PDA

View Full Version : Taking Suggestions For Top 25 Duke Men's Basketball Moments Book

Alex
08-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm helping with research for two different books.

1. The Top 25 Moment's in Duke Men's Basketball History
2. The Top 25 Moment's in Duke Football History

While I am doing research on my own, I really want to get your takes on this as well. Which championship moment was the best? Which great games are underrated? How do the great moments from the past (ex: from Dick Groat, Art Heyman etc.) compare to the great moments of recent history?

Here's what will probably be most helpful now:

a) Any lists (doesn't have to be long, maybe even 5-10). Some explanation would be great.
b) Introducing great moments that other people might not have mentioned. (Ex: Danny Ferry's 58 pt. game, or the 1979 Carolina game where the Cameron Crazies introduced the "Airball" chant.) Any links or explanation would also be much appreciated.
c) Any debate is welcome.

Once we get a general list, I'll see if I can put together a poll or means of ranking a lot of the top moments.

*These moments don't necessarily have to be games. One example could be something like "The Hiring of Coach K"*

While I assume that most of this thread will be about basketball, I'd love any football suggestions that I can get. If anyone knows a better message board for football, please let me know.

Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes!

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-07-2018, 03:58 PM
A couple super quick thoughts. No surprises...

The Shot
Gone in 60 Seconds
Heyman/Brown brawl
Duke-UNLV

Troublemaker
08-07-2018, 04:10 PM
These two threads should help with your list:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?17215-Greatest-Moment-in-Duke-Basketball

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42086-All-Time-Greatest-Plays-in-Duke-History

DavidBenAkiva
08-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Wow, this sounds like a cool project!

Off the top of my head, here are some moments that will always stick with me, in no particular order:

1) The Coach K-Wojo hug at the end of the 1998 UNC-Duke game
2) Gordon Hayward's shot rimming out and Duke winning the 2010 National Championship (and that team representing the end of the pre-one-and-done era for Duke basketball)
3) Gone in 60 Seconds
4) "F@#% You JJ" - the fan hatred of JJ Redick in particular and Duke in general (footnote: Grayson Allen) (second footnote: no pun intended in the use of the term footnote in reference to Grayson)
5) The 1990 Duke-UNLV National Championship game: Duke was sort of like the Buffalo Bills at the time, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. The low point of getting blown out of the Title Game marked an end of Duke as an underdog in the sport.
6) Coach K turning down the LA Lakers

MartyClark
08-07-2018, 04:16 PM
"The Dagger" by Austin Rivers vs. UNC.

sagegrouse
08-07-2018, 04:36 PM
The theft of the Navy goat the night before Duke upset #4 Navy in November 1960.

BigWayne
08-07-2018, 04:36 PM
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics/400/PC/PCWWGHDGSLUNTAZ.20090924140628.jpg (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204800678)

weezie
08-07-2018, 04:44 PM
The Austin Rivers shot to crush the hole over there. With the team collapsing onto him on the state logo at the middle of their sorry court.

BigWayne
08-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Jamison Crowder touchdown to beat the cheats and become bowl eligible for first time in 18 years.http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/OB/OBYZAKDPXBMJKFJ.20121021035445.jpg (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205717069)

BigWayne
08-07-2018, 06:14 PM
The theft of the Navy goat the night before Duke upset #4 Navy in November 1960.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJwdxwSQD3s

Truth&Justise
08-07-2018, 06:58 PM
These two threads should help with your list:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?17215-Greatest-Moment-in-Duke-Basketball

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42086-All-Time-Greatest-Plays-in-Duke-History

And another: https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21870-What-are-some-of-the-most-memorable-Duke-games&highlight=memorable

Heck, using this forum, you could even track how our evaluation of the best / most memorable moments have changed over time.

EDIT: Here's a thread on the top wins in the Cutcliffe Era (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38511-10-Biggest-Wins-of-the-Cutcliffe-Era&highlight=wins), and here's another on Coach K's top wins (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35014-DeCourcy-article-K-s-10-greatest-wins&highlight=wins).

cato
08-07-2018, 07:04 PM
The Shot? Bobby Hurley’s three against UNLV. I cannot think of a bigger shot in Duke history.

