PDA

View Full Version : New NCAA rules on going pro and returning to school

drummerdevil
08-08-2018, 12:36 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

A couple of the major things talked about in this article - "elite" players (determined by USA basketball) can sign an agent before their senior season of high school and players who go undrafted can now go back to school.

CameronBornAndBred
08-08-2018, 12:46 PM

A couple of the major things talked about in this article - "elite" players (determined by USA basketball) can sign an agent before their senior season of high school and players who go undrafted can now go back to school.

Every player on every team is gonna declare for the draft now.

drummerdevil
08-08-2018, 12:48 PM

That was my first thought as well - honestly every single collegiate player might just declare, no reason not to.

CameronBornAndBred
08-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Although, there seems to be a caveat.

College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

That would limit the number. What if you declare, don't get invited, and stay in the draft? Do you still get to go back to school? Or should that be the writing on the wall that you aren't gonna get picked?

MarkD83
08-08-2018, 01:27 PM
I believe the NBA combine is by invitation, so if a player is not invited to the combine than it is a good clue that a player won't be drafted.

I actually like this rule and even though there is a fear that a lot of players will declare for the draft giving them the choice to return to school is letting the player have more control of their own destiny.

jwillfan
08-08-2018, 01:33 PM
In baseball you don't declare - teams can draft anyone as long as they are eligible (in HS or 3 years in college, I think).

Read an article about a rookie this season for the Red Sox that was drafted after his junior season and didn't get the signing bonus $$ he wanted so went back for his senior year.

Lots of permutations here - I imagine teams can figure out who the good players are

OldPhiKap
08-08-2018, 01:34 PM
I actually like this rule and even though there is a fear that a lot of players will declare for the draft giving them the choice to return to school is letting the player have more control of their own destiny.

I agree with this. The kid should not have to gamble on what happens when deciding whether to enter the draft or stay. Although that may make recruiting harder and push back commitments, because teams will not know who is coming back until late June or so..

moonpie23
08-08-2018, 01:34 PM
it's going to mess with guessing what your roster is gonna look like next year....

OZZIE4DUKE
08-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Would Trevon Duval have returned to school if this option had been available to him before he signed with who ever he signed with? Discuss!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-08-2018, 01:41 PM

Is this as massive as it appears to be? Agents can pay for athlete expenses? Game-changer.

flyingdutchdevil
08-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Protect the kids. Give them more options.

But the fans of amateur sports must hate these changes.

kAzE
08-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Would Trevon Duval have returned to school if this option had been available to him before he signed with who ever he signed with? Discuss!

I think so . . . if he were drafted at all next year, especially if he was able to somehow get into the first round, he'd be making a lot more money than on his current 2-way deal with the Bucks (even with the lost year of income). True, he would have to do schoolwork, and there's a reasonable chance that he would have lost some playing time, but IMO he had a very good freshman year, and with even just normal freshman to sophomore improvement, would have been one of the best point guards in the ACC, if not the country, as well as getting tons of exposure on television. I don't think there's any doubt Trevon would have benefited from this rule.

But plenty of other teams would be getting some really good players back as well, so it's not totally clear whether or not it would have helped our title chances.

duke79
08-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Is this as massive as it appears to be? Agents can pay for athlete expenses? Game-changer.

Admittedly, I just skimmed the press release from the NCAA but, putting on my lawyer's hat, the new rules seem somewhat vague and it may take time to flesh out how they will actually work but it seems like the NCAA is STARTING to acknowledge and deal with the reality of what is really going on!

UrinalCake
08-08-2018, 02:21 PM

Every player could have declared for the draft previously, but not all of them did. I think guys have a good general idea of where they stand. The only change is that it pushes back the timeline for when they can return to school, making it after the draft. That is significant, but I would expect it to affect maybe one or two players at most each year.

