PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 8-2-18

jimsumner
08-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Duke opened practice today and followed with a truncated press opportunity.

Still, gleaned a few tidbits.

Cut liked the effort but not the execution. Not unexpected for opening day.

Thought the secondary gave up a few too many long plays.

Of course, that suggests the Duke receivers were making long plays.

Jeremy McDuffie is "limited" but did practice today. Since, he's a veteran, Duke is letting him monitor his recovery. Duke still expects him to be ready to go in the opener.

Cut said that Joe Giles-Harris looked better today than at anytime last year. Stronger and faster.

Yikes!! JGH was an All-America last year.

FWIW, Ben Humphreys agree with Cut on this. Humphreys is 100 percent and told us that he was still nervous before today's first practice.
So, you can imagine what it's like for a freshman.

Humphreys told us to look out for some wrinkles on defense this season. He said this with a twinkle in his eye. But he's one of those folks who usually has a twinkle in his eye, so maybe he's messing with us, maybe not.

But the 4-2-5 is still the core defense,

Duke worked Michael Carter some at corner. Permanent move? TBD. But it does suggest that the competition for starting corner is ongoing.

The new redshirt rules? Duke not changing anything right now. The emphasis is still on determining which freshmen can contribute all season. As the season progresses and injuries start adding up, Duke expects to take advantage of the new rule.

Matt Guerrieri will call the plays for the defense this season.

How did Jack Wohlabaugh become eligible? No magic formula. The NCAA is just loosening up in that area. Wohlabaugh could play some guard this year.

A note on notes. We might change it up this season, move this from a post into an article, maybe spread it out. Still working out the details.

devildeac
08-02-2018, 11:59 AM

Jeremy McDuffie is "limited" but did practice today. Since, he's a veteran, Duke is letting him monitor his recovery. Duke still expects him to be ready to go in the opener.

Cut said that Joe Giles-Harris looked better today than at anytime last year. Stronger and faster.

FWIW, Ben Humphreys agree with Cut on this. Humphreys is 100 percent and told us that he was still nervous before today's first practice.

Humphreys told us to look out for some wrinkles on defense this season. He said this with a twinkle in his eye. But he's one of those folks who usually has a twinkle in his eye, so maybe he's messing with us, maybe not.

Duke worked Michael Carter some at corner. Permanent move? TBD. But it does suggest that the competition for starting corner is ongoing.

The new redshirt rules? Duke not changing anything right now. The emphasis is still on determining which freshmen can contribute all season. As the season progresses and injuries start adding up, Duke expects to take advantage of the new rule.

How did Jack Wohlabaugh become eligible? No magic formula. The NCAA is just loosening up in that area. Wohlabaugh could play some guard this year.

A note on notes. We might change it up this season, move this from a post into an article, maybe spread it out. Still working out the details.

Always brings a smile to my face to start seeing football notes/posts for the year. I'm happy to read a thread/post/article, however you want to contribute, Jim. Thanks!!

Bob Green
08-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Jim. Your notes are pure gold!

That is great news to read. The defense has the potential to be dominate with linebacker play leading the way.

Competition is a good thing! The second cornerback is an unknown so the more options available the better the situation.

As I stated, your notes are pure gold so however they are presented I'm going to eat them up.

uh_no
08-02-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks jim, as always.

One of the big storylines last year was the offensive play-calling situation and how it developed over the course of the season. Has there been any feeling how this will be handled moving forward, or is it something that the program has largely kept to themselves.

jimsumner
08-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Thanks jim, as always.

One of the big storylines last year was the offensive play-calling situation and how it developed over the course of the season. Has there been any feeling how this will be handled moving forward, or is it something that the program has largely kept to themselves.

I think there was/is a general understanding that Roper is still learning and improving.

I think Jones's secret rib injury also impacted the play calling.

I hope Duke's young defensive play caller has a smoother learning curve.

OldPhiKap
08-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Yay!!!! Jimsumner and football notes are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This made my day.

Acymetric
08-02-2018, 01:53 PM
I think there was/is a general understanding that Roper is still learning and improving.

I was just a tad surprised that Guerrieri will be calling plays, my money would have been on Albert. In any case, I look forward to seeing how the defense thing plays itself out, we are certainly set up to have a legitimately great defense this year.

BLPOG
08-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Yay!!!! Jimsumner and football notes are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This made my day.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-02-2018, 03:26 PM

Rib injury? I don't remember hearing what his injury was before now!

And yes, let's hope that Mr. Roper has learned and has improved, and keeps doing so quickly.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Thanks as always Jim!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

HereBeforeCoachK
08-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Rib injury? I don't remember hearing what his injury was before now!

All we heard up til now was that the injury was worse than people knew.....
And you gotta know that a rib injury hurts throwing, running, even turning of your head....Duke must develop a back up QB who is better than Daniel Jones at sub 50%

uh_no
08-02-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the update. As rough as those winnable games were, beating carolina and winning a bowl game trumps all. (but man it hurts looking back at some of those game scores)

Happy to have Daniel back at full strength. We're undefeated again :)

peloton
08-02-2018, 07:43 PM
Thanks Jim as always for your football notes - lots of interesting stuff that we rabid Duke football fans wouldn't be aware of otherwise. Between you, Bob Green, and (now) Steve Wiseman, I'm even more psyched for the start of football than usual (and that's saying something)!

cato
08-02-2018, 08:06 PM

If you publish on the main site, can you also put the notes up here? I’ll read them there, but I value the discussion here afterwards.

OldPhiKap
08-02-2018, 08:12 PM
If you publish on the main site, can you also put the notes up here? I’ll read them there, but I value the discussion here afterwards.

FWIW, I rarely check the front page (sorry, Julio). If there is something I need to know, it’s on the EK or OT board.

dukejim1
08-02-2018, 09:36 PM
I was just a tad surprised that Guerrieri will be calling plays, my money would have been on Albert. In any case, I look forward to seeing how the defense thing plays itself out, we are certainly set up to have a legitimately great defense this year.

I would expect Coach G's experience in the box contributed to that decision and Coach Albert can use his motivational and communication skills on the sideline. Time will tell how co-coordinators work, not a big fan but Cut is probably one of best to manage it.

du_bb1
08-02-2018, 09:54 PM
closer to fall and football is in the air--Thanks for all the info Jim

loran16
08-03-2018, 12:08 AM
FWIW, I rarely check the front page (sorry, Julio). If there is something I need to know, it’s on the EK or OT board.

I third this suggestion. And glad to see the notes back again, can't wait for the opener.

Avvocato
08-03-2018, 12:47 AM

Jim - Thanks, as always. Very grateful for any notes and insight you provide.

I was most intrigued by the above. Many have wondered how this would go. I have been wondering how makes the call on 3rd and 7 whether to blitz or play more coverage. Now we know. Looking forward to seeing this play out.

swiseman
08-03-2018, 02:20 PM

In light of this comment, here's a link to our story on the first day of practice. Cut promised some pointed conversations with the pass catchers (or better yet, supposed pass catchers). Improvement is needed. Again.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article215591105.html

OldPhiKap
08-03-2018, 02:41 PM
In light of this comment, here's a link to our story on the first day of practice. Cut promised some pointed conversations with the pass catchers (or better yet, supposed pass catchers). Improvement is needed. Again.

Thanks for linking it here, too! (And enjoying your articles on twitter too, which is nice because I am not in the Triangle area anymore).

Again, nothing against the front page. I have the EK board bookmarked, and usually forget to check the front page.

swiseman
08-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Thanks for linking it here, too! (And enjoying your articles on twitter too, which is nice because I am not in the Triangle area anymore).

Again, nothing against the front page. I have the EK board bookmarked, and usually forget to check the front page.

Just making sure my bases are covered. Thanks for reading.

Another tidbit: Austin Parker added to Ray Guy Award watch list (top punter).

jimsumner
08-03-2018, 06:16 PM

There was an interesting part of that conversation. Cut said something along the lines of "Daniel and the receivers need to get on the same page" and almost instantly amended that to "the receivers need to get on the same page with Daniel."

Probably a subtext there.

I'm very much hoping that Coach Parker is a wide-receiver-coach upgrade. I would add that a couple of players told me that Parker wants to take more shots downfield. Hopefully, he can convince Roper of that.

jafarr1
08-03-2018, 07:14 PM
^ Subtext or not, it's disappointing that one of this season's first concerns is one of the concerns that hurt us pretty much all of last season.

chrishoke
08-03-2018, 09:18 PM
I'm very much hoping that Coach Parker is a wide-receiver-coach upgrade. I would add that a couple of players told me that Parker wants to take more shots downfield. Hopefully, he can convince Roper of that.

IMHO, calling downfield plays has not been the problem - executing the ones called has been.

jimsumner
08-03-2018, 09:43 PM
IMHO, calling downfield plays has not been the problem - executing the ones called has been.

Jones's rib problems resulted in fewer long passes. It takes longer for a deep pattern to develop, which means the blockers have to protect the QB for longer, which means the QB takes more hits as he's releasing the pass.

Not good for a QB with hurting ribs.

FWIW, redshirt freshman Damond Philyaw-Johnson could be a wildcard here. He's a burner. I expect him to crack the WR rotation and become a deep threat.

Scorp4me
08-03-2018, 10:05 PM
I get that Jone's injury probably effected his effectiveness. What I don't understand is that with a non-disclosed injury they seemed to put more on his shoulders instead of taking advantage of our other offensive assets. Just never jived for me. Hopefully it won't matter this year!

jimsumner
08-03-2018, 11:39 PM
I get that Jone's injury probably effected his effectiveness. What I don't understand is that with a non-disclosed injury they seemed to put more on his shoulders instead of taking advantage of our other offensive assets. Just never jived for me. Hopefully it won't matter this year!

Duke actually tried to reduce Jones's responsibilities, calling fewer run-pass options and throwing quick passes to the running backs and tight ends. Think of how many quick passes Duke made to Rahming at the line of scrimmage. Reduces Jones's risk.

Rahming and Lloyd were two best wide receivers last season. But both are possession receivers. Chris Taylor has home-run speed but he's had trouble staying healthy. Helm and Koppenhaver are good intermediate-route receivers at tight end but neither is a long threat.

