yelling, cursing, challenging manhood, etc. Lots of coaches do that. But not all know how to do it effectively.

The first year I played high school basketball, we had a coach who yelled and cursed some, but not what I'd call an excessive amount. He was a bad coach, though, mainly because his attitude stunk. The best word to describe him would be petulant. He'd belittle guys, played passive-aggressive mind games, and almost never had anything positive to say. He was one of those guys who just seemed to go through life mad and resentful at the world, and took it out on the teenagers he was charged with coaching. We had a reasonably talented team, but ended up with a losing record. Two or three guys quit during the season. Team chemistry sucked. After our next-to-last game of the season (a loss, natch), two teammates got into a fight in the locker room. Just a miserable experience.

Fast forward to the next year. New coach. Definitely more of a yeller -- in fact, he told us point blank on the first day of practice that if we didn't want to get yelled at, we'd come to the wrong place. Cursed plenty. Would get in your face and challenge you. BUT...and this was key...he knew how to mix his intensity with positive reinforcement, teaching, and even humor at times. He knew how to break guys down, then build them back up (whereas our prior coach knew only how to grind people down). He knew how to push you to your limit, but leave you at the end of the day wanting to come back for more tomorrow. And to my knowledge, he never knocked food out of anyone's hands.

We had less athletic talent on that team than the year before, but our chemistry was light-years better. We gelled, our play improved, and we finished with six more wins than the previous season and a winning record. And the coach? He coached for 15 more years after I graduated, went to six state finals, won three state championships, and built a program that's now a state basketball power and sends guys to play college ball most years.

There's a real art to coaching, to knowing how to challenge and push people without crossing the line to jerkishness (the filter wouldn't let me use the word I wanted to use here) and abuse. And it's not easy. If you figure it out, you can have a long and successful career. If you don't -- and it sounds like Durkin and his gang haven't, or didn't care -- that's a recipe for toxicity and trauma.

dukelifer
08-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Re: coaching techniques -- I think it's a bit myopic to focus narrowly on yelling, cursing, challenging manhood, etc. Lots of coaches do that. But not all know how to do it effectively.

The first year I played high school basketball, we had a coach who yelled and cursed some, but not what I'd call an excessive amount. He was a bad coach, though, mainly because his attitude stunk. The best word to describe him would be petulant. He'd belittle guys, played passive-aggressive mind games, and almost never had anything positive to say. He was one of those guys who just seemed to go through life mad and resentful at the world, and took it out on the teenagers he was charged with coaching. We had a reasonably talented team, but ended up with a losing record. Two or three guys quit during the season. Team chemistry sucked. After our next-to-last game of the season (a loss, natch), two teammates got into a fight in the locker room. Just a miserable experience.

Fast forward to the next year. New coach. Definitely more of a yeller -- in fact, he told us point blank on the first day of practice that if we didn't want to get yelled at, we'd come to the wrong place. Cursed plenty. Would get in your face and challenge you. BUT...and this was key...he knew how to mix his intensity with positive reinforcement, teaching, and even humor at times. He knew how to break guys down, then build them back up (whereas our prior coach knew only how to grind people down). He knew how to push you to your limit, but leave you at the end of the day wanting to come back for more tomorrow. And to my knowledge, he never knocked food out of anyone's hands.

We had less athletic talent on that team than the year before, but our chemistry was light-years better. We gelled, our play improved, and we finished with six more wins than the previous season and a winning record. And the coach? He coached for 15 more years after I graduated, went to six state finals, won three state championships, and built a program that's now a state basketball power and sends guys to play college ball most years.

There's a real art to coaching, to knowing how to challenge and push people without crossing the line to jerkishness (the filter wouldn't let me use the word I wanted to use here) and abuse. And it's not easy. If you figure it out, you can have a long and successful career. If you don't -- and it sounds like Durkin and his gang haven't, or didn't care -- that's a recipe for toxicity and trauma.

My question is why do we want this in our coaches but not in our bosses or school teachers. Should teachers challenge “manhood” or “womanhood” to get students to learn math? Should bosses curse and get in your face to get you to finish your work? What gives coaches the ability to behave this way, when it is not acceptable in most places. I do not believe this is the only way to get excellence from athletes. We just have allowed it to continue.

gep
08-14-2018, 12:22 AM
My question is why do we want this in our coaches but not in our bosses or school teachers. Should teachers challenge “manhood” or “womanhood” to get students to learn math? Should bosses curse and get in your face to get you to finish your work? What gives coaches the ability to behave this way, when it is not acceptable in most places. I do not believe this is the only way to get excellence from athletes. We just have allowed it to continue.