The most significant new change is allowing agents. I like this change as I have believed for a long time that players deserve to have professional representation when their careers and livelihood is at stake. But this also raises a host of new questions.
- how will agents be certified? The NCAA says that programs will certify agents, not the NCAA. This seems like a terrible idea. No consistency across the board. Can a school just "certify" whoever they want to be an agent? And my prediction is that certain schools will enter into agreements with certain agents, and then use those relationships as a recruiting tool. Come play for us and we'll connect you with agent X.
- what happens if an agent breaks the rules? Does he become de-certified? Do we really expect certain schools who have a history of breaking the rules (cough cough) to follow them?
- Only "elite" prospects are allowed to hire agents. Why? Who determines which prospects are elite? Also recall that in that agent's expense report that was leaked by Yahoo several months ago, most of the players named were not "elite" prospects. So what problem is this solving exactly when non-elite prospects are still going to be potentially receiving money under the table?
- Agents can pay for meal and travel expenses. Again, potential for abuse of the system exists. Plenty of ways to funnel money to players now that this channel has been opened. Does anyone really expect the NCAA to monitor every meal received by every player?

sagegrouse
08-08-2018, 03:01 PM
- how will agents be certified? The NCAA says that programs will certify agents, not the NCAA. This seems like a terrible idea. No consistency across the board. Can a school just "certify" whoever they want to be an agent? And my prediction is that certain schools will enter into agreements with certain agents, and then use those relationships as a recruiting tool. Come play for us and we'll connect you with agent X.
- what happens if an agent breaks the rules? Does he become de-certified? Do we really expect certain schools who have a history of breaking the rules (cough cough) to follow them?

Here's a brief excerpt frpm the ESPN article. It reads (to me) like the NCAA will have an agent-certification program.

Agents: Effective immediately, the NCAA will allow college players to be represented by NBA-certified agents (the agents must become NCAA-certified no later than Aug. 1, 2020) beginning after any season, as long as they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Agents will be permitted to pay for meals and transportation for players and their families during the agent selection process and for meetings with pro teams, if changes are made to agent acts and state laws.
The agent agreements must be in writing and will be terminated when the student enrolls or returns to college.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Every player could have declared for the draft previously, but not all of them did. I think guys have a good general idea of where they stand. The only change is that it pushes back the timeline for when they can return to school, making it after the draft. That is significant, but I would expect it to affect maybe one or two players at most each year.

The most significant new change is allowing agents. I like this change as I have believed for a long time that players deserve to have professional representation when their careers and livelihood is at stake. But this also raises a host of new questions.
- Only "elite" prospects are allowed to hire agents. Why? Who determines which prospects are elite? Also recall that in that agent's expense report that was leaked by Yahoo several months ago, most of the players named were not "elite" prospects. So what problem is this solving exactly when non-elite prospects are still going to be potentially receiving money under the table?
- Agents can pay for meal and travel expenses. Again, potential for abuse of the system exists. Plenty of ways to funnel money to players now that this channel has been opened. Does anyone really expect the NCAA to monitor every meal received by every player?

Well, and allowing the agents doesn’t leave undrafted players out in the wind for having representation.

Again, this seems to be a MASSIVE shift by the NCAA, even though we knew something alongs these lines was coming down the pipes.

I am surprised this isn't the lead story on ESPN and other sport sites already.

sagegrouse
08-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Well, and allowing the agents doesn’t leave undrafted players out in the wind for having representation.

Again, this seems to be a MASSIVE shift by the NCAA, even though we knew something alongs these lines was coming down the pipes.

I am surprised this isn't the lead story on ESPN and other sport sites already.

As opposed to "Why Will Grier sacked himself from social media" on ESPN's front page.

killerleft
08-08-2018, 03:09 PM

USA Basketball decides which players are elite basketball prospects, according to the linked NCAA article.

UrinalCake
08-08-2018, 03:15 PM
USA Basketball decides which players are elite basketball prospects, according to the linked NCAA article.