Philyaw-Johnson, Scott Bracey (remember him?), Keyston Fuller, maybe one of the true freshmen. Duke needs to put more deep threats onto the field and maybe they can start to spread the field. But these guys have to be able to block, run precise routes, break containment and catch the football.

It's not just a track meet. That's where I hope Gerad Parker will prove his worth.

Avvocato
08-04-2018, 12:11 AM

Thanks. Though it’s the first practice, still troubling. When you have a 3rd year starting QB, and three senior wide receivers starting, you shouldn’t be on different pages when throwing against air. Hopefully, just first practice issues. Hopefully.

Bob Green
08-04-2018, 07:09 AM
FWIW, redshirt freshman Damond Philyaw-Johnson could be a wildcard here. He's a burner. I expect him to crack the WR rotation and become a deep threat.

That's good to hear. If opponents have to contend with a legitimate deep threat, it will really open up the underneath passing routes as well as the running game.

budwom
08-04-2018, 08:09 AM

Amen to that. Attending the games last year, I'd watch the WRs run their routes and they were generally HORRIBLE at getting separation...you can call all the deep plays you want, if guys don't have the speed and/or skill to get open, it's not going to bear much fruit. As for Parker and improvement, we soon shall see, Army and NW games will be early barometers.

revmel53
08-04-2018, 08:48 AM
Duke actually tried to reduce Jones's responsibilities, calling fewer run-pass options and throwing quick passes to the running backs and tight ends. Think of how many quick passes Duke made to Rahming at the line of scrimmage. Reduces Jones's risk.

Rahming and Lloyd were two best wide receivers last season. But both are possession receivers. Chris Taylor has home-run speed but he's had trouble staying healthy. Helm and Koppenhaver are good intermediate-route receivers at tight end but neither is a long threat.

Philyaw-Johnson, Scott Bracey (remember him?), Keyston Fuller, maybe one of the true freshmen. Duke needs to put more deep threats onto the field and maybe they can start to spread the field. But these guys have to be able to block, run precise routes, break containment and catch the football.

It's not just a track meet. That's where I hope Gerad Parker will prove his worth.

What's going on with Scott Bracey. He was an exciting recruit several years ago, quite a "get." But he hasn't produced. Is it injuries, lack of passion, or what?

budwom
08-04-2018, 10:22 AM
^ injuries first year, out of shape early in the second...can't seem to get separation any better than the other guys...maybe this year?

Newton_14
08-04-2018, 10:52 AM
^ Subtext or not, it's disappointing that one of this season's first concerns is one of the concerns that hurt us pretty much all of last season.

I fully agree. Our weakest position last season was wide receiver. That alone prevented us from being a 9/10 win team. It remains my biggest concern heading into this season.

PS> A day late and a dollar short like always, so forgive me, but welcome Steve Wiseman. It's very nice to have you as a contributing member of this community.

chrishoke
08-04-2018, 11:53 AM
^ injuries first year, out of shape early in the second...can't seem to get separation any better than the other guys...maybe this year?

I'm no expert, but I have never seen Bracy show even a hint of being a dynamic threat. He has to my eyes looked like nothing more than an average possession receiver. After seeing him this long, it's hard to have much hope.

budwom
08-04-2018, 12:09 PM
I'm no expert, but I have never seen Bracy show even a hint of being a dynamic threat. He has to my eyes looked like nothing more than an average possession receiver. After seeing him this long, it's hard to have much hope.

I can't argue with that, he's looked extremely unimpressive. Let's hope he has a couple of unused gears...

HereBeforeCoachK
08-04-2018, 02:09 PM
That's good to hear. If opponents have to contend with a legitimate deep threat, it will really open up the underneath passing routes as well as the running game.

AMEN...and a deep threat can open up an offense even if you don't complete a bomb...if you can prove you have someone who can get deep, and protect your QB, AND ARE WILLING TO CALL IT, your deep threat will have to be taken seriously - and that will open up literally every other facet of your offense.

And frankly, an intercepted 50 yard pass is not really a problem most of the time...and on third down it's merely a really good punt. I am a big believer in the vertical game taking the top off a defense, with or without completed TD bombs. But of course, i really liked Boone to Crowder for TDs!

jimsumner
08-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Hitting a deep ball on first down is a great call.

Miss it on first down and your offense is in a hole and ends up punting.

So, it's a bad call.

Depends on the execution.

Many of us felt that Roper's play calling got better down the stretch. But that corresponded with Jones getting healthy.

So, is it execution or schemes?

Yes.

As an aside, let's not draw too many over-arching conclusions regarding the wide receivers based on a few Cut quotes after the first practice of the fall. It's a pretty small sample size.

Acymetric
08-04-2018, 05:42 PM

So, it's a bad call.

Depends on the execution.

Many of us felt that Roper's play calling got better down the stretch. But that corresponded with Jones getting healthy.

So, is it execution or schemes?

Yes.

As an aside, let's not draw too many over-arching conclusions regarding the wide receivers based on a few Cut quotes after the first practice of the fall. It's a pretty small sample size.

I may be mis-remembering, but it seems like Cut took a more active role in offensive decision making sometime in the back half of the year, which will update also explain the improved play calling down the stretch.

OldPhiKap
08-04-2018, 06:55 PM
I may be mis-remembering, but it seems like Cut took a more active role in offensive decision making sometime in the back half of the year, which will update also explain the improved play calling down the stretch.

That was my understanding too.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-04-2018, 07:32 PM

So, it's a bad call.

WHOA...I'm gonna disagree with Jim...maybe a first. Well, just a partial disagreement. I think a nearly complete deep ball on first down will absolutely stretch the defense out for second and third downs...and is actually better than say a 2 yard run - or less - on first down. That said, a poorly executed deep ball attempt, or a sack, won't help anything. The deep ball threat has to be credible for it to have any impact, let alone to result in large plays.

budwom
08-05-2018, 07:20 AM
WHOA...I'm gonna disagree with Jim...maybe a first. Well, just a partial disagreement. I think a nearly complete deep ball on first down will absolutely stretch the defense out for second and third downs...and is actually better than say a 2 yard run - or less - on first down. That said, a poorly executed deep ball attempt, or a sack, won't help anything. The deep ball threat has to be credible for it to have any impact, let alone to result in large plays.

yeah, if you can get a guy reasonably open, why not give it a try? But that's been the hard part for this WR group, getting separation. If we can't do that, we should go to more two (or three) tight end sets as we did late in the season...if separation is an issue, throw to a 6-4, 245 lb guy like Koppenhaver, Helm and Gray..we simply (at least until now) have a lot more TE talent than WR talent...hopefully the WRs improve.

OldPhiKap
08-05-2018, 07:46 AM

I take Jim’s point to be that 2nd and 10 sucks. You like to pick up 3-5 yards on first down, because then the whole playbook is open. So when the first down bomb doesn’t work, you’re in a tough spot because you ran a lower probability play on first Instead of a “more reliable” play.

Second and five will always spread the defense too.

budwom
08-05-2018, 10:14 AM
I take Jim’s point to be that 2nd and 10 sucks. You like to pick up 3-5 yards on first down, because then the whole playbook is open. So when the first down bomb doesn’t work, you’re in a tough spot because you ran a lower probability play on first Instead of a “more reliable” play.

Second and five will always spread the defense too.

Everything I guess is situational. I can tell you this, and you can see it for yourself if you go to the games...just watch our wide receivers...only Rahming gets the least respect on deep balls, cornerbacks repeatedly jam our receivers...IF (that's the situation) we could get some guys well open, taking a shot on first down would be fine...to your point, we just don't spread the defense much because our wide receivers don't command much respect.
Hopefully this changes.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-05-2018, 01:37 PM

Oh that is Jim's point, and as I stated, I do agree in part, for just that reason...it's that I also disagree, a little bit, in part. The idea of 5 yards on first down is not really what I'm talking about here. Of course that's a lot better than second and ten, but that's not the hypothetical I was comparing.

We had a lot of zero to two yard runs last year on first down, or so it seems, and my point is that I think second and ten after you've just barely missed on a deep throw gives you a more open defense on second and ten - than if you gained 1-2 yards on the ground - and face second and 8,9, etc. That's my comparison.

All to say that a team that can reliably ground out 5 on first down on the ground, even when the D knows what is coming. has all kinds of advantages. I don't see Duke as that team. Now last year they couldn't scare anyone going deep either. How much is the receivers not able to get deep, and how much is it opponents knowing Duke won't call the deep ball? Either way, Duke scared no one last year with a deep threat.

The willingness and ability to go vertical helps everything else if you can at least scare em. Unpredictability also helps your chances. Take 3rd and 7. How many times in the past several seasons have we seen Duke throw a 3-4 yard pass on third and 6,7,8? A ton. Why? Third and 7 is fantastic time to go deep. The D will crowd the first down markers. And if it's intercepted, probably better than your punter would do anyway the next play after you completed a 3 yard pass. Risk reward favors the vertical game in a lot of ways.

Bob Green
08-05-2018, 01:54 PM
We had a lot of zero to two yard runs last year on first down, or so it seems, and my point is that I think second and ten after you've just barely missed on a deep throw gives you a more open defense on second and ten - than if you gained 1-2 yards on the ground - and face second and 8,9, etc. That's my comparison.

Your hypothetical doesn't hold water. With the offense facing 2nd and 10 after a failed deep throw on 1st down, the defense is going to do the opposite of what you state, it will tighten up not open up.

The conventional play is to stay ahead of the chains by gaining 5+ yards on 1st down and take your shot downfield on 2nd down. A miscue results in 3rd and manageable which is better than 2nd and 10. Of course, the offensive coordinator has to mix up the play calling to keep the defense off balance.

budwom
08-05-2018, 02:59 PM
possible (hopefully not horvathian) good news seems to be some of the frosh receivers are doing well...they have good size, we soon shall see what they can add to the soup.

jimsumner
08-05-2018, 04:16 PM
It's a good call if it works, a bad call if it doesn't.

My point is sometimes execution trumps scheme.