My thought is that if bosses need to resort to this tactic, they hired the wrong person. As for school teachers, they can only do what they are allowed to do... it's really all on the parents.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-14-2018, 07:01 AM
My thought is that if bosses need to resort to this tactic, they hired the wrong person.

I think you made his point for him.....

Tripping William
08-14-2018, 03:03 PM
The doo-doo gets deeper (https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/14/maryland-terrapins-jordan-mcnair-death-news-conference-dj-durkin-wallace-loh-damon-evans?utm_source=facebook.com&xid=socialflow_facebook_si&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sportsillustrated).

Money quote:

Loh explained that he and athletic director Damon Evans met with McNair's family in Baltimore earlier on Tuesday to apologize for the circumstances that led to McNair's death in June. Loh also added that the training staff "basically misdiagnosed the situation. No vital signs were taken. Other safeguarding actions were not taken."

Evans said the staff never took McNair's temperature and did not give him cold water immersion after he collapsed during an official team workout in May. He also said the team's head of strength and conditioning Rick Court is no longer with the program. Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports reports Court resigned from his position on Monday, and he finalized a financial settlement with the university on Tuesday.

PackMan97
08-14-2018, 03:07 PM

That depends, I want my defensive lineman to play angry. Mad. Spitting mad. I want them to think that guy lined up against them beat up their little sister and stole her lunch money and kicked the family dog just for fun!

I may want my quarterback to be a bit more emotionally stable ;)

devildeac
08-14-2018, 03:39 PM
That depends, I want my defensive lineman to play angry. Mad. Spitting mad. I want them to think that guy lined up against them beat up their little sister and stole her lunch money and kicked the family dog just for fun!

I may want my quarterback to be a bit more emotionally stable ;)

I want your quarterback to be suspended 4 games. Oh, wait, wrong "school." ;):rolleyes:

PackMan97
08-14-2018, 04:25 PM
I want your quarterback to be suspended 4 games. Oh, wait, wrong "school." ;):rolleyes:

State and Duke don't play each other again until 2082, and given that Duke is on a two game winning streak...I don't really think jokes are appropriate.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-14-2018, 04:47 PM
State and Duke don't play each other again until 2082, and given that Duke is on a two game winning streak...I don't really think jokes are appropriate.

2082? Maybe 2028?

Bob Green
08-14-2018, 05:44 PM

Actually the next game between Duke and State is in 2020.

Pghdukie
08-14-2018, 05:53 PM
Who was the basketball coach that got fired a few years ago for mentally and physically abusing his players. I remember his rages and rants were on video, but his name and school escape me. What a jerk he was. Similar to Durkin.

BigWayne
08-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Who was the basketball coach that got fired a few years ago for mentally and physically abusing his players. I remember his rages and rants were on video, but his name and school escape me. What a jerk he was. Similar to Durkin.

Rutgers/Mike Rice. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Rice_Jr.)

cato
08-14-2018, 05:58 PM

Ben Howland? Although I think he was really fired for not winning enough, and I do not recall any allegations of physical abuse by the coaches.

BigWayne
08-14-2018, 06:16 PM
BTW - Rice seems to have rehabilitated himself a fair bit. (http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/1649193357774464050/ex-rutgers-coach-mike-rice-at-patrick-school/) Patrick school is the successor to St. Patrick, where Kyrie played.

BigWayne
08-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Back to the thread topic...

UMD has parted ways with the conditioning coach, Rick Court (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24374654/maryland-terrapins-accept-responsibility-mistakes-made-death-jordan-mcnair)

According to preliminary findings from a university-hired external investigation led by Walters Inc., the Maryland staff did not take McNair's temperature at the workout, did not apply a cold-water immersion treatment and did not follow the emergency response plan appropriately.

"The care provided was not consistent with best practices, and heat illness was not properly identified or treated," Evans said Tuesday.

The preliminary findings of the independent review come among a whirlwind of fallout from an ESPN report detailing allegations of verbal abuse, bullying and a general disregard for the players' well-being that centered on Court and were enabled by head coach DJ Durkin.