Well yeah, but what criteria do they use? Would someone like Zhaire Smith have been an "elite" prospect? He was ranked 200+ in the RSCI, yet wound up going in the lottery. Under this system he would not have been allowed to have an agent.

sagegrouse
08-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Well yeah, but what criteria do they use? Would someone like Zhaire Smith have been an "elite" prospect? He was ranked 200+ in the RSCI, yet wound up going in the lottery. Under this system he would not have been allowed to have an agent.

One step at a time, U.C., one step at a time. "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

BigWayne
08-08-2018, 03:26 PM
To work with a high school or college athlete, agents must be certified by an NCAA program with standards for behavior and consequences for violations.

Guess this rules out the cheats.

MarkD83
08-08-2018, 06:56 PM
In thinking about these rules a little more it favors a program that builds a good relationship with players so that they feel welcome back even if they do declare for the draft.

I wonder which "brotherhood" I mean program would flourish in this type of atmosphere?

jv001
08-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Presidents and Chancellors will also be held accountable that athletics are abiding by the rules. At least that's what I think the article said. That has to be called "The UNCheat Rule". GoDuke!

Troublemaker
08-08-2018, 10:26 PM
Protect the kids. Give them more options.

But the fans of amateur sports must hate these changes.

Why? I'm a fan of amateur sports and like these changes.

BTW, even though it's not the only factor, coaches better start running pro-style offenses and defenses if they want to have a chance at the elite prospects. And coaches need to be personable enough to have good relationships with NBA agents.

CameronBornAndBred
08-08-2018, 10:40 PM
And coaches need to be personable enough to have good relationships with NBA agents.

Will schools have to start dual recruiting? Will they need to attract both the player AND the agent? I could see that. And it seems like a recipe for disaster, too. Before today, we heard about money being funneled to a player. Now I could see down the road a scandal that it is reported that a school funneled money to an agent, and in turn, he funneled his guys to said school.

I think the idea of agents and HS/College players does nothing but set the money cogs in motion a little bit earlier. I hear the folks saying that it is a good idea and their reasons for it, but I think it puts a whole new unopened can of worms on the shelf.

MarkD83
08-08-2018, 11:26 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24324859/ncaa-new-proposed-rules-blindsides-nba-usa-basketball-officials

So the NCAA went rogue and did not consult the NBA or USAB. I actually like the gumption they are showing. I'm pretty sure the NBA did not consult the NCAA about the one and done rule which has been a royal pain for the NCAA.

So let the NBA react to the NCAA taking back control of their game.

If I didn't know any better I would guess that the old leadership at the NCAA was fired at the end of July and a new group of folks took control. There is no way the old leadership at the NCAA would be this bold.

juise
08-09-2018, 12:45 AM
Duval’s thoughts: ”Wasn’t going back regardless” (https://mobile.twitter.com/DatGuy_Trey/status/1027388838342086657)

CameronBornAndBred
08-09-2018, 02:03 AM
Duval’s thoughts: ”Wasn’t going back regardless” (https://mobile.twitter.com/DatGuy_Trey/status/1027388838342086657)

Comments are cruel. So was his statement, so he invites them. I'm guessing he has a thick skin knowing they were coming. Haters gonna love that tweet.
For me...if that is his attitude, then may he enjoy his well earned AhhhhSeeeya. I am so happy the OAD era is seeing its sunset. It is hard to knock a kid for having to deal with the system as it is. But don't beat down the school that you chose to give you the opportunity. And don't make it snarky when things didn't work out the way you thought you were entitled to.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-09-2018, 06:23 AM

Well, that settles that. LGD GTHc!

dukelifer
08-09-2018, 06:41 AM

I think they can pay for dinners and travel as part of the selection process. This will be a hard thing to monitor- lots of room for potential abuse - like I bought the kid a car so he could meet me and discuss hiring me as an agent - or each meal is followed by a dessert of $200,000 covered in chocolate sauce. I suspect there will be 10 pages covering eligible expenses.

UrinalCake
08-09-2018, 09:08 AM

Yeah I really think he just wanted to go regardless and had that mindset since before he even arrived at Duke. I’ve been really critical of his decision to go, but he got a two-way contract and will be making maybe $100k and can now work on his game full time. It’s probably the best path to the NBA for him (which is not necessarily the same for every player).