That's an over-simplification, of course. A coordinator's job is to put his players into position to succeed. That involves taking his talent, the opponent's talent, down and distance, time and score, who's hot, who's not, what you worked on in practice, and other variables, mix them into a stew and make a very quick decision that has to be communicated to a bunch of people in a hurry against an opposing coordinator who's doing exactly the same thing.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Doesn't mean there haven't been some head-scratchers. I still remember Duke throwing a jump ball in the end zone to 5-8 T.J. Rahming on the last play of the game against FSU. In what universe does that make sense?

I think Cut's influence late last season came more in practices than games, emphasizing some stuff that was working, while deep-sixing some stuff that wasn't.

And I agree with buddy womble that multiple tight-end sets should be a big part of the offense. I talked to Roper last week and he went out of his way to mention Jake Marwede, a redshirt freshman tight end. Add him to Helm, Koppenhaver, Gray, maybe Mark Birmingham, and that's a lot of tight-end-talent to only be playing one at a time. Have one of these guys being guarded by a 205-pound safety and that seems like an exploitable mismatch.

Speaking of that Roper interview, he also went out of his way to mention the true freshmen wide receivers and "talent beats experience," and so forth.

Now, this was before the first practice and none of the true freshman enrolled early, so Roper didn't have much first-hand knowledge, although he presumably has a lot of second-hand data. But I suspect he was parroting a message being given to the veterans. We can and should be better and don't think you're grandfathered into PT.

richmclean
08-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Wish we had a Like thing cuz Jim is on it. As usual.

swiseman
08-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Duke had its first practice in full pads today. Cut met with a couple of other reporters and I after practice. I'm working on a couple of other stories but wanted to put this out there. He is pleased with how the passing game -- specifically the receivers -- responded to his criticism from Thursday. He said the staff and players did "a lot of correcting."

"One thing that was outstanding today, that I mentioned negatively after the first day, was our throwing and route running and catching," Cutcliffe said. "It was as good as its been as far as everybody being on the same page. Receivers, tight ends as well as running backs. And the quarterbacks threw the ball exceptionally well."

I reference to Jim's post about young receivers, they are doing some impressive work. Guys like Jake Bobo, Dennis Smith and Jarrett Garner. I'm looking forward to Saturday night's scrimmage. It's the best chance for a beat writer to assess where the team is up and down the depth chart.

devildeac
08-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Duke had its first practice in full pads today. Cut met with a couple of other reporters and I after practice. I'm working on a couple of other stories but wanted to put this out there. He is pleased with how the passing game -- specifically the receivers -- responded to his criticism from Thursday. He said the staff and players did "a lot of correcting."

"One thing that was outstanding today, that I mentioned negatively after the first day, was our throwing and route running and catching," Cutcliffe said. "It was as good as its been as far as everybody being on the same page. Receivers, tight ends as well as running backs. And the quarterbacks threw the ball exceptionally well."

I reference to Jim's post about young receivers, they are doing some impressive work. Guys like Jake Bobo, Dennis Smith and Jarrett Garner. I'm looking forward to Saturday night's scrimmage. It's the best chance for a beat writer to assess where the team is up and down the depth chart.

Thank you again for keeping us well-fed with these updates!!

Sounds encouraging.

CameronBornAndBred
08-06-2018, 02:14 PM
And the quarterbacks threw the ball exceptionally well."

Possibly my favorite plural.

swiseman
08-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Thank you again for keeping us well-fed with these updates!!

Sounds encouraging.

Glad to do it. And since I mentioned I was working on a couple of other stories, here is one that looks at the defensive backfield in light of Michael Carter II moving to CB.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article215766700.html

devildeac
08-06-2018, 11:22 PM
Glad to do it. And since I mentioned I was working on a couple of other stories, here is one that looks at the defensive backfield in light of Michael Carter II moving to CB.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article215766700.html

Interesting change-for the positive, too. I continue to look forward to your coverage of the summer practices and am really getting excited about the home opener vs Army on August 31.

Devil549
08-07-2018, 11:49 AM
In Cut I trust.....really sounding like we have some depth now let's prove it on the field.

As much as Coach Cut has improved the program at Duke the ability he and his staff have improved the defense has been very impressive maybe the most impressive aspect of the program's growth.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-07-2018, 01:30 PM
As much as Coach Cut has improved the program at Duke the ability he and his staff have improved the defense has been very impressive maybe the most impressive aspect of the program's growth.

Dittos ^^^ - and that's not how we expected this to unfold either. But it has been impressive.

Bob Green
08-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Coach Cutcliffe on Mark Gilbert:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211767116&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Bob Green
08-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Coach Cutcliffe on Co-Defensive Coordinators:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6283579

Two is better than one.

swiseman
08-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Some team tidbits from Cutcliffe, who held a conference call with us reporter-types today...

Headliner is that Trevon McSwain is working as an OFFENSIVE tackle in practice this week. Cut said he's yet to decide if move is permanent but he said he likes what he sees so far. Duke is light at offensive tackle and deep at defensive tackle, so that's the logic. Christian Harris and Robert Kraeling are the starting tackles. McSwain is working on the left side behind Harris. McSwain has this year and next to still play at Duke so he could be a solid reserve this season and start in 2019 after Harris' eligibility is exhausted.

Note: I'm working on a longer piece about the O-line. I'll share link when it is posted at newsobserver.com and heraldsun.com.

At defensive tackle, Cut said Derrick Tangelo and Axel Nyembwe have played well enough that moving McSwain made sense. He also likes what he's seen from Ben Frye at DT and DE. Also Twazanga Mugala at both of those positions. Duke has talent, depth and flexibility along the defensive line. I don't traffic in fake news, folks. That's really true.

On special teams, Collin Wareham is the place kicker, Jackson Hubbard the punter and Jack Driggers the kickoff man at this point. Austin Parker is punting well but has yet to unseat Hubbard. Cut said he was "real pleased with that group" which, given Duke's performances there the last two years, sounds like progress. Or maybe it's good compared to the last two years, which wouldn't really be special.

Jeremy McDuffie is full speed and, as had been indicated before practice started, looks like he'll be ready to for the Army game on Aug. 31.

devildeac
08-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Some team tidbits from Cutcliffe, who held a conference call with us reporter-types today...

Headliner is that Trevon McSwain is working as an OFFENSIVE tackle in practice this week. Cut said he's yet to decide if move is permanent but he said he likes what he sees so far. Duke is light at offensive tackle and deep at defensive tackle, so that's the logic. Christian Harris and Robert Kraeling are the starting tackles. McSwain is working on the left side behind Harris. McSwain has this year and next to still play at Duke so he could be a solid reserve this season and start in 2019 after Harris' eligibility is exhausted.

Note: I'm working on a longer piece about the O-line. I'll share link when it is posted at newsobserver.com and heraldsun.com.

At defensive tackle, Cut said Derrick Tangelo and Axel Nyembwe have played well enough that moving McSwain made sense. He also likes what he's seen from Ben Frye at DT and DE. Also Twazanga Mugala at both of those positions. Duke has talent, depth and flexibility along the defensive line. I don't traffic in fake news, folks. That's really true.

On special teams, Collin Wareham is the place kicker, Jackson Hubbard the punter and Jack Driggers the kickoff man at this point. Austin Parker is punting well but has yet to unseat Hubbard. Cut said he was "real pleased with that group" which, given Duke's performances there the last two years, sounds like progress. Or maybe it's good compared to the last two years, which wouldn't really be special.

Jeremy McDuffie is full speed and, as had been indicated before practice started, looks like he'll be ready to for the Army game on Aug. 31.

Great stuff again, Steve! Thanks again for sharing that info and we'll look forward to more details when you post the article.

Bob Green
08-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Jackson Hubbard the punter...Austin Parker is punting well but has yet to unseat Hubbard.

:confused:

This is alarming news. Jackson Hubbard looked absolutely HORRIBLE punting in the Spring Showcase. No exaggeration on my part. I'm telling myself Coach Cutcliffe is keeping Hubbard #1 to keep the pressure on Parker to work harder than ever.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-09-2018, 07:27 PM
yeah, if you can get a guy reasonably open, why not give it a try? But that's been the hard part for this WR group, getting separation. If we can't do that, we should go to more two (or three) tight end sets as we did late in the season...if separation is an issue, throw to a 6-4, 245 lb guy like Koppenhaver, Helm and Gray..we simply (at least until now) have a lot more TE talent than WR talent...hopefully the WRs improve.

I also like the idea of multiple tight ends....Steve Logan said last year that Duke's offense was much better with two TE alignment, running and passing. FWIW...Logan knows offense.

budwom
08-10-2018, 07:53 AM
I also like the idea of multiple tight ends...Steve Logan said last year that Duke's offense was much better with two TE alignment, running and passing. FWIW...Logan knows offense.

We have unusual depth at TE, and a WR group (up to this point) that has not distinguished itself. Koppenhaver, Helm and Gray are all guys who can catch the ball, and Marwede and Birmingham seem to be terrific talents as well...there just seems to be no point to repeatedly throwing to guys who aren't open as we did last year during The Skid. New year, new WR coach, hopefully we find guys who can catch the ball, be they WRs or TEs.

Bob Green
08-11-2018, 08:23 AM
I'm looking forward to Saturday night's scrimmage. It's the best chance for a beat writer to assess where the team is up and down the depth chart.

Are any details available on tonight's scrimmage such as how many plays? What time? I'm looking forward to hearing reports from the media members who attend.

jimsumner
08-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Are any details available on tonight's scrimmage such as how many plays? What time? I'm looking forward to hearing reports from the media members who attend.

The biggest question is location. It rains every afternoon at six, so there's a good chance it moves inside, which is sub-optimal. But better than scrimmaging in a thunderstorm.

But Duke tends to keep these things situational.

peloton
08-12-2018, 12:50 AM
Speaking of tonight's (okay, last night's at this point) scrimmage, I highly recommend checking out the video on WRAL's website of Cut's meeting with the press afterwards. It's a little more than 8 mins long and very informative. It sounds like he was pretty pleased with the offense which was reassuring to hear...especially after his comments earlier in regard to the receivers and QBs needing to be on the same page. In short, freshmen WR Jake Bobo and Marvin Hubbard were impressive. In particular, I'm really excited about the prospect of 6'4" Bobo being able to contribute his first season in a Blue Devil uniform. Cut said he's got good hands and is a playmaker (okay, the latter may be a cliche but we can definitely use a wide receiver with the former.)

