PDA

View Full Version : Last Chance U on Netflix

MartyClark
08-04-2018, 04:10 PM
I'm late to this show but have binge watched the first two seasons over the past month. As many of you know, this is a documentary about two football seasons at Eastern Mississippi Community College. It is the so called "Last Chance U" because they take high school kids, usually great athletes, who don't have the grades or discipline to get into a Division I program. They also take a number of high profile players who have been kicked out of Division I programs because of grades, attitude or off the field problems.

I found the show very compelling. I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was, at how immature, insular and academically challenged many of these players are. Their scholastic advisor, a 30'ish woman, is the star of the show. She has remarkable empathy for these kids and incredible patience with some of these young men who are very challenging.

There were two players that I was prepared to dislike, the former Florida State quarterback who punched a woman in a bar, and the Texas Tech linebacker who had been arrested for, I think, armed robbery. Both came across as decent but flawed guys trying to make amends for their terrible prior conduct.

They show has moved on to a new JUCO, in Independence, Kansas, with some of the same problems but I'm not yet drawn into these characters.

If any of you have watched this show, I welcome your thoughts

HereBeforeCoachK
08-04-2018, 05:25 PM
I have only seen the one season about the Juco in Kansas....and man, it was interesting, but that coach - turning around an impossible situation, is a piece of work. His f bombs kind of get numbing after a while.

I have not watched the seasons about the Mississippi school yet...somehow I got started on season 3....and I would love your thoughts on 3.

MartyClark
08-05-2018, 07:52 PM
I have only seen the one season about the Juco in Kansas...and man, it was interesting, but that coach - turning around an impossible situation, is a piece of work. His f bombs kind of get numbing after a while.

I have not watched the seasons about the Mississippi school yet...somehow I got started on season 3...and I would love your thoughts on 3.

I'm half way through Season 3, I enjoy it but liked the first two seasons better.

The amount of cussing by the players and the coaches is pretty disturbing. The use of the "N" word by the players is also offsetting. I feel like I am being exposed to a world that I don't live in. It's interesting to see the detours into a players past and what difficult circumstances some of them have endured. It's also interesting to see how many of them have a strong mother and/or father behind them.