Championship game performance: Dunleavy’s three straight threes against Arizona. Bang, bang, bang. Nine straight points.

gam7
08-07-2018, 07:26 PM
This thread will help too: https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23568-Who-Doesn-t-Love-Lists-Coach-K-s-Top-Wins-and-Toughest-Losses-at-Duke

I am surprised that the DBR Grammar Police have not mentioned this, but you'll probably want to take the apostrophe out of "Moment's" in the titles of your books before publication!

gep
08-08-2018, 12:22 AM
The Shot? Bobby Hurley’s three against UNLV. I cannot think of a bigger shot in Duke history.

Championship game performance: Dunleavy’s three straight threes against Arizona. Bang, bang, bang. Nine straight points.

Didn't Grayson get 8 straight points in the Wisconsin's NCAAT game? Maybe a "close" second.:cool:

cato
08-08-2018, 12:55 AM
Didn't Grayson get 8 straight points in the Wisconsin's NCAAT game? Maybe a "close" second.:cool:

Yep. A three, an and-one and two free throws, with a steal/drawn foul in between. See both performances below, although neither video is perfect (and both omit the the points scored by the other team in between baskets).

Dunleavy turned a three point lead into a ten point lead.

Grayson turned a nine point deficit into a four point deficit.

Dunleavy:

https://youtu.be/f2vk_YVn9sg

cato
08-08-2018, 12:56 AM
Grayson (skip forward to around the 1:45 mark):

https://youtu.be/1_-vfaw1BwQ

JNort
08-08-2018, 02:31 AM
1.Coach K hives his first introduction press conference and helps people spell his name.

2. Johnny Dawkins commits to Duke

3. K's first FF in 86

4. Duke over UNLV

5. 1st K title

6. Back to back titles

Etc...

Tappan Zee Devil
08-08-2018, 09:14 AM
No question that the Freddy Lind game - a triple overtime victory over unc - should be on the list

And I would rank it as #1 on the list simply because I was there. Without a doubt it was the loudest, most exhilarating, sporting experience that I can remember.

Truth&Justise
08-08-2018, 09:36 AM
This thread will help too: https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23568-Who-Doesn-t-Love-Lists-Coach-K-s-Top-Wins-and-Toughest-Losses-at-Duke

Thank you! Was looking for this one to link to. Excellent for a trip down memory lane.

dukelifer
08-08-2018, 09:43 AM
In my personal viewing history- my top 10

1) Laettner's shot against Kentucky- iconic
2) Grant's dunk to launch Duke to its first title
3) Hurley's 3 to bring down undefeated UNLV and revenge the blowout loss in the finals
4) Jason Williams miracle minute against Maryland
5) Gene Banks shot over Perkins on senior night to send into overtime and enable K to get his first win against Dean Smith and UNC
6) River's dagger at the buzzer against UNC
7) Duhon's coast to coast layup against UNC
8) Gordan Hayward's miss from 3 quarter court-
9) Grayson's run in the championship game/Dunleavy's run in the championship game
10) Johnny's block of David Rivers in Duke's first nationally televised game from Cameron

HereBeforeCoachK
08-08-2018, 10:35 AM

3) Hurley's 3 to bring down undefeated UNLV and revenge the blowout loss in the finals
5) Gene Banks shot over Perkins on senior night to send into overtime and enable K to get his first win against Dean Smith and UNC
9) Grayson's run in the championship game/Dunleavy's run in the championship game
10) Johnny's block of David Rivers in Duke's first nationally televised game from Cameron

That's an awesome list, and #1 is beyond a doubt. I would switch 2 and 3, simply because 2 never happens without 3. Maybe none of it happens without Hurley's shot--none of 91,92...any of it. Who knows. A few other ideas to consider:

Phil Henderson's monster jam over Alonzo Mourning in East Regional Final....
Mark Alarie scoring the first ever hoop in the Dean's Myth Center (okay, not top ten, but smile worthy :D)
Dunleavy's explosion v Arizona.
Billy King shutting Mark Macon down ER Finals v Temple

dukelifer
08-08-2018, 11:01 AM
That's an awesome list, and #1 is beyond a doubt. I would switch 2 and 3, simply because 2 never happens without 3. Maybe none of it happens without Hurley's shot--none of 91,92...any of it. Who knows. A few other ideas to consider:

Phil Henderson's monster jam over Alonzo Mourning in East Regional Final...
Mark Alarie scoring the first ever hoop in the Dean's Myth Center (okay, not top ten, but smile worthy :D)

I can see switching 2 and 3- I can still visualize Grant's dunk- but I remember Hurley's three. The dunk was extraordinary as a basketball/athletic play- and did also involve Hurley ;)

westwall
08-08-2018, 03:37 PM
The hiring of Vic Bubas -- that started Duke on the road to becoming a national, Final four contending power.

sagegrouse
08-08-2018, 04:18 PM
The hiring of Vic Bubas -- that started Duke on the road to becoming a national, Final four contending power.

And he talked Art Heyman into switching from UNC (Heyman's dad had no use for Frank McGuire).

Then, Adolph Rupp tried to muscle Jeff Mullins, who had moved to Lexington, into making an immediate decision to come to UK. Thanks, Baron. We appreciated that.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-08-2018, 06:52 PM
I can see switching 2 and 3- I can still visualize Grant's dunk- but I remember Hurley's three. The dunk was extraordinary as a basketball/athletic play- and did also involve Hurley ;)

The Hill dunk on the 40 foot alley oop from Hurley is an iconic play, and amazing play, and is still listed on a lot of (non Duke) internet videos of greatest dunks. Hurley's 3 versus Vegas stopped a Vegas run that was about to put the game out of reach. Cutting it from 5 to 2, late, and suddenly it was different game. The reason, and only reason I might put the Hurley 3 ahead of the Hill dunk is that Duke is probably not even playing Kansas for the Natty without the Hurley 3 - and the Hill dunk never happens. And at the time, Hurley was not exactly considered JJ Redick...yet he stepped up and hit this cold blooded dagger that Duke needed.

VA_BDevil
08-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Kenny Dennard's reverse dunk in 1978 NCAA Tourney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xtB9hcl1R4. That team put Duke back on the map, and the dunk captured the spirit of that team perfectly.

Nugget
08-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Here's my Top 25 Moments -- obviously a lot of overlap with others mentioned above.

1. Laettner shot (1992)
2. Last 2:30 vs. UNLV (1991)
3. Grant Hill dunk vs. Kansas (1991)
4. Jason Williams in Gone in 54 Seconds @ Maryland (2001)
5. Gordon Hayward half-court miss (2010)
6. Shane Battier crazy block to start fast break/ crazy tap in to clinch vs. Arizona (2001)
7. Gene Banks buzzer beater vs. N. Carolina (1981)
8. Phil Henderson dunk on Alonzo Mourning (1989)
9. Johnny Dawkins block of David Rivers (1986)
10. Grayson Allen 8 point run vs. Wisconsin (2015)
11. Mike Dunleavy 3 point run vs. Arizona (2001)
12. Kenny Dennard reverse dunk vs. Villanova (1978)
13. Laettner buzzer-beater vs. U.Conn (1990)
14. The Freddy Lind Game vs. N. Carolina (1968)
15. Coach K-Wojo hug at end of N. Carolina (1998)
16. Johnny Dawkins reverse dunk vs. Navy (1986)
17. Jeff Capel buzzer-beater vs. N. Carolina (1995)
18. Robby West jumper w/ 3 seconds left vs. N. Carolina (1972)
19. Trajan Langdon 3 to clinch end to 7 game losing streak vs. N. Carolina (1997)
20. Austin Rivers buzzer-beater @ N. Carolina (2012)
21. Shane Battier chasedown block of Joe Forte @ N. Carolina (2001)
22. Chris Duhon layup @ N. Carolina (2004)
23. JJ Redick 3 point barrages vs. N.C. State (2005) and Texas (2006)
24. Billy King defending Mark Macon (1988)
25. Gene Banks dunk on Ralph Sampson (1980)

dudog84
08-08-2018, 09:12 PM

While I'll admit it's not #1 by an objective measure, #5 is it for me. Because it's the only one I saw in person and was behind the basket. My freshman year, and though I saw a lot of great games and players all year, that was the moment that turned me from a football fan to a basketball fan.