Of course, the defense can't be overlooked as will hopefully be (consistently) proven this upcoming season. Coach Cut singled out (no surprise) Mark Gilbert who had an INT. I've got to say, I'm not sure how much more excited I can be about the Army game. Tickets bought...wife(!) and both sons going...televised night game...yeah, I'm ready :D.

Avvocato
08-12-2018, 01:34 AM
The biggest question is location. It rains every afternoon at six, so there's a good chance it moves inside, which is sub-optimal. But better than scrimmaging in a thunderstorm.

But Duke tends to keep these things situational.

Jim - Great summary of the scrimmage on the front page. Much appreciated. Very surprised McSwain was moved to offensive line. I think that says a lot about our depth on the defensive line. Regarding the passing offense, it’s great to hear, but we’ll see when the real lights go on. I love what I heard, but we’ll see. It would be great if Bobo is ready to step in right away. A 6’4” receiver with hands, toughness and an ability to make plays sounds like what the doctor ordered. Sounds like we have the pieces/depth to challenge for the Coastal. Can’t wait for the Army opener.

One caveat to my excitement above is that it sounds like you are not confident in any of the backup quarterbacks. Hopefully we don’t have to find out if any are ready to step in.

Thanks again.

Bob Green
08-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Several interesting comments in Jim's scrimmage recap (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/8/12/17680188/a-look-at-dukes-football-scrimmage-acc-cutcliffe) with this one standing out to me:

There’s no question that Duke not only has ACC-level talent but next-level talent and quality depth across the board.

Football season is long and depth is critical when injuries take place. Not if, when.

OldPhiKap
08-12-2018, 06:59 AM
Jim - Great summary of the scrimmage on the front page. Much appreciated. Very surprised McSwain was moved to offensive line. I think that says a lot about our depth on the defensive line. Regarding the passing offense, it’s great to hear, but we’ll see when the real lights go on. I love what I heard, but we’ll see. It would be great if Bobo is ready to step in right away. A 6’4” receiver with hands, toughness and an ability to make plays sounds like what the doctor ordered. Sounds like we have the pieces/depth to challenge for the Coastal. Can’t wait for the Army opener.

One caveat to my excitement above is that it sounds like you are not confident in any of the backup quarterbacks. Hopefully we don’t have to find out if any are ready to step in.

Thanks again.

Several interesting comments in Jim's scrimmage recap (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/8/12/17680188/a-look-at-dukes-football-scrimmage-acc-cutcliffe) with this one standing out to me:

Football season is long and depth is critical when injuries take place. Not if, when.

Thanks Jim for an excellent report, and thank y’all for letting me know it’s on the front page. I forget to look more often than not.

chrishoke
08-12-2018, 07:48 AM
From GoDuke -
"Placekickers Collin Wareham and AJ Reed combined to make all nine of their field goal attempts. Wareham, working with the first unit, was successful from 23, 31, 32, 39, 40 and 45 yards while Reed connected from 36, 37 and 46 yards away."

Promising.

devildeac
08-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Great summary of the scrimmage, Jim. Totally worth a read and a re-read. Thanks!

OldPhiKap
08-12-2018, 08:25 AM
From GoDuke -
"Placekickers Collin Wareham and AJ Reed combined to make all nine of their field goal attempts. Wareham, working with the first unit, was successful from 23, 31, 32, 39, 40 and 45 yards while Reed connected from 36, 37 and 46 yards away."

Promising.

Nice!!!

Bob Green
08-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Jim, i/r/t Jake Bobo:

Bobo had four catches, for 93 yards, mostly tough, contested catches in traffic.

Cutcliffe said he wanted more receivers who could win “hand-to-hand-combat” with defensive backs and Bobo is that guy and more.

Not only will Bobo be in the wide-receiver rotation, he could easily start.

He was that impressive.

Was he with the 1s against the 2 defense or with the 2s against the 1 defense when he made his catches? Either way is impressive. I'm just trying to get a feel for how close Bobo is to cracking the starting line-up.

du_bb1
08-12-2018, 08:54 AM
great info, thanks Jim---31st not here yet !

OZZIE4DUKE
08-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Great to read your report, Jim. With you and Steve W as insiders reporting here, it almost feels like we’re there watching ourselves! LGD GTHc.

peloton
08-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Excellent article on the scrimmage, Jim; as always, thanks for providing your insight and observations.

From GoDuke -

Promising.
Nice!!!

Yes...let's hope this bodes well! With all the positive news re:the scrimmage from Jim and Coach Cut himself, it's hard for us fans to not be overly optimistic. Wait, is that even possible? Paging DBR's resident (and eternal) optimist! :rolleyes:.

Faison1
08-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Wasn't Steve Wiseman at the game? I kinda expected to see an article from him.

swiseman
08-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Wasn't Steve Wiseman at the game? I kinda expected to see an article from him.

I certainly was. Here is the link with my words and Chuck Liddy's photos. We'll add some video interviews once they are processed too

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article215765670.html

Bob Green
08-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the link, Steve. No mention of receivers Scott Bracey and Aaron Young from either you or Jim. Did they play?

swiseman
08-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the link, Steve. No mention of receivers Scott Bracey and Aaron Young from either you or Jim. Did they play?

Yes. They played. That's it. Nothing special. Young was with first team O on some plays. Bracey with the reserves.

Elsewhere in the receiving corps, Keyston Fuller caught a touchdown pass from Harris but drew a penalty for taunting/excessive celebration on his way to the end zone. He later muffed a punt return. Two steps forward, three steps back.

chrishoke
08-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Really disappointing re Bracey.

devildeac
08-12-2018, 02:02 PM
I certainly was. Here is the link with my words and Chuck Liddy's photos. We'll add some video interviews once they are processed too

More great info. Thanks again, Steve!

swiseman
08-12-2018, 02:18 PM
More great info. Thanks again, Steve!

Thank you. Most importantly, thanks for reading.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Thank you. Most importantly, thanks for reading.
Steve, we really appreciate members of the media who post here. If you get the chance on the 31st, please join us - True Blue ‘Cue Crew - in Blue Devil Alley at our tailgate! We’ll be there both before and after the games all season long! Cameronbornandbred, devildeac, BobGreen and I will all be there. LGD GTHc!

By the way, Bill Brill was a regular! We miss him.

OldPhiKap
08-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Steve, we really appreciate members of the media who post here. If you get the chance on the 31st, please join us - True Blue ‘Cue Crew - in Blue Devil Alley at our tailgate! We’ll be there both before and after the games all season long! Cameronbornandbred, devildeac, BobGreen and I will all be there. LGD GTHc!

The first time I met Bill Brill at DiBD’s tent, he had a huge “9F” button.

My kind of guy.

(Enjoy the tailgates, I’m planning on hitting @GT and @Clemson this season so not sure if I’ll get to Dur’m).

Listen to Quants
08-12-2018, 05:57 PM
If anybody wants to satisfy my curiosity, I'd appreciate info on who

From Jim S.'s write up:
"Deon Jackson pounded for 80 yards on 13 carries but redshirt freshman Marvin Hubbard III opened some eyes, with 75 yards on 16 carries. "

they played with and against. If they were running behind the 2nd OL vs the 1st team D those are impressive numbers. If reversed, less impressive.

jimsumner
08-12-2018, 06:57 PM
If anybody wants to satisfy my curiosity, I'd appreciate info on who

From Jim S.'s write up:
"Deon Jackson pounded for 80 yards on 13 carries but redshirt freshman Marvin Hubbard III opened some eyes, with 75 yards on 16 carries. "

they played with and against. If they were running behind the 2nd OL vs the 1st team D those are impressive numbers. If reversed, less impressive.

Jackson played with the first team. Hubbard also but he may have had a few snaps with the 2s. There was some fluidity.

And Duke's second-team line is probably about as good as its first-team. It's a pretty deep unit.

In addition to the obvious talent upgrades, I'm impressed by Duke's speed, size and depth. Duke has multiple 300-pounders, in many cases well over 300 pounds, who look ripped, not tubby, and can run. This wasn't the case even a few years ago.

I don't think we'll see any more 250-pound starting centers.

Bob Green
08-12-2018, 07:08 PM
In addition to the obvious talent upgrades, I'm impressed by Duke's speed, size and depth. Duke has multiple 300-pounders, in many cases well over 300 pounds, who look ripped, not tubby, and can run. This wasn't the case even a few years ago.

Your comments fuel my already over-the-top optimism! :cool::cool:

PDDuke85
08-12-2018, 07:38 PM
With each and every Duke football update, fueled by the likes of Jim Sumner and Steve Wiseman, coupled with the anticipation of introducing my 2 nephews and newly minted niece in law( NC Sate) to Duke football at the Army game, I’m beyond excited. Stay healthy through camp, boys. See some on the 18th, see all on opening night!

OldPhiKap
08-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Jackson played with the first team. Hubbard also but he may have had a few snaps with the 2s. There was some fluidity.

And Duke's second-team line is probably about as good as its first-team. It's a pretty deep unit.

Love the info, Jim!!!!!

Indoor66
08-12-2018, 08:52 PM

I may have to come to Durham this year. Football may be enjoyable again!

chrishoke
08-12-2018, 08:59 PM
I may have to come to Durham this year. Football may be enjoyable again!

My friend, it already is.

Devil549
08-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Looks like Coach Cut will play best players no matter if the are True Frosh, building depth (aka an ACC level 2 deep), still recruiting speed and evaluating the program.

The O-Line and Kicking game will be key as said many times on this site.

The progress Coach and his staff has made with D-Line is outstanding. IMO our DBs and LBs have been ACC level most years now the D-line is catching up.

Finally IMO Coach Cut has Duke as a competitive ACC team now if we want to compete for ACC Championships and bigger Bowl Games time to build depth.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Looks like Coach Cut will play best players no matter if the are True Frosh, building depth (aka an ACC level 2 deep), still recruiting speed and evaluating the program.

The O-Line and Kicking game will be key as said many times on this site.

The progress Coach and his staff has made with D-Line is outstanding. IMO our DBs and LBs have been ACC level most years now the D-line is catching up.