Court, in his resignation letter, said he was "stepping down to allow the team to heal and move forward."

Pghdukie
08-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Back to the thread topic...

UMD has parted ways with the conditioning coach, Rick Court (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24374654/maryland-terrapins-accept-responsibility-mistakes-made-death-jordan-mcnair)

Thanks.

jimsumner
08-14-2018, 08:07 PM
I cannot think of a single time in my life when someone belittling me, cursing me, or forcing me to do something until I passed out worked to my benefit.

Positive reinforcement? Now, that's a different story.

Perhaps I never had the good fortune of having coaches who perfected the art of making teenagers better by cursing at them.

But I suspect not.

fidel
08-14-2018, 08:32 PM
I cannot think of a single time in my life when someone belittling me, cursing me, or forcing me to do something until I passed out worked to my benefit.

Positive reinforcement? Now, that's a different story.

Perhaps I never had the good fortune of having coaches who perfected the art of making teenagers better by cursing at them.

But I suspect not.

Amen.

BigWayne
08-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Calls for more heads at UMD are heating up. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-schmuck-terps-football-column-20180814-story.html#nt=oft06a-2la1)

This tragedy happened on Evans’ watch, too, and when he walked to the podium and introduced himself as the “new” athletic director, he forgot to mention that he used to be the deputy athletic director under Kevin Anderson with oversight of the football program. He didn’t just walk in the door.

budwom
08-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Coach is toast, they just have to go through the motions of "investigating." Zero chance he survives, his past quotes about how ultra tight he is/was with the strength/conditioning lunatic will seal his fate.
They're both lunatics.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Coach is toast, they just have to go through the motions of "investigating." Zero chance he survives, his past quotes about how ultra tight he is/was with the strength/conditioning lunatic will seal his fate.
They're both lunatics.

...ditto the AD also......and probably the Pres.....

BigWayne
09-21-2018, 09:01 PM
The first report of the investigation into McNair's death has been released. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-md-jordan-mcnair-report-20180921-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1la1)

This link is from the Baltimore Sun and is fairly detailed regarding the cooling methods and steps used. ESPN report glossed over a lot of these details.
If you just go by what was reported earlier and what places like ESPN report, you would think they didn't do anything for an hour and a half.
What they did was obviously not effective, but it's not as cut and dried as some earlier reports would lead you to believe.

MChambers
10-31-2018, 07:19 AM
The UMd Board of Regents has decided to retain Durkin, the head coach, and Evans, the athletic director. I can only assume they didn’t think they had cause to terminate Durkin’s contract and couldn’t afford to pay him and another head coach. Barry Svrugla of the Post really tears into them: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-ought-to-be-ashamed/2018/10/30/74421b02-dc5b-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html?utm_term=.623db0d422ea

Have to say that I’m now officially glad UMd is in the Big Ten and not the ACC.

hallcity
10-31-2018, 08:46 AM
They're both lunatics.

You should have been right but it's impossible to overestimate the sleaziness of Maryland athletics. Thank you, B1G for taking them out of the ACC.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-31-2018, 08:49 AM
You should have been right but it's impossible to overestimate the sleaziness of Maryland athletics. Thank you, B1G for taking them out of the ACC.

....and not only the sleaziness.....but the tone deafness as well. How could grown ups possibly have thought this would be acceptable? Often time academic elites are totally divorced from the world at large.....this is just one more example of that.

CrazyNotCrazie
10-31-2018, 09:01 AM
...and not only the sleaziness....but the tone deafness as well. How could grown ups possibly have thought this would be acceptable? Often time academic elites are totally divorced from the world at large....this is just one more example of that.

I would normally follow up by saying I can't see how any parent would send their child to play football at Maryland, but we see similar things happen all the time. It looks like the University's president is the only one who acted somewhat responsibly here.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-31-2018, 10:04 AM
It looks like the University's president is the only one who acted somewhat responsibly here.

What specifically did he do that was responsible? The visit to the McNair family? He wiped that out with this decision.

chris13
10-31-2018, 10:11 AM
They're both lunatics.