Down 2, 2 seconds left, ball under the uNC basket. Halfcourt pass, immediate timeout. Dennard inbounds to Banks at the top of the key, turn and swish, overtime. Absolute bedlam ensues.

I believe Banks also scored the winner in overtime. Final score Duke 66 uNC 65.

My apologies if I did not get the exact sequence. I was a bit delirious.

devilsince1977
08-08-2018, 09:15 PM
A Football suggestion

Randy Cuthbert October 28th, 1989 Vs. Georgia Tech. 234 yards. 3 TD's - Toughest, hardest running I have ever seen. It still gives me chills thinking about it.

Tappan Zee Devil
08-08-2018, 09:20 PM

How about some pre-K history?

Tappan Zee Devil
08-08-2018, 09:22 PM

Phil Henderson's monster jam over Alonzo Mourning in East Regional Final...

Tappan Zee Devil
08-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Here's my Top 25 Moments -- obviously a lot of overlap with others mentioned above.

1. Laettner shot (1992)
6. Shane Battier crazy block to start fast break/ crazy tap in to clinch vs. Arizona (2001)
19. Trajan Langdon 3 to clinch end to 7 game losing streak vs. N. Carolina (1997)

on rereading and editing, I see that you did include the Freddy Lind game (thank you), but that is not the only pre-K highlight of Duke bball

westwall
08-08-2018, 09:42 PM

Check out ## 23 and 24

Tappan Zee Devil
08-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Check out ## 23 and 24

yes - but ...

that (and my nomination of the legendary Freddy Lind game) is a very small, small part of the extended lists that I cited

Duke was a bball power when I arrived as a freshman in '66

HereBeforeCoachK
08-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Well I was too young to enjoy the Bubas years.....so my first decade plus of Duke fandom was with Waterrs, McGeachy and the first couple Foster years.

But....I would add Kenny Dennard's reverse dunk against Nova in the ER Finals, a dunk Dennard claims was the first televised reverse dunk in a real college game. He may be right.

Gene Banks had one of the most amazing Duke dunks ever....over Ralph Sampson, but that was in a game where UVa killed Duke...so that wouldn't qualify.

And the Melchionni Maryland game, as well as the Tate Armstrong Maryland game, is great.

Certainly Art Heyman would be in some highlights....but that's before my time.

dukelifer
08-08-2018, 10:08 PM

I only have 3 years prior to K. Here are 3 more

1) Dennard's "block out" of Buck Williams to seal the ACC title
2) Banks' dunk over Sampson (I think this was prior to K- not sure)
3) Duke halftime shutout of UNC - 7-0

dukelifer
08-08-2018, 10:11 PM
While I'll admit it's not #1 by an objective measure, #5 is it for me. Because it's the only one I saw in person and was behind the basket. My freshman year, and though I saw a lot of great games and players all year, that was the moment that turned me from a football fan to a basketball fan.

Down 2, 2 seconds left, ball under the uNC basket. Halfcourt pass, immediate timeout. Dennard inbounds to Banks at the top of the key, turn and swish, overtime. Absolute bedlam ensues.

I believe Banks also scored the winner in overtime. Final score Duke 66 uNC 65.

My apologies if I did not get the exact sequence. I was a bit delirious.

I was there too- my senior year- sitting up in the corner as I did not get on the floor. K is pretty good at designing those last 2 second plays.

devildeac
08-08-2018, 10:12 PM

1. Laettner shot (1992)

Very, very nice list but I'd add:

25a. 82-50 (scoreboard;))

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Here are some less famous, but still impressive/important moments that come to mind...