Finally IMO Coach Cut has Duke as a competitive ACC team now if we want to compete for ACC Championships and bigger Bowl Games time to build depth.

I agree with you....with this one little caveat. It's a very tiny margin of error thanks to 40 years of misery.

Everyone in the ACC (except maybe Cheats and FSU) seems to be getting better, maybe not every single year, but on trajectory. This is why I think Duke's 6 game losing streak last season was so devastating....and why that 3 game rally at the end was crucial.

If Duke, with a 63 year old coach who is 10 years into a dramatic rebuild suffers two consecutive 4-8s or what have you, I worry the Cutcliffe momentum would've been lost forever. Rallying to 7-6 kept the trajectory in decent shape. If they have the kind of season we expect this year, Cut and Duke are back on track.

Dukelogger
08-13-2018, 12:17 PM
With the 4 home games being 1) Army 2) VT 3) UVA and 4) whats left of Fedoras squad come November. The two away games happen to be the two most rural destinations on the schedule, Baylor and Clemson. Hate to admit this, but I may have made it to 10 games total in my four years at Duke. Making up for lost time. And now I am raising kids in a Duke Football household that are excited for the fall Saturdays in Durham so I think I've made amends for all the Saturdays I spent in the parking lot outside of WW Stadium.

IF we can manage to win 5 out of 6 of these (Army, NW, UVA, UNC and Baylor) I think we end up 9-3 (Wake, Pitt, Central, and GT appear to be most winnable of the remaining group). Then lets say we play and beat a top 25 South Carolina team in the Belk Bowl and end up 10-3 and ranked #19 in the final poll. Daniel Jones comes back for his senior year, and we beat Bama in the 2019 opener. And Duke football is 6-0 in their last six games vs SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 opponents and ranked in the top 10. Would we build Cutcliffe a statue after the Bama game or wait until the season ends?

budwom
08-13-2018, 12:33 PM
^ great enthusiasm, but don't commission the statue until we actually beat Alabama. I do agree Cutcliffe will eventually be honored in a major way, as should (belatedly) some of the administration for putting an end to decades of underfunded, unsupported football and the resulting futility.

Bob Green
08-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Here is a video on Army and their first scrimmage:

https://goarmywestpoint.com/news/2018/8/11/football-first-fall-camp-scrimmage-in-the-books.aspx

swiseman
08-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Reposting a link to my scrimmage breakdown only because a new photo of freshman wide receiver Jake Bobo has been added. Photojournalist Chuck Liddy captured Bobo's strong concentration perfectly.

cato
08-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Reposting a link to my scrimmage breakdown only because a new photo of freshman wide receiver Jake Bobo has been added. Photojournalist Chuck Liddy captured Bobo's strong concentration perfectly.

Nice shot. I appreciate the links. I used to catch stuff from Laura Keeley on Twitter, but check Twitter less and less often as time goes by.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-13-2018, 04:42 PM
And now I am raising kids in a Duke Football household that are excited for the fall Saturdays in Durham so I think I've made amends for all the Saturdays I spent in the parking lot outside of WW Stadium.

IF we can manage to win 5 out of 6 of these (Army, NW, UVA, UNC and Baylor) I think we end up 9-3 (Wake, Pitt, Central, and GT appear to be most winnable of the remaining group). Then lets say we play and beat a top 25 South Carolina team in the Belk Bowl and end up 10-3 and ranked #19 in the final poll. Daniel Jones comes back for his senior year, and we beat Bama in the 2019 opener. And Duke football is 6-0 in their last six games vs SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 opponents and ranked in the top 10. Would we build Cutcliffe a statue after the Bama game or wait until the season ends?

Why only win 5 out of 6 at home?????? :mad: We will do better than that!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

If you're interested in joining the best tailgate in Blue Devil Alley, PM me for the details. We are a membership tent. We have award winning BBQ chefs preparing our meals, and the best Duke fans anywhere! I mentioned some names in the post to Steve Wiseman above :cool:

duke2x
08-13-2018, 05:41 PM
IF we can manage to win 5 out of 6 of these (Army, NW, UVA, UNC and Baylor) I think we end up 9-3 (Wake, Pitt, Central, and GT appear to be most winnable of the remaining group).

We can beat VT at home. A lot has changed with both teams since the night monsoon in Blacksburg last year. Preseason computers, as little as they are worth, put it at 50-50. It might be 34-31 instead of the usual low scoring affair.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-13-2018, 06:14 PM
We can beat VT at home. A lot has changed with both teams since the night monsoon in Blacksburg last year. Preseason computers, as little as they are worth, put it at 50-50. It might be 34-31 instead of the usual low scoring affair.

I agree VT is beatable.....last season, Duke was just about at their bottom of the valley when that game came along. Should be totally different thing this year....(though I don't think the venue is a big issue....we've won up there and lost down here...._

Nugget
08-13-2018, 09:32 PM
From looking at the depth chart, it would seem like the major hinge point for this coming season (other than the obvious of Daniel Jones' health and consistency) will be the health of the offensive line. It looks like our starting group should be pretty good, but if we have more than 1 or 2 injuries on the O-line then we would be throwing in a host of guys who either have no real experience or were very low-rated recruits, or both.

Dukelogger
08-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Why only win 5 out of 6 at home?????? :mad: We will do better than that!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

If you're interested in joining the best tailgate in Blue Devil Alley, PM me for the details. We are a membership tent. We have award winning BBQ chefs preparing our meals, and the best Duke fans anywhere! I mentioned some names in the post to Steve Wiseman above :cool:

Thanks very much for the offer! We're taking the train from Charlotte to Durham before the opener, just because my daughters (9 and 5) have been asking to do this for years, but I will be sure to stop by for the VT game.

BTW I grew up east of I-95 and my bbq typically is soaked in a vinegar base. I assume one of the bbq chef(s) knows the only real way to cook bbq:cool:

devildeac
08-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks very much for the offer! We're taking the train from Charlotte to Durham before the opener, just because my daughters (9 and 5) have been asking to do this for years, but I will be sure to stop by for the VT game.

BTW I grew up east of I-95 and my bbq typically is soaked in a vinegar base. I assume one of the bbq chef(s) knows the only real way to cook bbq:cool:

It appears CameronBornAndBred and TNTDevil are being called out here. What you say, gents? ;)

CameronBornAndBred
08-14-2018, 10:32 AM

It appears CameronBornAndBred and TNTDevil are being called out here. What you say, gents? ;)

We are well versed. ;)

HereBeforeCoachK
08-14-2018, 10:51 AM

I think that vinegar diving line runs between Raleigh and Durham....and the SC border. It's South and West of there people forget how to cook pork barbecue!!

Acymetric
08-14-2018, 11:17 AM
I think that vinegar diving line runs between Raleigh and Durham...and the SC border. It's South and West of there people forget how to cook pork barbecue!!

I'm not sure that's quite right, as I can't think of any reputable BBQ spots in Durham that are not (at least primarily) vinegar based.

swiseman
08-14-2018, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the invite, Ozzie. I'll be sure to get by this season. Sounds great

swiseman
08-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Dave Harding and I met with Cutcliffe after practice today. He said Trevon McSwain is back at defensive tackle. His experiment as an offensive tackle is done, for now. In the end, Cut wants the extra depth along his defensive front over getting McSwain ready to play on offense. He thought the rotation on the interior at defensive line was too thin in the second half of the scrimmage and it hurt the team.

"I am encouraged by Tahj Rice and Elijah Brown but they are still freshmen," Cutcliffe said. "We are going to try to bring them along as well."

CameronBornAndBred
08-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Has the team started preparing specifically for the Army option yet, or are they still in general practice mode?

Bob Green
08-15-2018, 03:45 PM
He said Trevon McSwain is back at defensive tackle. His experiment as an offensive tackle is done, for now.

Good news for the DL. McSwain was solid at DT last season after switching from DE: 23 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks.

swiseman
08-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Has the team started preparing specifically for the Army option yet, or are they still in general practice mode?

They started working on Army last Sunday

Bob Green
08-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Podcast: https://play.google.com/music/listen?_ga=2.111684620.98647138.1534282239-1927017946.1476636703#/ps/Itzdznhrwi3kxyqb42mmhlkmvze

David Shumate, Dave Harding and John Roth. Guests include Daniel Jones and Zac Roper. 52 minutes of Duke football discussion.

devildeac
08-15-2018, 04:26 PM

Best defense against the Army ground attack:

NSDukeFan
08-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Best defense against the Army ground attack:

I’m not sure if that’s legal.

OldPhiKap
08-15-2018, 06:14 PM

Heck, this is America. We’re all packing these.

richmclean
08-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Legality won’t matter to the Holes. Be prepared.

CameronBornAndBred
08-16-2018, 06:51 AM
Duke is doing a cool promotion, selling $8 (4/$27) tickets to Durham residents for the Army game. That is a smart move to get locals in the stands.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Duke is doing a cool promotion, selling $8 (4/$27) tickets to Durham residents for the Army game. That is a smart move to get locals in the stands.

One thing I've not noticed much of is a push to get people in the stands since Cutcliffe took over, after an initial push. That said, I've only lived in the RDU area for a part of that time....and was overseas for part of that time. So maybe there is crowd generating activities I am not aware of....and of course they need more student involvement.(And I think noon games are poorly attended, and we've had a lot of those).

Maybe someone can make me feel better about these efforts...

uh_no
08-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Maybe someone can make me feel better about these efforts...

You're not paying attention then, mate. They've implemented the most draconian security measures in college football to make the butner county penitentiary inmates feel right at home.

Not the football team's fault, I know, but shame they have to fight against such BS.

budwom
08-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Dave Harding and I met with Cutcliffe after practice today. He said Trevon McSwain is back at defensive tackle. His experiment as an offensive tackle is done, for now. In the end, Cut wants the extra depth along his defensive front over getting McSwain ready to play on offense. He thought the rotation on the interior at defensive line was too thin in the second half of the scrimmage and it hurt the team.

"I am encouraged by Tahj Rice and Elijah Brown but they are still freshmen," Cutcliffe said. "We are going to try to bring them along as well."

Steve, I'm waiting for your article on Duke's extra special defensive tackle talent: who else can put Tangelo-Brown-Frye-Rice out like we can, other than perhaps some Chinese restaurant? And all those guys have talent!

Bob Green
08-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Coach Cutcliffe video interview:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211767859&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Coach indicates the team will scrimmage again on Friday. For Jim Sumner and Steve Wiseman, will the media be able to attend Friday's scrimmage?

gep
08-16-2018, 11:17 PM

Is there an Army peesence in the area? Maybe military can help attendance at this game

sagegrouse
08-16-2018, 11:30 PM
Is there an Army peesence in the area? Maybe military can help attendance at this game

Fort Bragg is an immense Army base outside Fayetteville. Per Google search item (???):

Fort Bragg is the largest US Army base by population, serving a population of 52,280 active duty Soldiers, 12,624 Reserve Components and Temporary Duty students, 8,757 civilian employees, 3,516 Contractors, and 62,962 active duty family members. There are 98,507 Army retirees and family members in the area.

How about free bus service?

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'My Dad and Mom attended Duke football games while Dad was at Fort Bragg during WW II'

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2018, 07:29 AM
Yardbarker made a list of the top 25 players on offense and defense.

Joe Giles-Harris is included.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/the-top-25-defensive-players-in-college-football-for-2018/ss-BBLLHkJ?li=BBnb7Kz#image=10

peloton
08-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Yardbarker made a list of the top 25 players on offense and defense.

Joe Giles-Harris is included.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/the-top-25-defensive-players-in-college-football-for-2018/ss-BBLLHkJ?li=BBnb7Kz#image=10

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Our defense is receiving lots of preseason hype...deservedly so I believe (but the proof will be in the pudding of course). JGH and Ben Humphries are a mighty impressive tandem leading the linebacker corps, not to overlook the others in this unit.

By the way, I noticed no player from the program 8 miles down the road that can't play by the rules made this list. I'm shocked by this...yes, shocked I say.

budwom
08-17-2018, 12:44 PM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Our defense is receiving lots of preseason hype...deservedly so I believe (but the proof will be in the pudding of course). JGH and Ben Humphries are a mighty impressive tandem leading the linebacker corps, not to overlook the others in this unit.

By the way, I noticed no player from the program 8 miles down the road that can't play by the rules made this list. I'm shocked by this...yes, shocked I say.

proof in the pudding, indeed. Gotta see how the co-coordinators work, see if we have a good second cornerback, see if we can somehow gamble less and not get burned by so many long plays. Should be able to do so with all the current pieces...should be able to get a pass rush and therefore not blitz as often. Gonna find out soon enough.

devildeac
08-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Two weeks and counting...

Acymetric
08-17-2018, 01:10 PM
proof in the pudding, indeed. Gotta see how the co-coordinators work, see if we have a good second cornerback, see if we can somehow gamble less and not get burned by so many long plays. Should be able to do so with all the current pieces...should be able to get a pass rush and therefore not blitz as often. Gonna find out soon enough.

I haven't quite figured out how to explain this yet, but I am not quite as concerned about the explosives as everyone else is (although I acknowledge that even the coaches have expressed concern there). I would rather be the team that gives up the bomb every once in a while but holds extremely firm the majority of the time than be a team that limits explosives but gives up 4-6 yards on every play and lets teams march down the field methodically. I didn't do a full analysis of each loss, but it seemed from spot-checking that the majority of those explosive plays (outside of the Pitt game, which was just ugh) did not lead to TDs, and many didn't even lead to field goals, which means that sure, we gave up a 20 yard pass play but then the defense held firm and forced a punt, FG, or missed FG rather than a TD in the subsequent plays. Other than Pitt, we didn't lose any games because of explosive plays, we lost due to a complete inability to put points on the board.

budwom
08-17-2018, 01:30 PM
I haven't quite figured out how to explain this yet, but I am not quite as concerned about the explosives as everyone else is (although I acknowledge that even the coaches have expressed concern there). I would rather be the team that gives up the bomb every once in a while but holds extremely firm the majority of the time than be a team that limits explosives but gives up 4-6 yards on every play and lets teams march down the field methodically. I didn't do a full analysis of each loss, but it seemed from spot-checking that the majority of those explosive plays (outside of the Pitt game, which was just ugh) did not lead to TDs, and many didn't even lead to field goals, which means that sure, we gave up a 20 yard pass play but then the defense held firm and forced a punt, FG, or missed FG rather than a TD in the subsequent plays. Other than Pitt, we didn't lose any games because of explosive plays, we lost due to a complete inability to put points on the board.

Fair assessment, but since we're hoping the offense is better this year, why not get them the ball earlier rather than later? I think (and others have mentioned this) that Fields tended to break well on the ball in front of him, and broke poorly on those behind him. He was awful in the bowl game. Too many times we left receivers wide open in the secondary, would be nice to fix that.
And we definitely need to field punts better...Rahming was simply awful, eschewing the fair catch numerous times just to watch the ball roll 20 yards...gotta improve on that.

swiseman
08-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Coach Cutcliffe video interview:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211767859&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Coach indicates the team will scrimmage again on Friday. For Jim Sumner and Steve Wiseman, will the media be able to attend Friday's scrimmage?

Nope. This one is closed. That's standard procedure. Only the first one is open.

Avvocato
08-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Nope. This one is closed. That's standard procedure. Only the first one is open.

Here’s the story from goduke.com on the scrimmage with links to interviews with Cut, joe Giles-Harris and others.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211768560&DB_OEM_ID=4200

duke2x
08-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Fort Bragg is an immense Army base outside Fayetteville. Per Google search item (???):

Can we invite Seymour Johnson and Camp Lejeune instead? ;) (I don't think it will matter with Army replacing its QB for sure and 4 OL.)

Bob Green
08-18-2018, 07:23 AM
...see if we have a good second cornerback...

The second cornerback is the one big defensive unknown headed into the season. I'm very optimistic on the defense overall but replacing Fields is an unknown although it isn't unreasonable to expect the new corner to be better than Fields. If that turns out to be true, the defense will be very good.

Bob Green
08-18-2018, 07:50 AM
Here’s the story from goduke.com on the scrimmage with links to interviews with Cut, joe Giles-Harris and others.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211768560&DB_OEM_ID=4200

It sounds like freshman RB Mataeo Durant had a good evening. The running game certainly appears to be in good shape headed into the season. I'm 99 percent certain Durant will redshirt but it is nice to read he has the skill to play immediately.

Avvocato
08-18-2018, 01:13 PM
It sounds like freshman RB Mataeo Durant had a good evening. The running game certainly appears to be in good shape headed into the season. I'm 99 percent certain Durant will redshirt but it is nice to read he has the skill to play immediately.

Unless he’s demonstrably better than Jackson or Hubbard, I agree. He should redshirt, unless circumstances dictate otherwise. I think we have nice depth with our top 3, but love knowing we may have something with Durant as well.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-18-2018, 01:18 PM
According to Cut's interview, Austin Parker has inched back ahead as top punter, while Wareham was apparently 100% again on kicks. Also two good options for kick offs. Should be upgrade from recent past.

Bob Green
08-19-2018, 06:25 AM
There is an excellent Jim Sumner article up on the front page with lots of little details on how things are going in practice:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/8/19/17755546/jim-takes-in-meet-the-blue-devils-duke-football

The gem from my run game obsessed perspective:

Cutcliffe dropped some tantalizing hints about running backs Brittain Brown and Deon Jackson.

“We’re going to go with putting Brittain and Deon on the field at the same time, in different positions. We’re going to have some fun with that.”

I'm an old school type fan who believes a team has to establish the run in order to set-up the pass.

budwom
08-19-2018, 07:15 AM
There is an excellent Jim Sumner article up on the front page with lots of little details on how things are going in practice:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/8/19/17755546/jim-takes-in-meet-the-blue-devils-duke-football

I'm an old school type fan who believes a team has to establish the run in order to set-up the pass.

What I like about Jackson and Brown playing together is that Jackson is said to be a good receiver, and one of our clear weaknesses last year was getting receivers open. If Jackson can provide that, I'm all for it..more of him, more of pass catching tight ends like Gray if our WRs again struggle.

TruBlu
08-19-2018, 08:48 AM
What I like about Jackson and Brown playing together is that Jackson is said to be a good receiver, and one of our clear weaknesses last year was getting receivers open. If Jackson can provide that, I'm all for it..more of him, more of pass catching tight ends like Gray if our WRs again struggle.

I hope they aren’t “Running on Empty” this year.

budwom
08-19-2018, 02:32 PM
I hope they aren’t “Running on Empty” this year.

So on offense we can go with Jackson Brown, and on defense the new iteration of Paul Dietzel's Chinese Bandits, the Tangelo Brown Frye Rice tackles...

loran16
08-19-2018, 09:55 PM

Reminds me of the year where Duke moved Des Scott to WR, which worked exceedingly well in the slot. Even if we don't have the depth of that team - Jela Duncan, Josh Snead, and Juwan Thompson were an absurd amount of riches at the position - I love the idea of putting both guys on the field and having one line up at the slot position, assuming they can keep their energy that way for the 2nd half.

Reilly
08-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Saw this from former Duke player Rob Drum:

http://robdrum.us/10-things-i-learned-from-playing-for-coach-david-cutcliffe/

There should be some retrospective thread on Cut's first 10 years. Hard to believe the lightning delay against JMU was 10 years ago.

Bob Green
08-20-2018, 04:53 AM
Reminds me of the year where Duke moved Des Scott to WR, which worked exceedingly well in the slot.

2012. Scott had a couple of key catches on the final drive where Jamison Crowder caught the winning TD in the win over Carolina to make Duke bowl eligible for the first time since 1994. :cool:

HereBeforeCoachK
08-20-2018, 06:40 AM
2012. Scott had a couple of key catches on the final drive where Jamison Crowder caught the winning TD in the win over Carolina to make Duke bowl eligible for the first time since 1994. :cool:

...and if that drive doesn't happen, no telling where we are today. Perhaps a few years into another coach's tenure.....

OZZIE4DUKE
08-20-2018, 07:45 AM

There should be some retrospective thread on Cut's first 10 years. Hard to believe the lightning delay against JMU was 10 years ago.
Wow! Just wow! This is a must read. The hard part is applying it to my own life. LGD GTHc!

mbd1mbd1
08-20-2018, 09:26 AM

The part about the game day grass.....