This whole decision to retain Durkin is unbelievable to me. First off, somehow all the other Power 5 conferences have coaching and training staffs that manage not to force a player into heat stroke, and then fail to treat him with best practices when he does get heat stroke. Second, it's not like Durkin has some Nick Saban like record. He's 15-18 as a college head coach, and that includes the 5-3 Maryland record this year. I'm pretty sure Maryland could find a coach that could go .500 and not kill a player during the practice.

Just when I think college athletics can't get any more morally bankrupt, it does. What a sorry day for the University of Maryland.

I hope the McNair family settlement bankrupts the Maryland athletic department.

hallcity
10-31-2018, 10:26 AM
I'm trying to remember. Was Bill Dooley fired at UNC after Bill Arnold died of a heat stroke in 1971? Did Dooley just leave on his own in a year or two? My recollection is that what happened in Arnold's case, while tragic, wasn't nearly as indefensible as what happened at Maryland and that there weren't any of the other terrible non-heat stroke related things revealed about the football program. Maryland just looks horrible. An embarrassment to college sports.

ehdg
10-31-2018, 10:28 AM
I'm sorry but I find it totally amazing that Maryland decided to keep Durkin after what happened. Yes years ago when Len Bias over dosed the school fired Lefty and he had absolutely nothing to do with Len's death. If this was officiating of a game it sounds like a make call to me by Maryland in keeping Durkin. He should have been fired post haste where as Lefty should have been retained and not made the scapegoat.

CrazyNotCrazie
10-31-2018, 11:07 AM
What specifically did he do that was responsible? The visit to the McNair family? He wiped that out with this decision.

Slow down - I don't think you have read any articles about this. This decision was made by the Board of Regents, not the President. Simultaneous with this announcement that the coach and AD are staying, the president announced he is retiring at the end of the school year. So he basically fell on the sword even though from what I understand, the coach and AD are a lot more culpable than he is. Immediately after the incident he said he took some responsibility for what happened, which no one else did. From my brief review of articles about this, people are very upset that he is taking the blame.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2018, 11:15 AM
It i$ difficult to under$tand how this deci$ion wa$ reached by the Regent$. It make$ no $en$e what$oever.

chris13
10-31-2018, 11:20 AM
I'm trying to remember. Was Bill Dooley fired at UNC after Bill Arnold died of a heat stroke in 1971? Did Dooley just leave on his own in a year or two? My recollection is that what happened in Arnold's case, while tragic, wasn't nearly as indefensible as what happened at Maryland and that there weren't any of the other terrible non-heat stroke related things revealed about the football program. Maryland just looks horrible. An embarrassment to college sports.

Bill Dooley stayed until 1977 when he left to be coach and AD at Virginia Tech. I'm not defending the Billy Arnold thing, but I think sports medicine has evolved a great deal since 1971, the days when players were told to tough it out and not drink water during practice.

Having said that, a group of former UNC players questioned Dooley's methods, based on this 1971 NY Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/10/17/archives/football-malpractice-playing-the-injured-draws-criticism.html

budwom
10-31-2018, 11:38 AM
This whole decision to retain Durkin is unbelievable to me. First off, somehow all the other Power 5 conferences have coaching and training staffs that manage not to force a player into heat stroke, and then fail to treat him with best practices when he does get heat stroke. Second, it's not like Durkin has some Nick Saban like record. He's 15-18 as a college head coach, and that includes the 5-3 Maryland record this year. I'm pretty sure Maryland could find a coach that could go .500 and not kill a player during the practice.

Just when I think college athletics can't get any more morally bankrupt, it does. What a sorry day for the University of Maryland.

I hope the McNair family settlement bankrupts the Maryland athletic department.

by definition I have to agree...just amazing...I think the bottom line is Merlin athletics don't have a pot to wee in, they just can't afford a change...ironically they left the ACC for more money, but I think right now they are junior members who get a tiny slice of the annual pie. good riddance. As Wilbon and Kornheiser have said, a rare case where the fans didn't want to join the new conference, and the people in the new conference don't want them. Nice match.

BigWayne
10-31-2018, 11:42 AM
This is far from over at UMD. Students will be protesting and keeping this in the news cycle. Players are walking out of team meetings. There will most certainly be a lawsuit coming from the McNair family. How that board could think they could do this and have the problem just go away is beyond comprehension.

