PDA

View Full Version : Recording ESPN+

DevilYouKnow
08-09-2018, 08:41 AM
I can't watch the Canada games live. Work conflict.

Does anyone know a method for recording streaming content (like the upcoming Duke games on ESPN+) so I can watch them later that night?

Thanks!

Avvocato
08-09-2018, 08:52 AM
I can't watch the Canada games live. Work conflict.

Does anyone know a method for recording streaming content (like the upcoming Duke games on ESPN+) so I can watch them later that night?

Thanks!

With their boxing content, they make events available on demand to watch. I don’t know when they generally become available to watch later. Not sure how these games will be handled, but I assume it would be similarly available. Others may have more information.

mattman91
08-09-2018, 08:55 AM
I cut cable immediately after basketball season this year.

WTH is ESPN+?

DevilYouKnow
08-09-2018, 08:58 AM
ESPN+ looks to be some sort of rebranded ESPN3. It's a paid streaming service that offers a 7 day free trial, which beautifully aligns with Duke's Canadian tour.

mattman91
08-09-2018, 09:05 AM
ESPN+ looks to be some sort of rebranded ESPN3. It's a paid streaming service that offers a 7 day free trial, which beautifully aligns with Duke's Canadian tour.

So you have to pay for the cable subscription plus another fee for streaming? I thought everything that was available on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU was already available on the Watch ESPN app for free. What is the difference? Is it more exclusive events? Going away with Watch ESPN? :confused:

superdave
08-09-2018, 09:37 AM
So you have to pay for the cable subscription plus another fee for streaming? I thought everything that was available on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU was already available on the Watch ESPN app for free. What is the difference? Is it more exclusive events? Going away with Watch ESPN? :confused:

You can usually find replays online or via the Espn app (Roku, Firestick etc).

nmduke2001
08-09-2018, 09:43 AM

ESPN+ will not have the same content as the other networks. ESPN3 will still exist and will show much of the same content as the regular networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN NEWS). ESPN+ is stand alone.

WV_Iron_Duke
08-09-2018, 12:24 PM
ESPN+ has curtailed the ability to watch recently played games,matches etc on WatchEspn. An example was Wimbeldon. All the recently played matches were on ESPN+ and many of the live matches as well.
We will just have to wait and see how it will impact the viewing of college sports in the fall.

UrinalCake
08-09-2018, 01:02 PM
I remember when ESPN2 first launched, it was for all the fringe sports like roller hockey and tree chopping that weren’t popular enough to be on the main channel. Then they started slowly pushing the stuff people actually watch onto ESPN2. ESPN3 (the online-only channel) was the same way. Now I suspect that ESPN+ will suffer the same fate. Initially you can mostly ignore it because you don’t care about what’s on (other than the Duke games, which we’ll all spend our free trial on) but over time they will start putting more stuff on it and we’ll all have to give in and shell out the 5 bones per month.

brevity
08-09-2018, 01:25 PM
I remember when ESPN2 first launched, it was for all the fringe sports like roller hockey and tree chopping that weren’t popular enough to be on the main channel. Then they started slowly pushing the stuff people actually watch onto ESPN2.

I remember that. Years ago ESPN was having some difficulty getting cable stations in Kentucky to carry ESPN2, so they put the Kentucky-Louisville basketball game on ESPN2. Problem solved.

By the way, there was another DBR thread about ESPN+ (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42114) from a few weeks ago. Merge?

ETA: This thread too. (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?41888)

arnie
08-09-2018, 06:26 PM
I remember when ESPN2 first launched, it was for all the fringe sports like roller hockey and tree chopping that weren’t popular enough to be on the main channel. Then they started slowly pushing the stuff people actually watch onto ESPN2. ESPN3 (the online-only channel) was the same way. Now I suspect that ESPN+ will suffer the same fate. Initially you can mostly ignore it because you don’t care about what’s on (other than the Duke games, which we’ll all spend our free trial on) but over time they will start putting more stuff on it and we’ll all have to give in and shell out the 5 bones per month.

And they’ll increase the cost to $10/month, and then $15/month while diluting the offerings on ESPN and ESPN2. Probably nothing can be done since we’ve all sold our souls.

sagegrouse
08-09-2018, 07:13 PM
I remember that. Years ago ESPN was having some difficulty getting cable stations in Kentucky to carry ESPN2, so they put the Kentucky-Louisville basketball game on ESPN2. Problem solved.

By the way, there was another DBR thread about ESPN+ (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42114) from a few weeks ago. Merge?

ETA: This thread too. (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?41888)

I remember a couple of years maybe 15 years ago when Duke-Carolina basketball was on ESPN2. I had to find a bar.

mwharrington
08-11-2018, 09:11 PM
I remember a couple of years maybe 15 years ago when Duke-Carolina basketball was on ESPN2. I had to find a bar.

Try 23 years ago. 1995 UNC-Duke (the 2OT Jeff Capel halfcourt shot game) was the first major event on espn2. Doesn't seem like that long ago. Yeah, I had to find a bar for that one too.

UrinalCake
08-18-2018, 09:53 PM
FYI replays of the first two games are available on YouTube. These are, shall we say... "unofficial" archives.

Ryerson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu0dVzGD3pg)

Toronto (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWwzQEqeJHU)