PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams Court

CameronBornAndBred
08-02-2018, 11:52 AM
The Dean Dome is getting 'Ol Roy Court.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-to-name-smith-center-floor-for-roy-williams/17742697/

They should name the roof "Michael Jordan Ceiling".

BD80
08-02-2018, 12:16 PM
The Dean Dome is getting 'Ol Roy Court.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-to-name-smith-center-floor-for-roy-williams/17742697/

There will be one of those sign posts with markers pointing toward and listing the mileage to all of the golf courses ol' roy frequents ...

dudog84
08-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Another monument to cheating. To uNC, thanks for showing us what a bright shining example you are to emulate.

UrinalCake
08-02-2018, 01:29 PM
This seems appropriate, nobody knows more than Roy about ensuring his players reach their NBA floor.

left_hook_lacey
08-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Of course, Roy is going to respectfully decline to allow them to do this right? I mean, he's so humble, he is cut from Dean's cloth, and there is no way Dean E. Smith would have allowed such silly praise. I expect Roy to release a statement soon stating that while he's honored, it's not his court, Ole Roy is merely a ball coach doing his job and doesn't want the publicity. Right? Right!?:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
08-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Are they calling the home coaching box the "Bus Station"? Because you gotta throw everyone under the bus from somewhere.

kAzE
08-02-2018, 02:01 PM

Haha . . . "Jordan Ceiling" should be the name of the floor.

stedge
08-02-2018, 05:18 PM
There outta be a bus at center court

WiJoe
08-02-2018, 05:45 PM
they should call it sergeant schultz court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

dukejim1
08-02-2018, 09:39 PM
I haven't come with my best joke for this announcement yet but until I do I will say Roy deserves the honor. Basketball lifer with 3 natties.

dudog84
08-02-2018, 11:54 PM
I haven't come with my best joke for this announcement yet but until I do I will say Roy deserves the honor. Basketball lifer with 3 natties.

Two of which were gotten (I almost screwed up and wrote "earned", and then "attained") almost certainly with ineligible players, and one of which was gotten while they should have been on probation for the malfeasance of the first two. Sorry, I can't agree with you. I will agree he deserves sumthin'. He wouldn't like it.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-03-2018, 05:33 AM
they should call it sergeant schultz court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

Nicely played.....

elvis14
08-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Wow, very embarrassing for UNCheat. Roy cheated more than Dean, Gut and Doh. Continued lack of class and accountability. Embarrassment to the ACC.

NSDukeFan
08-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Wow, very embarrassing for UNCheat. Roy cheated more than Dean, Gut and Doh. Continued lack of class and accountability. Embarrassment to the ACC.

Isn’t that a tough call to figure out who the greatest cheater is?

UrinalCake
08-03-2018, 09:25 PM

I actually think D’oh may have been the only honest one of the bunch. Which would explain why he lost the respect of his players, was kicked to the curb, and hasn’t been heard from since.

rsvman
08-03-2018, 11:27 PM
I actually think D’oh may have been the only honest one of the bunch. Which would explain why he lost the respect of his players, was kicked to the curb, and hasn’t been heard from since.

Yeah. That or the fact that they went 8-20.

wsb3
08-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Perhaps they should name it Crowder Court..

TruBlu
08-04-2018, 09:49 AM
“Roy Williams Should Be In Court” Court.

JStuart
08-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Two of which were gotten (I almost screwed up and wrote "earned", and then "attained") almost certainly with ineligible players, and one of which was gotten while they should have been on probation for the malfeasance of the first two. Sorry, I can't agree with you. I will agree he deserves sumthin'. He wouldn't like it.

Since I can't spork you, I'll second this emotion absolutely and positively!

superdave
08-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Roy deserves this for on court accomplishments but he deserves to have it rescinded for off court stuff that should have a gotten couple of those banners ripped down.

Either way....congrats, Roy!

UrinalCake
08-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Yeah. That or the fact that they went 8-20.

These are not unrelated events 8-)

OldPhiKap
08-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Dean (Dome) is still bigger than Roy (Court), and Roy (Court) is still in Dean’s (Dome) shadow.

Appropriate on so many levels.

MartyClark
08-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Dean (Dome) is still bigger than Roy (Court), and Roy (Court) is still in Dean’s (Dome) shadow.

Appropriate on so many levels.

I'm going to take a contrarian and, perhaps unpopular, view here. I recognize there may be some sarcasm in your post, so maybe you are just referring to the UNC view of Saint Dean v Mortal Roy. Even so-

Roy is better than Dean. Better coach, better results, better person.

My knowledge of Dean comes largely from the old timers on this board and the Feinstein book "The Legends Club". Dean seems like a hypocritical, sanctimonious, son of a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. Roy plays the role of doofus but he seems much more genuine than Dean.

Roy has won 3 titles, Dean 2. Dean had some remarkable talent. Roy had very good talent at times. I think Roy did more with his 2016 and 2017 teams than Dean ever did with comparable talent.

Feel free to disagree. I kind of like Roy when all is said and done. Dean, not at all.

OldPhiKap
08-06-2018, 08:12 PM
I'm going to take a contrarian and, perhaps unpopular, view here. I recognize there may be some sarcasm in your post, so maybe you are just referring to the UNC view of Saint Dean v Mortal Roy. Even so-

Roy is better than Dean. Better coach, better results, better person.

My knowledge of Dean comes largely from the old timers on this board and the Feinstein book "The Legends Club". Dean seems like a hypocritical, sanctimonious, son of a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. Roy plays the role of doofus but he seems much more genuine than Dean.

Roy has won 3 titles, Dean 2. Dean had some remarkable talent. Roy had very good talent at times. I think Roy did more with his 2016 and 2017 teams than Dean ever did with comparable talent.

Feel free to disagree. I kind of like Roy when all is said and done. Dean, not at all.

I hate Dean with a burning seething passion. Still. He was a hypocritical blowhard and a sanctimonious whiner. ES, DS, ES.

He was also one of the top five coaches in college basketball history IMHO.

Roy is a sad sack, and his country bumpkin shtick is transparently insincere. But he is not as detestable as Dean. And while Roy is a good recruiter and is a very good game planner, he is not a great in-game coach and can’t hold a candle to Dean in terms of coaching.

All my opinion, of course.

Roy’s championships were accomplished through systematic cheating, and recruiting is based in large part on landing at two schools (Kansas and UNC) whose marquee names were built by others before he got there. While UNC was an established and successful historical name when Dean came, he built the program that exists today in the post-segregation era.

Long/short for me: Roy is less detestable than Dean for me although that’s damning with faint praise. Dean is a much better coach, not even close. Again, though, just personal opinions and I respect disagreements.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-06-2018, 08:45 PM
I hate Dean with a burning seething passion. Still. He was a hypocritical blowhard and a sanctimonious whiner. ES, DS, ES.

He was also one of the top five coaches in college basketball history IMHO.

Roy is a sad sack, and his country bumpkin shtick is transparently insincere. But he is not as detestable as Dean. And while Roy is a good recruiter and is a very good game planner, he is not a great in-game coach and can’t hold a candle to Dean in terms of coaching.

All my opinion, of course.

Roy’s championships were accomplished through systematic cheating, and recruiting is based in large part on landing at two schools (Kansas and UNC) whose marquee names were built by others before he got there. While UNC was an established and successful historical name when Dean came, he built the program that exists today in the post-segregation era.

Long/short for me: Roy is less detestable than Dean for me although that’s damning with faint praise. Dean is a much better coach, not even close. Again, though, just personal opinions and I respect disagreements.
Dean architected the system of cheating. From my perspective, that makes him far worse than droopy dog. And that’s saying something.

Devil549
08-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Who cares what they do in Chapel Thrill.....by the way DES and RW are both good coaches but not at the level of Coach K, Coach Knight and Coach Wooden IMO.

Everything they had won over there is tainted IMO the Carolina Way/Look the Other Way shows how they do not think they need to follow the rules.