UrinalCake
08-09-2018, 09:10 AM
I think they can pay for dinners and travel as part of the selection process. This will be a hard thing to monitor- lots of room for potential abuse - like I bought the kid a car so he could meet me and discuss hiring me as an agent - or each meal is followed by a dessert of $200,000 covered in chocolate sauce. I suspect there will be 10 pages covering eligible expenses.

Is there any doubt that Fats Thomas will be certified as one of UNC-CHeat’s agents? He’s already got the transportation benefits covered with his fleet of high-end rentals.

Troublemaker
08-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Will schools have to start dual recruiting? Will they need to attract both the player AND the agent? I could see that.

Sure, but with a limited pool of agents, this shouldn't be too difficult. It's about establishing good relationships with the agents, and for an elite program like Duke's, we hopefully would already have many of those relationships established. It's never been about just recruiting the kid. You have to recruit the mom, the AAU coach, the high school coach, etc.

And since the high school player can't hire the agent until the summer before his senior year, college programs should (theoretically at least) have better relationships with the players than the agents do at that point in time. A coach of Coach K's stature might even be able to flip the dynamic; he could explain to the players and their families whom the good agents are and what to look for when hiring one, and the agents have to stay on his good side lest they be omitted from the conversation.

weezie
08-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Confused about USA Basketball not being aware of any of this ahead of time? Do I have that right?

Just seems kind of slappy and unwieldy, the whole shebang. Who's going to make these decisions and who's watching the deciders?

SoCalDukeFan
08-09-2018, 01:34 PM
At first blush I liked the changes. I think they legitimatize what is going on under the table anyway and can not be effectively policed. I have enough second hand info to be convinced that agents today are providing benefits (or promising future benefits) to high school players or their families and steering the players to the agent's favorite schools or coaches.

My problem is that we don't know what happens when the system comes out of the shadows. How much power will the agents have? Suppose a player projects as an NBA point guard but his college team needs him as shooting guard. Does the agent tell the coach play him at point or you won't get another of my players ever again? Does a coach give a scholarship to an agent's inferior player for the promise of a superior one?

I think the NCAA is admitting that some players are playing "Pre Pro" basketball as opposed to "College" basketball.

People like World Wide Wed, the Pump Brothers, agents, shoe companies etc. have had an outsized and often underreported influence on college basketball.

I will be optimistic that this improves things, but not surprised of it does not.

SoCal

Reddevil
08-09-2018, 01:43 PM
In baseball you don't declare - teams can draft anyone as long as they are eligible (in HS or 3 years in college, I think).

Read an article about a rookie this season for the Red Sox that was drafted after his junior season and didn't get the signing bonus $$ he wanted so went back for his senior year.

Lots of permutations here - I imagine teams can figure out who the good players are

First I like this notion of doing away with the whole declaration step. Is there a reason anymore to have it?

Can a coach become an agent? Can an AD? Can a school hire a big-time agent and put him on the payroll?

Coming back to school means that you are academically eligible right?

So far I have more Q's than A's, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

cato
08-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Confused about USA Basketball not being aware of any of this ahead of time? Do I have that right?

Just seems kind of slappy and unwieldy, the whole shebang. Who's going to make these decisions and who's watching the deciders?

In general, the NBA and USAB seem much better run than the NCAA. That said, there is no reason for the NCAA to continue to wait around and see what everyone else wants to do with college basketball. If they think that changes are good for the college game, implement them and let others react for a change.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-09-2018, 06:44 PM
I forsee agents "helping" kids decide where to go to school.

SoCalDukeFan
08-09-2018, 08:00 PM
I forsee agents "helping" kids decide where to go to school.

I think its been going on for years.

SoCal

Acymetric
08-09-2018, 08:03 PM
One thing is for sure, we are going to be "treated" to an endless stream of comments about this from Jay Bilas from now until the end of time, and on those grounds I oppose the measure.

OldPhiKap
08-09-2018, 08:45 PM
One thing is for sure, we are going to be "treated" to an endless stream of comments about this from Jay Bilas from now until the end of time, and on those grounds I oppose the measure.

Of course, without any change, he would be harping about the status quo ad nauseam.

Bluedog
08-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Yep, just watched the clip of Bilas talking to SVP. I could only stomach a minute of it. He not a fan! "The NCAA is just trading one mess for another!" He thinks all players should be allowed agents and any player should be allowed to go back to school (even drafted ones).

sagegrouse
08-09-2018, 11:12 PM
Yep, just watched the clip of Bilas talking to SVP. I could only stomach a minute of it. He not a fan! "The NCAA is just trading one mess for another!" He thinks all players should be allowed agents and any player should be allowed to go back to school (even drafted ones).

I expect that's where we will end up in a few years.

cato
08-09-2018, 11:38 PM
I expect that's where we will end up in a few years.

That may be a good result. I assume teams would not be required to hold a spot for anyone who applied for the draft.

BigWayne
08-10-2018, 03:16 AM
The NCAA is just clueless on how they did this. They tried to dump off responsibility for the mess onto the NBA and USAB, but didn't consult with them apparently and now look foolish.

The scheme they floated with all sorts of hoops for players to jump through is just asking for lawsuits and/or just setting up a system where they will never be able to hold anyone accountable.

Not surprised though as these are the same yoyos that couldn't get the UNC scandal right either.

UrinalCake
08-10-2018, 08:59 AM
We haven’t talked much about the changes to the recruiting calendar, but I noticed that they have increased the number of official visits a player can take - from five to FIFTEEN. I am all in favor of player rights, but this is absurd. Why does a player need to visit fifteen schools? I’m sure it will be fun to have the red carpet rolled out and to be wined and dined all weekend ten more times, but this is a huge burden on the schools. Many of them know they have no shot at the kid but still have to go through the process for the sake of appearances.

Troublemaker
08-10-2018, 09:53 AM
The NCAA is just clueless on how they did this. They tried to dump off responsibility for the mess onto the NBA and USAB, but didn't consult with them apparently and now look foolish.

Yeah, not consulting with anyone beforehand is ridiculous. USA basketball doesn't want the responsibility of identifying which players can hire agents. College coaches hate the new recruiting calendar. High schools and high school coaches don't want to run the camps. How can you propose changes that rely on others to play significant roles and not discuss with them beforehand?

Acymetric
08-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Yeah, not consulting with anyone beforehand is ridiculous. USA basketball doesn't want the responsibility of identifying which players can hire agents. College coaches hate the new recruiting calendar. High schools and high school coaches don't want to run the camps. How can you propose changes that rely on others to play significant roles and not discuss with them beforehand?

It's not entirely clear to me, are they expecting USA Basketball to start making this list, or is it perhaps relying on a list of "elite" prospects that USA Basketball already creates for their own use in determining who to scout/invite to tryouts and such?

blUDAYvil
08-10-2018, 10:10 AM
We haven’t talked much about the changes to the recruiting calendar, but I noticed that they have increased the number of official visits a player can take - from five to FIFTEEN. I am all in favor of player rights, but this is absurd. Why does a player need to visit fifteen schools? I’m sure it will be fun to have the red carpet rolled out and to be wined and dined all weekend ten more times, but this is a huge burden on the schools. Many of them know they have no shot at the kid but still have to go through the process for the sake of appearances.

I like this measure. The "burden" is placed equally on all schools so it's not unfair and will help players make more informed decisions. Surely the schools have the funds/staff to accommodate it or they should make more selective offers.

Indoor66
08-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Surely the schools have the funds/staff to accommodate it or they should make more selective offers.