MChambers
10-31-2018, 11:48 AM
This is far from over at UMD. Students will be protesting and keeping this in the news cycle. Players are walking out of team meetings. There will most certainly be a lawsuit coming from the McNair family. How that board could think they could do this and have the problem just go away is beyond comprehension.

My guess is that they are hoping Durkin will leave at the end of the year and they won't have to pay him.

superdave
10-31-2018, 11:48 AM

I knew someone on the coaching staff and they all ran for the hills after spending a year or two here.

Wish they could speak up, but I guess that might be considered biting the hand that feeds you?

MChambers
10-31-2018, 07:02 PM
Story gets even weirder: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/31/maryland-parts-ways-with-head-football-coach-dj-durkin/?utm_term=.3697dcf9d189

TruBlu
10-31-2018, 07:04 PM
ESPN is reporting that Durkin has been fired. The Board has had a chance of heart.

*Can’t get the linky thing to work

MChambers
10-31-2018, 07:08 PM
ESPN is reporting that Durkin has been fired. The Board has had a chance of heart.

Because the Maryland governor told them to reconsider!

Tripping William
10-31-2018, 07:28 PM

Profiles in Courage, Alaskan-style, right there. :rolleyes:

cato
10-31-2018, 07:34 PM

Looks like they forgot there were bigger fish in their pond.

MChambers
10-31-2018, 07:54 PM

Apparently it was the outgoing prez, not the board.

Pghdukie
10-31-2018, 08:34 PM
The proverbial vote of confidence! At noon your rehired and 5pm your fired.

willowglen
10-31-2018, 10:01 PM
Apparently it was the outgoing prez, not the board.

Maryland is a dysfunctional school. It is not unlike its major city in the State, Baltimore, one of these least competently run governments in the nation.

My history with the school is long but patchy. I was heavily recruited there, but saw no compelling reason to go notwithstanding their record of success in my sport. My Duke coach had close ties to Maryland, so we competed in College Park often. I was always surprised that a school in a wealthy state 10 miles from the Capitoll did not have the stature of a Michigan or UVa, and that their endowment is among the lowest of any flagships in the nation. Tenured profs from the 80’s - politically liberal - used to complain to me that their departments were never funded for excellence because all of the money went to the patronage pit known as Baltimore.

Maryland’s mishandling of the situation with the football team is both awful and not surprising. They hired incompetents, ended up needlessly killing a player, and the botched communications and decisionmaking in an epic way, just as Baltimore did with Freddie Gray.

Note how Maryland got into the Big 10. Their athletic department spent money like drunken sailors, and plunged into the Big 10 out of sheer financial desperation. A Baltimore type move.

Look, not all is negative. The adminstration is finding out the hard way that one of the consequences of having the third highest SAT scores in terms of admission in the Big 10 (although given the prevalance of the ACT’s at Univ of Illinois, Illinois may be more competitive), is that the students won’t sit compliantly and watch the foolishness without speaking up - and that athletics must be done in a way consistent with the academic mission - like Duke does (there is a reason why hundreds of national level athletes with high grades and scores choose Duke - not because it is perfect - but rather because there is an ethic to do school and sports the right way). And the lacrosse and women’s bball team seem to be doing well even under a rotten administration. But in the end this fiasco is not surprising - par for the course.

I am not sure what Maryland does with football at this point. They have to play football and be passably competitive to stay in the Big 10, but recruiting will be brutal. And going forward relying on 2 star kids from PG county will cause performances that will make the 2018 Rutgers team look good. They need a President who is both an a academic superstar and yet can adminster athletics competitively and well. That list is very small.

JasonEvans
10-31-2018, 10:49 PM
President Wallace D. Loh will step down in June of next year... and I bet he will have a new job by July. He comes out of this smelling like a rose. A man of moral integrity who told the board to do the right thing and then, when they didn't, he said, "I won't work for you any longer and, before I go, I will do the right thing for you." I mean, he's on the short list of most admirable people in all of academia right now.

sagegrouse
11-01-2018, 02:43 AM
President Wallace D. Loh will step down in June of next year... and I bet he will have a new job by July. He comes out of this smelling like a rose. A man of moral integrity who told the board to do the right thing and then, when they didn't, he said, "I won't work for you any longer and, before I go, I will do the right thing for you." I mean, he's on the short list of most admirable people in all of academia right now.