The second half against UNC in 1998. The Wojo leap.
2010 thumping of Carolina, 82-50. A personal favorite
JJ calls their play, final seconds 2005 UNC game at CIS
Seth and Nolan light it up, second half comeback vs UNC 2011

Alex
08-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm helping with research for two different books.

1. The Top 25 Moment's in Duke Men's Basketball History
2. The Top 25 Moment's in Duke Football History

While I am doing research on my own, I really want to get your takes on this as well. Which championship moment was the best? Which great games are underrated? How do the great moments from the past (ex: from Dick Groat, Art Heyman etc.) compare to the great moments of recent history?

Here's what will probably be most helpful now:

a) Any lists (doesn't have to be long, maybe even 5-10). Some explanation would be great.
b) Introducing great moments that other people might not have mentioned. (Ex: Danny Ferry's 58 pt. game, or the 1979 Carolina game where the Cameron Crazies introduced the "Airball" chant.) Any links or explanation would also be much appreciated.
c) Any debate is welcome.

Once we get a general list, I'll see if I can put together a poll or means of ranking a lot of the top moments.

*These moments don't necessarily have to be games. One example could be something like "The Hiring of Coach K"*

While I assume that most of this thread will be about basketball, I'd love any football suggestions that I can get. If anyone knows a better message board for football, please let me know.

Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes!

Thanks everyone for all of the great responses so far! Also, thanks for links to the other threads. Those are very helpful. Finally, thanks for the grammar check. My bad on that one.

budwom
08-10-2018, 04:23 PM

on rereading and editing, I see that you did include the Freddy Lind game (thank you), but that is not the only pre-K highlight of Duke bball

Freddy Lind game was an absolutely fascinating one, possibly the best game I've ever attended. Unique in many ways.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Here are some less famous, but still impressive/important moments that come to mind...

The second half against UNC in 1998. The Wojo leap.
2010 thumping of Carolina, 82-50. A personal favorite
JJ calls their play, final seconds 2005 UNC game at CIS
Seth and Nolan light it up, second half comeback vs UNC 2011

I'm thinking you are fixated on one particular opponent.....:cool:

HereBeforeCoachK
08-10-2018, 04:36 PM

Well, a few things you might want to think about:

100% of Duke's National Titles are not Pre K.
100% of the ESPN/cable/field of 64, etc, era is not pre K.
About 98% of videos you can find on line are not pre K.
100% of videos that are not grainy are not pre K.
Someone who is the median age for the US is not pre K.

It would only figure that the vast majority of top moments would be in K era. If there were more info available easily, including video, on Art Heyman and Bob Verga and Jack Marin and Jeff Mullins, etc, then it would be easier to get more pre K in there. From a simple math perspective, I'd expect 23 or 24 of the 25 for most folks would be K era.

BigWayne
08-10-2018, 05:26 PM
One thing that is bugging me in this discussion of great moments is people mentioning hiring of Coach K and/or Vic Bubas.
While both coaches turned out to be great for the university to have hired (and kept), the moment of their hiring in both cases was not a "great moment."
This article discusses and explains both cases. (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article209136494.html) Neither one of these hires was an event that Duke fans at the time were excited about.

The one hire in Duke's history that would really qualify as a "great moment" was that of Wallace Wade. (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/465109-alabama-legend-how-did-wade-wallace-end-up-at-duke)

Tom B.
08-10-2018, 07:11 PM
I don't know if these make the Top 25, but let me offer two suggestions that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

(1) 1994 NCAA Regional Final against Purdue -- This was, believe it or not, the last time Duke won a regional final game as an underdog. Heck, from 1995 through 2012, Duke never even played a regional final game as an underdog. Purdue was led by NPOY Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson, who was averaging over 30 ppg. But Grant Hill -- and then Tony Lang, when Grant sat with foul trouble in the second half -- played lockdown defense and held Robinson to just 13 points.