Spring Break, 1998. My girlfriend and I had built some Star Wars model rockets and had a couple friends visiting from other colleges. We took them down to Wally Wade and just shot them off a few times right from the middle of the field. Nobody even noticed, or if they did, they didn't say anything. Granted it was March, but I bet you we couldn't do that today.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Wow! Just wow! This is a must read. The hard part is applying it to my own life. LGD GTHc!

That is awesome indeed. I text my three children (college through 31 years old) a little inspirational life message every morning I call "the Daily Dad" - I used one of Cut's lessons today!

richmclean
08-21-2018, 07:18 PM
CBS Sports has Duke the most underrated team in the ACC with VT the most overrated:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/duke-picked-most-underrated-team-in-acc-by-cbs-sports-writers/

Quote:
Duke: The Blue Devils are the second-best team in the Coastal Division, but nobody is talking about them. David Cutcliffe is as reputable as they come as a quarterback guy, and he thinks Daniel Jones is special. That's good enough for me, but I happen to like what I've seen out of the kid with my own eyes, too. Duke also returns almost all of its top pass catchers and has an offensive line group that is full of upside guys that got their feet wet last season. With one of the best linebacking units in the country, a talented secondary and plenty of experience, this is a cycle-up year for Duke. A start of 2-1 or better will net at least nine wins. -- Barton Simmons (also Chip Patterson)

More to the article. LGD!

OldPhiKap
08-21-2018, 08:51 PM
CBS Sports has Duke the most underrated team in the ACC with VT the most overrated:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/duke-picked-most-underrated-team-in-acc-by-cbs-sports-writers/

Quote:
Duke: The Blue Devils are the second-best team in the Coastal Division, but nobody is talking about them. David Cutcliffe is as reputable as they come as a quarterback guy, and he thinks Daniel Jones is special. That's good enough for me, but I happen to like what I've seen out of the kid with my own eyes, too. Duke also returns almost all of its top pass catchers and has an offensive line group that is full of upside guys that got their feet wet last season. With one of the best linebacking units in the country, a talented secondary and plenty of experience, this is a cycle-up year for Duke. A start of 2-1 or better will net at least nine wins. -- Barton Simmons (also Chip Patterson)

This is my quiet view too, and our defense is the stronger unit.

Biggest struggle (besides health of course) is the schedule — lots of hard road games.

Good find, thanks!

Troublemaker
08-21-2018, 09:13 PM
From looking at the depth chart, it would seem like the major hinge point for this coming season (other than the obvious of Daniel Jones' health and consistency) will be the health of the offensive line. It looks like our starting group should be pretty good, but if we have more than 1 or 2 injuries on the O-line then we would be throwing in a host of guys who either have no real experience or were very low-rated recruits, or both.

I agree. I'm not as up to date on this team as many posters here, but my take is that with a healthy and performing O-line, Duke's going to win 8+ games. An injured or otherwise bad O-line, and Duke's bowl chances are jeopardized. By most accounts (including the important people's), this is the most talent we've had in the Cut era. Very exciting.

duke2x
08-21-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:

So much for flying under the radar. We will see in 10 days how we look.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-21-2018, 11:34 PM
So much for flying under the radar. We will see in 10 days how we look.

And that, my friends, is very exciting! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif LGD! GTHc! 9F! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

richmclean
08-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Good article on Jake Bobo:
https://balldurham.com/2018/08/20/duke-football-know-name-jake-bobo/

Money quote:
While Bobo is expected to begin the season as part of the second unit of receivers, don’t be surprised if he gets plenty of snaps throughout the year. And if he displays the same skills he has shown thus far in practice, don’t be surprised if he eventually moves his way into the starting lineup.

Read on 247 he was a 4-star FWIW.

LGD!!!

Bob Green
08-22-2018, 05:22 PM

I'm way late responding to this post so apologies for my tardiness.

While the back-ups along the offensive line are certainly lacking experience, I completely disagree with them being characterized as "very low-rated recruits." This is not true.

Assuming the following players are the starters (an assumption but I'm not crawling out on a limb):

LT: Christian Harris
LG: Julian Santos
C: Zach Harmon
RG: Rakavious Chambers
RT: Robert Kraeling

Here are the back-ups with their Stars and Points per ESPN:

OT: Jaylen Miller - 4 Stars (80 points)
C: Jack Wohlabaugh - 3 Stars (79 points)
OG: Casey Holman - 3 Stars (79 points)
C: Will Taylor - 3 Stars (79 points)
OT: Liam Smith - 3 Stars (78 points)
OG: Jacob Rimmer - 3 Stars (78 points)
OT: Patrick Leitten - 3 Stars (78 points) - currently recovering from knee surgery
OG: Zach Baker - 3 Stars (76 points)
OL: Maurice McIntyre - 3 Stars (76 points)
OL: Peace Addo - 3 Stars (74 points)

Nine of 10 back-up offensive linemen are minimum 3 Stars and 76 points, which is closer to 4 Stars than 2 Stars. To reiterate my point, the back-up offensive linemen are not "very low-rated recruits." They are talented players lacking experience.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-22-2018, 05:30 PM
Nine of 10 back-up offensive linemen are minimum 3 Stars and 76 points, which is closer to 4 Stars than 2 Stars. To reiterate my point, the back-up offensive linemen are not "very low-rated recruits." They are talented players lacking experience.

Interesting info, thanks.....also, I believe that Daniel Jones was just a 2* recruit and not even ranked in the state of NC. It seems to me one of Cut's real skills - along with his staff - is the ability to develop players that perform above their recruiting grade status.

jimsumner
08-22-2018, 05:59 PM

While the back-ups along the offensive line are certainly lacking experience, I completely disagree with them being characterized as "very low-rated recruits." This is not true.

Assuming the following players are the starters (an assumption but I'm not crawling out on a limb):

OT: Patrick Leitten - 3 Stars (78 points) - currently recovering from knee surgery

Bob, You've proven the point that the backup OL are not low-rated recruits.

That does not prove that they are talented players lacking experience. That remains TBD.

Bob Green
08-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Bob, You've proven the point that the backup OL are not low-rated recruits.

That does not prove that they are talented players lacking experience. That remains TBD.

You are correct. My post went a bridge too far.

richmclean
08-23-2018, 01:49 AM
Without experience the only two ways to indicate talent are the two-deep and rankings such as they are.

CameronBlue
08-23-2018, 07:14 AM
I haven't kept up with the entire thread but I can't recall a discussion of the return game. It's no coincidence that under Cut, Duke's most successful teams have featured players with breakaway speed, Crowder, Wilson and Edwards, who I think led at least one or two KO return statistical categories nationwide. Key returns by Wilson against ND, Edwards against GT, PITT and the Holes all came at key moments in close games. Then there was the 2013 game against State when Edwards returned interceptions for TDs on like 8 consecutive plays or something outrageous. So who does Duke turn to this year at the return positions?

devildeac
08-23-2018, 09:35 AM
I haven't kept up with the entire thread but I can't recall a discussion of the return game. It's no coincidence that under Cut, Duke's most successful teams have featured players with breakaway speed, Crowder, Wilson and Edwards, who I think led at least one or two KO return statistical categories nationwide. Key returns by Wilson against ND, Edwards against GT, PITT and the Holes all came at key moments in close games. Then there was the 2013 game against State when Edwards returned interceptions for TDs on like 8 consecutive plays or something outrageous. So who does Duke turn to this year at the return positions?

Ha! You have him confused with Leon Wright who performed a similar feat against Army but I think it was only 6 consecutive plays. :rolleyes:

johnb
08-23-2018, 10:42 AM

2018 Super Bowl, Pats vs Eagles
High School Ratings, Starting Offensive Lines

New England
C David Andrews 3 Stars Georgia
LG Joe Thuney 0 NC State
LT Nate Solder 3 Colorado
RG Shaquille Mason 3 Georgia Tech
RT Cameron Fleming 3 Stanford

Philadelphia
C Jason Kelce 0 Stars Cincinnati
LG Stefen Wisniewski 4 Penn State
LT Halapoulivaati Vaitai 4 TCU
RG Brandon Brooks 3 Miami (OH)
RT Lane Johnson 0 Oklahoma

On their entire roster, the Pats had one 5 star recruit (Malcolm Brown, DT, Tackle) and three 4 stars (Gronk and an LB and CB; Brady predates the star rankings but was an elite recruit).
Patriot starters had a 2.7 average star rating (brought down by 5 unrated players), while the Eagle starters averaged 3.5 stars

Best story: Lane Johnson was a 6'5" 202 lb unrated small town Texas quarterback who went juco after hs. He transferred to Oklahoma, where he was a 270 pound DE and TE. Coach Stoops asked the weight coach how long it would take Johnson to get to 300 pounds to play O Line. Answer: a week and a cheeseburger. Lane ended up as a 6'6" 317 lb steamroller at OU. While "only" a 3rd team All American, he starred at combines and all star games and was drafted in the 1st round, 4th overall, in 2013. He's started for the Eagles since then, aside from the 2 periods of time he was suspended for using PED's (he & his legal team dispute the details). He's been an All Pro with a $65m contract extension and won a SB ring--which is pretty good for a former 200 pound unrated qb.

Source: Wikipedia, 247 Sports and mostly https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/1/23/16920720/super-bowl-2018-patriots-eagles-high-school-recruiting-ratings

Acymetric
08-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Ha! You have him confused with Leon Wright who performed a similar feat against Army but I think it was only 6 consecutive plays. :rolleyes:

I really enjoyed the bit of trivia that the only players to get pick-sixes on back to back defensive snaps in NCAA history both did it for Duke (Wright against Army, Edwards against State), but unfortunately Houston and Florida both did it in the last couple years.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-23-2018, 10:51 AM

Both Leon Wright (vs Army) and DeVon Edwards (vs. State) did this. They've been the only NCAA players to do so. What a record! Only at Duke!

devildeac
08-23-2018, 10:53 AM
I really enjoyed the bit of trivia that the only players to get pick-sixes on back to back defensive snaps in NCAA history both did it for Duke (Wright against Army, Edwards against State), but unfortunately Houston and Florida both did it in the last couple years.