Jason, he is 73. I would not be surprised if he stays at UMd another year, which was his planned retirement date

BigWayne
11-01-2018, 01:57 PM
It didn't take long for the reinstatement of Durkin to revive the "toxic culture" of the UMD football team. (https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-maryland-football-altercation-20181101-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1gp2)

Wonder if news of this beating got to UMD president Loh before he fired Durkin.
Before I saw this article, I was thinking the terps might pull together under the interim coach and keep their decent season going. Now, I think it all falls apart as they break down into factions.

Reilly
11-01-2018, 02:21 PM
It didn't take long for the reinstatement of Durkin to revive the "toxic culture" of the UMD football team. (https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-maryland-football-altercation-20181101-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1gp2)

Before I saw this article, I was thinking the terps might pull together under the interim coach and keep their decent season going. Now, I think it all falls apart as they break down into factions.

The attorney quoted is former Duke FB player Malcolm Ruff.

https://www.murphyfalcon.com/our-team/malcolm-p-ruff/

Helped Duke beat GT for its first ACC win in forever in 2003.

devildeac
11-01-2018, 02:33 PM
This is the same Wallace Loh who spoke out about the cheats in this article:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-report-maryland-president-wallace-loh-said-he-would-think-unc-gets-death-penalty-20170410-story.html

Of course he was wrong about the final result (:mad:) but, at least the man appears quite bold and honorable.

Devil2
11-01-2018, 03:29 PM

MY understanding from various readings is that technically the Board of Regents does not have the power to fire employees at one of the campuses. Apparently the campuses are operationally independent. Loh most of then decided to fire Durkin himself as president of UM College Park

PackMan97
11-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Word is that he will not be fired for cause, which means getting a buyout for the contract not honored.

My guess is the lawyer for Jordan McNair will take a look at the buyout Durkin is getting and will add a zero or three to the end and present that as the offer to settle, "or else".

BigWayne
11-01-2018, 04:58 PM

Update to this is it appears to be the starting punter beating up the back up punter, who was being held by other players so he couldn't fight back. Wonder who will be punting against Mich State this weekend.

mwharrington
11-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Did you catch the last three paragraphs of that Baltimore Sun article? The lawyer's name shoud be familiar to long-time Duke football fans.

When he spoke to The Sun on Wednesday evening at his lawyer’s offices, Barber’s arm was in a sling and his head was bandaged.

Malcolm P. Ruff, a lawyer at the firm of Murphy, Falcon & Murphy, which is representing Barber, said his client was targeted over his whistle-blowing.

“This young man had the courage to stand up,” Ruff said. “He became a target.”

BigWayne
11-07-2018, 03:16 PM
In the latest update, despite the board of regents recommendations supporting them along with Coach Durkin, the trainers involved with the non-treatment of McNair have been let go. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25207067/maryland-terrapins-part-ways-trainers-steve-nordwall-wes-robinson) I guess those board recommendations don't count for much since the chairman resigned. (https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/bs-md-james-brady-regents-exit-20181031-story.html)

CrazyNotCrazie
11-07-2018, 03:29 PM
I was shocked to see a headline today that Mike Tomlin’s son just committed to play for Maryland. He seems too smart to send his son into that disaster area.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-07-2018, 05:38 PM
I was shocked to see a headline today that Mike Tomlin’s son just committed to play for Maryland. He seems too smart to send his son into that disaster area.

Wow, that's odd to be sure. How highly recruited was he?

CrazyNotCrazie
11-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Wow, that's odd to be sure. How highly recruited was he?

Looks like he is a three star recruit. Given the chaos at Maryland I don't know why anyone would sign up for that, particularly not right now. He goes to arguably the best academic private school in Pittsburgh - I do not know anything about their football program.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25200574/dino-tomlin-son-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-tomlin-picks-maryland-terrapins

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Looks like he is a three star recruit. Given the chaos at Maryland I don't know why anyone would sign up for that, particularly not right now. He goes to arguably the best academic private school in Pittsburgh - I do not know anything about their football program.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25200574/dino-tomlin-son-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-tomlin-picks-maryland-terrapins

His offer sheet included Dartmouth, Princeton, and Yale. The lone ACC school was Pitt. Obviously academics matter to him. One thing about choosing UMD, it does give him the chance to be in a bigger program and still get to enjoy life away from home. It appears those options may have been limited.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/dino-tomlin-78843