Key moment: Duke was nursing a small lead with a little over three minutes left, and freshman Jeff Capel had the ball on the wing. With the shot clock winding down, Capel flipped a one-handed behind-the-back bounce pass to Lang, who laid it in. Purdue then turned it over on the inbounds pass (Robinson stepped over the end line), and Grant scored to put Duke up by 10. A few minutes later, Capel sealed the game with a breakaway dunk.

https://youtu.be/w8R5hfvIrPA?t=4399

(2) 2010 Regional Final against Baylor -- This game often gets lost in conversations about great Duke games, but this was a really good game with pretty big implications. Duke had gone six years without a trip to the Final Four, its longest drought since the eight-year dry spell from 1978-1986. Baylor led early, and it was a tight, tense affair the whole way. But a late burst keyed by some timely three-point shooting by Nolan Smith and Jon Scheyer pushed Duke to the win, and on to the Final Four, where they'd win their fourth national championship.

Key moment: With Duke trailing by two and 4:20 left, Nolan Smith hits a three from the wing, right in front of Coach K. K reaches out and gives Nolan a quick high-five as he turns to run back up the court. A few minutes later, Lance Thomas provides an exclamation point with a follow-dunk off a missed shot with 1:36 remaining. Thomas was fouled on the dunk and hits the free throw to complete the three-point play and put Duke up by eight. Duke outscores Baylor 21-12 over those final minutes to win the game.

https://youtu.be/exrOpkdoBE8?t=3858

JetpackJesus
08-10-2018, 08:39 PM

And in the middle of it all, this happened:

https://youtu.be/5BPWFQPrFLs

JetpackJesus
08-10-2018, 09:16 PM
2/13/2010 - Duke vs. Maryland. Zoubek posts 16 points and 17 boards. I firmly believe that Cameron has one fewer National Championship banners hanging in its rafters right now if Zoubek doesn't have that coming-out party.

I'm also partial to Sean Dockery beating VT, but probably because I was there. What a finish that was.

For football, I would nominate Duke hosting (and playing in) the Rose Bowl in Durham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1942_Rose_Bowl). Sadly, undefeated and favored Duke lost the game, but it remains a singular moment in history.

sagegrouse
08-10-2018, 11:42 PM
2/13/2010 - Duke vs. Maryland. Zoubek posts 16 points and 17 boards. I firmly believe that Cameron has one fewer National Championship banners hanging in its rafters right now if Zoubek doesn't have that coming-out party.

I, for one, believe that the DBR Board deserves an assist for the Zoubek promotion to the starting line-up. Going back to the previous season, we (or, some of you) had noticed that his +/- ratings were off the charts. And we were sending all sorts of messages, both written and telepathic, to the basketball program.

westwall
08-11-2018, 11:08 PM
One thing that is bugging me in this discussion of great moments is people mentioning hiring of Coach K and/or Vic Bubas.
While both coaches turned out to be great for the university to have hired (and kept), the moment of their hiring in both cases was not a "great moment."
This article discusses and explains both cases. (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article209136494.html) Neither one of these hires was an event that Duke fans at the time were excited about.

The one hire in Duke's history that would really qualify as a "great moment" was that of Wallace Wade. (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/465109-alabama-legend-how-did-wade-wallace-end-up-at-duke)