Both Leon Wright (vs Army) and DeVon Edwards (vs. State) did this. They've been the only NCAA players to do so. What a record! Only at Duke!

Acymetric appears to have discovered nefarious (:rolleyes:) data that we/Duke are not alone any more. :(

OldPhiKap
08-23-2018, 11:04 AM

Everyone wants to copy Duke.

Acymetric
08-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Acymetric appears to have discovered nefarious (:rolleyes:) data that we/Duke are not alone any more. :(

I "discovered" it fairly recently by arguing with someone with extreme confidence that it was true, only to have them pull of Florida doing it last season. Sorry guys, I'm as bummed as you. :(

2 out of the 4 times it has been done doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but is still kinda cool at least.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-23-2018, 12:18 PM
I "discovered" it fairly recently by arguing with someone with extreme confidence that it was true, only to have them pull of Florida doing it last season. Sorry guys, I'm as bummed as you. :(

2 out of the 4 times it has been done doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but is still kinda cool at least.

Being the first counts for something as does being the first two ever.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-23-2018, 12:54 PM

BUT......did that player for Florida and Houston also return a KO for a touchdown in the same game?

budwom
08-23-2018, 01:40 PM
in assessing talent, I'm WAY more interested in how many Power 5 offers a kid has rather than ratings by the various recruiting services. The ratings guys pale in comparison to the professional (college) staffs who evaluate kids...I will take a three star kid with offers from a bunch of strong schools rather than a four star who has fewer prestigious offers. No, this isn't foolproof, but the bottom line is that strong college staffs are simply better at rating kids, much more often than not.

In the last few years, Duke has received commitments from a lot more kids with numerous Power 5 offers, and it's beginning to show, especially on the defensive side of the ball I would say.

Acymetric
08-23-2018, 01:50 PM
BUT...did that player for Florida and Houston also return a KO for a touchdown in the same game?

I really miss DeVon Edwards...really hate that his injury seems to have killed his chance at an NFL career. Maybe we'll see his name pop up sometime this season!

jimsumner
08-23-2018, 02:01 PM
I really miss DeVon Edwards...really hate that his injury seems to have killed his chance at an NFL career. Maybe we'll see his name pop up sometime this season!

Edwards is working at Duke, as an assistant in the football office. I believe he reports to Nina King.

He seems to be serious about making it a career.

I'm reasonably certain his playing days are over. It was a BAD knee injury.

swiseman
08-23-2018, 02:16 PM
Edwards is working at Duke, as an assistant in the football office. I believe he reports to Nina King.

Yes. Sadly that kickoff return at Notre Dame ended a promising career. Awful reality of the game. Devon is working the main athletics administration office with Nina King and Kevin White. He's a smart guy and will get opportunities to do plenty of positive things off the field. Here's his new bio:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211716148

HereBeforeCoachK
08-23-2018, 05:04 PM

That is so so sad.....he had big time talent and speed.

Bob Green
08-23-2018, 06:06 PM
in assessing talent, I'm WAY more interested in how many Power 5 offers a kid has rather than ratings by the various recruiting services.

The Star system has its limitations especially in football so looking at P5 offers is probably a better data point. Here are some of the Power 5 offers for our back-up offensive linemen:

OT: Jaylen Miller - Georgia Tech, Miami, Miss St, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Wake Forest, West Virginia
C: Jack Wohlabaugh - Ohio State, Boston College, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue, Syracuse
OG: Casey Holman - Auburn, Florida, Miami, Miss St, UNC, Oregon, South Carolina, VT
C: Will Taylor - Boston College, Illinois, UNC, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest
OT: Liam Smith - Miami, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wake Forest
OG: Jacob Rimmer - Louisville, Miami, Miss St, UNC, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest
OT: Patrick Leitten - Vanderbilt
OG: Zach Baker - California, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Oregon State, Purdue, Wake Forest
OL: Maurice McIntyre - None
OL: Peace Addo - UCLA

jimsumner
08-23-2018, 06:56 PM
The Star system has its limitations especially in football so looking at P5 offers is probably a better data point. Here are some of the Power 5 offers for our back-up offensive linemen:

OT: Jaylen Miller - Georgia Tech, Miami, Miss St, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Wake Forest, West Virginia
C: Jack Wohlabaugh - Ohio State, Boston College, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue, Syracuse
OG: Casey Holman - Auburn, Florida, Miami, Miss St, UNC, Oregon, South Carolina, VT
OT: Liam Smith - Miami, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wake Forest
OG: Zach Baker - California, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Oregon State, Purdue, Wake Forest

Ironically, McIntyre could turn out to be the best of the bunch. He was undervalued because of injuries and Cut swooped in and picked him up before the big boys could get involved. He and Wohlabaugh are the two guys on this list who could end up in the NFL.

BigWayne
08-23-2018, 07:02 PM

Did you ask the name of the player that did it? If you did and got a factual answer you probably would have found something like this:

"Florida's only touchdowns came when Duke Dawson and CJ Henderson returned interceptions for touchdowns. Those came on consecutive throws by Speight in the second quarter."

"After Steven Taylor returns an interception to the house for Houston, on the next Cincinnati snap it's Howard Wilson getting in on the act with a pick-six of his own to make it 40-16 Houston."

cato
08-23-2018, 07:57 PM
Ironically, McIntyre could turn out to be the best of the bunch. He was undervalued because of injuries and Cut swooped in and picked him up before the big boys could get involved. He and Wohlabaugh are the two guys on this list who could end up in the NFL.

I usually could care less, but coming from you, Jim, well, my head just exploded.

Literally.

Nugget
08-23-2018, 09:04 PM

Bob, thanks for the corrections. I shouldn't have injected the comment about "low-rated" OL backups without a better factual basis. I do, however, think that the concern about the relative inexperience of our OL backups remains valid.

Among our 10 2nd and 3rd string OL players you list, only Zach Baker has played any meaningful snaps. The others are either true or redshirt freshmen, or have essentially not played at all: Wohlabaugh didn't play a down in two years at Ohio St., Liam Smith played 9 mop-up snaps killing the clock against NCCU, and Jaylen Miller has played 14 career snaps. That still strikes me as a very thin O-Line.

Hopefully, the backups are as talented as their offer lists suggest and, if called on, they will perform to that talent level. But, I'd much rather see the starting O-Line stay healthy.

jimsumner
08-23-2018, 09:51 PM
I usually could care less, but coming from you, Jim, well, my head just exploded.

Literally.

Why isn't that ironic? The only player in the group without another P5 offer appears likely to become the best player of the group.

What am I missing?

Going back to the original point. Christian Harris and Zach Harmon are redshirt seniors. Zach Baker is a redshirt junior. Julian Santos is a true junior.

Those are the only recruited upper-class offensive linemen.

That's not a lot.

What happened?

Jake Sanders and Kammeron Schroeder never played a down for Duke due to injuries. Trip McNeil played a little but also suffered from knee issues.

All three were in the same class as Harmon and Harris and would be redshirt seniors had they stayed healthy and been productive.

Reno Rosene didn't pan out and left the program.

He would have been a redshirt junior.

Rosene and Baker were the only recruited OL in their class and Duke certainly didn't set out with the goal of bringing in only two offensive linemen. There were some misses.

Santos in 2016 and Chambers in 2017 were the first two recruited OL during Cut's Duke tenure to play as true freshmen. Certainly, they were/are pretty good but they also came into a program that had playing time available that perhaps should not have been available to true freshmen.

OldPhiKap
08-24-2018, 07:36 AM
I’m not worthy to start the game thread for Army, but — its only a week away!!!!!!

Acymetric
08-24-2018, 07:47 AM
Did you ask the name of the player that did it? If you did and got a factual answer you probably would have found something like this:

"Florida's only touchdowns came when Duke Dawson and CJ Henderson returned interceptions for touchdowns. Those came on consecutive throws by Speight in the second quarter."

"After Steven Taylor returns an interception to the house for Houston, on the next Cincinnati snap it's Howard Wilson getting in on the act with a pick-six of his own to make it 40-16 Houston."

Excellent clarification! So still the only school where the same player had back to back pick sixes.

Indoor66
08-24-2018, 08:39 AM
I’m not worthy to start the game thread for Army, but — its only a week away!!!!!!

I love a little phoney humility on DBR. 🤣😉😎

devildeac
08-24-2018, 08:42 AM

Paging Bob Green. Please report to the EK Forum. Your services are required. ;)

OldPhiKap
08-24-2018, 08:46 AM

Bob should have the honor of throwing out the first cadet.

OldPhiKap
08-24-2018, 08:56 AM
I love a little phoney humility on DBR. 🤣😉😎

Okay, you caught me. ;-)

devildeac
08-24-2018, 09:54 AM
Bob should have the honor of throwing out the first cadet.

Bob would likely keelhaul the first cadet. ;)

Bob Green
08-24-2018, 02:04 PM

Work got in the way of life once again. :D

HereBeforeCoachK
08-24-2018, 04:14 PM
Excellent clarification! So still the only school where the same player had back to back pick sixes.

....AND a KO return for a TD to boot!

cato
08-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Why isn't that ironic? The only player in the group without another P5 offer appears likely to become the best player of the group.

What am I missing?

Going back to the original point. Christian Harris and Zach Harmon are redshirt seniors. Zach Baker is a redshirt junior. Julian Santos is a true junior.

Those are the only recruited upper-class offensive linemen.

That's not a lot.

What happened?

Jake Sanders and Kammeron Schroeder never played a down for Duke due to injuries. Trip McNeil played a little but also suffered from knee issues.

All three were in the same class as Harmon and Harris and would be redshirt seniors had they stayed healthy and been productive.

Reno Rosene didn't pan out and left the program.

He would have been a redshirt junior.

Rosene and Baker were the only recruited OL in their class and Duke certainly didn't set out with the goal of bringing in only two offensive linemen. There were some misses.

Santos in 2016 and Chambers in 2017 were the first two recruited OL during Cut's Duke tenure to play as true freshmen. Certainly, they were/are pretty good but they also came into a program that had playing time available that perhaps should not have been available to true freshmen.

Sorry Jim. An attempt at humorous wordplay gone wrong!