That is great. Assumptions without evidence. Placing burdens without any referenced or cited consultation. What could go wrong?🙃

blUDAYvil
08-10-2018, 10:27 AM
That is great. Assumptions without evidence. Placing burdens without any referenced or cited consultation. What could go wrong?🙃

I agree the decisions should have been made after consultation. Also agree that there may be unintended consequences. Doesn't mean the measure isn't worth taking though.

sagegrouse
08-10-2018, 10:40 AM
As I understand it, there have been extensive discussions among the NCAA, USA Basketball, and the NBA. What seems to be the case is that there was no ultimate resolution.

Back to the NCAA to clarify.

Is there potentially an automatic designation, based on being chosen for a US national team? There are U16, U17 and U18 teams.

BigWayne
08-10-2018, 02:07 PM

NCAA post on it is here. (http://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree)
It's a problem like you said, especially for schools in attractive locales, like San Diego or South Florida, but it hasn't really tripled.

Realistically, it is really going from 5 to 10 for most cases. Roughly speaking, players are allowed 5 visits during their junior year of HS, then another 5 during senior year, then another 5 after they start college while they are looking to transfer to another school.

The school limit is also increasing from an average of 12/year to 14/year, but on two year rolling total.

flyingdutchdevil
08-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Oh man. So Louisville's budget for "adult entertainment" is going to triple? Oh my.

BD80
08-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Is there any doubt that Fats Thomas will be certified as one of UNC-CHeat’s agents? He’s already got the transportation benefits covered with his fleet of high-end rentals.

Can a tenured professor be a certified agent?

lotusland
08-12-2018, 01:04 PM
I think so . . . if he were drafted at all next year, especially if he was able to somehow get into the first round, he'd be making a lot more money than on his current 2-way deal with the Bucks (even with the lost year of income). True, he would have to do schoolwork, and there's a reasonable chance that he would have lost some playing time, but IMO he had a very good freshman year, and with even just normal freshman to sophomore improvement, would have been one of the best point guards in the ACC, if not the country, as well as getting tons of exposure on television. I don't think there's any doubt Trevon would have benefited from this rule.

But plenty of other teams would be getting some really good players back as well, so it's not totally clear whether or not it would have helped our title chances.
Trevon seemed focused on getting to the NBA from early in his HS career. He’s probably better off in the G league. With that said, the hamster wheel OAD recruiting strategy isn’t kind to expected OAD kids when they need to come back. There’s no way to know what kids are thinking when they declare but Duval saw Jones coming just like Jackson saw Duval coming.

mr. synellinden
08-29-2018, 01:08 PM
This is a huge step toward the end of one and done (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24513084/in-step-abolition-one-done-rule-basketball-stakeholders-align-support-usa-basketball) and will entirely change the landscape of college basketball.

jimsumner
08-29-2018, 03:05 PM
https://view.exacttarget.com/?qs=b27a18f42e498eaefc294f84ebd1ec961fe6c574699a50 b88fe3dc4e2b7e6a0441981e32e0ccc32145dcf54540c3cb23 e3254784174aa370baaf4376876feea5dfc77409ea78b4bc90 c44a2a44bf4d4d

cooperation between different levels of basketball?

WiJoe
08-29-2018, 04:09 PM
https://view.exacttarget.com/?qs=b27a18f42e498eaefc294f84ebd1ec961fe6c574699a50 b88fe3dc4e2b7e6a0441981e32e0ccc32145dcf54540c3cb23 e3254784174aa370baaf4376876feea5dfc77409ea78b4bc90 c44a2a44bf4d4d

cooperation between different levels of basketball?

Did you mean corruption? :cool:

sagegrouse
08-29-2018, 10:29 PM
This is a huge step toward the end of one and done (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24513084/in-step-abolition-one-done-rule-basketball-stakeholders-align-support-usa-basketball) and will entirely change the landscape of college basketball.

Opening paragraphs:

In a significant step toward the elimination of the one-and-done rule, basketball's biggest stakeholders have come together to make an unprecedented agreement that will allow the NBA to begin formally working with the nation's top teenagers to help prepare them for pro careers.

The NBA, NCAA and National Basketball Players Association announced Wednesday they have come together to extend their support of USA Basketball and its Junior National Team.