Sorry Big Wayne, I disagree, and my perspective may be a bit broader than yours. I have been a college basketball fan since at least 1950, and a Duke fan since 1955, and I was a Duke student when Vic Bubas was hired as Duke's basketball coach.
To me, a single basket in a game, especially in a losing game, can not qualify as a "great moment in Duke basketball" unless it led, directly or indirectly, to a national Championship or signaled a positive shift in Duke's basketball fortunes -- not a mere single win. Sure, I cheered Austin's game-winning three, along with many other individual efforts over the years, but these resulted in puerile joy, not necessarily "great moments" in the sense that I suspect the creator of this thread may have had in mind.
Thus, with respect to Vic Bubas, I agree with Bucky Waters: "One of the great decisions, gutsy decisions in the 65 years of ACC history was Eddie Cameron hiring Vic Bubas,” says Bucky Waters who was recruited by Bubas to play at N.C. State". And whether I, a Duke student, realized it at the time or not, that was a great moment. And by 1966, when I cheered the team at the Final Four in Cole Field House, I knew that hiring had been a great moment.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-12-2018, 09:29 AM
Sorry Big Wayne, I disagree, and my perspective may be a bit broader than yours. I have been a college basketball fan since at least 1950, and a Duke fan since 1955, and I was a Duke student when Vic Bubas was hired as Duke's basketball coach.
To me, a single basket in a game, especially in a losing game, can not qualify as a "great moment in Duke basketball" unless it led, directly or indirectly, to a national Championship or signaled a positive shift in Duke's basketball fortunes -- not a mere single win. Sure, I cheered Austin's game-winning three, along with many other individual efforts over the years, but these resulted in puerile joy, not necessarily "great moments" in the sense that I suspect the creator of this thread may have had in mind.
Thus, with respect to Vic Bubas, I agree with Bucky Waters: "One of the great decisions, gutsy decisions in the 65 years of ACC history was Eddie Cameron hiring Vic Bubas,” says Bucky Waters who was recruited by Bubas to play at N.C. State". And whether I, a Duke student, realized it at the time or not, that was a great moment. And by 1966, when I cheered the team at the Final Four in Cole Field House, I knew that hiring had been a great moment.

Westwall I understand the broad perspective you bring up. And I agree that there is truth in that perspective. The key is how do you define "great moments"" I think most of us define that as moments on the court: Amazing plays....critical plays....history defining plays...and so on. Oh, the hiring of Bubas was a critical decision. So was the hiring of Foster. So was Foster leaving Duke for .....for.....for....SOUTH CAROLINA? And of course, the hiring of K was perhaps the most important single decision ever made...and not firing him a couple years later as well.....but "great moments" and "great administrative moments" are different discussion IMO.

sagegrouse
08-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Westwall I understand the broad perspective you bring up. And I agree that there is truth in that perspective. The key is how do you define "great moments"" I think most of us define that as moments on the court: Amazing plays...critical plays...history defining plays...and so on. Oh, the hiring of Bubas was a critical decision. So was the hiring of Foster. So was Foster leaving Duke for ....for....for...SOUTH CAROLINA? And of course, the hiring of K was perhaps the most important single decision ever made...and not firing him a couple years later as well....but "great moments" and "great administrative moments" are different discussion IMO.

There is certainly a difference between, "In retrospect, that was a great moment" and an "instant classic." Not my rules by any means, but can't we accommodate both?

HereBeforeCoachK
08-12-2018, 11:29 AM
There is certainly a difference between, "In retrospect, that was a great moment" and an "instant classic." Not my rules by any means, but can't we accommodate both?

Absolutely agree with this. The original poster mentioned doing a book, and not a video, so I suppose a book might open the discussion up to some of those "in retrospect" that was very important administrative decisions. That said, while I recognize the importance of all kinds of decisions....those things are not as fun to relive. Technically, there are no wrong answers.

The thing with the hiring decisions is how far back do you go? Who hired Bubas? But who hired who hired Bubas? Who hired who hired who hired Bubas? And on and on.

westwall
08-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Ah, semantics! Yes, there may be some room for both, and HereBeforeCoachK has certainly encompassed almost everything by including " Amazing plays...critical plays...history defining plays...and so on". In my view there needs to be some critical evaluation of "amazing plays . . . and so on". Is every posterizing dunk a 'great moment' in Duke Basketball history? Is every 3 that wins a game a 'great moment'?? I believe certainly not. But when that dunk (think Hill's dunk against Kansas) or that 3 (think Hurley's 3 against UNLV) carries a greater significance, one that can rank it as a 'history defining play', then that is truly -- by any Duke fan's definition -- a great moment in Duke Basketball. But if we begin to include all "amazing plays . . . and so on", we are simply degrading the meaning of "great moment".

My two cents!

HereBeforeCoachK
08-12-2018, 12:46 PM
Ah, semantics! Yes, there may be some room for both, and HereBeforeCoachK has certainly encompassed almost everything by including " Amazing plays...critical plays...history defining plays...and so on". In my view there needs to be some critical evaluation of "amazing plays . . . and so on". Is every posterizing dunk a 'great moment' in Duke Basketball history? Is every 3 that wins a game a 'great moment'?? I believe certainly not. But when that dunk (think Hill's dunk against Kansas) or that 3 (think Hurley's 3 against UNLV) carries a greater significance, one that can rank it as a 'history defining play', then that is truly -- by any Duke fan's definition -- a great moment in Duke Basketball. But if we begin to include all "amazing plays . . . and so on", we are simply degrading the meaning of "great moment".

My two cents!

Just to clarify, I pretty much agree with everything you say above.

Here's one I've debated with myself over...Gene Banks' amazing one handed posterization of no less than Ralph Sampson. That play is arguably the most amazing physical feat...it is certainly among the most amazing physical feats. And Banks is significant in that he was the first big time recruit post Bubas...so there's that historical piece.

But I'm pretty sure UVa killed Duke in that game, and that UVa team was better than that Duke team by a lot. That play is an example of the conundrum...extraordinary physical feat over a great player...yet almost zero consequence to Duke basketball history.

I think such a play could be left off, or included, in a list of 25, with justification. Anyway, it's a fun discussion.

sagegrouse
08-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Absolutely agree with this. The original poster mentioned doing a book, and not a video, so I suppose a book might open the discussion up to some of those "in retrospect" that was very important administrative decisions. That said, while I recognize the importance of all kinds of decisions...those things are not as fun to relive. Technically, there are no wrong answers.

The thing with the hiring decisions is how far back do you go? Who hired Bubas? But who hired who hired Bubas? Who hired who hired who hired Bubas? And on and on.

Eddie Cameron hired Bubas in 1959. Cameron, age 23, was hired at Duke in 1925 by Jimmy DeHart, who came to coach football at Duke from W&L, where Cameron was a player and coach. Eddie Cameron came to Duke before Wallace Wade, so I believe we have a complete answer.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Eddie Cameron hired Bubas in 1959. Cameron, age 23, was hired at Duke in 1925 by Jimmy DeHart, who came to coach football at Duke from W&L, where Cameron was a player and coach. Eddie Cameron came to Duke before Wallace Wade, so I believe we have a complete answer.

Thanks for that, but methinks you missed my point....which is the big moment in Duke history's top 25 in that sequence? That was what I was getting at, not a literal historical run down, which I knew existed.

NSDukeFan
08-12-2018, 02:10 PM
It might not be significant, historically , but I’m not sure I can remember a more fun moment than Nolan to Miles with Kyle roaring as he turns around in 82-50. I like it because of how much I enjoyed watching that team.

westwall
08-12-2018, 02:32 PM
Anyway, it's a fun discussion.

---- Agreed. And let the discussion continue !!

Tom B.
08-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Just to clarify, I pretty much agree with everything you say above.

Here's one I've debated with myself over...Gene Banks' amazing one handed posterization of no less than Ralph Sampson. That play is arguably the most amazing physical feat...it is certainly among the most amazing physical feats. And Banks is significant in that he was the first big time recruit post Bubas...so there's that historical piece.

But I'm pretty sure UVa killed Duke in that game, and that UVa team was better than that Duke team by a lot. That play is an example of the conundrum...extraordinary physical feat over a great player...yet almost zero consequence to Duke basketball history.

Virginia did win that game, but they didn't kill Duke. Virginia won by four, 73-69.

Box score: http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19800206

And that Virginia team wasn't "better than Duke by a lot." At the time, Duke was actually ranked higher (#10) than Virginia (#18). Duke would go to the NCAA Regional Final that year (beating #4 Kentucky in Rupp Arena along the way), while that Virginia team went to (and won) the NIT.

You may be thinking of the next year (1980-81), when Virginia was considerably better than Duke and did clobber Duke in Charlottesville. In fact, Virginia was ranked #1 in the country at the time, while Duke was unranked.

Box score: http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19810131